Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anne Hathaway Lost Roles After Oscar Win Because of ‘How Toxic My Identity Had Become Online’

Anne Hathaway told Vanity Fair during a cover story interview that Christopher Nolan more or less saved her career when public opinion turned against her in the lead up to and the aftermath of her winning the Oscar for “Les Miserables.” Hathaway was widely mocked online at this time, and she once remembered googling herself after the Oscar win only to see one of the top search results was an article with the title: “Why does everyone hate Anne Hathaway?”

“A lot of people wouldn’t give me roles because they were so concerned about how toxic my identity had become online,” Hathaway now told Vanity Fair. “I had an angel in Christopher Nolan, who did not care about that and gave me one of the most beautiful roles I’ve had in one of the best films that I’ve been a part of.”

Hathaway is referring to the role of NASA scientist Dr. Amelia Brand in Nolan’s 2014 space epic “Interstellar.” She had already worked with Nolan before as Selina Kyle in 2012’s “The Dark Knight Rises,” which earned her acclaim several months before her Oscar campaign for “Les Miserables” in the back end of 2012 generated internet scorn.

“I don’t know if he knew that he was backing me at the time, but it had that effect,” Hathaway said about Nolan. “And my career did not lose momentum the way it could have if he hadn’t backed me.”

“Humiliation is such a rough thing to go through,” the Oscar winner added. “The key is to not let it close you down. You have to stay bold, and it can be hard because you’re like, ‘If I stay safe, if I hug the middle, if I don’t draw too much attention to myself, it won’t hurt.’ But if you want to do that, don’t be an actor. You’re a tightrope walker. You’re a daredevil. You’re asking people to invest their time and their money and their attention and their care into you. So you have to give them something worth all of those things. And if it’s not costing you anything, what are you really offering?”

Hathaway has long sung Nolan’s praises following their two films together. During a conversation with Nolan’s “Oppenheimer” star Emily Blunt last year for Variety’s “Actors on Actors” series, Hathaway said that “the part that blows my mind about Chris is that he is authoritative in the best sense of the word.”

“I remember one day we were doing a shot on ‘The Dark Knight Rises,'” she explained. “He came to me beforehand and said, ‘I just want you to know, this shot has lived in my head for many years. I’m going to be very specific about it. I’m going to make you do it a lot, but it’s not actually you. It’s just because I have it in my head a certain way.’ For him to say that in a way where, as an actor, you don’t start to question yourself!”

Vanity Fair noted in its cover story that Hathaway “doesn’t love to look back on the time when people mocked her.” Speaking to The Sun back in 2021, the actor took a glass-half-full approach when asked about this period in her life, noting how backlash against her forced her to build self-confidence that might not have been built otherwise.

“I really don’t want to dredge up the past but I did have my monster out there, I did have the internet turn on me and hate me and it was like a whole big thing,” Hathaway said at the time. “And it was a really good thing for me personally. You can be incredibly empowered because of those things. So I guess what I’d say is when the bad shit happens, don’t fear it — just go with it, flow with it.”

In an interview with Harper’s Bazaar in 2014, Hathaway said the backlash she faced after the Oscars made it feel like she “got punched in the gut.” The actress added she was left “shocked” and “embarrassed” by the hatred at the time, going so far as adding, “Even now I can feel the shame.”

Hathaway next stars in the romance “The Idea of You,” streaming May 2 on Amazon Prime Video. Head over to Vanity Fair’s website to read Hathaway’s cover story in its entirety.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 29, 2024 11:14 AM

I’m back to really enjoying her again. I thought she was magnificent “WeCrashed” and should have received Emmy attention for it.

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2024 3:55 PM

[quote] “I really don’t want to dredge up the past but I did have my monster out there, I did have the internet turn on me and hate me and it was like a whole big thing,” Hathaway said at the time.

[quote] “And it was a really good thing for me personally. You can be incredibly empowered because of those things. So I guess what I’d say is when the bad shit happens, don’t fear it — just go with it, flow with it.”

This is why we hate her.

The bitch sounds painfully unaware of how obnoxious she sounds.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2024 3:58 PM

She's an okay actress. She's no Cate Blanchett

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2024 3:59 PM

I was so pleased when reading the original NYT review of The Devil Wears Prada where they praised everyone's performance except hers- calling her BLAND throughout the movie and insincere.

