Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Julian Assange: hero or criminal asshole?

His appeal looms this week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 16, 2024 7:08 PM

He's thoroughly pissed off the US government. He's going down. I'm not sure what to think, though.

by Anonymousreply 1February 18, 2024 11:29 PM

Is he still Pammy Anderson's boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 2February 19, 2024 12:54 AM

He exposed how corrupt our goverment is, thats why the gov hates him.

by Anonymousreply 3February 19, 2024 12:56 AM

Total asshole and total coward. If I never heard another word about him ever again - it would be too soon.

by Anonymousreply 4February 19, 2024 1:10 AM

Go to Russher and try that mess

by Anonymousreply 5February 19, 2024 1:18 AM

Whatever you think of him, he's suffered enough. His mental health is completely shot.

What has happened to him isn't a whole lot better than if he'd been in Russia, and he's said he will suicide rather than be imprisoned in the US, so IDK what that tells you about your great little country.

by Anonymousreply 6February 19, 2024 3:19 AM

r6, to whom are you addressing your remarks?

by Anonymousreply 7February 19, 2024 3:28 AM

Australians meddling in American democracy is an affront. An ongoing assault.

You love American money, take jobs from American people and contribute nothing beneficial to American society. Take. Take. Take

by Anonymousreply 8February 19, 2024 3:31 AM

I can't believe this is still dragging on, after all these years. What an indictment of the British judicial system.

by Anonymousreply 9February 19, 2024 3:32 AM

I thought he was dead.

by Anonymousreply 10February 19, 2024 3:33 AM

Stank ass whiner.

by Anonymousreply 11February 19, 2024 4:05 AM

[quote] I can't believe this is still dragging on, after all these years. What an indictment of the British judicial system.

The British judicial system will give this case at least as much scrutiny as a death row case would receive in America. Given that Assange is facing life entombed in a supermax prison, that is not an unreasonable analogy.

I believe Assange is a criminal, and has done terrible damage, but I don’t think he deserves the punishment which awaits him in the US. I doubt many British jurists do either. If they can find a reason to refuse extradition, they will do it, just as Theresa May did in the case below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 19, 2024 4:15 AM

Maybe he'll get off with a last second pardon from His Majesty, and can ride off into the sunset with décolletage-queen Chelsea Manning for a proper Hollywood ending.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 19, 2024 5:02 AM

Part of acts of civil disobedience is being willing to accept the consequences. People died because of what he did.

by Anonymousreply 14February 19, 2024 5:11 AM

Can’t we just drone him?

by Anonymousreply 15February 19, 2024 6:49 AM

I don't trust him. I supported him at one point but he blew that

Both the DNC and the RNC were hacked but 'for some reason' wikileaks/assange ONLY released the DNC stuff

The stuff that lead to the whole Pizzagate bullshit BTW

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 19, 2024 7:54 AM

I love that pic of Obama staring down that puffy faced short stack Pootunt.

I hope the hang Assange upside down and waterboard him through his anus, THEN I want him locked up in supermax. Fuck him into one of Jupiter’s futhest moons.

by Anonymousreply 17February 19, 2024 8:13 AM

I don't. I want him punished to the fullest extent of the la, with a fair trial, because I'm not a subhuman.

by Anonymousreply 18February 19, 2024 9:15 AM

Can you prove anyone died as a direct result of his actions, R14? That sounds like something a government shill would say.

by Anonymousreply 19February 19, 2024 9:21 AM

Can you prove anyone didn't? That sounds like something a self-appointed expert would say.

by Anonymousreply 20February 19, 2024 9:40 AM

Hope they stick him in a windowless cell for 125 years with only a slab of metal for a bed and a lidless shitter, 1 ply toilet paper.

Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 21February 19, 2024 10:20 AM

[quote]The Wikileaks founder has been in Hindmarsh Prison in the UK and is wanted in the US for espionage, facing 18 charges related to the publication of a range of highly classified material [bold]about the US-led wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.[/bold]

Bruh. What is wrong with you people? Stay focused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 19, 2024 10:37 AM

The info he revealed can be terrible and he can be a self-promoting criminal at the same time, r22. If he's so damned noble about it, he'd face the consequences of breaking the law with dignity. Instead, he's spent his moral capital on celebrity and stinking out the Ecuadorian embassy in London. Martin Luther King, he ain't.

by Anonymousreply 23February 19, 2024 10:41 AM

r23 You don't find it odd that a sizeable amount of the public suddenly turned on him en masse during the 2016 election drama? That doesn't seem, oh I don't know, oddly convenient for the US Government, to you?

by Anonymousreply 24February 19, 2024 10:45 AM

He worked with Russia to elect Trump.

He is an enemy of democracy and has faced the consequences of his actions.

by Anonymousreply 25February 19, 2024 10:46 AM

[quote]He worked with Russia to elect Trump.

According to whom? It wouldn't, by chance, be [italic]members of the US Government[/italic], now, would it?

You're almost there. Trump is definitely a puppet. You seem to have the puppeteers mixed up, though, r25. Take your time.

by Anonymousreply 26February 19, 2024 10:51 AM

R24, it all came out after Trump won.

by Anonymousreply 27February 19, 2024 10:52 AM

If everyone leaked intelligence we'd be in a big mess, so there has to be some pretty severe consequences for willingly doing so.

