Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's talk about rock guitar solos, alright?

I've been spending a lot of time revisiting my youth on YouTube. Actually, a bit before I graduated. I mostly loved the Jam, Elvis Costello, and variations of new wave from all over except the "grandpa rock" which I'm now "re-discovering."

The best, most hearfelt musicians?

For me, it's between Joe Walsh and Don Felder on the classic Hotel California, live 1977 version. They never seemed to be dueling and were so seamlessly complementary and fun. Don Henley fortunately just kept time in the background.

and...

Jimmy Page at Led Zeppelin's Earl Court concerts was totally astonishing. Plant looked drunk and stupid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2024 3:49 PM

I like the "One of These Nights" (Eagles / Felder) guitar solo.

by Anonymousreply 1March 24, 2024 6:50 AM

When the Osmond started pushing fat Jimmy and another one, they’d allow them to torture the audience with a guitar solo.

I detest guitar solos almost as much as drum and tuba solos.

by Anonymousreply 2March 24, 2024 6:54 AM

Joe Walsh was high as fuck!

by Anonymousreply 3March 24, 2024 7:10 AM

Wrong slot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 24, 2024 7:11 AM

Terry Kath (Chicago) at Tanglewood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 24, 2024 9:04 AM

How déclassé.

by Anonymousreply 6March 24, 2024 9:44 AM

The Beatles "The End" trifecta. Paul still does it live. His band guys seem to enjoy it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 24, 2024 10:04 AM

“Do You Feel Like We Do” from the Frampton Comes Alive” album. The song is nicely peppered with riffs and mini solos throughout, but the real meat and potatoes comes at around the 11:05 mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2024 9:09 PM

Yes, it’s corny and overplayed but the solo at the end of Stairway to Heaven is luminous.

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2024 9:26 PM

R9, this is the best tutorial I’ve come across that demonstrates how Page played the “Stairway” solo. First comes the full solo, then a step-by-step breakdown. This guy is spot on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2024 3:44 AM

Duane Allman’s guitar solo on the Wilson Pickett version of “Hey Jude” gives me goosebumps. It starts at 2:54.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2024 3:56 AM

Didn’t Duane play the lead on Layla? ^^^

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2024 5:55 AM

Duane Allman may have been the best ever. Listen to his solo on one of his last ever performances of Blue Sky.

Dickie Betts isn't chopped liver either...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2024 6:48 AM

R12 I believe he did.

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2024 12:29 PM

Everything about this song is masterful, but especially Keith’s solo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2024 1:03 PM

I used to think the "Free Bird" solo was the greatest ever. But now I think it's needlessly long and repetitive. The ending goes on forever.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2024 3:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!