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2024 4:00 PM

R2 she actually does sound very aware of how she puts people off, but what is she supposed to do about it? Dwell? The hatred toward her has more to do with those individuals; she's harmless and a good egg.

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2024 4:02 PM

She has a gay brother and is also extremely gay-friendly.

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2024 4:06 PM

Um people hated her before the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2024 4:08 PM

She should’ve won for Rachel Getting Married instead.

by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2024 4:11 PM

I agree R8. All she did was sing a couple of songs and die.

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2024 4:14 PM

R9 Amy Adams should’ve won for The Master

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2024 4:18 PM

She really is beautiful, and I like the way she is aging.

by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2024 4:22 PM

She was just so ugly with short hair.

by Anonymousreply 12March 25, 2024 4:23 PM

This is what Chelsea Clinton would look like if she were pretty. Both she and AnnE have small heads but big facial features. It works better on AnnE.

by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2024 4:25 PM

I wanted Sally Field to win the year Anne Hathaway won for Les Miz.

by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2024 4:31 PM

It came true.

by Anonymousreply 15March 25, 2024 4:34 PM

Now I can’t even recall what she did that caused the backlash.

by Anonymousreply 16March 25, 2024 4:42 PM

She was an adult theater kid on steroids leading up to her Oscar and went way overboard in her tactics, including "accidentally" showing her snatch. She was widely mocked because she was insufferable and oversaturated, but deadliest of all, obvious. Good for her for going away for a while, but she brings this up every couple of years when she has to do press for a film as if it happened to her and was not a consequence of how nutty she was acting during that time. I think it is just laziest on behalf or her PR, i.e., they need to find her new talking points.

by Anonymousreply 17March 25, 2024 5:24 PM

Then we gays turned on her for the pointy-nipples dress she wore to the Oscars.

If only we could take it all back - -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 25, 2024 5:54 PM

Wasn’t the pointy nipple dress a last-minute substitution? Something went wrong with her original dress. Not sure why I’m remembering this.

by Anonymousreply 19March 25, 2024 5:57 PM

She’s the movie star version of Taylor Swift.

by Anonymousreply 20March 25, 2024 6:02 PM

Welp, the "internet was mean to me" talking point wasn't trending well, on to the next pity point. (Released to multiple outlets within the last hour.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 25, 2024 6:04 PM

R19: That little cunt Amanda Seyfried stole my look. Hence, I ended up wearing this ugly piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 22March 25, 2024 6:04 PM

R17: Adult theater kid on steroids. I was there.

by Anonymousreply 23March 25, 2024 6:07 PM

Her latest angle with bringing this all up again is to tie it to Christopher Nolan. She is using SEO to make her name appears when people search for Nolan who is red hot right now. No matter that the last time he cast her was a decade ago. Wonder how all the other directors who gave her roles at that time (and there were more than a few according to IMDB) feel about Nolan being her angel?

by Anonymousreply 24March 25, 2024 6:10 PM

She's doing all this introspection and publicity for The Idea of You, a shitty lifetime movie?

by Anonymousreply 25March 25, 2024 6:13 PM

So not unlike the pre Oscar behavior of Jamie Lee Curtis?

by Anonymousreply 26March 25, 2024 6:15 PM

[quote]Hathaway was widely mocked online at this time, and she once remembered googling herself after the Oscar win only to see one of the top search results was an article with the title: “Why does everyone hate Anne Hathaway?”

That’s hilarious. She was incredibly unlikable. Meghan Markle has now replaced her as world’s most obnoxious woman.

by Anonymousreply 27March 25, 2024 6:16 PM

Please die r27, dripping your anti Meghan saliva all over this thread, which has jack shit to do with Anne Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 28March 25, 2024 6:19 PM

She seems like she is self aware.

by Anonymousreply 29March 25, 2024 6:19 PM

AnnE after being cast in “The Idea of You”, a crap-looking, sub-Hallmark movie…

by Anonymousreply 30March 25, 2024 9:33 PM

[quote] She has a gay brother and is also extremely gay-friendly.

That doesn't make her any less annoying.

by Anonymousreply 31March 25, 2024 9:41 PM

I like her as an actress. However, I can barely get through reading an article about her because all of her quotes are therapy speak. Is her therapist also serving as her publicist?

by Anonymousreply 32March 25, 2024 10:14 PM

Lots of actresses dredging up their angst from years ago.

