Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #556: The “Oh, Mary Me a Little!” Edition

With one month 'til Tony nominations, "Suffs" joins the fray—tonight!

Lempick-a-little, talk-a-little amongst yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 600April 5, 2024 4:07 AM

Old thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2024 10:47 PM

Will the Tony committee announce a special Tony Award for Best Replacement?

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2024 11:21 PM

R2 they tried that years ago and they couldn’t figure it out

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2024 11:29 PM

Hoping this thread will be more exciting than the previous geriatric thread.

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2024 12:05 AM

Put some effort into it, r4.

by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2024 12:10 AM

What effort are you referring to?

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2024 12:14 AM

You keep bitching how "geriatric" the Theatre Gossip threads get, r4. Now I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but... you're an abrasive, ageist cunt.

[quote]What effort are you referring to?

Bring something to the table other than being an abrasive, ageist cunt.

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2024 12:18 AM

Is anyone interested in shrill Suggs after 1776 tanked?

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2024 12:19 AM

Suffs!

by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2024 12:19 AM

R7, I have in the last thread, only to be exhausted by reading, yes, geriatric arguments about Sondheim and Herman. So don't lecture me, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2024 12:21 AM

Imagine--being abrasive on Datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2024 12:25 AM

Girls! Girls! You're both abrasive cunts!

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2024 12:27 AM

A frau friend guilted me into seeing Suffs with her I. A few weeks….. how bad is it?

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2024 12:33 AM

Having worked with both Jan Maxwell and Alec Baldwin (on separate projects) I'm Team Jan all the way. Everyday I had to go into work to deal with Baldwin my stomach was in knots. Jan was lovely RIP.

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2024 12:50 AM

[quote]I have in the last thread, only to be exhausted by reading, yes, geriatric arguments about Sondheim and Herman.

"Exhausted", r10? Exactly who was forcing you to read them to the point of "exhaustion"?

by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2024 12:55 AM

As corny as it may be, I'm going to be on pins and needles waiting to hear the chatter from tonight's first preview of Suffs. And I thought the buzz from Lempicka was fun?!

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2024 12:59 AM

r15 Presumably the same person forcing you to read and respond to r10's posts.

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2024 1:02 AM

So when do the discount cards come flooding in for all these shows?

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2024 1:21 AM

R19 Shit Shows.

by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2024 1:31 AM

Here’s a fun fact: Alec Baldwin sits on the board of the NY Phil! Is he pro or anti Sondheim??

How’s that for a thread killer?

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2024 1:55 AM

From end of last thread where someone posted "Yesterdays" from Roberta. Why is the underlying material source novel, Gowns by Roberta, so hard to find? The Bradford Ropes source novel of 42nd Street just came back into print after years of being very hard to find. Maybe someone will rescue the Alice Duer Miller book too. It's a show no one does anymore that at one time seems to have been very popular.

Here's the 90 minute color special with Bob Hope, Janis Paige, John Davidson, and Michele Lee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2024 2:02 AM

There really is something to be said about diva's who do not sing their hits. Imagine going to a Liza concert and she doesn't sing NY, NY or Cabaret. Yes, she likes to sing boring Gershwin ballads that I've heard a million times before, but I'll sit through them knowing that she's gonna sing the hits. At least Bernie includes the songs she's known for, as well as throwing in new arrangements of Beatles/ Billy Joel songs or her version of Sondheim songs that she didn't get to sing. LuPone's show sounds like a college recital. Glad I saw her years ago.

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2024 2:16 AM

I had no idea there was a source novel for 42nd Street. I think Alice is delightful in this number...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2024 2:27 AM

R22 that’s what I’m saying.

You see Elaine Stritch you want Ladies Who Lunch

You see Barbra you want Don’t Rain on my parade

You see Betty you want Memory

You see LuPone you want big belting showtunes

I’ve seen Betty Buckley live twice now and have yet to see Memory.

I’ve seen LuPone three times where she didn’t sing Don’t Cry For Me Argentina. I’ve never seen her sing Rainbow High, Rose’s Turn, Send In the Clowns or As If We Never Said Goodbye, even though she has sang all of those at other concerts. Yet, I’ve seen her sing Sleepy Man 4 times and I hate that song.

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2024 2:29 AM

[quote]I’ve seen LuPone three times where she didn’t sing Don’t Cry For Me Argentina.

Doesn’t she have to pay Andrew Lloyd Webber every time she sings it? You know that ain’t happening.

You should see her Surabaya Johnny. The most overwrought performance of a song ever! I saw her sing it in NYC and people in Secaucus were rolling their eyes and looking at their watched.

by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2024 3:18 AM

Patti Lu should sing something more tasteful and understated... like the 1812 overture

by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2024 3:20 AM

Did anybody happen to see the first preview performance of Suffs?

by Anonymousreply 27March 27, 2024 3:23 AM

Patti should do like Ethel Merman used to do: go on talk shows, shove peanut brittle in her mouth and sing “There’s No Business Like Show Business.”

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2024 3:25 AM

I saw that ENTERTAINING MR. SLOANE with Alec Baldwin and Jan Maxwell, and the main thing I remember about the experience was that the theater was freezing. I later heard through the grapevine that this was at Baldwin's insistence, because in order for him to be completely comfortable onstage under the hot lights, the temperature of the entire theater had to be kept very, very cold.

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2024 3:27 AM

Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel *are* 70, Girls, 70!

Call Telecharge today!

by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2024 3:36 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2024 3:39 AM

[quote]You see Elaine Stritch you want Ladies Who Lunch

Not in that last Sondheim concert. LuPone did “Ladies Who Lunch” and Stritch scream-screeched her way through “I’m Still Here”. I’ve seen that same thing when Stritch was denied a Scotch at the Oak Bar.

by Anonymousreply 32March 27, 2024 3:41 AM

In concerts and cabaret there is a general agreement on the rights to music, so LuPone doesn’t have to pay ALW to sing the song.

I’m just saying I saw both acts of Far Away places and kept waiting for the “hit” songs that never came.

Then I saw her with Seth Rudestky and was very upset because he usually made her sing the songs I wanted to hear like Rainbow High and stuff from Oliver; but on my night it was Ya Got Trouble and Sleepy Man.

I also saw songs from a hat and everytime she picked a standard song she said “I don’t want to sing that” and then picked again and sang “calling you and fever”

I don’t need to see Patti sing Fever.

Its fine on a Peggy Lee record, but I don’t need to see her sing it when I paid $200 to hear her standards

by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2024 3:49 AM

R22 You are neat.

It would be like going the a Barbara Cook concert. Perhaps, the one that never happened, with the moving stage and swinging pieces of stage. if that show happened and then Babs did not sing any Candide or Music Man. I would have rioted.

So, I utterly agree, sing the fucking songs, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 34March 27, 2024 5:28 AM

R21, great idea, and I'm available...!

by Anonymousreply 35March 27, 2024 8:30 AM

Do you all know Patti's live concert album she recorded just as she was leaving LA, finishing up Life Goes On and about to begin rehearsals for Sunset Boulevard? That is a brilliant album of songs that I can still listen to over and over again. And the chat between songs is genuinely hilarious and utterly endearing. Made me a fan for life.

by Anonymousreply 36March 27, 2024 11:35 AM

I just read Patti's autobiography and was pleased to learn that Scott Wittman and (former DL'er) Marc Shaiman of Hairspray, among other things, helped her put that show together. Those boys also were in the Club 1957 scene in the arty NY early 80's with Keith Haring, Kenny Scharf and the like. The more I learn about those two, the more I find to love about them.

by Anonymousreply 37March 27, 2024 11:57 AM

Alec kept the theater cold to ensure his nipples were perky.

by Anonymousreply 38March 27, 2024 12:40 PM

R2, Could they make that posthumous, as well?

by Anonymousreply 39March 27, 2024 12:46 PM

R34, Barbara Cook refused to sing “Glitter and Be Gay” upon request in her concert appearances, knowing she could no longer do so.

by Anonymousreply 40March 27, 2024 12:54 PM

Poor old Larry Kert. He deserved a lot more than he got, and it seems he was really loved.

by Anonymousreply 41March 27, 2024 12:56 PM

Why would Larry need it? He actually got nominated for replacing.

by Anonymousreply 42March 27, 2024 1:29 PM

R42, Why wasn’t Judy Kaye for replacing Madeline?

by Anonymousreply 43March 27, 2024 1:32 PM

Barbara also rarely sang Till There Was You in concert. If you look at her live albums, it’s rarely listed

by Anonymousreply 44March 27, 2024 2:17 PM

[quote]Barbara Cook refused to sing “Glitter and Be Gay” upon request in her concert appearances, knowing she could no longer do so.

I hope I don't have to point out that this is a special case, considering the extreme difficulty of the song (or aria). Patti LuPone can/could still sing all of her hits, but often she simply refuses to do so.

by Anonymousreply 45March 27, 2024 2:19 PM

R43, the rule is that someone is only eligible for a Tony if they were part of the opening night cast. There was a petition by Hal Prince to nominate Kert for COMPANY because of the special circumstances, and the Tony administration agreed in that case. I don't recall if a similar petition was made for Judy Kaye in OTTC.

by Anonymousreply 46March 27, 2024 2:23 PM

I mean, I doubt Patti can sing much of the score of Evita other than “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina” now, R45. She struggled with it when she originally did it.

by Anonymousreply 47March 27, 2024 2:31 PM

London reviews all over the place for von Hove's Opening Night. In NYT, a critic I've for one have never heard of (his byline: By Houman Barekat. The critic Houman Barekat saw “Opening Night” in London. And his name doesn't link to anything, which is unheard of for Times writers) says it's a travesty, saying a work of art is being desecrated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 27, 2024 2:37 PM

She sang the hell out of it at the 2018 Grammys, r47.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 27, 2024 2:47 PM

Hourman Barekat sounds like an acronym for someone who doesn't want to be identified.

by Anonymousreply 50March 27, 2024 2:47 PM

Turns out he's been reviewing from London for the NYT for a couple of years but they don't have their stuff together enough to have his byline link. However, I do!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 27, 2024 2:50 PM

He has been reviewing all of the recent major London productions for the NY Times. If you scroll down to the bottom, you can find his reviews of For Colored Boys..., Picture of Dorian Gray, Hills of California, etc. Good writer, I think.

by Anonymousreply 52March 27, 2024 2:52 PM

R46 I thought the story was that Prince promised Madeline Kahn a Tony nomination if she left the show. Obviously, they couldn't have two nominees from the same show who did the same part. Liza was going to win regardless but Eartha Kitt was a likely nominee. Frances Sternhagen for Angel wasn't. The odds that Prince could do it were good.

by Anonymousreply 53March 27, 2024 3:11 PM

Speaking of Hal Prince, it's too bad Ruth Mitchell didn't write a book. I didn't know Florence Klotz was her partner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 27, 2024 3:15 PM

R47, I doubt if Patti could sing “Rainbow High” very well anymore.

by Anonymousreply 55March 27, 2024 3:35 PM

R44, In concert at Sanders Theatre in Cambridge, MA in the mid-1970s, an audience member shouted out at the curtain call “Come back in the fall”.

Barbara misheard it as a request for “After the Ball” from Showboat and let out a quizzical “Seriously?”.

by Anonymousreply 56March 27, 2024 3:47 PM

R55 she sang it just a few years ago (2019ish) with Seth Rudetsky in concert. This video was 2012

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 27, 2024 3:47 PM

R57, In the original key?

by Anonymousreply 58March 27, 2024 3:51 PM

My relative pitch say yes, r58.

by Anonymousreply 59March 27, 2024 3:53 PM

I said “other than” DCFMA. I know she can sing it. I’m talking about Buenos Aires, etc. R49.

by Anonymousreply 60March 27, 2024 3:58 PM

[quote]I thought the story was that Prince promised Madeline Kahn a Tony nomination if she left the show.

Prince would have been able to promise Madeline that he wouldn't petition to have Judy Kaye eligible for a Tony nom instead of Madeline, but that's not the same as promising Madeline a nom, because of course he had no control over that.

by Anonymousreply 61March 27, 2024 3:59 PM

It is in key R58, and it’s pretty impressive. It’s also 12 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 62March 27, 2024 4:00 PM

I'm far from the biggest LuPone fan -- at least, not any more -- but her voice is really in remarkable shape , especially for her age.

by Anonymousreply 63March 27, 2024 4:05 PM

I've always had a suspicion Barbra has terrible taste, R56's anecdote has proved me right. Show Boat still has one of the most beautiful scores written for the Broadway stage.

by Anonymousreply 64March 27, 2024 4:07 PM

Barbara Cook refused to ever sing Don McLean’s “Vincent” because it included a suicide.

by Anonymousreply 65March 27, 2024 4:12 PM

She was under constant medical supervision during her Evita run because she kept blowing her voice out, r63, and I think that's paid dividends. Patti's not perfect, but she does listen to experts and do what they tell her...mostly.

by Anonymousreply 66March 27, 2024 4:12 PM

R66, She admittedly allowed her hip to become “bone on bone” before agreeing to replacement surgery.

by Anonymousreply 67March 27, 2024 4:36 PM

[quote]because of course he had no control over that.

At that point in his career, nobody was going to say no to Hal Prince. He probably dined weekly with at least one member of the Tony voting committee. I’m sure if he quietly asked for special consideration for MK, he would have been able to get her the nomination.

