Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gwyneth Paltrow says ‘f–k you’ to Bill Clinton for falling asleep, snoring during ‘Emma’ screening

Gwyneth Paltrow had some choice words for Former President Bill Clinton after he fell asleep and snored during a 1996 screening of her hit film, “Emma.”

During an appearance on “Hot Ones” Thursday, the Oscar-winning actress was asked about the rumor that Clinton actually “passed out asleep” during a screening at the White House.

“True. He was snoring right in front of me,” Paltrow, 51, confirmed to host Sean Evans. “I was like, ‘Wow, I guess this is going to be a real hit movie.’ But it was. So f–k you, Bill Clinton.”

In the hit film, Paltrow plays the role of Emma Woodhouse, a young woman in 19th Century England who focuses on setting her friends up with romantic partners.

The film became a box office hit, grossing nearly $40 million worldwide on a production budget under $8 million.

It scooped up two Academy Award nominations; one for costume design and another for original score, winning the latter.

Elsewhere during her chat with Evans, Paltrow slammed superhero movies for lacking originality, despite having previously starred in the “Iron Man” films.

The mom of two said there has been an active focus on quantity over quality in the Marvel franchise.

“If I look at the industry as a whole, there’s this sort of big push into superhero movies,” she explained.

“I mean, you can only make so many good ones that feel truly original and yet there’s still, you know, always trying to reach as many people as possible, which sometimes hinders quality or specificity or real point-of-views.”

Paltrow added that some movies she’s been a part of during her glittering career would simply not be green-lit today.

“So, I mean, you’re absolutely right,” she added. “I grew up doing those movies and I sometimes lament the fact. Like, I look back at some of the movies I made in the ’90s and think that just wouldn’t get made now.”

Paltrow has since strayed away from the acting arena and has shifted her entire focus into her successful lifestyle brand Goop, which she launched in 2008.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 31, 2024 3:39 PM

Sorry, but that film was not an "international hit". It may have made money to cover itself, but its not even known. Who even remembers it? I still want my $6 back from that cheese fest.

by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2024 4:45 PM

So classy, that useless woman. It was necessary to say "Fuck you, Bill Clinton"?

I'm guessing he probably had a more complicated and demanding day than that talentless prima donna did that day. And I'm no fan of Bill Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2024 4:46 PM

Exactly R2. I'm guessing, as most people would, that being President of the United States in the mid to late 90s wouldn't lend to many relaxing evenings of rest and relaxation. But she's always been a delusional, classist, inbred elitist. She likely never even paused to think about the man's life or job. It was all about HER.

by Anonymousreply 3March 23, 2024 4:50 PM

Oh, and., the only reason to watch her version of the movie was the many other accomplished actors in the film that held her up.

(And mostly to lust after Jeremy Northam.)

by Anonymousreply 4March 23, 2024 4:50 PM

At least she’s not calling JZ and Ye “n***as” again.

by Anonymousreply 5March 23, 2024 4:52 PM

All her films were a snooze.

by Anonymousreply 6March 23, 2024 4:52 PM

She's just mad because she would have blown him and not blabbed unlike that other chick

by Anonymousreply 7March 23, 2024 4:53 PM

[quote]Gwyneth Paltrow

Cunt

by Anonymousreply 8March 23, 2024 5:05 PM

she is a wicked witch

by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2024 5:08 PM

Sorry Gwyneth, darlin. I had a cigar with your name on it, but you were too uptight and I lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2024 5:10 PM

Where have you been my whole life?

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2024 5:11 PM

She can be a cunt, but who cares if she laughs that the film did okay despite Bill Clinton snoozing through it.

[Source: IMDB]

Budget $6,000,000 USD (estimate)

Collection in the US and Canada $22.231.658 USD

Collection around the world. $22.231.658 USD

by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2024 5:12 PM

And it's a shit film, but I don't think a not so serious "so fuck you, Bill Clinton!" is cause to get all uppity.

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2024 5:13 PM

Maybe this is a Datalounge sin, but I’m sorry Gwyneth isn’t acting anymore. I loved seeing her on screen, even if her real life is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 14March 23, 2024 5:20 PM

R13, it was indeed unnecessarily aggressive, especially against a beloved former POTUS. So yeah, I get the reaction. That said however, it's in line with her rich chick snark, so I could sort of see her saying it to be "funny", but it didn't come across that way. Between the Balkan war, Iraq, impeachment/investigations, etc., and the fact she was honored enough to have been invited to a screen of her film at the White House, maybe it was something she could have kept to herself and overlooked. Instead, she had to throw a cunt bomb.

by Anonymousreply 15March 23, 2024 5:26 PM

She's probably talking about "Shallow Hal" in some of the movies she wouldn't make now (although it was filmed in 2000/2001). However, I thought that movie was pretty good, despite it stereotyping fat people (and I'm a former fat person). It was probably more for Jack Black though than her.