Enough!

by Anonymousreply 33March 25, 2024 11:04 PM

She wasn't popular after her Oscar win, but lots of actresses have trouble getting roles after winning. It's literally called the 'Oscar curse'.

She won at the tale end of her ingenue years. Win or no, things probably would have slid anyway. She doesn't have comedic chops nor anything else truly unique that propels some actresses in their later years.

by Anonymousreply 34March 25, 2024 11:41 PM

[quote] She won at the tale end of her ingenue years

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2024 1:38 AM

The frauen must be her stans because men- gay or straight- don't respond to her.

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2024 2:33 AM

EVERYONE HATES HATHAWAY.

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2024 3:24 AM

Remember the egg incident? She’s just giving them more reasons to hate her.

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2024 3:32 AM

[quote]r19 Wasn’t the pointy nipple dress a last-minute substitution? Something went wrong with her original dress. Not sure why I’m remembering this.

She had a designer dress picked out a month early… then the day before the awards was informed another actress had worn this same dress to another event.

Shaken by the news, Anne picked a Valentino dress… only to have Amanda Seyfried show her a pic of HER dress that night at the Oscar rehearsal. Poor Anne: the dresses seemed too similar to her!

So the next day Prada sent over the pointy nipples dress without doing a fitting, and Anne ended up with … pointy nipples.

I somehow have trouble feeling bad for her. Didn’t she have a long black dress in her closet she could have pulled out?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2024 4:45 AM

I prefer her over Emily Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2024 4:50 AM

Her Wikipedia page is exhaustively detailed for a relatively young actress. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone else with an “Explanatory Notes” section. Therapist/Publicist/AnnE herself at work?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2024 5:34 AM

I will take her over Emma Watson. Or Carey Mulligan.

by Anonymousreply 42March 26, 2024 12:33 PM

Amen. Although, time is taking care of Anne and Emma as they mostly fallen off the map. The industry is still pushing Carey hard. She's a decent actress - better than Anne and Emma - just plain as the dickens.

by Anonymousreply 43March 26, 2024 1:11 PM

I thought she was the Tasmanian Devil. Turns out she’s just a drunk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 26, 2024 1:17 PM

I used to think her Oscar win was terrible until the following year where Lupita Nyong'o won for three minutes of picking cotton.

by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2024 1:19 PM

Anne Hathaway is such a classic beauty. So many of these Hollywood gals are deemed beautiful but she actually is. And a fine actor too.

Brooklyn stand up!

by Anonymousreply 46March 26, 2024 1:30 PM

[QUOTE] I used to think her Oscar win was terrible until the following year where Lupita Nyong'o won for three minutes of picking cotton.

I’m not entirely sure that you’ve seen the film if you think that this is all Lupita did on-screen.

by Anonymousreply 47March 26, 2024 2:21 PM

R47 just an excuse to get a racial slur in. It’s Datalounge, after all. It is to aging, entitled white sissies as the Serengeti is to scorpions.

by Anonymousreply 48March 26, 2024 2:29 PM

I've never understood the hate she gets. She's no more insufferable than most actresses and a less than many.

by Anonymousreply 49March 26, 2024 2:37 PM

Lupita is effortlessly ethereal. She exudes class and grace and did an amazing job in 12 Years.

Anne is talented enough, but she was propelled partially by luck and circumstance. The Princess Diaries got her TDWP, which propelled her name even though she was clearly the weak link amongst Streep, Tucci and Blunt - and Brokeback, again outperformed by Ledger to the point of being forgettable. That got her Rachel Getting Married, which was truly a great performance. That got her Les Miz + right place, right age. But, does anyone remember Les Miz for her performance or for Jackman? The she got Interstellar - who would even remember she was in this if not reminded? She's has a ton of stinkers in her bio plus her laughable turn as Catwoman (what the hell was she thinking taking a role that has had so many iconic performances by other actresses?).

Rachel might be the only role in which she really stood out. Even in the Princess Diaries she played second fiddle to Andrews and Elizondo. She just doesn't register and should feel grateful for all the success she has had.

by Anonymousreply 50March 26, 2024 5:00 PM

R50 You sound like an idiot. How the hell was she outperformed by Ledger when have no scenes together and she is Gyllenhaal’s characters wife. She played her part actually quite brilliantly. All 4 leads were very very good in BM.

by Anonymousreply 51March 26, 2024 5:16 PM

[quote] Anne Hathaway Was Told She Had Zero Sex Appeal in Hollywood, but She Refused to Listen: ‘I’m a Scorpio. I Know What I’m Like on a Saturday Night’

Anne Hathaway revealed in her new Vanity Fair cover story that she was told she had zero sex appeal when she was a young actor just starting out in Hollywood. Not that she ever bought into the claim: “I was like, ‘I’m a Scorpio. I know what I’m like on a Saturday night,’” she said.

