Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Dune: Part Two” may be one of the best sci-fi films ever

This film is truly incredible from start to finish. Would I call it a masterpiece? No, but I would say it’s pretty close to being one. There are pacing issues with this one that most either don’t care about or don’t notice, but I did. However, its positives massively outweigh the minor negatives. The cinematography, the script, the visual effects, the costume designs, the sound effects, the acting.. it’s just tremendous.

Timothee Chalamet gives a true leading man movie star performance, and is phenomenal from start to end. He was perfectly cast as Paul and you see that more and more as the movie plays. By the third act he is truly superb and Oscar worthy! He carries a massive film like this and leads it with such poise and masterful acting.

Rebecca Ferguson goes full mama bear as Lady Jessica in this one and is kinda scary (in a good way). She deserves all the accolades she’s receiving for her performance here. She speaks very little as we get further into the movie but still manages to say so much through body language and using expressions and her eyes. I never thought of Ferguson as much of a “real” actress for some reason but she was truly great here!

Christopher Walken and Florence Pugh share almost all their scenes together (besides Pugh with Charlotte Rampling) and their scenes are far and few in between everyone else but they are so wonderful that you look forward to seeing them on screen again. Pugh doesn’t have much to do as Princess Irulan but the little she does do sticks because she has such a large screen presence, and she holds her own opposite a terrific and very strong Christopher Walken (in what may be one of his better performances) and an (always) brilliant Charlotte Rampling.

Oh, Austin Butler. Where to even begin. Not only is this performance amazing, it’s arguably his best performance (yes, better than Elvis). He shows up more than halfway into the movie and his introduction scene… they knew what they were doing (see image below and you know what I mean). He’s pale skinned and 100% hairless (as are all his kind of people) but Jesus did he look HOT AS FUCK IN THIS. He’s evil, psychotic and scary but so fucking hot. His performance could easily get him a supporting actor nomination if he plays his cards right. My biggest issue is that there wasn’t enough of him in this movie. I also feel they didn’t play up his psychotic nature enough but for the most part it was all done well and Austin was phenomenal. He never missed a beat and looked like a gorgeous alien while doing so.

Zendaya is the heart of this film and she’s so fucking likable in it. She gives a movie star performance and is incredibly charming as Chani and you feel bad for her by the end of the film. In the final act she has a lot less lines and a lot more acting to do with her eyes and she NAILS IT. All the praise for her in this is justified. I know there is discourse about all the changes Denis made to the Chani character from the book and I get it but at least people are loving her in the film. She also has the closing scene in the movie, by herself.

Javier Bardem is perfection and adds a lot of life to every scene he is in.

Another negative is the war is too quick. It should have lasted longer.

If you have questions… ask. And go see it on the big screen. It’s so worth it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357April 17, 2024 12:37 PM

Oh, let me add that my personal favorite scene was between Lea Seydoux as Lady Margot Fenring and Austin Butler as Feyd-Rautha. Everything about that scene was fucking PERFECTION. The film could have used more of Lady Margot Fenring, aka Lady Dark Seductress as I nicknamed her. She is so good in her brief screentime. I loved it.

It’s a shame we only get her in 3 scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2024 1:17 AM

[quote] Timothee Chalamet gives a true leading man movie star performance, and is phenomenal from start to end. He was perfectly cast as Paul and you see that more and more as the movie plays. By the third act he is truly superb and Oscar worthy! He carries a massive film like this and leads it with such poise and masterful acting.

Tell us more

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2024 1:35 AM

[quote] He’s pale skinned and 100% hairless

Unlike in real life.

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2024 1:37 AM

We need a spoilers thread for this movie.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2024 1:38 AM

[quote] she has a lot less lines

Fewer!

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2024 1:39 AM

Sounds great, OP! Now, if only Timmy weren't in it I'd definitely watch it.

by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2024 1:49 AM

You will watch it anyway r6

And you will smile at TIMMY and you like it

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2024 1:51 AM

[quote]Rebecca Ferguson goes full mama bear

I stopped reading this review once I saw the ever-so-twee phrase "mama bear."

It's an immediat signal not to take the writer seriously.

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2024 1:53 AM

e

e

cummings

by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2024 1:56 AM

Just got back from seeing it. It was ok. I was struggling not to fall asleep the first hour with all the stuff out in the desert.

Once it focused on the Harkonnens, Irulan, Emporer and Rev Mother it got much better.

Butler was pretty terrific as Feyd. Are all the women on Geidi Prime hairless? No wonder he got it on with Margot.

Definitely different than the 84 version...especially the ending. I suppose they are already prepping Part III should this make bank.

by Anonymousreply 10March 1, 2024 1:58 AM

Emporor panguin

by Anonymousreply 11March 1, 2024 2:05 AM

[quote] I suppose they are already prepping Part III should this make bank.

The director said they are. They’re worm-ing on a script already.

by Anonymousreply 12March 1, 2024 2:06 AM

I haven’t seen Miss “Timmy Chevrolet’s” tits.

Do they measure up to this one?

by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2024 2:10 AM

E13, I don’t think he has either tits or ass.

by Anonymousreply 14March 1, 2024 2:13 AM

“ Once it focused on the Harkonnens, Irulan, Emporer and Rev Mother it got much better.”

This let’s me know you didn’t watch it r10. Irulan is never the focus and she is actually the opening scene of the film and narrator of the first scene. Rev Mother happens near the beginning of the film….

by Anonymousreply 15March 1, 2024 6:32 AM

PS R10 claimed to watch a bootleg version of it on another thread. Now he “went to see it” but was “bored” for the first hour until certain things happened, all things that actually happened early in the film. He doesn’t even know what he’s talking about.

Reading peoples comments on Reddit and Twitter isn’t watching a movie. Get off the thread.

by Anonymousreply 16March 1, 2024 6:35 AM

“ Is it too early to start the Oscar campaign for Austin Butler as a Best Supporting Actor nominee for next year? #Dune2”

Agreed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 1, 2024 6:37 AM

[quote] I don’t think he has either tits or ass.

Timmy! Grab a cab, come on! See the wizard at Park & 73rd!

by Anonymousreply 18March 1, 2024 6:40 AM

The clips I've seen of II are just a redux of the first bleak effort. A boring, mirthless slog through the sand. There is no sexual tension between Timotwee and any female. We're supposed to be entranced by the heroics of Timatwink, but he's so uninspiring with his wispy body and blank poker face it's impossible stay awake.

by Anonymousreply 19March 1, 2024 6:42 AM

Someone who didn’t like part 1 but liked part 2 a lot. Theyre very different.

“ The contrast between how bad Dune is and how *fantastic* Dune 2 is is incomprehensible, insane, and honestly, fucking criminal”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 1, 2024 6:49 AM

“ Just finished my 3rd watch of DUNE: PART TWO, and it finally hit me hard. Watching Chani and Paul sandwalk together across the dunes, night sky overhead, “A Time of Quiet Between the Storms” fading in… I teared up realizing that Villeneuve’s DUNE is real, and it’s a masterpiece.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 1, 2024 7:00 AM

“ Timothée Chalamet in that third act of Dune 2 is something serious. His peers should come with a book and pen and start taking notes.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 1, 2024 7:16 AM

Does the book explain how is that we have humans in a galaxy so far away?

by Anonymousreply 23March 1, 2024 7:20 AM

I watched it last night and am still shaken by how good it was. See it on the biggest screen possible. This is CINEMA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 1, 2024 7:23 AM

“ Just got back from seeing #DunePart2 Zendaya’s performance was an absolute standout to me! Chani broke my heart! 😭💔What a fierce, beautiful warrior! Zendaya is so beautiful and so very deadly! That last frame really got me emotional..Hats off to Z & all! I can't wait for Dune 3”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 1, 2024 8:49 AM

[quote]PS [R10] claimed to watch a bootleg version of it on another thread. Now he “went to see it” but was “bored” for the first hour until certain things happened, all things that actually happened early in the film. He doesn’t even know what he’s talking about.

I never claimed to have viewed any bootleg version. I didn't see the film til yesterday's 5pm showing.

And, yes, the shit out in the desert was boring. Geidi Prime and its black sun effects were far more interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 1, 2024 9:12 AM

I hate when people take pics or use their phones in theaters. The fucking entitlement. Sit the fuck down, shut up, and watch the movie. No one cares about your social media look at me clout. R24

by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2024 12:11 PM

A shit book series made into a shit movie series.

With a bad actor as a lead.

by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2024 12:47 PM

And Zendaya had this sour puss look on her face the entire film.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I dislike this film.

Biggest sin of all...

No "And how can this be?? For he IS the Kwisatz Haderach!"

She wasn't even born yet! Aside from that dream flash where she is Anya Taylor-Joy.

by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2024 1:08 PM

Movie was way too talky for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I don't mind Anya Taylor-Joy otherwise, but I winced when her leporine mug popped up in closeup. For some reason, I find her completely out of place in these movies. Sorry, AT-J. Butler's iconic look was ruined by his laughable cartoonish accent. And, like r29 already mentioned, Zendaya had a face like a slapped arse the whole time.

This is a nitpick, but the emperor's costume just looked like a costume, with very little thought put into it. His posse, aside from his daughter, looked equally drab. And the exteriors on Kaitan looked super cheap for an imperial seat. That relief outside when he gets the news that Paul is alive looked like a couple of kiddies in kindergarten slapped it together in an afternoon. Really shoddy work.

Rampling and Pugh for me the whole way, baby. I say give them their own movie. Ferguson can appear as well, but she needs to stop telling porkies about being mistreated on set.

by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2024 1:29 PM

[quote] Butler's iconic look was ruined by his laughable cartoonish accent.

Elvis?

by Anonymousreply 31March 1, 2024 1:36 PM

Elvis redux, yes.

by Anonymousreply 32March 1, 2024 1:38 PM

Lmao the hater is so trashy. And in the minority.

“Too talky”??? First off, the movie has so many quiet moments it’s insane. But what the fuck did you expect? Stick to your Transformer and Marvel movies mental retard. This film is for those of us who enjoy mature films.

by Anonymousreply 33March 1, 2024 1:45 PM

The 8:30 AM showing this morning. Crazy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 1, 2024 1:46 PM

[quote]Butler's iconic look was ruined by his laughable cartoonish accent.

Apparently, they didn't shave his head, but used makeup.