It’s the same with Bernadette Peters and Into the Woods. I’m sure she quietly made it known not to nominate her because she wouldn’t have the time to campaign for the vote as she was headed to another project.

by Anonymousreply 68March 27, 2024 4:52 PM

The Opening Night reviews are brutal but I’m not surprised - it always sounded like a terrible idea. Doesn’t even sound like Rupert understood the film.

by Anonymousreply 69March 27, 2024 4:54 PM

R69, who's Rupert? And at least one of the reviews -- in the Guardian - is a rave, though I'm sure it's undeserved :-)

by Anonymousreply 70March 27, 2024 4:56 PM

And your Tony host is ... Ariana DeBose!

by Anonymousreply 71March 27, 2024 5:00 PM

I remember seeing Patti LuPone live in the 90's with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and she closed Act 1 with Being Alive. She cracked on the last high note "Beee-ing" Alive and the audience still applauded politely. She came back after intermission and stopped the conductor and asked him to go back to the bridge of Being Alive from the "but alone" part and sang the whole ending perfectly. The audience went wild. I was very impressed.

by Anonymousreply 72March 27, 2024 5:11 PM

R71: Noooooooo!

by Anonymousreply 73March 27, 2024 5:16 PM

thanks R21 for Roberta link

by Anonymousreply 74March 27, 2024 5:25 PM

I think the Tony powers that be would have been justified in hiring Ariana to host again if only because she hosted last year under incredibly difficult circumstances, but way over and above that, I thought she did a superb job of it. So I'm very happy about this news.

by Anonymousreply 75March 27, 2024 5:26 PM

[quote]I’m sure if he quietly asked for special consideration for MK, he would have been able to get her the nomination.

I'm assuming it was more like he told Madeline that if she left, come Tony time that she and not Judy would get the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 76March 27, 2024 5:31 PM

Well this explains a lot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 27, 2024 5:33 PM

Fun interview with Bonnie Langford. The first ten or fifteen minutes are about her time in Gypsy in 1973/1974 and Old Friends this past year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 27, 2024 5:35 PM

[quote]Well this explains a lot

Not really. The baby is due in "the fall" and Mendez is planning to "keep performing" in the show through July 7, so all those performances of MERRILY that she missed would have been very early in her pregnancy -- some of them maybe even before she got pregnant, depending on when in the fall she's due.

by Anonymousreply 79March 27, 2024 5:39 PM

IVF^^

by Anonymousreply 80March 27, 2024 5:41 PM

There's no fucking way that fiancee got her pregnant the normal way. the last vagina he was near was the one he came out of at birth.

by Anonymousreply 81March 27, 2024 5:43 PM

R81, I have no idea about that, but the woman is barely divorced from her second husband and now she's having a baby with her third before they're even married. She sure doesn't let any grass grow under her feet!

by Anonymousreply 82March 27, 2024 6:03 PM

She's merrily rolling along!

by Anonymousreply 83March 27, 2024 6:08 PM

true, r64, but After the Ball was not written for Showboat. And not by Kern.

by Anonymousreply 84March 27, 2024 6:10 PM

It’s interesting that someone who has played Mary Flynn for over a year has so many problems that she compounds by bad choices!

by Anonymousreply 85March 27, 2024 6:48 PM

Life imitates art, R85 :-)

by Anonymousreply 86March 27, 2024 6:52 PM

I'm sure Lindsay will be so happy that when people put their hand on her stomach and ask when she's due, she can finally have an answer for them.

by Anonymousreply 87March 27, 2024 6:53 PM

[quote]She sure doesn't let any grass grow under her feet!

Mooooooo!

by Anonymousreply 88March 27, 2024 6:56 PM

The Mendez girl is really a mess....

by Anonymousreply 89March 27, 2024 7:16 PM

In other news, Lea Michelle is preggers with baby #2.

by Anonymousreply 90March 27, 2024 7:23 PM

Yay! Gossip! More more more...

by Anonymousreply 91March 27, 2024 8:52 PM

Is it Jonathan's?

by Anonymousreply 92March 27, 2024 9:33 PM

That’ll be another reason for her to get the desk lamp out.

by Anonymousreply 93March 27, 2024 9:34 PM

DON'T MAKE ME GET OUT THE DESK LAMP, JONATHAN!

Because you know I will!

by Anonymousreply 94March 27, 2024 9:36 PM

R84 . . .

“The song was later famously used in the musical Show Boat to exemplify the 1890s style of music. There it was performed by Norma Terris. In the 1936 film version of the musical, it was performed by Irene Dunne, and in the 1951 film version, by Kathryn Grayson. Only the first verse and chorus were sung in Show Boat.“

by Anonymousreply 95March 27, 2024 9:38 PM

. . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 27, 2024 9:40 PM

. . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97March 27, 2024 9:41 PM

Yes, r96. I know. That was my point.

by Anonymousreply 98March 27, 2024 10:13 PM

A Tonya Pinkins custody tragedy in the making, perhaps? Or maybe Jonathan Groff is the sperm donor?

by Anonymousreply 99March 27, 2024 10:14 PM

[quote]A Tonya Pinkins custody tragedy in the making, perhaps?

For whom? What baby?

by Anonymousreply 100March 27, 2024 10:35 PM

And yet, she can, r55.

by Anonymousreply 101March 27, 2024 10:49 PM

Oh, Mary moving to Broadway over the summer.

by Anonymousreply 102March 27, 2024 10:59 PM

R100, she’s already got problems with her second hubby over their daughter. But she has solid custody and he has done some weird shit that made him look unfit.

by Anonymousreply 103March 27, 2024 11:12 PM

[quote] Oh, Mary moving to Broadway over the summer.

Where the ticket prices will go down or will be half-price in order to get asses in Broadway seats.

by Anonymousreply 104March 27, 2024 11:18 PM

Stop trying to make Ariana DeBose happen!

by Anonymousreply 105March 28, 2024 12:05 AM

She’s terrible. Truly. She is Exhibit A why I haven’t dated an actor since the 90s…

by Anonymousreply 106March 28, 2024 1:35 AM

It’s an undeniable fact that Patti took criticism for her diction and technique to heart, being a better vocalist in her 60s and 70s than she even was “in her prime”. I get that she doesn’t want to do 8 shows a week grind in a musical anymore, but it would be interesting to have her play a limited engagement or short run while she is in incredible voice. Since she loves 60s/70s rock/blues stuff so much it’s a shame somebody like Elton John or Paul Simon wouldn’t write her a song cycle/album/show.

by Anonymousreply 107March 28, 2024 2:20 AM

[quote]Barbara also rarely sang Till There Was You in concert. If you look at her live albums, it’s rarely listed.

She sang it on the 1987 Tony Awards (in the original key) as part of a tribute to Robert Preston following his death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108March 28, 2024 2:40 AM

[quote]Since she loves 60s/70s rock/blues stuff

You know who else loves that? Andrew Lloyd Webber! If only Whistle Down The Wind had a grandmother role!

by Anonymousreply 109March 28, 2024 3:57 AM

R108, Obviously, since they were both in the show and it was a tribute to him.

by Anonymousreply 110March 28, 2024 4:19 AM

Fuck Andrew Lloyd Webber and his Tory ass.

by Anonymousreply 111March 28, 2024 8:32 AM

Thanks for pointing out that they were both in the show, R110.

by Anonymousreply 112March 28, 2024 10:25 AM

R112, Apparently R108 didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 113March 28, 2024 10:29 AM

R108 just wanted to post that clip, R113.

by Anonymousreply 114March 28, 2024 10:33 AM

R108, Thanks for that clip! A bit of Barbara in the morning is always a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 115March 28, 2024 11:45 AM

R108, How awkward was it backstage between Barbara Cook and Mary Martin, who also participated in the Preston tribute?

Barbara revealed in her memoir that Mary had stopped speaking to her many years before after she forgot the first name of Martin’s gay husband when they both visited Barbara in her dressing room after a performance.

by Anonymousreply 116March 28, 2024 12:22 PM

[quote]Barbara revealed in her memoir that Mary had stopped speaking to her many years before after she forgot the first name of Martin’s gay husband

Geez, I just said, “Hello Janet” and the bitch got all up in my grill. Merman would have told me to go fuck myself and then laughed it off. Mary was working on Kaye Ballard level of crazy.

by Anonymousreply 117March 28, 2024 12:30 PM

Mary Martin seemed like a fake bitch while Ethel always came off as a real broad who spoke her mind.

by Anonymousreply 118March 28, 2024 12:45 PM

Martin's gay husband, Richard Halliday, seemed to be a drunken asshole if Mary Rodgers is to be believed.

by Anonymousreply 119March 28, 2024 1:08 PM

[quote]Mary Martin seemed like a fake bitch while Ethel always came off as a real broad who spoke her mind.

Wasn't Larry Hagman estranged from his mother Mary until he was middle-aged and she was elderly?

He was raised by his grandparents, while Mary pursued a Hollywood/Broadway career, which he resented.

He also did not care for his stepfather.

Afterward, Mary resided in Brazil for many years, while he was a young man.

by Anonymousreply 120March 28, 2024 1:38 PM

So Mary could be near Janet and the ranch she owned with her gay husband, Adrian. Cozy!

by Anonymousreply 121March 28, 2024 1:54 PM

Will Harper (who's straight, and currently in Uncle Vanya), many years ago before getting on that TV show with Ted Danson, was broke and not making a living doing theatre. He posted on Facebook that he needed a regular job. One of the only black male Broadway producers (who was gay) at the time saw his FB post and reached out to him personally, giving him various assistant duties which included eventually, sexual favors. Harper was repulsed but did it for a while, then quit as soon as he could. This went on for a few months until Harper got out.

by Anonymousreply 122March 28, 2024 1:56 PM

[quote]Mary Martin seemed like a fake bitch while Ethel always came off as a real broad who spoke her mind.

There are stories that Mary's gay husband would play "bad cop" with Mary as "good cop" whenever they had to manipulate matters to her advantage for her shows, even though they would work together behind the scenes to do so. One example is that Mary as Peter Pan wound up singing "Distant Melody" in that show, even though the song was originally intended for the character Wendy.

by Anonymousreply 123March 28, 2024 1:59 PM

What the hell is this Lempicka post? It popped into my feed as an advertisement.

For those who can't see it, it's just a picture of Eden Espinosa superimposed with the text: "Eden Espinosa is best known to gay men across the country as one of the best Elphabas of all time."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124March 28, 2024 2:21 PM

R122 . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 28, 2024 2:24 PM

R125...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126March 28, 2024 2:33 PM

Why has no one mentioned how execrably bad the sound design is in Dead Outlaw? Durand is a fine musical theatre actor, yet Cromer has him screaming the lyrics half the time, and he's unintelligible. The band is over-amped and the actors under-miked in a tiny house like the Minetta Lane. What a terrific show this would be if you could just hear the lyrics. And Thom Sesma steals the show.

by Anonymousreply 127March 28, 2024 3:03 PM

Well, r123, if you have Mary Martin in your cast, you're going to give her as many songs as she wants.

by Anonymousreply 128March 28, 2024 3:31 PM

I keep seeing headlines on Deadline that The Outsiders is selling out and doing really good business, yet I've seen practically no marketing materials for it and it doesn't have any names. I am assuming it's selling solely due to the IP, but do people really feel that fondly about The Outsiders?

by Anonymousreply 129March 28, 2024 3:35 PM

If you have Mary Martin in your cast, you're going to want to stand upwind.

by Anonymousreply 130March 28, 2024 3:53 PM

R129 the '80s film, with its handsome all-star cast, is popular among young women/teenage girls -- and the book is still required reading in middle school -- but I'm not sure if many of these same people are musical theater geeks.

Not everyone is a fan of musicals nor wants to see their favorite movie/book turned into a musical.

As for the show, it started previews on a Saturday (3/16), so its first week (3/12 - 3/17) it only grossed $150k.

Last week (3/19 - 3/24) it did 7 shows and grossed $725k.

Is that considered selling out?

I thought anything under $1 million was a flop these days.

🤷‍♂️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 28, 2024 4:47 PM

THE CHITS THEATRE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132March 28, 2024 4:47 PM

[quote]THE CHITS THEATRE!

Honestly, I think they could rename the Helen Hayes Theater. The last Broadway production she was in was in 1970.

But for Chita, it should be one of the musical houses.

by Anonymousreply 133March 28, 2024 5:06 PM

Helen Hayes is called the first lady of the American theatre, so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 134March 28, 2024 5:08 PM

There should be an Ethel Merman Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 135March 28, 2024 5:09 PM

[quote]Helen Hayes is called the first lady of the American theatre, so there's that.

These days she’s only remembered for her movies. Anyone who remembers her last Broadway performance is now an eldergay. Put up a plaque in her honor and rename the theater.

by Anonymousreply 136March 28, 2024 5:12 PM

The WML? panel shows Helen Hayes proper reverence on this 1957 mystery guest appearance @ 19:00.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137March 28, 2024 5:18 PM

No one under the age of 95 knows who Helen Hayes was.

by Anonymousreply 138March 28, 2024 5:18 PM

The people who watched the wonderful film CANDLESHOE know who Helen Hayes is.

by Anonymousreply 139March 28, 2024 5:21 PM

The theater should be renamed after Helen's more talented vaudevillian brother, Gabby.

by Anonymousreply 140March 28, 2024 5:24 PM

R136, she's not remembered for her movies, either, unless you're an eldestgay.

by Anonymousreply 141March 28, 2024 5:27 PM

A Jodie Foster movie from the seventies that isn’t even considered among her best kid movies? Gurl, please. Whatever Hayes was known for, it wasn’t film.

by Anonymousreply 142March 28, 2024 5:28 PM

I didn't say it was one of her best movies, I said it was a wonderful movie and one younger people have seen.

by Anonymousreply 143March 28, 2024 5:30 PM

R139, that movie came out in 1977--47 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 144March 28, 2024 5:37 PM

All of Helen Hayes' "younger" fans of age 60 clearly remember it!

by Anonymousreply 145March 28, 2024 5:38 PM

Angela Lansbury should also get a theater named after her.

by Anonymousreply 146March 28, 2024 5:59 PM

Aunt Helen...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147March 28, 2024 6:17 PM

Would Lansbury be the first person born outside the U.S. to be the namesake for a Broadway theater?

by Anonymousreply 148March 28, 2024 6:19 PM

We'll have a Lea Salonga theatre before an Ethel Merman or Angela Lansbury theatre.

by Anonymousreply 149March 28, 2024 6:34 PM

[quote]Would Lansbury be the first person born outside the U.S. to be the namesake for a Broadway theater?

