Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I Didn’t Get Out Of Bed Today

I didn’t get out of bed today except to shower, go to the bathroom, and eat. It’s been absolutely glorious.

Do you ever have weekends or days where you don’t get out of bed?

Part of is depression and stress I’m sure but part of it is comfort and a safe space.

by Anonymousreply 55March 26, 2024 11:30 PM

I’ve gotten out of bed, a little, to watch a movie in the living room with the spouse. Barely. I haven’t gone out of the house. Frankly, I’m tired and a day of doing absolutely nothing was in order.

by Anonymousreply 1March 24, 2024 3:45 AM

I'm retired now -that's every day!

by Anonymousreply 2March 24, 2024 3:45 AM

Pretty much my day. Only I'm horrifically hungover so was more by necessity than anything.

by Anonymousreply 3March 24, 2024 3:52 AM

One rainy weekend last month I got up to go to the bathroom around 5AM, got back in bed and said fuck it, I'm staying here all day. Some time later I looked at my phone expecting it to be 1 or 2PM but it wasn't even 9AM. I got up and took a shower.

I can spend a lazy day laying in a hammock or outdoor daybed, but I've only spent the day in [an indoor] bed doing nothing when I'm sick. Even in the throes of major depression, I'll get out of bed and lay on the couch.

by Anonymousreply 4March 24, 2024 3:59 AM

I used to do that after my dog died and i was drinking myself to passing out every night. Four months straight, but I stopped now.

by Anonymousreply 5March 24, 2024 4:00 AM

I slept in until 1pm (was up until 4am). Then, I cleaned my house, went for a walk and tried to lay back down just to relax and maybe drift off to sleep. Within an hour, I had to pee and hadn't fallen asleep so I just got up and said fuck it.

by Anonymousreply 6March 24, 2024 4:02 AM

After my Mom died two weeks ago, we had a rainy weekend and I got a stomach bug. I was like "FUCK YOU WORLD!" and I was in bed for 3-4 days. I needed it. It's how I heal.

by Anonymousreply 7March 24, 2024 4:04 AM

So very sorry for your losses, Rs 7 and 5. Hope you're doing better soon!

by Anonymousreply 8March 24, 2024 4:07 AM

I've done that before. It's glorious.

by Anonymousreply 9March 24, 2024 4:14 AM

Thanks R8. I'm doing better for sure. She was ready. I need to live my life with my husband now. It's what she would want.

- R7

by Anonymousreply 10March 24, 2024 4:15 AM

i didn’t stay in bed all day, but i slept in and didn’t do any of my normal saturday stuff like laundry. I took a nap, got started on laundry and the power went out. Took the stuff out of the dryer and hung on pants hangers: sheets and towels on pants hangers in my closet. luckily i have space. More laundry ‘soaking’ in the top loader.

i shouldn’t have tried to do laundry.

by Anonymousreply 11March 24, 2024 4:15 AM

Doing laundry sucks balls.

by Anonymousreply 12March 24, 2024 4:22 AM

yes, it does suck balls

by Anonymousreply 13March 24, 2024 4:25 AM

R11 That is absolutely a sign that you should do whatever your heart desires today. No chores.

by Anonymousreply 14March 24, 2024 4:31 AM

I'm home alone this weekend. I didn't get out of bed until 3 pm and then made popcorn for supper.

by Anonymousreply 15March 24, 2024 4:37 AM

I love this thread.

by Anonymousreply 16March 24, 2024 8:21 AM

Just ate breakfast (12:30) after staying in bed til noon. I think I'll make something chocolate for dessert tonight.

That's my agenda for the day!

by Anonymousreply 17March 24, 2024 7:35 PM

I can't seem to just stay in bed. So I migrate to my sofa and snuggle under blankets, getting up to toilet, drink tea, and eat things. It's wonderful. Being retired and living in a cold climate with unpredictable weather gives me the opportunity to do it as often as I like, and I do it a lot.

by Anonymousreply 18March 24, 2024 7:38 PM

I got out of bed at 1:20pm and am just now drinking my first of two cups of coffee. Then I shall eat something small for a breakfast/brunch snack and will head to dinner later with a friend. It's raining right now but the switch to my fireplace died last night so I will have to put in a work order for it to be fixed with my super.

by Anonymousreply 19March 24, 2024 8:48 PM

I've done this when I am overpowered from stress and work. It seems to be the only thing that brings me back to wanting to get something ... anything, accomplished. If I ever have an extremely busy weekend, couple physical days, the extra sleep and mental rest is the best way to bring me back.

by Anonymousreply 20March 24, 2024 9:37 PM

I'm an early riser, but sometimes it's nice to shower after dinner, get in bed early and watch movies.

