Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elton John and Bernie Taupin honored with prestigious Library of Congress Gershwin Prize

Sir Elton John and lyricist Bernie Taupin were honored with the prestigious Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song, making a point to underscore that their musical legacy is in harmony with their philanthropy, especially the Elton John AIDS Foundation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 17, 2024 12:19 PM

Well-deserved. Not necessarily for Sir Elton's AIDS work, although he can and should win other awards for that. It's the music of John and Taupin that has stood the test of time. I listened to it in the 70's and I still listen to it now. I was playing Take Me to the Pilot just the other day.

by Anonymousreply 1March 22, 2024 12:57 AM

"All my heroes were American".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 22, 2024 2:15 AM

Goodby Yellow Brick Road is a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 3March 22, 2024 2:19 AM

Anyone watching? It’s on PBS right now.

Lots of famous attendees shown so far, even Joni Mitchell showed up in her cap and braids!

by Anonymousreply 4April 9, 2024 1:08 AM

Brandi Carlisle was great.

by Anonymousreply 5April 9, 2024 1:20 AM

Joni was great and Annie Lennox was one of her backup singers!

by Anonymousreply 6April 9, 2024 1:23 AM

“But then again…no”

by Anonymousreply 7April 9, 2024 1:23 AM

Yes. Uplifting, exhilarating, and moving tribute to two giants in music. Standing O for all the musicians who are just incredible.

by Anonymousreply 8April 9, 2024 1:25 AM

Their best work was ages ago. No one plays their music now.

by Anonymousreply 9April 9, 2024 1:31 AM

There's just some people who manage to find each other and do something great. Bernie and Elton are a perfect example. I don't think one could have done it without the other.

by Anonymousreply 10April 9, 2024 1:32 AM

[quote] Their best work was ages ago. No one plays their music now.

If they want to find another do-gooder award to give him fine but be honest about it.

Other than his dead blonde song Elton's innovative and influential music began and ended in the early to mid 70s. For decades now he has been just slightly above a Vegas lounge act doing the occasional wedding..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 9, 2024 1:43 AM

I love Carla Hayden.

by Anonymousreply 12April 9, 2024 1:58 AM

Congrats, you two old fags!

by Anonymousreply 13April 9, 2024 2:18 AM

Wow, R6 Joni Mitchell really did knock I’m Still Standing out of the park! Just a fantastic moment.

by Anonymousreply 14April 9, 2024 2:24 AM

an excerpt / i'm still standing / joni

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 9, 2024 2:52 AM

Joni sounds better as a singer now than she did in her prime. Her voice has so much grit now, like Billie Holiday's.

by Anonymousreply 16April 9, 2024 2:57 AM

Joni's songs have held-up better and had more lasting influence than John-Taupin. She's always seemed like an annoying person and a very ungenerous performer (she seems to purposely avoid encores that feature what the crowd wants), but the music is more meaningful.

by Anonymousreply 17April 9, 2024 12:37 PM

[quote]Goodby Yellow Brick Road is a masterpiece.

And no one sang it better than Sara

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 9, 2024 4:02 PM

Excuse me, but **I** am the queen of this thread, not Joni!

by Anonymousreply 19April 9, 2024 4:50 PM

////

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 17, 2024 6:50 AM

/////

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 17, 2024 6:56 AM

/////

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 17, 2024 7:03 AM

////

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 17, 2024 7:39 AM

I was listening to Tiny Dancer in a kickboxing class the other day (our instructor will play anything and everything) and yes, it was super-saturated a few years ago, blah blah, but damn if it isn’t a gorgeously written and produced song. Their songs run from transcendent to simple and there is really no other musical partnership like theirs. They needed each other.

by Anonymousreply 24April 17, 2024 8:12 AM

[quote] but damn if it isn’t a gorgeously written and produced song

It is indeed but note it was a hit 52 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 25April 17, 2024 9:09 AM

Here's something I was reminded of watching parts of the program... Elton cannot enunciate well when singing. The lyrics to "Daniel" create an interesting story, but in Elton's mouth, much is lost (for me).

The same with "I'm Still Standing". I understand Joni clearly, but never caught all of Taupin's lyrics coming from Elton.

by Anonymousreply 26April 17, 2024 9:27 AM

Mothing changes my opinion of him being, in the words of Spy Magazine, a "Coaster".

by Anonymousreply 27April 17, 2024 11:38 AM

R25

And? The Beatles came to America 60 years ago and their music is still important and enjoyable. The point of the thread is about their receiving the Gershwin Prize for their body of work, not whether or not they’ve had recent hits.

by Anonymousreply 28April 17, 2024 12:06 PM

Those complaining that Elton and Bernie peaked years ago—this is a lifetime achievement award meant to go to enduring work.

by Anonymousreply 29April 17, 2024 12:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!