Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

1954's "The Catered Affair" - Bette Davis and Debbie Reynolds

I'm recording this movie now on TCM. I plan on watching it this weekend - is it worth watching DLrs ? It's been said this is Davis' favorite movie she stared in. What do you say about it ?

by Anonymousreply 30March 30, 2024 12:46 AM

Musical version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 27, 2024 12:55 AM

It’s very touching and, IMO, Debbie Reynold’s best performance. Chayefsky while he was still good (“Marty,” too) before he became insufferable. What on earth did Vidal add to it?

So much better than the misguided William Finn, which Harvey Fierstein made all about him. Too bad, because Faith Prince, Tom Wopat, Keslie Kritzer, and Matt Cavenaugh were all quite good.

by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2024 12:58 AM

And it has Rod Taylor in his early prime!

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2024 1:01 AM

I thought her favorite was Dark Victory, but yes, it’s worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2024 1:23 AM

I just finished watching it - very entertaining. I think this was one of Bette Davis' best roles. Debbie Reynolds really surprised me - she was great in this movie.

Thanks everyone !

by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2024 2:32 AM

Also, Barry Fitzgerald was hysterical as 'Uncle Jack'. So believable as the old Irish uncle.

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2024 2:36 AM

LOVED this movie

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2024 2:37 AM

Debbie walks away with it. Lovely performance. Bette has her moments but she's miscast. The role belongs to Thelma.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2024 2:42 AM

I saw it,wasn’t “ fun” like her other pictures. Seemed kinda pointless. And I’m sorry-NO GLAMOR Rod Taylor was beautiful,Debbie was great,did I mention Rod was beautiful!- I don’t have it but there’s a famous pic of him fishing off a boat -something like that, with no shirt-Amazing man.

by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2024 3:00 AM

It was 1956, not 1954.

The son is played by Ray Stricklyn, who later became a publicist. Friend of Robert Osborne.

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2024 3:07 AM

The scene where Debbie's best friend has to admit to Debbie that she can't afford to be her Maid of Honor is painful to watch. Both actresses are sublime. Definitely Debbie's picture. She was so much more than fluff. The ex Mr Ethel Merman is pretty good, too.

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2024 3:08 AM

I love Bette Davis (she's my favorite actress from Golden Age Hollywood), but she was completely miscast in this role. Thelma Ritter, who originally played the character in the televised staged production, should've reprised her role in the film.

I think Chayefsky was right when he said that it was "an unfocused piece, in which the first act was farce, and the second was comedy-drama and the third was abruptly drama. There aren't a dozen actresses who could make one piece out of all that; Miss Ritter, of course, did."

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2024 3:15 AM

[quote]It’s very touching and, IMO, Debbie Reynold’s best performance.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2024 3:18 AM

It seems like the kind of role Shirley Booth could've played.

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2024 3:18 AM

She didn't have the toughness, r14.

by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2024 3:22 AM

Davis was pretty amazing in her emotional breakdown at the end. She brought tears to my eyes. There was such raw, deep emotion in that. I don’t know what Thelma Ritter did, but I wonder if she did anything like that.

Bette wasn't quite Bronx. She was more South Boston. But I thought she did remind me of the urban Irish-American housewives of that era. But why they stuck that awful wig on her is another matter.

Kathleen McGuire and Thelma Ritter:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2024 3:22 AM

Btw Ray Stricklyn later did a one-man show as Tennessee Williams that won awards in LA and played on Broadway.

Todd Fisher wrote about walking in on Bette Davis on the toilet at a party at Debbie’s house. Apparently she was amused, ad a good sport.

Eddie Fisher claimed to have had an affair with Bette,

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2024 3:32 AM

I'm not understanding all the love for Rod Taylor . I thought he was 'OK' looking in this film, not really all that handsome or sexy. I guess we really all see different things in people.

The Jane / Alice conversation was heartbreaking. And once they met again with their guys, it was heartbreaking all over again - you know Alice wasn't telling the truth, yet she was dedicated to her friendship with Jane.

