Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kristen Wiig returns to television in new series “Palm Royale”

It looks amazing and has an all star cast!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102April 27, 2024 12:29 PM

I'm in. I was wondering what to watch when Feud/Swans is over.

by Anonymousreply 1February 5, 2024 11:53 PM

Wow, the wonderful Mindy Cohn!

by Anonymousreply 2February 6, 2024 12:13 AM

R1 I’m in also. Looks fun

by Anonymousreply 3February 6, 2024 2:11 AM

Looks better than Feud Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 4February 6, 2024 3:05 AM

I was sure Bruce Dern was dead.

by Anonymousreply 5February 6, 2024 3:15 AM

R2 Stop using hard drugs.

by Anonymousreply 6February 6, 2024 3:19 AM

R5 no

by Anonymousreply 7February 6, 2024 6:44 PM

It starts this week

by Anonymousreply 8March 19, 2024 1:20 AM

The only streaming I don't have is Peacock and Apple and now they both have things I want to watch. It is starting to be as expensive as cable. This looks like competition for The White Lotus.

by Anonymousreply 9March 19, 2024 1:23 AM

Itsh looksh sho amashing!!!

by Anonymousreply 10March 19, 2024 1:25 AM

It’s nothing like The White Lotus nor on at the same time as White Lotus. So not competing with White Lotus

by Anonymousreply 11March 19, 2024 1:25 AM

I'm going to start it when it drops. It'll be fun. Plus I need some sunny desert glam. Especially since my ass hasn't been anywhere this year. Now where're my vintage caftans?

by Anonymousreply 12March 19, 2024 1:39 AM

Looks fun

by Anonymousreply 13March 19, 2024 11:14 PM

Anyone else watching this tonight? Apple TV dropped the first three episodes early. I just finished episode one and love it so far. It’s campy, goofy and ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 14March 20, 2024 4:07 AM

I watched the pilot episode last night. Apple obviously had a huge production budget. So many names and faces you'll recognize. And the sets, costumes and location shots are exceptionally well done. While the promos might lead you to believe otherwise, it's not a laugh out loud gal-pal comedy ala Bridesmaids. Kristen looks amazing - "well rested" as the press might say. Looking forward to seeing the other episodes just posted.

by Anonymousreply 15March 20, 2024 4:26 PM

[QUOTE] The only streaming I don't have is Peacock and Apple and now they both have things I want to watch. It is starting to be as expensive as cable. This looks like competition for The White Lotus.

I thought I wasn’t missing much on Apple TV Plus but they’re working hard to change my mind.

by Anonymousreply 16March 20, 2024 4:39 PM

Just finished the premiere. Wildly entertaining, can't wait to watch the rest. Some iffy green screen here and there that cheapens the look, but perhaps that's apropos, given the plot. Kristen makes me laugh with every single facial expression, I just love her.

The actress who played the abortion nurse has goiter, I hope someone told her to see a doctor after the shoot.

by Anonymousreply 17March 20, 2024 7:17 PM

R16 Same here. Slow Horses on Apple was slow for me to get into but now I love it - British spy thing. Also Aniston’s Morning Show is camptastic.

by Anonymousreply 18March 20, 2024 7:24 PM

This show is boring as hell. Why does it exist?

The acting, especially Wiig, is endless “mugging for the camera”. Just a lot of vapid eye rolls and caftan gowns. Only Ricky Martin delivers some nuance in his performance. Laura Dern is embarrassing as the “rich kid rebel with a cause”.

This is streaming excess. Big budget production full of absolutely nothing substantial episode after episode. Wing’s character truly is annoying. She plays her like the “Target lady” on ketamine.

by Anonymousreply 19March 20, 2024 7:30 PM

[quote]Only Ricky Martin delivers some nuance in his performance.

