Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Classic movies you have never seen and never will

The Godfather and sequels and every other gangster film ever

Apocalypse Now and every other Vietnam War film ever

Pretty much any film directed by Francis Ford Coppola

Every single Western ever

The Exorcist

West Side Story and pretty much any musical ever made other than The Wizard of Oz (which I love)

Don't know if he counts as classic but I will never watch anything by Lars Von Tryhard

Ditto Quentin Tarentino (saw Pulp Fiction and regret it to this day)

by Anonymousreply 188March 31, 2024 3:28 PM

Op you are a Mary.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2024 1:55 AM

Slapshot-with Paul Neuman

Rollerball-is that with James Caan?

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2024 1:59 AM

You're taste is shit OP.

I love all the oldies but I have never seen one Star Wars film...scifi/fantasy was never my thing

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2024 2:00 AM

R3, I love the Bergman, Renoir, the French New Wave, the Italian Neo-Realists and Continental cinema of the 70s in general; Japanese films, especially Kurosawa but also ghost stories and folk tale movies; Film Noir and classic thrillers and whodunits; surrealist cinema; obscure horror films (the more bizarre the better) and the whole gamut of American classics from All About Eve to Blue Velvet, so don't cry for me, Argentina.

Hate gangsters (pointless); westerns (cowboys suck); Vietnam (I get it, it was a bloodbath); and films that exist to make the audience feel like strangling the screenwriter.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2024 2:07 AM

I forgot- Brian Song-James Caan& Gayle Sayers?

Butterfield 8-I have been told I am a whore; I never saw the movie!!!

I LOVE Star Wars-Loathe Star Trek!!

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2024 2:07 AM

You couldn’t pay me to watch that Godfather shit.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2024 2:09 AM

So much bravery on this thread. Bold stands being taken. One is awestruck.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2024 2:11 AM

The Godfather and The Godfather Part II are masterpieces.

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2024 2:13 AM

Forrest Gump.

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2024 2:16 AM

Apocalypse Now is a masterpiece and I dont even like war movies, though technically AN isnt even that, really.

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2024 2:17 AM

R9, good call, although it's such a piece of festering shit I would never think of it as a classic.

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2024 2:20 AM

[quote]Apocalypse Now is a masterpiece and I dont even like war movies, though technically AN isnt even that, really.

Joseph Conrad did it better.

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2024 2:22 AM

R10, my hatred of Coppola is only surpassed by my hatred of Spielberg (whose shitty movies I have, alas, actually seen, until I was old enough to not have them inflicted on me by my parents).

Which reminds me:

I have never seen The Color Purple or any Spielberg film made after it.

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2024 2:22 AM

r11 I think over the last few years, it started losing "classic" status. But for a long time it considered one of the top modern classic films.

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2024 2:23 AM

Schindler'sh Lishp

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2024 2:24 AM

I love your comments, you make me HARD, OP. The Godfather trilogy is genius, again!

Godfather #3 has its problems, however the Atlantic City scene, the festival Zaza scene and the last 20 minutes of of the opera scene was High drama. Andy Garcia-Talia Shire was sheer perfection, the Sicilian ending was wonderful

Love u OP

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2024 2:24 AM

R12m, thank you - I think that gets to why I will never watch the movie - the novel is such a stunning accomplishment that to see it dragged through the American post-Vietnam guilt trip is obscene.

It's like setting The Great Gatsby in Australia (which that cunt Baz Lurhman evidently more or less did).

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2024 2:25 AM

Ben Hur and all the epic God movies around that time.

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2024 2:25 AM

The Magnificent Ambersons

Nosferatu

Easy Rider

Planet of the Apes

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2024 2:25 AM

R12 he directed a movie? Who knew.

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2024 2:27 AM

Viva Las Vegas!

From Here to Eternity

Greed (Von Stroheim)

The Seven Samurai

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2024 2:28 AM

The Magnificant Ambersons is a true masterpiece. More impressive than Citizen Kane in certain scenes.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2024 2:30 AM

Does it count that I've watched the Sofia Coppola death scene so often that it probably surpasses the actual run time of the entire trilogy?

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2024 2:30 AM

R22, it is flawed but completely fascinating and brilliantly shot and acted.

I'd also put in a word for The Seven Samurai, which I thought would be a ponderous bore and is both touching and screamingly funny at times. It turned me on to the rest of Japanese cinema.

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2024 2:32 AM

I just ignore Godfather 3 save for those last 2 or so minutes. I mentally tack those on to the end of TGP2 and leave it at that.

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2024 2:33 AM

Forrest Gump

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

r16, glad to know somebody else besides me saw some merit in the hated Godfather III. Vincent Corleone was still alive at the end. Seriously, I'm not ruling out a GF IV, maybe as a streaming series.

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2024 2:33 AM

Annie Hall

After viewing Citizen Kane, I avoid all Orson Welles movies.

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2024 2:37 AM

I saw Annie Hall a few years back with my mom and was so dissapointed (she was too). It had some cute moments but I didnt think it was deserving of so many accolades, and I love Woody Allen.

