Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare”: Henry Cavill has gone camp

This could be very good or very bad.

Some very good camp performances have come from actors not naturally inclined to it (Bruce Willis in “Death Becomes Her”, Matthew McConaughey in “Magic Mike”, Guy Pearce in “Priscilla”) who cannot really calibrate the subtleties, so they close their eyes, slam their foot on the pedal and hope to reach 100 mph without killing anybody. It works or it doesn’t (if anyone can think of any in the latter category, I haven’t had coffee yet.)

The movie also stars Alex Pettyfer in his seventh or eighth comeback role, Cary Elwes who does nothing but camp these days (and is very good at it), and Alan Ritchson’s calves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 20, 2024 7:45 PM

Well, Guy Ritchie is involved, so, let's go with very bad.

by Anonymousreply 1January 30, 2024 2:01 PM

Oh I thought of a an example for the latter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 30, 2024 2:04 PM

And from the same film, Anthony Hopkins dials it to 100 but it works

Oddly Cary Elwes is also in this movie. He’s like a camp omen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 30, 2024 2:09 PM

Will be interesting to see if DL fav Henry has any comedic timing...wonder how that will go?

by Anonymousreply 4January 30, 2024 2:13 PM

Change the title to Ministry of Magic!

It will make billions!

by Anonymousreply 5January 30, 2024 2:15 PM

The boy is a total stiff. Did anyone see the trailer for that shitpile ARGYL? He's supposed to wow us with his dancing and all he does is walk fast.

He's a humorless himbo with an inflated sense of self-importance.

by Anonymousreply 6January 30, 2024 2:19 PM

Looks fun but Guy Ritchie makes me want to wait until it's on Hulu.

by Anonymousreply 7January 30, 2024 2:34 PM

It has been written and directed by Guy Ritchie, which means that it's a third rate turd oriented towards the type of bro-ish wankers who love to watch mindless shows like Top Gear and believe that Mark Wahlberg would have been able to prevent 9/11. His films are invariably bad and he is insufferable.

And I agree with R6. If Henry Cavill's rich and well-connected daddy hadn't bought him a career and Russell Crowe's recommendation, he'd be on OF.

by Anonymousreply 8January 30, 2024 2:43 PM

This could be the right kind of material needed to reinvigorate Henry’s career.

by Anonymousreply 9January 30, 2024 3:08 PM

No R8

Henry Cavill has a career for the same reason a woman saw a young Cavill in his film debut in The Count of Monte Cristo and decided to write a book using him as the protagonist. The book and its sequels have sold 120 million copies.

It’s because he is special.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 30, 2024 3:13 PM

did Henry open that delicious ass for Russell C?

by Anonymousreply 11January 30, 2024 3:16 PM

See Death Becomes Her only works because Willis is not natural at camp. Look at the ladies, it’s all modulation and nuance. But Willis is at full blast. And it works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 30, 2024 3:22 PM

R11, Ewwwwww if you know Rusty, he ain't interested in any blokes bum hole!

by Anonymousreply 13January 30, 2024 6:09 PM

Trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 31, 2024 3:48 AM

Utter garbage. The trailer is cringe too.

by Anonymousreply 15January 31, 2024 10:03 PM

Didn't I already make a good version of this movie?

by Anonymousreply 16January 31, 2024 10:04 PM

Dracula is an interesting campy movie. Winona and Keanu don't know they are campy so they are low camp. Gary Oldman and Hopkins include camp on purpose, so they are high camp. I love all 4 performances.

by Anonymousreply 17January 31, 2024 10:50 PM

I'll watch it for Henry Cavill, Henry Golding, Alan Ritchson, Freddie Fox, and Hero Fiennes Tiffin. All sexy bitches.

by Anonymousreply 18February 1, 2024 1:06 AM

I love the shoes that Henry Golding is wearing in OP's pic.

Yes, all that gorgeous man flesh in that pic and I zeroed in on the shoes.

by Anonymousreply 19February 1, 2024 1:26 AM

Looks Faggy.

by Anonymousreply 20February 1, 2024 1:27 AM

You know Cavill’s on-set trailer was open to all gentlemen callers needing a cumdump.

by Anonymousreply 21February 1, 2024 1:29 AM

Bitch stole my act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 1, 2024 1:49 AM

I saw this tonight. It’s extremely slight. Guy Ritchie films now are the equivalent of late period Tim Burton or Woody Allen films - doing schtick more out if habit ghan put of having anything interesting to say. It’s also , like late period Burton or Allen, completely cartoonish, but not in a fun way.

by Anonymousreply 23April 14, 2024 4:17 AM

have you been drinking R23....hard to read your sentences!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 24April 14, 2024 4:19 AM

I was supposed to see it tonight at an early screening but had to skip it.

by Anonymousreply 25April 14, 2024 4:22 AM

[quote] have you been drinking [R23]....hard to read your sentences!!!!!!

