Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Turning canned tomato sauce into decent pasta sauce?

Attention DL cooks! What are your suggestions for boosting the flavor of canned tomato sauce?

TIA

by Anonymousreply 103March 27, 2024 8:55 PM

Tomato paste cooked in the skillet with garlic. Then add the canned tomatoes and spices. A little wine won’t hurt either.

by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2024 3:41 PM

There are times of the year when tinned tomato sauce is your friend.

Check reviews of available Italian brands with San Marzano denomination of origen. Martinete from Spain is also good. Try a sampling and pick your favorite.

by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2024 3:53 PM

Someone will invariably say to use the “marinara” recipe from Marcella Hazan which is not called a marinara.

by Anonymousreply 3March 23, 2024 4:08 PM

Dis’ thread izza gonna be-ah good-ah!

OP, I always add things like fresh minced garlic and/or onion that I first sauté in butter until soft and clear, and don’t hold back on the butter because that will flavor your sauce too. Occasionally I’ll add a little red wine (but I prefer that for a bolognese). I also use *really” high quality Celtic salt, and I often throw in a pinch of sugar and a fresh basil leaf. The sugar and salt balance are critical IMHO. Depending on how thick I need the sauce to be, I may add some tomato paste, but I try not to. That’s really all you need.

by Anonymousreply 4March 23, 2024 4:09 PM

Dice a whole shallot or two, saute in olive oil, add minced garlic, let it go a minute or so, add finely diced carrot, minced pancetta, cook for a minute or two, add tomato sauce and simmer on very low for 30 minutes or longer...you can dried herbs, oregano or whatever you like.

by Anonymousreply 5March 23, 2024 4:21 PM

If you have to ask, stay out of the kitchen, you either can cook edible food, or you can't.

by Anonymousreply 6March 23, 2024 4:24 PM

r6, Not true, some of us are here to learn.

by Anonymousreply 7March 23, 2024 4:26 PM

We're not here to teach, go to cooking school. I stand by my statement, you either can cook or you can't, it's innate.

by Anonymousreply 8March 23, 2024 5:54 PM

[quote]We're not here to teach, go to cooking school. I stand by my statement, you either can cook or you can't, it's innate.

Well sure. None of the top Michelin chefs went to culinary school or were taught how to cook.

It's one of the key selection filters - did you go to culinary schoo? If so, hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2024 5:58 PM

Awesome suggestions. Thanks, all. I’ll be experimenting tonight.

(Even if some think it’s a fool’s errand.)

by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2024 6:31 PM

Add more spices , a little red wine and definitely garlic.

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2024 6:36 PM

Start with Hunts Tomato Sauce. Don’t really need anything fancy.

by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2024 6:38 PM

Garlic, onions, and basil.

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2024 6:47 PM

[quote]Garlic, onions, and basil.

This, plus oregano and a couple of glugs of red wine. You won't taste the wine but it adds depth of flavor.

But the crucial ingredient is time. Pasta sauce should cook on low all day.

by Anonymousreply 14March 23, 2024 6:57 PM

That’s only if you have meat/bones in it.

by Anonymousreply 15March 23, 2024 8:08 PM

Oil, preferably olive oil.

Onions, caramelized, or at least cooked to translucent.

Garlic, lots.

Red pepper flakes.

Dried oregano.

Kalamata olives. Can use some of the brine, too.

If the sauce is too tart, add some sugar.

My preference: rotini or fusilli (short-shaped) pasta.

Cheese to put on top, at the end.

For the actual canned tomatoes, I used to like Bianco (California) brand, but it can be inconsistent in quality / flavor.

by Anonymousreply 16March 23, 2024 8:23 PM

Contadina canned sauce is good.

by Anonymousreply 17March 23, 2024 8:27 PM

I add garlic, onions, green pepper, black olives, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, and a can of Manwich.

by Anonymousreply 18March 23, 2024 8:29 PM

This is easy, OP. Pretty much what others have said above. Dice an onion, sautee in olive oil, maybe 7-10 minutes, stirring every minute or so until translucent, but not burned or too brown. Throw in a generous amount of chopped shrooms. They will shrink. Criminis are more flavorful than the white button variety. You could use a can of drained, chopped shrooms instead. Stir around for another few minutes until they shrink. Add several cloves of minced garlic. Stir for another 30-60 seconds. Add fresh (if you have it) chopped basil and mix it in. Then add your jar or can of tomato sauce and a couple of "glugs of red wine" then simmer on very low for maybe 10 minutes until the liquid thickens. If it's too runny, you could add a little can of tomato paste. If you don't have fresh basil, you could add dried oregano or dried "Italian Seasoning". S&P to taste. Adding olives will make it salty.

