Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gen Z is toxic for companies, employers believe

Companies are struggling to operate as Gen Z enters the workforce at higher rates, and a growing majority of employers say the younger generation is toxic for their business.

That's the latest from a new Freedom Economy Index report conducted by PublicSquare and RedBalloon this month. In the survey, 68 percent of small business owners said Gen Zers were the "least reliable" of all their employees. And 71 percent said these younger workers were the most likely to have a workplace mental health issue

Pause

Unmute Current Time 0:20 / Duration 0:56

Quality Fullscreen

By Suzanne Blake Reporter, Consumer & Social Trends FOLLOW 75 Companies are struggling to operate as Gen Z enters the workforce at higher rates, and a growing majority of employers say the younger generation is toxic for their business.

That's the latest from a new Freedom Economy Index report conducted by PublicSquare and RedBalloon this month. In the survey, 68 percent of small business owners said Gen Zers were the "least reliable" of all their employees. And 71 percent said these younger workers were the most likely to have a workplace mental health issue.

One of the surveyed employers spoke of Gen Z's "absolute delusion, complete lack of common sense, and zero critical reasoning or basic analytical skills."

The criticism for Gen Z workers was in full force, as less than 4 percent said Gen Z was the generation that most aligns with their workplace culture, and 62 percent said Gen Z was the most likely to create division and toxicity in the workplace.

Another employer noted the generation's tendency for "expecting promotions for simply showing up every day."

The toxicity could even lead to company lawsuits, as 57 percent said Gen Z run the most risk of creating a workplace lawsuit.

Dan Space, an HR consultant who runs DanFromHR.com, said since the study reflects the feelings of small business owners, it could be skewed. These types of businesses often do not pay well or offer a high-quality company culture, he said, and Gen Z tends to look for those in any type of role or career they take on, he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115March 31, 2024 4:18 PM

They go inside Sephora stores and binge on the sample bottles of serum and other skin care products they cannot afford.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2024 10:40 PM

These same companies refuse to higher older workers so they can go fuck themselves.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2024 10:40 PM

I can't believe how bad some of them are. Just very simple things, like showing up on time.

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2024 10:42 PM

To be fair, they were hooked on smartphones and fucking video games as soon as they popped out of the womb. I’d have mental health issues too.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2024 10:45 PM

[quote]These types of businesses often do not pay well or offer a high-quality company culture, he said, and Gen Z tends to look for those in any type of role or career they take on, he said.

Oh, yes ... as opposed to all previous generations who sought out low-paying jobs and shitty work environments because we enjoyed the challenge so much?

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2024 10:59 PM

Because of the dwindling reliability of hitting life milestones these days (job, moving out, getting married, buying a house, etc), capitalism to younger people is more akin to gambling than a way of life, as it was for previous generations. Most tolerate it, some people definitely live for it, but it’s looked upon as pretty toxic in large doses. As the world becomes more competitive to feed capitalists’ endless ambitions, we’ll probably see more groups pull away from a life of commercialization, privation, and exploitation toward simpler, shorter, more solitary, more focused living.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2024 11:01 PM

Prepare for Generation Alpha. They’re a thousand times worse than Z, and they’re illiterate tards on top of it.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2024 11:01 PM

Aren't the oldest ones like 11 years old, R7?

You must be a Zoomer.

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2024 11:03 PM

They have such a stupid attitude in their customer service jobs. That's when they can be bothered to look up from their phones.

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2024 11:04 PM

“History is made by those who show up” – Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli

'Who is that old Jew to be telling us what do do? " - Gen Z

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2024 11:05 PM

I spent some time with two old friends this weekend. One of them has Gen Z kids.

She said, "They don't put up with any shit. They will hold you to your promises. If you say you work from 8-5, then they will only work 8-5. They will be the generation that CHANGES things". She was serious.

I didn't know what to say. In a way, this would be great because being on 24/7 is bullshit (and this is the case for many office jobs these days - especially if you work from home).

On the hand ... I'm not ignoring calls from my director at 5:01 P.M.

Her parenting style as well seemed very lax. We were out as a group of mid 40 year olds (3 women, 2 gay men), watching a burlesque show. One of her kids was texting her CONSTANTLY, and she later told us, the kid texted "I can see you are at a bar, what are you doing? When are you getting home?"