He's the only one whose acting made me wince, it's clear from the first second he isn't an actor.

by Anonymousreply 20March 20, 2024 7:51 PM

r19 As always with camp, you either like it or you don't. I'd wager a guess you didn't enjoy her Barb&Starr movie either.

by Anonymousreply 21March 20, 2024 7:52 PM

Yeah, if Martin delivered any nuance, it was purely by accident.

by Anonymousreply 22March 20, 2024 7:53 PM

Martin is the only one who has “heart” in this campy, overproduced dumb show. He’s far less one-note than Allison Janney who looks like she’s sucking in a fart every time she’s on screen and out of control Wiig who is all over the place and can’t get out of caricature mode.

by Anonymousreply 23March 20, 2024 7:56 PM

I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 24March 23, 2024 4:20 AM

I'm loving this!

It's totally silly, but a ton of fun.

by Anonymousreply 25March 23, 2024 4:38 AM

I'm enjoying it so far. The show is stupid escapism. I'm not expecting much.

by Anonymousreply 26March 23, 2024 5:36 AM

It’s stupid and pointless, much like the people enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 27March 23, 2024 9:02 AM

R27 = horse’s ass

by Anonymousreply 28March 23, 2024 8:13 PM

Julia Duffy is in it too!

by Anonymousreply 29March 23, 2024 9:56 PM

Sad how fags confuse Ricky Martin's shirtless posing for acting.

by Anonymousreply 30March 24, 2024 8:53 PM

I’m a Kristin Wiig fan but this is terrible. Worse than terrible.

by Anonymousreply 31March 24, 2024 10:09 PM

Whoa. It is incredibly bad. Ryan, I’m sorry for dissing The Swans, can u forgive me?

by Anonymousreply 32March 25, 2024 3:27 AM

Palm Royale is competing with The Swans and The Regime for 2024 series that was supposed to be acclaimed by the gays but the gays just aren’t that into them.

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2024 12:22 AM

It is vapid, mindless, campy fun, but it has so many plot wholes and improbable behavior that i am at times taken out of it.

Ricky Martin looks too good. Is there some filter thing going on?

by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2024 12:28 AM

So this is like Fresno, also with Burnett? Only the eldergays will know what I'm talking about.

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2024 12:42 AM

There are two types of people in this world: those who have and those who have not.

I have. You have not.

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2024 12:53 AM

Burnett gets 10 seconds as a corpse

The characters are just cartoon like Housewives of some county in Florida. More crap for ya.

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2024 1:02 AM

Where are the jokes? There are zero joke.

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2024 1:04 AM

Ricky Martin always playing the house boy, I think he wants the roll in person not who he is in reality.

by Anonymousreply 39March 31, 2024 4:22 AM

I read Wiig was CGI de-aged for her role

by Anonymousreply 40March 31, 2024 6:33 AM

Everyone is, R40. The CGI on the faces is unreal. Ricky Martin and Laura Dern’s is especially bizarre and embarrassing. They even did it to Carol.

by Anonymousreply 41March 31, 2024 12:49 PM

Carol plays a corpse

by Anonymousreply 42March 31, 2024 12:51 PM

It's really giving GCB vibes.

That space between sarcastic, dark comedy and drama is a hard place to land and this show is kinda fun but didn't quite stick the landing thus far.

by Anonymousreply 43March 31, 2024 1:01 PM

Kristin Wiig is seriously miscast in this. I’m guessing she is a producer on the show, because no serious casting director would have cast her in this role without some form of external (and decisive) influence being exerted upon him or her.

by Anonymousreply 44March 31, 2024 1:05 PM

[quote] I’m guessing she is a producer on the show

Everyone and their mother is an executive producer, which probably accounts for some of the "too many cooks" vibe.

Wiig and Dern are a good decade too old for their roles, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 45March 31, 2024 1:08 PM

Life’s too short. What an absolute misfire.

by Anonymousreply 46March 31, 2024 1:08 PM

Fresno was another one that could have been funny but missed by a mile.

by Anonymousreply 47March 31, 2024 1:11 PM

[quote]I’m guessing she is a producer on the show, because no serious casting director would have cast her in this role without some form of external (and decisive) influence being exerted upon him or her.

