Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anyone who know claim to have seem a ghost/something supernatural? Do you believe them?

I have a relative who is usually very stoic and easy going. Rarely shows emotion, happy or sad, but is neutral most of the time.

However, he once told me about a ghostly encounter he had in his early twenties. He was riding his bike along an isolated stretch of countryside. It was a bright, sunny day and there was nobody else around, and no cars. As he continued down the road, he noticed a person in front of a billboard, hunched over like they were doing something in the grass. When this person saw my relative approaching, he stopped whatever he was doing in the grass, hide behind the billboard for a moment, then came back out and stuck his thumb out like he was trying to catch a drive.

My relative found this weird because he was on a bike, not a car, so it's not like he could offer the guy a drive. As my relative rode closer, he noticed how strange-looking the man near the billboard was. He said his neck was way too long, his face was small and the lower face was smooth with no mouth or jaw. The eyes were huge, and he was wearing a cap or beret. No nose, just nostril holes. He was really tall and had very long arms. My relative said the moment he saw this guy, he was overwhelmed with a surge of primal fear, like he was looking at an uncanny valley creation.

He rode away as fast as he could, and looked over his shoulder to see the guy staring at him in the distance, now with his arms behind his back. My relative got genuinely teary-eyed telling me this story, and looked very uneasy. I'm usually a skeptic, but whatever he saw must have been real to him.

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2024 1:18 PM

Damn it. I made a typo in the title. It's meant to read: Anyone you know claim to have seem a ghost/something supernatural? Do you believe them?

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2024 3:02 AM

No OP. I also don't believe in sky fairies.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2024 3:07 AM

I posted this elsewhere her but...

When I was starting out one of my first temp jobs was at a very elegant law firm housed in an enormous mansion in Westchester of which only the ground story was furnished and used. It was like working in an art museum - a huge library, paintings and statues everywhere - the head lawyer was a very refined eldergay who believed in the efficacy of the 3 PM martini and there were lots of handsome young guys and fabulous young ladies working there, so I was enjoying it.

Except for Miss White and Mr. Walker.

Miss White was the receptionist, or at least she looked like a receptionist; she was visible for a few seconds whenever you looked down a certain hall - a young woman in a white blouse sitting at a desk who vanished the minute you saw her. The first time I noticed her I just about jumped out of my skin, but when I asked around they just said "That's Miss White" and refused to speculate further. She looked like a black-and-white photograph of herself, unmoving, but faintly luminous.

Mr. Walker was more troubling. I only encountered him once, which was as much as I ever wanted to - he manifested himself as a series of dull thuds from the second floor traipsing the length of the upstairs hallway to the head of the staircase. I was staying to work on a late project with some of the junior partners. They heard it too and we all went completely silent. You wouldn't think something as simple as a noise could convey such a sense of malignity. When the footsteps - they sounded more as if someone was dropping a series of bricks - halted, the head of the project simply said "I think we can leave off here and pick this up in the morning" and we gathered our coats and left.

Turns out the eldergay was quite aware that the house had a reputation and had a few stories himself of encounters with various highly unpleasant things, including something evidently composed of shadows in the garden, but simply laughed them off. However, some years prior to my employment, some hotshot junior employee evidently decided once to have a word with Mr. Walker, got about halfway up the stairs, freaked out completely and took off, never to return.

From what I can tell the house is now a private home again. How the current inhabitants manage Miss White and Mr. Walker - let alone the other terrors - I'm sure I couldn't tell you.

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2024 3:08 AM

I haven’t seen anything, but I felt really reluctant when my mum tried to take a photo of us up the staircase of a ruined tower in Caerphilly Castle. I wanted to get out of there!

When the photo was developed, there was a streak of light in front of us. It could be coincidence or a camera malfunction, but it the photo I have scared eyes and my hand is in a “claw” position, I was so scared 🤷🏻

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2024 3:09 AM

I believe I've posted this story in another thread here, but when I was a teenager I saw the ghost of a woman in our family home. .. I was by myself alone, just sitting in front of the coffee table in the living room, sorta doing homework with the TV on. It was late at night, but I wasn't sleepy at all. I saw something in the adjoining dining room and looked over, and there she was, just kind of standing in the corner near the doorway that leads into the kitchen. She looked around 45 years old, white, dark hair, and dressed in clothing from the 1930s/40s. While I was surprised, she didn't frighten me all. In fact, if anything she seemed a little surprised that I saw her. She kind of just stood there for awhile then disappeared.

