Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Late Night With the Devil

It looks really good. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 26, 2024 2:02 AM

Going to tonight's 9:15pm showing.

I love David Dastmalchian so it should be fun.

by Anonymousreply 1March 22, 2024 12:36 AM

I enjoyed it...

The commitment to the 1977 aesthetic was great including the graphics and music.

by Anonymousreply 2March 22, 2024 4:27 AM

I'm going to see it tomorrow night. I love horror movies.

by Anonymousreply 3March 22, 2024 4:33 AM

Stupid "controversy" over the use of AI.

The AI consists of three still images used as commercial break bumpers during the broadcast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 22, 2024 12:52 PM

I saw it last night and loved it. Original and freaky.

by Anonymousreply 5March 23, 2024 5:26 AM

Made a spur of the moment decision to see this Sunday night. There were more people there than I'd expected. Apparently word-of-mouth has done the film well, as it marked the most profitable opening weekend in history for IFC Films.

I really loved the movie—it's a unique, wacky ride, and the period details were nicely executed. The ending went a bit off the rails, but still all good fun. One of the more entertaining experiences I've had in the theater for a long time. I may go see it for a second time.

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2024 2:24 AM

I found David Dastmalchian weirdly sexy in this film

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2024 2:28 AM

This reminds of “Repossessed”, a satire of “The Exorcist” starring Linda Blair and Leslie Neilson - a live exorcism on tv.

by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2024 2:44 AM

On Shudder as of tomorrow 4/19.

by Anonymousreply 9April 19, 2024 2:50 AM

Thanks r9, I've been meaning to see this, but am too lazy.

by Anonymousreply 10April 19, 2024 3:19 AM

a nasty and delicious, unapologetic pastiche with a flair for menace. I had a blast.

by Anonymousreply 11April 19, 2024 3:45 AM

My goodness this was so much fun. I love the commitment to being fully immersed in the show. Reddit says....

SPOILER SPOILER That you can see the ghost of his wife in a lot of shots, in reflections. Guess it was more apparent on the big screen.

I'll ave to watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2024 1:08 AM

I’m gonna watch tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 13April 20, 2024 1:28 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. David D. was eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2024 1:40 AM

I see it's free on AMC. I'd watch now, but it's probably better if I watch it during daytime.🐓

Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2024 1:56 AM

That was my thought, R15

by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2024 1:59 AM

R14 I thought so too. I saw it in the theater and getting to see his ass and thighs in those slacks at such a high resolution was distracting.

by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2024 2:05 AM

Has echoes of that awful movie that ended Jodie Foster's directing career.. How interesting can "taking over a studio" be?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 20, 2024 2:25 AM

Not a bad film. What was the ending about?

by Anonymousreply 19April 20, 2024 2:36 AM

R12, the film made that explicitly clear.

by Anonymousreply 20April 20, 2024 2:36 AM

[quote] [R12], the film made that explicitly clear.

I am laughing—imaging R20 saying that in the voice of Bette Davis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 20, 2024 3:01 AM

I did a week free trial of Shudder so I could watch! I just started it 5 minutes ago!

by Anonymousreply 22April 20, 2024 3:23 AM

Very good. Did they clarify the tall trees meeting part or is it meant to be a mystery where they first met.

by Anonymousreply 23April 20, 2024 4:35 AM

R20, I only saw her once, before she put her hand on his shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 24April 20, 2024 5:54 AM

[quote]Very good. Did they clarify the tall trees meeting part or is it meant to be a mystery where they first met.

The "tall trees" meeting was referring to the Bohemian Grove type secret society that Delroy belonged to. His involvement was mentioned in the opening segment of the movie. They conjured the demon to gain riches but it demanded a sacrifice -- Jack's wife Minnie.

by Anonymousreply 25April 20, 2024 3:26 PM

Some of the acting was flat out terrible. The skeptic and the producer were way too hammy.

by Anonymousreply 26April 20, 2024 5:29 PM

It was meh.

by Anonymousreply 27April 20, 2024 10:48 PM

For what it was, I thought it was great. The budget was less than two million. Imagine if David Fincher did this film with $100M.

by Anonymousreply 28April 20, 2024 11:57 PM

[quote]The budget was less than two million

The fact that budget was so small and yet there were still 90 seconds worth of production company logos at the start pretty much sums up how fucked the film business is

by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2024 12:27 AM

This movie blew chunks. I hate how dumbed down society has become that crap like this is considered masterful.

by Anonymousreply 30April 21, 2024 10:26 PM

Who exactly was manning the b/w camera between commercial breaks? How did they get up right into everybody’s face while they were having private conversations and nobody seemed to mind?

by Anonymousreply 31April 21, 2024 10:29 PM

Maybe everything is happening in Jack's mind right before he stabs Lily.

by Anonymousreply 32April 21, 2024 10:33 PM

Some of the acting was terrible. The psychic, the skeptic..,

by Anonymousreply 33April 21, 2024 10:40 PM

r31 I thought that choice was really odd - just have them stay on set and say the TV cameras continued to record during the breaks.

There's a British TV show called Inside No. 9, which is written by two of the League of Gentlemen, Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton, and I would've loved to see them do this story. They've done period TV stuff before and really nailed it, and I think they could've come up with a more satisfying ending.

by Anonymousreply 34April 21, 2024 10:49 PM

The ending left me wanting. It started off promisingly. They needed to explore/clarify his involvement in the dark arts.

The acting was meh.

I know it's an arthouse film but it could have been better.

by Anonymousreply 35April 21, 2024 11:08 PM

This movie was so bad, I'm surprised A24 didn't release it.

by Anonymousreply 36April 21, 2024 11:25 PM

I thought that choice was really odd - just have them stay on set and say the TV cameras continued to record during the breaks.

Plus the fact that this was supposed to be a "found footage" movie. They even say at the beginning that they found the broadcast of this buried somewhere after 40 years. If that's so, then forget about the stuff during the commercial breaks (which is rule breaking enough), how on earth would we have seen the host's whole little breakdown and montage of explanation since it's only happening in his head.

Massive failure of a movie.

by Anonymousreply 37April 21, 2024 11:28 PM

During one of those backstage conversations with his producer, you could see his dead wife in the reflection of the mirror as they walk away.

by Anonymousreply 38April 22, 2024 2:58 AM

I loved it, and the girl who played Lilly was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 39April 25, 2024 7:47 PM

Terrible film that promised what it clearly could not deliver and then didn't deliver it. The male lead was fine as someone harried and vulnerable, but he lacked the charisma needed to convince as a late night host and his supposedly witty banter was run-of-the-mill put-downs. The girl playing the possessed character was very good, however - her weird mannerisms were completely believable as the surviving victim of a suicidal cult.

The ending made no sense, and neither did our ability to skip from "found footage" to the backstage drama and the host's final vision.

Not sure how to solve the problem save for not inventing it in the first place (no reason to pass this off as found footage).

3/10

by Anonymousreply 40April 25, 2024 11:24 PM

I thought it was a lot of fun merely for the novelty aspect. I found it very entertaining. I saw it and "Immaculate" in the theater during the same weekend. Originally I thought "Late Night with the Devil" was the better film, but I rewatched both and I now have a higher opinion of "Immaculate" than I did upon first viewing. Still thought both were great though.

by Anonymousreply 41April 26, 2024 1:35 AM

The host sort of reminded me of Jay Leno.

by Anonymousreply 42April 26, 2024 2:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!