Pot, thy name is kettle.

by Anonymousreply 26April 14, 2024 4:35 AM

Fascinating, r25

by Anonymousreply 27April 14, 2024 4:55 AM

R27 not fascinating. Just the truth. I couldn’t make it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 14, 2024 5:05 AM

Ironically this is the second Guy Ritchie/Henry Cavill film in which Cavill plays a former thief with a strange accent who is recruited by the government on a mission against Nazis and who must work alongside a large blond man played by an American doing a bad European accent.

It’s not as good as the first one. Man from UNCLE is a masterpiece compared to this.

Really shockingly forgettable film. It should have gone to Netflix. WOM will not be good. Between this and Argylle, Cavill may want to switch agents.

by Anonymousreply 29April 14, 2024 5:08 AM

This doesn't look bad. Henry Cavill looks great! It is a Guy Ritchie film, though. The only GR film that I really like is "Snatch."

by Anonymousreply 30April 14, 2024 6:04 AM

Is it fair to assume all Ritchie films are garbage when I could get only a few minutes into Lock, Stock etc? When that one guy started slapping the other with the jelly cock, I checked out.

by Anonymousreply 31April 14, 2024 6:31 AM

Bitch stole my act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 14, 2024 6:35 AM

Ritchie movies are for straight men. Most gay men don’t get them.

by Anonymousreply 33April 14, 2024 1:28 PM

Davida, given that you have called gay men disgusting on this forum, I don’t think you have the right to make that pronouncement.

by Anonymousreply 34April 14, 2024 1:31 PM

Henry how could you? IVF was it?

by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2024 11:23 AM

It’s at 82 on rotten tomatoes but only 17 reviews

I’m surprised, because it really was not an objectively good movie. The audience was bored. And I saw this in LA, where they like everything.

A lot of reviews point out that Alan Ritchson steals the movie, but there isn’t that much movie to steal.

The problem with this movie is that there are two movies spliced together. One is a war caper with the boys and one is a spy caper with Eiza Gonzalez, Til Schweiger and Babs Olusanmokun. The spy caper takes precedence. Eiza Gonzalez is the star of the movie, not Henry Cavill, and Eiza Gonzalez cannot carry a movie. It’s like watching Sean Young try to carry a movie, she’s just not a star.

If Ritchie had simply made a grindhouse film focused on the male actors, he probably would’ve had a hit. The men aren’t given enough to do. Cavill feels like a guest in his own movie.

At the end of the movie they have placards showing the characters in real life. Henry Cavill’s character and Eiza Gonzalez’s character got married in real life. NONE OF THAT IS HINTED AT in the movie. I don’t even remember if their characters had a moment alone together, or spoke to each other. That very important piece of information was delivered in a “Poochie died on the way back to his home planet” cutaway. The audience groaned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2024 7:28 PM

This is tracking terrible, they are expecting a six million opening. Alan Ritchson didn’t participate in any of the junkets or premiere (he’s filming but could have gotten away for one day.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 18, 2024 5:37 PM

Enormous bomb, less than 9 million. Doing half the opening weekend of Argylle. U.N.C.L.E. opened to 14 ten years ago and was considered a flop. Lionsgate is now left holding dead weight with his next film which has two of the same people from this mess.

Very likely Highlander (also Lionsgate) is recast, or reconceived as a television series if they decide to keep him in the role. He cannot open a movie as a lead.

Agency switch, character roles and indie martyrdom.

by Anonymousreply 38April 20, 2024 3:49 PM

R38 lmao. You’re ridiculous in every way. It’s embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 39April 20, 2024 4:01 PM

The featured review on IMDB is EXACTLY how I felt about this movie. How could the Rotten Tomatoes score be so high? They must be stacking it with patsies.

With an All Star Unutilized Cast

Saw this at an early access showing. It was not what I had hoped, but more or less what I expected. If you like movies based on Historical events, that seem to also show the connection between new film franchises, and old, this is a pretty good film for that.

You have Henry Cavill walking through the entire film, with zero sense of urgency. You have the poor man's Gal Gadot, who does nothing but act as eye candy and a distraction to both the on screen talent, and the audience. You have Alan Ritchson who more or less steals the entire film as the lunatic killing machine. Honestly everyone does a decent job but frankly you could have cast anyone in this movie and it would have turned out the same.

I like some things I have seen by Guy Ritchie, but this movie is a little less interesting because everything is so bland and safe. Visually, it's okay. It's not great. There were some good moments in the movie and some funny things that happen, but you can see where the moment lingers and the tension is not there at all. That's the thing. I did not feel one bit of tension for anyone at any time in this movie.

That's the real sad part about this film, as you don't care about anyone before, during or after things get rolling. There's no air of menace to any of the bad guys, there's no chemistry between any of the characters. You see some glimpses but it's one scripted scene after another and there really is no acting.

by Anonymousreply 40April 20, 2024 7:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!