Martin Beck was born in Hungary. But then again, he no longer has a theater named after him.

by Anonymousreply 150March 28, 2024 6:42 PM

The Porkalob Theater will forever be only three quarters finished.

by Anonymousreply 151March 28, 2024 6:44 PM

The inaugural program for the Chita Rivera Theatre: "An Evening With Rita Moreno."

by Anonymousreply 152March 28, 2024 6:57 PM

[quote]The inaugural program for the Chita Rivera Theatre: "An Evening With Rita Moreno."

Starring Ariana Grande

by Anonymousreply 153March 28, 2024 7:47 PM

They should rename the Lena Horne theater for Chits.

by Anonymousreply 154March 28, 2024 7:50 PM

The worst part about the Chits theater plan is that it is spearheaded by Eric Ulloa.

by Anonymousreply 155March 28, 2024 7:50 PM

Chita had the Fred Astaire awards renamed for her. That should be sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 156March 28, 2024 7:55 PM

R127, if your description of the sound at DEAD OUTLAW is accurate, that's very surprising and unfortunate.

by Anonymousreply 157March 28, 2024 8:40 PM

Second Stage owns the Hayes, and they are holding out for someone to give them big bucks for naming rights. They would never rename that theater after Chita unless someone paid dearly for them to do so. But anyway, Chita should have one of the larger musical houses named after her.

by Anonymousreply 158March 28, 2024 8:42 PM

[quote]Second Stage owns the Hayes, and they are holding out for someone to give them big bucks for naming rights.

Welcome to the Mike Lindell My Pillow Theater.

by Anonymousreply 159March 28, 2024 8:49 PM

New York Times May 17, 2085

The Patti LuPone theatre was demolished yesterday to make room for the Bernadette Peters memorial bench.

by Anonymousreply 160March 28, 2024 8:58 PM

Oh, Mary! has no business on Broadway. The flyovers will not get it, nor pay those prices for an 80 minute drag farce. How about the Orpheum? Stomp finally closed, didn't it?

by Anonymousreply 161March 28, 2024 8:59 PM

You wonder, don't you, R161, what genius peodcuers are thinking when behind some of these decisions--like when Taylor Mac and the "Straight White Men" things moved to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 162March 28, 2024 9:17 PM

[quote]No one under the age of 95 knows who Helen Hayes was.

This is a fucking theater thread on DL. Go peddle your idiotic comments elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 163March 28, 2024 9:21 PM

Will Lempicka even make it to opening night? It's going to be a disaster. Tommy isn't doing much better. They need to put A Beautiful Noise and KA out of their misery.

Sweeney is floundering with Aaron and Sutton. The flyovers want Josh Groban back.

Lion King and Wicked still doing over $2 million a week.

by Anonymousreply 164March 28, 2024 9:25 PM

Doesn't pretty much everything make it at least to opening night?

by Anonymousreply 165March 28, 2024 9:29 PM

[quote]Oh, Mary! has no business on Broadway. The flyovers will not get it, nor pay those prices for an 80 minute drag farce.

Not to mention foreign tourists NOT from Western Europe.

by Anonymousreply 166March 28, 2024 9:30 PM

[quote]Oh, Mary! has no business on Broadway. The flyovers will not get it, nor pay those prices for an 80 minute drag farce.

It’s not for audiences. It’s for the following;

Tony Award exposure

Drag exposure

Advertising to promote a tour

by Anonymousreply 167March 28, 2024 9:35 PM

R164 . . .

$1,362,144.90 95.36% capacity last week is floundering?

by Anonymousreply 168March 28, 2024 9:41 PM

Drag exposure, R167?

by Anonymousreply 169March 28, 2024 9:41 PM

Have there been any public sightings of Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster as a couple? They must be out in NYC if in fact, they are really dating.

by Anonymousreply 170March 28, 2024 9:50 PM

[quote]Drag exposure, [R167]?

When was the last drag on Broadway? Harvey Fierstein in Hairspray?

by Anonymousreply 171March 28, 2024 9:56 PM

R170, They’re probably waiting to go public until their divorces are final.

by Anonymousreply 172March 28, 2024 9:56 PM

Saw "Hell's Kitchen" invited dress rehearsal last night. It is going to be a hit. People were going crazy.

by Anonymousreply 173March 28, 2024 9:57 PM

Oh, Mary is more camp than drag. Just don't see the logic of putting that in a Broadway house.

by Anonymousreply 174March 28, 2024 10:01 PM

[quote]Oh, Mary is more camp than drag. Just don't see the logic of putting that in a Broadway house.

Direct from Broadway, Oh, Mary will be playing the Sheboygan Playhouse.

by Anonymousreply 175March 28, 2024 10:04 PM

[quote]Sweeney is floundering with Aaron and Sutton. The flyovers want Josh Groban back.

What are you talking about?

After Groban and Ashford departed in mid-January, the grosses got pretty dire during the 3 weeks with the understudies.

But ever since Foster and Tveit took over in early February, the grosses have been consistently over $1 million.

2/6 - 2/11 = $1.260 MILLION, 89% CAPACITY

2/13 - 2/18 = $1.479 MILLION, 91% CAPACITY

2/20 - 2/25 = $1.424 MILLION, 98% CAPACITY

2/27 - 3/3 = $1.199 MILLION, 89% CAPACITY

3/5 - 3/10 = $1.312 MILLION, 95% CAPACITY

3/12 - 3/17 = $1.410 MILLION, 98% CAPACITY

3/19 - 3/24 = $1.362 MILLION, 95% CAPACITY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176March 28, 2024 10:06 PM

"Lempicka"—thirteen years in the making!

by Anonymousreply 177March 28, 2024 10:18 PM

[quote]You wonder, don't you, [R161], what genius peodcuers are thinking when behind some of these decisions--like when Taylor Mac and the "Straight White Men" things moved to Broadway.

Or like when Kiki and Herb played Broadway. Epic fail, both financially and artistically.

by Anonymousreply 178March 28, 2024 10:18 PM

I was at the first performance of SUFFS. It should be called inSUFFerables. It wasn't horrible but the music was one note, Shaina Taub is fine but not great and if you are going to write a musical for yourself, you better be confident of your abilities. It needed someone with star power in that role otherwise the character becomes insufferable after a while. Lyrics were trite but the choreography was the worst thing of all - it was Waiting for Guffman-like. I don't know how that got on Broadway. I know it's only the first preview but that you can't fix. There were some good performances and some terrible ones. Also, the women are all heroic, the men are all idiots and buffoons - no nuance whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 179March 28, 2024 10:29 PM

I love Chits but why should she have a theater named after her. What about Verdon. Or Fosse. Or Bennett. Or Robbins. Or Martin. I know Carol Burnett was trying to get a theater named for Hal Prince.

The first Latino to get a named theater will probably be LMM.

by Anonymousreply 180March 28, 2024 10:30 PM

R178, Kiki and Herb: Alive on Broadway had a limited 4-week run; Brantley in The New York Times loved it; and the duo got nominated for a Tony.

by Anonymousreply 181March 28, 2024 10:40 PM

[quote]Saw "Hell's Kitchen" invited dress rehearsal last night. It is going to be a hit. People were going crazy.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but people always go crazy at invited dresses.

by Anonymousreply 182March 28, 2024 10:42 PM

That's fair r182. I expected to be underwhelmed but it was actually a very good night at the theatre.

by Anonymousreply 183March 28, 2024 10:58 PM

And perhaps I was a bit swept away by the excitement in the audience. I am curious to see how it is reviewed.

by Anonymousreply 184March 28, 2024 10:59 PM

r180 Only because he's likely to buy a theatre and name it after himself

by Anonymousreply 185March 28, 2024 11:15 PM

Instead of moving to Broadway, where it will die a swift and ignoble death, they ought to close that running on fumes, but still shockingly successful revival of Little Shop and put Oh, Mary in The Westside Arts. That theater was made for tripe like Cole Escola. I think it would do better there and might continue to burnish the revival of Off-Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 186March 28, 2024 11:19 PM

I don't care what you bitches say, Helen Hayes was adorably funny in that WML clip. Did any of you bother to watch it?

by Anonymousreply 187March 28, 2024 11:21 PM

The success of Little Shop is slightly less shocking when you learn it received a $10 million SVOG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188March 28, 2024 11:24 PM

Jinxx Monsoon IS Mary Todd Lincoln!

by Anonymousreply 189March 28, 2024 11:26 PM

Countess LuAnn *IS* Lempika!

by Anonymousreply 190March 28, 2024 11:55 PM

[quote]Helen Hayes is called the first lady of the American theatre, so there's that.

I always saw that as an oversight.

by Anonymousreply 191March 29, 2024 1:10 AM

Do you know that scene in ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY when an actress auditions for a part in an Oscar Jaffe musical, and the rehearsal pianist, Mildred Plotka, keeps correcting her? Finally, Jaffe realizes that the pianist is the one with the talent, and like Svengali, he transforms her into Lily Garland! It was a great scene.

Well, back in the mid-1970s, I was at an audition for a show under similar circumstances. A well-known actor was on stage trying to get through a musical number and was having quite a difficult time. The show's musical director made him try various vocal exercises and easy musical phrases and kept raising and lowering the keys but to no avail. I noticed that the actor's pianist - a young kid I had never seen - could go along with all the suggestions and changes without a sweat and subtly tried to help the actor with different arrangements that highlighted the melody line. After the audition, I leaned over to the musical director and said, "It's the pianist you should hire! He's going places."

That rehearsal pianist was Marc Shaiman.

by Anonymousreply 192March 29, 2024 2:15 AM

[quote]Kiki and Herb: Alive on Broadway had a limited 4-week run; Brantley in The New York Times loved it; and the duo got nominated for a Tony.

Nevertheless, It was a piece of shit, judged by a friend of mine as "the worst Broadway show I've ever seen" -- and he has been seeing Broadway shows since the late 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 193March 29, 2024 2:56 AM

That's a fantastic story r192

by Anonymousreply 194March 29, 2024 4:03 AM

Having seen Little Shop at the Westside Arts last year, it’s pretty shocking that the venue passes any/all safety and/or inspection codes, especially in NYC. I assume there is some “grandfathered in” lenience, but it is a dump.

by Anonymousreply 195March 29, 2024 4:06 AM

Saw the invited dress of THE WIZ tonight. Surprised how much I liked it -- every voice is incredible. The director spoke before (and later) and pointed out the orchestra was 19 pieces. Sounded great, although you could tell they were still working on the balance. Ruffin's book is funny, and all the sets and costumes are colorful and stylish. The girl playing Dorothy will get the reviews and a Tony nom. There was a cast injury and intermission was loooong and then they came back and did two numbers from Act 2. The first is a 3 part Emerald City dance and it was fantastic. The audience was insane. Then they did Wayne Brady's "Meet the Wizard" number and he was quite charming. I may even pay to go back.

by Anonymousreply 196March 29, 2024 4:10 AM

NYT reviews "Tommy":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197March 29, 2024 4:31 AM

Deadline:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198March 29, 2024 4:32 AM

[quote]Oh, Mary! has no business on Broadway. The flyovers will not get it, nor pay those prices for an 80 minute drag farce. How about the Orpheum? Stomp finally closed, didn't it?

And why should they? If it flops, blame the producers.

by Anonymousreply 199March 29, 2024 5:08 AM

I disagree with your friend, R193. I gather you yourself didn't see it, from what you say. I thought it was quite entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 200March 29, 2024 10:38 AM

Is the Orpheum any bigger than the Lortel? There'd be no point in moving Oh, Mary! there.

by Anonymousreply 201March 29, 2024 10:54 AM

I agree, R200. I saw the first preview. God knows they're not to every taste, but I was certainly in the mood.

by Anonymousreply 202March 29, 2024 12:12 PM

I saw the Wiz tour in Cleveland and I agree about the Dorothy. Her voice was incredible and if Broadway was what it used to be, it would have launched her to stardom as the original did for Stephanie Mills.

by Anonymousreply 203March 29, 2024 12:18 PM

[quote] Is the Orpheum any bigger than the Lortel? There'd be no point in moving Oh, Mary! there.

The Orpheum and the Lortel are almost exactly the same size. The point would be at The Orpheum it could play an open run at a similar scale. The show has to vacate the Lortel due to future bookings. Something could be lost in moving to a Broadway theater anything larger than the Hayes.

by Anonymousreply 204March 29, 2024 12:55 PM

I am big - it's the theatres that got small.

by Anonymousreply 205March 29, 2024 1:33 PM

[quote] Something could be lost in moving to a Broadway theater anything larger than the Hayes.

Namely the audience.

by Anonymousreply 206March 29, 2024 2:17 PM

[quote] It was a piece of shit, judged by a friend of mine as "the worst Broadway show I've ever seen" -- and he has been seeing Broadway shows since the late 1960s.

Well that makes him a genius.

by Anonymousreply 207March 29, 2024 4:12 PM

It actually just makes him old as shit.

by Anonymousreply 208March 29, 2024 4:13 PM

"I didn't see the show, but my friend has been seeing shows since the 1960s and hated it, so it must have sucked!"

by Anonymousreply 209March 29, 2024 4:15 PM

The "it will lose something uptown" is one of the most tired tropes around. People were saying that about both A CHORUS LINE and HAMILTON.

by Anonymousreply 210March 29, 2024 4:16 PM

R207, It takes a hell of a lot more than that to be an esteemed and respected critic.

by Anonymousreply 211March 29, 2024 4:19 PM

R210, are you planning on investing in Oh, Mary on Broadway, then?

by Anonymousreply 212March 29, 2024 4:26 PM

R210 Top ticket price for A Chorus Line was no where near $100. Hamilton was a full-blown phenomenon. Oh, Mary is a 75 minute sketch. Big difference.

by Anonymousreply 213March 29, 2024 4:41 PM

I can't believe anyone would pay $200 to see a 75-minute sketch by some no-name drag act in a dumpy, run-down little theatre Off-Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 214March 29, 2024 4:50 PM

[quote] are you planning on investing in Oh, Mary on Broadway, then?