The project was developed by Laura Dern as a starring vehicle for herself. When other commitments got in the way, she asked Wiig to take the part.

by Anonymousreply 48March 31, 2024 2:08 PM

R47 - I was thinking this reminds me of Fresno.

by Anonymousreply 49March 31, 2024 2:12 PM

Sucks Royally

by Anonymousreply 50March 31, 2024 2:14 PM

God you tired queens take everything sooooo seriously.

It's good mindless entertainment. I thought the Havana Nights party sequence was spectacular!

by Anonymousreply 51March 31, 2024 2:15 PM

I just watched the first episode. It was certainly intriguing in a soapy way, but I also thought it might be trying to do a little too much. Will see where it goes.

by Anonymousreply 52March 31, 2024 2:19 PM

Apparently the book is VERY different and this got substantially changed along the way.

by Anonymousreply 53March 31, 2024 2:49 PM

How have I never heard of Fresno? Must watch it immediately!! Thanks Elder Gays!!!

by Anonymousreply 54March 31, 2024 3:28 PM

R48 not quite. The show has about a dozen executive producers involved. Whig is one of many.

by Anonymousreply 55March 31, 2024 4:21 PM

I agree, r51.

Also, I enjoy seeing most of my favorite ladies all in one place.

by Anonymousreply 56March 31, 2024 4:33 PM

It's fun so far but I can see why some feel it's missing a little something.

by Anonymousreply 57March 31, 2024 4:47 PM

Is Wiig's character supposed to be around 30ish in this show? Wiig herself is 51. She's way too old.

by Anonymousreply 58March 31, 2024 4:51 PM

I got an AppleTV 3-month free trial, and thank god I didn't pay for this. I like Kristin Wiig, but she's way overdoing it here, and they haven't found a consistent tone. Agree with R23 re Ricky Martin, he's fine here.

The Laura Dern/women's group parts are bad bad bad.

by Anonymousreply 59March 31, 2024 6:06 PM

The CHI explains a lot. I was somehow confounded by Ricky Martin in this and Ricky Martin in a photo someone posted here last week, the difference is astounding.

I continue to see it but as I mentioned above, the improbable behavior and plot wholes make Desperate Housewives look like a documentary.

Still, more watchable than The Regime, which is unfunny AND boring. I am a little surprised that i am finding Shogun the campiest of the latest shows.

by Anonymousreply 60March 31, 2024 6:13 PM

Fresno is on Youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 31, 2024 6:21 PM

I laughed at the vapid poon line.

by Anonymousreply 62March 31, 2024 6:26 PM

[quote]Is Wiig's character supposed to be around 30ish in this show?

The series takes place in 1969, and we saw in a flashback Maxine win Miss Chattanooga in 1947. She's probably supposed to be in her late 40s.

by Anonymousreply 63March 31, 2024 6:31 PM

Wiig is 50, so....not a huge age difference I guess, but the CGI/filters in this are working OVERTIME, hunty.

by Anonymousreply 64March 31, 2024 6:43 PM

It looks entertaining enough to give it a try, but not entertaining enough if it doesn't grab and entertain immediately.

by Anonymousreply 65March 31, 2024 6:51 PM

It moves slowly. But I’m loving the sets and costumes.

by Anonymousreply 66March 31, 2024 8:05 PM

I love Kristin Wiig, but she just hasn’t locked in to the character. She’s sort of floating over the surface, and I’m seeing glimpses of Penelope, Gilly, the Target lady, and other characters she does on SNL. This role needed an actress who could hone in and focus on the purpose of this character.