In 20-30 minutes you can really elevate tomato sauce while the pasta water is coming to a boil, then cooking. Drain the pasta well (do not rinse) then add it to the sauce. Heat on low for another 5 minutes, then serve.

You could make it more nutritious by adding sliced zucchini or yellow squash coins when you add the shrooms.

by Anonymousreply 19March 23, 2024 8:45 PM

I’m partial to cooking dark green leafy vegetables separately, squeezing out the water and then chopping and adding to the sauce near the end.

Makes me feel like I’m eating something relatively healthy.

Usually start the sauce off with chopped cured meat, ham or bacon or pancetta etc. Just the meat and then the tomato sauce or passata. Simmer until reduces a bit. Finish with the greens and season with salt. Cook a minute or two so the salt is absorbed and balances out then take off the heat and toss with whatever pasta. If you cook it too long it won’t be as green but that’s ok. Something delicate like baby spinach you barely cook. Ridged pasta is better to catch the little pieces of meat and greens I find. You can add cheese if you want while tossing the pasta (for at least a couple minutes)

Simple.

by Anonymousreply 20March 23, 2024 8:46 PM

20 posts and not one mention of prunes.

So disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 21March 23, 2024 8:49 PM

I suddenly have the strongest urge to rewatch The Godfather. Clemenza was a guy who knew how to feed a mob of button men who had gone to the mattresses.

by Anonymousreply 22March 23, 2024 8:51 PM

Clemenza had some hunks of pork and whatnot in his sauce, though. Easier to get some flavor and texture when you can use meat.

by Anonymousreply 23March 23, 2024 9:08 PM

Which is why Italians use guanciale and pancetta in sauces because they can bloom the oil soluble components of herbs.

by Anonymousreply 24March 23, 2024 9:35 PM

20 posts all sayin' the same thing.

sad.

by Anonymousreply 25March 23, 2024 10:31 PM

[quote] Which is why Italians use guanciale and pancetta in sauces because they can bloom the oil soluble components of herbs.

Coincidental.

by Anonymousreply 26March 23, 2024 10:39 PM

Vodka, and lots of it.

by Anonymousreply 27March 23, 2024 10:50 PM

Add 1/2 cup of Accent.

by Anonymousreply 28March 23, 2024 11:06 PM

MSG…mmm

by Anonymousreply 29March 23, 2024 11:23 PM

[quote]Someone will invariably say to use the “marinara” recipe from Marcella Hazan which is not called a marinara.

The most overrated recipe in history. Bland. No complexity. Nothing at all special.

by Anonymousreply 30March 23, 2024 11:28 PM

Can’t argue with that, R30.

by Anonymousreply 31March 24, 2024 3:17 AM

Why not just make sauce? Here's a simple recipe:

2 cans diced tomatoes with Italian herbs or just add a bit of oregano, basil, powdered garlic, 2 cans tomato sauce. (I chop up the diced tomatoes in a blender) cook for one hour, add sugar to please taste.

It's very easy. If you want meat sauce just saute ground beef maybe a little diced onion. Throw it in the sauce and your done.

by Anonymousreply 32March 24, 2024 3:21 AM

Puttin’ a coupla globs of grape jelly and a splash uh vinegar’ll make it seem like you added the finest Bordeaux wine 🍷, I always say!

by Anonymousreply 33March 24, 2024 3:24 AM

[quote] Why not just make sauce?

Isn't that what this thread is about? Who is suggesting jarred pasta sauce?

by Anonymousreply 34March 24, 2024 3:29 AM

canned tomato "SAUCE" is not the same product as canned tomatoes, canned tomato puree, and canned tomato paste. You use the last three to make a quick sauce. The first one already is sauce so buy a good one and use it as is, out of the can.

by Anonymousreply 35March 24, 2024 3:33 AM

Why do Americans have to make such a simple thing so difficult?

