Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Entertainment realities

It isn’t just music that has lowered talent requirements; it's all entertainment areas. Theater is nonexistent; the only thing they do onstage these days is redos of past hits. Movies are mainly action, computer-driven garbage or cartoons, and TV shows are unwatchable with poor scripts. We watch English or Australian TV shows for entertainment. I don’t see this improving in the future, given the taste levels of their audiences."

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2024 2:41 AM

I can’t watch Australian tv shows. I can’t take the accent.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2024 11:51 PM

We are officially in the dumbed-down version of life. I cant see how we aren't headed to a societal collapse and another dark age.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2024 11:52 PM

Thank you for telling us how sophisticated and cultured you are.

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2024 12:02 AM

I agree with the OP. We have accepted and normalized crap as entertainment - starting with 'reality tv'.

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2024 12:51 AM

OP has stated her boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2024 12:53 AM

[quote] Thank you for telling us how sophisticated and cultured you are.

Not likening an accent has nothing to do with sophistication. I don’t watch Jersey Shore, either because I don’t like the accents. Am I uncultured because of that? I don’t watch Long Island Medium because she’s a fake but even if she wasn’t, I can’t take the accents.

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2024 12:55 AM

It's not the pictures that got small, it was OP's brain!

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2024 1:05 AM

There's truth in that, but there's also truth in the fact that streaming, etc. has changed everything.

If you live in Bumfucke, Oklahoma, you can see foreign and cult movies with no difficulty. You're not constrained by three channels and PBS, or whatever passes for music on mainstream radio. In fact, you can listen to terrestrial radio from around the world or pick from hundreds of thousands of streaming stations.

You're not chained to the revival house or the TV because something is only going to be shown once (anyone else remember picking up the revival house calendar and plotting your next three months of moviegoing?).

But what we really need is an AI concierge to sort it all out. There's too much.

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2024 2:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!