Allison Janney is great, as is Julia Duffy. Laura Dern is good, but too old. It’s fun to see Mindy Cohn act again. But everyone else is just sort of flailing all over the place, unable to grasp some sense of character and purpose.

by Anonymousreply 67April 1, 2024 1:07 AM

I love Leslie Bibb, even if she's basically playing a variation on a GCB character again. She's been the MVP so far (two episodes in).

by Anonymousreply 68April 1, 2024 3:09 AM

I would watch a weekly series with Julia Duffy and Mindy!

by Anonymousreply 69April 1, 2024 3:59 AM

I'm just watching for Carol. She delivers. The rest of the show has been a bit of a wreck, but it's mindless entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 70April 1, 2024 5:53 AM

Its delightful. Great actors we haven't seen for a while and a fun plot. Delicious interiors, cars & costumes of the time. We like!!

by Anonymousreply 71April 1, 2024 6:23 AM

[quote] . She’s sort of floating over the surface, and I’m seeing glimpses of Penelope, Gilly, the Target lady, and other characters she does on SNL.

I said this exact thing to my husband yesterday. I like her a lot, and she has something to say as an actress, but her long career at SNL unfortunately gave away most of her comic ability, and now they just read as tics rather than authenticity. The show is a bit of a mess though, and some of it really isn’t her fault.

by Anonymousreply 72April 1, 2024 1:05 PM

Ricky Martin looks okay (thanks CGI!) but he is not an actor, has zero chemistry with Laura Dern other than faghag, and is miscast. Anyone could have played this role better.

by Anonymousreply 73April 1, 2024 1:08 PM

I said in another Palm Royale thread that Wiig (who looks amazing - all tanned limbs and perfect golden hair) would be more interesting playing a better written version of Allison Janey’s embattled Queen Bee part (like everyone else in the free world I adore Janney, but she’s not my idea at all of a manicured Palm Beach socialite - whereas Wiig was clearly born to wear vintage Lily Pulitzer in flamingo pink).

by Anonymousreply 74April 1, 2024 1:26 PM

I can't stand that fat rhino.

by Anonymousreply 75April 1, 2024 10:18 PM

[quote]He's the only one whose acting made me wince, it's clear from the first second he isn't an actor.

Or a singer, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 76April 4, 2024 2:36 PM

Who is the fat rhino?

by Anonymousreply 77April 4, 2024 3:46 PM

You can't go home again..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 4, 2024 4:13 PM

I don't want to spoil anything but am I right that two male characters indulge in the homosex?

(Not the nellie designer)

by Anonymousreply 79April 6, 2024 2:52 AM

I am enjoying this so far but R67 nailed my feeling about it.....Wiig is just not locking into the role. She's playing it as a sketch character, but everyone else is bringing that deeper sharp/dark edge to root their over the top camp elements......she seems to either be unwilling or unable to do that.

by Anonymousreply 80April 6, 2024 3:30 AM

Have only been watching this to see The Queen of America, Carol Burnett. She delivers. The series is a long slog, but it gets slightly better with each episode. Everyone is too old for their characters, but who cares. You get to see a wonderful cast. Suspension of belief, or whatever. There's quite a bit of political subtext in the story, which Carol has avoided during her career, but is clearly all in with this story.

by Anonymousreply 81April 6, 2024 5:36 PM

The reviews for this are awful.

by Anonymousreply 82April 6, 2024 5:43 PM

You'd have to be about 60 years old at the youngest to even know who Carol Burnett is.

by Anonymousreply 83April 6, 2024 5:50 PM

People in their forties watched Annie as kids, R83, and probably have some passing knowledge of her variety series even if they were too young to watch it. While I doubt Gen Z kids are doing her Tarzan yell on TikTok, it's not like she's Imogene Coca.

by Anonymousreply 84April 6, 2024 6:04 PM

I'm pushing 50 and her variety show was even before my time.

by Anonymousreply 85April 6, 2024 6:07 PM

@ r83: "You'd have to be about 60 years old at the youngest to even know who Carol Burnett is." You say that as if it's a crime to be age 60 or older. Why are you even bothering to watch this series? It is targeted towards Eldergays. Stay in your own lane. This is possibly Carol's swan song. Too bad the series isn't better.