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2024 2:43 AM

What bothers me most about The Godfather 3 is how different Michael is...affable, warm, friendly....a far cry from the deadly intense stoic as a rock gangster from the 1st 2 films. It was like Pacino was playing a dumbed down version of him.

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2024 2:46 AM

I have to back up a bit and say that there are two films connected with Spielberg that I think are excellent...

The Raiders of the Lost Ark is a wonderful bit of not-quite nostalgia that packs a very dark and pessimistic punch.

The Goonies is pure horseradish from beginning to end. But I dare anyone to find an American film that so accurately portrays the way kids talk, think and act with one another. It's like The Little Rascals directed by Robert Altman. Wonderful score too.

by Anonymousreply 30March 26, 2024 2:48 AM

Totally had the same reaction, r29.

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2024 2:49 AM

Rocky and its endless sequels.

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2024 2:49 AM

+ 1 with r32.

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2024 2:50 AM

+2 with R32.

by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2024 2:51 AM

You sound like a jerk, OP.

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2024 2:52 AM

I am a jerk, R35.

What of it?

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2024 2:54 AM

OP, what possible purpose could there be for your post and this entire thread? Are you proud of your cultural ignorance, and do you expect the same from other people?

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2024 3:02 AM

R37, I am wondering if some people dislike certain genres to the point of skipping over them entirely (cowboys) or have had such vile experiences with the output of famous directors (Coppola, Tarentino) that their subsequent work is meaningless.

Does that clear things up for you?

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2024 3:10 AM

All of them.

Movies and TV feel like homework to me.

I would rather read or listen to music.

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2024 3:16 AM

All the old black and white movies. Sorry just cant get into that hyper drama or the recluses who watch them all day long.

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2024 3:21 AM

I’m on the Gump bandwagon.

Also:

Rebel without a Cause

Dead Poets Society

The Dark Knight

You’ve Got Mail

When Harry Met Sally

12 Angry Men

Good Will Hunting

Coming to America

Inception

Many others. Nope!

by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2024 3:34 AM

Dune, Dune 2 and any sequels thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 42March 26, 2024 3:39 AM

OP = PROUD TROGLODYTE!

by Anonymousreply 43March 26, 2024 3:39 AM

I missed the “classic” part. Let me remedy that.

Sophie’s Choice

They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?

Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf

Love Story

Terms of Endearment

by Anonymousreply 44March 26, 2024 3:48 AM

So basically if it ain’t a John Waters film you better not invite OP to go to the movies.

by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2024 3:55 AM

R13 Watch The Color Purple. It is his most unique film in terms of HIS filmography.

by Anonymousreply 46March 26, 2024 3:56 AM

OP, you really are a Mary! No Westerns! So I guess no John Ford? No Johnny Guitar?

No gangster films! So no film noir?

No musicals? OK, maybe you're not a Mary, after all. But damn, what a picky eater!

by Anonymousreply 47March 26, 2024 4:03 AM

R43, read the thread.

And there is nothing wrong with John Waters.

by Anonymousreply 48March 26, 2024 4:04 AM

Yeah, R47. No John Ford. Although now that you've mentioned it, I did suffer in silence through The Grapes of Wrath. I don't give a shit.

If you think Film Noir has anything to do with gangsters per se you know nothing about either.

by Anonymousreply 49March 26, 2024 4:07 AM

Top Gun

Footloose

by Anonymousreply 50March 26, 2024 4:13 AM

Wait. This OP cunt with aspie baby tastes is schooling others about film?

by Anonymousreply 51March 26, 2024 4:13 AM

R51, "I love Bergman, Renoir, the French New Wave, the Italian Neo-Realists and Continental cinema of the 70s in general; Japanese films, especially Kurosawa but also ghost stories and folk tale movies; Film Noir and classic thrillers and whodunits; surrealist cinema; obscure horror films (the more bizarre the better) and the whole gamut of American classics from All About Eve to Blue Velvet."

Tell me about my aspie baby tastes.

I am not schooling anyone in anything. I am asking a question.

I am sorry that rattles your received-taste middle-class dung-heap intellect.

by Anonymousreply 52March 26, 2024 4:20 AM

Look at teacakerises’ authentically black responses. The Color Purple — recommended! Teacakerises is certainly not a cosplay.

by Anonymousreply 53March 26, 2024 4:27 AM

Projection? Your list of loves at r52 is the "received-taste" humdrum canon of a petit bourgeois middle-brow cinephile of the late 20th century. The bare minimum.

by Anonymousreply 54March 26, 2024 4:28 AM

R54, please do tell me what is acceptable to you in terms of film-going taste.

I going to guess you won't.

by Anonymousreply 55March 26, 2024 4:32 AM

I've never seen an animated Disney movie.

by Anonymousreply 56March 26, 2024 4:33 AM

Why bother. You're a hopeless cause with your proud asinine listing of banned yet unseen directors and genres. Poor you.

by Anonymousreply 57March 26, 2024 4:35 AM

R57, then fuck off, trash.

