Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mike Gallagher (R-Wis) Resigns From House.

Ken Buck said there were four more after him. Republicans can only lose one vote now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 26, 2024 3:00 AM

One of the “normies” jumping ship. Republicans wanted him to run for the Senate this year against Tammy Baldwin, but he declined. And having recently decided not to run for reelection, he decided just to end his misery as quickly as possible.

by Anonymousreply 1March 22, 2024 7:45 PM

Yeah, it’s disturbing that the normal Republicans are quitting en masse. Are they all going to be replaced by Marjorie Taylor Greenes? When is this Republican mental illness and insanity going to end? When are they going to take back their party from the psychos?

by Anonymousreply 2March 22, 2024 7:49 PM

In before our omnipresent "Hillary voter" informs us how this is devastating news for Biden.

by Anonymousreply 3March 22, 2024 7:49 PM

It’s bad news for the country. We need two sane parties.

by Anonymousreply 4March 22, 2024 7:55 PM

His worry lines are trenches.

by Anonymousreply 5March 22, 2024 7:55 PM

“Mike Gallagher resigns. How this is terrible for Biden and his reelection.”

-NY Times, probably

by Anonymousreply 6March 22, 2024 7:57 PM

I will pay two more of them to resign and give the House to Democrats. I think only two more need to go, right? Or is it four more for power to switch?

by Anonymousreply 7March 22, 2024 7:57 PM

He is Thiel-funded

by Anonymousreply 8March 22, 2024 7:59 PM

I think that’s going to happen R7, at least Buck said it would and he’s been right so far.

by Anonymousreply 9March 22, 2024 8:00 PM

[Quote]When is this Republican mental illness and insanity going to end? When are they going to take back their party from the psychos?

Look at the psychosis that affected Germans in the 1930s. It took 12 years and a world War to end it (or at least drive it back underground).

by Anonymousreply 10March 22, 2024 8:00 PM

Right, R10. I hope we don’t have to go that far.

by Anonymousreply 11March 22, 2024 8:03 PM

[quote]It’s bad news for the country. We need two sane parties.

The day is long past when the few pusillanimous slightly reasonable rightwingers could make a difference in the Republican party.

by Anonymousreply 12March 22, 2024 8:06 PM

I just read that there are four more republicans than democrats. However there will be just a one vote margin after Gallagher leaves. Can someone explain why? Are there members that do not vote?

by Anonymousreply 13March 22, 2024 9:07 PM

Pretty handsome guy . I would …

by Anonymousreply 14March 22, 2024 9:21 PM

Botox consult needed, stat!

by Anonymousreply 15March 22, 2024 9:23 PM

How cowardly but strategic. They can’t speak out, so they drop out slowly.

by Anonymousreply 16March 22, 2024 9:32 PM

[quote] I just read that there are four more republicans than democrats. However there will be just a one vote margin after Gallagher leaves. Can someone explain why? Are there members that do not vote?

When he leaves, the split will be 217-213. If one Republican votes with the Democrats, and assuming everyone votes, the tally would be 216-214. If two Republicans vote with the Democrats, it's 215-215.

by Anonymousreply 17March 22, 2024 9:33 PM

And, oddly, it’s the Republicans now who are more likely to defect from the party line.

by Anonymousreply 18March 22, 2024 9:47 PM

Taking a job with Herr Thiel at Palantir

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 22, 2024 9:49 PM

R19. That self-hating fag!

by Anonymousreply 20March 22, 2024 10:20 PM

Even Republicans don't want to be around CroMarge and Pedo Gaetz

by Anonymousreply 21March 22, 2024 10:57 PM

[quote] And, oddly, it’s the Republicans now who are more likely to defect from the party line.

When was it ever not that way?

by Anonymousreply 22March 22, 2024 11:24 PM

No R2, the normies are in Biden districts. They’re going to be replaced by Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 23March 22, 2024 11:27 PM

[Quote]Look at the psychosis that affected Germans in the 1930s. It took 12 years and a world war to end it (or at least drive it back underground).

[Quote]Right, [R10]. I hope we don’t have to go that far.

Quoting myself and R11 here to also point out that the Republican malignancy has been growing for almost 50 years, almost two generations since Reagan. The reich-wing Republicans in Congress now are the products of parents who believed in neofascist bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 24March 22, 2024 11:31 PM

He looks like Sean Connery circa Thunderball in OP's pic.

by Anonymousreply 25March 22, 2024 11:34 PM

[quote] the normies are in Biden districts. They’re going to be replaced by Democrats.

In my post, I put normies in quotes. If not "normal" by DL standards, the Mike Gallaghers in the House were certainly more "normal" than their MAGAt counterparts.

by Anonymousreply 26March 22, 2024 11:35 PM

One of the more interesting aspects of his announcement:

[quote]Gallagher’s decision to leave April 19 also means that there will not be a special election to fill his seat. Under Wisconsin state law, vacancies after the second Tuesday in April are filled in the general election, so Gallagher’s replacement will be decided in November and his seat will remain empty until January.

He timed it specifically to ensure that there wouldn't be a special election to fill the seat and will remain empty.

by Anonymousreply 27March 22, 2024 11:37 PM

[quote] He timed it specifically to ensure that there wouldn't be a special election to fill the seat and will remain empty.

A fuck-you on the way out, ensuring the end of his political future.

by Anonymousreply 28March 22, 2024 11:41 PM

slowly, very slowly, but surely, this combined with the Republicans starting to announce their non-endorsement of Trump, is the beginning of something larger. These are the pebbles, but I suspect an avalanche is coming.