@ r79, my money is on the Perry character being hooked up and in cahoots with Ricky Martin for greed and homosex. Am hoping for that payoff.

by Anonymousreply 86April 6, 2024 6:30 PM

I thought that Perry and his best friend are getting it on

by Anonymousreply 87April 6, 2024 9:03 PM

It feels like Ricky Martin is paying a reverse roll of what is actually going on in his personal life and the pool boy.

by Anonymousreply 88April 6, 2024 9:05 PM

[quote] Ricky Martin is paying

Oh, dear.

[quote] a reverse roll

Oh, dear, again!

by Anonymousreply 89April 6, 2024 9:12 PM

Binging it! The whole show is wonderful and is relevant today (with the bits on women’s rights)

Laura Dern looks great (I know she’s wearing a wig)

by Anonymousreply 90April 8, 2024 12:41 AM

Up to Episode 5.

Still interested, though it still feels like Wiig is in one show and everyone else is in another.

But gotta love the opening credits.

by Anonymousreply 91April 20, 2024 3:41 AM

That’s what it feels like to me R88. Josh Lucas is so gay. His relationship with his friend seems sexual to me. And what are the ages supposed to be of these people? Kristen Wiig is fifty, on the show they’re acting like she’s forty something and there’s talk of pregnancy? Um, how?

by Anonymousreply 92April 20, 2024 1:20 PM

None of the men shown on this series seem particularly heterosexual. Josh Lucas has a very femmy speaking voice.

by Anonymousreply 93April 20, 2024 1:25 PM

Josh Lucas pings my gaydar, too. I also think he's adorable and was hoping that he and his best friend ("Perry"?) would end up to be fucking. I Googled him, and sadly, found that he is indeed a pussy hound, but he's also gay-friendly and a Democrat, so he shall remain in my spank bank. Am on the final episode, so maybe there's still hope.

Ricky keeps getting more handsome with age. And he gets to spend all of that time with Carol, so I'm a bit jealous.

It's not a great series, despite the awesome cast.

by Anonymousreply 94April 20, 2024 9:40 PM

How do you hire Carol Burnett and then NOT LET HER SPEAK?????

by Anonymousreply 95April 20, 2024 10:49 PM

They are digitally enhancing a lot of actors aren’t they?

by Anonymousreply 96April 21, 2024 4:28 PM

It sucks ass

by Anonymousreply 97April 21, 2024 4:56 PM

R96 Wiig, Burnett, Ricky Martin, and Laura D for sure. Maybe Janney, too. Certainly in the scenes from the aborted wedding......

by Anonymousreply 98April 21, 2024 5:41 PM

It's not that easy to digitally enhance video, in spite what you have seen with all the new AI apps. In the real world, or I should say in the nitty gritty world of Hollywood special effects, it's still very time consuming to de-age someone in more than a single shot. Unless they have 100 million budget, I doubt they spent the money needed to do that. I would say 90% of that is just good makeup and lighting.

by Anonymousreply 99April 24, 2024 4:23 AM

I have to say, just watched Ep 6 and some of the things that irked me early on are minimized...I am totally hooked.

by Anonymousreply 100April 27, 2024 3:41 AM

I am enjoying the Ricky Martin action in the latest episodes, finally some gay action.

by Anonymousreply 101April 27, 2024 12:22 PM

This sounds bizarre and I am not fan of the Hiltons or the Housewives show, but a good camp series that I wish hadn't been canceled was 'American Woman' tv series. I think you may be able to find it on Apple. It's about Kyle Richards' mother and starred Alicia Silverstone, Mena Suvari, Cheyenne Jackson(!)

by Anonymousreply 102April 27, 2024 12:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!