I’ve invested on Broadway once before, and I would absolutely invest in Oh, Mary! given the opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 215March 29, 2024 5:55 PM

[quote] The "it will lose something uptown" is one of the most tired tropes around. People were saying that about both A CHORUS LINE and HAMILTON.

Hell, they even said that about “Hair”

by Anonymousreply 216March 29, 2024 6:06 PM

Well, if you have money to throw away, R215, go for it.

by Anonymousreply 217March 29, 2024 6:06 PM

[Quote] I’ve invested on Broadway once before,

Did [italic] The Black Crook [/italic] recoup, r215?

by Anonymousreply 218March 29, 2024 6:19 PM

Any word on Suffs?

by Anonymousreply 219March 29, 2024 6:22 PM

How much did you put into Lempicka, R215?

by Anonymousreply 220March 29, 2024 6:23 PM

Nuffs.

by Anonymousreply 221March 29, 2024 7:55 PM

The "Oh Mary" hate has replaced the Sutton Foster hate. Please God, let Sutton go into "Oh Mary" for 6 weeks and let the fun begin!

by Anonymousreply 222March 29, 2024 7:56 PM

I don't think it's OH MARY hate as much as it is OH MARY, STAY OFF BROADWAY.

by Anonymousreply 223March 29, 2024 8:44 PM

[quote]On the other hand, Townshend, or at least his avatar here, finds that “freedom lies in normality.” This is the opposite of rock’s countercultural pose.

The excerpt above, from Jesse Green's review, seems to indicate he's unaware that, for the first production of TOMMY on Broadway, Pete Townshend made the tremendous, weird mistake of rewriting the ending of the story so that what happens is exactly the opposite of what happened in the story and lyrics of the concept album.

by Anonymousreply 224March 29, 2024 9:31 PM

Apologies, R200. In re-reading my post above, I see that my writing was unclear. I did see KIKI AND HERB: ALIVE AND KICKING, and I did think it was a piece of shit. As another friend of mine put it, Kiki and Herb could be entertaining for a few numbers in a club if you've got some drinks in you, but for a full-length show in a Broadway theater -- not so much. Having to listen to Kiki "sing" for a full-length evening was an unpleasant experience, to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 225March 29, 2024 9:35 PM

[quote]"I didn't see the show, but my friend has been seeing shows since the 1960s and hated it, so it must have sucked!"

Although my phrasing was not 100 percent clear, I did not write that I didn't see Kiki and Herb on Broadway. I did see the show, and hated it. And the point of my friend who had been seeing Broadway shows since the 1960s saying K&H was the worst show he had ever seen on Broadway is: That's a very strong statement coming from someone who has seen so many shows, probably a whole lot more than most of you nasty bitches who are making childish, insulting, ageist remarks.

by Anonymousreply 226March 29, 2024 9:41 PM

[quote]The "it will lose something uptown" is one of the most tired tropes around. People were saying that about both A CHORUS LINE and HAMILTON.

I never heard anyone say that about those two shows, and if they did, they're know-nothings who should keep their opinions to themselves.

I do remember hearing some people say that AVENUE Q would "lose something" in a Broadway theater, but I never agreed with that. Obviously, I was right in that case. And so were the producers.

by Anonymousreply 227March 29, 2024 9:46 PM

[quote]you nasty bitches who are making childish, insulting, ageist remarks

That is our responsibility as true Dataloungers.

by Anonymousreply 228March 29, 2024 9:46 PM

R225/R226, Kiki and Herb are not for everybody, but you need to know going in what it will be or already love them. I love them, and enough people did to give them good houses for a month and a Tony nomnination. They were nominated for "Best Special Theatrical Event," after all. It wasn't meant to be like going to a play. And there's room for that on Broadway. Oh, Mary is neither mainstream play nor a special theatrical event.

by Anonymousreply 229March 29, 2024 9:50 PM

Also, it was called KIKI AND HERB: ALIVE ON BROADWAY.

by Anonymousreply 230March 29, 2024 9:51 PM

[quote]Oh, Mary is neither mainstream play nor a special theatrical event.

Nevertheless, she persisted.

by Anonymousreply 231March 29, 2024 9:52 PM

Well, is it, R231?

by Anonymousreply 232March 29, 2024 9:53 PM

IT'S A 75-MINUTE CAMP FEST.

Broadway? Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 233March 29, 2024 9:54 PM

Oh, who the fuck actually cares, r232.

by Anonymousreply 234March 29, 2024 9:55 PM

And yet, R234 persisted.

by Anonymousreply 235March 29, 2024 9:56 PM

[quote]I do remember hearing some people say that AVENUE Q would "lose something" in a Broadway theater, but I never agreed with that. Obviously, I was right in that case. And so were the producers.

One of whom is the producer of "Oh, Mary!" Not that he hasn't had his fair share of flops.

by Anonymousreply 236March 29, 2024 10:12 PM

Why not make A Prairie Home Companion into a Broadway show? It would sell to the tourists. Who would play Meryl and who would play Lily?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237March 29, 2024 10:59 PM

You can livestream "Tomorrow" tomorrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238March 29, 2024 11:04 PM

Wasn't Title of Show supposed to thrive on Broadway, despite warnings to the contrary. How did that work out?

by Anonymousreply 239March 29, 2024 11:28 PM

A friend saw SUFFS this week. He said there were too many songs that pretty much all said the same thing. He was not impressed.

by Anonymousreply 240March 29, 2024 11:31 PM

I laugh at the people who think "things can be fixed in previews." Hunny, if they did fix SUFFS sufficiently prior to getting to Broadway, they ain't fixing it now. Same for every piece of crap coming in from Chicago in the past 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 241March 29, 2024 11:50 PM

Excuse me, R241?

by Anonymousreply 242March 30, 2024 12:07 AM

I am dreading SUFFS. I can’t believe I agreed to see it in a moment of weakness when that frau called me.

by Anonymousreply 243March 30, 2024 12:24 AM

[quote]Wasn't Title of Show supposed to thrive on Broadway, despite warnings to the contrary. How did that work out?

[titleofshow] did exactly what it was intended to do: make it to Broadway so that it could be marketed to colleges, regional theaters, etc. No one involved on that show except maybe Hunter Bell expected it to run more than a month or two.

Just making it to Broadway was their goal.

by Anonymousreply 244March 30, 2024 12:48 AM

Just making it to Broadway was not their goal, nor was losing their entire capitalization. I’d be surprised if regional/college/amateur productions have made up the shortfall.

by Anonymousreply 245March 30, 2024 2:14 AM

Producer #1- Y'know what would be fun- producing title of show on Broadway.

Producer #2- But it's not a show for Broadway audiences. No one will come. We'll lose our shirts.

Producer #1- Don't be silly. Whatever we lose here will more than be made up for in stock, amateur, high school, rights, etc. After all, it will have the imprimatur of BROADWAY on it.

Producer #2- You're right!! What 21st century high school student or hinterland community theater audience could resist a show that references Mary Stout!? And with only a four person cast, we're sure to be the top choice in towns where everyone wants to be in a show!

Producer #1- Yes, and all their family members will buy tickets. We'll be zillionaires in no time!

by Anonymousreply 246March 30, 2024 2:21 AM

I have SUFFSicient.

by Anonymousreply 247March 30, 2024 2:27 AM

r192=Paul Harvey

by Anonymousreply 248March 30, 2024 2:27 AM

[quote]Kiki and Herb are not for everybody, but you need to know going in what it will be or already love them.

I certainly did not already love them, but I had seen them in small doses and liked them before seeing the Broadway show. I think their style of performance, and their musicianship and the quality of Kiki's singing voice, were not suited to a full-length show, especially not on Broadway.

[quote]They were nominated for "Best Special Theatrical Event," after all.

The competition for that award, whenever it has been given, has almost always been very thin because usually very few if any shows fit the classification. So in my opinion, Kiki and Herb were nominated just to fill out the category.

by Anonymousreply 249March 30, 2024 2:34 AM

They certainly were nominated just to fill out a category. It's why the category didn't survive. The few years they had it, they were scraping the bottom of the barrel for nominees. And Kiki and Herb are the very bottom. Totally untalented.

by Anonymousreply 250March 30, 2024 2:36 AM

Agreed, R250.. Well, maybe not TOTALLY untalented, but only talented enough to be entertaining in very small doses.

by Anonymousreply 251March 30, 2024 2:38 AM

[quote] And Kiki and Herb are the very bottom. Totally untalented.

I couldn't disagree more. What a shallow assessment. I think we should move on.

by Anonymousreply 252March 30, 2024 2:41 AM

The ONLY reason Kiki and Herb were nominated was because The Tony committee wanted to give Jay Johnson an award for being so successful with his one man show. They had eliminated the category the year before and the year after. And Kiki and Herb were the only other show nominated in the category. They should have just given Jay Johnson a special Tony and been done with it.

by Anonymousreply 253March 30, 2024 2:43 AM

[quote] I couldn't disagree more. What a shallow assessment. I think we should move on.

When you buy Datalounge, then you can dictate when we move on. Until then, your opinion means zilch.

by Anonymousreply 254March 30, 2024 2:44 AM

Huh, R254?

Pardoning that drunk R254, the lack of appreciation for Kiki and Herb is an opinion, not a fact. They sell out everywhere, because they're loved and appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 255March 30, 2024 2:46 AM

Not by everyone, as much as you wish it were so. If you don't understand that you stomping your foot and dictating the subject be closed because YOU'RE a fan of theirs isn't necessarily going to happen, then I don't know what to tell you. You're beyond reasoning with.

by Anonymousreply 256March 30, 2024 2:49 AM

Does anyone else have tickets to see LuPone at Carnegie Hall on the 8th?

by Anonymousreply 257March 30, 2024 2:50 AM

Sorry, R256, just by going the fact they sold out Carnegie Hall twice.

by Anonymousreply 258March 30, 2024 2:51 AM

And were on Broadway and got a Tony nomination.

by Anonymousreply 259March 30, 2024 2:53 AM

And played the Sydney Opera House.

by Anonymousreply 260March 30, 2024 2:54 AM

I think that was Peaches and Herb.

by Anonymousreply 261March 30, 2024 2:55 AM

And recently sold out BAM and Town Hall.

by Anonymousreply 262March 30, 2024 2:56 AM

Is r255 Kiki?

by Anonymousreply 263March 30, 2024 2:56 AM

No, R263, a fan citing the facts.

by Anonymousreply 264March 30, 2024 2:57 AM

Why the hate for Kiki and Herb?

by Anonymousreply 265March 30, 2024 2:58 AM

I'll ask again: Why the hate for Kiki and Herb?

by Anonymousreply 266March 30, 2024 3:00 AM

Herb should've stayed with Peaches, and Kiki should've stayed with Elton.

by Anonymousreply 267March 30, 2024 3:01 AM

I'll ask again: Why the hate for Kiki and Herb? The most wonderfully endearing act of our time?

by Anonymousreply 268March 30, 2024 3:02 AM

No answer for why you hate Kiki and Herb defines your utter shallowness.

by Anonymousreply 269March 30, 2024 3:07 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270March 30, 2024 3:11 AM

[quote] No, [R263], a fan citing the facts.

Who gives a fuck? No one is disputing they have fans. Can you not follow logic?

by Anonymousreply 271March 30, 2024 3:16 AM

Much Ado About Cunting

by Anonymousreply 272March 30, 2024 3:20 AM

Thanks for the explanation, R253. Makes total sense.

by Anonymousreply 273March 30, 2024 3:22 AM

You wouldn't think Kiki and Herb would have enemies here. And yet there are the idiots.

by Anonymousreply 274March 30, 2024 3:23 AM

One of the producers of DAYS AND WINE AND ROSES on Broadway is still crowing about producing it on social media, even though the Broadway run has been a financial disaster -- no exaggeration. Not to say he can't still be proud of it on an artistic level, as much as many of us may disagree with him, but if something is THAT huge a flop, I would think discretion would dictate that the producer would be too embarrassed to crow about it on social media.

by Anonymousreply 275March 30, 2024 3:25 AM

[quote]You wouldn't think Kiki and Herb would have enemies here.

Why the hell not? Sounds like you're feeding into some ridiculous, outmoded stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 276March 30, 2024 3:28 AM

So what is your argument against them, R276?

by Anonymousreply 277March 30, 2024 3:30 AM

Now you're equating people who don't enjoy Kiki and Herb as their enemies? You've got a screw loose, hon.

by Anonymousreply 278March 30, 2024 3:33 AM

No, R278, I'm asking why you don't like them.

by Anonymousreply 279March 30, 2024 3:34 AM

I don't find them talented or amusing. And their stale act has been done better by others before and after them. How difficult is that to comprehend?

And by the way, I'm not the only person who doesn't like them who is posting on here.

by Anonymousreply 280March 30, 2024 3:37 AM

[quote]I don't find them talented or amusing

Your opinion.

[quote] I don't find them talented or amusing

Again, your opinion.

[quote] And by the way, I'm not the only person who doesn't like them who is posting on here.

And yet they sell out everywhere they perform.

