Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

MONA OF THE MANOR is out

Been missing Maupin. It's been a long, long time.

Fans rejoice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 23, 2024 4:08 AM

I'm afraid Maupin isn't so great at a closer look — as a person or as a writer. I hope this isn't as self-indulgent as the last few have been.

by Anonymousreply 1March 5, 2024 3:45 PM

Eh. Sounds like it could be fun, but I kind of hate when authors have to use their "universe" for every single one of their books. It smacks of fan fiction.

by Anonymousreply 2March 5, 2024 3:51 PM

Hang it up, already. The well is dry.

by Anonymousreply 3March 5, 2024 3:53 PM

He spends all of his money, R3. He has to write these.

by Anonymousreply 4March 5, 2024 3:57 PM

At least it's an interquel, so we're not faced with following the same characters and pretending like it hasn't been almost 50 years since Mary Anne Singleton fell under the spell of Barbary Lane.

by Anonymousreply 5March 5, 2024 4:03 PM

London ain't cheap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 5, 2024 4:03 PM

He's lying about why he left SF. He sold his house in Parnassus Heights after going near-broke from his split with his first husband Terry and investing in a Bear-focused Social Media Startup with the current husband Chris. It failed. Current husband also owned Pantheon Productions (Hot Older Male) and they sold it off before they went bareback, which would kill the Maupin brand if the press got a hold of it. They tried renting SF and gave up to go to London.

by Anonymousreply 7March 5, 2024 4:18 PM

I would have left SF for Calcutta.

by Anonymousreply 8March 5, 2024 4:21 PM

Whatever the reason that he left SF, I loved the Tales of the City books as much as any I’ve ever read.

by Anonymousreply 9March 5, 2024 4:24 PM

Can’t wait. I will never forget the shock when Jon died. - or Mona.

by Anonymousreply 10March 5, 2024 4:49 PM

Just ordered mine off of Amazon. It arrives tomorrow.

Thanks OP...

by Anonymousreply 11March 5, 2024 4:54 PM

I'll read it, if only for nostalgia. His books aren't as good as they used to be, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 12March 5, 2024 4:56 PM

i didn't like Days of Anna Madrigal, but I thought Michael Tolliver Lives! had its moments. Michael and Mary Anne awkwardly talking after twenty years abd being cool...until Mary Anne slipped and called him "Mouse" and all of their emotions just rushed out was lovely, as was the moment with Michael's mother holding his wedding photo before she died. And the almost offhanded reveal that Mona had died caught in my throat.

I really liked Mary Anne in Autumn, and I make no apologies for that. More Tales...is my favorite of the first trilogy, so it kind of follows that the middle book would also be the most appealing here.

by Anonymousreply 13March 5, 2024 5:08 PM

R7 He left SF and went to live in New Zealand, then eventually moved to England.

by Anonymousreply 14March 5, 2024 6:15 PM

Didn't he move to Arizona or New Mexico at one point, or did I hallucinate that?

by Anonymousreply 15March 5, 2024 6:17 PM

Yes, in that Guardian interview someone posted he says he lived in Santa Fe before returning to San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 16March 5, 2024 6:21 PM

Correct. He moved to Santa Fe, hated it, got on Facebook and asked if anyone knew of a good place in SF to rent.

by Anonymousreply 17March 5, 2024 6:42 PM

Well, at least it's set before Tales of the City became "queer" and T and non-binary central.

by Anonymousreply 18March 5, 2024 7:40 PM

Oh, but it will read as if it wasn't, R18. In the Guardian interview, Maupin explains that he has Mona rejecting a lesbian who doesn't want MTFs in women's spaces. He's very proud of himself about it, too.

by Anonymousreply 19March 5, 2024 7:42 PM

"He's lying about why he left SF. He sold his house in Parnassus Heights after going near-broke from his split with his first husband Terry and investing in a Bear-focused Social Media Startup with the current husband Chris. It failed. Current husband also owned Pantheon Productions (Hot Older Male) and they sold it off before they went bareback, which would kill the Maupin brand if the press got a hold of it. They tried renting SF and gave up to go to London."

This...this needs to be made into a film! Gay men always ruled by their cocks.

by Anonymousreply 20March 5, 2024 8:53 PM

I recently read Days of Anna Madrigal after watching the 2019 series ending miniseries on Netflix.

It was a completely different story! They killed off Anna in two completely different ways.

(The Burning Man stuff in the book was really annoying,)

by Anonymousreply 21March 5, 2024 8:56 PM

I'm prepared to die for this, but I actually preferred the way the story was told in the Netflix series than in the books. I thought it handled Mary Anne much better, DeDe living her best life was great, and I thought the ending of Anna's story was better as well.

