Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Am I the only one who found Feud: Capote vs Swans unwatchable?

Am I the only one who found this unwatchable?

Roast me if you must but this missed the mark in every way for me.

Zero character development (we were presumed to have known who these ladies were and the power they had). If I didn’t watch Real Housewives, Lee Radziwell would be a complete mystery to me. And the rest of them, outside of Babe and Truman are outside of my scope entirely.

That set work was appalling.

No cohesiveness to the entire series in terms of story lines - I mean…why no background on Bill sleeping with literally everyone but I guess that goes back to my first point.

I expected more from the fashions. My Grandma dressed better than that to go to the grocery store.

I want a redo from the perspective of the women - one that I can actually watch all episodes of…

I noped out on this around E4 because it was a total snooze fest. I guarantee the real stories were 1000x more salacious than what we were given.

In general, I think Ryan Murphy has lost the superpower he once had. Nip/Tuck is unmatched in watch-abilty as an example.

AHS was must see tv that I don’t even watch anymore…could someone be doing Feud better?

I appreciate the dialogue and vintage pics shared by this group but I don’t know that I’ve got it in me to sit through another season of this…

S1 could have been incredible but was marred by overacting and over- directing and lack of character development. You can’t just assume everyone is going to know the backstory on these characters and without the backstory the feud doesn’t matter.

by Anonymousreply 42April 28, 2024 6:42 AM

I really looked forward to it, and then I started watching it and I was so uninterested in everything. There was no character development, no real tension, just so much boring crap repeated over and over again in long monotonous conversations, and I kept hearing people talk about how much they were loving it, and a friend of mine was like, oh my god, isn’t the new season of Feud sooooo good, and I thought maybe it’s me? Maybe I’m not getting it or appreciating it, but I had all of the same takeaways as you OP and every episode felt more like a chore to watch than something I looked forward to.

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2024 4:28 AM

I saw this exact same post on Reddit. Did you copy and paste?

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2024 4:30 AM

I am a member of both communities R2.

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2024 4:31 AM

Also I live in Raleigh and my grandmother was part of the Southern genteel social set, and she dressed with more panache!

I expected more is all I can say. More mink, pearls, more Chanel. It’s like they went cheap on wardrobe, just like they did on the lackluster sets. Feels like the majority of the budget was spent on cigarettes for Naomi Watts.

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2024 4:34 AM

It was awful. The entirety of the “feud”was covered in the first episode and then it spent 7 episodes spinning its wheels and rehashing the same notes because it had no plot. It also took huge liberties with the story (the black and white ball wasn’t documented by the Maysles; Bill cheated but not with Babe’s friend Slim Keith; and don’t even get me started on the imaginary lunch with James Baldwin). The cast was full of famous actresses but they were all playing non-characters most of whom had no discernible personality beyond one trait each.

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2024 4:37 AM

That’s what I can’t fathom R5. Why take so many liberties when the true story is already so interesting?

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2024 4:40 AM

It was filled with Ryan Murphy inventions that happened only in his mind, but at least it was beautiful to look at.

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2024 4:42 AM

I gave up after the B/W ball episode. What a snooze.

by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2024 4:43 AM

And that was the best episode, R8. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2024 4:44 AM

It felt like the series began in the middle of the story it was trying to tell. In fact, as I watched the "first" episode, I wondered if I had missed earlier ones. Having grown up watching Capote appearing on TV in, for example, "The Dick Cavett Show," I thought Tom Hollander did a great job.

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2024 4:45 AM

I agree R10 the nonlinear timeline was a huge mistake and did a massive disservice to the story they were trying to tell. It was very confusing and difficult to keep track of when things were supposedly taking place.

Also, why was Truman’s adopted “daughter” still a teenager in the final scene at the auction? I thought surely it was a different actress but I went back and double checked, and it was her! She would have been in her 60s by that point?

by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2024 4:47 AM

It's primetime television.... involving people from the SILENT generation.

by Anonymousreply 12March 25, 2024 4:49 AM

I think the thing that irks me the most is how much time we spent in Truman’s alcohol induced fantasy land and how little time we spent getting to know the women. Such a waste of an incredible cast. They never let the swans, swan…

by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2024 4:51 AM

Cote Basque was THE place to be seen and yet in this show it had all the glamor and sexiness of a retirement home dining hall.

by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2024 4:54 AM

The topic of this show holds a very narrow, niche interest.

by Anonymousreply 15March 25, 2024 4:55 AM

R15 Perfect for the DL.

by Anonymousreply 16March 25, 2024 4:56 AM

La Côte Basque was a dump. In fact many "in" watering holes were dowdy before the 1980s upgraded everything. Elaine's was threadbare utilitarian. Ok the Grill Room of The Four Seasons was indeed glamorous but the professional men and women were there not the ladies who lunch.

by Anonymousreply 17March 25, 2024 5:48 AM

I watched the whole thing but only because I was waiting for something to happen. It never did.