He is 12.

Now ... it isn't that unusual to have that feature turned on (Apple or Android), but I couldn't believe the kid said that. I am not a parent (and perhaps it is a good thing), cause I would have read that kid the riot act when I got home, and threatened all kinds of physical violence (though not followed through).

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2024 11:08 PM

R9, as if older people aren't on their phones all the time, too

The elderly DLers always look for any excuse to bash Gen Z or millennials, when actual voting data showed it was older people who were more likely to support anti-gay ballot initiatives like Prop 8

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2024 11:10 PM

R5 You could buy a house with 10K down payment back then. My mom’s rent was 500$ for a 5 1/2. It’s not the same.

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2024 11:10 PM

[quote] She said, "They don't put up with any shit.

That's part of the problem right there. Part of being an adult is learning how to navigate and deal with shit, whether one likes to or not.

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2024 11:13 PM

It’s mainly older people (relicts of supposedly rosy bygone eras) who desperately need to be rich and famous, make their mark on the world, have their name written in history books, have a bunch of kids, and collect all the gold before croaking. Younger people who grew up with Elon Musk’s constant trolling might not want to become an “entrepreneur” and many aren’t willing to put up with greedy people’s shit to do it.

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2024 11:15 PM

I see nothing wrong with this. Employers have been taking advantage of their employees for decades.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2024 11:24 PM

My favorite Zoomer trend, which I fully support, is the posting on TikTok of reaction videos of their own firings. They're not slinking off into private shame and humiliation; if they've been treated shittily by their employer they publicly turn the tables. (I think there was a DL thread on it.)

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2024 11:26 PM

[quote] Younger people who grew up with Elon Musk’s constant trolling might not want to become an “entrepreneur” and many aren’t willing to put up with greedy people’s shit to do it.

Which is a viable option as long ad mom and dad will pay their bills for them

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2024 11:27 PM

[quote]You could buy a house with 10K down payment back then.

What period are we talking about? Adjusted for inflation, a $10k down payment in 1980 is almost $40k today, and the average down payment then was 28% of the purchase price of a home. Today houses are stupidly expensive but down payments are often dramatically lower than 28%. Interest rates on new mortgages were almost 14% then and there was also an oil crisis.

I'm saying this not be an asshole, because I understand the misery of feeling like you'll never get ahead. But every generation has its economic and political challenges and that's usually glossed over in angry, defeatist social media screeds about capitalism. The housing boom of the '50s, for example, was only made possible by the aftermath of WWII and all the economic pain preceding it.

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2024 11:28 PM

R17, that's fine with these entry-level jobs. Will that come back and haunt them later?

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2024 11:29 PM

R13, and I started my first job out of college in 1978 at $8800/year, equivalent to about $42,000 today. Where I work, most people with college degrees start above that amount, even in the sort of pseudo-secretarial jobs that are so common nowadays.

I paid $200/month (equivalent to $1000 today) for a shitty little apartment in a run-down working-class suburb of Washington. Today, there aren't going to be single apartments at that price, but you could rent a crummy two-bedroom in that same suburb - which has not improved - for $2000 and with a roommate have your own place. Of course it wouldn't be beautiful and new, with a washer/dryer and "open plan" and a gym and nice landscaping; some of your neighbors will probably smoke, and there won't be exciting restaurants around every corner. In 1978, a 21-year-old just out of college didn't expect to have the '70s equivalent of those things. Just living in your own place, independent of your parents, was enough to start with.

My point is that younger people today have higher expectations of almost everything. In a way, that's good because it means our living standard has gone up, but the expectations have gone too far. The value placed on freedom and independence seem to have shrunk away.

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2024 11:43 PM

R19, I bought my first house at age 29 in 2009 for $200,000 with an FHA loan and $10,000 down.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2024 11:58 PM

R10, I don't want to be mean or 'pick on the kids,' as I have nieces and nephews in this age range whom I do love, but FFS: is it too much to ask for young workers to arrive on time? To not constantly call out over some BS excuse?

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2024 3:49 AM

They're arrogant, mentally ill fucks who think they know everything.