I don't think the miniseries was great by any stretch of the imagination, but the good stuff was good.

by Anonymousreply 22March 5, 2024 9:03 PM

Agreed, R22. I didn’t like the silly twins, and the writing was clunky in places.

But we were back in Barbary Lane. And I thought the flashback of Anna’s arrival in SF was terrific. The actress who played her was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 23March 5, 2024 9:08 PM

Has Maupin ever bottomed that writer we're no longer allowed mention by name on here? Y'know, the guy who was in Paris, then London. I can totally see Maupin presenting hole.

by Anonymousreply 24March 5, 2024 9:12 PM

[quote]I didn’t like the silly twins,

For the love of God, why weren't those two just written as DeDe's children? That made no sense to me at all.

[quote]And I thought the flashback of Anna’s arrival in SF was terrific. The actress who played her was wonderful.

Jen Richards was terrific. I didn't even mind that she was like a foot taller than Olympia Dukakis.

And I know, this is DL, I'm not supposed to say nice things about trans people, but I thought the screen version of Jake was a much more interesting character than his book counterpart.

And I thought the dinner scene with the eldergays (paralleling the one with Michael and John in the original) was great: it didn't invalidate Ben's Millennial views on things, but it also allowed the older guys their frustrations with the younger set being so incredibly sensitive. They shouldn't have been able to pull that off, but they did.

by Anonymousreply 25March 5, 2024 9:17 PM

Beautiful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 5, 2024 9:22 PM

Yes, that dinner scene was terrific.

The series got off to a somewhat clunky start with Mary Anne’s arrival and her silly slankets, or whatever they were called. I was choking on all the exposition but it eventually found its groove. And Linney can pull off anything.

by Anonymousreply 27March 5, 2024 9:23 PM

To add… I heard EP Alan Paul interviewed recently and he said the producers of the TOTC series believed in being totally faithful to the text.

He was referring to the early series, I suspect, because they tossed the book in the trash with the last series, and Maupin signed off, presumably because he wanted it made (ca-ching!) and Netflix would only do it with Linney attached, and Mary Anne wasn’t in the book.

by Anonymousreply 28March 5, 2024 9:26 PM

Maupin has said in interviews that he's no fan of Alan Paoul.

by Anonymousreply 29March 5, 2024 9:28 PM

Really? Alan said he speaks to him regularly and, on fact, had a call scheduled with him in a couple days.

by Anonymousreply 30March 5, 2024 9:34 PM

I finished it in three hours.

by Anonymousreply 31March 6, 2024 11:19 PM

R31 How was it?

by Anonymousreply 32March 7, 2024 3:04 AM

Light, R32

With the exception of two new characters, there’s not much there.

by Anonymousreply 33March 7, 2024 10:14 AM

Doesn’t surprise me.

The last book was mostly filler about building Burning Man floats.

Cash grab.

by Anonymousreply 34March 7, 2024 10:35 AM

[quote]I finished it in three hours.

Yeah, I started it two hours ago and I'm two-thirds of the way through it. Better than some of his later novels, I'll say, but also much lighter.

[quote]In the Guardian interview, Maupin explains that he has Mona rejecting a lesbian who doesn't want MTFs in women's spaces. He's very proud of himself about it, too.

This is the worst part of the book. It's set at the height of the AIDS crisis and Mona has a very 21st-century view and discussion about transphobia. Totally unrealistic.

by Anonymousreply 35March 9, 2024 3:21 AM

Most of his books after the initial Tales books have sucked big stinky donkey balls.

by Anonymousreply 36March 9, 2024 3:23 AM

I see she's fat again.

Guess the bitter Betty comments about bears and fatties in his last few books are coming to bite him in the ass....

by Anonymousreply 37March 9, 2024 3:27 AM

Big as a manor house!

by Anonymousreply 38March 9, 2024 3:49 AM

Will it be as bad or worse than the last one?

by Anonymousreply 39March 9, 2024 4:11 AM

R20: Daddyhunt is still around. Was it just a matter of losing money.

by Anonymousreply 40March 9, 2024 4:13 AM

It was Bear Central. There was a pin-up Bear on bus stop adverts for it all over the city around 2012 or so?

by Anonymousreply 41March 9, 2024 4:19 AM

Listen to him being interviewed on a gay podcast yesterday. The holes were out of their minds with excitement over interviewing this legend.

When he joined, they spent the first part, asking him what he’s watching on TV right now.!!!

(To the earlier poster, he said he loves Alan Poul.)

Nothing too interesting but he didn’t rule out another book in the series.

by Anonymousreply 42March 9, 2024 10:49 AM

Just finished it. I have to say that I liked this one better than the Mouse Lives or last Anna Madrigal book. I would say this and the Mary Ann in Autumn book were the two most interesting ones to me of the later books.

