Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Maryland's Key Bridge collapses after being struck by a container ship

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 30, 2024 2:56 AM

Luckily AM not PM

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2024 7:16 AM

Ha! Imagine that captain’s face seconds before impact.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2024 7:17 AM

Holy fuck. That's terrifying and the casualties are going to be awfulmn

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2024 7:27 AM

Unforgivable accident

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2024 7:36 AM

This is a live stream of the Port of Baltimore. If you toggle back to about 1:23 AM, you'll see the ship floating into the left side of the frame. It was clearly having some kind of problem, because all the power went out twice before it struck the bridge at 1:28 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2024 7:49 AM

Terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2024 7:59 AM

That's scary as hell and I can't believe it still happens in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2024 8:00 AM

Shocking, cars, trucks, buses in the water. What a sad shit show. Feel for family and friends of the victims.

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2024 8:01 AM

Some of those trucks narrowly escaped ruin. It did seem fortunate that few vehicles appeared to have been crossing the bridge at the moment of impact. I feel for the construction/road-work workers though.

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2024 8:05 AM

Were there Mothman sightings in the days leading up to this?

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2024 8:11 AM

Why is that I get a breaking news alert from Microsoft every time Trump scratches his balls or someone says something scandalous on Twitter, but this I hear about from DL? Ridiculous.

Besides the potential horrific casualties, this is going to screw up Baltimore travel and commerce for years to come. I hope Mink Stole is okay.

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2024 8:31 AM

I don’t think there were many, if any cars on the bridge when it broke apart. Gave word to close it when they hit.

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2024 8:38 AM

Container ships are evil. Like Boeing.

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2024 8:40 AM

I blame Divine.

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2024 8:42 AM

Dont go a-changin Baltimore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2024 8:46 AM

This is why you don't put a hillbilly from South Bend in charge of transportation.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2024 9:08 AM

What exactly could Pete or any Transportation Secretary done to have prevented this, R16?

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2024 9:21 AM

It had a hot arch, but it couldn't suspend forever.

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2024 9:27 AM

You’re an idiot, R16.

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2024 9:37 AM

Damn...watch it collapse!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2024 9:42 AM

The Francis Scott Key Bridge is an insatiable bottom.

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2024 12:47 PM

The only blessing is that this was 1 am, with not a huge number of cars on the bridge vs what it might have been during the day.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2024 12:49 PM

[quote] This is why you don't put a hillbilly from South Bend in charge of transportation.

🙄🙄🙄 Congrats, R16! Among the many stupid things posted on DL over the last 29 years, this has to be one of the most idiotic. A container ship crashed into the bridge support causing the bridge to collapse. How exactly is this tragedy Pete’s fault? Was he steering the ship? Did Pete overlook something when he was personally inspecting every bridge in the U.S.?

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2024 1:41 PM

R23 Pete was flexing his muscles at the Singaporean twinks driving the ship, of course.

Or was he presenting hole?

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2024 2:01 PM

Diddy did it. Bet.

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2024 2:17 PM

FF R16 for complete stupidity

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2024 2:23 PM

I need to watch The Wire again

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2024 2:36 PM

This reminds me of the bridge collapse in south Padre Island years ago. A barge struck the bridge from the island to Matamoras, Mexico. Cars plunged into the water. This one was so early perhaps not many people were on it.

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2024 2:53 PM

We already have supply chain issues. This is only making matters worse. This is such a strange accident.

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2024 3:29 PM

Ship Lost Power Before Hitting Key Bridge in Baltimore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 26, 2024 8:14 PM

Baah-din did it!

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2024 8:28 PM

Your only post, r16?

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2024 8:34 PM

R16 Hillbilly? He was the smartest and thinnest one there.

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2024 8:43 PM

The ship was able to put out a Mayday before it hit so they were able to stop almost all of the traffic. There were just a few unlucky ones that were stuck. (They must have worked really quickly in order to stop traffic that fast)

by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2024 8:54 PM

Fall Down, Go Boom!

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2024 8:58 PM

Baltimore bridge collapse, port closure sends companies scrambling to reroute cargo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2024 9:57 PM

Six workers at collapse presumed dead, construction exec says

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2024 10:48 PM

There was construction being performed overnight and several workers were killed in the accident

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2024 10:55 PM

Yes, there's maritime schools for cargo ship captains. There is one near me that's part of TX A&M in Galveston.

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2024 11:21 PM

Why didn’t the construction workers leave the bridge? I thought there was a mayday minutes in advance?

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2024 11:25 PM

R40: I'm guessing that they didn't get the message? I've been watching the Baltimore NBC affiliate online today. (I find local news broadcasts more informative during disasters).

They interviewed an employee of the road construction company, who was not on last night's crew, but had rushed to the scene because he was friends with all the guys who were & he'd worked that shift on the bridge before. He said it was a 9pm - 5am shift, so the crew would have been on their regular 30 minute "lunch" break when the ship struck (or issued the mayday call). They would have been sitting inside the company trucks having something to eat, or just resting.