If you're that injured over a fucking list of movies, you're not worth thinking about.

by Anonymousreply 58March 26, 2024 4:38 AM

A listing of no-go movies that you've never seen, including entire genres. Negative Nancy, pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 59March 26, 2024 4:42 AM

Mary Poppins. I never saw it on tv while growing up in New York. And I wasn't going to seek it out.

by Anonymousreply 60March 26, 2024 4:43 AM

Toy Story. Finding Nemo.

by Anonymousreply 61March 26, 2024 4:44 AM

And yet another pathetic cunt at R59 who completely misunderstands what the thread is about.

ARE THERE THEMES OR DIRECTORS YOU WILL NOT WATCH REGARDLESS OF STATUS?

Does that fucking clarify things?

by Anonymousreply 62March 26, 2024 4:45 AM

You seem sweet, R62, OP.

by Anonymousreply 63March 26, 2024 4:47 AM

The Lion King. At least old-timey fairy tales came with gore and true evil.

by Anonymousreply 64March 26, 2024 4:50 AM

I guess the question should be:

"Any classic movies you have no desire to watch?"

For me, it's The Godfather, any Elvis movie, and Breakfast At Tiffany's.

by Anonymousreply 65March 26, 2024 4:50 AM

Narnia movies. CS Lewis was a hack whose mindless Xtian propaganda bullshit is repellent and ugly.

by Anonymousreply 66March 26, 2024 4:51 AM

r59 r62 This is the DL equivalent of a meet-cute. You guys should fuck. Also, if Love, Actually is considered a classic, then Love, Actually. It just looks like torture.

by Anonymousreply 67March 26, 2024 4:52 AM

So does your father's asshole, R63.

I'm sorry, is this Datalounge or Timmy Trigger's Quivering Labial Flap-Fest?

I had no idea you were all made of scented toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 68March 26, 2024 4:52 AM

R65, thanks - I admit that would probably have been the better way to phrase this...

by Anonymousreply 69March 26, 2024 5:01 AM

[quote] You're taste is shit OP.

Your grammar is too.

by Anonymousreply 70March 26, 2024 5:01 AM

But, but, but.... "Continental cinema of the 70s in general" 🤡

by Anonymousreply 71March 26, 2024 5:04 AM

R53 And I was like

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 26, 2024 5:07 AM

I won’t watch a western either. Garbage movies. Zero interest.

by Anonymousreply 73March 26, 2024 5:12 AM

You’re missing a lot of good stuff. Personally my list is nearly every movie ever made since 2000.

by Anonymousreply 74March 26, 2024 5:20 AM

"It is his most unique film...."

Oh, Dear!

In the words of the late William Shawn: "There are no degrees of uniqueness."

by Anonymousreply 75March 26, 2024 11:01 AM

I am probably the only person of my generation to have never seen E.T.

I DID however see Grease 2 four times

by Anonymousreply 76March 26, 2024 12:03 PM

R75 haha, I love an intelligent oh dear. Thanks for schoolin me.

by Anonymousreply 77March 26, 2024 1:22 PM

R76 I bet you were the Mariest Mary to ever Mary at your middle school. I loves it tho.

by Anonymousreply 78March 26, 2024 1:22 PM

If that's what you meant, R38, then that's what you should have written,

by Anonymousreply 79March 26, 2024 1:56 PM

OP, I do think the gangster films and Film Noir can be comparable in the Post War years because films don't always fit neatly into genre categorization. It primarily depends on point of view. The depiction of the criminal is quite varied on screen and the evolution of the portrayal of the criminal or gangster character goes through an interesting evolution from the 1930's into the present. I would have to look at style when evaluating any film about crime/gangsters in order to categorize it as Noir or non-Noir. So maybe our points of view differ when it comes to Gangster vs Noir films since I think that often the lines between genre definition in films blur.

......in answer to [ R 47 ]

by Anonymousreply 80March 26, 2024 2:56 PM

Movies I haven’t seen:

Jaws

Grease*

Rocky*

Dr. Strangelove

Blazing Saddles

Young Frankenstein

Close Encounters

Indiana Jones*

Jurassic Park*

Star Wars after the first three movies

* Haven't seen any sequels or other derivatives.

by Anonymousreply 81March 26, 2024 3:05 PM

[quote]You're taste is shit OP.

You judge people's taste based on what they seek out and like, not based on what they choose to avoid for whatever reason.

by Anonymousreply 82March 26, 2024 3:17 PM

[quote]You judge people's taste based on what they seek out and like, not based on what they choose to avoid for whatever reason.

I guess that's true, but to me, making a point of avoiding certain genres of film or particular films -- especially ones that are generally considered classics -- indicates closed-mindedness. If I had that attitude, I would never have seen CASABLANCA, because it seemed to me from what I had read that chances were I wouldn't like it because of the genre, subject matter, etc. But as it turned out, I think it's a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 83March 26, 2024 3:23 PM

I’ve never seen the original Star Wars. I know 😮

by Anonymousreply 84March 26, 2024 3:43 PM

R84, I would never have seen Star Wars but for the fact that my next-door neighbor were sick at the same time one week in the 1990s, and that week we watched all three original Star Wars movies.