He had another movie he was doing, so that production asked him not to shave his head and Dune accommodated the request.

by Anonymousreply 35March 1, 2024 1:50 PM

Yes and it looks great. No one is questioning the bald head but you r35. Goofy.

by Anonymousreply 36March 1, 2024 1:55 PM

To me, Butler sounded exactly like Sarsgaard when he spoke.

I figured he was just aping the Baron since they were related and Feyd was the na-Baron.

by Anonymousreply 37March 1, 2024 1:55 PM

R37 correct.

by Anonymousreply 38March 1, 2024 1:57 PM

Why does that retarded poster with all the red tagged accounts keep making new ones? You would think he would finally get the message Muriel is sending him.

by Anonymousreply 39March 1, 2024 2:17 PM

Loved all of Villeneuve's movies so am excited to be seeing this tomorrow on a huge screen.

by Anonymousreply 40March 1, 2024 2:22 PM

0/10

by Anonymousreply 41March 1, 2024 2:43 PM

[quote] Rebecca Ferguson goes full mama bear

[Immediately tunes out]

by Anonymousreply 42March 1, 2024 2:45 PM

Ha ha r8 I hadn’t even seen your reply when I posted mine at r42!

by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2024 2:47 PM

R43 you ARE him.

by Anonymousreply 44March 1, 2024 3:12 PM

It should have been called "Dune 2: Electric Boogaloo." The plot would have been about Tim and Zendaya's characters trying to save a community center in the middle of a desert ... by dancing!

by Anonymousreply 45March 1, 2024 3:17 PM

I wanna suckle on those nips like a baby.

by Anonymousreply 46March 1, 2024 3:25 PM

[quote] 'DUNE: PART TWO' is now at 95% on Rotten Tomatoes from both critics and audiences.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 1, 2024 3:33 PM

I am confused as to the plot of the planned third movie. Is it going to be the story of the Children of Dune TV series, but all in one movie?

by Anonymousreply 48March 1, 2024 3:38 PM

R48 you thought Dune was a single book? It would be based off the second book, Dune Messiah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 1, 2024 3:50 PM

What PR firm do you work for OP? I hope they are paying you something even though your review is just this side if ridiculous. Maybe you're an intern...good luck with your career! Have you thought of Fast Food?

by Anonymousreply 50March 1, 2024 3:53 PM

Dennis did an amazing job with a tough work to adapt. I'm holding out hope for Berserk, Evangelion, and Blood Meridian some day.

by Anonymousreply 51March 1, 2024 3:56 PM

Is there anything sexy in the movie or is it just sand and staring?

by Anonymousreply 52March 1, 2024 3:59 PM

r52 Shirtless Butler, as shown in OP's post, is basically the only sexy thing in it.

by Anonymousreply 53March 1, 2024 4:01 PM

The final confrontation had none of the drama of the Lynch version.

It sorely misses Alicia Witt’s “But how can this be? For he IS the Kwisatz Haderach!”

by Anonymousreply 54March 1, 2024 4:02 PM

Not to mention her killing the Baron.

His body layibg out in the desert crawling with ants was no way as fun as watching her spin him out the room into the mouth of an awaiting worm.

by Anonymousreply 55March 1, 2024 4:05 PM

George Lucas stole a bunch from Dune for Star Wars. Frank Herbert was actually advised to sue Lucas when the film came out but he chose not to. He said it took everything in him not to sue, but he didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 56March 1, 2024 4:05 PM

R51 agreed, especially since the book has always been viewed as unadaptable. There is no way to get that book right on film, but he did a pretty great job at trying to.

The 1984 film is ridiculous and I never got how some liked it. Thankfully most didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 57March 1, 2024 4:06 PM

What did Paul say when he killed the Baron? The sound was terrible in my theater.

by Anonymousreply 58March 1, 2024 4:08 PM

From the Boston Globe:

[quote]‘Dune: Part Two’: When sand gets in your eyes

[quote]“Dune: Part Two” evaporated from my memory 10 minutes after I walked out of the screening room. It just simply disappeared, like one of the film’s massive sandworms burrowing into the ground. Then it retreated back to from whence it came, leaving no trace in my mind.

[quote]It makes no attempt to situate new viewers or give them a CliffsNotes-style summary. I can’t complain about that decision; after all, this isn’t a sequel — it’s a continuation. And yet, “Part Two” meets all the expected sequel requirements: It’s bigger, louder, costlier, and not as good as the “original.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59March 1, 2024 4:09 PM

I disagree that the Lynch version was ridiculous. It was poorly edited and the special effects were more primitive, but the style was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 60March 1, 2024 4:11 PM

How close was the Lynch version to the novel r60?

by Anonymousreply 61March 1, 2024 4:16 PM

[quote]What did Paul say when he killed the Baron? The sound was terrible in my theater.

Something about "you die like an animal."

by Anonymousreply 62March 1, 2024 4:16 PM

I tried to read the novel and I failed. It tracks the new version pretty closely, though it ends with a sense of finality, not with a new war starting. Paul deposes the emperor and it begins to rain on Arrakis.

by Anonymousreply 63March 1, 2024 4:19 PM

R61 it wasn’t close to the novel at all. This new one is far more on point. The biggest change is the characterization of Chani in part 2.

by Anonymousreply 64March 1, 2024 4:22 PM

Dune was a chore to read for me. I actually enjoyed reading Dune Messiah a lot more but it is nothing like Dune. It’s a serious drama, not as much a sci-fi war film.

by Anonymousreply 65March 1, 2024 4:23 PM

He would have won nothing R56.

by Anonymousreply 66March 1, 2024 4:31 PM

Wouldn't've he? How can you be so certain?

by Anonymousreply 67March 1, 2024 4:33 PM

If you watch Star Wars, especially he scenes with Luke on the sand planet, yes, you see it’s what is written in Dune, which came out in 1965, long before Star Wars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 1, 2024 4:36 PM

I don’t recall any major plot differences, aside from the presence of Paul’s sister in the Lynch film (which I read tracks the novel), though of course there are scenes in the new versions that were not in the much shorter prior version. I also think the Lynch film omitted the fact that Jessica is a Harkonnen.

by Anonymousreply 69March 1, 2024 4:36 PM

The Lynch film did change a lot. Rewatch it.

by Anonymousreply 70March 1, 2024 4:39 PM

What did Lucas steal other than the sand worm in the second film? Is the idea of a Galactic empire supposed to be an original idea?

by Anonymousreply 71March 1, 2024 4:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 1, 2024 4:39 PM

A desert planet?

by Anonymousreply 73March 1, 2024 4:40 PM

R71 you definitely didn’t read the novel. Lucas even took the name Princess Alia from Dune and changed it to Princess Leia.

by Anonymousreply 74March 1, 2024 4:40 PM

Butler wishes he looked halfway as sexy as Sting in those panties. He will awaken nothing in the loins of young proto-homosexuals watching this movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 1, 2024 4:43 PM

Lmao r75 if Butler did wear the little underwear he would look even hotter than Sting did.

by Anonymousreply 76March 1, 2024 4:44 PM

[quote] Lucas even took the name Princess Alia from Dune and changed it to Princess Leia.

You need to learn the difference between copying and paying homage.

by Anonymousreply 77March 1, 2024 4:45 PM

It’s copying.

by Anonymousreply 78March 1, 2024 4:46 PM

The illustration of Paul in Dune Messiah shows Timmy was perfectly cast, as far as aesthetics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79March 1, 2024 4:55 PM

TIMMY was perfectly cast r79, in aesthetics and all other areas.

Denis V should feel grateful that TIMMY is lending his star power to his movie.

The epic story of Dune is a match for the epic nature of TIMMY.

by Anonymousreply 80March 1, 2024 5:08 PM

The 3:15 AM showing earlier this morning was pretty full too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 1, 2024 5:14 PM

And what do you imagine, r78, is so special about the name “Alia” that Lucas would “copy” it?

by Anonymousreply 82March 1, 2024 5:15 PM

Are we ever going to see the Guild Navigators in these Villeneuve movies?

by Anonymousreply 83March 1, 2024 5:25 PM

I think I may very well be in love with the guy sitting front row center, r81.

by Anonymousreply 84March 1, 2024 5:27 PM

"And Zendaya had this sour puss look on her face the entire film."

That's the Gen Z School Of Dramatic Arts.

by Anonymousreply 85March 1, 2024 5:35 PM

This isn't just any regular movie, the guy sitting front row center might be driven insane by the enormity of it all. And he'll have no one but himself to blame.

by Anonymousreply 86March 1, 2024 5:36 PM

I actually started laughing when it kept cutting to Zendaya during the final showdown and she was giving the exact same facial reaction every single time.

by Anonymousreply 87March 1, 2024 5:38 PM

I’m so sorry to disappoint you, r44, but you’re not worth such an elaborate ruse.

by Anonymousreply 88March 1, 2024 5:38 PM

[quote] you thought Dune was a single book?

Dune IS a single book, published in 1965.

The Dune chronicles are a series of books. Not the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 89March 1, 2024 5:42 PM

“ I cannot praise Zendaya’s work as Chani enough in DUNE: PART TWO. There’s a moment in the third act where she quietly and subtly reacts to Paul and it absolutely crushed me, bringing me to tears. Timothée Chalamet is fantastic, but Zendaya really impressed me here.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 1, 2024 6:01 PM

I gasped when Feyd-Rautha first appears on screen. 🥵

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91March 1, 2024 6:06 PM

Yikes, you can see the bald cap on the back of his neck- they didn't match his body as well as they should have.

by Anonymousreply 92March 1, 2024 7:00 PM

Is it just more visual Cliff Notes where a story should be? I read Dune, I've scene the oddball Lynch movie a few times. The new Dune films are gorgeous and well made but I cannot remember the first film at all. I'm glad I know the story but my husband doesn't now it and had to keep asking me what the fuck is going on.

by Anonymousreply 93March 1, 2024 7:15 PM

R93 it’s on Max. You can just rewatch it.

by Anonymousreply 94March 1, 2024 7:21 PM

^ You can go watch. I'll skip the second film, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 95March 1, 2024 7:35 PM

TIMMY DOES DRAG

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 1, 2024 9:30 PM

It is not copying R78.

by Anonymousreply 97March 1, 2024 10:03 PM

Omg I almost went to see it again tonight but it’s completely sold out 😭

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98March 1, 2024 10:09 PM

So I checked lower manhattan and it’s also sold out at every showing 😭

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 1, 2024 10:10 PM

Frank Herbert wrote 6 Dune books. The first two are about Paul.

by Anonymousreply 100March 1, 2024 10:21 PM

[quote] I think I may very well be in love with the guy sitting front row center

It was a girl.

by Anonymousreply 101March 1, 2024 10:45 PM

R89 what are you speaking about? Frank Herbert wrote 6 Dune Books. Those other mass produced Dune books written by those other authors don’t count.

by Anonymousreply 102March 1, 2024 10:49 PM

If anyone wants to buy the 6 book collection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103March 1, 2024 10:53 PM

However, books 1-3 are on sale for $16.28

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104March 1, 2024 10:53 PM

"I've scene the oddball Lynch movie a few times..."

