Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Blue Bird (1940) was better than “The Wizard Of Oz”

Any other fans of this movie and Shirley Temple? Shirley and her movies are so rarely discussed on DL compared to other golden age stars. I still think Shirley shat al over Judy when it comes to talent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 28, 2024 3:14 PM

The Shirley Temple troll?

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2024 5:34 PM

One can only hope that OP is a troll and this post is a complete joke. That movie is largely insufferable, although the very early technicolor photography has held up beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2024 5:39 PM

Shirley Temple was a brilliant performer. She couldn’t sing like Judy but she certainly had more charisma and was better at tap dancing.

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2024 5:42 PM

Judy and Shirley weren’t competitors, were they? I consider most of ST’s work to be before the age of 10 whereas JG’s roles were after the age of 10. Both lit up the screen and oozed charisma. Love them both and the work they leave behind.

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2024 5:45 PM

SHirley's film, The Little Princess, made the same year as Oz is a really good film, The Bluebird is crap... however, it's still better than that monstrocity of a remake from the 70's.

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2024 6:12 PM

[quote]Judy and Shirley weren’t competitors, were they? I consider most of ST’s work to be before the age of 10 whereas JG’s roles were after the age of 10. Both lit up the screen and oozed charisma. Love them both and the work they leave behind.

This is the truth of the situation, despite idiotic comments from others in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2024 6:17 PM

Judy was more rivals with Deanna Durbin.

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2024 6:17 PM

Shirley didn't compete with anyone. She did her thing and went home. Show business was all Judy had. In her adult interviews you could tell Shirley barely has a fuck to give about her show biz days. 🛥️ 🍭

by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2024 6:35 PM

You're not still in that shit business, Judy, are you?

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2024 6:56 PM

OP is just being silly.

"The Blue Bird" is terrible, and Miss Temple was beyond the age where her fabled talents could convey charming precocity. She had begun her "I am trying the same techniques and I seem like an unintelligent and unappealing egotist" years.

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2024 8:45 PM

In her autobiography, "Child Star", Temple stated she was not fond of the boy who played her brother in "The Blue Bird", she admitted being a bit jealous, he was cute & younger. I recall this movie making me cry as a child (the scene with the unborn lovers being seperated), it's a rather morose & odd movie.

by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2024 9:07 PM

I admit to a fondness for Young People, which she filmed the same year as The Blue Bird. It's basically the same film as the later Grable movie, Mother Wore Tights, which definitely is a better film, but Young People does have Charlotte Greenwood, so how bad could it be?

by Anonymousreply 12March 25, 2024 9:33 PM

This Blue Bird was the best of all of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2024 9:34 PM

Shirley called Bill Robinson the "N" word and hit Lionel Barrymore in the nuts on "The Little Colonel."

She was an adorable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2024 9:46 PM

Oh please. Shirley was told not to touch Bill Robinson in the dance sequence, but she grabbed his hand anyway. She talks about her relationship with Robinson in her book.

by Anonymousreply 15March 25, 2024 9:51 PM

[quote] I still think Shirley shat al over Judy when it comes to talent.

Al Jolson?

by Anonymousreply 16March 25, 2024 10:06 PM

Stealth scat thread

by Anonymousreply 17March 25, 2024 10:21 PM

I saw the Elizabeth Taylor "Blue Bird" in the theater as a 10-year old and loved it!

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2024 4:30 PM

My friend’s mom was obsessed with Shirley Temple. I found it odd since she was one of the most loathsome individuals I’ve ever known.

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2024 4:47 PM

Shirley's star decidedly faded in 1939 the year both The Wizard of Oz and The Bluebird was released. With that said, she was the biggest box office star for several years running, making her along with Mary Pickford, Doris Day and Julia Roberts the biggest female box-office stars in Hollywood history.

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2024 5:06 PM

[quote] The Bluebird is crap... however, it's still better than that monstrocity of a remake from the 70's.