You missed nothing, save the cultural references with which everyone else seems to be familiar.

by Anonymousreply 85March 26, 2024 3:50 PM

Making a point of doing this is very close minded. It’s like saying I’ll never eat Indian food without first trying it. Very unadventurous and someone not to be friends with ( at least for me.)

by Anonymousreply 86March 26, 2024 4:11 PM

..closed

by Anonymousreply 87March 26, 2024 4:22 PM

R85, it's very nervy to say "you missed nothing" of three films that millions and millions of people have loved. Of course, you're entitled not to like those films, but to tell someone else who hasn't seen them "you missed nothing" is a dumb way to phrase it.

by Anonymousreply 88March 26, 2024 4:23 PM

Harry Potter

by Anonymousreply 89March 26, 2024 4:50 PM

People like whatever they like, so no criticism there. Some people love westerns while others like musicals.

However, it's utterly laughable and tedious when people take great pride to the point it's their identity to be perverse, contrarian, or different and edgy.

We get it that you don't have tastes like other people and the sheeple, so are special.

It doesn't make you interesting or unique. It makes you a pick-me girl.

by Anonymousreply 90March 26, 2024 5:03 PM

I haven’t seen a lot of the marvel flicks. I’ve never seen the first two Thors, plenty of the others as well.

by Anonymousreply 91March 26, 2024 5:18 PM

Schindler's List. i know it is supposed to be an amazing film, but i just do not want to watch such a downer of a movie.

by Anonymousreply 92March 26, 2024 5:24 PM

OP, are you actually proud of your ignorance as it pertains to great films?

by Anonymousreply 93March 26, 2024 5:33 PM

I will never again see any movie with Liza Minnelli or Judy Garland. Other than The Wizard of Oz and Cabaret, I've seen numerous clips from their various movies, but will never sit through anything with these needy, screechy performers.

Beat that bitches!

by Anonymousreply 94March 26, 2024 5:45 PM

Dances with Wolves

Killers of the Flower Moon

by Anonymousreply 95March 26, 2024 6:24 PM

I haven't seen any of the godfather or marvel movies.

by Anonymousreply 96March 26, 2024 6:50 PM

R95 Killers of the Flower Moon just came out you dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 97March 26, 2024 6:51 PM

(Some of these are much more popular than they are classic, but popular enough that they creep into many cultural references)

Pretty Women

E.T.

Star Wars (any)

Blazing Saddles

Victor Victoria (despise Julie Andrews and any film about men impersonating women or vice versa)

Mrs. Doubtfire (managed to escape all but a couple of Robin Williams' treacly turns)

Airplane

The Sound of Music (hate musical + Julie Andrews)

Rocky

Grease

Showgirls

Basic Instinct

Disney (anyfuckingthing)

Animated children's films

Pirates of the Caribbean (+ any Johnny Depp)

Tim Burton films

Anything with Leo diCaprio from this century (not that he was good before)

Superheroes films (but for a couple)

That said, OP has shit taste.

by Anonymousreply 98March 26, 2024 7:10 PM

Very well put, R90. That's exactly what's so off-putting about the OP.

by Anonymousreply 99March 26, 2024 7:14 PM

Anyone here never see a Barbra Streisand movie? Me neither.

by Anonymousreply 100March 26, 2024 9:04 PM

I want to see any movie that’s considered a classic. Even if I hate it, I end up with an opinion on it. Shit, it just takes a couple of hours.

by Anonymousreply 101March 26, 2024 9:09 PM

[quote] Some people love westerns while others like musicals.

Some people love both!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102March 26, 2024 9:15 PM

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly - and other spaghetti westerns

Anything John Wayne

Old War Movies like Bridge on the River Quai, Barry Lyndon, Braveheart, old epic films like Spartacus, Ben Hur and the 10 Commandments.

Most 80s/90s action films like True Lies or the Predator series. Things like Earthquake or Airplane.

Just not interested in these types of films.

by Anonymousreply 103March 26, 2024 9:22 PM

[quote]I want to see any movie that’s considered a classic. Even if I hate it, I end up with an opinion on it. Shit, it just takes a couple of hours.

Of course. I hope the proudly ignorant OP reads your post.

by Anonymousreply 104March 26, 2024 9:28 PM

Full Metal Jacket and Killer Joe.

by Anonymousreply 105March 26, 2024 10:41 PM

You really need to broaden your horizons, OP. Don’t be a boring, provincial ass.

Try these:

Godfather ll - especially for the lovingly crafted scenes depicting the immigrant experience in early 20th century Little Italy, NYC. Also, Goodfellas. Innovative and seminal, it deserved Best Picture. Scorsese was robbed blind.

Platoon - if for no other reason than both Tom Berenger and Willem Dafoe are smoking hot in this movie. A poignant, anti-war masterpiece featuring maybe the saddest music known to man

Peggy Sue Got Married - stellar performance by DL fav Kathleen Turner. Definitely not your daddy’s Francis Ford Coppola.

Two Mules for Sister Sara - the Western for people who say they hate Westerns. Maybe my favorite Clint Eastwood, Shirley MacLaine steals the show.

The Exorcist - and Rosemary's Baby and The Omen (1976) too

Victor/Victoria - c’mon, OP. Are you even gay?

