Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cute Twink Ilia Malinin wins the World Figure Skating Title!

For every other figure-skater, landing a quadruple axel lies outside the realms of possibilities, attempted but never accomplished by an endless parade of skating greats.

For American teenage prodigy Ilia Malinin though, they are simply part of his routine. And landing one on Saturday propelled him to his first ever world title after a record-breaking performance in the free skate at the World Figure Skating Championship.

The 19-year-old – who is nicknamed the ‘quad god’ – was sitting in third place after the short program on Thursday, telling reporters afterwards that he was suffering with physical and mental challenges in the build-up to these world championships.

Then, on Saturday, he was drawn last to compete in the free skate and produced a dazzling performance to score 227.79, the highest ever score in this competition, before collapsing onto the ice with emotion.

“It means so much to me,” Malinin said afterwards, according to the International Skating Union. “The last few weeks were such a mental and physical challenge to go through.

“I was even debating whether I should come here or not. It was the last minute, but I wanted to come here to see what I can put out on the ice. I am so glad to be here on top right now.”

Skating to music from the TV series “Succession,” Malinin opened his free skate with a quadruple axel, before landing five more quad jumps in front of crowd stunned in disbelief.

He is still the only man to land the quadruple axel.

He won by a staggering 24 points, ahead of Japan’s Kagiyama Yuma in second place and France’s Adam Siao Him Fa in third, who rose from 19th place after the short program.

“There was a little voice in my head: ‘No matter what, you have to keep fighting, keep going, no matter how bad you feel you just have to know that you’re capable of,’” Malinin added, per the Olympics.

His gold medal was the US’s second at this World Championships after Madison Chock and Evan Bates won the ice dance earlier on Saturday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 2, 2024 1:04 PM

Hey, can I get a good look at those knees?

by Anonymousreply 1March 24, 2024 8:22 PM

That's quite an achievement at age 19.

by Anonymousreply 2March 24, 2024 8:24 PM

Here's his freeskate. Highest scores ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 24, 2024 8:24 PM

Now that is one talented homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 4March 24, 2024 8:30 PM

He’s a little too precious…even for me.

by Anonymousreply 5March 24, 2024 8:30 PM

I think she's tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 6March 24, 2024 8:34 PM

Fag.

by Anonymousreply 7March 24, 2024 10:53 PM

Did he immigrate to the US from Russia?

With a name like that....

by Anonymousreply 8March 24, 2024 11:18 PM

Parents were from Uzbekistan, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 9March 24, 2024 11:27 PM

Ilia's dad is a hottie.

by Anonymousreply 10March 24, 2024 11:36 PM

Meh, R10.

His parents look like typical Russians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 24, 2024 11:40 PM

This is an interesting costume for Ilia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 24, 2024 11:42 PM

R11. High forehead in that shot.

by Anonymousreply 13March 24, 2024 11:47 PM

Cynthia Nixon is DYING to play him in the Lifetime Original Movie.

by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2024 1:00 AM

He made it look easy. Is he a confirmed homosexualist?

by Anonymousreply 15March 25, 2024 1:16 AM

Thrilling and impressive free skate. But if understand correctly, he named himself the Quad God. He gets a mandatory deduction for that bit of egoism.

by Anonymousreply 16March 25, 2024 1:40 AM

Cute?

by Anonymousreply 17March 25, 2024 1:41 AM

His mother is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 18March 25, 2024 2:14 AM

[quote] Cute?

Only by virtue of being a blond twink.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 25, 2024 2:35 AM

Anyone who thinks he’s cute needs to have their eyes checked for cataracts.

by Anonymousreply 20March 25, 2024 2:55 AM

Ilia is 1,000,000 times more attractive than those two ugly dogs on either side of him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 25, 2024 2:57 AM

Why was there a World Championships in 2024, when there is also going to be an Olympics in 2024?