Hathaway started her career as a teenager, filming her breakout role in Disney’s “The Princess Diaries” when she was 17 years old. She said the cultural definition of what it means to be sexy was much more narrow during her early days of Hollywood stardom than it is now.

“The male gaze was very dominant and very pervasive and very juvenile,” Hathaway said, noting that she her feelings are far more important in the film and television business nowadays than her physical appearance.

Hathaway’s latest role is that of single mother Solène in “The Idea of You.” The film is based on the bestselling novel of the same name from Robinne Lee and centers on the blossoming and unexpected romance between 40-year-old Solène and the 24-year-old lead singer of the world’s hottest boy band (played in the film by Nicholas Galitzine). Hathaway was drawn to the film because it shows it’s never too late for a woman to come of age. The film is also sex positive.

“It’s not like one healthy, consensual female orgasm (okay, multiple) is going to change the world,” Hathaway wrote in a note to Vanity Fair, “but I’m really happy to be part of a story that takes pleasure in female pleasure.”

“The Idea of You” premiered to strong reviews out of SXSW. Variety‘s Peter Debruge wrote in his review: “Hathaway’s rockin’ single-mom character doesn’t need a boyfriend, much less a boy-band fling to fulfill her. But her on-and-off romance with Nicholas Galitzine’s smitten pop star feels like one for the ages… the chemistry between Hathaway and Galitzine feels real.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 26, 2024 6:10 PM

[QUOTE] You sound like an idiot. How the hell was she outperformed by Ledger when have no scenes together

I’m not the person to whom you were directing this, but Heath and AnnE did indeed have a scene together. Their phone call scene which is probably her best moment in the film.

by Anonymousreply 53March 26, 2024 6:26 PM

Call me when she’s at my level of desperation.

by Anonymousreply 54March 26, 2024 6:39 PM

[quote]R52 Hathaway noted that her feelings are far more important in the film and television business nowadays than her physical appearance.

Yes, because that’s what Hollywood is built on. Feelings.

by Anonymousreply 55March 26, 2024 6:41 PM

She has screen charisma and she’s finally stopped acting like she’s “Ben Platt’s theater geek older sister who watches drag queens endlessly in her free time” schtick, which was annoying. None of her contemporaries have anywhere near as much Hollywood glamour as she does (Carey Mulligan, plastic and flat Emily Cunt, flat chested Emma Stone, fattie fat Reese Witherspoon, Rachel McAdams, Saorise Ronan, fugly Florence Puke, overrated Scarlett Johansson, shorty Natalie Portman). Hathaway, Nicole Kidman, Margot Robbie, and Jessica Chastain are the only female stars that can be considered Hollywood sirens.

by Anonymousreply 56March 26, 2024 7:02 PM

Hi, AnnE's gay brother at R56!!

Welcome to Datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 57March 26, 2024 7:04 PM

In what universe is Reese fat?

by Anonymousreply 58March 26, 2024 7:06 PM

R56 Are you the Sydney Sweeney troll?

by Anonymousreply 59March 26, 2024 7:06 PM

I never understood why all of the sudden everyone disliked her so much. She's a great actress, and so pretty, too.

by Anonymousreply 60March 26, 2024 7:09 PM

Emmy Rossum took AnnE's place, after her downfall.

Same looks, except younger.

And less ego/attitude.

Bigger tits, too. And she wasn't afraid to show 'em off!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 26, 2024 7:14 PM

R56 here, I forgot Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts. They both look like they have penises. The testosterone is getting to be even more pronounced in their 50’s. Box office poison Cate Blanchett resembles a librarian and Jennifer Lawrence is more mall food court employee than Hollywood siren.

by Anonymousreply 62March 26, 2024 7:26 PM

Who? Never heard of her. She took no one’s place.

by Anonymousreply 63March 26, 2024 7:27 PM

R61, Emmy Rossum is a nobody. She married well and is now a Hollywood director’s wife.

by Anonymousreply 64March 26, 2024 7:32 PM

Emmy Rossum?? Oh honey. No.

by Anonymousreply 65March 26, 2024 7:33 PM

R58, Reese is short and dumpy. She’s no Bridgett Everett, but there’s a reason Hollywood has her keep her clothes on!

by Anonymousreply 66March 26, 2024 7:35 PM

Zendaya is a siren. She was best dressed at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 67March 26, 2024 8:00 PM

[quote]R62 I forgot Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts. They both look like they have penises. The testosterone is getting to be even more pronounced in their 50’s.

