Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

So Help me God, I'm watching S2 of "So Help me Todd"

This craptastic series stars real actress Marcia Gay Harden and yet it's written for and performed to the peanut gallery. If it is even written by a person, and not second string A.I.

Episode 3 Season 2 guest stars Sandra Bernhard, serving her curdled lesbian.. er. thespian finest.

As with Season1, best consumed while my attention is applied to weightier tasks such as dreary housework or online banking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2024 9:34 AM

I can't watch the Skylar nimrod. He annoys me to look at him.

by Anonymousreply 1March 6, 2024 9:37 PM

I watched this last week while waiting for another show. What a steaming pile of absolute, unfunny, schticky and cringeworthy crap. Almost could not look away it was so actively bad.

by Anonymousreply 2March 6, 2024 9:56 PM

Oh man, I remember wanting to do some gay things with Skylar back in the day and so I put this in my to-watch queue. Should I just as fast delete it?

by Anonymousreply 3March 6, 2024 10:19 PM

I know a couple people who really like this.

by Anonymousreply 4March 6, 2024 10:21 PM

It's no Will Trent.

by Anonymousreply 5March 6, 2024 11:26 PM

Why is Skylar disliked?

by Anonymousreply 6March 6, 2024 11:29 PM

I find it pretty enjoyable. Of course it's not going to win any awards, but it's still better than NCIS or whatever else CBS is airing.

by Anonymousreply 7March 6, 2024 11:31 PM

R2 yes it's SUPER BAD and basic as fuck. I have a life long dalliance with slumming and this show appeals to that itch. Like the way I adored Gatlinburg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 6, 2024 11:35 PM

R7 it's enjoyable how obvious and telescoped all the intrigue is. I would like to see more of Beverly the managing partner. And they should bring Sandra back again.

They are amping up the meta/theatrical plotting and it's so heavy-handed that I find it charming.

by Anonymousreply 9March 6, 2024 11:40 PM

Skylar Astin Lipstein married for three years to Anna Camp. Is he on our team?

by Anonymousreply 10March 6, 2024 11:49 PM

Oh OP, I'm so so sorry! Do you want me to call the police and tell them someone is FORCING you to watch it???

by Anonymousreply 11March 6, 2024 11:52 PM

You could contact my alma maters to have them revoke my degrees.

by Anonymousreply 12March 7, 2024 1:17 AM

I loved the Lisa Rinna character from S2 E1. Her lips were fuck’n gargantuan.

by Anonymousreply 13March 7, 2024 2:01 AM

Indeed. I hope these trashy guest stars continue through the season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 7, 2024 2:07 AM

I watched Season 1 last year and enjoyed it. I've always liked Marcia Gay Harden, and fell in love with Skylar watching this show. S2 is in my 'YoutubeTV library' so I'll have to catch up with the episodes this weekend. I hope Skylar is as cute this season as he was last season.

by Anonymousreply 15March 7, 2024 3:19 AM

Needs more singing and dancing.

by Anonymousreply 16March 7, 2024 3:33 AM

Hate watching?

by Anonymousreply 17March 7, 2024 3:40 AM

I enjoyed the first season, especially Marcia Gay Harden of course, but also Todd's sister. For some reason though season 2 doesn't grab me as much as season 1 and I cannot quite say why. Maybe there is a little depth missing. Love Madeline Wise as the sister. But the sister being just another trainwreck in the family doesn't help the character or the show. The writers really ruin her.

Skyler Astin is pretty good in this role, but his character too needs more depth. Being super animated is only fun if he gets balanced at least a bit.

by Anonymousreply 18March 7, 2024 12:35 PM

I like it. It reminds me of Murder She Wrote, with everything neatly solved and tied up each episode.

by Anonymousreply 19March 7, 2024 1:17 PM

Skylar is cute but I have to assume he’s wearing a hairpiece or some kind of implant system. His hair looks completely unnatural. Would still get on my knees to worship his nethers

by Anonymousreply 20March 7, 2024 2:03 PM

I agree that season 1 was fun but so far season 2 isn't grabbing me.

by Anonymousreply 21March 7, 2024 2:05 PM

Yes I agree they have ruined the sister. I can't even remember what happened to cause her implosion - her divorce? Is she on leave from the hospital now? Fired? What?

by Anonymousreply 22March 7, 2024 2:14 PM

I think she lost all her money in a financial scam off cam between season 1 and 2. I don't know why she doesn't have a home right now.

by Anonymousreply 23March 7, 2024 4:05 PM

I think she was cheating on her husband who kicked her out. Plus didn’t she get arrested for drunk driving? Not sure why they’re putting that character through the wringer for a light-hearted comedy-drama

by Anonymousreply 24March 8, 2024 6:01 PM

I thought the show benefitted from the sister being the level-headed between the weirdos mother and son. But now that she is basically the loser of the show, it leaves a void and her character being useless. It's too bad because I like the actress..

by Anonymousreply 25March 8, 2024 6:37 PM

I’m watching it now and it’s a fun show.

by Anonymousreply 26March 15, 2024 1:46 AM

I love this show, OP! Well, every character but the dyspeptic doctor-sister of Todd! She's a drag!

Marcia Gay and Skylar work great together.

by Anonymousreply 27March 15, 2024 2:13 AM

R19, As opposed to what? Virtually every TV police/legal procedural is "neatly solved and tied up every episode."

by Anonymousreply 28March 15, 2024 2:18 AM

I love this shows! Is he related to David Skylar?

by Anonymousreply 29March 15, 2024 2:43 AM

What the fuck R14??

