Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Palm Royale” premiere on AppleTV 3/20

I’ve watched two episodes and I totally love it - some amazing actresses, fabulous costumes, very funny, some hot guys including Ricky Martin who looks great - but not as hot as the Tennis Pro, and very well done. It’s an instant camp classic!

by Anonymousreply 24April 4, 2024 1:26 AM

Saw the first episode, which seemed flat. Hope it gets better. It's only getting 54% on Rotten Tomatoes. But what a cast!

by Anonymousreply 1March 21, 2024 3:11 AM

What is this supposed to be?

by Anonymousreply 2March 21, 2024 3:55 AM

It’s awful. Style over substance. Wiig hams for the camera … every goddamn scene.

by Anonymousreply 3March 21, 2024 3:55 AM

R3 - it’s supposed be campy and she’s playing it over the top

by Anonymousreply 4March 21, 2024 11:35 AM

R4, fun for an SNL skit, not so much for ten episodes

by Anonymousreply 5March 21, 2024 11:38 AM

It's a terrible performance by Wig. It's not high camp. It's low camp. Look it up.

Wig produced it and gave herself complete liberty. It could have been good if she had strong direction to modulate. This applies to many of the other actresses. Who are mugging to the camera.

by Anonymousreply 6March 21, 2024 10:06 PM

Did they use CGI on Laura Dern in her first scene? She looks 30ish. Wig also looks fantastic. But I hate her performance, as mentioned in R6. Maybe I'll try episode 2 this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 7March 21, 2024 10:11 PM

Was really looking forward to this but couldn’t make it through the first episode

by Anonymousreply 8March 22, 2024 12:49 AM

I love this premise but dislike Kristen Wiig.

by Anonymousreply 9March 22, 2024 12:58 AM

When Laura Dern first appeared I thought that it was Nicole Kidman in her Big Little Lies wig.

by Anonymousreply 10March 22, 2024 1:37 AM

First ep does drag a little in its setup but really picked up in the last 5-10 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 11March 28, 2024 3:41 AM

You can't 'make' Camp. Camp is unintentional.

by Anonymousreply 12March 28, 2024 7:19 AM

Does Ricky Martin have any nude scenes in the same vein of White Lotus?

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2024 12:42 AM

No, R13, he doesn’t. As a matter of fact, the show is as risqué as a 1960’s sitcom.

Palm Royale has all the ingredients needed for a fun, camp classic, but it ends up trying to do too much quite poorly. I was particularly disappointed by the way Julia Duffy is completely squandered, playing a lifeless socialite.

Kristin Wiig is okay. She looks amazing…but it’s hard to watch her without yearning for her to do something hilarious. She did kind of meet expectations when she’s giving Kaia Gerber’s character advice on how to walk a runway.

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2024 1:04 AM

It fucking stinks!

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2024 3:32 AM

I always knew Natalie Greene would end up in Palm Beach.

by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2024 9:40 PM

It’s OK. I really wanted to like this. But it seems to drag in spots.

by Anonymousreply 17March 29, 2024 9:46 PM

Everyone is way too old. Kristen Wiig looks amazing in all the circa 1970 Palm Beach socialite costuming but she should have insisted on a more fully cooked script and asked for (a funnier version of) the Allison Janney part.

Helene Yorke should be playing the Kristen Wiig part. Greta Gerwig should be playing the Laura Dern part.

Leslie Bibb is too “runner up to Miss Tennessee” herself to be playing the unhappily married blue blooded brunette - which would have been a fun part for someone like Katie Holmes.

Give the Julia Duffy character something to do and then give it to Amy Sedaris. You can’t tell me they couldn’t have gotten Eva Longoria to play the Cuban.

by Anonymousreply 18March 29, 2024 10:52 PM

It’s not horrible, but it’s slowly going nowhere fast. I’m guessing Robert is going to be Norma’s illegitimate son or something. I don’t know why Kaia Gerber keeps getting foisted on us… ah, yes… nepo baby. I’m enjoying the costumes and sets more than anything.

by Anonymousreply 19March 30, 2024 2:42 PM

Lots of Ricky Martin in short bathing trunks, and his body is in great shape but is also very period (i.e. he doesn't look like he's just been to Gold's Gym or Equinox). You can tell he's had work done on his face, though. I don't see why he wanted to do this, though--he's just playing a houseboy.

The show is hard to watch because every episode involves Maxine having to come up with some ridiculous amount of money and they never convincingly explain how she gets away with coming up with it illegally.

The other problem is that it's impossible to care whether she makes it in society or not because the other society women are so hateful and poisonous.

by Anonymousreply 20March 30, 2024 10:05 PM

You can make camp on purpose. See, for example, Charles Busch

by Anonymousreply 21March 30, 2024 10:09 PM

I watched the first 30 min then changed the channel. It isn’t my kind of shit.

by Anonymousreply 22March 30, 2024 10:17 PM

Who is Ricky Martin’s plastic surgeon? I need to know cuz he looks damn good for 52.

by Anonymousreply 23April 3, 2024 11:45 PM

You “changed the channel” r22?

Did you use the clicker?

by Anonymousreply 24April 4, 2024 1:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!