Breaking the Waves - more than any other on this list, an absolute must. You can’t even talk about movies if you haven’t seen this film

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - if the Manson Family murders had a happy ending. Hilarious eye candy, Tarantino’s love letter to Tinseltown brilliantly conveys the zeitgeist of L.A. in 1969

by Anonymousreply 106March 26, 2024 11:26 PM

Life is short, R106.

Time waits for no man.

I've yet to finish reading Zola's amazing cycle of novels.

I shall do that instead.

by Anonymousreply 107March 26, 2024 11:35 PM

[quote]Breaking the Waves - more than any other on this list, an absolute must. You can’t even talk about movies if you haven’t seen this film.

Possibly the most preposterous statement made on DL this month. And what a depressing picture. If OP wants to start a "Movies You Wish You Hadn't Seen" thread, I'll put Breaking the Waves at the top of my list.

by Anonymousreply 108March 26, 2024 11:37 PM

So you are a deliberate imbecile!

by Anonymousreply 109March 26, 2024 11:37 PM

Never saw any of the Godfather movies. I have zero interest.

Same with Scarface, Rocky films, Horror films.

I do like war films and in my opinion, Full Metal Jacket is a superior film to Platoon on how it depicts the experiences of the war.

You couldn't pay me to watch anything like Airplane.

I loathe Tarantino. The only films I've seen of his were Pulp Fiction and the Nazi one and both of those were shitty.

by Anonymousreply 110March 26, 2024 11:54 PM

But OP has seen The Little Mermaid 179 times.

by Anonymousreply 111March 27, 2024 12:30 AM

Over the years I have seen almost all the so-called classic films at least once. Those I didn't care for I never bothered to see again.

by Anonymousreply 112March 27, 2024 12:31 AM

R111, I have never seen any Disney animated film after Alice in Wonderland (which I think is absolutely charming, if obviously not the original book).

by Anonymousreply 113March 27, 2024 1:21 AM

Why are there so many control freaks here telling other posters which movies they should be obsessed with?

They’re probably the same control freaks who tell others what kind of food they should like.

by Anonymousreply 114March 27, 2024 1:46 AM

Any of the “Star Wars” or “Harry Potter” films.

by Anonymousreply 115March 27, 2024 2:26 AM

R114 What are your favorite movies?

by Anonymousreply 116March 27, 2024 2:30 AM

OP I love your list and agree with most everything, particularly Quentin Tarantino— what a hack!

My observation is that people go through a Western phase around age 60-70, before, during, or after their Bob Dylan phase. I’m not there yet, so I don’t want to dismiss them just yet.

by Anonymousreply 117March 27, 2024 2:44 AM

[ R 106 ] I agree that Lars Von Trier's "Breaking The Waves" is a must but one should be forewarned that it is painfully disturbing. His "Melancholia" is a wonderful film as well. Sad and gorgeous.

In the end though, people should see what interests them. There are too many film critics and pundits out there now as well as wannabe film critics and pundits. It's enough to make your head spin. Luckily, though, we have so many choices. Follow your own tastes and interests and enjoy. Life is hard enough without having to pass the good taste litmus test.

by Anonymousreply 118March 27, 2024 2:44 AM

Indeed, R118.

But we’re just shooting the shit, you know.

by Anonymousreply 119March 27, 2024 2:48 AM

My top ten:

Last Year at Marienbad

The Earrings of Madame de...

All About Eve

The Bicycle Thief

Weekend

The Wizard of Oz

The Shining

The Conformist

Lost Highways

Gosford Park

Runners-up (all for very different reasons): Citizen Kane (of course), Alien, His Girl Friday, Blue Velvet, Babes in Toyland (The March of the Wooden Soldiers), Suspiria, Creepshow, The African Queen, The Misfits, Dangerous Liaisons, To Have and Have Not, Day of the Locust, Vanishing Point, Two Lane Blacktop, The Fog, Harikiri, Diabolique, The Magnificent Ambersons, Sunset Boulevard, The Empire Strikes Back, Female Trouble, Umberto D., Solaris (Russian version), Night of the Living Dead, Less Than Zero, The Big Sleep, The Manchurian Candidate, Some Like it Hot.

by Anonymousreply 120March 27, 2024 3:14 AM

[quote] … featuring maybe the saddest music known to man

Someone hasn’t seen the 2022 “All Quiet on the Western Front.”

by Anonymousreply 121March 27, 2024 3:30 AM

R107 Are you OP?

R108 Not your cup of tea, eh?

Watching it is almost a traumatic experience. It’s an epic fable of sacrifice and redemption.

R110 “Outstanding, Private Pyle.”

Didn’t want to recommend Full Metal Jacket to someone unfamiliar with war movies.

Tarantino is a sadistic, exploitative fuck. But Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is almost…kind. Surprisingly thoughtful and mature.

R118 It’s the kind of movie that gets stuck in your mind. One I’ll always come back to.

I liked Melancholia as well. Kept worrying that Kirsten Dunst’s wedding dress would get ruined!