People are getting sick of the shit, sick of the morons.

by Anonymousreply 29March 22, 2024 11:50 PM

If you look him up online, he's a very handsome guy. He's quite smart too - BUT, consistently cast really shitty votes, as Republicans do.

This 180 is weird. He submitted a vote against impeachment of Mayorkas - but other than that, this is kind of a big surprise.

by Anonymousreply 30March 22, 2024 11:58 PM

He held a very different worldview than his MAGA colleagues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 23, 2024 12:06 AM

R28 He’s got a consulting gig…politician’s salaries are a joke compared to consulting coin.

by Anonymousreply 32March 23, 2024 12:07 AM

[quote] He’s got a consulting gig…politician’s salaries are a joke compared to consulting coin.

Yeah, but this guy had real presidential ambitions, an ambition that could not survive Trump's takeover of the party.

by Anonymousreply 33March 23, 2024 12:10 AM

I hope that’s true R29. I would love for it to be an overwhelming tsunami as the fever is broken, but I’m afraid it will be a trickle and really it will be decades of undoing the damage.

by Anonymousreply 34March 23, 2024 1:32 AM

This is good news !!!! The saner ones are fleeing the sinking ship so the rethugs no longer have the majority ,

A podcaster pointed out it is significant that he is retiring mid April . If he retires sooner, there will be a special election where a rethug gets in

Having waiting thus long, thus will go to a general election in November

by Anonymousreply 35March 23, 2024 2:19 AM

These few who are resigning may genuinely be so disgusted that they really believe it’s best for the Democrats to control the House during and after the election. Could they really be so heroic?

by Anonymousreply 36March 23, 2024 2:44 AM

Not heroic as much as sane, r36.

by Anonymousreply 37March 23, 2024 2:46 AM

[quote]Could they really be so heroic?

They are more likely not as blinded by dogma and recognize the longer-term issues with all of this.

No, I don't think the "love democracy" or are "patriots" or any of that, so much as recognize that they're not serving their own best interests by supporting the nutbags.

by Anonymousreply 38March 23, 2024 4:12 PM

MTG is raging at Mike Johnson insisting he force Gallagher out in time to trigger the special election. Don't think so.

The fact that Gallagher was so tactical about his exit date and Buck's comments about the four of them make me think they went into this with a strategic plan to hobble the extremists. And there's more to come. And it's going to help the Ukraine funding situation. I gather both are NATO supporters.

by Anonymousreply 39March 25, 2024 7:04 PM

Can anyone venture guesses about the other twos' identities?

by Anonymousreply 40March 25, 2024 7:23 PM

I think the "normies" want to leave now where Donald Trump won't try to exact revenge on them for leaving now instead of tagging along until January 6-ish (don't know the date) where any republican congressman that doesn't object to the result if Biden wins will be at the end of Trump's wrath: if he agreed to have Pence hanged he will have no qualm asking from his MAGAts to find the traitors and in pure mob boss style will let them know "that it would be so sad if something really bad happens to those who abandoned me". I think the normies who stay until this day have a death wish.

by Anonymousreply 41March 25, 2024 7:49 PM

He isn't the first Wisconsin republican to bail rather than face anything Trump. DL fave Paul Ryan did the same and it looks like Mike and Paul may be old gym buddies... "Ryan called Gallagher a "good friend"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 25, 2024 7:59 PM

[quote] I just read that there are four more republicans than democrats. However there will be just a one vote margin after Gallagher leaves. Can someone explain why? Are there members that do not vote?

When he leaves it'll be 217 Republicans to 213 Democrats. That's 430 votes total. To have a simple majority during a vote, Republicans need one more than half the total number of votes, which is 216. That means Republicans can't lose more than a single vote from a Republican congressman if they want something to pass.

by Anonymousreply 43March 25, 2024 8:18 PM

^ Thanks, I always find that confusing

by Anonymousreply 44March 25, 2024 8:24 PM

As long as it all ends with MTG getting slimed I’m all for it.

by Anonymousreply 45March 25, 2024 8:36 PM

^ I have really demented fantasies on what I'd like to see happen to that bitch

Anyone got a bucket of water?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 25, 2024 8:48 PM

[quote] I have really demented fantasies on what I'd like to see happen to that bitch

It’s not often you see a deranged DLer admit to be demented. I give the person credit for that moment of forthrightness.

by Anonymousreply 47March 25, 2024 8:53 PM

R46 Remember when she used to babel on about firing squads?

by Anonymousreply 48March 25, 2024 9:15 PM

[quote]I have really demented fantasies on what I'd like to see happen to that bitch

[quote]Anyone got a bucket of water?

It's a pity cave bears and saber-tooth tigers are no longer available to let her go in the traditional manner of her people. Maybe ear infections are the way to go?

by Anonymousreply 49March 25, 2024 10:03 PM

Supposedly, Moses Mike is going to bring the vote for Ukraine aid to floor after Easter. If that does happen, then might we see another --or more than one, depending on the ruling out of a special election to replace them in their district-- soon after?

Good for these Republicans, who are doing this. I am grateful to them for putting our democracy, our country, and world stability over their careers.

by Anonymousreply 50March 26, 2024 1:27 AM

[quote] He submitted a vote against impeachment of Mayorkas - but other than that, this is kind of a big surprise.

That (Mayorkas impeachment) was probably the straw that broke the camel's back R30.

by Anonymousreply 51March 26, 2024 3:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!