I would imagine that even if one of them had glanced out their truck window & noticed the ship, they might not have been able to tell it was off-course from their vantage point. But it does make you wonder. Didn't anyone have the crew foreman's cell phone number?? Or some type of radio contact? I mean, Highway Patrol (or whatever its called in Maryland) must have been in some type of contact with them....because there were lane closures on the bridge for the pothole repair, which were to be reopened for morning commute.

by Anonymousreply 41March 27, 2024 12:57 AM

R41 an alarm should have been at the bridge and gone off.

by Anonymousreply 42March 27, 2024 1:07 AM

Could they have made it off the bridge in 2-3 minutes, running to a vehicle and then speeding off? Maybe they were fleeing. Its an incredibly long bridge.

by Anonymousreply 43March 27, 2024 1:15 AM

[bold] Baltimore is about to learn Buttigieg isn't great at disasters[/bold]....LINK......Sadly Maryland probably won't see Pete again. Just like the Ohio train disaster when Pete promised he would return and hasn't been seen since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 27, 2024 1:16 AM

Even USA Today has mopped up Pete. The way Biden and Pete handled the East Palestine mess turned Ohio redder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 27, 2024 1:37 AM

R43: In video of the collapse, the company's trucks were parked/stationary the entire time. If they were fleeing right before impact, they were doing so on foot.

by Anonymousreply 46March 27, 2024 1:39 AM

[quote] Why didn’t the construction workers leave the bridge?

A Maryland State Trooper said that immediately after they were able to stop traffic he was about to drive out to the workers, and that was when the bridge collapsed. Now why someone didn’t call the workers, who knows. It might not have mattered because everything happened so quickly. They might not have had enough time to start their cars and drive off this very long bridge. But they might have, if someone could have contacted them quickly enough.

by Anonymousreply 47March 27, 2024 2:34 AM

When you look at the size of the ship relative to what’s left of the bridge you can see that the bridge didn’t stand a chance against that behemoth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 27, 2024 1:34 PM

Expert says Baltimore bridge collapse will have painful impact on supply chain

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 28, 2024 12:20 AM

Hazmat trucks severely impacted by bridge collapse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 28, 2024 12:24 AM

NTSB to brief public on Baltimore bridge collapse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 28, 2024 12:46 AM

I watched the end of the NTSB news conference.

The ship has power but can't be moved.

The ship carried hazardous materials including lithium-ion batteries.

Another YouTube video reported the remains of two additional victims have been recovered.

by Anonymousreply 52March 28, 2024 2:24 AM

>>Brawner Builders' owner Jack Murphy stated on the company's website.

"Highway workers are engaged in one of the most dangerous occupations in the United States and yet they go out every day on our highways to make things better for everyone," he said.

He added the company had taken "every step necessary" to ensure the workers' safety.

"Unfortunately, this tragic event was completely unforeseen and was not something that we could imagine would happen," he said.

BUT:

>>The question came just seconds before a cargo ship slammed into a bridge in the US city of Baltimore in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

"Is there a crew at work on the bridge right now?"

"Just want to make sure no one's on the bridge right now," dispatchers could be heard saying over their radios.

There was a crew on the bridge – eight men, working the night shift in Baltimore's freezing temperatures, repairing potholes on a bridge used by tens of thousands every day.

"I'm not sure whether there's a crew up there," another voice over the radio said.

OKAY, it happened too quickly to warn the workers, but the despatch crew not being sure if there was even a crew working up there was a big fail on behalf of at least one party.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 28, 2024 10:37 AM

The dead bridge workers were Latino immigrants who have been sending money home for years to their families in poverty back home. Univisión has detailed each man. I don't wanna be the immigration troll, but they were working nights doing work nobody else wants for us and now who will care for their families? Maybe nobody was around to tell them in Spanish to save themselves? I had to say a prayer when I saw their weeping mamas.

by Anonymousreply 54March 28, 2024 1:09 PM

[quote]they were working nights doing work nobody else wants for us

How do you know “nobody else wants?”

And the families will have to cope just like any other family who loses a loved one or breadwinner. Don’t make them out to be some heroes who sacrificed their lives for the USA. You make them sound like they have no agency.

by Anonymousreply 55March 28, 2024 5:03 PM

They fell off a fucking bridge into the water. Wtf are you on about agency for? You think they choose that death? You fucking bigot. They sacrificed for their families and I respect that just like I do any good man.

by Anonymousreply 56March 28, 2024 5:16 PM

Exactly my point—ANY good man regardless of race, class, color would have been a sacrifice for their family. The poster I was responding to was making a point that it’s sadder for them just because they’re immigrants. They are no different than anyone else trying to make a living.

It would be tragic for any person to die on the job and I never said they deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 57March 28, 2024 9:19 PM

Four people remain"missing"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 30, 2024 2:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!