“Are you a boy or a girl?”

“It’s a fair question.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 26, 2024 8:31 PM

I detested her on sight. That attitude!

by Anonymousreply 69March 26, 2024 8:50 PM

[quote]So not unlike the pre Oscar behavior of Jamie Lee Curtis?

God, no. AnnE wasn't nearly as bad as JLC.

by Anonymousreply 70March 26, 2024 9:24 PM

[quote]I've never understood the hate she gets. She's no more insufferable than most actresses and a less than many.

She has some innate quality that just makes her repellent. People automatically find her unlikable, even if they don’t know much about her.

She’s the exact opposite of Jennifer Aniston, who everybody just finds immediately likable.

by Anonymousreply 71March 26, 2024 9:27 PM

That’s actually why I liked her performance in “WeCrashed” so much. She played an ultimately rather ordinary woman without a central passion who was fame-adjacent to others (her husband, her cousin Gwyneyh Paltrow, etc.) and not really anything g special on her own. Anne somehow (perhaps partly because of just who she is), knew exactly how to play that and nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 72March 26, 2024 10:03 PM

For as annoying & pretentious as Goop is, she seems to find a way to laugh at herself too, like she's in on the joke. I'm guessing part of AH's problem is that she's humorless & can't just laugh the whole episode off as "yeah, there was a time I was insufferable, but Mother Nature eventually put me right in place - and my tits in some other place"(or something like that). Instead, she. just re-hashes an episode that most people don't even recall.

by Anonymousreply 73March 26, 2024 11:32 PM

Whoever posted that Anne is name dropping Christopher Nolan for the sake of attention, is correct.

It looks like her Brokeback co-star Jake Gyllenhaal is doing the same:

[quote] Jake Gyllenhaal Says It’s ‘Pretty Cool’ That Christopher Nolan Personally Called to Say He Lost Batman Role: It Motivated Me to ‘Just Keep Going’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 27, 2024 3:50 AM

Her face annoys me.

by Anonymousreply 75March 27, 2024 5:29 AM

[quote] Anne Hathaway had a miscarriage while acting as a pregnant woman onstage

Anne Hathaway has recounted a difficult moment in her journey to motherhood, saying she suffered a miscarriage in 2015 while acting in a play where she had “to give birth onstage every night.”

“The first time it didn’t work out for me. I was doing a play and I had to give birth onstage every night,” the Oscar-winning actress and mother-of-two said in an interview with Vanity Fair published Monday.

Her miscarriage occurred during a six-week run of the one-woman off-Broadway show “Grounded,” according to Vanity Fair.

Hathaway said she “had to keep it real” with her friends when they would visit her backstage after performances. “It was too much to keep it in when I was onstage pretending everything was fine.”

“So when it did go well for me, having been on the other side of it — where you have to have the grace to be happy for someone — I wanted to let my sisters know, ‘You don’t have to always be graceful. I see you and I’ve been you,’” she continued, welling up.

“It’s really hard to want something so much and to wonder if you’re doing something wrong,” she added.

The 41-year-old, who said she has become gentler since becoming a mother, has two children with husband Adam Shulman.

When announcing her pregnancy with her second child in 2019, she wrote in an Instagram post, “It’s not for a movie…#2,” adding: “All kidding aside, for everyone going through infertility and conception hell, please know it was not a straight line to either of my pregnancies. Sending you extra love.”

Commenting on that moment, the “Les Misérables” star said, “Given the pain I felt while trying to get pregnant… it would’ve felt disingenuous to post something all the way happy when I know the story is much more nuanced than that for everyone.”

“I wasn’t going to feel ashamed of something that seemed to me statistically to actually be quite normal,” she added.

About 10% to 20% of known pregnancies end in miscarriage, and the actual figure is likely higher, according to the Mayo Clinic.

Hathaway said she was shocked to learn that many of her friends had gone through similar experiences.

