Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nerd Alert Thread!! I’ve noticed a few Trekkies on DL. Stand up and be counted.

I’ll start. I’m Trekkie number 1. I love all Trek.

by Anonymousreply 69April 4, 2024 10:55 AM

I like Star Trek but only the original series and movies.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2024 5:53 PM

We are few but we tend to be loud.

I've seen everything except for the second season of TOS and the TOS cartoons and the pre-NuTrek movies.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2024 6:04 PM

TNG Stan here.

I need to get on a DS9 Marathon watch asap. For some reason, I never got into it when it aired.

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2024 7:08 PM

I'm waiting for the musical.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2024 7:13 PM

There is an unfortunate musical episode of Strange New Worlds.

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2024 8:11 PM

Nothing unfortunate about it, it was great!

By the way, last season of Discovery starts next week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2024 8:15 PM

Only the OGST. Spock and Chechov were two of my first crushes.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2024 8:18 PM

[quote]Hell No! Nerd Stuff.

If you voted for this option, I will have you EJECTED into SPACE!!

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2024 8:20 PM

Another TNG fan here.

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2024 8:47 PM

I am a Trek fan, but with some qualifiers. I've been watching it almost continuously since I was a child, around 1967-68, when I was three or four.

I am a fan of the Original Series, the Animated Series, The Next Generation, and Deep Space Nine. I've watched all of the movies, but have opinions on their relative merits. I like Discovery, Trek Shorts, Strange New Worlds, and Lower Decks.

The restored version of the original pilot, 'The Cage', is sensational. I am also a big fan of the Original Series' Remastered Episodes.

'Voyager' challenged my patience. I didn't watch much of it on its original run. I let a few years pass, and then watched a smattering of episodes. I still haven't seen all of it.

When 'Enterprise' began back in 2001, I found its affect of 'Murican patriotism - and singing about "faith of the heart" - very offputting. I didn't watch it during its television run in the midst of the George Dubya era, but over the years since, I've sat in the room with perhaps a couple dozen episodes. I am still unmotivated to delve any deeper. For me, it still smacks too much of 'Freedom Fries' to attract me.

'Prodigy' also did nothing for me. I didn't watch any of it beyond its first couple of episodes.

'Picard' was kind of 'meh.' I can take it or leave it. I've seen all of it, but not much for repeat viewings of those.

I have something approaching an encyclopedic knowledge of the Original Series, and more than a passing familiarity with TAS, TNG, and DS9. I have seen all of these episodes.

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2024 11:02 PM

TOS and TNG mostly. I watched DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise, but I don't remember a large number of those episodes, especially in later seasons. I don't have Paramount+, so I never watched Discovery. I saw some episodes of SNW when it was on Pluto briefly, which I liked, but probably mostly because of Anson Mount and Ethan Peck.

I've seen all the movies, except Star Trek V ("Shatner's Folly") and TNG's Insurrection. In the Kelvin universe, I skipped the second one because it was just a remake of Wrath of Khan with the very white Benedict Cumberbatch playing South Asian Khan. The first and third weren't terrible.

These days, I really enjoy a bunch of YouTube channels that review and skewer (lovingly) Star Trek.

Reverse Angle covers all seven seasons of TNG, but leans pretty heavily on humor.

SF Debris covers all Treks. His reviews are serious, but he savages Janeway hilariously.

Steve Shives reviews all the Treks and does some really political videos too.

StamFine reviews a lot of TV and movies and has covered the Trek films. He did a three-part overview of TOS that was very good.

There's also the YouTube channel Trek Culture, but I only like the episodes the Irish guy does, because you can tell he's a real Trekkie.

If you like podcasts, I recommend Damnit Jim: The Podcast: two guys review TOS both seriously and humorously.

I'm currently getting my Trek fix from Pluto TV.

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2024 1:02 AM

TOS and TNG and all the movies including the three new ones (of which the first was the best of all). I’ve seen a few DS9 and more of Voyager but they bored me. None of the more recent shows although I was tempted to watch Picard and I’ll get around to it some day.

When I was younger, I liked both Star Trek and Star Wars equally but after Episode One came out, I realized that I didn’t really care about the Star Wars characters anymore. Star Trek VI end credits used the stars’ signatures, it was the final film with the original crew, 25 years! and I’d grown up—and old—with them.

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2024 2:43 AM

[quote] If you voted for this option, I will have you EJECTED into SPACE!!

What gives you that authority?

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2024 6:35 AM

Kirk 1966-1969 in skin tight yoga pants

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2024 8:12 AM

[quote]OP: I’m Trekkie number 1. I love all Trek.

[quote]OP/R5: There is an unfortunate musical episode of Strange New Worlds.

Well, you don't quite love 𝑎𝑙𝑙 Trek, now do you?

