Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Nantucket

I just need a little paint.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 26, 2024 3:24 AM

But if you prefer something more grand . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 22, 2024 3:36 AM

It doesn't look like much, but step inside, it's divine. I'll take it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 22, 2024 3:38 AM

OP's shack was evidently abandoned by hoarders. What a mess. It's a raze and rebuild. Buying for lot.

by Anonymousreply 3March 22, 2024 3:41 AM

Ok I don't get it. Nantucket is an island in Massachusetts. These houses are in Connecticut and Rhode Island.

by Anonymousreply 4March 22, 2024 3:42 AM

It looks like the haunted house from It.

by Anonymousreply 5March 22, 2024 3:42 AM

The one in Watch Hill is quite a pile. The "hoarders" house has been 2/3 renovated inside.

by Anonymousreply 6March 22, 2024 3:46 AM

I live on the West Coast. I obviously don't know RI from MA. Oops.

I love the charm of it all.

by Anonymousreply 7March 22, 2024 3:53 AM

I found it! I found my Rhode Island dream home! It's in Newport and it's on the water.

It's a toss up though between this one and the one on What's Up Road.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 22, 2024 3:59 AM

Well I googled Nantucket, thinking it was in RI, and houses in multiple states came up. I think I know where things are then look at a map and everything's moved.

by Anonymousreply 9March 22, 2024 4:03 AM

Oopsie! I don't know geography! I'm a moron! I love the charm of it all!

by Anonymousreply 10March 22, 2024 5:15 AM

It looks like a house out of a Stephen King book.

by Anonymousreply 11March 22, 2024 5:27 AM

They only moved the headstones!

by Anonymousreply 12March 22, 2024 5:28 AM

There once was a man from Nantucket, with a dick so long he could suck it.

He said, with a grin, as he wiped off his chin, "If my ear were a cunt I could fuck it."

by Anonymousreply 13March 22, 2024 5:29 AM

Connecticut, dumbfuck Op.

by Anonymousreply 14March 22, 2024 5:37 AM

What style of house is in the op other than teardown.

The listing is priced at 600,000 and has been on market for over 100 days

by Anonymousreply 15March 22, 2024 5:51 AM

#2. That’s a lovely house, as a New Englander I love that timeless look.

by Anonymousreply 16March 22, 2024 5:59 AM

OP's house is pending, under contract. So someone must want it.

by Anonymousreply 17March 22, 2024 6:22 AM

I want all the contraptions up in the OP attic.

by Anonymousreply 18March 22, 2024 6:35 AM

Does it come with its own Thing? I could use a hand here and there.

by Anonymousreply 19March 22, 2024 6:47 AM

I love the OP house but I’m not sure why. I would restore. But there’s no kitchen in the floor plans.

by Anonymousreply 20March 22, 2024 7:05 AM

Yes there is

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 22, 2024 7:29 AM

OP's house is beautiful, but it needs a LOT of work. And god knows what structural/ electrical/ plumbing issues are lurking. It does say there is "updated electrical" in the main living area, but I wouldnt be taking anything for granted. I suspect you'd need to budget another $500-600K to restore it on top of purchase price, plus it needs a total landscaping. R20 there is a kitchen, its right at the back on the ground floor, and not very big. I'd imagine that needs redoing and enlargening. There is also a three car garage although I dont see it, I'd work on the assumption its about to fall down.

Flood risk is minimal according to the listing, which given its right on a river I find difficult to believe. It could be an absolutely stunning home though, and the fact that it is in the state it is means its pretty much a blank slate to bring back to its original look or whatever you want to do with it

The house at R1 is lovely too, especially the interior. Its built in 1937. Its way too big to take on for most though, you need either deep pockets to maintain it or a group of people to take it on as a collective

R3's house is nice, I'm not that keen on all the beams though, I love all the wallpaper though, really lifts that house from pleasant enough to beautiful. Its a good size too

R8's house is quite stunning too

I like all of them, but OP's one has potential to be incredible in the right hands

by Anonymousreply 22March 22, 2024 7:46 AM

I'm fascinated by all the wooden, multi-storey homes in the US. In Australia, houses tend to be made of brick and the majority are single-storey. Then there's all the mail-order homes that people in the US have been living in for so long. With our culture of waiting for a builder who takes at least a year to start building a home, it's quite fascinating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 22, 2024 9:50 AM

There once was a house in Nantucket

That would fall in a heap if you struck it

But the OP said "swell!"

The DL said "hell"

And the Tasteful Friends simply sniffed "fuck it."

by Anonymousreply 24March 22, 2024 11:08 AM

Connecticut!

by Anonymousreply 25March 22, 2024 11:12 AM

R8, Big personality, it’s like living in a yacht. I love it. It feels very solid which is a good feeling for a house overlooking the water. A lot of planning went into the design so it would be very comfortable.