Saute sliced or chopped garlic in olive oil. Add canned peeled tomatoes that you've crushed OR (even easier) tomato puree (Mutti Passata or Cento are good brands). Salt, pepper. Oregano or fresh basil.

Simmer until the tomato separates from the oil and the oil takes on an orange hue about 30 to 40 minutes. 20 minutes if you are in a hurry is fine.

That's the most basic standard tomato sauce. From that you can make a whole array of pasta dishes: add anchovy, capers, olives and you have "la puttanesca" etc.

Don't cook it for hours or other such nonsense (unless it's a meat sauce).

by Anonymousreply 36March 24, 2024 3:42 AM

Carmelize half a sliced onion and put fresh minced garlic in olive oil. add spices, then the can of tomato sauce and then half a can of tomato paste. Mix thoroughly and let simmer for a little while. It's so simple but I just do it for me when I'm in the mood for pasta. Simply can no longer tolerate the jarred stuff.

by Anonymousreply 37March 24, 2024 3:45 AM

R37 if you don't like jarred sauce why do you make your sauce with 50% canned SAUCE.

Once again, canned SAUCE is sauce. Use canned tomatoes, not canned SAUCE.

by Anonymousreply 38March 24, 2024 3:48 AM

The Tuscans have an interesting way with tomato sauce too.

Saute chopped garlic, carrot, onion, celery in olive oil. Salt. A touch of hot pepper if you like. Add tomatoes. Let simmer 30 to 40 minutes. Then pass everything through a food mill.

by Anonymousreply 39March 24, 2024 3:48 AM

Max Miller loved the original Chef Boyardee recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 24, 2024 3:56 AM

[quote] Throw it in the sauce and your done.

I won't say it...

by Anonymousreply 41March 24, 2024 6:08 AM

Why the use of canned vs. jarred sauce?

by Anonymousreply 42March 24, 2024 6:10 AM

What?

by Anonymousreply 43March 24, 2024 6:13 AM

What what?

by Anonymousreply 44March 24, 2024 6:32 AM

Slice your garlic (not minced) and simmer in olive oil for 30 seconds, then add a half teaspoon chili flakes, the tinned tomatoes and oregano to taste. Simmer for 30-40 mins.

From this basic (but delicious) base you can flex. Add any individual or combo of anchovies, capers, mushrooms, roasted capsicum, spinach, arugula, pancetta, bacon, etc.

R36 said similar and they are right.

by Anonymousreply 45March 24, 2024 6:51 AM

R45, why slice the garlic instead of mincing please? Yummy.

by Anonymousreply 46March 24, 2024 5:50 PM

Many people remove the garlic slices after they have simmered. Over cooked garlic turns bitter.

by Anonymousreply 47March 24, 2024 5:58 PM

R47 If you prefer to remove the garlic, you don't slice it. Rather than trying to pick out slices, you use whole garlic cloves that you crush lightly.

[quote]Over cooked garlic turns bitter.

That only happens if garlic is browned too much.

[quote]Slice your garlic (not minced)

Both are fine. Minced garlic with give a stronger garlic taste.

Italians BTW are very stingy with garlic. Italian-Americans tend to pile it on.

by Anonymousreply 48March 24, 2024 6:06 PM

I use the tomato sauce because the jars have way too much sodium in them. Use fresh veggies like mushrooms and zucchini and red onions .Saute them in the pan and then add the tomato sauce . If you're putting meat in the sauce cook that with the vegetables first . Then add the tomato sauce . Now add paprika , garlic powder, paprika and red pepper flakes. Cook that all together up to a boil and simmer. Then cook the pasta . When the pasta is done, drain it and add the sauce. Enjoy

by Anonymousreply 49March 24, 2024 6:23 PM

Stop mincing!