If you’re into movies about women in existential peril, Mother! is another fine choice.

by Anonymousreply 122March 27, 2024 3:59 AM

“Star Wars”

by Anonymousreply 123March 27, 2024 4:01 AM

R122, yes, I am OP at R107.

by Anonymousreply 124March 27, 2024 4:14 AM

R124 For you, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 27, 2024 4:18 AM

R125, to this day, possibly the most harrowing scene of domestic abuse ever filmed.

by Anonymousreply 126March 27, 2024 4:30 AM

Twelve Angry Men.

Like I want to see a bunch of white guys locked in a room, arguing for two hours!

by Anonymousreply 127March 27, 2024 4:40 AM

R126 Kubrick was treading a fine line. He made Shelley Duvall’s “Wendy” a simpering, submissive fool. Almost as if he wanted the audience to identify with Jack’s rage and violent intentions.

by Anonymousreply 128March 27, 2024 4:59 AM

R102 Best musical ever!

by Anonymousreply 129March 27, 2024 5:07 AM

I don’t know why everyone thinks THE SHINING is so great.

Stephen King is kind of Everyman shallow.

by Anonymousreply 130March 27, 2024 5:17 AM

R128, I disagree. Duvall plays the character as an abuse victim who finally, under crisis, breaks with her abuser.

Is she "annoying"? She might be. She's also 90 pounds soaking wet and dressed in a bizarre outfit in her first scene that would cover up any bruising.

She also gets the better of Jack and saves her child.

the whole "Duvall's version of the character is weak" seems to miss the point of what she accomplishes.

by Anonymousreply 131March 27, 2024 5:18 AM

R131 For sure, Wendy becomes the one the audience roots for. When she gets the better of Jack and locks him up in the dry pantry? So satisfying.

Still, I think Kubrick wanted the audience to relate to Jack on some level. I think he actually admired human beings for their baser instincts.

by Anonymousreply 132March 27, 2024 6:16 AM

R121 This is not sad. It will make you like opera.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133March 27, 2024 7:09 AM

R12 His command of English is astonishing. And it wasn’t even his first language!

R18 Damn straight!

R95 Fuck you, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 134March 27, 2024 7:25 AM

What about There Will Be Blood?

Men seem to like it.

Is it better than Apocalypse Now?

by Anonymousreply 135March 27, 2024 8:21 AM

[quote]Schindler's List. i know it is supposed to be an amazing film, but i just do not want to watch such a downer of a movie.

This for me too R92. It is apparently a masterpiece, and a very moving film, but I would just find too distressing. One of the best films I will never see

Not a fan of all those superhero movies either, they leave me cold

by Anonymousreply 136March 27, 2024 8:26 AM

You guys should watch the video of Russians torturing murder suspects.

by Anonymousreply 137March 27, 2024 8:31 AM

Kids. Never, ever treat a human being like that. Or an animal either.

by Anonymousreply 138March 27, 2024 8:33 AM

R135 Pretty darn close. There will be blood is the greatest film of the 21st century.

by Anonymousreply 139March 28, 2024 12:55 PM

I've never seen Gone With the Wind. Although I keep telling myself that someday I will force myself to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 140March 28, 2024 1:00 PM

OP started a thread just to sound jejune.

by Anonymousreply 141March 28, 2024 1:22 PM

R108, I agree with you. I thought Breaking the Waves was ridiculous. I would never watch it ever again. Dogville is much better.

by Anonymousreply 142March 28, 2024 1:33 PM

[quote]I've never seen Gone With the Wind. Although I keep telling myself that someday I will force myself to watch it.

Although the film is hugely problematic because of its glossing over of black slavery, it's well worth watching as a historical artifact for the wonderful performances of almost everyone except Leslie Howard, the gorgeous color photography, and many other reasons.

by Anonymousreply 143March 28, 2024 1:50 PM

Oppenheimer

2001: A Space Odyssey

The Dark Knight or any other superhero film

Lord of the Rings

Anything Merchant-Ivory or similar, unless I desperately needed to fall asleep.

Pretty much any Oscar-bait type film, especially biopics, period dramas, war movies, etc.

by Anonymousreply 144March 28, 2024 1:58 PM

R106, there's only ONE of those movies that's a must see - Godfather II, and it needs a good 30 min cut.

by Anonymousreply 145March 28, 2024 1:59 PM

In your opinion, R145. Obviously, others' mileage may vary.

by Anonymousreply 146March 28, 2024 2:02 PM

[quote]Although the film is hugely problematic because of its glossing over of black slavery

Gone With the Wind is FICTION and a best selling novel about its heroine. The movie conforms to the book, and in 1939 there was no "problem" with glossing over slavery. The movie is not about slavery. It's only now that some younins apply today's sensibilities to a 85 year old movie.

by Anonymousreply 147March 28, 2024 2:14 PM

R147, even back in the day, some people recognized the huge, indefensible flaw in the book and movie of GONE WITH THE WIND is that slavery is glossed over. I agree it's true that this was not a "problem" for most people back then, but that's no excuse.