R3, I can picture myself in that house just from the photos…taken early on a June morning. Will get a bit warmer around noon but now it’s crisp and cool.

by Anonymousreply 26March 22, 2024 11:39 AM

$600K, OP? Good God, how much must that land be worth.

by Anonymousreply 27March 22, 2024 11:54 AM

OP - Does it already come with the bodies in the basement?

by Anonymousreply 28March 22, 2024 11:54 AM

LOVE IT!

by Anonymousreply 29March 22, 2024 11:54 AM

R28, that wasn't mentioned in the listing but perhaps there is one or two stuffed in the walls.

by Anonymousreply 30March 22, 2024 5:09 PM

In my next Tasteful Friends thread I shall call it "Manhattan" and show listings from Missouri.

by Anonymousreply 31March 22, 2024 5:10 PM

Mother wanted me to come out in a kimono, so we had quite a fight.

by Anonymousreply 32March 22, 2024 5:11 PM

God, I wish I lived in Connecticut!

by Anonymousreply 33March 22, 2024 6:14 PM

I remember reading my sister's Babysitter Club books as a very young, gay bookworm and pronouncing Connecticut in my simple Australian head as Conneckt-ee-cutt. My parents laughed heartily when I wonderingly asked out loud about it.

by Anonymousreply 34March 22, 2024 11:46 PM

It needs fire

by Anonymousreply 35March 23, 2024 3:05 AM

The first house, OP posted is a ramshackle mess, but there are some elements of it that I like. For instance that big wood burning stove. Bit, still even in that shape they want over half a million dollars. Why? Because of the land?

by Anonymousreply 36March 23, 2024 3:07 AM

R36 - Yes. And if you think land is expensive, wait a decade or two to see what potable water will cost.

by Anonymousreply 37March 23, 2024 1:03 PM

Stonington is not Nantucket. wtf is even happening in this thread?

Lay off the meth OP

by Anonymousreply 38March 23, 2024 1:27 PM

OP again. I shall explain my errors. I am older and awaiting cataract surgery. My vision is blurry and I have difficulty reading. I am a native San Franciscan and have been to the East Coast several times. It's quite a different coast line and I love it. I am admittedly confused about the placement of various smaller cities and states. I also enjoy reading maps and am fascinated by the seaport vibes on Rhode Island, Nantucket, Chesapeake Bay, Cape Cod, and other locations on the Eastern Seaboard. But they do move around in my memory.

I was looking to peruse RI real estate for fun, especially seaside places with blue water and white fences other distinct aspects of that region. I was not zoomed in enough and mistook Nantucket for part or RI and gave it little thought. When I entered RI real estate in Realtor.com all sorts of little towns and states came up. Thus, my errors. In my haste to share the fun places I found I paid little attention to the actual locations. Please accept my apologies although I'm also laughing at myself.

Short story long, I hope you enjoyed the homes as well as mocking my carelessness.

Here is a genuine Nantucket home. I can't afford it but it I could I'd invite you all to stay with me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 23, 2024 3:52 PM

Grey Garden's cleaned up quite nicely. It was a wreck; gaping holes, animals living inside, rot galore. Really nice now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 23, 2024 5:01 PM

That’s just added gloss… the true restoration famously done by the Bradlees. Duh—learn your Hamptons history.

by Anonymousreply 41March 23, 2024 5:19 PM

Look Op/Kate Middleton, we at DL do not care for your medical excuses. Confusing Nantucket with CT is enough for the death sentence. Get it together toots.

by Anonymousreply 42March 23, 2024 5:20 PM

From Niantic to Noank...

by Anonymousreply 43March 23, 2024 5:25 PM

From Nanuet to Newport

by Anonymousreply 44March 23, 2024 5:30 PM

From Lisbon to Lebanon.

by Anonymousreply 45March 23, 2024 6:01 PM

[quote]seaport vibes on Rhode Island

I sincerely hope you know that Rhode Island is not an island, Miss Cartographile

by Anonymousreply 46March 23, 2024 6:05 PM

I love the old stove and hopefully it gets preserved as for the rest of it some matches will take care of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 47March 23, 2024 6:12 PM

You know, there once was a girl from there.

by Anonymousreply 48March 23, 2024 6:13 PM

Did she know the man from there, r48?

by Anonymousreply 49March 23, 2024 6:16 PM

The condition of the house (visible and inferred) doesn't bother me at all. The exterior is reasonably attractive and would clean up well. The interior though is lackluster: not much architecture; what is their is middling and a little mean in proportion and details. You could improve upon it, but only so much.

by Anonymousreply 50March 23, 2024 7:24 PM

The house like six doors from OP’s house was used as the facade for the home of the mother of the Julia Roberts character in Mystic Pizza. Just a little bit of trivia for you.

by Anonymousreply 51March 24, 2024 12:28 AM

Live like it’s Grey Gardens. Poor but dressed every day like it’s Easter and an old Volvo in the driveway. Neighbors get stories of “the old days” and your life in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 52March 24, 2024 12:40 AM

R40 - Sure, but they can get rid of the old lady stank. It's as permanent as are the 10M smoked cigarettes and linked rivers of cat pee.

by Anonymousreply 53March 25, 2024 5:09 PM

[quote]Grey Garden's cleaned up quite nicely. It was a wreck; gaping holes, animals living inside, rot galore. Really nice now.

I'm told that on damp days you can still smell the cat pee.

by Anonymousreply 54March 25, 2024 5:18 PM

R54 That’s the smell of distrust and agoraphobia.

by Anonymousreply 55March 26, 2024 2:04 AM

Manhattan is in KANSAS, OP. Not Missouri.

by Anonymousreply 56March 26, 2024 2:14 AM

r40 Liz Lange's taste is ghastly. My eyes feel burnt after seeing those pictures. To think of the money that must have been spent on all that. I read that she had the house lifted up to create a basement gym and wine cellar. The house was already massive, they couldn't have found a spot for that in the existing rooms? It reminds me of the movie The Swimmer with Burt Lancaster when he gets to the nouveau riche people's party and Joan Rivers is there. That's how I imagine their house looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 26, 2024 3:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!