by Anonymousreply 21March 24, 2024 9:46 PM

Battled a bad cough and cold all week because of work obligations. Dragged my ass home on Friday, made myself a huge stiff cocktail, took a sip … and threw it out. That’s how I knew how sick and wiped out I was. I NEVER throw out booze. Stayed in bed on Saturday during pouring rain, passing out and coming to. Ate some toast about 6:00 last night then right back to bed. It was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 22March 24, 2024 9:58 PM

Glad I'm not the only one.

by Anonymousreply 23March 24, 2024 10:52 PM

I'm so burned out from work that invites from friends and family are a big NO right now. I just want to stay home, putter, be in bed, walk and play with my dog and be left alone for the weekend. So yes, staying in bed all day seems glorious.

by Anonymousreply 24March 24, 2024 10:57 PM

I’m probably going to retire end of year -my job is going away. I’m afraid if I do retire I’ll just be in bed all day every day.

by Anonymousreply 25March 24, 2024 10:58 PM

You all sound FAT!

by Anonymousreply 26March 24, 2024 11:03 PM

How I envy you, Op.

All day bed-staying was a lifelong, frequent indulgence that helped this introvert time to recharge from, well, everything. But for the last decade I've taken care of my parents (Mom died 2018; Dad's still here at 96), the last 7 years full-time.

When you take care of elderly people with dementia and other serious health issues, lounging abed is impossible. There is no downtime or recharging at all, even when outside PCAs come in to allegedly relieve me.

My 60th birthday was yesterday, and from 10pm to after midnight my sisters and I were cleaning behind my bowel- and urinary incontinent Dad.

Happy birthday to meeeeeee!!!!

by Anonymousreply 27March 24, 2024 11:07 PM

Happy Birthday, R27! I hope you get to do something for yourself soon!

by Anonymousreply 28March 24, 2024 11:17 PM

Op, occasional days in bed are the height of luxury in my opinion. It can only be topped by a day in bed in an exotic vacation destination (preferably with the sound of the ocean).

I remember bing in Paris for the first time. I was enjoying the city but having a lazy morning where I jusr didn't get up until 1pm. I thought to myself, I'm here, alone, in Paris. Why do I feel shame or embarrassment for enjoying my hotel. So, I threw on some clothes, went across the street for for some pastries and a sandwich which I brought back up to my room to enjoy some Netflix till the sun went down. It was so relaxing and decadent to "waste" a day in Paris in my hotel.

Sometimes, you just need to recharge. Almost every time I leave the house I'm spending money. Sitting in bed is one luxury I can snag that cost me nothing but time while leaving me feeling refreshed. I loved being lazy in bed in Cancun, Hearing the ocean and letting the breeze in as ai relax. Uh, near perfection.

Back to Paris. The next day, I was back to hitting the museums and such, but I enjoyed my day in my hotel room with the Notre Dam visible from my window.

by Anonymousreply 29March 24, 2024 11:50 PM

I actually popped out of bed kind of early, but then had a chat with one of my siblings, got depressed, and took a nap.

Before the chat, I was fired up to get some things (cooking, tax stuff) done. After the chat, I was exhausted.

by Anonymousreply 30March 24, 2024 11:58 PM

Happy Birthday #27! I am taking care of my 87 year v old mom with terrible arthritis and dementia - she seems to be getting rapidly weaker. There is B no other family and I am feeling so worried, sad, mad, exhausted that o just want to escape into sleep. I find myself falling asleep earlier and earlier every night. The nice thing with that is I think it is time to get up and it is only 11:40! . I got her Blue Emu cream for her legs yesterday. I fell into a deep sleep until I woke up to her screaming that the cream I gave her made her sick …….. Yes - a day in bed in the rain sounds like heaven. Well - it is 4:59 pm - I think I will head of to bed soon ….

by Anonymousreply 31March 24, 2024 11:58 PM

Honestly, no, I’ve never been able to stay in bed all day - it would make me feel like I’m wasting the day but I imagine I’m in the minority. (I’m one of those annoying people who still wake up at the same time on the weekends.)

by Anonymousreply 32March 25, 2024 12:10 AM

I'm very fortunate: I retired by choice and am able to travel. There are great deals to be had if you can travel last-minute and/or during the off seasons. I do enjoy my morning lie-in though! I read the news and play a few games on my iPad, read my book, watch a few YouTube videos... When I do finally get up I'm in a mellow mood and ready to deal with the day. It's wonderful not to have your life ruled by a clock -alarum or otherwise!

by Anonymousreply 33March 25, 2024 12:31 AM

I'm so sorry R7. 🙏

by Anonymousreply 34March 25, 2024 12:43 AM

It's a young person's pleasure.

If you're not young, you're begging for trouble. Most seniors' digestive systems are set back three days by such laziness. You're begging for bloat, lassitude, flabbier arms and toadstools.