Back in the 80s that showed up on some cable channel and we stumbled across it. I just remember my mom saying “What the hell *is* this?” after watching for awhile. It was very out of character for my mom to curse even mildly like that so I always chuckle when I hear the title

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2024 5:22 PM

“Heidi” and “Little Miss Broadway” were my favorite Shirley films.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2024 6:39 PM

This is NOT what I meant.

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2024 6:46 PM

Whata rack!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2024 6:48 PM

It's sort of like the Xanadu of 1940

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2024 6:55 PM

I watched Wee Willie Winkie starring ST when stoned and I wept.

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2024 7:03 PM

Wee Willie Winkie had homo Cesar Romero in it

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2024 7:04 PM

Shirley did two films with the beautiful Alice Faye.

Alive Faye, now that’s a star DL should talk about more.

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2024 3:59 AM

I saw The Blue Bird (1940) at a kiddee matinee at my local theater in the early 70s and found it very entertaining. I recall the somewhat sobering themes and adult emotions, plus the beautiful color, the unborn babies, the conflagration and of course Shirley Temple.

With the right expectations I think it can be a very interesting and enjoyable film.

Naturally I think it should be on a double-bill with Shirley's last Fox film, the underrated "Young People".

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2024 5:21 AM

YOURE AN IDIOT

by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2024 9:36 AM

R29, I would think THE BLUE BIRD (1940) would be far more enjoyable by children than by adults -- at least, by children back in the day, in a time simpler than our own. But for most adults, I think it's far too obvious in its manipulative tear-jerking, and the themes are handled almost with a sledge hammer. If the acting and direction were far more subtle and real, I think it would be a far better film.

by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2024 2:00 PM

While she and others may have thought so, Shirley never had the talent Judy had. She went to MGM, but it bombed harder than Mariah in Glitter.

by Anonymousreply 32March 27, 2024 3:12 PM

A child actress from the film died shortly after film.

Four-year-old Caryll Ann Ekelund appears as an unborn child in the film. On Halloween 1939, Ekelund's costume caught fire from a lit jack-o-lantern. She died from her burns several days later and was buried in her costume from the film. Ekelund came from a showbusiness family; her older sister was actress Jana Lund.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2024 3:13 PM

The posters for the film are stunning. Google them.

by Anonymousreply 34March 27, 2024 3:23 PM

[quote]Shirley's star decidedly faded in 1939 the year both The Wizard of Oz and The Bluebird was released. With that said, she was the biggest box office star for several years running, making her along with Mary Pickford, Doris Day and Julia Roberts the biggest female box-office stars in Hollywood history.

Shirley Temple was the #1 movie star in 1935-1938, ahead of superstars like Clark Gable and Fred & Ginger.

She ranked #8 in 1934 and #5 in 1939.

In that period, she also won a special Oscar for her box office power and being the cheerful face of Hollywood during the grim Depression years.

She's the greatest child star ever!

Incidentally, Judy Garland made the list a few times but not in the top spot and never in direct competition with Shirley Temple: 1940 (#10)), 1941 (#10), 1945 (#9).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 27, 2024 3:57 PM

As others have pointed out, the careers of Judy Garland and Shirley Temple are not really comparable for several reasons, including the fact that most of Shiirley's starring roles in films came when she was a very young, pre-pubescent child, which was not the case with Judy.

by Anonymousreply 36March 27, 2024 4:03 PM

There are some really fucked up things in The Bluebird. There’s a land of yet-to-be born children, where Shirley meets her soon-to-be-sister. Shirley’s excited until she’s told her future sister isn’t going to live very long.

by Anonymousreply 37March 27, 2024 4:05 PM

Yes, R37, and then there are the two unborn children who are holding each other and crying because they're in love with each other and they somehow know they're going to be born in different time periods, so they won't be able to be a couple on earth. In order to try to make this a little less creepy, those two kids are played by teenagers rather than pre-pubescents, but it's still pretty creepy and very treacly.

by Anonymousreply 38March 27, 2024 4:14 PM

History has pretty much made its final judgment. Few have ever or are currently clamoring for The Shirley Temple Story. Her most memorable depiction is as the nightmarish crux of Day of the Locust.

by Anonymousreply 39March 27, 2024 4:17 PM

La Temple is way too cringe to have stood the test of time. Mostly people just want to smack her.

by Anonymousreply 40March 27, 2024 4:23 PM

Incidentally, 2001 was a good year to be a Classic Hollywood obsessed gayling like myself.

