Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sondheim's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC *briefly* revived at Lincoln Center

No, not a revival, but a concert production. Kind of hilarious to me that Susan Graham is playing the lead role and yet she's not mentioned in some headlines, like this one. And Cynthia Erivo fans may be disappointed to attend and find out she basically has one song.

Kind of underwhelming casting overall. Is this some vanity project from the producer? It's not Lincoln Center, the Phil, or Lincoln Center Theatre themselves producing -- they're just renting out the venue, essentially. Cool to see Tunick involved, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2024 3:32 AM

Official site

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2024 4:00 AM

Is that an old picture of Ron Raines?

Or has he made some kind of pact with the devil? He looks pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2024 4:14 AM

Sadly, "new" orchestrations really means Tunick is once again creating reduced orchestrations because no one wants to pay for the musicians to play the original ones. Years ago he was quoted as saying that he is spending the second half of his career shrinking down everything he did in the first half of his career. Tragic, really -the man is fucking brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2024 4:31 AM

[quote] And Cynthia Erivo fans

She has fans?

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2024 4:37 AM

R3 - Nope. He's actually creating bigger orchestrations for the 53-piece Orchestra of St. Luke's. I share your sentiment on the ever-shrinking orchestras, but this one is a positive!

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2024 5:31 AM

Ron Raines is 76 years old and looks and sounds like it. Shuler Hensley is nearly 60. What is this casting mess? I seriously doubt Erivo will make it to the stage. Why the hell would she bother doing Petra? She’s looking at an Oscar nomination next year. Bizarre. I bet she drops out.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2024 12:41 PM

R6 - it is weird, right? I don't know if this is 100% accurate, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the producer of this concert may represent many of the performers cast -- it's almost like a showcase for him?

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2024 3:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!