Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Family (1976-80 TV Series) Appreciation Thread, Part 3

Continuing our discussion of the stars, storylines, and Sapphic sisters of the Lawrence family of Pasadena.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327April 15, 2024 9:20 PM

Part 1:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 29, 2024 12:21 AM

Part 2:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 29, 2024 12:22 AM

“What’s everybody talking about?”

by Anonymousreply 3January 29, 2024 12:52 AM

I love the show. One of my absolute favorites. It's just that, being a New Englander, they seemed so New England to me. Everything about them screamed Suffield, CT. Again though, I loved the show.

by Anonymousreply 4January 29, 2024 12:56 AM

Don't remember where I read this, R4, but Mike Nichols and Jay Presson Allen originally envisioned the show set in Philadelphia's Main Line.

But they also wanted to shoot exteriors at a real house year-round, and East Coast weather prevented that.

by Anonymousreply 5January 29, 2024 12:59 AM

And eight is enough to fill our hearts with love.

by Anonymousreply 6January 29, 2024 1:00 AM

The clothes were Northeast especially. Except for maybe Buddy and skateboard outfits. I mean it would be July in California and Kate was putting on a winter coat. It was like the way the Golden Girls dressed in Miami.

by Anonymousreply 7January 29, 2024 1:03 AM

Bless you, OP. You are doing the lord's work.

by Anonymousreply 8January 29, 2024 1:05 AM

I liked the set. The house, unlike say the Brady Bunch house, had shadows and, as has been mentioned before, grimy cabinets. It looked lived in.

by Anonymousreply 9January 29, 2024 1:41 AM

It was pretty clear that Nancy’s guesthouse was not actually in the backyard of that home.

by Anonymousreply 10January 29, 2024 1:47 AM

I drove past the house (in South Pasadena) last year. Made me so happy to see it relatively unchanged.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 29, 2024 1:57 AM

The landscaping is much better now than 50 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 12January 29, 2024 2:04 AM

According to Zillow, the house has doubled in value in the last 10 years, from $2.7 million in Feb 2014 to $5.4 million (!) today. And it last sold in 1998 for $1.2 million.

Four bedrooms, 5 bathrooms. So the producers really did go for realism: every bedroom in the real house has an en suite.

All those johns to scrub and we only saw Mrs. Hanley like four times in 86 episodes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 29, 2024 2:13 AM

My slipcovers!!!

by Anonymousreply 14January 29, 2024 2:34 AM

Is this a private conversation?

Buddy looks so adorably cute wearing those pajamas in your link, OP.

by Anonymousreply 15January 29, 2024 3:19 AM

R11 I plan to stop by at some point. Is it a quiet street or a busy road?

by Anonymousreply 16January 29, 2024 3:34 AM

“What’s everybody talking about?”

"Your dead brother, Little Timmy."

"Must be sweeps week!"

by Anonymousreply 17January 29, 2024 3:43 AM

The house was worth 65,000 or 90,000 in 1976-1980. I forget what they said.

Why did they have Willie’s wedding in the front yard? I thought that was weird.

by Anonymousreply 18January 29, 2024 4:05 AM

ME - SAW - DAW

by Anonymousreply 19January 29, 2024 4:27 AM

R20 ESS-TEE-EFF-YOO

by Anonymousreply 20January 29, 2024 4:30 AM

I was the youngest of three in my own family. Younger by 7 years and 10 years. I was an "after thought". Started watching the show "Family" when I was 10 in 1976 with my teenage sister. I didn't understand it all but I understand enough. For those of you DL folks who were watching that show, did it capture that moment in time well? Suburban upper middle class US? Or did it seem too "California", too liberal?. Was it dismissed right wing moral Anita Bryant type? Kudos to the musical geniuses behind the music. Haunting still.

by Anonymousreply 21January 29, 2024 4:40 AM

I brought this up in the other thread. Doug Lawrence says Willie is a minor in one episode.