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 105March 1, 2024 11:34 PM

Don't believe the hype and don't believe the hate. Part two is better than part one and the visuals and sounds are still top notch but God is it boring. Mouseboy is seriously miscast and Zendaya's one facial expression is both hilarious and annoying. Overall, definitely style over substance.

by Anonymousreply 106March 1, 2024 11:49 PM

I like Christopher Walken but I think he was miscast as the Emperor. I just didn't buy it.

by Anonymousreply 107March 1, 2024 11:52 PM

Woke rubbish. Girl power blah blah blah.

by Anonymousreply 108March 1, 2024 11:55 PM

He was perfectly cast. The Emperor is supposed to be old.

R106 as you were told, stick to your Marvel movies. These movies aren’t for people like you.

I found it interesting from start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 109March 1, 2024 11:56 PM

R108 yeah, you didn’t watch it.

by Anonymousreply 110March 1, 2024 11:56 PM

R106 did not watch the movie.

He lies to distract himself from his crushing loneliness and unfuckablity

by Anonymousreply 111March 2, 2024 12:34 AM

R111: Fuck off scumbag Prince troll. By the way, this movie was horribly mis-marketed. Austin Butler is barely in this thing. Denis shouldn't be allowed anywhere near science fiction.

by Anonymousreply 112March 2, 2024 12:39 AM

Oh Matt ^

Come lay your hideous pock marked head on ♥️TIMMY❤️ chest and be soothed

by Anonymousreply 113March 2, 2024 12:42 AM

R112 I don’t know where you’ve been, because everyone knows he’s not in it much. Wanna know why? His character shows up more than halfway into the book. Sting is barely in the Lynch film. Retard.

by Anonymousreply 114March 2, 2024 12:52 AM

Are you mentally retarded, r102?

by Anonymousreply 115March 2, 2024 1:00 AM

R115 about?

by Anonymousreply 116March 2, 2024 1:05 AM

All I have to say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117March 2, 2024 1:33 AM

Piss-fuck that fey “Timmy Chevrolet” and his pre-pubescent fan girls.

by Anonymousreply 118March 2, 2024 1:47 AM

Impotent raging ^

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 119March 2, 2024 1:57 AM

^ Sad fan girl desperately rubbing her pussy, and too stupid to find her clit.

by Anonymousreply 120March 2, 2024 2:01 AM

Find the clit on this

Matt doesn’t have a dicklet

Poor Matt

🙏🏽😘❤️TIMMY♥️😘🙏🏻 tolerates (not loves, because you are unlovable) you. Accept the grace of TIMMY…because all that you think about is TIMMY.

🤣😘🤣😘🤣

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121March 2, 2024 2:21 AM

Does Timmy ride the arse hole yet again?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 2, 2024 2:21 AM

^ Nope, Timmy is intimidated by pussy looking holes and couldn’t get it up.

by Anonymousreply 123March 2, 2024 2:24 AM

Oscars for everyone, including Gavroche!

by Anonymousreply 124March 2, 2024 2:26 AM

No, I’ll present hole to either R or D pages.

by Anonymousreply 125March 2, 2024 2:44 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126March 2, 2024 7:57 AM

R97 it’s copying. And it’s being brought to light on social media.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127March 2, 2024 8:32 AM

Fun fact- Barry Keoghan was in the running for the Feyd-Rautha role before the asked Austin to read for the role and gave it to him.

Harry Styles was also a finalist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128March 2, 2024 8:45 AM

Harry Styles and Tye Sheridan were also competing for the role before it went straight to Austin, who didn’t have to do the big audition thing the rest of them were doing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129March 2, 2024 8:48 AM

Can someone explain to me the iconic little girl who appeared at the final showdown in the Lynch version? Was that closer to the novels and this movie just had her be in the womb still? I am Confucius.

by Anonymousreply 130March 2, 2024 11:35 AM

R130 I don’t remember the kid in the Lynch version, but in the book Alia, sister of Paul and daughter of Leto and Jessica, kills Baron as a toddler with a poisoned tip pin. She is born with full knowledge and wisdom and has psychic abilities because her mother drank the Water of Life while she was still in the womb. Drinking the Water of Life would either turn Jessica into Reverend Mother (if she’s truly a chosen one) or kill her (if she isn’t). Jessica becomes Reverend Mother and gains all wisdom and her family history, and Alia gains the same thing while in her womb. She is born 8 months after the death of her father, Leto.

As far as the Lynch version, I don’t remember the child in it but I know Alicia Witt played Alia so it must be different from the book.

In the new film she is kept in the womb throughout the film but Paul has a vision of her when she’s older. After Jessica becomes Reverend Mother she is able to communicate with her baby inside of her womb, who also now embraces all the same wisdom and power she does. Once Paul evolves some and starts to fall into the role he was meant to fall into he can also communicate with Alia telepathically.

A lot was changed in both films, or at least just left out because there is no way to include everything. They would need to make a whole 3rd film for the first book to include everything.

For example, In the book the war is an ongoing thing and happens over time. There is a final leg to the war, finally, but in the movies there is a build up to the war and then it happens over the final act of the films. In the book the war starts over midway into the story and continues on and off throughout until the final leg finally happens after Paul and Chani’s baby son is murdered during an invasion. All that is also left out of the films.

by Anonymousreply 131March 2, 2024 1:04 PM

Saw it last night.

WOW.

I've never read "Dune" and I only caught a portion of Part One.

I still was blown away, in the most entertaining way, by the sheer scale of the cinematography, sets, costumes, production design, and yes, the story.

Manohla Dargis, critic of the NY Times, mildly compared Dune Part Two to the White Savior aspect as in "Lawrence of Arabia".

I didn't think she was complaining about that, but, while watching Dune Part Two, I do get her point.

Still, I experienced a cinematic treat last night. I might even go again.

by Anonymousreply 132March 2, 2024 1:30 PM

[quote] I only caught a portion of Part One.

Meant the film "Dune Part One".

by Anonymousreply 133March 2, 2024 1:31 PM

Leave it to Manohla to miss the whole point of Paul's savior arc, which even in the novels is meant to be a critique of messianism. I wouldn't have expected anything less from her; she's such a hopeless coastal art lib, more cartoon than person at this point.

I have a pet theory that she was supposed to cover American Fiction, but her woke brain broke trying to review it, so they had to give it to Nicholson instead.

by Anonymousreply 134March 2, 2024 1:37 PM

It may be that the novels are meant to be a critique of messianism, but the Fremen nonetheless accept Paul as their Messiah. At this stage in the story, it appears to have worked rather well for them.

by Anonymousreply 135March 2, 2024 2:00 PM

OP is largely correct, the movie is terrific, fabulous, nails all of its epic set pieces and ‘big moments,’ and Chalamet and Zendaya, whose relationship humanizes this epic, are both good. Chalamet rises to the occasion and really becomes a convincingly authoritative leader in the last third.

Disagree about Christopher Walken. New York magazine nailed it when they said he seems not to know what movie he is in. He is used for his iconic status, but he seems vague, unraveled. Javier Bardem has become Anthony Quinn, hamming it up to beat the band and loving every minute of his screen time. Everyone else gets into the spirit of the movie, and Austin Butler’s odd looks and narcissistic affect are well used for a change. He could easily be typed playing slimy villains. And interesting to see the actual color values in the pics OP linked to in those scenes — the clothes were evidently dark blue but the colors are interestingly manipulated in those sequences in the film. They’re like — but not quite — black-and-white.

But there are continuity problems. The early scenes are not at all boring as an ADD challenged poster above suggested. But those scenes are deliberate and detailed, and it’s true that the last third of the movie seems suddenly accelerated with no real explanation of why Paul flips from being unwilling to buy into his legend and then suddenly determined to do so (I assume this will be remedied by some future much longer Director’s Cut).

But Director Villeneuve has pulled this off brilliantly — the intimate, emotional story-telling, the world building, the action crowd scenes and epic battles — it’s all really effective and spectacular, I was impressed. It’s hard to do this kind of movie well and he has succeeded. I could see it again.

And see it in IMAX if you can.

by Anonymousreply 136March 2, 2024 2:44 PM

[quote] no real explanation of why Paul flips from being unwilling to buy into his legend and then suddenly determined to do so

That’s a pretty big fucking flaw.

by Anonymousreply 137March 2, 2024 2:47 PM

Agreed, R 137, and yet it in no way spoiled my complete enjoyment of the movie. It’s a real achievement.

by Anonymousreply 138March 2, 2024 2:54 PM

Zendaya can't act.

by Anonymousreply 139March 2, 2024 2:59 PM

The pacing was way off for me. Slow beginning, then everything happens too quickly. Paul’s transformation is the heart of the story and yet is either unexplained or explained so subtly that the audience misses it.

One “atomic” and the Harkonnens and the Empire just stand there and surrender, even after their allies appear on the scene?

by Anonymousreply 140March 2, 2024 3:04 PM

The only thing more pathetic than TimmyStans are Sci-Fi Geeks. The combo is hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141March 2, 2024 3:06 PM

Zendaya’s a good emotional actress in that she has an expressive face and voice. it’s the kind of good acting you see in old movies with people who haven’t had classical acting training.

