Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nepal to require all Mount Everest climbers to use a tracking chip

They're chipping these junkies now.

[quote]Ahead of the 2024 Mount Everest season, Nepal has announced a new requirement that all climbers must rent and use tracking chips on their journey. Reputed companies were already using them but now it’s been mandatory for all climbers. It will cut down search and rescue time in the event of an accident. Climbers will pay $10-15 apiece for the chips, which will be sewn into their jackets. Once the climber returns, the chip will be removed, given back to the government, and saved for the next person.

[quote]Last year, Nepal gave out a record 478 climbing permits. Twelve climbers were confirmed to have died on the mountain, while another five remain officially missing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 27, 2024 7:20 AM

Me and the new boyfriend are doing this next year.

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2024 2:34 PM

Believe me when I say the whole of DL will have their fingers crossed, r1.

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2024 2:36 PM

R2 To wish or desire harm on someone is a sign of sociopathy. You are not sociopath however; you have just been used and abused. But it stops today. I take a stand. Because I will defend your honor and I will fight for you, physically, if necessary. I know they tore you down and said you would never be nothing. But you will be something because you are beautiful. And beauty and self love always reigns.

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2024 2:40 PM

Ewww you annoying phony troll R3.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2024 4:16 PM

It's such a conga line now that it is almost meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2024 4:46 PM

Teacake eaten by yetis

The entire population of Datalounge will cheer

by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2024 5:11 PM

If you seek me, track me. No matter where you are, no matter how far. You don’t have to worry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2024 6:10 PM

Do you at least get handed a chintzy Participation Trophy?

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2024 6:13 PM

there*

by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2024 6:14 PM

I hope they all die in line! Take them Chomolungma!

by Anonymousreply 10March 1, 2024 6:14 PM

That picture is insane just to think about. If anyone can pay to go, then there’s nothing special about the “achievement.”

by Anonymousreply 11March 1, 2024 6:21 PM

Why should time and money be spent on trying to find and save these people? Let them die where they fall. You can't fix stupid. And they'll just try again and more time and money is lost.

by Anonymousreply 12March 1, 2024 6:44 PM

I highly recommend this documentary: The Man Who Skied Down Everest. The scenery alone is worth watching for. Fewer people in the 1970s and the editing isn’t jumping quickly from image to image. And the nerve of Yuichiro Miura to ski down Everest. He has great legs, too!

I found it on Hulu and Amazon prime.

I

by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2024 6:53 PM

Time to rewatch movie "Everest," one of my all-time nonfiction favorites.

by Anonymousreply 14March 1, 2024 6:57 PM

Will the trackers work down crevasses and under avalanches? Is there an Everest 2024 thread yet?

by Anonymousreply 15March 31, 2024 1:39 PM

If I were sufficiently experienced and knowledgeable about mountain climbing and survival, I'd climb Everest.

As I am neither, there is no way I'd ever attempt it. But, it would be a spectacular once-in-a-lifetime experience.

by Anonymousreply 16March 31, 2024 1:51 PM

So… like…. when they find a dead guy, do they just take his chip back and give it to someone else to use? That just seems rude.

by Anonymousreply 17March 31, 2024 1:54 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 31, 2024 2:11 PM

Sandy Pittman is a cunt!

by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2024 6:37 PM

Yay! My favorite time of year, Mount Everest dead bodies 22, Electric Boogaloo. I, for one, can't wait to hear all about it, Teacake. Will you be hiring a sherpa? Will you be using oxygen? Will you be starting tomorrow? Acclimation starts on April 1 and the climb takes 6 weeks, and don't be worried that the season starts on April fool's day, it's not at all a bad harbinger. Did you train for this? Did you gain weight? You'll lose about 40 pounds of muscle. What outfit are you climbing with? What side are you going up? How much did it cost? I have so many questions!

by Anonymousreply 20March 31, 2024 11:36 PM

R13 Thank you. Watching it now.

by Anonymousreply 21April 1, 2024 3:02 AM

Lose 40 lbs? Fuck, I may have to try that.

