Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Halle Berry Recalls Her Doctor Saying She Had the 'Worst Case of Herpes' He'd Ever Seen

Halle Berry is detailing the bizarre way she learned she was in perimenopause.

During Propper Daley's fourth "A Day of Unreasonable Conversation" summit Monday, the actress had a candid conversation with First Lady Dr. Jill Biden about menopause and women’s health.

The 57-year-old shared that she learned she was perimenopause after her doctor mistook her symptoms for herpes. Perimenopause refers to the time where the body starts to make its natural transition to menopause, which marks the end of a woman's reproductive years.

“First of all, my ego told me that I was going to skip [perimenopause],” she began. “I'm in great shape. I'm healthy. I managed to get myself off of insulin and manage my diabetes since I'm 20 years old. So that makes one think, oh, I can handle menopause. I'm going to skip that whole thing. I was so uneducated about it at that time.”

Berry explained that when she was 54 she met the “man of my dreams” and started dating Grammy-winning musician Van Hunt. Sharing details about her sex life, the Oscar winner recalled having extreme pain after intercourse one day so she immediately visited her doctor.

“I feel like I have razor blades in my vagina. I run to my gynecologist and I say, ‘Oh my God, what's happening?’ It was terrible,” she recalled, teasing that she has “no shame” sharing her story because it can help other women. “He said, ‘You have the worst case of herpes I've ever seen.’ I'm like, ‘Herpes? I don't have herpes!’”

Berry said she immediately confronted Hunt about it. However, the couple later both tested negative for the sexually transmitted disease (STD).

“I realize after the fact, that is a symptom of perimenopause,” the actress said, noting that dryness is a symptom of the transitional period. “My doctor had no knowledge and didn't prepare me. That's when I knew, ‘Oh my gosh, I've got to use my platform. I have to use all of who I am, and I have to start making a change and a difference for other women.”

Berry ended the conversation asking the audience to “help us change the way culture views women at this stage of our life.”

Back in August 2023, the star spoke to Women’s Health about menopause and said she’s not going to surrender to society's expectations about it.

In fact, Berry said she’s “challenging all those stereotypes about how you have to look a certain way or feel a certain way” while she’s “smack dab in the middle of menopause.”

“I am challenging everything I thought I knew about menopause. Things like: ‘Your life is over.’ ‘You are disposable.’ ‘Society no longer has a place for you.’ ‘You should retire.’ ‘You should pack it up,’ ” she said at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 27, 2024 9:52 PM

I guess this is the decade of oversharing? How dumb.

If she had been a little more educated about the topic, she'd have known this is a classic hallmark of the condition.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2024 5:58 PM

I don’t feel sharing a misdiagnosis is too much information. I feel bad for women and their menstrual struggles. My mother told me plenty enough about women’s anatomy to completely steer clear of it!

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2024 6:06 PM

At least she can be relevant this century now.

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2024 6:06 PM

She just needed a good turpentine douche.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2024 6:17 PM

I do not envy women in matters of health or biology.

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2024 6:20 PM

So what’s the lesson here, that if you think you have herpes, you might not?

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2024 6:24 PM

She told this to the First Lady? Imagine this conversation with Bar Bush, Nancy Reagan or Mamie Eisenhower.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2024 6:31 PM

Why would any even halfway competent doctor declare that a patient has herpes without testing her first?

I do not believe her story.

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2024 6:37 PM

Halle's pussy stinks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2024 6:40 PM

So women get oozing pustules all over their vaginas during menopause? News to me.

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2024 5:49 AM

Only one nomination.

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2024 6:18 AM

Herpe Berry

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2024 8:23 AM

Herpes or Menopause?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2024 8:27 AM

Dingleberry

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2024 8:33 AM

I’m confused. How does a scorching case of herpes turn out to simply perimenopause? The math ain’t mathing here, but then again, consider the source.

by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2024 9:25 AM

Why would any even halfway competent doctor declare that a patient has herpes without testing her first?