Fags.

by Anonymousreply 50March 24, 2024 6:25 PM

You can make a good sauce using pork neck bones, too, OP. I just brown the neck bones, garlic, a little onions, a small green pepper, add it to the sauce and simmer for about an hour. It's pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 51March 25, 2024 3:27 AM

Who is going to go out and buy pork neck bones just to enhance a cheap can of tomato sauce?

by Anonymousreply 52March 25, 2024 3:35 AM

R46 I say to slice the garlic because minced garlic can burn too easily. Slice the garlic and add to the cold oil in the pan. Turn on the heat and once the oil begins to bubble around the garlic, give it 20 seconds and then add the tinned tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 53March 25, 2024 10:56 AM

R7, I’m here to help.

Ignore R6/R8.

by Anonymousreply 54March 25, 2024 11:00 AM

And last week’s Pussy of the Week Award goes to …

R21!

R21 posted the brilliant and clever comment:

[quote] 20 posts and not one mention of prunes. So disappointed.

Well done, R21!

You are the Datalounge Pussy of the Week!

by Anonymousreply 55March 25, 2024 11:06 AM

Not OP but thanks for these recommendations. They’re so vastly different. I’m going to bookmark this page and work up the courage to try a few, since the few times I’ve tried to make my own sauce it tasted like watered down ketchup. DL’s pasta sauce snobs really coming through.

by Anonymousreply 56March 25, 2024 11:08 AM

[quote]since the few times I’ve tried to make my own sauce it tasted like watered down ketchup.

r56, do you rinse your pasta after you sauce it?

by Anonymousreply 57March 25, 2024 11:14 AM

OP, help has arrived. Give this recipe a try.

[bold] GREG’S SIMPLE BUT DELICIOUS TOMATO SAUCE [/bold]

[bold] INGREDIENTS [/bold]

-1 28-oz can San Marzano tomatoes, peeled and chopped

-¼ cup dry white wine

-1 small white onion, finely diced

-1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

-2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

-2-3 fresh basil leaves

-½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, plus more to taste

-Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper

[bold] PROCEDURE [/bold]

1. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is just tender but not colored, about 8 minutes.

2. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.

3. Add the wine, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook for a few minutes until reduced by about half.

4. Add the tomatoes with their juices and ½ teaspoon salt.

5. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stir in basil, and season with a few grinds of pepper and additional salt and red pepper flakes if needed.

This is a quick and easy tomato sauce and is far superior to any jarred sauce one could purchase.

I hope you like it.

by Anonymousreply 58March 25, 2024 11:41 AM

[quote] We're not here to teach, go to cooking school. I stand by my statement, you either can cook or you can't, it's innate. -R8

I am here to teach.

R8 must be having his period.

by Anonymousreply 59March 25, 2024 12:00 PM

[quote] do you rinse your pasta after you sauce it?

Never

by Anonymousreply 60March 25, 2024 8:15 PM

No mincing. No rinsing. Got it.

by Anonymousreply 61March 25, 2024 10:38 PM

Is it only New York and New Jersey Italians who call tomato sauce, gravy?

by Anonymousreply 62March 25, 2024 10:56 PM

Some do in New Orleans, r62

by Anonymousreply 63March 25, 2024 11:00 PM

Some do in Massachusetts.

by Anonymousreply 64March 26, 2024 4:47 AM

Isn't that just the Marcella Hazan recipe basically? Even simple recipes aren't real anymore, just something regurgitated from the dark web.

by Anonymousreply 65March 26, 2024 6:20 AM

No, r65, it isn't, if you mean the butter-tomato-onion sauce.

by Anonymousreply 66March 26, 2024 8:15 AM

Yeah, that whole "bitter garlic" trope from cooking shows is tired. You'll know when you've burned (gone too far) your garlic; it will be obvious. If you have a fine Microplane grater, you can grate your garlic to a fine paste and put it into (raw) whatever you like, e.g., salad dressing.

by Anonymousreply 67March 26, 2024 8:21 AM

The grating (very fine) of the garlic will give it a mild taste, even when raw. Of course, you've got to add it to something and mix it in.

by Anonymousreply 68March 26, 2024 8:24 AM

[quote] Isn't that just the Marcella Hazan recipe basically? Even simple recipes aren't real anymore, just something regurgitated from the dark web.

Isn't [bold] what [/bold] just the Marcella Hazan recipe?

by Anonymousreply 69March 26, 2024 1:11 PM

[quote]If you have a fine Microplane grater, you can grate your garlic to a fine paste

Why not just use a garlic press?