Yes, the whole Poppy is a transphobe thing felt a little out of place/forced but it was limited to a few pages.

Mona running a manor had some nice parallels to Anna and Barbary Lane.

by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2024 6:39 PM

PS: Something about the rhythms of this book, its chapters, really had that sense of the serialized articles from the early Tales days. It felt a little soapy.

I thought the asshole husband would be another Norman, or whatever that creep's name was that was a killer at Barbary Lane.

by Anonymousreply 44April 20, 2024 6:46 PM

Just finished it. I do not know who copy edited the final North American manuscript but there was a really weird problem with quotation marks. There were several missing so it made it look like comedies part of the narrative. However, this is Maupin, not Faulkner, so it didn’t lead to any confusion.

I was so glad to see the characters again. I loved the descriptions of the landscape and the manor. It was a quick read and I wish it were long. Wasn’t crazy about Michael and Wilfred. Dunno why we went through all the drama of Mona and Poppy only to have them be honest about their feelings and then have more drama and end it.

The sad thing was knowing that Mona dies around 1998 during the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal so her time after the events of this novel are limited.

by Anonymousreply 45April 21, 2024 9:07 AM

Made it look like “quotes” were part of the narrative.

by Anonymousreply 46April 21, 2024 11:04 AM

I blame publishers. They suggest any new book to resurrect interest in the series.

by Anonymousreply 47April 21, 2024 1:37 PM

[quote] I do not know who copy edited the final North American manuscript but there was a really weird problem with quotation marks. There were several missing

I noticed that. Badly done in a few places.

I'm trying to think of what Wilfred would look like. Aboriginal and Dutch....?

by Anonymousreply 48April 21, 2024 2:15 PM

Wafer thin. Mouse fucking Winifred was kinda oooky.

And yet another murder that is dealt with in two seconds.

He really has lost any mojo he had.

by Anonymousreply 49April 21, 2024 7:09 PM

Yeah, the almost shrugging off the murder was the worst part of the book.

by Anonymousreply 50April 21, 2024 8:30 PM

Do two drag queens and a tranny in a big pink bus named Druscilla stop by the manor?

by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2024 8:39 PM

R50 'He was violent, he deserved it'.

But Mona inventing the word transphobic is just so forced and sloppy writing.

by Anonymousreply 52April 21, 2024 8:39 PM

R52 it's just so jarring, based on the time frame, when most people still said "transsexual" and the term transphobic didn't exist.

I'm guessing Poppy was a very lazy stand in for JK Rowling.

by Anonymousreply 53April 21, 2024 8:45 PM

I had East Coast friends who had West Coast friends ship them photocopied installments from Maupin's series. Maybe it was the sense of urgency and reading the (later) books in advance snippets that made for better reading. But what a slog it was when I read in book form some later series.

Rereading the initial books was no treat either. The novelty of it all and some affection for some characters made up for the breezy and cheesy writing. Later volumes seemed only to get worse in quality. You could read them in a sitting, and probably better to di without taking any time to think about anything you had read.

Who can fault Maupin for cashing in every time he wants a new house or a move to another country or a fresh infusion of cash? It's too tempting not to do. But damn, the last how many of these things have been pretty dreadful, and the attempts to stay contemporary have fallen flat too often.

The first TV serialization of Tales of the City by Channel 4 was fantastic I thought. It captured the best of Maupin's storylines and characters without the baggage of bad writing. It definitely improves upon the thin volume that was the basis for it all. And the locations and spooky mood and so many elements and details were beautifully done. Subsequent Channel 4 productions were -like the books- less tight, less well conceived and done but still very enjoyable. The later Netflix version was okay or started as such - better than reading the books - but not so memorable as that first go by Channel 4.

Maupin has always seemed a little bristly about the source of his fame and also his inability to move.on to something else, as though he believes (even adores) all the hype yet thinks he's above that sort of thing. Fucking around with his one winning story collection and bring things amusingly up to date has never gone too well, though it seems a standby way to pay the bills, move countries, and start all over yet again.

by Anonymousreply 54April 21, 2024 9:05 PM

And now he's making Mona a centerpiece. Mona, the least likeable one of the whole lot.

by Anonymousreply 55April 21, 2024 9:07 PM

At one point in the novel, Anna talks about the “edible” she was given by Wilfred or Mona.

Was the term “edible” a thing in 1993? I don’t remember hearing it as a thing until the 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 56April 21, 2024 9:18 PM

I was glad to get a dose of Mona. The book is crisp. The characterizations are good. It isn’t burdened by magical Barbary Lane. It’s a worthwhile read.

by Anonymousreply 57April 21, 2024 9:29 PM

The Michael-Wilfred sex felt out of place.

by Anonymousreply 58April 21, 2024 9:56 PM

Of his most later books, I liked “Mary Ann in Autumn” the best.