How do you feel about Brent Spiner? Sonequa Martin-Green? Michelle Yeoh?

by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2024 1:02 PM

I grew up with TOS reruns, so I'll always have a special affection for them. TNG is my favorite of all the series. I watched a lot of DS9 but couldn't come to love it. I understand why other people love it, but what others thought of as improvements to the formula were drawbacks for me. Voyager is the oddball of the family. When it was good, it was often great; but when it was bad, it was putrid. Janeway and Picard are my favorite captains.

I saw the first of the reboot films and passed on the rest of the series. Before the first one was released, I read an article quoting J.J. Abrams saying he was never a Star Trek fan. And to me, the movie felt like it was made by someone who didn't like Star Trek. But I thought the actors did a good job reprising the classic roles.

I've been meaning to get into the newer series for years, but my head has a finite capacity for media these days. I watched the first season of Picard and liked it, though it was a bit ponderous. Brave New World looks especially interesting to me, but I want to watch Discovery first. Kind DL Trekkies told me on an earlier thread I could watch Brave New World without seeing Discovery but it would bug me that I was missing references and not getting the significance of events.

I've lost count of how many times I've seen "Trekkies." One of my all time favorite documentaries.

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2024 2:12 PM

Article in Variety today...

[quote]With the TV movie "Section 31," the YA series "Starfleet Academy," and two features in development, how "Star Trek" hopes to (boldly) go into its future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2024 7:16 PM

r17 Does anyone know who that lady in the bottom left corner is – Marina or Gates? Also, who's the guy coming out of Nimoy's head, with the VOY-era uniform? It's not Q, is it?

Notable omissions: Troi, Beverly, Chakotay, Saru, half of DS9, T'Pol. Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2024 7:29 PM

I'm very much a geek, but it has nothing to do with Star Trek, Star Wars, or comic books. That said, I do like the original series, though only out of an interest in what went into making it.

by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2024 7:49 PM

Age 10 in 1966 and never stopped watching ALL TREK. Wrote letters back in 69 to keep it on the air. Have William Shatner's autograph from watching him at a Horse show. Talking to him about Horses and not Trek. Very nice and personable. I think he was happy I DIDN'T bring up Trek.

Also have Leonard Nimoy's autograph from his play Vincent. At the after party. Very very hot and sexy in person. He was probably drunk and was still very cool and pleasant. Years later went to a book signing of his book of photography. Shekhina. We talked about Kabbalah. He was marvelous. I told him "I Grok Spock". Lol

Have a LOT of memorabilia from TOS. Posters, Lunch box I used etc. Toys.

My favorite Trek is Voyager. And I love the character of Captain Janeway. Brava.

Yeah I'm a total NERD!!! Star Trek, Star Wars, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror, History, Poetry, Etc. And yeah I have quite a collection(a special room for it all). And I made a lot of money in my career so have some real goodies.

LLAP

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2024 8:47 PM

[quote]My favorite Trek is Voyager. And I love the character of Captain Janeway. Brava.

Yes, mine as well! She basically raised me when my mom would plop me in front of the telly so she could get rid of me and drink in peace. Oh, how I'm gonna cry when Kate goes.

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2024 8:50 PM

In 2016, I found a script from "City on the Edge of Forever" (The Joan Collins 1930s episode) from a Palm Springs thrift store. Sold it for $1600 on eBay.

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2024 9:05 PM

R18, woman in front of Picard. She looks like an actress I’ve seen on tv but can’t remember her name. It doesn’t look like Troi or Crusher. The guy —to the left of Nimoy’s head is Chief O Brien? Funny, some faces are spot on and some are not. Also Q is a big miss.

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2024 10:06 PM

R10 watch only the last 2 episodes of Voyager. Well worth it.

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2024 11:42 PM

[quote]R18: Does anyone know who that lady in the bottom left corner is – Marina or Gates?

Neither. That's Donna Murphy from 'Star Trek: Insurrection' (1998) as Anji.

I'm not sure she warrants a pic, considering some of the other omissions, but there it is.

by Anonymousreply 25March 28, 2024 4:44 AM

#iStandWithGenevièveBujold

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2024 5:42 AM

I can't believe Bujold is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 27March 28, 2024 5:44 AM

I think she’s 86 (?)

by Anonymousreply 28March 28, 2024 5:47 AM

She's 81!

by Anonymousreply 29March 28, 2024 5:48 AM

For me it's mostly TNG and DS9, probably because it's what I grew up with.

I like TOS, but man is it slow by today's standards.

Voyager and Enterprise were still okay.

Can't watch NuTrek, everything I've seen of it was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 30March 28, 2024 5:57 AM

I’d never seen Genevieve before. I’m not sure how that would have wired out.

I enjoy all Trek except k never got into Enterprise. I would like to see Legacy but suspect we never will.

by Anonymousreply 31March 28, 2024 6:16 AM

Gift article.

