Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Star Wars - The Acolyte

I can tell this is going to suck already

Ford, Fisher and Hamill were lighting in a bottle. Everything else is a pale imitation.

And this looks DREADFUL

Who gives a shit about the Old Republic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2024 9:09 PM

[quote] Who gives a shit about the Old Republic?

I do.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2024 5:48 AM

[quote]And this looks DREADFUL

Well, it's centered around a black female character, so already all the MRAs/incels/4channers/white supremacists are already gearing to weep tears of blood from their anuses.

Nobody is forcing you to watch it, you know. But in all probability, relentlessly attacking it online, using as many socks as you can muster, will doubtless be your obsession for the foreseeable future.

[quote]Who gives a shit about the Old Republic?

It has always fascinated me. I've always wanted Star Wars to delve 'longer ago, and farther away.'

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2024 6:54 AM

I hate how the child at the very start of the trailer closes his eyes a second before the man tells them to do so, unlike the CG character who is on time. It's a small thing, but it immediately makes me doubt the show's quality. And I don't blame the kiddie actor either, this was the editor's fault as it could have been easily fixed in post.

As for the rest, I don't know. I agree with Reddit posters who said the "this isn't abot good or bad" line made them wince. The whole thing just seems a bit mid. And of course Trinity will get killed off immediately.

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2024 12:14 PM

[quote]Who gives a shit about the Old Republic?

The High Republic (so, like, 200 years before the original trilogy) has been getting a big multimedia push over the past few years. There have been a ton of books, comics, some audio dramas, an animated series, and even a video game that's being developed.

It's more interesting than the nth take on the Skywalker family.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2024 12:48 PM

Yeah, they're finally listening to the fans who've been telling them we need to move the fuck on from the Skywalker family already.

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2024 12:53 PM

I loved the original trilogy. I wish they’d stopped there. Everything I’ve seen since, while varying from quite good to quite crap, is totally unnecessary. I just don’t care anymore, it’s like flogging a dead horse. This franchise has absolutely nothing to say. It’s the epitome of style over substance. Just let it die, already.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2024 1:29 PM

Trailer looks good to me.

As far as I can tell incels are hating because it stars a lot of women and minorities? Oh no, the horror.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2024 1:38 PM

brand familiarity is the only thing that keeps this Star Wars crap going.

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2024 1:50 PM

[quote] As far as I can tell incels are hating because it stars a lot of women and minorities?

That’s always the immediate accusation. There may certainly be elements of that in the fandom, I’m not denying it. But it’s also often used as a blanket defence—as happened with “Rings of Power”. No, I didn’t hate ROP because of black dwarves and girlboss Galadriel. I just hated it because it was shit.

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2024 3:47 PM

OMG GIRL POWER! Yes!!!

Jk, this looks really lame.

The only good Disney Star Wars output has been Rogue One and the first season of the Mandalorian.

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2024 3:51 PM

It looks like every Disney Star Wars project. I just can't muster any enthusiasm for it after the sequel trilogy was such a mess.

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2024 4:05 PM

[quote]I loved the original trilogy. I wish they’d stopped there. Everything I’ve seen since, while varying from quite good to quite crap, is totally unnecessary.

Rogue One was fantastic. It really had the spirit of the original trilogy. Vader's killing spree alone was worth the price of admission. All of the other films after the original trilogy were total shit, although Revenge Of the Sith did have a few good moments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2024 6:04 PM

I didn’t enjoy Rogue One much because it was so depressing and grim; the ending was inevitable but no less a downer.

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2024 6:25 PM

R10 Did you watch "Andor"? Because it was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2024 6:30 PM

I'll watch it because I love anything Star Wars, but Disney keep continually churning out more SW content to the point that they don't seem to be putting much effort in.

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2024 6:36 PM

r14 sorry I was just talking about the movies, not the tv shows. Andor was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2024 6:37 PM

R12 That was a great scene, though it was a bit silly because he never did anything nearly as powerful in episodes 4 to 6.

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2024 6:39 PM

There needs to be a reset button on Star Wars. As far as I am concerned the original trilogy is a masterpiece. Everything else has been a mess or majorly problematic. While I hated the prequels, I almost can appreciate slivers of them now compared to the absolute shit storm that came out of Disney. And while some of the TV shows Disney has done have small parts of them that work okay, as a while they just seem awful.

Until someone can focus on writing characters and stories that actually work and interest people, and lose everything else that gets in the way of it, it will continue to produce failure. Amazingly they haven't figured this out yet and continually double-down on how they are doing things with the franchise.