It's easier.

by Anonymousreply 70March 26, 2024 1:52 PM

r70, so true.

by Anonymousreply 71March 26, 2024 5:03 PM

R79, i have both a press and a microplane. It is a differrent result.

by Anonymousreply 72March 26, 2024 6:33 PM

[quote]I am here to teach.

Then you wouldn't be telling people to put white wine in tomato sauce.

Is that something you learned from "Woman's Day" magazine?

by Anonymousreply 73March 26, 2024 7:18 PM

[quote]Is it only New York and New Jersey Italians who call tomato sauce, gravy?

In New Orleans, older folk refer to it as "red gravy."

by Anonymousreply 74March 26, 2024 7:43 PM

[quote] Then you wouldn't be telling people to put white wine in tomato sauce. Is that something you learned from "Woman's Day" magazine?

No, R36/R73, but thank you for asking.

It's something I learned from Barbara Lynch.

by Anonymousreply 75March 26, 2024 8:01 PM

Greg does it again

"GREG’S SIMPLE BUT DELICIOUS TOMATO SAUCE" at R58

But the recipe is actually word-for-word copy&pasted from a chef's website.

by Anonymousreply 76March 26, 2024 8:25 PM

Oh no, R76, I got that recipe from the March issue of “Woman’s Day” magazine.

by Anonymousreply 77March 26, 2024 8:30 PM

A true chef would never sully tomato sauce with white wine, R76.

Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 78March 26, 2024 8:33 PM

It is easy. Put can in pot and heat. Depending on how much sauce there is, 2 tsp of garlic powder, 2 tsp of onion powder 2tbls of butter. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 10-20 mins to let the spices blend and butter melt.

by Anonymousreply 79March 26, 2024 8:35 PM

Simmer canned tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder, butter, salt, and pepper? For 10-20 minutes? All of those ingredients are pretty much "done" at the beginning. I really don't see a need to simmer that combination of ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 80March 26, 2024 8:42 PM

Americans need to add ingredients that add nothing. White wine adds nothing to a basic tomato sauce. Tomato sauce should taste of fresh tomato. Things like basil, oregano, salt, garlic, onion, carrot, celery draw out the flavor or compliment tomatoes.

And even saying "white wine"...what does that even mean? WW can be sweet, dry, fizz or still.

by Anonymousreply 81March 26, 2024 8:42 PM

R36, Greg02116 said DRY WW .... God Damnit!

by Anonymousreply 82March 26, 2024 8:47 PM

R81, what a bore you are.

[quote] And even saying "white wine"...what does that even mean? WW can be sweet, dry, fizz or still.

My recipe said “dry white wine.”

Do you need help reading?

by Anonymousreply 83March 26, 2024 8:49 PM

Thanks, R82.

Clearly R36/R81 is best ignored.

Another DL quiz kid.

Everyone else, do yourself a favor and try my recipe. It’s simple but delicious.

by Anonymousreply 84March 26, 2024 8:51 PM

His own mother would have hated him if she hadn't put him up for adoption when he was halfway out.

by Anonymousreply 85March 26, 2024 8:53 PM

Keep it simple, OP.

by Anonymousreply 86March 26, 2024 9:07 PM

Seriously, Greg, what's wrong with a little white wine ("dry" is understood, or should be) in a tomato sauce? It's not the only way to make tomato sauce, but it certainly rates as [italic]a[/italic] tomato sauce. I think it sounds terrific. I'd certainly rather eat tomato sauce with a little white wine than one with oregano.

And no dried basil EVER.

by Anonymousreply 87March 26, 2024 9:13 PM

[quote] Seriously, Greg, what's wrong with a little white wine ("dry" is understood, or should be) in a tomato sauce? It's not the only way to make tomato sauce, but it certainly rates as a tomato sauce. I think it sounds terrific. I'd certainly rather eat tomato sauce with a little white wine than one with oregano.

Thank you, R87.

I agree. Only someone much more inferior to ourselves would suggest there is a problem with adding some white wine to a tomato sauce.