Can she play any kind of part convincingly? Does she have range as an actor. No, not yet. And she maybe never will have unless she wants to work hard. But in this kind of role, this kind of acting, she is very good, a natural.

by Anonymousreply 142March 2, 2024 3:07 PM

Zendaya gets on my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 143March 2, 2024 3:10 PM

Timmy can’t act and gets on my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 144March 2, 2024 3:15 PM

R144 yet again, you’re thinking about Timothee Chalamet and it’s provoking ab emotional response

If this actor so upsets you, you need to be in therapy or take medication.

by Anonymousreply 145March 2, 2024 4:07 PM

Zendaya only gets on my nerves when I see her which happens rarely. Do I also need medication or therapy?

by Anonymousreply 146March 2, 2024 4:20 PM

Yes you do r146

Vagisil Extra Strength

by Anonymousreply 147March 2, 2024 4:36 PM

AI can write, act, and direct Dune and nobody would be able to tell the difference.

by Anonymousreply 148March 2, 2024 5:16 PM

Dumb comment ^

by Anonymousreply 149March 2, 2024 5:21 PM

Shamalamadingdong seems AI generated. Everything about him is calculated and fake.

by Anonymousreply 150March 2, 2024 5:59 PM

Even dumber comment ^

by Anonymousreply 151March 2, 2024 6:07 PM

R136 Paul goes from doubting his status to leaning into it because all the worship was starting to get to his head. If you pay attention to some of the dialogue you catch glimpses of him slowly going from doubt to thinking he is above all. Chani catches this pretty early on and you can see her slowly side eyeing him a bit before he fully exposes himself.

His last moment of doubt is when he is being stubborn about going south despite being told he needs to. That is when he walks away and puts his hand on the sand and asks Jamis for guidance and he connects with Jamis who tells him to go south. He then goes to drink the Water of Life to become all knowing despite it being against all beliefs. Men are not to drink the Water of Life, only the chosen women, but his mother who now is also on a power trip forces the woman to let her son drink the Water of Life despite it not being allowed. She uses “the voice” to force it and when he arrives down south he drinks it despite it always being deadly for men (something that is acknowledged early on in the dialogue between Jessica and Paul). His body dies and his mother forces Chani, whom he loves, to use her bodies water (tears) to help revive him. He awakens and is on full power trip after that.

It’s all very clear.

by Anonymousreply 152March 2, 2024 6:26 PM

So Paul gives up his principles and Chani out of vanity and not some sense of mission?

by Anonymousreply 153March 2, 2024 6:34 PM

The scene where Chani has to revive him. I wish she slapped him a few more times. Selfish prick

It’s from a side angle but you can still see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154March 2, 2024 6:40 PM

R 152 You are right, I remember all that, didn’t miss it and yet it seemed like a too-abrupt turnabout for me. Those scenes you describe come at the same time as a lot of other stuff going on and it all comes suddenly and in a rush. Could be a beat or two more was needed to let one or two of those Paul scenes breathe and let the content sink in.

But as I said above, it didn’t spoil my enjoyment of the film at all.

by Anonymousreply 155March 2, 2024 7:02 PM

Timmy really was phenomenal!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156March 2, 2024 7:44 PM

Feyd-Rautha in 4K for you whores 🥵🥵🥵

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157March 2, 2024 9:04 PM

lol I don’t give a shit what you think R151, or about your obsessed weird fandom of a complete non entity, nor does anyone else here.

by Anonymousreply 158March 2, 2024 9:07 PM

Dune is about the complexities and dangers of politics, religion, worship, idolization and faith. So many people miss the message of the story and how it is displaying the dangers of all those things.

by Anonymousreply 159March 2, 2024 9:27 PM

This man breaks down the whole “white savior” accusations very well. People saying that just aren’t understanding the film or not even watching it and just running their mouths.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160March 2, 2024 10:55 PM

It received an A Cinemascore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161March 2, 2024 11:32 PM

I have yet to see this movie, but the stans who are complaining that anyone who dislikes it or finds its themes disturbing just doesn't understand it properly sound like nutters to me.

by Anonymousreply 162March 2, 2024 11:43 PM

[quote] Austin Butler’s odd looks

What do you find odd about his looks (not that I disagree)?

by Anonymousreply 163March 3, 2024 12:42 AM

On repeat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164March 3, 2024 1:00 AM

Good God. This film has been out for like 5 minutes and I have had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 165March 3, 2024 1:06 AM

Because you are a pussy r165

🌟💙🌟ALL TIMMY CONTENT ALL OF THE TINE💙🌟💙

by Anonymousreply 166March 3, 2024 1:16 AM

Austin Butler was truly something else in this. He’s a good looking guy but never does anything for me, until I saw this. Pretty funny how a bald hairless evil psychotic Austin Butler got me aroused

by Anonymousreply 167March 3, 2024 1:25 AM

I absolutely love this movie. I've seen it twice already.

Speaking of the White Savior thing, the following is not a criticism, it's just an observation.

When Stilgar is meeting with the elders of the Fremen and the other soldiers to try to convince them that Atreides is of value to be of them, it reminded me so much of "Dances With Wolves" when Kicking Bird (Graham Green) is trying to convince the other warriors to accept John Dunbar.

And, John Dunbar becomes Dances With Wolves. Paul Atreides becomes Muad'Dib Usul

Just a couple of harmless similarities.

by Anonymousreply 168March 3, 2024 2:16 AM

In the books does Chani ever become pregnant by Atreides?

At the end of the movie, when she leaves him, I just got the feeling that if there is ever a Dune Part Three, the plot would include her carrying a child of hers and Atreides.

by Anonymousreply 169March 3, 2024 2:23 AM

R168 wouldn’t that mean Dances With Wolves stole the idea from Dune? Dune came first, dear.

by Anonymousreply 170March 3, 2024 2:26 AM

Overwrought pseudo religious nonsense with a hefty dose of Arab cultural appropriation. Visually stunning but confusing and quite boring. The first part was more coherent and better.

by Anonymousreply 171March 3, 2024 2:27 AM

R169 that is the biggest difference between the book and this adaptation. Chani is completely changed by the end of the movie.

Yes, she has his son, Leto II, and he is murdered as a baby during a raid. In the book that is what finally makes Paul go and destroy shit which leads to the final leg of the war.

In the second book she dies while giving birth to their twins.

by Anonymousreply 172March 3, 2024 2:29 AM

R171 only confusing to those who have no business watching it in the first place. ☕️

by Anonymousreply 173March 3, 2024 2:29 AM

Yeah sorry R173, I wasn’t high when I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 174March 3, 2024 2:34 AM

I just got out of watching it, and it was honestly terrific. I was worried people were just being ridiculous but they were not. It was truly a remarkable film. It was engaging from start to end and everything about it was great, especially those visuals and cinematography. The score was great. I loved the music playing as Paul and Chani are slowly falling for one another. Beautiful

by Anonymousreply 175March 3, 2024 2:49 AM

It’s a little late to weigh in but I’m gonna.

My apologies to some of you but Chalamet is TERRIBLE in this, as is Zendaya. They both look like they got lost on the way to the bubble tea store. Zendaya has one expression that serves as Thoughtful, Angry, Horny, Hopeful and Tired. Chalamet can’t Telegraph the subtleties of emotion that Paul goes through, which is why half the audience comes out of the theater wondering why he changed his mind about stuff.

I liked the film overall, but I just didn’t think those to could play their film parts. They played their marketing parts well enough though, and I suppose that’s for the best.

by Anonymousreply 176March 3, 2024 2:51 AM

Does Austin Butler have these Joker lips in real life?

by Anonymousreply 177March 3, 2024 2:58 AM

ANYWAYS… back to reality for those of us who actually watched it.

This reviewer nails it. It’s almost perfect.

by Anonymousreply 178March 3, 2024 2:59 AM

Sorry. This reviewer nails it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179March 3, 2024 2:59 AM

I did not like Heath Ledger in his role as “Joker”.

by Anonymousreply 180March 3, 2024 3:00 AM

R177

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181March 3, 2024 3:00 AM

He looks gorgeous at R181.

by Anonymousreply 182March 3, 2024 3:01 AM

He looks like trailer trash, and not in a good way. Hollywood is kind of fucked as far as male stars go. They’re all kind of fug, except for Elordi, and to a lesser extent Mescal.

by Anonymousreply 183March 3, 2024 3:07 AM

^ LOON

by Anonymousreply 184March 3, 2024 3:09 AM

The appeal of Elordi eludes me. Mescal looks like trash to me.

by Anonymousreply 185March 3, 2024 3:10 AM

R185 go clean your eyes with bleach.

by Anonymousreply 186March 3, 2024 3:16 AM

R 163: I just find his facial proportions weird. His head and face is too long and thin, the long, crimped upper lip bugs me, he’s too tall and lanky — rangy guys who look skinny in clothes don’t attract me.

I can objectively see that he’s handsome to a lot of people, and he is certainly fit, but he always looks smug and entitled to me, which makes me want to smack him. He lacks tenderness, vulnerability, warmth, humor. All of which makes him perfect for his role here.

by Anonymousreply 187March 3, 2024 3:44 AM

lol r179. The hyperbole!

by Anonymousreply 188March 3, 2024 4:15 AM

I’m rewatching Part 1 after seeing Part 2. There’s a lot of important background in the first movie that helps to make sense of the second, but only true Dunies or people with extraordinary memories will remember it.

by Anonymousreply 189March 3, 2024 4:18 AM

Apparently, Timmy is actually a good match for Paul as described in the books.

From a Dune wiki:

[quote]In his youth, Paul was a small boy with an oval face, with tousled coal-colored hair and green eyes. After his time among the Fremen, he grew to a a stringy whipcord of a youth, not as desiccated as the Arrakeen natives, but with ribs there to count, and sunken in the flanks so that the ripple and gather of muscles could be followed under the leathery skin. His oval face was like his mother Jessica’s, but he had stronger bones and a browline reminiscent of his maternal grandfather. He had a thin, disdainful nose, long lashes concealing lime-toned, directly staring green eyes, and a hardness in the expression like the old Duke, his paternal grandfather.

by Anonymousreply 190March 3, 2024 4:21 AM

R190 there’s a reason Denis refused to film the movie unless he could get Timmy to lead it. He wouldn’t make it unless Timmy agreed to be his Paul.

by Anonymousreply 191March 3, 2024 4:29 AM

R176: The chemistry between Chalamet and Zendaya is some of the worst chemistry on screen. It felt forced and predictable.

by Anonymousreply 192March 3, 2024 12:04 PM

He had more/better chemistry with Pugh during that tense short exchange at the end than with Zendaya over the course of two full movies.

by Anonymousreply 193March 3, 2024 12:45 PM

R193 r193 stop commenting on a film you haven’t watched. It’s old. It’s boring. And you need to get a job already so you can actually afford to go see it.

by Anonymousreply 194March 3, 2024 12:54 PM

Thank you, R136/R187.

by Anonymousreply 195March 3, 2024 1:42 PM

Christopher Walken is trending on twitter right now. People praising him.

by Anonymousreply 196March 3, 2024 2:22 PM

Walken was great. Loved his delivery of "More, more, give me more" when the Baron was sharing intel about Paul.

by Anonymousreply 197March 3, 2024 2:44 PM

"Full of sound and fury signifying nothing" is probably how I would best describe it.