THAT'S Lisa Rinna??

I admit I kinda liked season one. I watched it bored over the summer. It reminded me of a 90s show: Stupid, predictable, but easy to watch and not have to pay attention to.

by Anonymousreply 30March 15, 2024 2:55 AM

Tonight's episode's ("Dial M For Margaret") guest star (Todd's 2nd hospital roommate) looks familiar because he is Dean Winter, aka "Mayhem."

by Anonymousreply 31March 15, 2024 4:41 AM

I think I may be done with this show. I feel like it started off a lot more grounded but now the main characters are very cartoonish and overall it feels like they’re just pandering to the elder CBS audience with plots and quirky guest characters that Jessica Fletcher would roll her eyes at

by Anonymousreply 32March 15, 2024 9:19 AM

I watched it last night, it's an innocuous bit of fluff. Marcia's having a lot of fun and Skylar's very cute, but I don't feel a need to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 33March 15, 2024 10:44 AM

It's one of those shows that started out strong and then just got stupid (I'm looking at you, "Ted Lasso").

I enjoyed almos the entire first season, but you could tell the writers were struggling. I love Marcia Gay Harden and thought she looked fantastic in her outfits. I watched 2 episodes of season 2 and then just had to remove it from my "continue watching" list. It's just too stupid.

by Anonymousreply 34March 15, 2024 11:09 AM

The director of this latest episode was Robin Givens. Who knew?!

by Anonymousreply 35March 15, 2024 12:08 PM

Maybe it's the second season curse? You know, they want up the ante and by trying new things they go off the rails.

by Anonymousreply 36March 15, 2024 12:54 PM

Too much escalated at once, r36! Todd got his PI license back. Margaret made Partner. Sis and Mom's divorces were finalized. Irritable characters became co-operative. Romance is too soon afoot with Margaret and the slovenly lawyer; the hoagies at the desk relationship could have lasted longer.

But I think Skylar is cute and his Todd is a funny character, so I'm a fan!

by Anonymousreply 37March 16, 2024 7:00 AM

I think the show has gotten better in season 2. It's found it's footing, and Skylar and MGH both seem to have defined their characters better. I just wish they would write some shirtless scenes for Skylar.

by Anonymousreply 38March 17, 2024 3:23 PM

[quote]I just wish they would write some shirtless scenes for Skylar.

Mmmm. The mayor of My Type town. Lickable from his head down to his toes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 18, 2024 12:16 AM

Another fan here. It's a sweet old-fashioned crime show. MGH is pitch-perfect, her clothes are great and Skylar is an excellent foil for her. It's not pretending to be great but it's also (thank God) not pretending to be either gritty or woke.

I loved this week's episode with the little old ladies doing their Only Murders in the Building turn.

by Anonymousreply 40March 18, 2024 1:27 AM

They felt like a modern take on the Baldwin sisters, didn't they?

by Anonymousreply 41March 18, 2024 3:21 AM

Looks like CBS agrees that season 2 wasn't that successful. Cancelled after season 2 along with CSI Vegas.

It's too bad. I thought the cast had great chemistry. But the writing this season was off. Stories were not written to the actors' or characters' strongest traits imho. It's noteworthy that both canceled shows are not doing that poorly compared to other networks' shows. Just within CBS' pool of scripted shows they had lowest viewers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 20, 2024 6:40 PM

That’s too bad, r42, but I guess not unexpected. I really enjoyed the first season but what I’ve seen this year hasn’t been as enjoyable. Maybe the extended writer/actor strike killed the momentum.

As a fan of the original I really wanted to like CSI: Vegas but none of the new characters was interesting or likable. I liked that Marg Helgenberger returned but they didn’t utilize her enough - or, more likely, her presence wasn’t enough to compensate for the other boring characters.

by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2024 7:49 PM

Totally agree about CSI:V, I liked Paula Newsome, Helgenberger and maybe also Mandeep Dhillon. The others were unfortunately not memorable enough. Although Matt Lauria was quite something to look at. More emphasis on the cases may have helped, too.

by Anonymousreply 44April 21, 2024 2:05 AM

Paula Newsome was wonderful but the show sucked. Bad writing and direction, and much of the cast sucked.

Lisa Rinna killed So Hell Me Todd (as if the shitty title hadn’t already). Pass it around.

by Anonymousreply 45April 21, 2024 2:10 AM

But...but....there was so much more to be done and revealed and related to with these characters! The surface of their lives and court cases and relationships was barely scratched! Boss/employee; mother/son; mother/daughter; siblings; exes; prosecutor/defender; etc.

I am sorely disappointed. I looked forward to watching this show. It feels....like we've all gone to Iceland.

by Anonymousreply 46April 21, 2024 3:08 AM

R46 refers to SHMT.

by Anonymousreply 47April 21, 2024 3:09 AM

So CBS thinks this legal-eagle show will be better?!

IDTS, CBS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 21, 2024 4:00 AM

Reaction from creator:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 21, 2024 4:12 AM

Not to worry, r32, r33, and r34.

by Anonymousreply 50April 21, 2024 4:13 AM

I'm watching the Maine episode of "Aerial America," and a tourist schooner out of Bar Harbor is named the "Margaret Todd." I thought maybe there was some connection to SHMT, but apparently not!

by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2024 9:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!