by Anonymousreply 18March 25, 2024 6:03 AM

Inconsistent. I thought the show was interesting when it focused on Truman's romantic or emotional life and extremely boring when it focused on Babe Paley. I know she held a special place in Truman's heart but the show failed to make her interesting or special, imo. The clothes and sets were pretty eye-catching, I'm not sure what r4 was expecting. It wasn't on the level of Boardwalk Empire but they were probably working with 1/5 the budget. It didn't look like a cheap show.

by Anonymousreply 19March 25, 2024 6:24 AM

Really OP, does it matter? This poor attempt at entertainment was clearly written by two old fags who flamed higher across the sky than JFK’s brains that day in Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 20March 25, 2024 6:27 AM

I wouldn't say 'unwatchable' but I would say forgettable. I felt no emotional engagement in the story or the characters. Happy? Sad? Angry? Dying? I just didn't care and it's not that hard to hook me in. It was a fail.

by Anonymousreply 21March 25, 2024 6:43 AM

I won't watch it because I can't be bothered with Ryan Murphy. But while there's enough of a resemblance in makeup and hair, Naomi Watts is far too attractive to play Babe Paley....who was not beautiful at all. Not inside. Not out. She was as neglectful as Conald's mother was to her children. Possibly even moreso.

by Anonymousreply 22March 25, 2024 7:34 AM

My straight female friends are living it because it’s all new to them. I’ve read all the Capote biographies and Answered Prayers. It would be redundant for me to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 23March 25, 2024 11:42 AM

[quote]What bird dies when its companion dies? The swan. The swan will ocassionally drop itself through a forked branch to commit suicide either breaking it's neck or strangling if it has been mated for a long time and loses it's mate. They have also been seen to drown themselves, that was captured on camera once.

by Anonymousreply 24March 25, 2024 9:15 PM

OP: Yes, you're the only one.

by Anonymousreply 25March 25, 2024 10:20 PM

My question is from the first episode. Did that mistress have her period or had she been stabbed in the abdomen? Granted, I’ve never seen a woman menstruating up close but Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 26March 25, 2024 10:31 PM

Yes it was unwatchable. I quit after 3 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 27March 25, 2024 10:59 PM

It felt like it was happening in real time. I’ve read all of Capote and still found this tedious.

by Anonymousreply 28March 25, 2024 11:02 PM

[quote]Also I live in Raleigh and my grandmother was part of the Southern genteel social set, and she dressed with more panache!

In name brand tobacco sacks?

by Anonymousreply 29March 25, 2024 11:12 PM

You’re not funny R29.

by Anonymousreply 30March 26, 2024 9:02 AM

Agree with all the comments about the first one or two episodes being ok but it became hard to watch after that.

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2024 10:58 AM

Tom Hollander was wonderful in the revival of Travesties on Broadway a number of years ago. In this, the writing and directing reduced his character to mimicry of a person played in much more interesting ways by Robert Morse, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Toby Jones. I blame the script, direction, and production—there’s only so much Hollander could do with this dross. And the Swans simply didn’t merit our attention—Sevigny as Guest at least created a likable, human person. The others were upscale, indistinguishable Stepford Wives.

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2024 12:17 PM

Hollander's performance was incredible and made it all worth it. It's rare to see an actor submerge themselves into character so completely.

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2024 2:15 PM

Murphy is spread thin, for sure, but I also think some of the fault lies with Baitz, ponderous in even his best work.

by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2024 2:18 PM

[quote] either breaking it's neck

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2024 2:19 PM

Naomi Watts was positively brilliant. I was awe struck by her performance.

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2024 2:25 PM

[quote] some of the fault lies with Baitz, ponderous in even his best work.

I'll never forget Baitz's angry screed when he was booted from Brothers & Sisters. I understand him being upset, but the version of the show he described wanting to make sounded terrible.

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2024 2:54 PM

This finally made it to the other side of the Atlantic. Huge disappointment. I look forward to the Swans story being told by people who actually care about the material.

by Anonymousreply 38April 28, 2024 5:16 AM

It was a fail. A total and complete flop.

by Anonymousreply 39April 28, 2024 5:58 AM

R5 got it right. I thought Hollander and Watts were terrific and was glad to see Demi Moore looking so good but felt Molly Ringwald was poor casting for Joanne Carson.

by Anonymousreply 40April 28, 2024 6:12 AM

Is there going to be a season 2?

by Anonymousreply 41April 28, 2024 6:34 AM

Despite a surprising volume of positive reviews, the AV Club had this show's number.

[quote]It’s yet another glossy, glassy production by Ryan Murphy (American Horror Story, Nip/Tuck, Monster), compelling as melodrama but unsatisfying as a study of actual humans. This is a brisk, bitchy eight hours of bitter eye candy that feels like about 120 minutes of consequential content.

[quote]If you’re hoping for potent character observation or social satire—anything approaching about 50 percent of what Capote put in print—you may feel as starved as a ’60s socialite approaching resort season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 28, 2024 6:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!