I thought that "Worlds" aren't held in years with an Olympic games?

by Anonymousreply 22March 25, 2024 4:54 PM

Summer and Winter are staggered, R22. Winter in 2026 in Milano/Cortina

by Anonymousreply 23March 25, 2024 5:39 PM

Yup, they've been staggered for, what, 20 years or so now?

Summer Olympics this year, Winter in 2026

by Anonymousreply 24March 25, 2024 5:50 PM

There is always a Worlds competition, even in winter Olympic years, although many skaters opt not to attend after the Olys since they may need a break.

by Anonymousreply 25March 25, 2024 6:22 PM

r22=Rip Van Winkle

by Anonymousreply 26March 25, 2024 10:14 PM

Lol, I read “Ozempic Games.”

by Anonymousreply 27March 25, 2024 11:10 PM

His parents are former Olympic figure skaters for Uzbekistan

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2024 4:14 AM

I hope Russian papa is proud of his gay son!

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2024 4:18 AM

The Ozempic Olympic Games. I see that coming,;sponsorship actually co-opting the title. I couldn’t believe when they started calling it Lucas Oil AQHA World Championship Show.

by Anonymousreply 30March 26, 2024 8:10 AM

[quote]Cute?

Only by virtue of being cute.

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2024 12:31 PM

I'm getting prissy but insatiable bottom vibes from him.

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2024 12:48 PM

Watching this made me cry.

I love to see excellence in any field, and this kid just broke the motherfucking sound barrier.

He's unbelievable.

Congratulations to Ilia AND his parents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 28, 2024 5:14 AM

His Scores From the Judges:

Singer: 7

Spacey: 8

Epstein: 7

Diddy: Call Me!!! 555-6754

by Anonymousreply 34March 28, 2024 6:23 AM

The uber-twink.

His daddy is totally masc hot.

The video of R33 is a historic performance and will be replayed forever, like John Curry's Olympic skate in 1976.

by Anonymousreply 35March 28, 2024 6:28 AM

Upon watching the video at R33, I've changed my mind.

Ilia's dad is actually pretty hot.

In an average guy kind of way.

by Anonymousreply 36March 28, 2024 8:27 AM

Holy shit. Figure skating is definitely in an ebb when DL only has 36 replies for this historic performance.

by Anonymousreply 37April 1, 2024 1:37 AM

His dad is a DILF

by Anonymousreply 38April 1, 2024 1:46 AM

I'll add a reply.

It was stunning. Technically. I've seen more creative, but on balance it was still stunning.

by Anonymousreply 39April 1, 2024 1:48 AM

I'll pings from space.

by Anonymousreply 40April 1, 2024 1:48 AM

Correction: I'll bet he pings from space.

by Anonymousreply 41April 1, 2024 1:48 AM

Less so in black than in the red and blue number he used to wear.

by Anonymousreply 42April 1, 2024 2:04 AM

Very fucking cute and amazingly talented, but girlfriend’s hairline is going to require frequent maintenance.

by Anonymousreply 43April 1, 2024 2:21 AM

Ilia once had to take "sensitivity training" at the behest of USFS, on account of his gay jokes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 1, 2024 3:56 AM

For those curious what he said:

“Ilia, do you need to prove you’re straight?”

Malinin: “What? What?”

Q: “Are you straight?”

Malinin: “Bro, you know, let’s be honest, I can’t be straight anymore because I need those (artistic) component scores up, you know. I gotta say that I’m not straight, that way my components are gonna go up.”

by Anonymousreply 45April 1, 2024 4:05 AM

BTW, that was a year ago, he apologized, and I think it's more revealing of the general thinking of those around him in terms of the judging than anything else. The truth is his "artistic" scores now will be much higher than they were a year ago regardless of what he skates to, because he's the US number one and a world champion. Reputation is a big factor in the PCS mark even though it is not supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 46April 1, 2024 4:11 AM

I have that same t shirt he used as his outfit.

by Anonymousreply 47April 1, 2024 7:12 AM

R36, there's a longer Figure Skating thread here where the whole World Championships were discussed:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 1, 2024 7:59 AM

Whoops, I meant R37.

by Anonymousreply 49April 1, 2024 8:00 AM

His free skate is EXTREMELY impressive. Manages to be very artistic while also being incredibly athletic. His jumps are amazing and flawless. One of the best US male skaters I’ve ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 50April 1, 2024 1:01 PM

Somebody as young as he is would be VERY aware, not only that it isn't cool to make fag jokes, but of the issues surrounding skating and assumed sexuality of the skater, and the drive to eliminate effeminate costumes and moves.

