Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Will big cats eat smaller cats in the wild?

I was wondering, when they say cats in the wild are predators, do they respect other cats even if they’re different types? For instance, would a hungry lion eat a cheetah?

Or do they sense they’re felines as well, and won’t hunt them as a family courtesy, of sorts.

by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2024 1:07 AM

How the fuck is this a thread on Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 1March 22, 2024 9:46 AM

[quote] Will big cats eat smaller cats in the wild?

I certainly hope not.

by Anonymousreply 2March 22, 2024 9:48 AM

Yes, OP. I remember watching a PBS special many years ago about lions who stalked and hunted cheetahs.

by Anonymousreply 3March 22, 2024 9:53 AM

Around here Bob cats eat house cats.

by Anonymousreply 4March 22, 2024 9:57 AM

Don't Fuck With Cats

by Anonymousreply 5March 22, 2024 10:19 AM

Yes they will.

Mountain lions regularly prey on house cats in California. Kill and eat. There are doorbell cam videos of it.

Lions will often kill leopards in Africa. Sometimes they do it to cut down on competition. However, interestingly sometimes lionesses will pin a leopard down but not kill it. They’ll even protect the leopard from the lion if he tries to kill the leopard.

by Anonymousreply 6March 22, 2024 10:46 AM

Stealth cannibalism thread.

by Anonymousreply 7March 22, 2024 10:54 AM

Thank you for your answers! I know I’ve seen bigger types of fish eat smaller fish on nature shows (and what a surprise when they come snapping out of nowhere!) but I never pondered other animals doing it.

Will eagles and vultures etc. eat smaller birds?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 22, 2024 7:25 PM

[quote]R6 sometimes lionesses will pin a leopard down but not kill it. They’ll even protect the leopard from the lion if he tries to kill the leopard.

Precious baby angels.

by Anonymousreply 9March 22, 2024 7:29 PM

Maul face thread.

by Anonymousreply 10March 22, 2024 7:59 PM

[quote] For instance, would a hungry lion eat a cheetah?

You'd have to catch me first, Mufasa. Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 11March 22, 2024 8:03 PM

Stealth catfight thread.

by Anonymousreply 12March 22, 2024 8:21 PM

OP, yes, birds hunt other birds.

You should go tell your mom that she needs to step up her online safeguard game, don't spoil your dinner with sweets, and stay off my lawn!

by Anonymousreply 13March 22, 2024 8:41 PM

Killing to reduce competition or maintain dominance is different than killing and then eating for food.

by Anonymousreply 14March 22, 2024 8:42 PM

Meow

by Anonymousreply 15March 22, 2024 8:42 PM

My understanding is that they usually do not- Lions will kill cheetas if they can catch them but do not eat them. Predators (in the wild) compete.

by Anonymousreply 16March 22, 2024 9:09 PM

No idea, but have you ever seen a hawk take out a pigeon? Brutal

by Anonymousreply 17March 22, 2024 9:17 PM

OP, my cats would eat ME if I ran short on their Smalls.™️

by Anonymousreply 18March 22, 2024 9:28 PM

R18 Housecats are the most sadistic killers because it's just sport for them. I was given a puppy that I had to rehome (had it for less than a full day), the ragdoll I had, was 3 yrs old and 'clicking', I'd never heard of that behavior at 20, but I had a friend who was amazing with animals, I asked them what the cat was doing and they explained, the dog would likely be dead within the week if I kept it.

by Anonymousreply 19March 22, 2024 9:45 PM

If the rag doll you had started clicking, you have more to worry about than just rehoming that puppy. Jesus Christ, burn that thing in an incinerator!!!

by Anonymousreply 20March 22, 2024 10:00 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 22, 2024 10:16 PM

I cry foul, r19.

by Anonymousreply 22March 22, 2024 11:42 PM

Datalounge is NOT the place to discuss eating pussy.

by Anonymousreply 23March 23, 2024 2:44 AM

Apparently they do not routinely eat each other, unless under some stress, mothers seem to eat their kittens the most, I can see that, human mothers often do it too. I've never seen any lions or tigers stalking and hunting, and eating each other, unless it's the same place where the cows eat meat, I've heard that too.

by Anonymousreply 24March 23, 2024 8:21 AM

Internet says over half of mountain lions have cat or dog in stomach content analysis. So yes! They have lots of problems in India, with big cats eating family dogs. The dogs bark and attract tiger or leopard. So yeah, they're predatory. Keep the pets safe! Unless you have a cheetah, which can probably take care of itself.

by Anonymousreply 25March 23, 2024 11:55 AM

Chimps also commonly hunt and eat monkeys ( it is gruesome and heartbreaking and terrifying to observe) so there's no family loyalty among apex predators.

by Anonymousreply 26March 23, 2024 11:59 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 23, 2024 12:28 PM

[Quote]Apparently they do not routinely eat each other, unless under some stress, mothers seem to eat their kittens the most, I can see that, human mothers often do it too.

by Anonymousreply 28March 23, 2024 12:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 23, 2024 1:03 PM

The pussy wants what the pussy wants.

by Anonymousreply 30March 23, 2024 1:17 PM

[quote] mothers seem to eat their kittens the most, I can see that, human mothers often do it too

And the evidence disappears just like that! And they’re doing it often, you say? Imagine.

by Anonymousreply 31March 23, 2024 1:27 PM

By the way, here’s the video of the lionesses defending the leopard. I refreshed my memory. It turns out they were “protecting” it the same way you might protect your potatoes from another diner reaching over to spear some.

In the end (you don’t see this in the video) the leopard was killed and eaten by the lions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 23, 2024 2:42 PM

They'll eat smaller cats at your house if you have a Bengal and regular domestic cats. Cats don't give a fuck, and that's why we love them.

by Anonymousreply 33March 23, 2024 3:18 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 23, 2024 3:21 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 23, 2024 3:22 PM

Yes, they will, but more often than not will simply kill them as competition for resources.

Also, there are several domestic sized cats that are wild, such as the Pallas cat, as well as several that look like cute domestic ones, such as the Sand Cat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 23, 2024 3:26 PM

[quote]Datalounge is NOT the place to discuss eating pussy.

Says who?

by Anonymousreply 37March 23, 2024 3:32 PM

R22 You think I couldn't disembowel a little rat dog puppy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 23, 2024 11:23 PM

They eat the cats and dogs because there isn't anything else, and people have moved too close to their areas. People provide food, their fluffy pets, what will else can happen?

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2024 12:30 AM

Is this thread about rescue Bengal cats?

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2024 1:05 AM

This thread is making me HORNY as HELL.

by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2024 1:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!