Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best Fast Food Fries

Okay, fat whores. Preach.

McDonald's.

by Anonymousreply 77March 29, 2024 7:51 PM

I love seasoning, so Arby’s, then Rally’s/Checker’s…old school KFC wedges were great too.

by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2024 7:51 PM

Jack-in-the-box curly fries dipped in their buttermilk house dressing.

Five Guys is pretty good, too.

Waffle fries with cheese sauce are pretty great, too.

by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2024 7:51 PM

Krystal’s fries have a wonderful taste these days. It almost tastes like the oil is special or something. They also reheat very well.

by Anonymousreply 3March 23, 2024 7:53 PM

Chinese restaurants have the best fries. Maybe not fast food, but for to go orders it’s the way to go.

by Anonymousreply 4March 23, 2024 7:55 PM

I very, very, very, rarely eat fast food but I live in LA.

by Anonymousreply 5March 23, 2024 8:07 PM

FAT WHORES REJOICE!

by Anonymousreply 6March 23, 2024 8:08 PM

Wendy's breakfast fries. So damned good.

by Anonymousreply 7March 23, 2024 8:14 PM

[quote] I very, very, very, rarely eat fast food but I live in LA.

And? What's your point?

by Anonymousreply 8March 23, 2024 8:16 PM

I'll go with the JITB seasoned curly fries, also.

The McD's hash browns are very good.

by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2024 8:16 PM

Shake Shack's fries are ok, but their cheese sauce is freaking out of this world.

by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2024 8:48 PM

R7 I came to post that. So crispy. Wendys perfected the potato wedge.

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2024 8:52 PM

R8, I clearly wouldn't know as I care about my body and treat it like a temple.

by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2024 8:52 PM

Five Guys.

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2024 9:18 PM

Wingstop

by Anonymousreply 14March 23, 2024 9:19 PM

five guys fries are awful, they only single fry them from fresh potatoes. They need to be fried twice.

by Anonymousreply 15March 23, 2024 9:21 PM

i like the crinkle cut fries at del taco

by Anonymousreply 16March 23, 2024 9:23 PM

Also, the very best fries are the ones linked

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 23, 2024 9:31 PM

Popeye's Cajun fries

by Anonymousreply 18March 23, 2024 9:33 PM

McDonalds. And back in the early to mid 00s (when I was living in Western NY) they used to sell this nacho cheese in a cup, all warmed up. It was like crack to me - the delicious fries dipped in that cheesy goodness. I really miss that cheese sauce and wish they would bring it back.

by Anonymousreply 19March 23, 2024 9:38 PM

McDonald’s hands down.

Mexican restaurants have good fries too.

There’s a place in Nashville called Fat Mo’s that made delicious fries. Good homemade burgers too and chocolate chip shakes. I haven’t been there in years but every once in a while I think about the days when I could eat anything and not gain a pound. Now if I ate that way I’d look like Jiminy Glick. Who am I kidding. I’d look like Dixie.

by Anonymousreply 20March 24, 2024 12:16 AM

Actually, come to think of it, when I lived near Del Tacos, I liked their crinkle-cut, fatter fries as long as they cooked them long enough. They, too, were also delicious dipped in the nacho cheese sauce they used on their nachos.

No idea how they taste now though.

by Anonymousreply 21March 24, 2024 12:21 AM

The best fries are the ones that are so good you don't need to dip or smother in anything. Just a nice good helping of salt and a pinch of pepper. I know a fry is good when I don't bother to reach for any sauces or condiments.

by Anonymousreply 22March 24, 2024 12:54 AM

Penn Station (Ohio). They cut the fries right there before frying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 24, 2024 1:03 AM

Five Guys, Chili's.

by Anonymousreply 24March 24, 2024 1:06 AM

r23 so does In N Out Burger. And their fries unequivocally suck. You have to get the starch off to get a properly crispy-on-the-outside/soft-and-fluffy-on-the-inside fry.

by Anonymousreply 25March 24, 2024 1:07 AM

Burger King. McDonald’s fries 🍟 always taste like they were cooked in rancid oil.

At non-fast-food restaurants, I’ve learned to ask for my fries to be extra crispy. It works!

by Anonymousreply 26March 24, 2024 2:06 AM

Burger King has reformulated its fries countless times to battle the alleged superiority of McDonalds fries. Their current product is very, very good, especially if the fry cook is heavy handed with the salt. My issue with McD fries is they grow cold fast.

I think Five Guys fries are middling and In-N-Out are trash, even if you order them well done (yes, you can). They’re still shards of starch no matter what — good luck trying to find a fry that is more than two inches long. Wendy’s potatoes are good, period. Jack has good potatoes too. Their hash brown is every bit as good as McD’s.