I was reminded of r20, reading this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 2, 2024 11:58 AM

I especially love the episodes that featured Bigfoot / Chewbacca, and that gold robot.

by Anonymousreply 33April 2, 2024 12:10 PM

I must be the only one that like Voyager. yes it had dumb episodes, but they all do. I still shudder thinking about that DS9 episode “move Along Home”.

if you have Paramount, I thought Lower Decks was good.

by Anonymousreply 34April 2, 2024 12:17 PM

[quote]I must be the only one that liked Voyager.

r34 You're not, there are three of us here!

by Anonymousreply 35April 2, 2024 12:26 PM

[quote]R34: I still shudder thinking about that DS9 episode “move Along Home”.

I still laugh thinking about it. It was only the tenth episode of the then-new series, and 'Move Along Home' helped me warm up to it. It was fun.

by Anonymousreply 36April 2, 2024 2:49 PM

I liked Voyager too and just finished watching it from start to finish. I'm looking forward to Discovery.

by Anonymousreply 37April 2, 2024 9:48 PM

Make that 4 for Voyager.

by Anonymousreply 38April 2, 2024 10:11 PM

[quote] I skipped the second one because it was just a remake of Wrath of Khan with the very white Benedict Cumberbatch playing South Asian Khan.

Ricardo Montalban wasn't South Asian either. He was Mexican of total Spanish heritage. Hence, white and Caucasian.

by Anonymousreply 39April 2, 2024 10:55 PM

I'm also a Voyager fan, esp. after Seven Of Nine joined. Yes they had some episodes that were quite frankly absolute shit but as the above poster said when they were good they were excellent.

I love Kate Mulgrew as Janeway, my favorite captain.

by Anonymousreply 40April 2, 2024 11:00 PM

I love TOS, the movies too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 2, 2024 11:13 PM

When we'd play Star Trek (we were kids) my friends always made me be Bones, which apparently still offends me because I think of it every time I see DeForest Kelley on an old show. I never got to be Kirk because my dad didn't own the cool leather office chair, and I couldn't be Spock because I wasn't smart enough.

by Anonymousreply 42April 2, 2024 11:54 PM

^^^Really, doctor, you must learn to govern your passions. They will be your undoing.

by Anonymousreply 43April 3, 2024 1:08 AM

The original is my favorite but I think Voyager holds up the best. Those special effects would still hold up. My all time favorite episode is from Enterprise. The velcro episode.

by Anonymousreply 44April 3, 2024 3:21 AM

The velcro episode of Enterprise is called "Carbon Creek" and it was excellent, one of the best episodes in all of Star Trek. T'Pol told Archer and Trip a story about how her great grandmother and two other Vulcans crash landed on Earth (in Oregon, I believe) in the 1950s and spent several months blending into the local human population while they built an emergency transmitter to contact a Vulcan ship to come and rescue them. The whole episode was so well done.

by Anonymousreply 45April 3, 2024 3:29 AM

West Virginia. Though Enterprise is not my favorite I believe that T'Pol may be my favorite character. Jolene Blalock was mesmerizing to watch AND listen too.

by Anonymousreply 46April 3, 2024 3:31 AM

Jolene Blalock was fabulous. She married the CEO of Live Nation either right before or right after Enterprise ended and basically retired. CHA-CHING baby! 💰💰💰

They're still together.

by Anonymousreply 47April 3, 2024 3:34 AM

Marriage and three kids. God speed Jolene.

by Anonymousreply 48April 3, 2024 3:38 AM

[quote]Editors’ Note, April 2, 2024: After publication, The Times learned that Troy and Andrew Nelson were named in a civil lawsuit filed in Pierce County Superior Court in 1998, in which they were accused of molesting three disabled adults in a state-licensed facility that they operated. After a six-week jury trial, Washington State was ordered to pay $17.8 million to the plaintiffs. The state said it intended to appeal but missed the deadline and paid the victims. The Nelson brothers denied the allegations and were never criminally charged.

r32 Fucking yikes. Giving Trekkies a bad name. At least those families ended up being millionaires.

by Anonymousreply 49April 3, 2024 4:09 AM

Isn't it crazy that VOY has aged better than ENT? They were way too eager with those shitty CG effects; too much, too soon. It's only now in the Discovery and SNW era that they can afford to go all out and it'll nearly always look amazing. Although nuTrek now has a new problem of over-reliance on The Volume.

by Anonymousreply 50April 3, 2024 4:17 AM

Is this a yuppie with a Trek bike?

by Anonymousreply 51April 3, 2024 4:18 AM

The intro to Voyager is still top of the line effects for tv. I was thrilled when I saw that intor for the first time and the show lived up to the intro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 3, 2024 4:21 AM

The score, the visuals, the sleek evergreen ship design... everything came together in Voyager's intro and it remains the one to beat, to this day.

