Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hattie McDaniel Out At MGM

After much contention and bitter dispute, Hattie McDaniel is without a studio home, having been released from her MGM contract.

Unnamed insiders say the tension began when Miss McDaniel demanded to be seated at her own table at the Oscar ceremony, sitting away from her Gone With The Wind costars.

Further tension increased when she openly courted Walt Disney to be considered for a role in his announced movie project “Song of the South.”

Calls for comment to Miss Vivien Leigh and Mr. Clark Gable went unanswered.

In response, Judy Garland penned a letter to Variety magazine which stated, in part, “Hattie McDaniel is a talented actress and should seek out studios that appreciate her talent. MGM has long ignored the needs of the artists who poured their blood, sweat and tears into the profitability of that studio.”

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2024 4:12 PM

Bearking. Truly.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2024 11:11 PM

I was there.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2024 11:13 PM

They were sitting there waiting for her just like a spider!

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2024 11:13 PM

Hot snatch whether at MGM or Warners.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2024 11:14 PM

I’se had it wit de men folk, she was quoted as saying after being romantically linked with Tallulah Bankhead!

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2024 11:19 PM

🤣I was gonna say that R3! So, I'll say " you ain't taking Miss Ellen's Poitiers!".

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2024 11:37 PM

I am getting old. 44. But all of you (you'se) fuckers must be in the 75-90 year range!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2024 11:41 PM

Fuck no R7, I'm just 59.

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2024 11:42 PM

We may be 75-90, but we all look 45-50!

by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2024 12:34 AM

This should have been a Let's Be thread.

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2024 12:56 AM

Oh, the studio assembly line.

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2024 3:07 PM

MGM stand for 'Massa Gwine Massa'...

I. Am. Not. Your. Slave.

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2024 4:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!