Today I was watching another (later) episode — Annie in a convo with Willie mentions he’s 23. he show was only on from 1976-1980.

I never saw the show much when it originally aired because I went to college from 1976 to 1980 - and the show wasn’t rerun in the summer. I found that out reading an interview with Sada Thompson. The writer noted the show was not really promoted by ABC, or Spelling. He said there were no summer reruns, and Sada said something like, “Curious, isn’t it?”

by Anonymousreply 22January 29, 2024 4:44 AM

I also read that te show was going to be brought back sometime later, some years after it was cancelled, and after james Broderick died. Not just talk, it was actually going to come bak with most of the original cast. But then there was a writer’s strike that lasted a while, after which the network apparently lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 23January 29, 2024 4:47 AM

*back

by Anonymousreply 24January 29, 2024 4:48 AM

I know nothing about this old tv show, but that photo at op caught my eye. My mom would have been in shock at seeing all those pictures on the soundboard. A vase with flowers and water would be immediately removed. Not even sheet music and scores were allowed on the sound board. The piano was always in use in our home, and it was a musical instrument, not treated as a surface to stage family photos.

by Anonymousreply 25January 29, 2024 6:46 AM

Family was a hit in syndication!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 29, 2024 6:52 AM

Miss Sada Thompson was a bit bitchy in this interview before the final season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 29, 2024 6:54 AM

R124, on pt2. LMFAO! " now we know Sada Thompson and Ed Asner aren't the same person". Omg it's almost 5:00 in the morning and I'm cracking up. That comment will keep me chuckling today.

by Anonymousreply 28January 29, 2024 8:54 AM

Stop hitting yourself R20.

by Anonymousreply 29January 29, 2024 12:06 PM

I love endless threads about Family- keep them coming' ' but STOP THE INSANITY 😣 ( like the Lesbian with the shaved head in the 1990's said)

no more threads about Heartstopper

by Anonymousreply 30January 29, 2024 2:43 PM

R23 Yes, it was in 1988 - a reboot was in development. Everyone was on board, apparently (not sure about Meredith) but unfortunately the '88 writers' strike was bad timing and killed it.

Kate would have been a widow.

by Anonymousreply 31January 29, 2024 2:45 PM

R27- I like what she had to say in that interview and I did not find her at all bitchy - unlike a lot of the qweens a lot of the time here on the datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 32January 29, 2024 2:47 PM

R17 Did you write for MAD Magazine?

by Anonymousreply 33January 29, 2024 4:26 PM

I wonder if Kristy was already having symptoms of bipolar during the run of the show. Terrible Illness.

by Anonymousreply 34January 29, 2024 4:31 PM

R26 That's interesting. Family was syndicated in New York on channel 9 (WOR), which was sort of the "also ran" independent, non-network station in NYC next to channels 5 (WNEW) and 11 (WPIX) in those days.

I watched it every day after school, for a time. But I'm not sure it was on there for more than a year. Two at most.

by Anonymousreply 35January 29, 2024 4:35 PM

The thing about the show was that they needed more characters to keep it interesting. Five characters (plus Timmy II, who never got any lines because he was so young) was fine for the miniseries, but for an ongoing series it just was not enough. They added Annie, but as always it seemed contrived to bring her aboard just as it did in any 70s or 80s show when they brought aboard a new child character (Cousin Oliver Syndrome). Maybe they should have had another of Kate's or Doug's siblings move to Pasadena with their families, or done more with neighbors or something.