That year saw the following TV biopics:

- "Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows" with Judy Davis in February.

- "Child Star: The Shirley Temple Story" with Connie Britton as Shirley's mom in May.

- "Blonde" with Poppy Montgomery as Marilyn Monroe in May.

"- James Dean" with James Franco in August.

I anticipated each and every one.

That's how I recall my pre-9/11 spring/summer.

by Anonymousreply 41March 27, 2024 4:34 PM

R35, Imagine abruptly falling to #5 after 3 years on top. Poor Shirley.

by Anonymousreply 42March 27, 2024 6:10 PM

[quote]La Temple is way too cringe to have stood the test of time. Mostly people just want to smack her.

The pouty syrupy delivery of her lines is excruciating. Judy's acting at a young age seems contemporary, it still holds up.

It's no surprise that Temple could not transition successfully to adult roles. She just wasn't much of an actress.

Imagine if Temple had played Dorothy, what different film The Wizard of Oz would have been.

by Anonymousreply 43March 27, 2024 7:06 PM

For R39.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 27, 2024 9:19 PM

I think they're two very different movies and I like them both for different reasons.

But the unborn children scene in The Blue Bird is one of the more jaw-dropping scenes I've seen in any movie.

by Anonymousreply 45March 27, 2024 9:38 PM

The best part was the forest fire.

by Anonymousreply 46March 27, 2024 9:56 PM

[quote]But the unborn children scene in The Blue Bird is one of the more jaw-dropping scenes I've seen in any movie.

I agree, and I'd be interested to hear exactly what you find jaw-dropping about it. I assume that one young man is supposed to be Abraham Lincoln, although no one ever quite says that?

by Anonymousreply 47March 27, 2024 10:27 PM

[quote]I'd be interested to hear exactly what you find jaw-dropping about it.

That it was integrated. Ike nearly choked on his popcorn when we saw this at the theater.

by Anonymousreply 48March 27, 2024 10:33 PM

Here's the little crispy critter mentioned at R33.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 27, 2024 10:42 PM

One of my favorite ST scenes:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 27, 2024 10:53 PM

Another good one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 27, 2024 10:56 PM

I wonder if Gale Sondergaard ever regretted saying no to The Wizard Of Oz and yes to this piece of shit?

by Anonymousreply 52March 27, 2024 10:57 PM

That is so sad and horrible about the way that little girl died. I think it's pretty disgusting that anyone would joke about it as you did, R49, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Really.

by Anonymousreply 53March 27, 2024 10:59 PM

YOU OTTA BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF FRIGHTENING HIM LIKE THAT WHEN HE CAME TO YOU FOR HELP!

by Anonymousreply 54March 27, 2024 11:11 PM

R49 - That clip should read: "Pre-Mortal WHITE Spirit World"

by Anonymousreply 55March 27, 2024 11:19 PM

Only one of the films was made better by the work of legendary character actress Margaret Hamilton. And it wasn't the Temple flick.

I just recently watched Temple's "Heidi", and was genuinely impressed by her acting ability, at such a young age. She tapped and pouted, but Shirley Temple was the real deal. One thing she wasn't: genuine competition for Judy Garland.

by Anonymousreply 56March 27, 2024 11:24 PM

R47, the reason I felt that way about the scene was because of the way it totally ignored any Christian dogma (huge point in its favor for me) — sure, the whole movie was a fantasy but even so there was something about it that was somehow so oddly realistic. It’s hard to explain. Oh, I also picked up on the Lincoln similarity, which brought reincarnation to mind. The “mothers” singing the children to earth was downright eerie. And the unborn sister who couldn’t stick around when born cast a shadow on the movie’s supposedly happy ending.