Who do you like?

by Anonymousreply 281March 30, 2024 3:41 AM

Yes, my opinion. Duh. And I've never said otherwise or said anyone who liked them was wrong. You're having an argument with yourself.

by Anonymousreply 282March 30, 2024 3:52 AM

Omg no one cares about Kiks and herbs SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT THEM. They suck and are talentless and dull.

NEXT.

by Anonymousreply 283March 30, 2024 4:04 AM

Worst thread ever.

by Anonymousreply 284March 30, 2024 4:31 AM

Kiki DuRane is matinee Mary!

by Anonymousreply 285March 30, 2024 5:22 AM

Kiki and Herb sounds like a new salad dressing.

by Anonymousreply 286March 30, 2024 5:35 AM

Second shit theatre thread in a row.

by Anonymousreply 287March 30, 2024 5:43 AM

[quote]R123 There are stories that Mary's gay husband would play "bad cop" with Mary as "good cop" whenever they had to manipulate matters to her advantage

Mary Martin was one of the very few stars ultra professional Edith Head disliked costuming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288March 30, 2024 5:48 AM

R288 Helen wanted to eat her cunt.

by Anonymousreply 289March 30, 2024 8:15 AM

No, R282, I have an argument with you.

by Anonymousreply 290March 30, 2024 11:46 AM

This stuff belongs in a 99 seat off-off-Broadway theater. It does not belong in a Tony nominated category.

And Helen Hayes would vomit knowing that this crap played in her Broadway theater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291March 30, 2024 11:58 AM

Well, R291, too bad for you because they were nominated for a Tony, and they sell out more than 99-seat theaters. They sold out Carnegie Hall--twice.

by Anonymousreply 292March 30, 2024 12:03 PM

I like Kiki & Herb. It’s JVB’s solo act that is horrible. I mean, that voice (grrrrrrrrr) without a character to play …

by Anonymousreply 293March 30, 2024 12:13 PM

Agree. When Kiki wandered into the world of real jazz singers—like Billie and Ella—she lost me. She's a great comic, but a lousy singer.

by Anonymousreply 294March 30, 2024 12:35 PM

Selling out Carnegie is not a big deal. Please stop.

by Anonymousreply 295March 30, 2024 12:43 PM

[quote] Your opinion

[quote]Again, your opinion

What a stupid non-argument

Were you expecting him to be giving someone else’s opinion?

by Anonymousreply 296March 30, 2024 12:53 PM

My goodness this thread went off the rails quickly!

Any gossip on the Wiz?

Any gossip on Cabaret?

Any gossip on Tommy?

by Anonymousreply 297March 30, 2024 12:56 PM

Anyone at first preview of The Huey Lewis thing?

by Anonymousreply 298March 30, 2024 1:06 PM

All I know is that Wiz, Tommy and Cabaret are all going to be hits. The public wants things they know right now. Most of the new shows -- suffs, Lempicka, Heart of Rock n' Roll - will pass through pretty quickly. Elephants and Notebook will run, but not long and not profitably.

by Anonymousreply 299March 30, 2024 1:09 PM

Saw Appropriate last night. Best play I've seen in years. Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 300March 30, 2024 1:10 PM

Why is there no word on "The Outsiders"?

by Anonymousreply 301March 30, 2024 1:34 PM

R301. I guess theatre has become so expensive that regular theatergoers can no longer afford to go very often.

by Anonymousreply 302March 30, 2024 1:40 PM

That's a crock of shit, and the "it's too expensive" trope is crap. Right now, it's not hard to get discount tickets to Outsiders, Lempicka, Suffs, and Heart of Rock N' Roll. Some are as low as $50. Almost all Broadway shows are up at the booth every day, and word is HAMILTON is headed there this summer, which is going to hurt a lot of show. Tommy and Elephants have been consistently at the booth too.

by Anonymousreply 303March 30, 2024 1:47 PM

Oh Mary! has NEVER been at the booth. Jus' sayin...

by Anonymousreply 304March 30, 2024 1:47 PM

Paying full price is for tourists

by Anonymousreply 305March 30, 2024 1:52 PM

Yea—because the line at TKTS is 100% locals….🙄

New Yorkers get coupons and promotions in the mail. And we buy at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 306March 30, 2024 3:38 PM

Yes the frau friend got tickets for SUFFS for $59 each.

I paid full price for a ticket to see Appropriate in a couple weeks.

Most locals I know use tdf, codes or Today Tix.

by Anonymousreply 307March 30, 2024 3:41 PM

Hilarious . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308March 30, 2024 4:03 PM

Hi Matt! R389 welcome to DL!

Is Patti truly the cuntiest cunt who ever cunted?

by Anonymousreply 309March 30, 2024 4:18 PM

Is everyone excited for Tommy Bracco’s triumphant return to Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 310March 30, 2024 4:51 PM

[quote]Is everyone excited for Tommy Bracco’s triumphant return to Broadway?

We'd rather see Lorraine.

by Anonymousreply 311March 30, 2024 4:54 PM

Her are Kiki and Herb for anyone who doesn't know who the hell they are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312March 30, 2024 5:02 PM

[quote]My goodness this thread went off the rails quickly!

And all because of Kiki and Herb!

by Anonymousreply 313March 30, 2024 5:49 PM

[quote]Paying full price is for tourists

And only the little people pay taxes.

by Anonymousreply 314March 30, 2024 5:51 PM

[quote] And all because of Kiki and Herb!

It's the most those has-beens have been mentioned in two decades!

by Anonymousreply 315March 30, 2024 6:07 PM

Y’all getting excited to see my Tony winning performance in The Great Gatsby?

by Anonymousreply 316March 30, 2024 6:11 PM

Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes!

by Anonymousreply 317March 30, 2024 6:42 PM

Gatsby is gonna be a big fat bomb.

by Anonymousreply 318March 30, 2024 6:43 PM

It's no "Lempicka" or "Suffs," R318.

by Anonymousreply 319March 30, 2024 6:54 PM

100% flop R318. It’s awful.

by Anonymousreply 320March 30, 2024 6:56 PM

I've always liked Robyn Hurder. She has 'it.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321March 30, 2024 7:14 PM

[quote]I've always liked Robyn Hurder. She has 'it.'

Has she tried antibiotics?

by Anonymousreply 322March 30, 2024 7:30 PM

Looks pretty dynamic to me. I don't know how much of it works, but I think I'll prefer this Evita-style staging than the original's stodgy, standard-book-musical one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323March 30, 2024 8:16 PM

R323 I saw the show in London and it was amazing! Now to be fair, I’m 36 so I didn’t see Patti, Betty, Glenn or Elaine…so I can’t compare…but for someone who didn’t see the original, I loved the whole thing and Nicole’s voice was extraordinary!

by Anonymousreply 324March 30, 2024 8:56 PM

SB is releasing a live cast recording which sounds pretty exciting.

by Anonymousreply 325March 30, 2024 9:21 PM

It’s a not uninteresting staging of Sunset Boulevard, interspersed with a Nicole Scherzinger concert where her setlist consists entirely of Norma Desmond’s songs from Sunset Boulevard.

She can belt, but girl can’t act for shit.

by Anonymousreply 326March 30, 2024 11:20 PM

[quote]She can belt, but girl can’t act for shit.

Neither could Norma, r326...she only had *one* look.

by Anonymousreply 327March 30, 2024 11:49 PM

R323 I am 57 and I saw the original on Broadway, and Betty in London first. I saw the revival twice and it is great. Far better than the original and NS is incredible

by Anonymousreply 328March 31, 2024 12:40 AM

Thanks for that clip, R312. Now, for the people who had previously never seen or heard Kiki and Herb, can you imagine listening to that voice and looking at that person for the length of a Broadway show?

by Anonymousreply 329March 31, 2024 1:01 AM

Stop. It.

by Anonymousreply 330March 31, 2024 1:33 AM

Oh, my goodness, look at Betty *go*!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331March 31, 2024 2:10 AM

R328, There’s an excellent quality boot of the London revival in circulation and it is, indeed, wonderful.

It should win numerous Olivier Awards on April 14th.

by Anonymousreply 332March 31, 2024 4:06 AM

SUNSET BLVD. is a Mary! theatrical experience like few others. It’s a wildly inventive and new take on the show, but with a full orchestra (!), and a cast totally committed to every moment of the script/score, be it as it may. When I saw it in London last year, Nicole received TWO mid-show full standing ovations for both her big songs in each act, plus, of course, the curtain call. It’s lightning in a bottle, so I’m glad all 4 leads are coming to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 333March 31, 2024 8:16 AM

I am surprised that the other three leads are coming with SB (maybe because of the recording). I will say that the David Thaxton was incredible also but they could have cast many actors from this side of the pond. Tom Francis is very good but his role is one note and he does not do much with it, his vocals are nothing extraordinary. And for Grace Hodgett Young.... someone please explain it to me. She is just okay.

by Anonymousreply 334March 31, 2024 12:06 PM

Nicole Scherzinger, Tom Francis and David Thaxton are superb in their roles.

by Anonymousreply 335March 31, 2024 12:52 PM

There's no doubt that the show was well done. I just don't know if this revival will work with the non-theatre people in the US. And let's face it: the show is structurally flawed and not really that good, despite three or four really good numbers. It took this gimmicky angle to make it work with more sophisticated/open London audiences.

by Anonymousreply 336March 31, 2024 1:45 PM

R336, Is the St. James Theatre “location friendly” in order for Tom Francis to perform his inside/outside Act II opening number?

by Anonymousreply 337March 31, 2024 1:56 PM

Happy Easter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338March 31, 2024 2:16 PM

Has-beens, R315? Their Christmas show had a sold-out run last year at Town Hall, and the hear before that at BAM.

by Anonymousreply 339March 31, 2024 2:53 PM

I can't beleive the gays here are so stupid as to critique the singing of JVB/Kiki. She's supposed to be a broken-down, drunken, ancient cabaret singer. It's comedy, you boobs.

by Anonymousreply 340March 31, 2024 2:58 PM

[quote]It's comedy, you boobs.

Comedy is supposed to be funny.

[quote]She's supposed to be a broken-down, drunken, ancient cabaret singer.

We have Liza.

by Anonymousreply 341March 31, 2024 3:00 PM

Saw SUFFS. Meh. Didn’t think it was bad, but a little lacking. Feel like it’s good for young girls and younger women, but it’s not sophisticated theater.

by Anonymousreply 342March 31, 2024 3:11 PM

Did anyone actually see or hear anything about the pre-pandemic B’way revival of Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? starring Laurie Metcalf and an inexplicable trio of British actors including (gulp) Uncle Rupie Everett, the terribly overrated and, because of it, annoying Patsy Ferran (good grief) and the potato-faced literal measurement of limited talent, Russell Tovey? They should’ve changed the name of the play to What the Fuck Did Laurie Metcalf Do To Deserve This? It’s almost like COVID was created to put her out of her misery. (No pun intended.)

by Anonymousreply 343March 31, 2024 3:20 PM

Oh, good. More sniping about Kiki and Herb. Just what this thread needs.

by Anonymousreply 344March 31, 2024 3:38 PM

It is funny, R341, unless you're a drip.

by Anonymousreply 345March 31, 2024 3:39 PM

I've never understood how bitches on DL can't appreciate K&H. Their act is practically made for you.

by Anonymousreply 346March 31, 2024 3:41 PM

Do they get the vote?

by Anonymousreply 347March 31, 2024 3:41 PM

It's on K&H loon who can't accept that many people don't find them funny.

And selling out Town Hall is hardly an achievement.

by Anonymousreply 348March 31, 2024 3:44 PM

Really, R348? They sell out wherever they perform. Whereas npo one pays to see you.

by Anonymousreply 349March 31, 2024 3:48 PM

*no one

by Anonymousreply 350March 31, 2024 3:49 PM

R349 eats shit out of Justin Bond's dressing room toilet.

by Anonymousreply 351March 31, 2024 3:55 PM

I would love to see a time-lapse account of how Broadway tickets get sold. I’m looking at Appropriate orchestra seating. Not much is sold, but they want over $300 for most of the center and front, $200ish for the back third, and then $175ish for the last rows and sides. The average price will likely end up at $150ish.

It used to be that buying in advance meant better, lower priced tickets. The opposite seems to be the case now. They just discount the good seats at the last minute. And, there are also fewer discount codes now.

Datalounge ticketbuyers, what are you paying? I live out of town, so I usually just pay and grumble.

by Anonymousreply 352March 31, 2024 3:56 PM

Jealous, R351?

by Anonymousreply 353March 31, 2024 3:56 PM

R352 try today tix. A friend said appropriate was on there.

by Anonymousreply 354March 31, 2024 4:09 PM

They sold out Town Hall? BFD. Hold my non-alcoholic wine. I am legend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355March 31, 2024 4:14 PM

They sold out a run, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 356March 31, 2024 4:16 PM

Why are you so invested in beating the dead horse known as Kiki & Herb? No one cares. That has been made clear to you, post after post. There are people on here who don't like them. They don't care if you like them, nor are they trying to take that away from you. Enjoy them all you want, if that's your thing. But read the room.

by Anonymousreply 357March 31, 2024 4:24 PM

Kiki Dee and Herb Alpert?

by Anonymousreply 358March 31, 2024 4:29 PM

What are we predicting for a Suffs closing date?

by Anonymousreply 359March 31, 2024 4:30 PM

Maybe they can hang on until Election Day.

by Anonymousreply 360March 31, 2024 4:35 PM

Suffs won't close. It'll move to Town Hall. I hear you can sell out anything there.

by Anonymousreply 361March 31, 2024 4:35 PM

[quote]It'll move to Town Hall. I hear you can sell out anything there.

Decades ago, I saw a show at Town Hall on Thanksgiving Day and it was pretty full. “Yiddle with a Fiddle.”

by Anonymousreply 362March 31, 2024 4:44 PM

Well, if you can make it where Yiddle with a Fiddle made it, then you can make it anywhere!

by Anonymousreply 363March 31, 2024 4:46 PM

[quote]They sold out a run, idiot.