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2024 5:08 AM

That being said, R2 is right. These same companies won't hire middle aged and elderly folks who will be reliable workers that show up on time, so yeah, fuck 'em too.

by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2024 5:13 AM

The problem with a large percentage of middle aged and elderly workers is that they’re luddites. They are irritating to work with. They require too much hand-holding.

by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2024 8:19 AM

These little monsters are awful!

by Anonymousreply 27March 27, 2024 9:28 AM

That's true, r26. I'm in my 50's and cannot believe that some of my friends have zero clue how technology works today. One friend just now found out about Venmo...and then refuses to use it because she doesn't trust it. I know others who still go to the bank to deposit their checks even though the bank phone app lets you take pictures of the check and upload it. One friend still has her old cassette tapes from the 80's. She also had no clue how to transfer her info from one old cell phone to a new one. She will also never say her passwords for anything out loud in her own house because she believes her devices are listening to her.

I'm pretty techy myself mostly because I have a curiosity about how things work. I love tech.

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2024 9:38 AM

[quote]Which is a viable option as long ad mom and dad will pay their bills for them

I learned last week a friend of mine and his wife pay the cell phone and car insurance bills for their 29-year-old married son. So bizarre to me.

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2024 11:03 AM

As someone who manages people, I will say the “mental health conditions” are increasingly becoming trickier to manage and to navigate. There’s a growing expectation that poor performance be accommodated because “mental health”. I can retire in 8 years and can’t wait.

by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2024 11:17 AM

Newsweek is now a right wing rag, so take anything they have to say with a massive grain of salt. That being said, Gen Z is a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2024 12:19 PM

Good, finally people don't get off on toiling for someone else's profit. Maybe it is not just that this generation have been spoiled and learned to put themselves in first place, but also because wages have become shit. The exploitation has gotten as in Charles Dickens' time. Just a couple of decades ago you could have lived comfortably of your salary, now you give all just to live in some den and to eat.

And as some poster stated, these assholes are crying that kids nowadays are unreliable, yet they wouldn't touch older employees with the stick. The want to throw older employees in garbage and start exploiting young and fresh ones, and then surprise surprise, when young ones refuse to be used and spit out liked older ones.

by Anonymousreply 32March 27, 2024 12:54 PM

I have no problem with Gen Zers standing up for themselves at work and refusing to be taken advantage of in terms of hours and salaries. Employers rode roughshod over previous generations. But things like not showing up on time and not meeting performance standards for "mental health reasons" are ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2024 1:06 PM

[quote]It’s mainly older people (relicts of supposedly rosy bygone eras) who desperately need to be rich and famous, make their mark on the world, have their name written in history books, have a bunch of kids, and collect all the gold before croaking. Younger people who grew up with Elon Musk’s constant trolling might not want to become an “entrepreneur” and many aren’t willing to put up with greedy people’s shit to do it.

I don’t think that young ones would mind becoming the powerful multibillionaire that spends most of his time commenting on twitter, it is just that they are more clever than previous generations and know they will never become one, since these people make less than 1% of population, but will toil for one of them for few bobs the rest of their lives.

Btw. straight young men are fond of Elon Musk. When speaking about gen Z, you frequently think of woke girls and upper class boys. Middle and working class boys are rather conservative and they are cheering Elon on social media most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 34March 27, 2024 1:06 PM

Newsweek is a shiteous site now, boomery and MAGAty, so this should be taken with a grain of salt.

by Anonymousreply 35March 27, 2024 1:12 PM

Wow, didn't see R31 but we said almost the same thing! Ooops, my bad.

by Anonymousreply 36March 27, 2024 1:13 PM

Employers are always complaining about young workers and with good cause. Lots of them take a long time to realize that, in the long runm they can't be treated as pampered children.

by Anonymousreply 37March 27, 2024 1:25 PM

Yeah, it might have behooved Newsweek to seek out the perspective of some Gen Zers. But that would have required some actual reporting.

by Anonymousreply 38March 27, 2024 1:32 PM

[quote]Yeah, it might have behooved Newsweek to seek out the perspective of some Gen Zers.