by Anonymousreply 22April 1, 2024 4:37 AM

Officially missing? I think if you disappear up there, it’s pretty safe to call you dead.

by Anonymousreply 23April 1, 2024 4:47 AM

I can never think of it now without seeing the piles of shit everybody leaves behind.

by Anonymousreply 24April 1, 2024 7:03 AM

And if I ever hear anyone talking about being there or planning to go I automatically hate their guts.

by Anonymousreply 25April 1, 2024 7:06 AM

I even hate George Lucas for naming his baby Everest

by Anonymousreply 26April 1, 2024 7:13 AM

R22 The weight you lose is muscle.

by Anonymousreply 27April 1, 2024 4:46 PM

R18 R19 Sandy is indeed a cunt but Beck Weathers is an asshole too. He shouldn't have even been up there with his recent eye surgery. He clearly had some kind of death wish. That whole season was just doomed.

by Anonymousreply 28April 1, 2024 4:51 PM

Forty pounds is forty pounds, r27.

I’d still be thin and beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 29April 1, 2024 5:41 PM

I'm surprised they haven't chipped climbers sooner. The Chicago Marathon was chipping runners 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 30April 1, 2024 5:48 PM

summary of Beck Weathers / may be of interest to those unfamilar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 2, 2024 3:16 AM

R31

It’s startling that he survived at all.

by Anonymousreply 32April 2, 2024 3:54 AM

God the original thread (s) on this topic were incredible.

by Anonymousreply 33April 16, 2024 12:12 AM

George Mallory who was a very experienced mountaineer died there, what makes some of these people think they can do it.

by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2024 12:17 AM

Anybody see the documentary Touching the Void (2003)? Watching it now, inspired by this topic.

I don't understand these people but they make for good entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 35April 20, 2024 11:25 PM

I've seen Touching the Void. Incredible that Joe Simpson crawled all that way with a shattered leg. The book and its sequel are excellent. His leg was never the same again even after numerous surgeries.

by Anonymousreply 36April 21, 2024 8:12 AM

r34 Speaking of George Mallory, I just came across this article today. All his letters to his wife are now available online.

[quote]Mallory was an alumnus of Magdalene College at the University of Cambridge, which maintains a collection of his personal correspondence, much of it between Mallory and his wife, Ruth. The college has now digitized the entire collection for public access.

[quote]As previously reported, Mallory is the man credited with uttering the famous line "because it's there" in response to a question about why he would risk his life repeatedly to summit Everest.

It should be noted that he had scaled it successfully twice before dying on the third expedition, aged 37.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 22, 2024 9:42 AM

Mallory was bisexual or gay.

"Nothing could be more rugged than the archive images of the mountaineer George Mallory preparing to tackle Everest in stout tweed suit and brown boots – and nothing more skittish than his newly discovered letters to the writer and leading member of the Bloomsbury set, Lytton Strachey.

“What a wicked old sodomite you are,” Mallory wrote fondly in April 1910, “with your Antonious and your Rupert and your beautiful young Lamb ... You might give a message of respectful affection to Rupert – is that permitted?”

Mallory, a Fabian, was friends with many of the Bloomsburies, and was painted by Duncan Grant. The letters are gossipy, flirtatious, and often explicitly gay. Mallory meets at Charterhouse “an ancient amour of mine ... a young man of 17 but still only just past the moment of puberty & with a fair skin & fair curly hair & red enticing lips! What will happen? His mother wrote me a confiding letter asking me to take care of him”.

Mallory and Sandy Irvine were having sex on Everest for sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 27, 2024 5:38 AM

I'm glad that I can still find magic and thrills in very simple things. Frankly just waking up every morning causes me to feel a great deal of awe and wonder. I do like to do things like ride roller coasters and really beautiful hikes that can be somewhat difficult but I don't feel like I need extreme danger to appreciate life or to feel that I've lived a fulfilled one.

by Anonymousreply 39April 27, 2024 6:00 AM

These climbers are idiots. Leave them up there

by Anonymousreply 40April 27, 2024 7:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!