I hated what he did to her in “Significant Others” although that is a trajectory some people take. But it was also good to have closure from the story in the original book.

by Anonymousreply 59April 21, 2024 9:58 PM

I saw him speak about this book recently, it wasn’t very engaging and he went in hard on how much he loves the trans. The eldergays sitting beside me were also v disappointed. I think the husband “writes” these btw.

by Anonymousreply 60April 21, 2024 11:00 PM

Would Mona have been a Michfester?

by Anonymousreply 61April 22, 2024 1:01 AM

I mean, DeDe and Dor went to WimminWorld, its fictional counterpart in Significant Other.

by Anonymousreply 62April 22, 2024 1:13 AM

Back when Armistead Maupin started writing Tales of the City about about SF, across the GG bridge Cyra McFadden started writing about rich people in Marin County ("The Serial : A Year in the Life of Marin County") They both got syndicated and got book deals but Maupin was more famous.

I don't know if any DLers actually remember Cyra but she passed away yesterday at 85 on her houseboat in Sausalito.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 22, 2024 2:20 AM

With the earlier books, coincidences were always a big part, Edgar and Anna, Dor and DeDe, but all that is gone now.

by Anonymousreply 64April 22, 2024 2:40 AM

I know he wrote two non-Tales fiction books. I read both of them but I can't remember a damn thing about either one of them.

by Anonymousreply 65April 22, 2024 4:38 AM

One was about the midget stand in for E.T.

One was about a con artist conning a man in grief.

by Anonymousreply 66April 22, 2024 5:15 AM

And, Yes, I am aware The Night Listener was turned into a film starring Robin Williams.

by Anonymousreply 67April 22, 2024 5:17 AM

I liked the Wilfred and George Michael cruising and hooking up in the park bit.

by Anonymousreply 68April 22, 2024 5:41 PM

Didn't Wifred run away, and only found out after he left it was George?

by Anonymousreply 69April 22, 2024 7:37 PM

Yeah. Then he couldn't find him again.

by Anonymousreply 70April 22, 2024 8:27 PM

r63 I LOVED "Serial." I was living/working in the Bay Area in the '70s and both it and "Tales" were required reading.

The movie adaptation of "Serial" was, however, a mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 22, 2024 9:08 PM

I do love what a name dropper Maupin is. Thanking Sir Ian McKellan on the acknowledgements page is so on-brand for that old starfucker.

by Anonymousreply 72April 22, 2024 9:42 PM

R72, I initially thought so too until I remembered that McKellen appeared as one of the A-gays in the first miniseries so I guess I’ll give him that.

by Anonymousreply 73April 22, 2024 10:01 PM

What does Maupin’s husband do besides creating sites for older men to hook up?

by Anonymousreply 74April 22, 2024 10:02 PM

R61, no. MichFest had a “wimmin-born-wimmin” only policy.

by Anonymousreply 75April 22, 2024 10:26 PM

R74 spends Maupin’s cash and ghost writes his books

by Anonymousreply 76April 22, 2024 10:30 PM

Did you fart?

by Anonymousreply 77April 22, 2024 10:41 PM

Of the original books, I liked “Babycakes” the least. It was set in a rainy period in SF, a moldy and damp manor house in the UK and was at the start of AIDS and everything seemed so grim.

It didn’t help that Maupin couldn’t have telegraphed the fact that Mary Ann would sleep with Simon as he looked so much like Brian.

by Anonymousreply 78April 22, 2024 10:41 PM

R71 Ahhh, yes, those were the days in SF! You're right the movie was awful. She hated it too. Her second book, a memoir "Rain or Shine," got the reviews writers dream about but didn't sell, although Cher optioned it for five years without making it so Cyra made a nice little bundle anyway. We lived in the same neighborhood in the late 80s and my mother had sent me The Serial, which I loved too, so one day I accosted Cyra on the street and she was very kind to a gay guy starting out as a writer with a similar column (which went nowhere) about rich people in SF called "Specific Heights." We became pals and I'll miss her forever. A warmhearted, generous lady. Rest in Peace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 22, 2024 10:59 PM

I never got the great love for them. They were enjoyable, but the serial form in which they began made them feel a bit shallow. I never got deeply invested in any of them.

And, before anyone makes the comparison, Maupin ain’t Dickens.

by Anonymousreply 80April 22, 2024 11:10 PM

Maupin probably would have made a great soap opera head writer.

by Anonymousreply 81April 22, 2024 11:33 PM

Today, we are going to rap....about rape.

by Anonymousreply 82April 23, 2024 1:01 AM

Mother, I am a Gay Cuban Refugee.

by Anonymousreply 83April 23, 2024 4:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!