Happy Easter. Relax today and do your blood pressure some good.

by Anonymousreply 364March 31, 2024 4:53 PM

C.an you argumentative people go make your own thread, please?

by Anonymousreply 365March 31, 2024 4:56 PM

I don't know. Can we?

by Anonymousreply 366March 31, 2024 4:57 PM

On tonight’s third and final episode of the delicious UK miniseries Nolly (on PBS Masterpiece) we’ll get to see the title character in rehearsals for a provincial production of Gypsy. You haven’t really lived until you’ve seen Helena Bonham Carter as Nolly as Rose. And Nolly actually bitches about Rose having to enter through the auditorium before getting up on the stage. It’s quite amusing.

by Anonymousreply 367March 31, 2024 5:07 PM

Thanks for the tip, R367.

by Anonymousreply 368March 31, 2024 5:42 PM

I can't say enough good things about Nolly, r367. Helena is brilliant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369March 31, 2024 5:48 PM

Noele Gordon actually made it to the London stage in 1983 in a short-lived revival of "Call Me Madam" at the Victoria Palace (where "Hamilton" now plays).

by Anonymousreply 370March 31, 2024 6:38 PM

Nolly is paint drying. Just dull as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 371March 31, 2024 7:06 PM

May I suggest that we NOT include Kiki and Herb in the title of the next theater gossip thread?

by Anonymousreply 372March 31, 2024 7:14 PM

Madam Noele...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373March 31, 2024 7:19 PM

I love Helena Bonham Carter and want to love NOLLY so much but I'm finding it very limp and disappointing.

I don't know what the the supposedly beloved character that she played in the long-running series was like but, perhaps, if we saw her to be very different from Nolly herself, sweeter and more charming, we might understand what made her such a national treasure for so many TV viewers. There's no real sense of that character present.

by Anonymousreply 374March 31, 2024 7:44 PM

To each his own, r374. I'm loving it and her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375March 31, 2024 7:49 PM

r343, have you ever seen Patsy Ferran onstage? Seeing her as Blanche in Streetcar (opposite Paul Mescal) was like watching that play for the first time. And her Eliza in Pygmalion (opposite Bertie Carvel) was the funniest and ultimately most poignant Eliza I've ever seen. She's the real deal and I hope she gets to Broadway in something soon.

Her casting as Honey and Russell Tovey as Nick were what made me most excited about seeing that Virginia Woolf, not to mention Laurie Metcalf and Joe Mantello's take on it. Rupert Everett was the only questionable aspect IMO.

by Anonymousreply 376March 31, 2024 7:58 PM

Thanks, R376. Yes, I saw her in Rebecca Frecknall’s production of Summer and Smoke at the Almeida. I didn’t get it. To me, she’s like an algebraic expression inserted into plays whose value is never defined and therefore doesn’t make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 377March 31, 2024 8:50 PM

Rumor mill is churning out that CSC will do Anyone Can Whistle directed by Trip Cullman with book rewrites from John Weidman. Rachel Bay Jones as Cora, Santino Fontana as Hapgood, with many CSC/Wholesale cast members in the male roles. Fay still to be cast.

by Anonymousreply 378March 31, 2024 9:48 PM

Santino is good but rarely exciting. I prefer him on plays but he insists on doing musicals.

by Anonymousreply 379March 31, 2024 9:55 PM

R379, I agree. Despite having a fine singing voice, he really seems less compelling in musicals. I saw one on his first professional performances. He played Hamlet at the Guthrie to close their original performance space. They wanted someone young and he was in the University of Minnesota’s graduate acting program. He was very promising.

But he is really hard to cast in musicals. I think because his voice is at odds with his acting. His singing is sincere and straightforward, but lacks the color and complexity of his acting choices. Hapgood seems like a bad fit.

by Anonymousreply 380March 31, 2024 10:10 PM

Can he fill Guardino's shoes?

by Anonymousreply 381March 31, 2024 10:56 PM

Santino Fontana has already played Hapgood in NY, in the staged concert version of 2022 at Carnegie Hall, with Vanessa Williams and Elizabeth Stanley.

by Anonymousreply 382March 31, 2024 11:14 PM

Trip Cullman should have the career Sam Gold has.

by Anonymousreply 383March 31, 2024 11:21 PM

Mike Nichols begat Joe Mantello, who then begat Trip Cullman.

by Anonymousreply 384April 1, 2024 12:42 AM

Santino seems like one of the great actors who somehow has missed a great career. I was not a fan of Tootsie.

by Anonymousreply 385April 1, 2024 1:39 AM

this. It’s from the Facebook Broadway Remembered page, with Jaye P. Morgan, Hans Conreid, Gary Owens, Anita Gillette, Bob Hastings, Jo Ann Pflug

I assume it’s a joke...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386April 1, 2024 1:45 AM

Santino has to be at least a little pissed that he missed out on the Frozen gravy train. He was one of the core four on the original poster, but the first movie’s plot killed any chance of him cashing in on it (to say nothing of sequels).

by Anonymousreply 387April 1, 2024 2:21 AM

Rachel Bay Jones is TERRIBLE casting for Cora.

by Anonymousreply 388April 1, 2024 2:51 AM

I would think Rachel Bay Jones would be better cast as Fay than as Cora, even if she's maybe a little too old for Fay.

by Anonymousreply 389April 1, 2024 2:56 AM

Santino a GREAT actor?

by Anonymousreply 390April 1, 2024 3:30 AM

Rachel Bay Jones as Cora is just Madeline Kahn redux.

by Anonymousreply 391April 1, 2024 3:35 AM

R396, yes, it’s a parody of the 1970 dinner theatre circuit. The same guy did My Fair Lady with Ed Asner and Loretta Swit, Ann B Davis and Jim Nabors in Camelot, etc.

by Anonymousreply 392April 1, 2024 3:48 AM

Deluxe Fuxley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393April 1, 2024 3:51 AM

Sources tell me Rachel Bay Jones was not a backstage favorite at HERE WE ARE!

by Anonymousreply 394April 1, 2024 9:49 AM

Mike Nichols was always trying to get into Robbie Baitz's pants when Robbie and Joe Mantello were a couple. Joe was not a Nichols fan.

by Anonymousreply 395April 1, 2024 9:51 AM

Has anyone else heard about a new play that Mia Farrow and Patti LuPone will be doing on Broadway in the fall? Directed by Jack O'Brien?

And no, this is not an April Fools joke.

by Anonymousreply 396April 1, 2024 10:08 AM

Well, there's 3 hot theatre gossip items for all you bitches asking where the theatre gossip has gone.

by Anonymousreply 397April 1, 2024 10:10 AM

This is the first I've ever heard of Mike Nichols being into dick.

by Anonymousreply 398April 1, 2024 10:29 AM

I could tell you stories, R308.

by Anonymousreply 399April 1, 2024 10:46 AM

You must be joking, R398.

by Anonymousreply 400April 1, 2024 11:44 AM

R396. Watch out, Mia

by Anonymousreply 401April 1, 2024 12:12 PM

Also r122, r397.

by Anonymousreply 402April 1, 2024 12:16 PM

R396 I don’t doubt that. Mia stated she was moving back to the city for a while and LuPone said she is interested in doing a Broadway play.

The problem is LuPone barely sells tickets for musicals and all of her plays crash and burn (see The Anarchist)

Mia is fine on film but gets lost in the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 403April 1, 2024 12:21 PM

Mia is nearly 80. Is she up to doing a live play several times a week?

by Anonymousreply 404April 1, 2024 12:27 PM

Nichols and Richard Avedon were reportedly lovers, according to Avedon's bio. Mark Harris, who wrote Nichols' bio, chose not to address the topic in his book.

by Anonymousreply 405April 1, 2024 12:33 PM

R405, Mark Harris actually addresses it (fairly extensively) by saying he did not find any evidence for the claim.

by Anonymousreply 406April 1, 2024 12:39 PM

R404. Piece of cake

by Anonymousreply 407April 1, 2024 12:55 PM

Also Mia probably likes Patti right now. They have been friends for many years and it was at Mia’s house that LuPone has her warmest memories of Sondheim.

I guarantee after 6 weeks of working together, Mia will be less fond of LuPone.

by Anonymousreply 408April 1, 2024 1:25 PM

[quote] Rumor mill is churning out that CSC will do Anyone Can Whistle directed by Trip Cullman with book rewrites from John Weidman

Some of us remember Weidman’s script revisions for, “I Can Get For You Wholesale” with less than affection.

by Anonymousreply 409April 1, 2024 1:56 PM

Shosana Bean stops the show in Act 2 of Hell's Kitchen. The show is going to be a big hit.

by Anonymousreply 410April 1, 2024 2:01 PM

Hi Shosana r410! Welcome to Datalounge! Sorry your career didn’t rise to the level of Menzel!

by Anonymousreply 411April 1, 2024 2:50 PM

I think Trip Cullman has exactly the career he deserves, R383.

by Anonymousreply 412April 1, 2024 2:52 PM

. . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413April 1, 2024 3:29 PM

R406, They’ve both been dead for years. What “evidence” did he expect to unearth, cum stains?

by Anonymousreply 414April 1, 2024 3:30 PM

I agree, R412. I was confusing Trip Cullman with Kip Fagan, who's a better director than all of them.

by Anonymousreply 415April 1, 2024 3:37 PM

As well as the best looking.

by Anonymousreply 416April 1, 2024 3:38 PM

I think that Ms. Sawyer would have objected to any serious exploration of Nichols' gay side. I saw Harris and Kushner greeting Nichols and Sawyer at a party years ago and they were kissing and hugging in a way that suggests that Harris wouldn't be entirely objective in his book.

by Anonymousreply 417April 1, 2024 3:42 PM

LuPone gave up her Equity card. How can she do anything on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 418April 1, 2024 3:50 PM

Exactly, R418. I was thinking LuPone might somehow get around the fact that the quit Equity by doing a concert show in a Broadway theater under a non-Broadway contract, if that could be possible. But I'm sure there's no way she could do a play in a Broadway house unless she rejoins Equity.

by Anonymousreply 419April 1, 2024 4:13 PM

She'll rejoin quietly and then get pissy with anyone who asks about her Equity status. She didn't even have a half-decent reason for quitting in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 420April 1, 2024 4:19 PM

[quote]She didn't even have a half-decent reason for quitting in the first place.

Apparently not, other than sheer bitchiness, which often seems to be her only motivation.

by Anonymousreply 421April 1, 2024 4:23 PM

Patti is in concert tomorrow evening at Symphony Hall in Boston.

Just checked the site and there are definitely seats still available in all sections.

Last week, the venue was offering 20% off for up to four seats per transaction.

by Anonymousreply 422April 1, 2024 4:32 PM

I've recently found out that you don't need to be a member of Equity to perform on or off Broadway. But Equity tries to keep that quiet.

by Anonymousreply 423April 1, 2024 4:41 PM

[quote]I've recently found out that you don't need to be a member of Equity to perform on or off Broadway. But Equity tries to keep that quiet.

Non-equity members can appear on Broadway in very limited circumstances, like when they had all those extras in THE INHERITANCE. But no leading or featured role on Broadway can be played by a non-Equity member, so if you're not already a member, you have to join.

by Anonymousreply 424April 1, 2024 4:44 PM

That's what I thought too, r424, but I recently heard it from a Equity Councilperson. Legally, Equity can't force you to join.

by Anonymousreply 425April 1, 2024 5:15 PM

Two stars of Broadway shows that we all know were attacked/held up at gun point in the last two days. This city has a major, major mental health crisis on its hands and @govkathyhochul and @nycmayor are failing us with these band aid solutions and stuffing more cops into the picture. More cops and armed national guard don't stop this problem. It's systemic and the only thing that stops that are major investments in mental health and resources and to STOP pumping money into an overbloated NYPD. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. The most wonderful city in the world deserves better than the desperation we leave so many in.

by Anonymousreply 426April 1, 2024 6:11 PM

Tell Eric to get a job and pay his taxes. That would be more helpful than random Instaho posts.

by Anonymousreply 427April 1, 2024 6:56 PM

Julia Lester has been losing a lot of weight since Into the Woods. Maybe Ttip Colman will ask her to do the Lee Remick part in Whistle. She’s only a couple of years younger than Remick was when she originated it.

by Anonymousreply 428April 1, 2024 7:01 PM

I'd rather see Julia play Cora.

by Anonymousreply 429April 1, 2024 7:03 PM

Donna could still do it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430April 1, 2024 7:05 PM

Yeah I don’t know how Equity would spin it other than

“Supreme Cunt, Patti LuPone, known by all for cuntiness rejected her equity card and has decided to work non-contract opposite star of yesteryear (and known mental case) Mia Farrow in a play that is destined to close early”

by Anonymousreply 431April 1, 2024 7:42 PM

What is up with Jordan Fischer’s leave of absence?

by Anonymousreply 432April 1, 2024 7:53 PM

Leave of absence from what, R432?

by Anonymousreply 433April 1, 2024 8:04 PM

Hadestown

by Anonymousreply 434April 1, 2024 8:17 PM

Hilarious that they're trying to pretend it's a scheduled absence - just one of those scheduled things not announced until it actually begins?

by Anonymousreply 435April 1, 2024 8:35 PM

Patti is hardly an unknown who could play an Equity role without major blowback. She decided to leave, so she should not receive any of the benefits.

by Anonymousreply 436April 1, 2024 8:40 PM

Thanks, R434. I saw no announcement of Fisher's leave from HADESTOWN. I don't think it has been very well publicized, which it should have been, even if few people really care.

by Anonymousreply 437April 1, 2024 8:57 PM

Actors can choose to go on voluntary withdrawal from Equity if they're not planning to work under any Equity contracts for a while. They can return to active membership any time they choose, and will then have to pay only their current dues and not back dues for the withdrawal period.

by Anonymousreply 438April 1, 2024 9:11 PM

Right, R438, but it will be interesting if LuPone rejoins, given the statements she has made about Equity.

by Anonymousreply 439April 1, 2024 9:35 PM

What's her gripe with Equity?

by Anonymousreply 440April 1, 2024 9:43 PM

r440 The woman answering the phone didn't know who she was.

Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 441April 1, 2024 9:44 PM

Wow, R441--really?

by Anonymousreply 442April 1, 2024 9:56 PM

That is ridiculous, almost comically so.

by Anonymousreply 443April 1, 2024 9:57 PM

r410 the show is going to be a huge hit but not just because of showstopping vocals. I loved the dancing too. The story was ok.

by Anonymousreply 444April 1, 2024 10:24 PM

Patti stood on the steps behind TKTS and burned her equity card chanting, “I renounce the Devil of Broadway and all that it stands for.”

This after Equity basically paid for her new hips.

by Anonymousreply 445April 1, 2024 10:30 PM

Was she wearing hostess pants, r445?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446April 1, 2024 10:38 PM

r442 I was only exaggerating a tiny amount:

[quote]“They accepted my resignation and told me that if I ever wanted to rejoin, I'd have to be approved,” she explained to the outlet. “And it's the perfect reason I withdrew from Equity. Fifty years to this year...I've been a card-carrying member of Equity, and they don't know who I am basically. They just said, 'Fine, but if you want to rejoin, we're going to have to approve you.'”

So her own reasoning is that she expects the rules to not apply to her. But even that makes no sense, because she's claiming the reason she quit Equity is because of what they said to her after she quit. Who knew that she could see the future?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447April 1, 2024 10:53 PM

Maybe Equity didn’t know who Patti LuPone was because her diction is so bad.

IssPettyLupo

I’m sorry Miss Lupo, but you’re not a registered member.

by Anonymousreply 448April 1, 2024 10:58 PM

Patti LuPone is a shit stirrer.

by Anonymousreply 449April 2, 2024 12:23 AM

Mia Farrow is not box office.

by Anonymousreply 450April 2, 2024 1:22 AM

The chemistry between Norman Bates and Rosemary's Baby was pretty memorable back in 1980.

Patti's got her work cut out for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451April 2, 2024 2:05 AM

Probably, r446. She does have a rather large potamus.

by Anonymousreply 452April 2, 2024 2:05 AM

Saw HELLS KITCHEN over the weekend. Another stupid pop biomusical that screams at you all night. The choreography was exciting but pointless and because you could see ten minutes in how this was all going to end, I left at intermission. Figured it would just be more of the same, and wanted to go meet friends. It will be like the Neil Diamond thing -- big numbers at first, and then a slow death until the theater owner says "enough."

by Anonymousreply 453April 2, 2024 2:09 AM

The personal anti-Patti mythology is hateful. We claim to want real Broadway talent and committed performers and then can’t wait to hate them. I don’t know the woman, but I do know folks who know her and have been in shows with her and they had only good things to say. She shows up, she’s got high standards and she delivers. Way preferable than the bland non-presence “stars” we yawn at in show after show.

by Anonymousreply 454April 2, 2024 2:32 AM

Agreed, r454.

by Anonymousreply 455April 2, 2024 2:44 AM

Mia was quite good in Romantic Comedy and looked about 18 at the time. And after playing opposite hammy Perkins she should be fine playing opposite hammy PLP.

by Anonymousreply 456April 2, 2024 2:51 AM

[quote]I don’t know the woman, but I do know folks who know her and have been in shows with her and they had only good things to say.

That's surprising, seeing as how, judging from her own memoir and some interviews she has given, LuPone seems to have only bad things to say about a huge percentage of the people she has worked with throughout her career.

by Anonymousreply 457April 2, 2024 3:03 AM

[quote]She shows up, she’s got high standards and she delivers.

She yells at audience members - Gypsy

She yells at stage managers - Evita

She yells at other cast members - Noises Off

She fakes tapping - Anything Goes

She misses her cue - Les Miserables

She trashes dressing rooms - Sunset Boulevard

She complains about more experienced cast members - The Bakers Wife

I could go on but I won’t.

by Anonymousreply 458April 2, 2024 3:04 AM

r454 Why should any of that make her immune to criticism? Especially given how much she enjoys criticising others.

by Anonymousreply 459April 2, 2024 3:25 AM

Bless her heart...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460April 2, 2024 3:26 AM

Now did Norma Desmond get hold of Christine Daaé's wardrobe?

by Anonymousreply 461April 2, 2024 3:28 AM

[quote] Mia was quite good in Romantic Comedy and looked about 18 at the time.

Oh Magoo, you've done it again.

by Anonymousreply 462April 2, 2024 4:17 AM

Indeed the Patti hate on this thread is hilariously unhinged. If you all hate her that much she’s doing something right.

by Anonymousreply 463April 2, 2024 4:29 AM

R426 Eric Ulloa's post is very anti-police.

And no accountability for the criminals.

by Anonymousreply 464April 2, 2024 7:06 AM

[quote]R392 it’s a parody of the 1970 dinner theatre circuit.

I found this article (blog entry?) on the rise and fall of dinner theater. It has some gossip in it. Sal Mineo wrecked the furniture on stage.

Plus:

[Italic]Mickey Rooney “would not talk to anyone backstage,” remembers attorney David Tong, who grew up at his parents’ dinner theater, first as a busboy and eventually as production manager. “And he would only sign the ‘Mickey Rooney Scrapbook,’ a magazine he sold there for $10. He would not sign the program.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465April 2, 2024 7:41 AM

From a friend who was in EVITA, Patti-hating by her cast members started a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 466April 2, 2024 12:11 PM

Any word from the first CABARET preview last night?

by Anonymousreply 467April 2, 2024 12:46 PM

Gavin McLeod had to be gay, right? He was even in a Blake Edwards movie “The Party,” and Edwards always put his married gay male lovers into his movies.

by Anonymousreply 468April 2, 2024 1:34 PM

Gavin McLeod

Born: February 28, 1931, Mount Kisco, NY

Died: May 29, 2021 (age 90 years), Palm Desert, CA

Spouse: Patty MacLeod (m. 1985–2021), Patty MacLeod (m. 1974–1982), Joan Devore (m. 1954–1972)

Children: 4

by Anonymousreply 469April 2, 2024 1:39 PM

[quote]He was even in a Blake Edwards movie “The Party,”

Was that the one where Peter Sellers played an Indian? Blake sure liked dressing whites in other ethnicities.

by Anonymousreply 470April 2, 2024 1:55 PM

So what does this mean about Vanya the day before its postponed first preview?

[Quote] Newly announced for the creative team is Elizabeth Harper, who will share lighting-design duties with the previously announced Lap Chi Chu.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471April 2, 2024 2:24 PM

Yes, 46 years ago lots of people didn’t like you either, r466, when you were in your 40s

by Anonymousreply 472April 2, 2024 2:27 PM

Preview delays almost always are about technical problems/set, lighting, sound time.

by Anonymousreply 473April 2, 2024 2:46 PM

[quote]So what does this mean about Vanya the day before its postponed first preview?

They realized that casting Jayne Houdyshell in Chekhov was a huge mistake.

by Anonymousreply 474April 2, 2024 3:51 PM

R453 Funny, I thought the first act of Hell's Kitchen was decent, and the second act was stunning.

by Anonymousreply 475April 2, 2024 3:56 PM

Are people planning to go to Cabaret? If so, what did you pay and where are you sitting? I’m on the fence, but just can’t get over spending nearly fifteen hundred dollars to sit at a table. Or even $800 for a pair of mezzanine seats.

by Anonymousreply 476April 2, 2024 4:10 PM

Jinx is Audrey starting tonight

They never released any audio of Darren, did they?

by Anonymousreply 477April 2, 2024 4:24 PM

Well, now that Jinx has played Audrey, Jayne Houdyshell has somewhere to go after Vanya closes.

by Anonymousreply 478April 2, 2024 4:34 PM

[QUOTE] Are people planning to go to Cabaret? If so, what did you pay and where are you sitting?

I’m going in late April. $250 for orchestra.

by Anonymousreply 479April 2, 2024 4:37 PM

I wonder how many potential Seymors turned down the opportunity to kiss Jinx before they got Corbin Bleu to come back and do it.

by Anonymousreply 480April 2, 2024 4:42 PM

Helen Shaw not a fan of TOMMY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481April 2, 2024 6:07 PM

Lincoln Center has a fee of $16.50 for Uncle Vanya tickets. Why so high?

That’s more than the price of my first Broadway musical.

by Anonymousreply 482April 2, 2024 10:17 PM

Bajour!?

by Anonymousreply 483April 2, 2024 10:22 PM

Gosh $250 r479 to hear Eddie’s weird sing-song delivery. He won an Olivier for this nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 484April 2, 2024 10:40 PM

Saw [bold]Fat Ham[/bold] at the Geffen in L.A. on Sunday. I wish I had whatever the Pulitzer jury was smoking when they awarded that mess the Prize for Drama.

by Anonymousreply 485April 2, 2024 11:13 PM

The Lion King and Wicked made $3 million last week. That's insane!

by Anonymousreply 486April 3, 2024 12:13 AM

"Wicked" and "Lion King" both played nine performances last week.

by Anonymousreply 487April 3, 2024 2:12 AM

Who’s Eric Ulloa?

by Anonymousreply 488April 3, 2024 3:45 AM

Saw CABARET tonight. I preferred the Roundabout edition. This one tries way too hard.

by Anonymousreply 489April 3, 2024 4:16 AM

Tries too hard at what?

by Anonymousreply 490April 3, 2024 4:22 AM

[quote]Indeed the Patti hate on this thread is hilariously unhinged. If you all hate her that much she’s doing something right.

You have a point, my dear. An idiotic one, but a point.

by Anonymousreply 491April 3, 2024 4:29 AM

Christopher Durang has died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492April 3, 2024 2:06 PM

[quote]The Lion King and Wicked made $3 million last week. That's insane!

[quote]"Wicked" and "Lion King" both played nine performances last week.

To the Foster/Tveit haters who keep calling Sweeney Todd a flop despite evidence to the contrary, last week it played 7 performances and grossed $1.497 million (100% capacity).

By comparison, the blockbuster Merrily We Roll Along did 8 shows and grossed $1.527 million (100% capacity).

by Anonymousreply 493April 3, 2024 2:30 PM

Receipts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494April 3, 2024 2:33 PM

I think Sweeney could still sell some tickets even without stars. Sad to see it go.

by Anonymousreply 495April 3, 2024 2:48 PM

Tragic about Chris Durang, what a sad lingering way to go for such a brilliant mind.

I worked with him a couple of times over the years, very prickly personality, not the sweet imp he might have seemed.

Nevertheless, RIP.

by Anonymousreply 496April 3, 2024 2:51 PM

How did he die? Alzheimers?

by Anonymousreply 497April 3, 2024 2:53 PM

He died from complications of the same affliction Bruce Willis currently suffers from.

by Anonymousreply 498April 3, 2024 2:57 PM

Caroline Aaron as Albert's mom at the Kennedy Center [italic] Birdie [/italic] sounds genius. Ditto Richard Kind as Harry MacAfee.

by Anonymousreply 499April 3, 2024 3:18 PM

Sandy Powell doing costumes for the Florence [italic] Gatsby [/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500April 3, 2024 3:21 PM

[quote]Caroline Aaron as Albert's mom at the Kennedy Center Birdie sounds genius. Ditto Richard Kind as Harry MacAfee.

But some of the other casting is questionable, to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 501April 3, 2024 3:29 PM

Has Powell ever designed for the stage?

by Anonymousreply 502April 3, 2024 3:37 PM

So Jenna Russell is in the London Imelda Dolly? As Irene Molly? She’s in her late 50s. Is she really supposed to be believable as Irene? Or is she standing by for Imelda?

by Anonymousreply 503April 3, 2024 3:41 PM

[quote] Has Powell ever designed for the stage?

She did all the ensembles for Kiki & Herb.

by Anonymousreply 504April 3, 2024 4:26 PM

Good Lord Caroline Aaron is a treasure. I first saw her when she replaced Joanna Gleason in Social Security on Broadway and she walked off with the show. She'll be an awesome Mae.

by Anonymousreply 505April 3, 2024 4:34 PM

Maybe the Cornelius will be suitably elderly.

by Anonymousreply 506April 3, 2024 4:45 PM

R506. Robert Lindsey IS Cornelius!

by Anonymousreply 507April 3, 2024 4:51 PM

Sad re: Durang.

by Anonymousreply 508April 3, 2024 5:27 PM

Cornelius is already cast with a 40 year old. Harry Hepple.

by Anonymousreply 509April 3, 2024 5:52 PM

Will Alison Pill be signing playbills at Vanya?

by Anonymousreply 510April 3, 2024 6:14 PM

Maybe someone bought her a rubber stamp and ink pad.

by Anonymousreply 511April 3, 2024 6:23 PM

Is anyone here a member of Theater Extras? It looks like the best of the papering services these days, but I'm loathe to join a new one unless it actually offers good options.

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 512April 3, 2024 9:22 PM

They could have cast Little Charlie Stemp in Imelda Dolly. He already had experience in Midler Dolly.

by Anonymousreply 513April 3, 2024 9:24 PM

Or Play-by-Play?

by Anonymousreply 514April 3, 2024 9:24 PM

[quote]"Wicked" and "Lion King" both played nine performances last week.