Sound so overpowering that many lines were missed (when Paul kills the Baron he says, "Grandfather...something something").

IIRC Chani has given birth prior to the attack on Arrakeen and the child is killed by the Saurdakar warriors of the Emperor.

How long was Lady J preggo? Or did the whole film take place in under 9 months?

Why did the final scenes take place in a darkly lit cubby hole of the Emperor's ship? Were they under the stairs someplace?

I hated the fact that there was no conclusion; everything was given the same limited importance (impotence?).

by Anonymousreply 198March 3, 2024 2:56 PM

Agree r198. And characters introduced who don’t really do anything. At least not in this film. The Princess. The Bene Gesserit who seduces Feyd. I get the sense they’re included because they were important in the book or will be important if Part 3 ever gets made, but their role in this film is almost pointless. It was a problem in the first film, too. All the household characters who are introduced but ultimately never developed as characters or given much to do.

by Anonymousreply 199March 3, 2024 3:03 PM

I loved Part 1. It's one my favorite movies ever, which is odd because sci-fi isn't my usual jam. Here's my basic bitch review of Part 2: first half was kind of boring, but does pick up in the second half. Zendaya's performance was underwhelming, and I'm a huge fan. For the first time ever, Timmy managed to stir my loins in the scenes where he is yelling. The whole riding on worms as transportation thing is just silly and an even sillier visual.

by Anonymousreply 200March 3, 2024 3:29 PM

It’s a tough adaptation. The plot and characters would be better served by a long-form series, but the visuals belong on the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 201March 3, 2024 3:52 PM

I think it’s a worthy follow up but it’s too long and Timmy is miscast as Paul. I had hoped he would beef up for the sequel but he is scrawny and continues to mumble. I didn’t buy him as a leader of a movement because he comes across as a moody teenage girl.

by Anonymousreply 202March 3, 2024 7:33 PM

I expect him to announce he’s going trans any day now R202. He certainly seems trans. Not an ounce of masculinity in him.

by Anonymousreply 203March 3, 2024 7:38 PM

This movie was a 20/10! It was so good! Our dear Timothee was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 204March 3, 2024 10:17 PM

R202 you certainly didn’t read the book. Timothee is perfectly cast. Paul wasn’t “beefed up”. He was a teenage boy.

by Anonymousreply 205March 3, 2024 10:18 PM

R199 did you watch the movie? Your post suggests you didn’t if you’re questioning why Princess Irulan or Lady Margot was in this…. It’s obvious to even the stupidest person. Or at least that is what I thought.

by Anonymousreply 206March 3, 2024 10:21 PM

***SPOILERS***

Was Paul supposed to be female? In that’s the case, good casting.

Re Austin Butler:

In conjunction with Reverend Mother Mohiam (Charlotte Rampling), newcomer Lady Margot (Léa Seydoux) suggests that a better option is the Baron’s other nephew, Feyd-Rautha (Austin Butler), a cold-blooded psychopath they believe to be “sexually vulnerable” and thus has the potential to be manageable (“Desire and humiliation — those are his levers”).

Why bother when he gets killed?

by Anonymousreply 207March 3, 2024 10:35 PM

R207 are you ok??? Serious question. AGAIN, it is obvious you didn’t actually watch the movie.

Lady Margot shows up at Feyd-Rautha’s fixed fight where he puts on a show for the people with some of the other women of the Bene Gesserit to scope him out. After he wins the fight she seduces him to become pregnant with his child. She then tells Reverend Mother Mohiam she secured his seed and his bloodline. They didn’t know he was going to end up dead later but did expect him to take over for his Uncle.

by Anonymousreply 208March 3, 2024 10:43 PM

But I thought they could see the future? Clearly they are not very good at that.

by Anonymousreply 209March 3, 2024 10:45 PM

It bugged me when Timmy said “oh shit” at one point in the movie. It’s supposed to be science fiction.

by Anonymousreply 210March 3, 2024 10:46 PM

This film may finally make Austin Butler the gigantic star he so desperately wanted "Elvis" to make him be. This is going to be a huge hit, and he's apparently memorably scary in it; plus he looks incredibly fuckable here.

by Anonymousreply 211March 3, 2024 10:47 PM

R209 who told you they can see the future? That’s not in the book.

by Anonymousreply 212March 3, 2024 10:48 PM

The Bene Gesserit are annoying cunts.

by Anonymousreply 213March 3, 2024 10:49 PM

R211 Elvis made Butler a household name.

by Anonymousreply 214March 3, 2024 10:50 PM

Whoever did the editing on this three hour hot mess needs to find a job they're better at. I've not even read the books or know the story but am positive there must have been a lot of deleted scenes. It's quite an achievement to make a three hour film still seem rushed. Visually stunning and entertaining, yes, but still a confused jumble sale of a film.

Zendaya was absolutely terrible. All she did was grimace the whole way through.

I was entertained throughout and wasn't bored at any point but it definitely has a lot of faults.

by Anonymousreply 215March 3, 2024 11:00 PM

Part 1 was much better. Part 2 is too disjointed. Too many themes. The falling in love storyline was lame. The return of his friend and trainer was too quick and confusing unless you already knew that it was coming. Much of the dialogue was in raspy hushed voices and was hard to understand. The Harkonnens were good. I was still entertained but a masterpiece it was not. Maybe I will enjoy it upon second watching.

by Anonymousreply 216March 3, 2024 11:23 PM

The return of Gurney was too quick? He returned 90 minutes into the film….

by Anonymousreply 217March 3, 2024 11:27 PM

I thought it was top drawer. One of the best films of the decade, thus far.

by Anonymousreply 218March 3, 2024 11:58 PM

R218 one of the best films in years. It’s brilliant. I’ve watched it twice now and want to again.

Someone on twitter has watched it 8 times since Thursday (seriously).

by Anonymousreply 219March 4, 2024 12:04 AM

Austin Butler was miles better than Sting as Feyd.-Rautha. It’s not even close. And both are a million times better than Matt Keeslar, who looked like he was at a gay club in the forgotten 2000 miniseries. Physically he is the closest to what the books Feyd looks like though, outside of the ridiculously gay costumes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220March 4, 2024 1:00 AM

The Harkonnen’s costumes in the 2000 miniseries

It looks like a gay porn shoot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221March 4, 2024 1:01 AM

[quote] So I checked lower manhattan and it’s also sold out at every showing

Mayor Adams is probably giving all the illegal migrants free tickets and vouchers for snacks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222March 4, 2024 1:12 AM

It is, of course, obvious what the Margot, the Bene Gesserit who visits Feyd does. The question is why? What difference does it make to the plot of the film we see? It is perhaps planting a seed (see what I did there?) for a plot point in another movie that, if it is ever made at all, is probably at least five years away. That is a problem.

Similar issue with the Princess. She’s there as a prop to marry Paul in the future, but has nothing to do in this film and making her a narrator doesn’t fix the problem. I’d like to have some of what those raving over Pugh’s performance are smoking.

by Anonymousreply 223March 4, 2024 4:56 AM

R223 yeah these films aren’t for you. Stick to Marvel.

by Anonymousreply 224March 4, 2024 4:58 AM

Oh, how biting.

by Anonymousreply 225March 4, 2024 4:59 AM

Princess Irulan didn't make much sense in the Lynch movie either (it looked like Paul was just going to claim her and rape her). She makes more sense in the books because they reveal she's actually a covert member of the Bene Gesserit with a secret mission.

by Anonymousreply 226March 4, 2024 5:04 AM

R226 that’s implied in this one when she is a part of the Bene Gesserit meeting with Lady Margot and Rev Mother. Only fellow members can be a part of it and they never let others know what they are.

Feyd accuses Margot of being a part of it and she acts like he’s wrong.

by Anonymousreply 227March 4, 2024 5:08 AM

Princess Irulan didn’t make sense in being there? She needs to be there for the final battle. That is when she offers herself to Paul, making him Emperor who takes over the throne. Jesus people.

by Anonymousreply 228March 4, 2024 5:10 AM

She needs to be there as a prop in the final scene, but they obviously tried to make it a more significant role by giving her the narration and conversations with her father, but none of it amounted to much in the way of drama or character development.

by Anonymousreply 229March 4, 2024 5:15 AM

[quote] Similar issue with the Princess. She’s there as a prop to marry Paul in the future, but has nothing to do in this film and making her a narrator doesn’t fix the problem

She is narrator of part of the book which is why Lynch also used her to introduce the film. Hers are the opening words.

by Anonymousreply 230March 4, 2024 5:21 AM

R229 those convos are necessary. We learn Emperor was behind the death of Leto and we see the dynamic. Princess Irulan is an important role but a small one in Dune. Messiah is where her role is large. She also ends up with Paul and Chani’s kids after they’re both dead and she goes on to write the biography of Paul.

“Character development”???? You sure love throwing that around. Not every character needs to be fleshed out completely with a backstory.

Go read some grade school books or something. This movie is far too grown for someone with a brain like yours man.

by Anonymousreply 231March 4, 2024 5:21 AM

Yes, and what r230 said. Shes also narrator of this one. Not having much screentime doesn’t mean your role wasn’t important. Irulan is essential to the story.

by Anonymousreply 232March 4, 2024 5:23 AM

But not important to the film.

by Anonymousreply 233March 4, 2024 5:26 AM

OP is a publicist shill....This movie didn't even break 100 million in the U.S....More proof theaters are a dinosaur.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234March 4, 2024 5:29 AM

R233 only she is. What film did you watch? Ugh. I forgot. You didn’t watch it. ☕️

by Anonymousreply 235March 4, 2024 5:31 AM

I enjoyed Pugh's narration, was one of my favourite parts of the movie and I wished we spent more time with her on Kaitan.

by Anonymousreply 236March 4, 2024 5:32 AM

The women in the film are all props, except for dyke Zendaya.

by Anonymousreply 237March 4, 2024 5:35 AM

Lady Jessica is hardly a prop, R237. The idea of her driving around Dune on the back of a worm to spread the gospel of Paul Atreides like some kind of mafia mom is kind of hilarious, really.

by Anonymousreply 238March 4, 2024 7:32 AM

Just got back, what a trip!