I didn't tell anyone about this experience until about 10 years later. My two older sisters and I had gotten together to go to dinner, and somehow the subject of ghosts came up, basically the same question being asked her. So I decided to finally tell both of them about my sighting in the family home. But before I could get anything out, my one sister started to tell her own story. Well, basically, she saw the exact same thing in our house that I did all on her own. The description of the woman was the same, the clothes were the same, she was in the same room, even near the same doorway. She even said the same thing, about not being frightened by this spirit, as there was this calmness about the whole experience.

Needless to say, we were totally astonished about this shared-not-shared experience. .. My other sister felt left out... lol.

We know that two sisters built the house in 1927 and lived there together. They both had something to do with the nascent Hollywood movie business. We're thinking if this ghost was connected to the house somehow, then it might be one of them. Only one other family lived in the house before my parents bought it. And we know what wife/mother looked like and it wasn't her. She was the only woman in the family.

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2024 4:08 AM

I used to judge people who had supernatural encounters but then I had some of my own which I was unable to replicate. Now I feel bad for doing that.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2024 10:20 PM

R4 here, R6… I was raised athiest, and still don’t understand, “scientifically”, how”ghosts” could possibly exist - and yet people have experienced whatever “ghosts” are, from time immemorial. In all cultures, all around the world, people experience “ghosts”, and always have done. There is [italic]something[/italic] happening, and I’d love to know what it is!!

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2024 8:32 AM

Not to derail this thread and turn it into a philosophical or theological debate, but ...

Some nights, I lie awake in bed and think about the fact that humans have been around for, say, 160,000 years. The Big Bang occurred 13.8 billion years ago. That means that we've been around -- as a species -- for .00115% of the duration of the universe's existence. The human brain, the tool that we use to apprehend the universe and our place within it, is very young.

Similarly, there are an estimated 2 billion to 2 trillion galaxies in the universe, each with an estimated average of 100 billion stars. Assuming each star has at least one planet, there are easily 200 billion trillion individual planets in the universe. And human beings have -- personally -- visited exactly 0 of those 200 billion trillion planets.

My point is, we really, truly, know nothing metaphysical about the universe and our role in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2024 8:53 AM

R4 here again! My sister’s boyfriend has a side-job doing flood remediation (this is in Victoria on Vancouver Island). There’s a pub in an old part of my city that I’d always heard was “haunted”; when I went there, I never noticed anything except the usual cat pee scent that a lot of old buildings here tend to have.

Rob (my sister’s boyfriend), though, met a ghost there. He was supposedly the only person in the building, doing his flood remediation thing, but encountered a solid-looking woman in 1920s dress at the top of the stairs. He confirmed with his coworkers that there was no one else in the building at the time.

Rob isn’t the sort of person who would make that sort of thing up, and is an atheist, as am I. I believe he saw whatever a “ghost” is. He saw it clear as day, and the both of us have talked about it, trying to work out what it might be. I reiterate that I’m an atheist, as is he, but ghosts are [italic]real[/italic]. What they actually [italic]are[/italic] is up for debate!

by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2024 9:18 AM

R8! Yes! I’m R4, R7, and R9. This subject fascinates me. What is “reality”? What is “time”? The laws of the universe (what even [italic]is[/italic] the univers and its “laws”?) Is so beyond our understanding. The human brain is a tool through which we filter/experience “reality” There is so much we don’t understand (i.e. the possibility of all time happening at once)

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2024 9:34 AM

Great minds r10

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2024 10:44 AM

I don't, but my psychic insists they are real.

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2024 10:47 AM

I could fill a book, and I've told many of my stories here on DL. It started when I was four years old when I woke up late one night and heard someone playing the piano downstairs. Everybody was asleep and in bed.

One of my favorites I've told here before. I was standing in the kitchen doorway facing the hallway leading from the bedroom area to the living room/kitchen area. Suddenly I heard a cat racing down the hallway toward me. I look up the hallway and here comes Dax, my young tuxedo cat. He is being pursued by something, and as he comes closer, I see it is a black cat. At that time we did not have a black cat. They race past me like Ichabod Crane being pursued by the headless horseman. As they reach the living room doorway, poor terrified Dax passes through, but his pursuer vanishes in the blink of an eye.

All that day and into the evening, Dax skulks around the house expecting to be ambushed by his ghostly pursuer.

That night, on his way to bed, my partner glances back down the hallway behind him and sees the black interloper sitting at the end of the hallway, looking toward him.

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2024 1:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!