It was a very well written show for its time. It was the classier option among most of the other family-centered shows of the 70s. It had much better actors than "Little House" (which was much more sentimental) or "Eight is Enough" (which was much cheesier), and it was not as depressing or as cornball as "The Waltons" could be. And even though Kate Lawrence gets a lot of flack as a character on DL, she was unlike anything that had yet been seen in an ongoing family show of that kind--she was basically warm and meant well, but she could be judgmental sometimes and passive-aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 36January 29, 2024 4:45 PM

The mother had to be the coldest bitch this side of the arctic. ...she had zero warmth...no wonder the children had issues

by Anonymousreply 37January 29, 2024 5:04 PM

Quinn Cummings has pretty much disavowed any and all conversations about her time as a child actor. I think she knows Annie was a dud.

by Anonymousreply 38January 29, 2024 5:34 PM

Here’s Kate doing her slow, slow walk back Into the house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 29, 2024 5:50 PM

I never thought Kate was all that icy. She was considerably warmer than Beth Jarrett. I mean, so's an iceberg, but still.....

by Anonymousreply 40January 29, 2024 5:55 PM

Kate was not icy. She was warm and funny. Maybe there was an icy veneer, but she cared about Doug and the kids, for sure. And she had that dry sense of irony and humor. A great character.

by Anonymousreply 41January 29, 2024 8:12 PM

Kate could be very warm, affectionate, emotional. She had a sarcastic side and she could be tough in a good way - like many moms were back then which is why most kids of that era didn't grow up to be spoiled brats.

by Anonymousreply 42January 29, 2024 11:30 PM

R36 The show was called Family, and the family had five people in it. There were in-laws, grandparents, friends, exes, etc. I didn't have a problem with it.

by Anonymousreply 43January 29, 2024 11:34 PM

[quote]most kids of that era didn't grow up to be spoiled brats.

I tried my best, but every family has at least one Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 44January 29, 2024 11:35 PM

I love the episode when a woman shows up claiming she was given up for adoption by Kate. EEK. It was her friend who used Kate's name.

by Anonymousreply 45January 29, 2024 11:36 PM

R45 Played by Tovah Feldshuh.

How many actors played Doug's father? There were at least 4. Charles Lane, John Beal, David Wayne and Henry Fonda.

by Anonymousreply 46January 29, 2024 11:38 PM

Douglas' mother was a tramp. Any or all of those men could have fathered her child, and this was long before DNA tests could identify which of her tricks was the real Baby Daddy.

by Anonymousreply 47January 29, 2024 11:44 PM

Oh oh oh....and then there was the alcoholic relative. Doug's sister Emily. That was an episode ahead of its time.

by Anonymousreply 48January 29, 2024 11:48 PM

Annie was slappable

by Anonymousreply 49January 29, 2024 11:48 PM

Some of you are fucked

Kate had a thin veneer of warmth or caring on the outside because underneath that thin vail was thick as fuck ice bitch mother

by Anonymousreply 50January 29, 2024 11:52 PM

I do recall more than one episode where the A story was about Buddy or Willie and the B story focused on Kate's having to go to the doctor because she was struggling with piles.

by Anonymousreply 51January 30, 2024 5:01 AM

Did Kate suck cock? Who did she fuck? Willie of buddy

by Anonymousreply 52January 30, 2024 6:32 AM

R48, yes! The fabulous Penny Fuller played the boozy sister Emily. I talked to her once about it and she said they filmed it all out of order, and her climatic scene with Broderick on the school playground was the first thing they shot. She said it was a huge challenge to keep straight where she was in her story arc.

by Anonymousreply 53January 30, 2024 7:36 AM

Was the episode with the alcoholic sister really ahead of its time? I don’t know, I’m just curious. I know there had already been Sarah T - Portrait of a Teenage Alcoholic, as a TV movie. So if TV had already gotten to teenage alcoholics...

by Anonymousreply 54January 30, 2024 12:43 PM

R54 Emily was the sister of the family patriarch Doug Lawrence - they were both clearly adults so Emily was not a teen alcoholic....?

by Anonymousreply 55January 30, 2024 2:03 PM

More shit happened in Lezzie Tush's bedroom than anywhere else in the house. Everyone spent more time in there than in any other part of the house ever, even more than in Nancy's whore bed.