People accusing this of being a "white savior narrative completely miss the fact that it's a critique of white savior narratives.

All of the acting was excellent Chalamet was electric in the finally 45 minutes and 100 percent believable as a charismatic who could whip an entire people into holy war.

Zendaya was wonderful too. I can't understand the people who find her so irritating she has utterly no vanity as an actress one of the few big female stars who puts her full focus outside of herself onto her costars and what's going on around her, rather than basking in the glow of the cameras attention. And yet still watchable as hell. I left the film furious on her behalf

The Harkonnens and their culture were scary as fuck and fascinating, were they vampires? Cannibals? Can't get the image of those creepy all black clad referees in the gladiator arena out of my head

Rebecca Furgeson was formidable as hell. That blue life water seems as damaging to the soul as the ring of power.

Lea seydeaux and Austin butler scene added a nice moment of film noir sexiness to a movie that otherwise feels pretty sexless.

Javier Bardeen was hilarious

Why did chanis dykey friend stay behind. That was dumb.

Paul did Chani so dirty. I think everyone walks out of that theater hating him and his mission im very much dying to find out what happens next

by Anonymousreply 239March 4, 2024 9:27 AM

[quote] People accusing this of being a "white savior narrative completely miss the fact that it's a critique of white savior narratives.

I don't know how they slanted the new films but per Herbet the novels were not about "white saviors" but instead "charismatic leaders". Specifically JFK and his fuckups. Paul's jihad genocided multiple worlds and ravaged many more, leaving scores of billions dead.

HERBERT: There is definitely an implicit warning, in a lot of my work, against big government . . . and especially against charismatic leaders. After all, such people-well-intentioned or not-are human beings who will make human mistakes. And what happens when someone is able to make mistakes for 200 million people? The errors get pretty damned BIG!

For that reason, I think that John Kennedy was one of the most dangerous presidents this country ever had. People didn't question him. And whenever citizens are willing to give unreined power to a charismatic leader, such as Kennedy, they tend to end up creating a kind of demigod . . . or a leader who covers up mistakes—instead of admitting them—and makes matters worse instead of better.

We didn't mistrust Kennedy the way we did Nixon, although we probably had just as good reason to do so. But Nixon's downfall was due to the fact that he wasn't charismatic. He had to be sold just like Wheaties, and people were disappointed when they opened the box.

I think it's vital that men and women learn to mistrust all forms of powerful, centralized authority. Big government tends to create an enormous delay between the signals that come from the people and the response of the leaders.

Put it this way: Suppose there were a delay time of five minutes between the moment you turned the steering wheel on your car and the time the front tires reacted. What would happen in such a case?

by Anonymousreply 240March 4, 2024 10:25 AM

[quote] People accusing this of being a "white savior narrative completely miss the fact that it's a critique of white savior narratives

It’s both. Besides, you need to know the rest of the story to understand the “critique.”

by Anonymousreply 241March 4, 2024 12:56 PM

Looks boring.

by Anonymousreply 242March 4, 2024 12:59 PM

I will say I have a hard time buying into action films where slender sticks kick ass like UFC heavyweights. I could beat up Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya at the same time and I’m relatively unhealthy. It’s too ridiculous especially when its knife and close quarters fighting when overcoming a huge weight disadvantage against a competent opponent would be basically impossible.

by Anonymousreply 243March 4, 2024 1:04 PM

[quote] R229] those convos are necessary.

You’re missing my point. It’s not that there is literally no reason to include these characters in this film.. It’s that they feel shoe-horned in because they will be important in another movie that may get made someday. Perhaps it would be less glaring if they hadn’t cast stars in these small roles. I also might feel differently if I was confident Part 3 will actually get made any time soon (or at all.)

It’s difficult to adapt a dense series of novels for a series of films. You have to include scenes and characters that would probably be omitted from a stand-alone film (though at the risk of outraging fans of the novels).

by Anonymousreply 244March 4, 2024 1:18 PM

[quote] I will say I have a hard time buying into action films where slender sticks kick ass like UFC heavyweights.

Dune is one of the very few stories that sort of thing can make sense

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245March 4, 2024 1:20 PM

The only actually "problematic" (gods, how I loathe that word) thing about this movie isn't the white saviour stuff, it's that damn Middle Eastern woman's cry to signify a dramatic moment, plus having the Harkonnens randomly kill female slave to establish how very bad they are. Those two elements already haven't aged well and the movie is still playing in theatres.

by Anonymousreply 246March 4, 2024 1:20 PM

[quote] I will say I have a hard time buying into action films where slender sticks kick ass like UFC heavyweights. I could beat up Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya at the same time and I’m relatively unhealthy. It’s too ridiculous especially when its knife and close quarters fighting when overcoming a huge weight disadvantage against a competent opponent would be basically impossible.

How can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach

by Anonymousreply 247March 4, 2024 1:21 PM

I am sure the Oppenheimer team was relieved when Dune2 moved their opening to March '24. it would have been a real battle for movie/director/photography and technical awards.

by Anonymousreply 248March 4, 2024 1:23 PM

[quote] I could beat up Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya at the same time and I’m relatively unhealthy

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 249March 4, 2024 1:23 PM

R243 a quick google search shows Bruce Lee's height and weight as 5'8" and 141 lbs. I'm pretty sure that fighting skill depends on other physical qualities than bulk and it's a real fact that bigger muscles are not always stronger muscles. most boxers are extremely lean.

by Anonymousreply 250March 4, 2024 1:40 PM

A Datalounge fattie being able to beat up Timmy 🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 251March 4, 2024 1:42 PM

R 234 — You are delusional. Did you even read the article you linked to? “Dune 2” is a smash, the $81.5 million domestic gross was the top figure floated as a possibility and add in the $97 million it made overseas and I think by most people’s standards you have a big hit in this “dinosaur” of a motion picture industry.

Add in the mostly excellent reviews (many of them raves) and the A rating it got from Cinemascore and the fact that an IMAX executive is quoted as saying that their screens in prime locations are booked for weeks in advance and I think we certainly have the Barbenheimer event of 2024.

No, this won’t save a whole industry, but it’s exactly the sort of movie that will continue to attract people to theaters. Is it for everyone? Evidently not, as the nit-picking and typical DL sniping here suggests. But this life long movie goer thinks that any pacing and continuity issues are over-shadowed by Villeneuve’s incredible achievement here. It’s a damn good movie.

by Anonymousreply 252March 4, 2024 2:26 PM

Avengers Endgame opened with $357 million.

by Anonymousreply 253March 4, 2024 2:33 PM

Who am I to disagree with a life-long movie-goer?

by Anonymousreply 254March 4, 2024 2:36 PM

r253 Avengers Endgame was a movie made for children using a very tired template. It had no artistic merit and, like any other corporate product, its sole purpose was to generate $$.

Dune pt2 is a serious-minded, artistically highly ambitious adult-orientated movie aimed at an entirely different audience and made with entirely different motivations.

The facts that: 1) it has had the highest-grossing opening weekend of any film since Barbie (the biggest-grossing movie of 2023) and 2) It grossed more than double the opening w/end of Dune are pretty remarkable, just as is noted in the article to which you originally linked.

by Anonymousreply 255March 4, 2024 4:52 PM

I don't think you're going to convince many people that sci-fi epics like "Dune 2" are that serious-minded.

It has people with glowing eyes riding giant alien worms, for God's sake.

by Anonymousreply 256March 4, 2024 4:55 PM

When you are boasting about box office, the relative merits of higher grossing films are beside the point.

Its opening was decent. Nothing more. The film cost $190 million to make.

by Anonymousreply 257March 4, 2024 4:57 PM

Review from "Hollywood Reporter."

Sounds like Villeneuve dodged the more complex political issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258March 4, 2024 4:59 PM

As I was sitting on the bog this morning, I thought of Butler's Irish accent and started laughing all over again. I wonder what his costars must have thought at the table read when he opened his mouth for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 259March 4, 2024 5:19 PM

Trout mouth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260March 4, 2024 5:26 PM

[quote]I wonder what his costars must have thought at the table read when he opened his mouth for the first time

I imagine several thought about what it would feel like to stick their cock in there.

by Anonymousreply 261March 4, 2024 5:32 PM

The film sucked.

by Anonymousreply 262March 4, 2024 5:35 PM

[quote] It’s here that Villeneuve’s film could have seized the opportunity to interrogate the implications of Paul and Jessica, two outsiders connected to the imperial regime, inheriting the secrets and traditions of the indigenous Arrakis. That transference, a fellow critic noted after the press screening, is its own kind of colonial violence.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 263March 4, 2024 6:04 PM

R260, You realize that Austin is only on the left, and on the right is Chord Overstreet from "Glee"? Do all blonds look alike to you?

by Anonymousreply 264March 4, 2024 7:03 PM

R259, What "Butler's Irish accent"??

And I'll tell you what his co-stars "thought at the table read": $🏆$🏆$.

by Anonymousreply 265March 4, 2024 7:13 PM

All trouty mouths look the same.

by Anonymousreply 266March 4, 2024 7:16 PM

R255 this was actually a discussion I had today at work. The people who are downplaying this films success are “Marvel minded” people, who think Marvel’s films and numbers reflect the movie industry as a whole, and now of a film doesn’t make over $100 million in its opening weekend it’s not a “hit” to them.

These idiots are so out of touch. Marvel’s entire purpose is to make money and sell toys and games etc. Dune is a film for adults.

by Anonymousreply 267March 4, 2024 7:17 PM

R240, Your grasp of the JFK Administration and his personal charm is...fair.

Yes, JFK was charismatic. But he was most certainly not a cult-like leader, declaring his way the only way or his leadership the only salvation; nor were his supporters unquestioning and violent Zombies, as we see with the Cult of Trump and his MAGAts.

By his death, JFK was positioned in polls such that he and his advisors were thinking seriously of replacing LBJ to improve the Incumbent's standing.

by Anonymousreply 268March 4, 2024 7:43 PM

R216: "raspy hushed tones": I HATE THAT STYLE! Aren't people supposed to have normal-toned voices anymore?!

by Anonymousreply 269March 4, 2024 7:47 PM

I’m one of the people downplaying the film’s success and I am not a Marvel fan. The worldwide opening gross doesn’t come close to cracking the top 50. Number 50–The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 grossed $274 million in 2014 vs. Dune 2’s $183 million.