No one loves GWTW more than I do for the performances of Vivien Leigh et al, the photography, the score, etc., etc. BUT for heaven's sake, the slaves are depicted as if they were paid servants, with no indication that they are ever mistreated. There is no actual mention of the words "slave" or "slavery" in the film, and the black characters are actually identified as "house servants" in the opening credits. Nor is there any acknowledgment that the "servants," including the beloved Mammy, would be beaten to a pulp or lynched if they ever tried to escape the white people who "own" them.

I know GWTW is "fiction," but it's the equivalent of someone writing a book or making a movie that focused on the struggles of a nice German family during WWII while downplaying the Holocaust.

by Anonymousreply 148March 28, 2024 2:32 PM

^ Very very very eldergay

by Anonymousreply 149March 28, 2024 5:24 PM

[quote]Very very very eldergay

No, moron at R149. Believe it or not, some people are aware of historically significant things that happened well before they were born.

by Anonymousreply 150March 28, 2024 8:28 PM

OP, you are a proud ignoramus. Have fun and go back to your Marvel movies.

by Anonymousreply 151March 28, 2024 9:03 PM

R148, I've come around on GWTW. European visitors to the antebellum South reported that house slaves often had strategies for manipulating their owners, and there are scenes in GWTW suggest this dynamic. Mammy, in raising Scarlett, has made Scarlett depend on her approval. And is there just a touch of malice in the way she points out that Scarlett's figure was affected by her pregnancy? It does undermine Scarlett's relationship with Rhett, after all.

by Anonymousreply 152March 28, 2024 9:08 PM

[quote]R152 Mammy, in raising Scarlett, has made Scarlett depend on her approval.

Does Scarlett depend on Mammy’s advice, or ignore it?

by Anonymousreply 153March 28, 2024 9:49 PM

What a tiny and hermetically sealed little world you live in, OP.

by Anonymousreply 154March 28, 2024 9:52 PM

OP/R13, have you ever seen [italic]Duel,[/italic] or [italic]The Sugarland Express?[/italic]

They are absolutely stellar Spielberg films, and the only ones I have ever watched and loved. Everything after that is emotionally manipulative dreck. Because of that animus I will never watch his WW2 combat film (or was it Vietnam?) or his WW2 Holocaust film.

I'm in the minority of all my current and former friends, but I HATE HATE HATE David Lynch and all his works that I've ever seen, so anything of his I have never seen, I never will.

by Anonymousreply 155March 28, 2024 10:13 PM

Yes, Ma’am, Granny at R150!

by Anonymousreply 156March 28, 2024 10:26 PM

OP I also dislike war and mafia movies but Coppolla's Dracula is a masterpiece. I think you should see it. Also Peggy Sue Got Married.

by Anonymousreply 157March 29, 2024 2:30 AM

Speilberg's 1941

by Anonymousreply 158March 29, 2024 2:51 AM

GWTW’s screenplay also betrays the central tragedy that Margaret Mitchell creates between Scarlett and Rhett-they are unable to say to each other what may have saved their relationship-that they loved the other.

In the movie, Rhett tells Scarlett he loves her right away, totally undercutting the novel.

by Anonymousreply 159March 29, 2024 4:00 AM

You couldn't pay me to watch Forest Gump or Schindler's List, for different but similar reasons. False, contrived and mawkish.

by Anonymousreply 160March 29, 2024 7:18 AM

^ Good call. Forrest Gump is excruciating

by Anonymousreply 161March 29, 2024 11:36 AM

R149 is your phone your life?

by Anonymousreply 162March 29, 2024 4:45 PM

OP, you sound like such a well-rounded individual. What books are you into?

by Anonymousreply 163March 29, 2024 5:01 PM

What's a book?

by Anonymousreply 164March 29, 2024 5:32 PM

Nobody reads books anymore, R163

by Anonymousreply 165March 29, 2024 7:08 PM

[quote]You couldn't pay me to watch Forest Gump or Schindler's List, for different but similar reasons. False, contrived and mawkish.

Perhaps you're not aware that SCHINDLER'S LIST is a true story, And how the hell do you know the movie is "false, contrived and mawkish" if you haven't seen it, you moron?

by Anonymousreply 166March 29, 2024 8:49 PM

It's not a documentary, R166.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167March 29, 2024 10:41 PM

Why not The Exorcist, OP? Are you chicken shit?

by Anonymousreply 168March 29, 2024 10:52 PM

The overwhelming majority of Schindler's List is factual. They have added some characters or embellished some parts of the story narrative flow.

by Anonymousreply 169March 30, 2024 1:35 AM

False, contrived and mawkish is almost guaranteed with Spielberg's movies. "Saving Private Ryan", anyone?

by Anonymousreply 170March 30, 2024 2:27 AM

To R168, THE EXORIST is sooo boring, it's not scary anymore

Try Requiem for a Dream

by Anonymousreply 171March 30, 2024 2:28 AM

Forest GUMP

by Anonymousreply 172March 30, 2024 2:30 AM

[quote] Why not The Exorcist, OP?

I heard OP's mother sucks cocks in hell

by Anonymousreply 173March 30, 2024 4:12 AM

R171 The Exorcist isn't scary "anymore"? WTH does that even mean? How can something that WAS scary no longer be scary?