And call me a Klan Granny if you want, but there is a "woke" emphasis to most of everything for Star Wars that has come out of Disney. It's unnecessary. Tell a good story and give me good characters. It's a fucking fantasy series taking place in space, with millions of different alien races. The heavy-handed social statements in what they produce these days is very, very tiresome and a major turnoff.

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2024 6:40 PM

What heavy handed "woke" social statements have there been in Star Wars r18?

I honestly can't think of anything. I don't watch everything, but Ahsoka had a female lead, but her gender wasn't some important part of the story. Same with Rey.

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2024 6:53 PM

The thing about the original trilogy is that Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher were lighting in a bottle. They were absolutely perfect as their respective characters, had charisma for miles and you really cared about what happened to them.

Everybody who has come after hasn't had anywhere near the electricity or chemistry that those three had.

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2024 6:56 PM

It's more about the presentation and storytelling. Maybe woke is the wrong word. It's more heavy-handed kind of moralizing, perhaps. The Laura Dern character in the second sequel movie is probably the worst of it. There's an "agenda" underneath some characters, beyond just driving the story. The original Star Wars was about good vs. evil, and other aspects of the characters--their conflicts and interactions--happened more naturally and without unnecessary emphasis.

I saw an episode of the Mandelorian featuring Lizzo in the past year or so and, my lord, if that's where Star Wars is at today I don't want to see anything further. Bad acting, bad writing, cheap looking sets. The tone is just completely off.

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2024 7:06 PM

The original Star Wars was about people fighting for democracy against a fascist dictatorship.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2024 7:09 PM

[quote]The original Star Wars was about people fighting for democracy against a fascist dictatorship.

That may be why I responded to strongly to Andor. It was the first time in a long time where Star Wars told a story where they were fighting fascism, not merchandising it.

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2024 7:34 PM

The Sequel trilogy was godawful. The Prequel trilogy was tolerable (barely) but the Sequel trilogy was a huge waste of time and money (not talent because there was none). Roque 1 was great and the Han Solo movie was actually pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2024 7:46 PM

I just think if you go to the well too many times it’s gonna dry up. I know there are plenty fans desperate for any new content but if you were to erase all of it beyond the original trilogy I don’t think that world would have lost much of value.

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2024 7:53 PM

I agree Andor was great r23, but ultimately it's the same story.

Does Star Wars have real "juice" outside of rebels fighting against a fascist empire? Right now that remains to be seen, but you can only go back to the same well so many times.

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2024 8:07 PM

[quote]Does Star Wars have real "juice" outside of rebels fighting against a fascist empire? Right now that remains to be seen, but you can only go back to the same well so many times.

I mean, the High Republic stuff is that. It's set during the peak of civilization for the Old Republic. I haven't engaged with much of it, but I'm interested in the Acolyte because it is different.

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2024 8:32 PM

I hated Andor. Fell asleep during the first episode and had to go back and watch it again. The final 2 or 3 episodes were ok. But that show was not Star Wars. It was dreary and the music sucked and the costumes looked like something from a Sid and Marty Kroft show.

I'm in interested in the High Republic stuff so the Acolyte looks fairly interesting. I've enjoyed a lot of the Star Wars content over the years, especially the animated stuff like Clone Wars and Rebels. I thought Ashoka was great as she's my favorite character. They really developed her over the years in the Clone Wars and Rebels so it was nice to see her having her own show. The Mandalorian is fun which is what Star Wars is supposed to be. The Bad Batch was horrible at first but found its footing.

I'm a huge Star Wars nerd so I will check out The Acolyte but we shall see. I think it will be fun.

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2024 8:58 PM

The trailer doesn’t look so bad to me, but I’ve lost interest in Star Wars. I also thought Andor was a snore.

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2024 9:00 PM

Can they at least put some hot guys in these things if the stories are shit? Good lord. Back in the day they had Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams at peak fineness. Mark Hamill was the pretty twink. Even Hayden Christensen was pleasant to look at. Now its just blah

by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2024 1:15 AM

Hayden was pleasant to look at, but the lines they gave him...."I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."

by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2024 1:11 PM

Hayden gave more monotonous, grumpy brat than semi-Darth Vader, but it was really the material that was to blame. I don’t like the revisionism whereby fans are suddenly claiming the prequels were great films. They were such a chore to get through.

by Anonymousreply 32March 27, 2024 8:20 PM

The prequels were badly cast starting with boy Anakin, now psychotic. Not in a good way psychotic like Darth Vader.

by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2024 9:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!