Chins up!

by Anonymousreply 35March 25, 2024 12:48 AM

Eh, r35...I'm about to turn 55 and I've been a night person my entire life starting from the time I could walk. I enjoy sleeping the day away and then staying up very late/early on the weekends. During the week, I work all day and then I work out every single day and I eat well. On the weekends, I give myself permission to indulge my night owl tendencies. Honestly, during the week, I stay up until 2 ish most nights.

I grew up with a mother constantly bursting into my room at 9am on the weekends SCREAMING at me to get the fuck out of bed. I was so happy to move the fuck away when I was 18.

by Anonymousreply 36March 25, 2024 12:53 AM

I was just joshing, OP/R36/et al. When one is one's own R1, the proper balance of things here goes awry and the goddess must be propitiated.

I'm older. I thoroughly enjoyed sleeping the day and living at night. My partner is a diurnal person, and I follow his schedule for convenience. But when I'm traveling or he is, within two days I revert to vampire-time.

by Anonymousreply 37March 25, 2024 1:07 AM

Keep it up OP. Can I have your things?

by Anonymousreply 38March 25, 2024 2:03 AM

Thanks, R28! Really, I'm grateful, and gladly accept your best wishes.

by Anonymousreply 39March 25, 2024 12:00 PM

Thanks, R31! And wooo boy, do I feel your pain.

It's all so terribly isolating, isn't it? All the time I see/hear comments comparing elder care to child-rearing, and I suppose it's true in a way--true if your child has multiple profound developmental disorders either congenital or acquired--disorders that are progressive and incurable. You cannot sit back and tell yourself "Wow, this was such a difficult day! But Johnny said "Papa! Mama! today--can you believe it! Before we know it, he'll be off to college, and then marriage! Grandbabies!" No, for us "development" gallops in the OPPOSITE direction.

Sorry--didn't mean to hijack thread. But I love for moments like these: On my birthday my Dad sang "Happy Birthday" to me, then teased me by asking me how old I was, over and over with a jokey smile on his face. Then he saw my cat and asked him how old 60 is in cat years.

Ha ha ha, Dad!

by Anonymousreply 40March 25, 2024 12:29 PM

R5- You sound like someone who’s living life to the fullest!

by Anonymousreply 41March 25, 2024 12:31 PM

Even when I had Covid December 2021 I still took my walk every day even when I was sick as a dog – I’m hard-core!

by Anonymousreply 42March 25, 2024 12:43 PM

R29, I agree completely. Over the years I have learned that when I'm visiting a city the size of Paris or London that I have to build a day in to just relax. So often, when younger, I had to make every moment count and run around exhausting myself. My days were packed with exhibits, museums, shows, reservations, etc. That's one of the benefits of "making it" -- I can afford to take an extra day or two to catch up, write cards or letters, enjoy a quiet morning, and then go back out there and partake of all the great cities have to offer.

I live close enough to New York that I can go for one night a few times a year to do some fun things and hop back on the train.

by Anonymousreply 43March 26, 2024 12:16 AM

I don't lay in bed but I have spent the whole day in my bedroom, lolling around. Go down and feed the cats, then load-up on junk phood. The radio on NPR; TV on PBS; surfing the internet; watching the wildlife out the back windows.

by Anonymousreply 44March 26, 2024 12:46 AM

I’ve lain and slept on the sofa all day.

by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2024 12:50 AM

I can't stay in bed after I wake up. I do go to my den (mancave) and watch TV all day, though.

by Anonymousreply 46March 26, 2024 12:53 AM

I love the isolation of my bed. I close my door and lock it. Even though I live alone. I’m locked away here ? Out of view by my so called friends . I’m resigned that only I can understand what I’ve been through

I no longer need anyone’s judgment or approval . Just fuck them all. This is what seventy feels like. You’re at thev

by Anonymousreply 47March 26, 2024 9:02 AM

You type fat.

by Anonymousreply 48March 26, 2024 11:56 AM

[quote] I’ve lain and slept on the sofa all day.

I love a man who knows how to use the word “lain.”

by Anonymousreply 49March 26, 2024 12:14 PM

Congratulations on at least taking a shower, though.

by Anonymousreply 50March 26, 2024 2:43 PM

I’m really not going to get out of bed for a while now. The special someone in my life ended things between us tonight.

It was quite a shock.

by Anonymousreply 51March 26, 2024 10:07 PM

Sorry to hear, R51. Lick your wounds, but don't stay in bed forever.

by Anonymousreply 52March 26, 2024 10:42 PM

OP: Whitney Houston circa 2006

by Anonymousreply 53March 26, 2024 10:46 PM

I get out of bed in the morning every day. If I'm not going out and feel tired or lazy, I lie on the couch and read or watch tv. I prefer being outside with my dog and am fortunate to also have a large yard and woods.

by Anonymousreply 54March 26, 2024 11:02 PM

I get out of bed everyday to work out for a couple of hours. It’s my permission slip to be lazy the rest of the day.

by Anonymousreply 55March 26, 2024 11:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!