Its opening was fine. Nothing to boast about.

by Anonymousreply 270March 4, 2024 8:26 PM

R270 lmao. You’re so pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 271March 4, 2024 8:36 PM

How so? Because I don’t endorse the false claim that Dune 2 is a huge hit?

by Anonymousreply 272March 4, 2024 9:35 PM

Dune 2 is a minor hit.

by Anonymousreply 273March 4, 2024 10:51 PM

R272 it’s a hit. Whether you endorse it or not is irrelevant. Look at your posting histories. Yes, plural. You’re a nobody running your mouth on the internet. No job. No education. The irony in you trying to degrade Chalamet for not having gone to an arts college when you yourself have done nothing with your life so far but live off your family and post online 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 274March 4, 2024 10:52 PM

R272: I guess they may get some of their money back from the first movie. I understand part one came out in the Covid era but it was for all intents and purposes a massive flop. Typically, the studio only gets about a half of the box office take. The other half goes to the cinema chains. Then you have distribution and publicity costs, which for a film like this could be anything up to $100M. Dune 2 has to make north of $500M to start making a profit, which I think it will do easily. However, if you balance it out with the first film, not so much of a hit in the end.

by Anonymousreply 275March 4, 2024 11:23 PM

R275 no. Dune 2 needs to make around $400 million. Stop with your made up fucking numbers. I’m sick of it. We all are.

by Anonymousreply 276March 4, 2024 11:40 PM

R275 is “it is profitable?” Troll

by Anonymousreply 277March 4, 2024 11:45 PM

[quote] [R272] it’s a hit. Whether you endorse it or not is irrelevant. Look at your posting histories. Yes, plural. You’re a nobody running your mouth on the internet. No job. No education. The irony in you trying to degrade Chalamet for not having gone to an arts college when you yourself have done nothing with your life so far but live off your family and post online 24/7.

Looks like I hit a nerve.

I don’t know what makes you think you can determine my education and job history from my posts about how big a hit Dune Part 2 is. That’s some disordered thinking.

P.S. I defended TC against the poster who was criticizing him for not going to a prestigious arts college, so you’re also incompetent at stalking on DL.

by Anonymousreply 278March 5, 2024 12:22 AM

[quote] [R240], Your grasp of the JFK Administration and his personal charm is...fair.

r268 Your reading comprehension is less than fair. Those quotes about Kennedy are directly from Herbert explaining his thought process in creating Paul.

And as far as dumping LBJ, Jack would love to have done this, but he'd rather be president. Piss off LBJ and those Texas electoral votes would go straight to Goldwater. The stylish but otherwise mediocre and stumbling New Frontier was in big trouble as 1964 approached.

by Anonymousreply 279March 5, 2024 12:23 AM

R278 not a nerve. We are just sick of your lies and bullshit. Just get off the thread. Seriously. You’re a marvel brained loser. Living off your family. And yes, you are a Marvel person.

by Anonymousreply 280March 5, 2024 12:28 AM

It just occurs to me the only Marvel movie I've ever watched starred David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury. The only time they respected the truth of the character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281March 5, 2024 12:42 AM

I wish Zendaya could have just said "Tell me of your homework, Usil," at least once.

by Anonymousreply 282March 5, 2024 12:53 AM

HOMEWORLD!

Damn autocorrect!

by Anonymousreply 283March 5, 2024 12:53 AM

HOMEWORK is perfect for barely pubescent Tim !

by Anonymousreply 284March 5, 2024 12:56 AM

[quote] You realize that Austin is only on the left, and on the right is Chord Overstreet from "Glee"? Do all blonds look alike to you?

You do realize I replied to R259 who wrote, “I wonder what his costars must have thought at the table read when he opened his mouth for the first time.” I responded trout mouth because his mouth resembles that of Chord Overstreet (Sam, aka Trout Mouth, from Glee). Austin and Chord are often said to resemble one another hence my being able to readily find and link a picture of both of them. There are many such pictures.

by Anonymousreply 285March 5, 2024 2:03 AM

I would have liked to hear “I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.”

by Anonymousreply 286March 5, 2024 4:50 AM

Just got in from sold out Monday viewing on IMAX.

I need to gather my thoughts, but I’ll tell you one thing:

Zendaya will be nominated for an Oscar next year

by Anonymousreply 287March 5, 2024 5:51 AM

R287: Lol for what scowling at the camera?

by Anonymousreply 288March 5, 2024 9:16 AM

r287, BITCH, PLEASE! 🙄

by Anonymousreply 289March 5, 2024 9:22 AM

No one in the movie is going to be nominated for acting. Period.

by Anonymousreply 290March 5, 2024 12:22 PM

With franchisable IP films like this, people are willing to forgive or ignore mediocre acting. If America Ferrera can get nominated simply for reciting lines, Zendaya getting nominated for an hour and a half of scowling is not out of the question.

by Anonymousreply 291March 5, 2024 12:38 PM

I’m no Zendaya fan, but her acting is more subtle and emotional than her haters here have suggested.

by Anonymousreply 292March 5, 2024 12:40 PM

R292 she was very good in this. I thought she elevated Chani in a way the previous two actresses who played her didn’t. Chani is pretty lame in the book. Her undying and blind loyalty to Paul is annoying. She just accepts all he says and follows his lead, even when it hurts her own people. In this one they changed her to actually question him and she puts her people and planet before the white foreigners who swoop in and take over.

by Anonymousreply 293March 5, 2024 12:47 PM

In case you missed part one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294March 5, 2024 12:48 PM

Ive said this before but Zendaya's acting is very unselfish and focused outside of herself. I detect no vanity. Most actresses treat the camera like a mirror. She doesnt even seem to notice it exists. Its fascinating to me- her red carpet persona is very camera conscious and stylized, but once she starts acting she lets go of all that bullshit

by Anonymousreply 295March 5, 2024 12:49 PM

When Bennifer are sitting in front of you at the IMAX showing and you don’t notice until the movie is over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296March 5, 2024 12:53 PM

It's not just that Rodent Boy doesn't physically look the part, he simply has no on-screen charisma and he isn't even trying.

by Anonymousreply 297March 5, 2024 12:56 PM

R297

Timmy has tremendous charisma, both on screen and off, but in Dune 2, once he ingests the Water Of Life, he’s on fire and becomes the foretold prophet.

But you wouldn’t really know r297 / Matt Anscher because you haven’t seen the movie have you? Both because you cannot stand to see Timmy’s beautiful face on screen for 2.45 hours, but because you’re too poor to buy a ticket because you’re on permanent disability for your craziness and bone deep ugliness .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298March 5, 2024 1:37 PM

R279, Well, then I'll just redirect my criticism to the author. Moreover, if JFK were such an unquestioned cult figure, why then was his "New Frontier" "stumbling"? (Rhetorical. He was not a cult figure.)

by Anonymousreply 299March 5, 2024 5:24 PM

I confess, r285, that I did not realize you were responding to r259 as your post of r260 did not reference it. Yes, I've been aware for years that some people think that Austin and Chord resemble[d] each other. There are websites devoted to actors who resemble other actors.

Still waiting to learn what r259 meant by "Butler's Irish accent."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300March 5, 2024 5:36 PM

What do you mean what I meant by his Irish accent? He was doing an Irish accent in this movie. Are you deaf, you dumb cunt?

by Anonymousreply 301March 5, 2024 5:46 PM

Oh, and you can stop WW'ing yourself, dear. It's not a good look.

by Anonymousreply 302March 5, 2024 5:46 PM

He wasn’t doing an Irish accent R301. He was copying Stellan Skarsgard’s accent, who is a Swede and plays his father. It’s just so bad that it sounds Irish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303March 5, 2024 11:33 PM

Oh, right, r301 and r303; "[i]t's just so bad...." So bad that every reviewer called his accent a perfect impersonation of Skarsgard (which can itself be criticized, but not as either "bad" or "Irish." And the Timmy Loon thinks HIS boy has haters?!).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304March 6, 2024 2:09 AM

The good:

The score.

The sets, for the most part.

The opening skirmish with the black-clad soldiers floating upwards towards the cliff. Disorienting, nightmarish, graceful. Really superbly done.

Lady Margo's seduction scene, one of the most beautifully composed and frightening in genre film. Great reveal.

The spattering "fireworks" at the great post-stadium gala.

Solid acting, mostly, especially from Timothy (I am not a fan).

The bad:

Christopher Walken - he's great, but not here. And by not here, he appears to be only nominally present.

Pugh is no Virginia Madsen. That might seem a low bar to cross, but Madsen effectively conveyed a remote, oracular presence.

Zendaya is a talented and likable actress but despite clear efforts is still the same high school kid she was in the Spiderman films. Her final scenes are a classic example of being given nothing to do and no way to do it. The Director seemed to just put her in a corner and say "Stay! Stay! Bad Zendaya!" repeatedly.

Having the actor who portrays Raban be the dude who played essentially the exact same fucking type, physically and mentally, in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie was a misstep. There was nothing he could do to rid me of my expectation that a talking raccoon was just about to show up and start kicking ass.

Speaking of which there was no need for the Harkonnens to be so grotesque overall. We get it, they're the villains. They don't need to be bald albinos with black teeth. It would have been more off-putting overall if Feyd, at least, was conventionally attractive.

The worm-riding was nuts, as it was in the book. How do they keep the worms from submerging in the sand? How do they guide them? What the hell are these things eating that allows them to grow to such size? Are there billions of sand-krill we never hear about? What do the freeman eat, for that matter? Why are we continually told that the south of the planet is inhospitable when it appears to be common knowledge that millions of people live there?