DL attracts all types—both those with gifts and those who are losers.

by Anonymousreply 88March 26, 2024 9:27 PM

R58

GREG’S SIMPLE BUT DELICIOUS TOMATO SAUCE

Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is just tender but not colored, about 8 minutes.

Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.

Add the wine, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook for a few minutes until reduced by about half.

Add the tomatoes with their juices and ½ teaspoon salt.

Simmer for about 20 minutes, stir in basil, and season with a few grinds of pepper and additional salt and red pepper flakes if needed.

thefoodlens.com

Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is just tender but not colored, about 8 minutes.

Add the wine, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook for a few minutes until it’s reduced by about half.

Add the tomatoes with their juices and ½ teaspoon salt.

Simmer for about 20 minutes, stir in basil, and season with a few grinds of pepper and additional salt and red pepper flakes if needed.

LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 26, 2024 9:35 PM

Yum! It’s so good!

Despite the white wine, R81.

Be sure to try this recipe!

by Anonymousreply 90March 26, 2024 9:44 PM

There are many not so nice things one can say about Barbara Lynch, but she is an amazing chef and people pay a lot of money to eat her food and dine in her dining rooms.

by Anonymousreply 91March 26, 2024 10:00 PM

Yeah, she should really try GREG’S SIMPLE BUT DELICIOUS TOMATO SAUCE

by Anonymousreply 92March 26, 2024 10:04 PM

Haha, R92.

I’m sure she has.

by Anonymousreply 93March 26, 2024 10:08 PM

I wonder if she reads “Woman’s Day” magazine like R73/R36?

by Anonymousreply 94March 26, 2024 10:10 PM

GREG’S SIMPLE BUT DELICIOUS TOMATO SAUCE

INGREDIENTS

1 28-oz can San Marzano tomatoes, peeled and chopped

¼ cup dry white wine

1 small white onion, finely diced

1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

2-3 fresh basil leaves

½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, plus more to taste

Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper

the food lens.com

Ingredients

1 28-oz can San Marzano tomatoes, peeled and chopped

¼ cup dry white wine

1 small white onion, thinly sliced

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

2-3 fresh basil leaves

½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, plus more to taste

Salt and freshly ground pepper

LOL.

by Anonymousreply 95March 26, 2024 10:50 PM

R80: You want the flavors to amalgamate.

What i learned from an Italian-American colleague is mostly what's already been said--if all you have is tomato sauce, then add tomato paste--a big can for a big can of tomato sauce. Puree is better and a long, slow cook is always best, but esp. if you add some meat or include some bones.

by Anonymousreply 96March 26, 2024 11:03 PM

OP is asking how to enrich canned tomato sauce, now how to make sauce from a can of tomatoes.

Open can and dump into a pot. Turn on the stove. Add a couple of tablespoons of butter, a shake of garlic powder and oregano. Add shake of crushed red pepper or black pepper. If you have a tube of tomato paste, add a squirt to thicken it a bit. Sauce is done when butter is melted. Takes about 3 minutes. Mix it into your pasta and top with Parmesan cheese if you have it.

No need to over complicate this.

For next time, homemade sauce is easy to make and freezes well. Keep some in containers or freezer bags so next time it’s even easier. But if all you have on hand is a can of tomato sauce you can liven it up with basic pantry staples.

by Anonymousreply 97March 26, 2024 11:32 PM

Yum! It’s so good!

Despite the white wine, [R81].

Be sure to try this recipe!

by Anonymousreply 98March 27, 2024 2:52 AM

There are many not so nice things one can say about Barbara Lynch, but she is an amazing chef and people pay a lot of money to eat her food and dine in her dining rooms.

by Anonymousreply 99March 27, 2024 2:53 AM

Any suggestions for turning tomato sauce into a flavorful BBQ sauce? Dried spices? Fresh peppers? Brown sugar vs. molasses?

by Anonymousreply 100March 27, 2024 3:36 AM

63.4% of the posters her are too basic to know the difference between canned "sauce", canned "paste", canned "puree", and canned "tomatoes". And just use any term willy nilly.

by Anonymousreply 101March 27, 2024 3:52 AM

Too basic.

by Anonymousreply 102March 27, 2024 4:58 AM

2 basic

by Anonymousreply 103March 27, 2024 8:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!