It might also behoove some critics to read the full article, which contains extensive quotes from an HR consultant who vigorously defends these younger workers.

by Anonymousreply 39March 27, 2024 1:35 PM

Is it really hard to believe that employers don't like Gen Z? They spend so much time bragging on TikTok about how they waste company time. It wouldn't be difficult for competent management to pick up on that.

by Anonymousreply 40March 27, 2024 1:36 PM

Millenials, the world over, are finally breathing a sigh of relief now that there is a new scapegoat in town. I remember when it was newsworthy that a new generation (Millennials) were entering the workforce and how the workplace had to adapt to accommodate these fledgling workers! It was ridiculous.

Go to work, at the very least show up on time and do what is assigned/asked of you.

by Anonymousreply 41March 27, 2024 8:15 PM

Zero social skills and they have zero interest trying to develop them or sharpen up on them.

by Anonymousreply 42March 27, 2024 8:20 PM

What year are you calling from R26?? You know damned well anyone 50-65 has grown up with the changing technology. We have fucking lived through everything you have AND have a work ethic that you certainly don’t. Knock it off with this shit. Boomers are nearly gone from the workforce asshole,

by Anonymousreply 43March 27, 2024 9:11 PM

They are like literally retarded!

by Anonymousreply 44March 27, 2024 9:13 PM

[quote]We have fucking lived through everything you have AND have a work ethic that you certainly don’t. Knock it off with this shit. Boomers are nearly gone from the workforce asshole,

Yes, I work overtime and spend a large part of my day answering my coworkers questions about things for which they should already know the answer and still manage to complete all of my own tasks because of my lack of work ethic.

by Anonymousreply 45March 27, 2024 9:48 PM

You dear R45, sound like a raging narcissistic nut job. And a bit of a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 46March 27, 2024 10:47 PM

R42, as human beings on this earth, I think the kids are mainly okay. But as workers, they suck!! At least right now.

I feel like I've inherited a school of messy 20something children without having undergone the miracle of life itself.

by Anonymousreply 47March 27, 2024 11:25 PM

R43 the DL is fertile ground for ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 48March 27, 2024 11:27 PM

R3, Sitting through The English Patient is the single most torturous experience I have ever had in a movie theater. Not to mention that supposed hero - oh, so romantic! - betrayed the Allies for the fucking Nazis. Horrible, horrible, overwrought and amoral film.

by Anonymousreply 49March 28, 2024 10:59 PM

Oh, dear to me! That ^^^, R49, was most definitely posted to the wrong thread. My apologies for imposing my rant on this tranquil, well-mannered group.

by Anonymousreply 50March 28, 2024 11:01 PM

R49 wrong thread, doll.

by Anonymousreply 51March 28, 2024 11:01 PM

Poor poor corporate parasites. Suck it up; the future belongs to the younger generations, so perhaps you need to update your antiquated employment structures, hmmm?

by Anonymousreply 52March 28, 2024 11:09 PM

Our society is going down the toilet so fast.

by Anonymousreply 53March 28, 2024 11:17 PM

I have to manage a group of Gen Zers and it often sucks. They’re all very smart, but most of them bitch loudly and often about being expected to work. They also gleefully throw others under the bus and seem incapable of learning from their mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 54March 29, 2024 1:20 AM

My experience in a rather long life (70 years) that the youngest of adults have always been the least reliable and stable. Nothing new- ditto young graduate students. We just have a bame for young adults, older, and still older etc so we can compare and generalize the generations and accuse because it’s good copy.

by Anonymousreply 55March 29, 2024 1:25 AM

Name not “bame”

by Anonymousreply 56March 29, 2024 1:26 AM

R21 you’re glossing over the astronomical costs of student loans today. You also ignore that the prices of gas, food, etc. are higher. Interest rates are outrageously high making home ownership pretty much impossible for the majority of younger millennials/Gen Z.

It’s not that younger people don’t value independence, it’s simply too expensive for many of them.

by Anonymousreply 57March 29, 2024 4:20 AM

R57, interest rates are not higher than they were in 1978, R57. The current average 30-year fixed mortgage rate is about 7.5%. In 1978, it was 9.6%. By 1981, it had risen to 16.6%.

by Anonymousreply 58March 29, 2024 9:21 AM

Fuck employers and whatever they believe.

by Anonymousreply 59March 29, 2024 10:14 AM

[quote]interest rates are not higher than they were in 1978, [R57]. The current average 30-year fixed mortgage rate is about 7.5%. In 1978, it was 9.6%. By 1981, it had risen to 16.6%.