Overall, a very touching movie that moved rather quickly - worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2024 2:01 PM

Bette Davis’s halting speech is annoying. And her accent doesn’t remotely match her brother’s. She doesn’t quite have the simplicity that I imagine Thelma Ritter would have brought to the role.

Debbie Reynolds is very good in this. She’s much more than her later styling of Vegas showgirl.

Ernest Borgnine is also very good.

by Anonymousreply 19March 28, 2024 12:03 AM

Oh dear is here.

by Anonymousreply 20March 28, 2024 12:55 AM

Gore Vidal, who did the screen adaptation of the play, claimed it was "Bette Davis' favorite picture of her middle period, and easily Debbie Reynolds' best picture."

by Anonymousreply 21March 28, 2024 1:29 AM

R19 Her brother is much older than her. He probably was born in Ireland, while she was born in the US.

by Anonymousreply 22March 28, 2024 2:02 AM

R22. Really? Bette looks so much older than Barry.

by Anonymousreply 23March 28, 2024 2:07 AM

Rod Taylor wasn't all that handsome, but he was attractive and magnetic.

The casting is strange - Rod Taylor was Australian, Debbie was from LA. There were probably a lot of young actors from New York who would have been more authentic in the roles without trying. Borgnine was Italian-American, from Connecticut. Bette was a Yankee. Ray Stricklyn was from Texas, I think.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Dorothy Stickney, yet (as Uncle Jack's girlfriend). She was good, too. And Jay Adler as Tom's partner in the plans for the cab. Madge Kennedy and Robert Simon as the Hallorans. Dan Tobin as the caterer.

Mae Clarke apparently has a small part as a saleswoman. She starred in the original film of Waterloo Bridge, in which Bette had a rather unimportant supporting role. She also took a grapefruit in the face from James Cagney in The Public Enemy, and was the female lead in Frankenstein. All in the early '30s. (Bette was up for the part in Frankenstein.)

by Anonymousreply 24March 28, 2024 2:12 AM

The musical was NOT written by William Finn, R2, but rather John Bucchino.

Harvey’s book wasn’t so much the problem, but his performance was. It was obnoxious and overwhelmed the restrained performances of his cast mates. His character also pulled too much focus.

Still, it wasn’t half bad (I saw it three times) and Faith Prince was truly wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 25March 28, 2024 2:13 AM

I didn’t like it. Thought Bette’s speaking rhythm was very mannered and pretentious. She did that in some roles. It just seemed like a nothing movie to me with the casting.

by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2024 2:22 AM

And if ya don't like it ya don't hafta come!

by Anonymousreply 27March 28, 2024 2:26 AM

Mr. Fierstein has rewritten the role of Aggie’s brother, who shares the family’s cramped apartment, changing him from a twinkling Irishman (Barry Fitzgerald in the movie, natch) to a twinkling homosexual.

Well, maybe twinkling is the wrong word. As played by Mr. Fierstein, Uncle Winston is occasionally witty but more often sad and snarly, given to barking admonitions to an uptight world unready to accept him and his (unseen) partner.

“I have broken the vows of silence,” Winston says in the requisite disastrous meet-the-potential-in-laws dinner party scene. He goes on to sing: “Immediate family can have such narrow minds/You’d think their heads were up their behinds.”

by Anonymousreply 28March 28, 2024 2:28 AM

[quote]Mr. Fierstein has rewritten the role of Aggie’s brother

He also retitled the musical. The movie is called *The* Catered Affair. The musical is called *A* Catered Affair. Obviously a marketing ploy to get it listed first in the Broadway ABCs listing.

by Anonymousreply 29March 28, 2024 3:52 AM

I watched the movie because of this thread. When Debbie Reynolds is making breakfast, she accidentally drops an egg shell into the bowl. I bet Bette Davis was off to the side thinking, "Christ, can't even break an egg. I should have insisted they cast Shirley Jones."

by Anonymousreply 30March 30, 2024 12:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!