Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

MTV the first few minutes- I'm ancient

They actually joked about what was about to happen, in the first video, genius and snarky at the same time. I did not know Pat Benatar was the second video. My gayling self loved it. It was a cultural shift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2024 6:32 PM

Unless you are older and lived through the birth of MTV, you don’t get what a big deal it was. It is gone now but it transformed how new music was rolled out and consumed. Every new song had to have a video and they became increasingly novel and sophisticated, often driving the music itself, it seemed. It was a phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2024 6:06 AM

This video has made the rounds for more than 20 years.

Congrats for finally catching up.

by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2024 6:09 AM

What?

by Anonymousreply 3March 23, 2024 7:36 AM

So what year did this air op?

by Anonymousreply 4March 24, 2024 3:21 AM

R47 it aired 1981 and is still airing! This is first few minutes.

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2024 12:26 AM

There's a video of the first 4 hours of Mtv, complete with commercials on the Internet Archive...sweet deal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2024 1:48 AM

Thanks, R6, I will watch (eventually). The original 5 VJs became celebrities. Mark Goodman seemed the hot one at the time. To me, at least.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 28, 2024 12:41 AM

Goodman was so hot.

by Anonymousreply 8March 28, 2024 12:55 AM

Is Goodman the dude that was put through the wringer when Bowie questioned why there were no black people on Mtv? That was so awkward, though great for Bowie (and he was right, it was Honky city the first couple of years)

I was more from the Kurt Loder/Tabitha Soren/Kennedy era

by Anonymousreply 9March 28, 2024 1:01 AM

I’ve never laid eyes on Tom Goodman before (well I have, I saw the Bowie interview) and believe me, he is definitely the hot one.

by Anonymousreply 10March 28, 2024 1:20 AM

I remember this so well. I was watching, too. It was definitely a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 11March 28, 2024 1:22 AM

Nina Blackwood always sounded like a whorish middle aged cocktail waitress serving beers with a cig in her mouth and her fake tits crammed into a crop top.

by Anonymousreply 12March 28, 2024 1:25 AM

R9, Here you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 28, 2024 1:28 AM

Bowie was just pure class. He wasnt preachy or whiny about it or got on a soap box or acted like "Look at me, aren't I awesome defending the downtrodden", he was quiet, corteous (though he said a mouthful with his eyes) and rational, but still brough up what needed to be brought up.

by Anonymousreply 14March 28, 2024 1:42 AM

People who praise Bowie for not being “preachy and whiny” crack me up. It’s like his gentlemanly demeanour is just as important as him pushing back against Goodman justification of racism, when, of course, it isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2024 5:30 PM

R15 never said it was just as important. All I said is that the man did it with class. Your interpretation is not a fact.

by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2024 5:59 PM

We didn't have cable yet when MTV debuted but several of my friends did. I remember being in my friend's basement watching MTV hit the air. From then on, it was always in the background. My family got cable later that year. And when I left for college, well no one in college had cable, so I had to go without. I would binge watch MTV whenever I was home.

When I was still in high school, probably the same year MTV first came on, my friends and I were buying cases of beer for a party. The man on line behind us said, "Hey, are you kids into MTV?" and we all agreed enthusiastically. He then said that Martha Quinn is his daughter and you could tell he was so proud and knew she was connecting to an entire generation.

by Anonymousreply 17March 28, 2024 6:19 PM

Remember Adam Curry and his gravity defying blond mullet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2024 6:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!