Anything that happened before I was born doesn't count!

by Anonymousreply 60March 29, 2024 10:44 AM

R58 you just omitted one little unimportant fact, that the price of average home in 70s have been 17000 dollars.

by Anonymousreply 61March 29, 2024 11:16 AM

11 Red States are suing Biden over his student debt relief plan.

Gen Zers and Millennials in response: "I'm not voting for Biden, he hasn't done anything for me."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 29, 2024 12:03 PM

Are they called Gen Zed in Britain and other commonwealth countries?

by Anonymousreply 63March 29, 2024 12:31 PM

[Quote]the future belongs to the younger generations

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 29, 2024 12:59 PM

My boss is generation z. He seems okay. It’s manufacturing so it’s nice to have someone that can get to our alarming jigs quicker than my previous boomer bosses. He started out as an associate and worked his way up quickly. He does pretty well managing our diverse crew and I know he gets crap from some of the older crew who are weird about having a much younger boss. I think every generation has bad apples. They’re not all bad and the ones that are may get better after they mature a little. It’s doubtful someone with a poor work ethic in their 40s or 50s is suddenly going to grow some work ethic,

by Anonymousreply 65March 29, 2024 1:29 PM

R61, no, although the cost of housing today is a big problem. The median house price in the US in 1978 was $55,700. Median household income was $15,070.

The comparable numbers for today are $412,000 and $67,521.

So, yes, house prices have gone up faster than income - which is no surprise to anybody and a serious issue that no one seems to know how to deal with - but it was a still a significant expense compared to income all those years ago. Few people came out of college and bought a house. They rented, often for a number of years, before buying.

by Anonymousreply 66March 30, 2024 6:22 AM

Gen Z doesn’t tolerate bullshit. All this article is saying is Gen Z are harder to control and are the least subservient generation.

by Anonymousreply 67March 30, 2024 6:30 AM

R67 Oh honey. The reality of life, of bills and bosses and mortgages and taking care of aging parents, hasn't hit them in the face yet. They'll be just as subservient as everybody else. Just give them time.

by Anonymousreply 68March 30, 2024 6:46 AM

[quote] My boss is generation z.

Do you work at Hot Dog on a Stick?

by Anonymousreply 69March 30, 2024 6:47 AM

Anyone shitting on people for asking for more in this era of massive financial inequality is either obtuse, over reliant on anecdotal data, or is just an asshole. The world is a fucking casino where people's personal contexts increase or decrease their odds.

by Anonymousreply 70March 30, 2024 6:57 AM

R68 None of that will make them cave in to being suckers and doormats for their employers.

by Anonymousreply 71March 30, 2024 7:08 AM

Gen Z should consider themselves lucky that they're in an economy with so many available entry-level jobs. How much money are they thinking they should be earning when they're at the bottom of the ladder?

by Anonymousreply 72March 30, 2024 7:11 AM

R71, well then I guess their parents can look forward to supporting their dead beat asses for life!

Taking and following orders from a boss is just life. I guess they haven't figured that out yet?

by Anonymousreply 73March 30, 2024 7:14 AM

Taking unregulated orders from a boss is not "just life".

by Anonymousreply 74March 30, 2024 7:29 AM

R74 good luck to them! They're going to need it with that attitude.

by Anonymousreply 75March 30, 2024 7:35 AM

You don't sound like a very creative person with critical thinking skills, R75. Perhaps it is better that you're just controlled by others.

by Anonymousreply 76March 30, 2024 7:36 AM

Gen Z actually thinks they can get away with working in their life. They have an entire subreddit dedicated to it called r/anti-work.