The silly:

Stilgar riding by on his worm like it ain't no thang. Paul giving him a wave as if he's watching his surfer buddy catch a roll. I expected the Beach Boys to start in with "Surf City".

by Anonymousreply 305March 6, 2024 11:36 AM

There wasn't room for Tim Blake Nelson and the movie is nearly three hours long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306March 6, 2024 11:43 AM

The new characters (Pugh, Walken, Butler) were wasted. Austin Butler amounts to little more than a cameo. Walken and Chalamet were good for a closeup on their faces but were completely unbelievable once their mouths opened for any line of dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 307March 6, 2024 11:47 AM

People are openly laughing at Walken in theaters. He nearly ruins the movie. Completely miscast.

by Anonymousreply 308March 6, 2024 12:39 PM

They should NOT laugh at Walken. He taught a whole generation that if you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309March 6, 2024 12:50 PM

r305, if there is one thing I remember from the book, the hooks pull the worm's outer segments open, leaving the inner tender part of the worm exposed, such that the worm with stay on the surface to avoid the inner parts from getting full of sand (or something like that).

by Anonymousreply 310March 6, 2024 2:00 PM

I generally prefer my inner parts to remain sand-free as well.

by Anonymousreply 311March 6, 2024 2:03 PM

[quote] R305], if there is one thing I remember from the book, the hooks pull the worm's outer segments open, leaving the inner tender part of the worm exposed, such that the worm with stay on the surface to avoid the inner parts from getting full of sand (or something like that).

It could just roll over and kill everyone. Problem solved.

The real answer is that Shai Hulud desires to be ridden.

by Anonymousreply 312March 6, 2024 2:08 PM

[quote] It could just roll over and kill everyone.

I suppose it could if uncontrolled. I don't know about the new version but n the Lynch film you see the mechanisms the Fremen use to hold open the segments and control the worm's movements. Beyond that, leaving aside Leto the Second the God Emperor, the worms are simply beasts without intelligence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313March 6, 2024 2:14 PM

R312, don't we all.

by Anonymousreply 314March 6, 2024 2:29 PM

R307, 23 minutes, word has it. And that bit comes only after 90 minutes.

And yet the premieres and press interviews all include Austin as a Big Part, capitalizing on his "Elvis" popularity and as a member of some gimmicky "Modern Major 4" group of young-ish actors. Florence, too.

IOW, Austin is almost being used as a Bait and Switch.

R305, Not one reviewer agrees with you about this version of Feyd-Rautha's appearance. And surely you don't suggest that either Denis or Austin would want the ever-ready anti-Butler coterie to say how he is "copying" Sting?

R310, Author Herbert apparently wanted---consciously or unconsciously---a creepy hermaphroditic symbol. Like worms.

by Anonymousreply 315March 6, 2024 2:30 PM

R315, Herbert described Feyd as a comely youth and even the Baron was supposed to be very beautiful as a young man (his corpulence was the result of as degenerative disease, not gluttony). The idea that the Harkonnens are simply a race of freaks does not do the original concept or the film any favors.

by Anonymousreply 316March 6, 2024 2:53 PM

Well, I guess it can’t roll over as long as the rider is holding the scales open, because it would get sand in its sensitive parts, but surely it could shake them off.

It seems strange that the fremen worship the worms if they are just insentient beasts.

by Anonymousreply 317March 6, 2024 2:58 PM

Do the worms use Vagisil for their most sensitive areas?

by Anonymousreply 318March 6, 2024 3:24 PM

Let’s see.

I’ve made the conscious decision to buy a ticket to a fictional movie set far into the future where the protagonist has visions, drinks blue worm urine and, as a result, becomes a messianic figure, there’s gravity defying weaponry, and yet, I’m going to nit-pick on the logistics of riding a gigantic worm?

I’d say that matter left the barn when I decided to buy the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 319March 6, 2024 3:27 PM

Some people seek a deeper understanding of Herbert’s world than you. That’s nothing to boast about.

by Anonymousreply 320March 6, 2024 4:36 PM

Sandworm MARY ^

by Anonymousreply 321March 6, 2024 4:50 PM

You mean Shai-Hulud MARY!

by Anonymousreply 322March 6, 2024 5:38 PM

If we were talking about how the midiclorians work in Star Wars, I’d bow to your condescension. But Dune has endured as a major literary work for many decades, and Herbert took care in creating his worlds. I won’t apologize for spending some time to understand it.

More akin to diving into Tolkien than Harry Potter in my opinion, though I confess to having given more attention to counting horcruxes than the material warrants.

by Anonymousreply 323March 6, 2024 5:50 PM

R307 stop commenting on a film you very clearly didn’t watch.

Butler isn’t a “cameo”. He has his own scenes.

Maybe read the source material.

by Anonymousreply 324March 6, 2024 6:06 PM

Someone on twitter saw it 11 times since Thursday.

by Anonymousreply 325March 6, 2024 6:52 PM

R320, A "deeper meaning" wouldn't be about r319's sarcastic "the logistics of riding a gigantic worm."

It would involve mythology (including quite obviously Christian) and Campbell's Journey of the Hero; psychology; symbolism/semiotics; feminist theory; and so on.

by Anonymousreply 326March 6, 2024 9:46 PM

R325, And? We're all just trying to fend off conscious awareness of our mortality, so whatever works.

by Anonymousreply 327March 6, 2024 9:49 PM

I didn’t say “deeper meaning,” and putting quotes on those words is misleading.

I said deeper understanding—such as figuring out how one rides sandworms without getting killed and why the Fremen worship them.

by Anonymousreply 328March 6, 2024 9:54 PM

R31, Your question is silly, and r30/r32 is....unreliable. While he might very well find, as is anyone's prerogative, Austin's accent not to his, the auditor's, liking, it has been described by legit (as opposed to Reddit or DL) critics as precisely like Stellan's (uncle to Feyd-Rautha).

The "Elvis" voice criticism is long past its relevance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329March 6, 2024 11:55 PM

My apologies, r328. I try to be accurate, but clearly here I was not.

by Anonymousreply 330March 6, 2024 11:58 PM

"’I'm going to nit-pick on the logistics of riding a gigantic worm?"

He never had an issue on our film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331March 7, 2024 12:03 AM

Wow, that fake is so bad it looks like a painting.

by Anonymousreply 332March 7, 2024 1:24 AM

I love how gays all over social media are loving her and wish there was more of her. Not shocked she is a gay fave though. Im r1. I also liked her and wish there was more of her. QUEEN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333March 7, 2024 3:46 AM

I’m done with twitter for the day. People really reach for the stars to be offended over every little thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334March 7, 2024 3:50 AM

R333, it was an Oscar-worthy performance, and gorgeously directed - to the extent that I suspect the Director rather has a crush on the actress.

by Anonymousreply 335March 7, 2024 3:50 AM

R334, how does she say "Chani"?

by Anonymousreply 336March 7, 2024 3:52 AM

R335 you think he has a crush on her because he made the Bene Gesserit member who was sent to seduce Feyd-Rutha sexy? Her mission was to test him and secure the seed to continue his bloodline. They really couldn’t have Lena Dunham in the role.

by Anonymousreply 337March 7, 2024 3:56 AM

R337, the cameras devoured her (as she deserved). No other female cast member, including some very attractive women, had a fraction of the charge.

by Anonymousreply 338March 7, 2024 4:17 AM

R338 you’re crediting Denis for her screen presence instead of her. Shes a presence. A natural large presence

by Anonymousreply 339March 7, 2024 4:19 AM

[quote] They really couldn’t have Lena Dunham in the role.

Lens was considered for playing one of the sandworms, however.

by Anonymousreply 340March 7, 2024 4:24 AM

How very dare you!!!

I was considered for one of the moons.

by Anonymousreply 341March 7, 2024 4:27 AM

She rhymes it with "tucking jigger punt". I thought it was a little jarring, myself.

by Anonymousreply 342March 7, 2024 4:28 AM

Amen, r334. And many without any extant point of reference (aka, made up out of whole cloth).

IOW, trolls abound.

by Anonymousreply 343March 7, 2024 6:59 PM

Another review:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344March 8, 2024 8:37 PM

I agree with this^ He stole the movie.

by Anonymousreply 345March 8, 2024 8:43 PM

I haven't seen it yet- did they black out his teeth?

by Anonymousreply 346March 8, 2024 11:09 PM

Timothée is the Twinksatz Haderach.

by Anonymousreply 347March 10, 2024 2:10 AM

DeepFocusLense gives this film a middling review. I respect her although I relate to film completely different from her: I am an emotional movie watcher and she is very intellectual. She has an interesting take.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348March 10, 2024 2:47 AM

A product placement occurs for the official cookie of the film when Paul asks Gaius Helen Mohiam, "What's in the box?" She responds "Yumminess!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349March 10, 2024 2:52 AM

R348, "[M]iddling"?! She HATED IT! Her tone of voice is calm and her language temperate, but come on!

When she says that one glimpse of Sting was more impressive than all of Austin Butler, who to her just wasn't psycho enough, but whose Feyd is otherwise almost universally praised, you know this reviewer has no love lost for the movie!

She likes when Timothee learns to ride the Sandworms, but then goes on to describe the latter in vulgar pejoratives, and has nothing more to say about Paul. Zendaya she ignores completely!

Florence Pugh was a "Why?"; a "waste." Same for Christopher Walken, a "waste."

The only bright light belongs to Javier Bardem. 🙄

Basically she thinks Denis Villeneuve with "Dune: Part 2" was a poor man's David Lean and a cowardly man's David Lynch.

by Anonymousreply 350March 10, 2024 8:10 PM

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Epic movie and should be seen on the big screen. Was I the only one what couldn’t stop thinking about skull f***ing Austin Butler’s character? I don’t remember his lips being so big and inviting before??!!

by Anonymousreply 351March 11, 2024 6:56 PM

R351 yes. He has. Since a teen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352March 11, 2024 7:15 PM

I saw it this afternoon, finally. It was a beautiful and amazing work of art that left me rather indifferent, and I need to think about why.

It needed more ... cowbell. Lynch's 1984 film, for all its problems, had cowbell galore.

by Anonymousreply 353March 13, 2024 3:45 AM

Saw it last night.

Mouseboy's plastic looking chin was too distracting.

by Anonymousreply 354April 17, 2024 9:53 AM

Those erect micronips in OP's photo could cut a diamond.

by Anonymousreply 355April 17, 2024 10:46 AM

[quote]Speaking of which there was no need for the Harkonnens to be so grotesque overall. We get it, they're the villains. They don't need to be bald albinos with black teeth. It would have been more off-putting overall if Feyd, at least, was conventionally attractive.

this 100 times over. not sorry.

by Anonymousreply 356April 17, 2024 12:33 PM

It's finally available on torrent sites. Will probably watch it today

by Anonymousreply 357April 17, 2024 12:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!