The 'trick' of being able to do nine performances when Equity allows actors to only do 8 shows a week probably originated with producer Norman Kean. It works when you have a show with no big names. On any given performance, you rotate some of the cast with understudies so that no one appears more than 8 times a week, but you can get 9 performances when needed, like during holiday weeks. As the owner of the Edison Theatre, he also was able to do two different Broadway shows running at the same time in the same space. OH! CALCUTTA! and Me & Bessie overlapped at the Edison with a Saturday having 4 shows in one day.

by Anonymousreply 515April 3, 2024 9:32 PM

Christopher Durang with his partner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516April 3, 2024 9:33 PM

Norman Kean was keen. Until he wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 517April 3, 2024 10:47 PM

Jim Parsons as the Stage Manager in Our Town? Was Sean Hayes busy? This is community theater level casting. I like my Stage Managers to have a bit of gravitas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518April 3, 2024 11:27 PM

*3* GIRLS *3*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519April 3, 2024 11:41 PM

Yes, r518, with a good amount of anticipation, around the announcing of this cast and its ‘stars,’ it does feel somewhat underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 520April 3, 2024 11:50 PM

R519. That entire production is pitch-perfect. What a cast!

by Anonymousreply 521April 3, 2024 11:58 PM

And it’s being billed as Our Town “for our time.” Pass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522April 3, 2024 11:59 PM

MJ canceled last night and tonight. Cast illness

by Anonymousreply 523April 4, 2024 12:02 AM

Jonathan Groff and his BARbra . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524April 4, 2024 12:03 AM

Let's face it, the only reason anyone is bringing Our Town back is because someone has a hard-on to do it with color blind casting.

George is a black man?! Oh how EDGY! The Narrator is a big, flaming nelly? GENIUS!

It's a bore of a play. I'm surprised they didn't get Kenny Leon to direct it.

by Anonymousreply 525April 4, 2024 12:05 AM

Penelope gave Martha Scott a run for her money…IMHO

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526April 4, 2024 12:07 AM

R525 is the race pest—go away

by Anonymousreply 527April 4, 2024 12:08 AM

R527 is the Tourette's victim who screeches KLAN GRANNY every two minutes.

by Anonymousreply 528April 4, 2024 12:11 AM

Our Town is one of my favorite plays. It will withstand a lot of bad choices, but not Jim Parsons. I can just make some bacon and remember the Cromer production. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 529April 4, 2024 12:12 AM

Spaulding Gray…before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530April 4, 2024 12:15 AM

R528 what a retort! I save my posts for the real thing—unrepentant bigots like yourself. Enjoy your grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 531April 4, 2024 12:17 AM

R531 thinks talking about race means you're a racist.

by Anonymousreply 532April 4, 2024 12:59 AM

Oh no you two again. Starved for attention (and cock).

by Anonymousreply 533April 4, 2024 1:02 AM

[Quote] It's a bore of a play. I'm surprised they didn't get Kenny Leon to direct it.

He is, numb nuts.

by Anonymousreply 534April 4, 2024 1:03 AM

no, I'm not the race arguer. I simply made one statement and the Klan Granny flinger started drooling, so excited to get some action again.

I find it ridiculous that we can't discuss this issue rationally without some white savior coming in and screaming RACIST!

by Anonymousreply 535April 4, 2024 1:04 AM

Michael Stuhlbarg.

by Anonymousreply 536April 4, 2024 1:04 AM

[quote] He is, numb nuts.

No fucking shit, dickhead. It's called sarcasm.

by Anonymousreply 537April 4, 2024 1:05 AM

[quote]I'm surprised they didn't get Kenny Leon to direct it.

R525, Kenny Leon is directing it.

by Anonymousreply 538April 4, 2024 1:17 AM

You don't say!

by Anonymousreply 539April 4, 2024 1:19 AM

[quote] Let's face it, the only reason anyone is bringing Our Town back is because someone has a hard-on to do it with color blind casting.

If there’s no bacon, I ain’t going.

by Anonymousreply 540April 4, 2024 1:22 AM

Ephraim Sykes is 38 years old. Is Stage Manager Jimbo gonna explain why he waited so long to marry Emily Webb? In Act 1, they are teenagers. In Act 2, early 20s.

by Anonymousreply 541April 4, 2024 1:26 AM

“I'm not the race arguer. I simply made one statement…all about race…”

FIFY

by Anonymousreply 542April 4, 2024 1:33 AM

Das Lusitania Songspiel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543April 4, 2024 1:40 AM

Go fuck yourself, R542. You're the Paul Revere of Hall Monitoring on here.

by Anonymousreply 544April 4, 2024 1:41 AM

Gotcha!

by Anonymousreply 545April 4, 2024 1:43 AM

R544 is in the corner—with his lame ass reply.

by Anonymousreply 546April 4, 2024 1:45 AM

I suppose every generation gets the Our Town they deserve.

by Anonymousreply 547April 4, 2024 2:17 AM

Too bad Jinx Monsoon is doing Little Shop. She’d make a great Mrs. Soames.

by Anonymousreply 548April 4, 2024 2:26 AM

What is considered the front runner for the Best Musical Tony?

by Anonymousreply 549April 4, 2024 2:47 AM

Lempicka!

by Anonymousreply 550April 4, 2024 2:50 AM

I saw Kate Mulgrew do it and she got Ryan's Hope because of it. I thought she was terribly miscast. Her George was Richard Backus who also had a career on soaps. Fred Gwynne was Stage Manager and John Glover, Eileen Heckart and Geraldine Fitzgerald were in it as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551April 4, 2024 3:30 AM

I love Barbara Bel Geddes Mid-Atlantic accent. Why don’t more women talk like that?

by Anonymousreply 552April 4, 2024 3:37 AM

[quote]MJ canceled last night and tonight. Cast illness

Seriously? At this point in the run, they don't have enough people to cover? That's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 553April 4, 2024 3:48 AM

Uncle Vanya is all that and a bag of chips. Lovely performances all around.

by Anonymousreply 554April 4, 2024 3:50 AM

[quote]Uncle Vanya is all that and a bag of chips. Lovely performances all around.

So they replaced Jayne Houdyshell, then?

by Anonymousreply 555April 4, 2024 4:02 AM

Are there no other Black directors besides Kenny Leon? Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 556April 4, 2024 4:05 AM

Beware of The Kit Kat Club if you're handicapped or have a disability. They could care less. Also, for a musical about the rise of Fascism, they have the perfect crew outside and inside the theatre. They fit right in.

by Anonymousreply 557April 4, 2024 4:34 AM

[quote]I saw Kate Mulgrew do it and she got Ryan's Hope because of it. I thought she was terribly miscast. Her George was Richard Backus who also had a career on soaps. Fred Gwynne was Stage Manager and John Glover, Eileen Heckart and Geraldine Fitzgerald were in it as well

I saw that production. Geraldine Fitzgerald was a bit long in the tooth to be playing Emily's mother, even in the barn of a theater in which it was performed. Eileen Heckart was out the night I was there, so I saw her understudy, who was possibly the worst actress I've ever seen in a professional production. Any actress from any community theater would have made a more believable Mrs. Gibbs. Her performance was so bad, it's still etched in my memory after these many, many years.

by Anonymousreply 558April 4, 2024 5:23 AM

Many years later, I saw an equally horrible performance: Spalding Grey as the Stage Manager in the 1988 Broadway revival. Even Jim Parsons will have to be better than he was.

by Anonymousreply 559April 4, 2024 5:29 AM

[quote]It's a bore of a play.

If you're a moron.

by Anonymousreply 560April 4, 2024 5:31 AM

OUR TOWN always makes me cry at the end.

by Anonymousreply 561April 4, 2024 5:33 AM

You and many, many others, R561. It's a fine play, but it's the third act that won the Pulitzer Prize.

by Anonymousreply 562April 4, 2024 5:37 AM

Hmmm. The third act wouldn't be so effective if it didn't follow two solid ones.

by Anonymousreply 563April 4, 2024 12:13 PM

How could a young Kate Mulgrew be miscast as Emily Gibbs? She might have given a bad performance but.....miscast?

We might have had a conversation here about this distinction before. Sometimes (maybe often) actors don't have the talent or skills to deliver but that's not the same as being miscast.

by Anonymousreply 564April 4, 2024 12:57 PM

I hate Thornton Wilder’s plays.

by Anonymousreply 565April 4, 2024 1:01 PM

I have tickets for Uncle Vanya in June. As a play it leaves me cold but the cast is intriguing.

by Anonymousreply 566April 4, 2024 1:05 PM

Remember “the wonder years” episode featuring their school production of Our Town? As a gayling viewer, I was quite moved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567April 4, 2024 1:16 PM

I'll defend Spalding Gray's Stage Manager to my dying breath.

by Anonymousreply 568April 4, 2024 1:26 PM

R564, I think sometimes people mean different things when they say a performer is "miscast" in a role. Often they mean miscast in terms of physical type or age, but sometimes they mean miscast in the sense that the actor isn't right for the role because they don't have the ability to play it properly -- for example, a very subtle actor would be miscast as Margo Channing in APPLAUSE, while an actor who can't play subtlety would be miscast as Mary Tyrone in LONG DAY'S JOURNEY and many other roles.

by Anonymousreply 569April 4, 2024 1:32 PM

Oh dear

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570April 4, 2024 2:27 PM

Fuck the Murdoch Sun and fuck you, R570.

by Anonymousreply 571April 4, 2024 2:42 PM

That Our Town at the American Shakespeare Festival in Connecticut was outstanding. It was the first time I'd seen the play on stage, and I was a sobbing mess throughout Act III. I have a vivid memory of a large cluster of black umbrellas on that stage as seen from the mezzanine. Mulgrew was devastating. Michael Kahn really outdid himself with that, with Winter's Tale, and with Cat On A Hot Tin Roof. And Fred Gwynne was just about perfect in all three.

by Anonymousreply 572April 4, 2024 3:03 PM

I love "Our Town." Always have, always will.

by Anonymousreply 573April 4, 2024 5:25 PM

I believe they COULDN’T care less r557

What do you mean about the crew?

by Anonymousreply 574April 4, 2024 6:23 PM

R570 she is completely overrated tbh

Big Wainwright fan though

by Anonymousreply 575April 4, 2024 6:25 PM

There is no trick r515

Equity allows more than 8 shows a few times a year during holiday weeks. Wicked has done 16 shows in a row on tour and were not required by the union to swing anyone on or put on understudies.

by Anonymousreply 576April 4, 2024 6:27 PM

Sheridan Smith blew it several years ago. She won't be back.

by Anonymousreply 577April 4, 2024 6:28 PM

The standbys for Elphaba and Glinda are on at least once a week if not more.

by Anonymousreply 578April 4, 2024 6:32 PM

John Cullum and wife dish on Madeline Kahn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579April 4, 2024 7:08 PM

John Cullum's wife Emily just died a couple of weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 580April 4, 2024 7:27 PM

[quote]I'll defend Spalding Gray's Stage Manager to my dying breath.

Didn't you already drown?

by Anonymousreply 581April 4, 2024 7:32 PM

r578 yes they are but they are not scheduled to be on regularly. The witches just call out.

by Anonymousreply 582April 4, 2024 8:43 PM

I'll just leave this here: Follies opened today (April 4) on Broadway at the Winter Garden Theatre in 1971.

by Anonymousreply 583April 4, 2024 8:52 PM

[quote]Follies opened today (April 4) on Broadway at the Winter Garden Theatre in 1971.

Whew!

by Anonymousreply 584April 4, 2024 9:02 PM

I’m hearing at Cabaret they are putting a sticker over everyone’s camera phone. Please DLers confirm if this is true. That’s like literal rape.

by Anonymousreply 585April 4, 2024 9:09 PM

R585. That explains why no curtain call videos have popped up yet.

by Anonymousreply 586April 4, 2024 9:14 PM

That was done when it opened in London too.

by Anonymousreply 587April 4, 2024 9:16 PM

There is a bootleg available from the London production anyhow r585

by Anonymousreply 588April 4, 2024 9:30 PM

r570 How exactly would an investor close the show? Once they've given their money to the producer do investors actually have any say about anything? And "serving notice on the theatre"? What? I'm guessing these must be first time investors who are about to find out their money doesn't make them producers.

by Anonymousreply 589April 4, 2024 10:00 PM

[quote]Follies opened today (April 4) on Broadway at the Winter Garden Theatre in 1971.

It seems like only yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590April 4, 2024 10:08 PM

Why wasn’t Oh Mary nominated for the Lortel? It’s even PLAYING at the Lortel.

by Anonymousreply 591April 4, 2024 10:09 PM

MARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592April 4, 2024 10:13 PM

R574 R585-By the crew, I mean the security guards outside, the "ushers" inside, and people who were hired to assist patrons. They don't.

Yes, they put stickers on your phones, but it's so half-hearted, they fall off by themselves. I saw people taking pictures from the tables.

by Anonymousreply 593April 5, 2024 2:42 AM

[quote]R565 I hate Thornton Wilder’s plays.

Is there a reason?

Are you a gdamn COMMIE RED??

by Anonymousreply 594April 5, 2024 2:51 AM

Pretty sure the Lortels are for last year's shows, right?

by Anonymousreply 595April 5, 2024 3:00 AM

For some reason I was reading a review of the 2022 MACBETH… and this made me laugh:

[quote]Many of the actors portray two or three roles, there are few clearly articulated scene changes. In a note on the production, the two dramaturgs write that this “simplicity and flexibility…enables a high level of imaginative participation” – which I took to mean, you’re on your own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596April 5, 2024 3:04 AM

According to a crew friend JLo shot “Where You Are” today at a soundstage in NJ for Kiss of the Spider Woman.

by Anonymousreply 597April 5, 2024 3:10 AM

So...it's on.

by Anonymousreply 598April 5, 2024 3:51 AM

Yes, I had heard from someone involved that SPIDER WOMAN is shooting this week in Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 599April 5, 2024 3:55 AM

Spiderwoman has been casting background for the past month or so. No news on the rest of the cast?

by Anonymousreply 600April 5, 2024 4:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!