Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I just watched LaLa Land for the first time, and it was surprisingly good

I'm not a fan of musicals, much less modern musicals.

Still, I was bored this weekend and it was one of the free movies on my "On Demand" cable service, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

The songs were not bad, and the acting was very good.

But the cinematography... that was just excellent. It portrayed Los Angeles in such a good light.

I've lived in LA, and let me tell you that this movie did it justice, and then some.

But by far, Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling were my favorite things about this movie.

I really can't imagine any other two actors in their roles (especially the original actors hired for the role - Miles Teller and Emma Watson).

What a nice reunion for both Emma and Ryan to be reunited again seven years later, at this year's Academy Awards.

With Emma winning again. And Ryan losing again. Lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2024 10:09 AM

I loved it when I saw it in theaters. (No idea if it holds up.)

It's what made me an Emma fan.

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2024 9:20 AM

It holds up. Great film.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2024 9:54 AM

I don't want to watch it because Gosling has a dumb standard facial expression.

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2024 10:05 AM

Shit. Grade F.

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2024 10:37 AM

[quote] I don't want to watch it because Gosling has a dumb standard facial expression.

Ryan Gosling is sexy as fuck in this movie, and his ass looks GREAT in those fitted pants he wears.

Ryan is like a modern day Gene Kelly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2024 3:29 PM

[quote] I don't want to watch it because Gosling has a dumb standard facial expression.

I think that's my favorite thing about Ryan Gosling.

He has so many "dumb facial expressions" that just make me smile.

He's a bit of a weirdo, which I like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2024 3:32 PM

A big disappointment. At the end I couldn’t understand why if their love was special why he didn’t go with her to Paris for a few months and return with her to pursue his jazz club. Neither career move was mutually exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2024 3:33 PM

How can you not love this face, R3?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2024 3:48 PM

Ryan Gosling is overrated as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2024 3:49 PM

And the winner is Moonlight.

But, yeah, I enjoyed La La Land.

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2024 3:54 PM

I liked him in Lars and the Real Girl. I can't think of anything else he stood out in. I admit I haven't seen this because it just didn't appeal to me, despite liking Emma Stone and having lived in LA for 3 years and growing up in Southern CA. Maybe others can chime in with Gosling favorite movies.

Probably also because anytime a movie gets over-hyped, it kind of turns me off to it and makes me not want to see it. Same thing happened with Avatar. Still haven't seen that one. He's getting to the over-saturated point for me.

by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2024 3:55 PM

How in the hell could Faye have gotten the Best Picture winner wrong?

She didn't even look at the card. She just blurted out, "LaLa Land."

That was so fucking weird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 25, 2024 7:45 PM

There's some things that work about it, but I just left the movie thinking it deteriorated the craft of the movie musical.

by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2024 8:21 PM

The opening song is fantastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2024 9:41 PM

Why didn't the producers use the actual singers in the opening musical scene for Lala Land?

The original singers are Angela Parrish and Sam Stone, but they aren't the two lead people who are dancing the opening number.

Here are the actual singers Angela and Sam doing Lala Land Live! at the Hollywood Bowl.

Angela is in the middle wearing yellow, and Sam is wearing the white shirt.

They must be so bummed that they weren't in the movie at all. Just their vocals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2024 8:48 AM

R15 sexism

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2024 10:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!