Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Will La Trudeau go go by month's end?

Some recent polling has Mr. Trudeau trailing the Conservatives by close to 20 points. But the attitude is to let the death march proceed.

How things have changed. After being in power a goodly number of years like Mr. Trudeau, Jean Chrétien faced enormous pressure to step down from his party – though rather than being 20 points behind, he was about 20 ahead!

The passivity of the party, a Chrétien cabinet minister told me yesterday, is amazing, given that Mr. Trudeau, fresh off another scandal – the ArriveCan one – seems beyond salvation.

[italic]But that former minister doesn’t believe Mr. Trudeau will stay. He predicted he will step down at the end of this month, because it will mark exactly 40 years since his father Pierre Trudeau took his famous walk in the snow and announced his retirement.[/italic]

Such a departure is not beyond the realm of possibility. But most Liberals will tell you that since no one is pushing him, Justin Trudeau will hold on as long as possible, in the hopes that his support numbers will recover and he can make another run for the crown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2024 1:18 AM

?

by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2024 5:42 PM

Renewed rumours he's going. One of his besties:

"We need only to consider what Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc, a very close friend of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, is up to.

A former Liberal cabinet minister met with Mr. LeBlanc recently and they discussed plans, I’m told, for Mr. LeBlanc to run to succeed Mr. Trudeau as party leader and become prime minister, should he step down.

Mr. LeBlanc was eager. Over whisky and cigars – the New Brunswicker has always enjoyed a good stogie – the former minister agreed to be part of a ginger group to lay the groundwork for a campaign.

Along with several other prominent Liberals, Mr. LeBlanc has been rumoured to be considering a run. It’s clear now he’s serious. And it’s doubtful he would be making such plans if he didn’t think there was a decent chance the PM’s job might soon become open.

Few know Mr. Trudeau better than Mr. LeBlanc, who was first elected in 2000. They’ve been pals since boyhood when Mr. LeBlanc’s father, Roméo LeBlanc, was in Pierre Trudeau’s cabinet, and he sometimes babysat Justin, four years younger."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2024 11:49 PM

And:

Asked by a reporter, “do you plan to run for Liberal Leader?” Mr. LeBlanc replied: “No, I plan to be a candidate in the next election under Prime Minister Trudeau’s leadership. I’m very happy. I’m excited about that. I’m focused on the responsibilities he gave me.”

“I’m optimistic that our team and the Prime Minister will make the case to Canadians as to why we should be re-elected.”

However, he refused to answer a question about whether he’s had talks about a potential run in the future and walked away from reporters when they asked if he thought Mr. Trudeau should resign. He also did not answer a question about whether he is organizing a leadership bid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2024 11:50 PM

Moosefucker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2024 12:22 AM

[quote] he can make another run for the crown.

Cancer or no cancer, I’m not handing the Crown of Canada to him.

by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2024 12:22 AM

Will he do his “go go” in hot pants?

by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2024 1:10 AM

Why is the Op linking to a months-old article? One that as to the comparison with Biden is woefully outdated.

by Anonymousreply 7April 19, 2024 1:13 AM

How do the good citizens of Nunavut feel about this?

by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2024 1:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!