I don't buy his apology for a second. He can't possibly be that dumb or naive. And posting pictures of himself with Jason Brown immediately after was calculated and crass.

Jason was probably kinder, but if I had been Jason, i would have told Ilia to go fuck himself and that "I can't be homophobic I have a gay friend" doesn't wash anymore.

by Anonymousreply 51April 1, 2024 1:17 PM

Jason Brown would never turn down a photo op.

by Anonymousreply 52April 1, 2024 2:35 PM

Daddy is definitely a DILF. He also looks a lot cooler and more relaxed than I'd normally expect a dad from the USSR to be, but he did move to the USA in his 20s (I think), so he's had plenty of time to adjust to our ways. LOL.

Anyway, I MUCH prefer Ilia to Nathan Chen. I don't care about Nathan's better port de bras, because he was boring as hell and his programs were dull. While he's no GOAT Hanyu in terms of technical/artistry combo, this guy pushes himself by doing all sorts of cool tricks (not just difficult quads) on his social media and it's so nice to see. I hope he doesn't start to overthink things, because his attitude right now is obviously a winner. His mind is so right he's even able to watch his opponents skate!

by Anonymousreply 53April 1, 2024 4:29 PM

As for Jason, he has great skating skills and good artistry, and he's consistent in terms of not falling on his ass, but he is definitely a judges' pet. And he's had some questionable jumps that got overlooked because of that. And to be honest, if you took his skill set and gave it to someone in a small fed, they would not be placing fifth at worlds. OK, maybe if he were Russian and they were still allowed to compete. But that's the same issue with the judging.

by Anonymousreply 54April 1, 2024 4:35 PM

[quote] His free skate is EXTREMELY impressive. Manages to be very artistic while also being incredibly athletic. His jumps are amazing and flawless. One of the best US male skaters I’ve ever seen.

Ilia has the best of both worlds.

Most American skaters have the technical skills, but they lack the artistry. Americans just don't compare to Russians, when it comes to ballet and figure skating.

Ilia is American born, so he has access to the best facilities to become a champion skater. But he also has his two parents as coaches, who were raised in the Soviet system of artistry.

That is a powerful combination from which Ilia has benefited.

by Anonymousreply 55April 1, 2024 5:02 PM

Ilia's may now be a DILF, but he was once a cute twink.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 1, 2024 10:35 PM

His dad's name is Roman Skorniakov?

Why is Ilia's last name Malinin?

by Anonymousreply 57April 1, 2024 10:37 PM

It’s a shame he’s so old.

by Anonymousreply 58April 1, 2024 10:38 PM

Dad looks damn good for almost 50.

He just turned 48.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 1, 2024 10:44 PM

Roman really was a cute twink.

Definitely better looking than Ilia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 1, 2024 10:45 PM

Sizemeat?

by Anonymousreply 61April 1, 2024 10:47 PM

R57, the parents thought that dad's last name would be too hard to pronounce for Americans. They knew their son would be a household name.

by Anonymousreply 62April 2, 2024 4:00 AM

Thanks R62.

Do you also happen to know why he goes by Malinin, and his mother's maiden name is Malinina?

Is it a language-gender type of thing, in Russian?

by Anonymousreply 63April 2, 2024 4:04 AM

R63, yes.

by Anonymousreply 64April 2, 2024 4:51 AM

Why are people surprised by Ilia’s homophobia? His parents are Russian.

by Anonymousreply 65April 2, 2024 1:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!