SNW's intro should in theory look the most "advanced", but there's something off about it to me – it looks very crisp, but also plastic-y in a way? I saw a 4K rendering of Voyager's intro once and I had the same problem with it. I think the extreme polish takes away some of the allure.

by Anonymousreply 53April 3, 2024 4:50 AM

[quote]Also, who's the guy coming out of Nimoy's head, with the VOY-era uniform? It's not Q, is it?

Miles O'Brien

by Anonymousreply 54April 3, 2024 5:14 AM

Voyager has some of the best episodes ever. They are also responsible for the two worst episodes ever. The dinosaurs who escaped from Earth and live on a space ship and the Katherine/Q historical romance episode set in the American Civil War. I loved Kes and also wished they hadn't gotten rid of her. I got over it though because they wrote her departure and brief return amazingly.

by Anonymousreply 55April 3, 2024 4:53 PM

I loved the dinosaur episode. Yes, the underlying conceit of a certain dinosaur species leaving Earth behind with no trace was terrible, but a scientific idea running afoul of their Doctrine was a great spin on the medieval Church versus early modern science conflict here on Earth. It just captured what's wrong with deniers of evolution so perfectly, that's Star Trek at its best in my view.

The Holodeck episodes were beyond tedious when I was a kid, but I've come to treasure them more and more as I've gotten older. Obviously many of them were done to save costs, just like time travel episodes to eras well known to us.

by Anonymousreply 56April 3, 2024 5:06 PM

The Holodeck was always being used for having adventures with Sherlock Holmes, sailing on a ship in the ocean, painting with Da Vinci, etc.

I mean come on, we all know what the Holodeck would really be used for 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 57April 3, 2024 5:21 PM

Da Vinci's workshop was legit awesome, I spent so much time just scanning it for all the contraptions and sketches on display as a kid. And when he was transported out into the real world and interpreted everything through the lens of an Italian Renaissance-era person, that was just delightful. "Catarina! We're flying!"

by Anonymousreply 58April 3, 2024 5:27 PM

I know I'm in the minority, but I loathed the Dixon Hill and Sherlock Holmes holodeck episodes.

So hammy.

by Anonymousreply 59April 3, 2024 5:31 PM

r59 it was so Stewart and Spiner could show off their "acting chops."

by Anonymousreply 60April 3, 2024 5:36 PM

"Catarina! We're flying!"

YES! 10,000 W/W

I think my favorite two Voyager episodes were: The medical experiment one. Only 7 could see them. "move and I'll kill her." "I believe you".

Then when they sit up with the Dr. who is dealing with becoming a sentient being.

“In that book which is my memory, On the first page of the chapter that is the day when I first met you, Appear the words, ‘Here begins a new life’.”

by Anonymousreply 61April 3, 2024 5:38 PM

[quote]I mean come on, we all know what the Holodeck would really be used for 24/7.

A fact not acknowledged until Lower Decks showed that cleaning out the holodeck biofilters was the worst job an ensign could be assigned.

by Anonymousreply 62April 3, 2024 5:45 PM

I still love DS9 and the ambition of that show.

by Anonymousreply 63April 3, 2024 11:30 PM

I’ve had this damn song in my head the last two days. My younger brother was a huge Trekkie when it came out and I used to antagonize him by playing it loud and singing along to it. He took the Trek world very seriously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 3, 2024 11:44 PM

This thread got me thinking about some of the best episodes of Voyager today. Sorry, I'll have to start them all with "the one when....."

they find a replica of Starfleet Academy.

a beacon transmits memories of war as a war memorial.

the Dr. becomes a singing star on a far advanced planet that didn't know music.

the copy of Voyager from the primordial planet.

the time travel episode with Ed Begley JR.

all the Borg interactions...

just a lot of them...

by Anonymousreply 65April 3, 2024 11:50 PM

The two-parter Voyager where they come across another Starfleet crew who had been stranded in the Delta Quadrant and were secretly exploiting and killing an alien race to travel back to the Alpha Quadrant at a very fast rate of speed. Forget the title of that one, but it was one of their best. Excellent story and acting.

by Anonymousreply 66April 4, 2024 12:30 AM

I only watched TNG. I want to read Patrick Stewart's new biography! It sounds great!

by Anonymousreply 67April 4, 2024 12:35 AM

The main reason I stopped watching Voyager was the Neelix character. He was too creepy.

by Anonymousreply 68April 4, 2024 10:49 AM

r66 I startedTtrek with Voyager and that episode was basically the first time I realised men could be Starfleet captains too, and it took me some time to process that information. I was such a dumb aspie gay child, looking back. Still am, to an extent.

by Anonymousreply 69April 4, 2024 10:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!