And, as time has gone on, I've wondered if his motivation was purely selfless. He's been made a bit of a celebrity in the process, so perhaps he was also motivated by self interest.

by Anonymousreply 28February 19, 2024 10:56 AM

r27 No. No it did not. Do you not remember when Wikileaks first posted that Reuter's journalist Iraq footage? That happened in 2010. The US Gov't has been pissed at this man ever since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 19, 2024 11:01 AM

[quote]If everyone leaked intelligence we'd be in a big mess, [bold]so there has to be some pretty severe consequences for willingly doing so.[/bold]

r28 Or, alternatively, political and military leaders could just refrain from doing objectively shady and unethical shit in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 30February 19, 2024 11:05 AM

Julian Assange has always been an asshole. What was the point of posting the fact that US intelligence was monitoring Angela Merkel’s sleep habits other than to damage the US-German relationship and embarrass the US. It served no policy position.

Thanks R30 for your post from candy land.

by Anonymousreply 31February 19, 2024 11:07 AM

R31 Thanks, you've said similar to what I was planning to say to R30 - ie Assange didn't just stick to leaking "objectively shady and unethical shit", which makes me question his true motivation.

by Anonymousreply 32February 19, 2024 11:12 AM

[quote]What was the point of posting the fact that US intelligence was monitoring Angela Merkel’s sleep habits

r31

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 19, 2024 11:32 AM

R30 lives in Pollyannaland.

by Anonymousreply 34February 19, 2024 11:34 AM

r34 No. It's the exact opposite, actually.

by Anonymousreply 35February 19, 2024 11:38 AM

No, it's not. Values are one thing, but extensive knowledge and training around how intelligence works it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 36February 19, 2024 11:40 AM

What R16 said. Why only the DNC stuff?

by Anonymousreply 37February 19, 2024 12:27 PM

[quote]but extensive knowledge and training around how intelligence works it isn't.

This has nothing to do with the primary (and arguably most controversial) charge Assange is currently facing; publishing classified information that was given (read: leaked) to him by someone who actually does have "extensive knowledge and training around how intelligence works (Manning)." That individual has, also, already served their sentence and is free.

A 175 years conviction for attempted hacking and publishing of information that Assange didn't even retrieve himself sets a dangerous precedent for the freedom of the press portion of the 1A. Motives for publishing in journalism are irrelevant to charges under the Espionage Act, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 38February 19, 2024 12:28 PM

Wasn't he holed up in some embassy smearing shit on the walls and acting so crazy that the embassy funny got sick of him?

by Anonymousreply 39February 19, 2024 12:30 PM

Manning showed up in court, R38. Assange knew what he was sharing.

by Anonymousreply 40February 19, 2024 12:31 PM

r40 Him knowing what he was sharing is not the issue. He was under no obligation under US law to protect classified government documents, Manning was. Charging him for attempted hacking of government systems is the only charge that doesn't lead to a slippery 1A slope. The publishing, charge, does.

I think this guy had an interesting breakdown of the entire situation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 19, 2024 12:37 PM

Asshole. He revealed the identities of Iraqi Jews in hiding because he couldn't be bothered to edit the information he released. He argued that all information should be free, or somesuch garbage. Then, when his location was released, he whined about his privacy being invaded. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 42February 19, 2024 12:38 PM

Working for Pootie. Why didn't he go to Mother Russia's embassy to hide?

by Anonymousreply 43February 19, 2024 12:57 PM

Either the FSB gave Assmange the hacked RNC emails and he refused to publish them OR the FSB didn’t bother to turn over the hacked RNC emails.

So they could be used for blackmail at a later date.

by Anonymousreply 44February 19, 2024 6:58 PM

[quote] Can you prove anyone didn't? That sounds like something a self-appointed expert would say.

I'm not the person you're arguing with, but you cannot ask someone to prove a negative. You lost your argument right there.

by Anonymousreply 45February 19, 2024 8:28 PM

Looks like Biden is considering dropping the prosecution of Julian Assange

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 11, 2024 11:35 PM

Send him back to Australia and let him die in the Outback. His mental state must be beyond repair surely? Does the USA taxpayer really want tp pay for this loon sitting in a jail cell?

by Anonymousreply 47April 11, 2024 11:46 PM

Nope. Assmange needs to cough up the FSB agents who fed him the RNC hacks and all of the other shit he acted as an FSB go between for.

Plus, he needs to give up Bannon and Stone for their part in election interference.

Maybe after he’s coughed that up, we can keel haul him to Australia.

by Anonymousreply 48April 11, 2024 11:58 PM

Not all white haired autistic heroes wear capes

by Anonymousreply 49April 12, 2024 12:08 AM

In russher, people get pushed from windows or served tea with plutonium for a much smaller crimes.

by Anonymousreply 50April 12, 2024 12:26 AM

I like you r 48. Your ideas are excellent. Add Scabies Bannon and Stone to the keelhauling.

Round the clock waterboarding is too good for these three traitors.

by Anonymousreply 51April 16, 2024 4:49 AM

How has this still not been resolved yet? British courts suck ass even harder than the American ones.

by Anonymousreply 52April 16, 2024 4:52 AM

Russian stooge

by Anonymousreply 53April 16, 2024 4:55 AM

If you combine the time he spent in the Ecuadorian embassy and in Belmarsh Prison, it's almost 12 years.

I'm not certain that keeping him imprisoned for longer is in anyone's interests.

by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2024 4:17 PM

The fact that Our Lady of the Favelas Glenn Greenwald is constantly tonguing his asshole tells me all I need to know about him and his interests.

by Anonymousreply 55April 16, 2024 6:51 PM

I’m not a violent man, but he has the textbook definition of a punchable face.

by Anonymousreply 56April 16, 2024 7:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!