by Anonymousreply 56January 31, 2024 12:32 AM

Lol, R56 to your “Lezzie Tush.” My middle school friends and I used to call Buddy “Scuzzy Lush.”

by Anonymousreply 57January 31, 2024 12:55 AM

R57=Audrey Pfeiffer

by Anonymousreply 58January 31, 2024 12:57 AM

In the early seasons, who did Buddy have posters of? Was it Donny Osmond? I can’t remember.

by Anonymousreply 59January 31, 2024 12:57 AM

R59, yes! And Kate once called him “Ronny Osmond,” much to Buddy’s chagrin.

by Anonymousreply 60January 31, 2024 1:01 AM

[quote] That's interesting. Family was syndicated in New York on channel 9 (WOR), which was sort of the "also ran" independent, non-network station in NYC next to channels 5 (WNEW) and 11 (WPIX) in those days.

When I was at NYU in the early '90s, I discovered one of those channels (I can't remember which) was showing reruns of Family at something like 2am. I used to tape them and watch them with my Freshman roommate. He moved dorms and I was by myself for the summer, then I got a new roommate for the Sophomore year. We took to each other right away and spent the whole night talking. I mentioned that Family was on and I wanted to tape it, but he said he wanted to watch it, so we climbed into my single bed and watched the episode. During the first commercial break, we started making out. But as soon as the commercial break ended, we both knew our priorities and broke the kiss to resume watching. I thought I'd found my prince. (He turned out to be a major asshole and I ended up beating him up with my electronic drum kit after one of our epic fights and then I got a job as an RA in another dorm, so I moved out.) But we'll always have Family.

by Anonymousreply 61January 31, 2024 1:14 AM

How romantic, R61!

by Anonymousreply 62January 31, 2024 1:20 AM

So what killed the show? It was good but did people just not watch? That’s a relatively short run back then. Not even 100 episodes.

Today, it’d be considered a full run but still…

by Anonymousreply 63January 31, 2024 1:31 AM

Quinn Cummings is stupid

by Anonymousreply 64January 31, 2024 1:33 AM

[quote] I talked to her once about it and she said they filmed it all out of order, and her climatic scene with Broderick

They had a scene about the weather?

by Anonymousreply 65January 31, 2024 1:39 AM

[quote] In the early seasons, who did Buddy have posters of?

Billie Jean King and Nancy Kulp.

by Anonymousreply 66January 31, 2024 1:56 AM

[quote]Billie Jean King and Nancy Kulp.

Scissoring.

by Anonymousreply 67January 31, 2024 2:13 AM

R55 Sorry if my point wasn’t clear. You know when TV has explored teen alcoholism they have already explored adult alcoholism (which they had). So I don’t think the episode with Penny Fuller was ahead of its time.

by Anonymousreply 68January 31, 2024 2:34 AM

One of the things I don’t understand was why doctors were shown making house calls to the Lawrences. As far as I know, doctors stopped making house calls long before the ‘70s. I was a kid in the ‘60s and no doctors made house calls where I came from.

by Anonymousreply 69January 31, 2024 2:37 AM

[quote] I was a kid in the ‘60s and no doctors made house calls where I came from.

The projects?

by Anonymousreply 70January 31, 2024 2:59 AM

R70=Nancy Lawrence Maitland

by Anonymousreply 71January 31, 2024 3:03 AM

[quote] One of the things I don’t understand was why doctors were shown making house calls to the Lawrences. As far as I know, doctors stopped making house calls long before the ‘70s. I was a kid in the ‘60s and no doctors made house calls where I came from.

Remember, the Lawrences were pretty rich.

by Anonymousreply 72January 31, 2024 3:05 AM

Not really.

by Anonymousreply 73January 31, 2024 3:07 AM

Just read that by 1980 only 1% of doctors made house calls. (Probably in the country.)

by Anonymousreply 74January 31, 2024 3:10 AM

R39 Love the art direction, set, creative decisions, lighting. Add the opening theme, the instrumentation, the type face. It is just perfection.

by Anonymousreply 75January 31, 2024 3:13 AM

I watched it when it was first on. I thought it was kind of strange the way two unemployed adult children still lived at home and one of them even had her own house. When I watch it now I see how the storylines are all predictable cliches.