It's hilarious and delusional.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 30, 2024 7:41 AM

withOUT working that is.

by Anonymousreply 78March 30, 2024 7:41 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79March 30, 2024 7:43 AM

Why are you talking to yourself and posting right wing agenda parrot 🦜 links, r77, 78, and 79?

by Anonymousreply 80March 30, 2024 7:54 AM

I found the Zoomer at R80! Shouldn't you be mindlessly scrolling on TikTok?

by Anonymousreply 81March 30, 2024 7:55 AM

You're cute, r81. I'm a gen Xer who has worked very hard to not become old and bitter, knowing from experience what a gift it is for me to be alive and to have these extra years. Many of those who are around me when I was young didn't get them, so I'm going to happily live the hell out of these extra years.

Oh, and I love tiktok, because it's damned educational if you know how to curate your content. But evidently, claiming your own power doesn't seem to be your forté, so I don't expect you to have any respect for that.

by Anonymousreply 82March 30, 2024 8:02 AM

R82 that's all fine and dandy but you're not doing them any favors encouraging them to not work.

by Anonymousreply 83March 30, 2024 8:05 AM

You don't know what I'm encouraging anyone to do. You're just filling in blanks to fit your fucking narrative. Who needs to grow up now?

by Anonymousreply 84March 30, 2024 8:06 AM

R84 Calm down XTown. You're the one gloating about these entry level workers not taking BS or orders or being subservient. Okay, well good for them I guess? But that's a very unrealistic approach to work to put it mildly. I don't know what jobs they expect to get right out of the gate but good luck to them. They're going to need it.

by Anonymousreply 85March 30, 2024 8:13 AM

You really aren't self-aware are you? Take the L and move on.

by Anonymousreply 86March 30, 2024 8:23 AM

I applaud Gen Z.

Not everything about them is that impressive, but I love the articles about them not working a minute longer than they’re getting paid for.

Unlike my millennial generation, who is somehow too similar to the boomers (in a sad, no-money way), Gen Z might actually effect change.

by Anonymousreply 87March 30, 2024 8:32 AM

I agree with Dutchie on this. They know that the world is fucked and that they are fucked (if not rich already by way of their parents)

I hope these kids change the world.

I am 44 and I feel it too. I work 60 hours a week but these kids are right on the money with their attitude.

The world has been rigged for hundreds of years.

by Anonymousreply 88March 30, 2024 11:56 AM

I’m very impressed with the Generation Z colleagues I have. But I’m at a large firm and they went through rigorous screening and most came through formal analyst programs. So they wanted the roles they have and put effort into getting them. But I also get the occasional Gen Z-er hitting me up on LinkedIn and they seem pretty industrious .

What I don’t like about Gen Z in general (and I have not seen this at work, only in other settings), is the open discussion of their mental health.

First off, I don’t fucking care. You’re 25. We aren’t going to fuck or become friends, why are you subjecting me to such a boring subject?

Second, why would you ever reveal a flaw to a very casual acquaintance, unless it’s done in an amusing, self-deprecating way? What’s the point? Most people know not to openly boast about their positive qualities out of the blue, why is it acceptable to give a run down of your negative traits? Why are you bragging about something bad?

Third, EVERYONE experiences stress and anxiety. You don’t all have stress or anxiety that rises to the level of a mental health issue, so why are 90% of you claiming to? Yes, it’s good to address problems - with the appropriate friends, family members, and healthcare professionals, not me, ffs. It’s also good not to imagine them into existence.

I was at a spa/resort a couple years ago with a communal dining set up. Mostly older chubs like me, but some spoiled Gen Z-ers. One day I had to listen to a guy I had never met before tell me about his autism. Same day, next meal, a young woman starts going on about “living with anxiety.” You are at a spa. There is ZERO here that induces stress or anxiety. Shut up.