I also enjoyed (and own, and re-watch on occasion) Sliding Doors. I thought she was good in it, but also had a pretty good supporting cast as well.

But that narcissistic, stuck up her own ass, entitled bitch probably couldn't contemplate how busy and exhausting Clinton's life might have been. Of course, she can't. She has never had the ability to empathize or understand anybody else but her own damn self.

But Emma? I had no desire to see it when it came out (and I like those types of movies, generally speaking), and when I did see it? Not that impressed.

by Anonymousreply 16March 23, 2024 5:33 PM

Gosh, Gwynnie--I think the poor guy was exhausted from balancing the budget, dealing with the genocidal war in Bosnia, and trying to broker peace in the Middle East, among other things.

But of course, Emma was the only thing going on in the mid-90s.....

by Anonymousreply 17March 23, 2024 5:36 PM

It was a very good adaptation of Emma, especially with Sophie Thompson and Jeremy Northam.

by Anonymousreply 18March 23, 2024 5:37 PM

She was just too exhausting...even for me.

by Anonymousreply 19March 23, 2024 5:38 PM

Script thief!

by Anonymousreply 20March 23, 2024 5:39 PM

Maybe because it was a boring movie?

by Anonymousreply 21March 23, 2024 5:40 PM

When will this no personality, assless, lipless, stringy haired, no talent SHUT THE FUCK UP. JFC, can she just go away for goddamn ever already?

by Anonymousreply 22March 23, 2024 5:43 PM

[quote]especially against a beloved former POTUS.

Please. Trump and Reagan are beloved former POTUS(es) as well, and not short on supporters who bristle at the tiniest criticism or snark about these two assholes. Bill Clinton was not Pope and this isn't the College of Cardinals who dare never speak a bad word about him (in public.)

by Anonymousreply 23March 23, 2024 7:17 PM

Team Bill on this one . What a boring fucking movie

by Anonymousreply 24March 23, 2024 7:22 PM

R22 took the words right out of my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 25March 23, 2024 7:24 PM

[quote] Clinton actually “passed out asleep” during a screening at the White House.

[quote] “True. He was snoring right in front of me,” Paltrow, 51, confirmed to host Sean Evans. “I was like, ‘Wow, I guess this is going to be a real hit movie.’

The image of this is fucking hilarious!

Fuck you CUNT Gwyneth!

The world does not revolve around you.

by Anonymousreply 26March 23, 2024 7:28 PM

It’s exhausting being married to an evil baby killing cunt. I feel for him.

by Anonymousreply 27March 23, 2024 7:31 PM

Emma was boring. I watched it and remember nothing about it.

by Anonymousreply 28March 24, 2024 1:48 PM

Nepo mess.

by Anonymousreply 29March 24, 2024 2:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 24, 2024 2:29 PM

He was too nice to her.

I would’ve walked out of that stinker.

by Anonymousreply 31March 24, 2024 2:33 PM

I've always wondered how Blythe Danner ended up with this daughter. Must be all Paltrow's fault.

by Anonymousreply 32March 24, 2024 2:41 PM

Nepo baby and Weinstein girl, slighted that yet another version of an Austen novel wasn't met with universal acclaim.

by Anonymousreply 33March 24, 2024 2:44 PM

[quote]When will this no personality, assless, lipless, stringy haired, no talent SHUT THE FUCK UP. JFC, can she just go away for goddamn ever already?

Don't forget her massive feets.

by Anonymousreply 34March 25, 2024 12:27 AM

This actually makes me like Bill Clinton more.

by Anonymousreply 35March 25, 2024 12:29 AM

Did she say fuck you to Bill back then, or was her comment said to Bill, in hindsight to the guy on Hot Ones?

by Anonymousreply 36March 25, 2024 12:55 AM

I've never seen Emma. Am I missing anything?

by Anonymousreply 37March 25, 2024 6:33 AM

How rude of him to be so exhausted from running the country and traveling to not be enthralled by the nine hundredth adaptation of a boring ass period romantic comedy. I bet he would have stayed awake through Clueless, it was funnier and Alicia Silverstone is way prettier.

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2024 1:41 AM

R37, Evans McGregor was pretty hot as Frank Churchill.

The international gross listed upthread is wrong as it did show in Australia and at least some of us saw it.

by Anonymousreply 39March 31, 2024 2:24 PM

I fall asleep to most of her movies as well.

by Anonymousreply 40March 31, 2024 2:27 PM

She was on Hot Ones? How'd they find sauce and free range baby chicken wings that she allows on her diet?

by Anonymousreply 41March 31, 2024 2:32 PM

If she goes on at this rate, she's likely to be invited to be in Trump's Cabinet. To which she would be an ornament, I reckon.

Silly cow.

by Anonymousreply 42March 31, 2024 2:38 PM

I don't blame him.

by Anonymousreply 43March 31, 2024 3:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!