Anyway The Exorcist is FAR more compelling than just "scary".......dimwits nowadays watch this expecting constant jump scares and melodrama and all the predictable bs that comes with horror movies nowadays but instead are left confused by the multidimensional characters, compelling messages about faith and science and sacrifice and the slow burn building into climax. In other words, they're expecting their food chewed up for them.

by Anonymousreply 174March 30, 2024 4:23 AM

I’ve never seen any of the big westerns, like The Searchers or Unforgiven. It’s just a boring genre to me.

I did see the one with Hillary Swank, poor thing. And now that I think of it, I did like Lonesome Dove. But usually they’re just so dusty and full of fake grandstanding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175March 30, 2024 7:10 AM

[quote]I’ve never seen any of the big westerns, like The Searchers or Unforgiven. It’s just a boring genre to me.

But whether or not that's true depends on many variables. For example, I really don't like THE SEARCHERS but I think STAGECOACH is a great film, both directed by John Ford. What's the main difference? The quality of the script, IMHO.

[quote]Usually they’re just so dusty and full of fake grandstanding..

Even if that's true, usually is not always. It's your great loss if you insist on missing classic films because you don't like -- or THINK you don't like -- a particular genre. But I realize its difficult to talk sense into people with your mindset.

by Anonymousreply 176March 30, 2024 1:29 PM

Titanic

Top Gun

Lord of Rings

by Anonymousreply 177March 30, 2024 1:37 PM

Westerns are very hard for me to watch. But I did like The Wild Bunch and Once Upon a Time in the West.

by Anonymousreply 178March 30, 2024 4:13 PM

I've never gotten into westerns...ever. I want to try watching The good, the bad and the ugly because the score is so fantastic and it's essentially considered a masterpiece and a seminal work not just for westerns but films in general, and because I love Eli Wallach, but idk, I'm scared to be dissapointed yet again.

by Anonymousreply 179March 30, 2024 4:20 PM

R163, primarily 19th and early to mid-20th century American, Russian, French and English literature.

Somewhere around John Cheever, fiction takes a turn I do not care to follow, although Raymond Carver was amazing.

Nowadays I have a game where I walk into a bookstore and try to read the first three paragraphs of a bestseller without wanting to throw the book across the room.

"Ted sat down at his computer whitely and began to work on his novel. It was about a novelist named Det."

"Agnes was a lesbian except for this one sex scene right here."

"Gosh, it was hard being a one-legged part Korean genderqueer snow-plow operator or might have been had Jeremy been any of those things."

"Let me tell you all about my miserable childhood for 800 fucking pages."

"Tulla sipped her lemonade, admired the sunset and remembered the rape."

"My name is James Frey and I'm going to prove to you that there is no God by simply not being shot in the head by now."

Etc.

by Anonymousreply 180March 30, 2024 4:40 PM

R171, The Exorcist was NEVER scary

by Anonymousreply 181March 30, 2024 5:22 PM

R181, Standing in line outside in the freezing cold was.

by Anonymousreply 182March 30, 2024 6:00 PM

There are many classics I haven't seen, many mentioned on this list. I have pretty quirky/arty taste in film. I'm also not a big fan of violent genres - never watched the Godfather movies, etc.

One classic I'm somewhat ashamed of never seeing is It's A Wonderful Life. Somehow it just never happened - am usually visiting someone or doing something when it's shown on TV. Will try to rectify that.

by Anonymousreply 183March 30, 2024 6:06 PM

I have no interest in any of the later John Wayne westerns, like "McLintock" and "The Cowboys" and "Rooster Cogburn", etc. Don't think I'll ever get around to watching any of those.

by Anonymousreply 184March 30, 2024 6:47 PM

I will watch Spaghetti Westerns and Chorizo Westerns. Though only a handful are great films, the rest are usually much easier or more diverting to watch than American westerns. The few American Westerns I like (e.g., Treasure if the Sierra Madre; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford) are unusual of their type, or questionably Westerns.

by Anonymousreply 185March 31, 2024 9:15 AM

Forrest Gump

Titanic/WE Gilbert Grape

Good Will Hunting

The Lion King

Harry Potter/Lord of The Rings

Star Trek (never saw the shows either)

Pretty Woman/Erin B/Steel Mags/Mystic Pizza

Shakespeare In Love

Matrix Movies

Slumdog Millionaire

Anything Spielberg after 93 when I finally realized I loathe him bc he has so much contempt for his audience that he puts children at risk as his main plot device. I’ve had a million arguments about this but every movie plot he touched can be traced back to someone’s child - even if the child is an adult - in peril. Dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 186March 31, 2024 12:09 PM

The Exorcist is about so much more than jump scares. It deals with heavy, elemental themes and is beuatifully acted and shot. It's also a technically brilliant film whose effects and cinematography (even the musical scoring etc) still stand up today. The film is so important to film history it's been preserved by the Library of Congress.

I highly recommend the new 4K re-release than came out last year with Warner Bros 100 year anniversary.

by Anonymousreply 187March 31, 2024 1:05 PM

R187, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 188March 31, 2024 3:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!