“Why are we feeling so unnecessarily isolated? That’s where we take on damage. So I decided that I was going to talk about it,” she said. “The thing that broke my heart, blew my mind, and gave me hope was that for three years after, almost daily, a woman came up to me in tears and I would just hold her, because she was carrying this [pain] around and suddenly it wasn’t all hers anymore.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 27, 2024 6:22 AM

Uh O. Get em Anne. She had to keep it real.

Don’t you just love when millenial yuppie hoes have to keep it real uh 🙄.

by Anonymousreply 77March 27, 2024 7:25 AM

All that shit she wrote in R76 about how she had a miscarriage. This is why people hate her. Get over yourself.

by Anonymousreply 78March 27, 2024 12:10 PM

Was she homeschooled? Seems like she has no ability to relate to others, like most of the people I know who were homeschooled as children.

by Anonymousreply 79March 27, 2024 2:43 PM

She should never give another interview.

by Anonymousreply 80March 27, 2024 3:46 PM

Stop making fun of Shakespeare's wife

by Anonymousreply 81March 27, 2024 5:03 PM

[quote]Was she homeschooled? Seems like she has no ability to relate to others, like most of the people I know who were homeschooled as children.

She graduated from Milburn HS in NJ, which is one of the top public schools there. Then went on to Vassar but didn't finish.

She's not stupid, but is very verbose and formal in her speech and manner. A bit nervous/anxious too, that comes across. I think she has a ton of esteem issues, like many actresses, but doesn't have the tough exterior armor to handle them as well. She can come across as mannered and self-concious.

by Anonymousreply 82March 27, 2024 11:04 PM

I too like her as an actress. In the Ocean film she stole the movie from Blantchett, Bulock et al.

That sais, she is insufferable. Not to the point of avoiding her movies (i now can’t see a movie with Elizabeth Moth for instance) but i avoid anything where she is interviewed. This is easier said than done, i saw clips of her live interview with Vanity fair and for some seconds wondered if it was a parody.

by Anonymousreply 83March 27, 2024 11:16 PM

InsufferablE

by Anonymousreply 84March 27, 2024 11:25 PM

She's terrific on the screen, she has true star quality. It's a shame that social media almost obliterated her.

by Anonymousreply 85March 27, 2024 11:59 PM

I think she’s a terrific actor and great in everything. She was hilarious in WeCrashed.

by Anonymousreply 86March 28, 2024 1:33 AM

Interviews badly, unless she's on a light talk show like Ellen or Kelly Clarkson, where her humor can show through. Aging backwards though, looks better and more attractive than she did in her 30s and in her 20s by a mile. Looks good in most clothes, fashionistas like Valentino loved her and Donatella has now apparently taken a shine to her and made her a muse.

by Anonymousreply 87March 28, 2024 3:37 AM

I never understood why people hated her. People were annoyed by her corny behavior but I didn’t realize it was that rough for her.

by Anonymousreply 88March 28, 2024 3:50 AM

I think she’s fine. Her performances aren’t that memorable to me, though. I only really remember her in The Devil Wears Prada, and that’s because she’s in so much of it.

She’s not exactly vibrant.

by Anonymousreply 89March 28, 2024 5:18 AM

Her sister Jane wasn’t a raving beauty, but she could pull dick sometimes from Uncle Jed

by Anonymousreply 90March 28, 2024 6:02 AM

She also had to deal with her criminal BF/ Husband. Producing companies/studios don't want that so they wouldn't hire her. The upskirt incident too. I like her and think she's a good actor but social media perception could kill a movie if your leading lady is problematic in their personal life.

by Anonymousreply 91March 28, 2024 7:17 AM

Can’t stand her. Giant mouthed theater dork.

by Anonymousreply 92March 28, 2024 7:47 AM

R87, she has no humour , that is mainly her problem, she takes herself too seriously. I don’t think thr detracts how fine an actress she actually is. We unfortunately love in a culture where actors and actresses not only have to act but be constantly interviewed, probed and have to pontificate on a lot of things. Is is a fine thread and one doesn’t do too well. She is not alone in this but she definitely doesn’t do it well.

by Anonymousreply 93March 29, 2024 12:41 AM

She’s not exaggerating. She was regularly eviscerated on DL in the early 2010’s.

by Anonymousreply 94March 29, 2024 1:10 AM

I really can’t stand her.

by Anonymousreply 95March 29, 2024 11:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!