Six or seven years ago I did a stint at rehab. I liked the Gen Z-ers, but was struck by how they were all describing rehab as “the hardest thing I have ever done.” Rehab was the easiest thing I have even done. Because you are literally not allowed to do anything else. No internet, no phone, no job. Meals and laundry done for you. Maybe you don’t want to be there, but it’s not hard. A little boring. Most of them have actually done hard stuff. Dealt with parents with substance abuse issues. Deal with the consequences of their own substance abuse issues (there are a lot). So it was so weird to hear them identify rehab as something hard. Especially the drunks. For those of you without drinking problems, once you are out of the detox stage and not drinking, anxiety usually plummets. But they just had it in their heads that they were doing something hard. Which really made me wonder how easy they had it outside of rehab. I think they were probably pretty shitty at their jobs, even outside of the being high and drunk issue.

by Anonymousreply 89March 30, 2024 12:39 PM

Exactly R68. They’re not going to change anything.

by Anonymousreply 90March 30, 2024 12:44 PM

Is anybody else tired of everybody else kissing Gen Z's ass? All of this praise for so little to show. No wonder they have such hubris.

by Anonymousreply 91March 30, 2024 5:50 PM

Gen Z in UK treating employers like bad dates.

[quote]The research [via Fortune] from employment site Indeed shows that employers have been ignored by younger workers, with people failing to show up for job interviews or their first day in their new job.

[quote]The research involved 1,500 people working in the UK, with 75 per cent of Gen Z involved saying they’ve ignored prospective employers in the past 12 months.

[quote]While other generations also showed similar behaviours on a lesser scale, Gen Z showed the worst habits – with 93 per cent admitting to have not turned up to interviews.

[quote]US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy delved into Gallup's 2024 World Happiness report, which found those in their twenties are the most unhappy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 30, 2024 8:19 PM

R92 Gen Z's entitlement is off the charts and it doesn't help when there are people egging them on, like on this thread.

I also don't get articles like the ones below. Is there a reason to be worried about 24-year-olds not buying homes? I don't get it. Are they at an age or stage in their career where this is expected?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 30, 2024 9:46 PM

The motherfuckes are proving themselves be the ruination of the America. Workforce as we know it. Blame stupid ass Gen X, and Millennials for their hands off / iPhone on approach to parenting, allowing a whole generation to be raised by social media influencers who are themselves godless sacks of shit.

by Anonymousreply 94March 30, 2024 9:52 PM

[quote] The research involved 1,500 people working in the UK, with 75 per cent of Gen Z involved saying they’ve ignored prospective employers in the past 12 months.

That's probably not Gen Z per se. Living on the dole has been the preferred British way of life since Clement Attlee was PM.

by Anonymousreply 95March 30, 2024 10:16 PM

After reading this thread and others like it, I was tickled to come across this story in my news feed earlier today. It seems that Gen Z is fed up with those entitled Gen Alpha brats. According to them, Gen Alpha are all much too dependent on technology, are neurotic and self-absorbed, and have horrible social skills. [italic]Quelle horreur![/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 30, 2024 10:17 PM

R96 Haha look at Gen Z trying to pass the hot potato onto the next younger ones.

No, no, no, kiddoes. That's not the way it works. They're in the HAZING hot seat for the next 10 to 15 years and they better just SUCK IT UP.

by Anonymousreply 97March 30, 2024 10:48 PM

This must be why corporate CEOs don’t want us to retire at 65.

by Anonymousreply 98March 30, 2024 11:48 PM

[quote] Gen Z should consider themselves lucky that they're in an economy with so many available entry-level jobs.

Yeah, so? So why shouldn't they exploit that for accelerated advancement and pay?

God knows as soon as the labor market flips, business will have no qualms about dumping them post haste. They saw it happen to their parents in '09. They're not naive.

by Anonymousreply 99March 31, 2024 12:20 AM

The ways in which Gen Z workers are lucky:

1). Even though they whine about Boomers so much, they largely don't have to deal with Baby Boomers. Not as bosses, not in management, not even as parents.

2). Minimum wages are the highest they've been in years.

3). Job availability is high. This isn't 2008 when jobs were non-existent.

4). Work from home is now a thing. Now many Zoomers never even have to see the inside of a cubicle.

5). Even Gen Z cashiers now have the option of customers tipping them 10, 15, or 20% for a tip. Prior generations did t have this luxury.

by Anonymousreply 100March 31, 2024 1:30 AM

Whew gurl, the same exact clickbait articles were written about Gen X and Millennials. And about Boomers on stone tablets.

by Anonymousreply 101March 31, 2024 1:57 AM

No, they weren't, R101 and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 102March 31, 2024 3:09 AM

Oh please r102, it's a tradition. Complain about the younger generation having no work ethic. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find hieroglyphs about the same thing gurl

by Anonymousreply 103March 31, 2024 3:26 AM

Poor Gen Z. Wahhh wahhhhhh

They're the only ones to undergo such scrutiny of their youth!

by Anonymousreply 104March 31, 2024 3:29 AM

I would assume employers would have a blacklist of possible candidates who did not show up for interviews which could be shared among employers.