It’s a very philosophical film. The WOZ was philosophical too, but in a much more conventional way.

by Anonymousreply 57March 27, 2024 11:42 PM

[quote]I wonder if Gale Sondergaard ever regretted saying no to The Wizard Of Oz and yes to this piece of shit?

Um, as she did wardrobe and make-up tests for Oz, I don't think she said no. She couldn't be made unattractive enough, so they let her go.

by Anonymousreply 58March 27, 2024 11:46 PM

The visit with the dead grandparents ...

by Anonymousreply 59March 27, 2024 11:56 PM

Yeah, I can't imagine that Margaret Hamilton would have been next on the list if they were still going for a Gale Sondegaard type.

by Anonymousreply 60March 28, 2024 12:19 AM

R59, that reminded me of Peggy Sue Got Married (a movie that made me totally lose my shit).

by Anonymousreply 61March 28, 2024 1:09 AM

[quote]She couldn't be made unattractive enough, so they let her go.

Au contraire, r58...

[quote]During pre-production of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's classic The Wizard of Oz (1939), an early idea was to have the Wicked Witch of the West portrayed as a slinky, glamorous villainess in a black, sequined costume, inspired by the Evil Queen in Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937). Sondergaard was cast as the witch and photographed for two wardrobe tests, both of which survive—one as a glamorous witch, and another as a conventionally ugly one. After the decision was made to have an ugly witch, Sondergaard, reluctant to wear the disfiguring makeup and fearing it could damage her career, withdrew from the role, and it went to veteran character actress Margaret Hamilton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 28, 2024 1:20 AM

[quote] While she and others may have thought so, Shirley never had the talent Judy had.

First of all, that's pretty much apples and oranges.

But though Temple was never the singer garland was, Garland was never the dancer Temple was... at age seven!

by Anonymousreply 63March 28, 2024 1:24 AM

I know her delivery can be cloying and it's easy to criticize, but Shirley Temple was phenomenally talented, especially when you consider she was little more than a baby during the early part of her heyday. She was naturally charming and adorable.

R50, I could have sworn that there was a part of that scene in which Shirley and Bill are dancing the stairs singing something like, "Nyeh-nyeh-nyeh, nyeh-nyeh-nyeh, nyeh-nyeh-nyeh ne nyeh-nyeh-nyeh." Do you know what I mean? Is it in a different movie?

by Anonymousreply 64March 28, 2024 1:24 AM

[quote]Garland was never the dancer Temple was

Here, pregnant with Liza...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 28, 2024 1:32 AM

Interesting, R57. I thought you meant you found that scene "jaw-dropping" in a bad way, but apparently you meant in a good way??? I have to disagree!

by Anonymousreply 66March 28, 2024 1:37 AM

I meant it in an astonishing way.

by Anonymousreply 67March 28, 2024 2:47 AM

I think this was her next-to-last film under her Fox contract from the 1930s, and I actually like her final one, “Young Folks,” more.

by Anonymousreply 68March 28, 2024 2:55 AM

I think Judy could old-school shuffle in the vaudeville style pretty convincingly when needed, like she did with Fred in just one of such scenes in 1948’s MGM film “Easter Parade.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 28, 2024 3:00 AM

By a strange coincidence, both Temple and her "Blue Bird" co-star Johnny Russell (aka John R. Countryman) both became United States ambassadors, she to Ghana and he to Oman. Temple's mother tried to have Johnny replaced by an actor closer to Shirley's age because she thought a younger actor would be perceived as cuter than aging Shirley, but Darryl Zanuck refused. Countryman is still alive; he just turned 91.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 28, 2024 3:26 AM

Yeah, but in 95% of Judy's film performances she reads as being on the brink of being institutionalized. With Post Meet Me in St. Louis Judy a little goes a loooong waayy.

by Anonymousreply 71March 28, 2024 3:33 AM

The video at R49 is all kinds of crazy. The section with Shirley meeting her soon to be dead sister starts around 2:30.

by Anonymousreply 72March 28, 2024 3:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!