The very best fries are fried in oil with some duck fat added. Some restaurants use only duck fat, but it’s too fatty. A good blend of oil and duck fat produces fries that are the best. *chefs kiss*

by Anonymousreply 27March 24, 2024 2:45 AM

All of you fry whores sound like Don DeLuise in the movie Fatso!

by Anonymousreply 28March 24, 2024 2:51 AM

*Dom godddamn it!

by Anonymousreply 29March 24, 2024 2:51 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 24, 2024 2:53 AM

Burger King fries do have a better thickness

MsD’s fries are too thin.

by Anonymousreply 31March 24, 2024 4:26 AM

I only like McDonald's fries when they're soggy and droopy. My favorite fries is Chick Fil A Waffle Fries, those things are heaven.

by Anonymousreply 32March 24, 2024 4:34 AM

Mcd’s 🍟and White Castle 🏰

by Anonymousreply 33March 24, 2024 4:34 AM

R7 and R11 Totally agree. The Wendy's Seasoned Breakfast Potatoes are the best thing on their menu.

by Anonymousreply 34March 24, 2024 4:39 AM

Arby's

by Anonymousreply 35March 24, 2024 4:40 AM

I hate Chik Fil A waffle fries...they are NOT great. In my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 36March 24, 2024 4:43 AM

I have vowed to never again go to Burger King because of their lame, off-key singing commercials. To think that someone came up with that idea for an ad - then a bunch of suits approved it is appalling.

by Anonymousreply 37March 24, 2024 4:46 AM

In N Out’s fries are just okay plain but make them Animal Style? This fat whore says they may be the best.

by Anonymousreply 38March 24, 2024 4:47 AM

Taco Bell’s new fries (with cheesy dipping sauce) are surprisingly delicious. I’ve caught myself going there just for fries and Cinnabon delights.

by Anonymousreply 39March 24, 2024 4:50 AM

Cracker Barrel's has brown casserole aux gratin was the best, which is why I found it very diffult to boycott them, but they've changed them somehow and I no longer miss them.

by Anonymousreply 40March 24, 2024 4:52 AM

At Popeye's one should always get the red beans and rice, never the fries. They used to have a good Cajun rice but it has been off the menu for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 41March 24, 2024 4:54 AM

Oh no, r39. You should NOT have told me about those. I see trying those sometime in this this fat whore's near future.

by Anonymousreply 42March 24, 2024 4:54 AM

A&W fries are pretty good too

by Anonymousreply 43March 24, 2024 4:54 AM

I've tried In N Out's fries any way you can get them - regular, extra crispy, animal style. They are always flavorless and have the texture of stryofoam. Hands down the worst fries in all of fast food.

by Anonymousreply 44March 24, 2024 4:56 AM

What is A&W?

by Anonymousreply 45March 24, 2024 4:57 AM

R44 I don’t agree (when it comes to animal style) but I’m a glutton for grilled onions and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 46March 24, 2024 4:58 AM

Root beer burger chain

by Anonymousreply 47March 24, 2024 4:59 AM

Wendy’s fries are just awful.

by Anonymousreply 48March 24, 2024 4:59 AM

A&W is an old franchise. They used to serve root beer in glass mugs. They had burgers (Papa burger, Mama burger, etc.). I haven't seen an A&W for a long time. They still sell the canned root beer.

by Anonymousreply 49March 24, 2024 4:59 AM

R39 the Nacho Fries? They’re incredible. Don’t try them, R42, you won’t be able to stop.

by Anonymousreply 50March 24, 2024 5:02 AM

A&W has good chili dogs

by Anonymousreply 51March 24, 2024 5:05 AM

I'm already fucked, r50. I know about them now and must try them.

I can only hope someone doesn't cook them right and they suck the first time I try them. Then, maybe - JUST MAYBE - I'll be safe.

by Anonymousreply 52March 24, 2024 5:06 AM

Olga's Kitchen had good fries too. I haven't been there in ages though.

by Anonymousreply 53March 24, 2024 5:08 AM

THeir zucchini fries are perhaps better known.

by Anonymousreply 54March 24, 2024 5:09 AM

Burger King. I ate there today, and the fries were really good.

by Anonymousreply 55March 24, 2024 5:09 AM

I had some really good french fries at the Ritz-Carlton (they also have or had a really good, old school Caesar's salad). I asked one of the cooks how they did it and, IIRC, the coated the potatoes (fresh, of course) with flour before frying.

Anyway, I made some pan-fried potatoes (home fries, I guess). Before putting in the pan, I shook the potato cubes in a bag with some flour. It was really good and easy to do.

by Anonymousreply 56March 24, 2024 6:20 AM

You fat whores! I read through this thread, got hungry, went to Wendy’s. There is nothing special about those seasoned fries.