You must not have much experience with doctors these days. The fools they graduate from medical school are embarrassing in many cases. I once had to rush my father to the emergency room of a huge and highly regarded medical center when he started having a massive pain in his mid section. Pain so serious he couldn't even walk. The first ER doctor who saw him, a young guy, came out and told us very matter of factly that my father had likely had an aortic dissection (a split in his aorta) and likely would not survive much longer. Finally a more experienced doctor examined my father and found that he had pancreatitis. They gave him some pain medication and put him in a room and kept him there for 5 days with absolutely no solid food. Nothing but jello and liquids. By the 5th day he had been pain free for 3 days, but they wanted to keep him several more days, they said just to make sure he was completely over it (which really meant "we need to soak you for as much money as we possibly can"). My mother told the doctor that they were checking out that day, and when the doctor tried to put up a fight she very sternly said "GET HIS BILL READY, NOW!". We left the hospital and went straight to a restaurant because my father was ravenously hungry. He never had a problem with pancreatitis again.

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2024 12:36 PM

She cares about how we treat old women now that she's old.

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2024 5:22 PM

I am not sure this happened exactly the way she says BUT trying to get any good information about peri or menopause is incredibly difficult. I have heard, multiple times from doctors 'it's difficult, there's not much studied on it and it seems every woman is different because of hormones'.

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2024 5:33 PM

Dumbest doctor on God’s Green Earth.

by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2024 5:40 PM

I think that she has a bad case of pussy-itis.

That's my official diagnosis.

Take some vinegar with a bit of honey and whiskey, and get 24 hours bed rest.

You'll feel all better tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2024 5:56 PM

Gurl it was herpes...

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2024 6:18 PM

[quote]r2 I feel bad for women and their menstrual struggles.

Agreed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2024 6:34 PM

Halle is known to be an unreliable narrator.

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2024 7:52 PM

[QUOTE]I’m confused. How does a scorching case of herpes turn out to simply perimenopause? The math ain’t mathing here, but then again, consider the source.

I've never had herpes, but have had plenty of experience with perimenopause. Yes, one can feel the dryness, but there's no burning or pain. It's just mildly uncomfortable.

[QUOTE]“He said, ‘You have the worst case of herpes I've ever seen.’

Do you see the problem here? A male, probably an internist not a gyno. WTF would a woman go to a male and expect understanding about gynecological issues?

The "worst case of herpes" suggests blisters and lesions at the area of contact. He had absolutely no visual confirmation of their presence. And she went elsewhere to get herself tested? The guy didn't do testing for confirmation himself?

Yeah, but consider the source.

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2024 7:58 PM

"Yes, one can feel the dryness, but there's no burning or pain. It's just mildly uncomfortable."

That might have been true for you, but my sister had the dryness so bad she said it hurt like hell.

by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2024 8:01 PM

He should have told Halle she was pregnant.

That really would have thrown her for a loop!

by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2024 8:01 PM

KY works wonders.

by Anonymousreply 27March 27, 2024 8:08 PM

yeah, I have had internal dryness that made even walking uncomfortable. Never would've thought that was possible until it happened to me. It felt like little paper cuts occurring

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2024 8:26 PM

Replense is what worked for my sister. She was in a lot of pain.

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2024 8:27 PM

The two worst aspects of meno for me have been intense anxiety and insomnia. I've found marijuana enormously helpful for both and smoke regularly. Another benefit: it's the only thing that improves my libido and along with it, the dryness. Maybe this is why it hasn't been much of an issue for me.

by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2024 8:52 PM

Yes, the anxiety was alarming. I have always had anxiety so when it turned to panic disorder I had no idea, I spent over a year going to doctors and the emergency room and urgent care thinking I was dying of a heart attack or lung cancer. I had so many tests. Not one doctor said 'hey, you are almost 50 and anxiety is a huge indicator of perimenopause, lets take a blood test!'

I wound up with such consistent panic and anxiety I had to have friends check on me multiple times a day and gave myself ulcers in my throat and other various digestive issues.

fuck the medical industry when it comes to female care.

I finally, in a reddit rabbit hole, realized it might be perimenopause. I asked my doctor about what to expect and got the 'it's different for everyone' shit. My hair had fallen out from stress, I hadn't slept in months (also a classic symptom) and I was frankly borderline suicidal.

by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2024 9:03 PM

She was married to Eric Benet. She’s lucky she didn’t get fullblown AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 32March 27, 2024 9:07 PM

[quote] She was married to Eric Benet. She’s lucky she didn’t get fullblown AIDS.

Meaning what, R32?

He's married with two kids.

I'm not sure what you're implying.

by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2024 9:09 PM

men get to experience menstrual cramps

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 27, 2024 9:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!