Not showing up and wasting another person's time who is waiting for you to arrive is nasty, childish and just plain rude.

If every time this happened, the guilty party's name was added to the list, they would soon no longer have interviews to ignore because employers would cease to take them seriously.

Just not showing up and not even calling to explain would be a huge red flag and payback would be warranted.

by Anonymousreply 105March 31, 2024 3:51 AM

R103 it's also a tradition that the generation who finally escaped the freshman hot seat now gets to haze and dunk on the next generation that comes after. And Millennials will not be denied this pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 106March 31, 2024 3:53 AM

R105 maybe there on the wild west it would be common for companies to share personal data (remember Facebook scandal), but in Europe it is prohibited and goes punished by really big fines plus public shame if a company discloses personal data, so only the most ruthless do it.

by Anonymousreply 107March 31, 2024 8:21 AM

The interview no-shows are probably online interviews. I recently agreed to to an online interview. I wasn’t all that interested in the job, but they sent several requests (and yes, I definitely had the impression they were casting a wide net). Interviewer didn’t show up. He did apologize after the fact.

Nobody should be failing to show up for a scheduled interview, but I think the easy of scheduling and conducting online meetings makes people value them less. And it also makes it much more likely that the interviewer is just padding their list of candidates interviewed.

Job hunters have been treated like shit for a long time. Getting ghosted, having the process dragged out for an unreasonable length of time, being used just to justify hiring someone internal, someone’s niece, someone who needs a VISA. And I’ve noticed a lot of jobs on LinkedIn that seem to be NYC-based jobs where they still don’t post the salary range link they are supposed to.

When employers start providing applicants with weekly updates as to the status of their application (including an initial yes or not right now without 2-3 weeks), real feedback, and general info on who was hired (internal or external, what they had they pushed them over the top), then I’ll get mad at applicants for skipping interviews.

I realize the HR people in the trenches and even sr HR people don’t have the ability to make all these changes. But are they so hard? Why don’t a few large firms in industries were recruiting in competitive start doing this? It would be great PR. The only answer I can think of is they don’t want people to know why they weren’t hired (= it’s a bullshit reason).

by Anonymousreply 108March 31, 2024 2:18 PM

R108, Gen Z is just going to have to learn how to interview for jobs, just like all of the rest of us had to. Poor them.

by Anonymousreply 109March 31, 2024 2:36 PM

Sadly life is going to be one giant disappointment for many in Gen Z. Failure after failure. Unless they have parents will to house them for the rest of their lives, they will be homeless. They will never know what real wealth is. They will never get to retire. They are doomed. It's not entirely their fault. Their parents are to blame. They should all have been disciplined more. And most to blame is social media which gives them unrealistic expectations and delusions. I won't hire anyone from that age group ever again.

by Anonymousreply 110March 31, 2024 3:08 PM

[quote] I won't hire anyone from that age group ever again.

You're not alone!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111March 31, 2024 3:20 PM

R96 the little cunts don't want any criticism aimed their way at all, and yet there they are, already picking on children. Fuck Gen Z!

by Anonymousreply 112March 31, 2024 3:25 PM

We’re probably at the natural limit of efficiency for our current economic and social systems. All of the doom and gloom of Gen Z is emotional noise right now; but in real terms, it will just result in fewer humans being born, which is natural for animals under pressure and probably good for us in the long run. Obviously, profits will be made up in the coming decades by immigrants, but birth rates will trend in that same direction in most places around the world. It’s kind of exciting to see humanity “evolving” socially.

by Anonymousreply 113March 31, 2024 4:06 PM

R113 Nah. We're fucked.

by Anonymousreply 114March 31, 2024 4:13 PM

[Quote] The motherfuckes are proving themselves be the ruination of the America

Lmao

by Anonymousreply 115March 31, 2024 4:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!