I’m not a fan of fast food. But every so often I let myself get talked into trying “the best sandwich ever” or some such. Always always always a disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 57March 24, 2024 11:50 AM

So, no consensus then?

Wasn't McDonald's considered the best until the change in oil? (Could you imagine the vegan histrionics if it hadn't been changed?)

[quote]Beef tallow was initially used because the supplier for McDonald’s couldn’t afford vegetable oil. In the 1990s, as health concerns over saturated fat reached an all-time high, McDonald’s faced a backlash against the use of beef tallow, and worried about losing customers, the chain switched to vegetable oil. Unfortunately, many customers said the new texture and taste weren’t up to the mark.

by Anonymousreply 58March 24, 2024 12:18 PM

I like the crinkle cut fries I can make at home. I use my Ninja Foodi air fryer and they turn out fantastic. They're the "meatiest" cut of fry.

Frozen hash browns turn out fantastic in the Ninja also.

by Anonymousreply 59March 24, 2024 1:03 PM

Biscuitville and then Bojangles

by Anonymousreply 60March 24, 2024 1:20 PM

I am so over this seasoned fries thing. It's getting to the point where you have to ask if they're seasoned or not.

by Anonymousreply 61March 24, 2024 2:03 PM

I, too, have never been a fan of seasoned fries, unless it's seasoning I put on myself on homemade fries.

by Anonymousreply 62March 24, 2024 2:05 PM

Checkers' fries are perfection.

by Anonymousreply 63March 24, 2024 2:27 PM

I cannot eat french fries or most fast foods any more because I get terrible heart burn and indigestion to the degree I thought I was having a heart attack. And I was a fat whore but now I have lost 35 poinds and I am beginning to see how truly good looking I am.

by Anonymousreply 64March 24, 2024 7:05 PM

;o;;erskates!

by Anonymousreply 65March 24, 2024 7:34 PM

In-n-Out's fries are the WORST. I know I'm a California transplant, but the cult of that place is unreal and SOOOO unjustified.

I'll never understand it.

McDonald's fries when they used to use beef tallow were THE BEST. They're still good, but not the same.

by Anonymousreply 66March 24, 2024 7:45 PM

I may be the minority but I like those shoe string fries at Steak n Shake

by Anonymousreply 67March 29, 2024 3:02 AM

Update: I found myself near a Taco Bell today and immediately thought: NACHO FRIES.

Drove to the drive-through, didn't see them on the menu so asked if they had them. "No, we stopped carrying them a couple weeks ago."

Saved by the Bell.

by Anonymousreply 68March 29, 2024 3:16 AM

Apparently the secret to great old fast food french fries was to fry them in beef lard. Thankfully for our arteries, everyone has switched to vegetable oil.

[quote]In 1990, the company announced that they would replace the beef tallow with 100 percent vegetable oil. After the announcement, McDonald's stock fell 8.3 percent. The new fry didn't stack up. As it turns out, the beef tallow had added more than just cholesterol to the signature french fry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 29, 2024 3:46 AM

Del Taco has the best fries. Crinkle cut taste best.

by Anonymousreply 70March 29, 2024 6:39 AM

R69, I remember when they announced that. By then it was too late for me. I had consumed prodigious amount of their french fries as a child growing up in the shadow of the Golden Arches. I'd had about 15 important growing up years to pollute my body with beef grease and all the chemical preservatives and additives in their burgers. And oh, how I loved me a double cheeseburger or a Big Mac with large fries. Large Coke too. Heaven. Now I'm eating oatmeal and organic, free range eggs, plant based butter, and lots of wild caught salmon and tuna. Some antibiotic free chicken and lots of organic vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 71March 29, 2024 1:49 PM

r71 Oh, myself as well. I ate plenty of junk back in the day. Now I'm mostly vegetarian and eat meat or fish maybe twice a week. I'll indulge with a cheeseburger maybe once a year. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 72March 29, 2024 3:50 PM

i'm a veggie that eats meat once or twice a week...

lolz

by Anonymousreply 73March 29, 2024 3:57 PM

Best right out of the fryer - McDonald’s Worst when it’s been sitting - McDonald’s

by Anonymousreply 74March 29, 2024 4:02 PM

Eating In-N-Out fries is like eating styrofoam

by Anonymousreply 75March 29, 2024 5:31 PM

Burger King's are the best of any national chain to my taste buds. (Sad that McDonald's fell from their throne in pursuit of healthier eating!) But a local BBQ smokehouse has crinkle-cut fries that are the perfect level of crispiness and salty taste to me.

by Anonymousreply 76March 29, 2024 6:22 PM

r73 What about "mostly" don't you understand?

by Anonymousreply 77March 29, 2024 7:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!