Oh, and the Ford Mavericks! They always seemed so out of place. You’d think Doug would at least drive a Town Car.

by Anonymousreply 76January 31, 2024 3:20 AM

[quote]Penny Fuller played the boozy sister Emily. I talked to her once about it and she said they filmed it all out of order, and her climatic scene with Broderick on the school playground was the first thing they shot. She said it was a huge challenge to keep straight where she was in her story arc.

It's a poor workman who blames the process. She just gave a shitty performance. Totally OTT.

But the robin's-egg-blue cashmere dress she wears in one scene was pretty fab.

by Anonymousreply 77January 31, 2024 3:38 AM

R63 the show never made it above 30 for ratings by season, but it was a prestige drama that won Emmys for Sada, Gary and Kristy (the only one of the three that won twice), and it was probably fairly cheap to produce, so ABC stood by it. And Kristy was a breakout star from the show, so it did have a following. Judging from that article that was posted above, from the 1979-1980 season, ABC decided it was expendable and shortened the season, and then decided to pull the plug. It ranked 52 for the 1978-1979 season, which kind of shocked me the ratings dipped that low. Kristy was huge at this time from the show, and had a budding film career, so ABC probably figured she might leave the show anyway, and this, coupled with dwindling ratings, was all they needed to end it.

by Anonymousreply 78January 31, 2024 3:40 AM

What R78 said. Someone linked to this in one of the earlier threads. ABC always treated it like the redheaded stepchild and eventually gave up on it, moving it around a lot in its last year or so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79January 31, 2024 3:45 AM

R69- I grew up just north of NYC and our pediatrician made house calls to us until about 1971.

by Anonymousreply 80January 31, 2024 3:48 AM

[quote]So what killed the show? It was good but did people just not watch? That’s a relatively short run back then. Not even 100 episodes.

The ratings were decent but ABC wanted them to be higher. To hear various producers tell it, ABC considered it a "women's show" and "soft," and didn't spend much time promoting it. They never aired it in summer reruns, when kids on summer vacation could have discovered it. It was pre-empted a lot—for specials and once a month for 20/20.

It was actually doing well in 1978-79. The season premiere ranked #21, it rarely dropped out of the 30s, and as late as March it ranked #28 for the week. But ABC moved it to Fridays in the spring, and the ratings tanked, dragging down the season average.

It gave the network an excuse to end it with 13 episodes at midseason.

by Anonymousreply 81January 31, 2024 3:58 AM

[quote] I watched it when it was first on. I thought it was kind of strange the way two unemployed adult children still lived at home and one of them even had her own house.

You sound like one of the Lawrence’s busybody neighbors from Pasadena. Willie dropped out of high school and was trying to be a writer. He wasn’t an adult until a few season in, and he had jobs. Nancy was going to law school, and since they had a guest house anyway, why wouldn’t someone in the family live in it?

by Anonymousreply 82January 31, 2024 4:35 AM

Willie was sixteen the first season.

by Anonymousreply 83January 31, 2024 4:37 AM

R72- They were not rich. They were upper middle class.

by Anonymousreply 84January 31, 2024 4:44 AM

Someone on the other thread was surprised Kate (until she went back to college and got a job as a schoolteacher) was a housewife, and said she may have been the last housewife on TV. Apparently forgetting Cindy Walsh on Beverly Hills 90210.

by Anonymousreply 85January 31, 2024 4:49 AM

Peg Bundy, Marge Simpson, Lois Griffin

by Anonymousreply 86January 31, 2024 5:07 AM

All Alice did at the diner was clown around and sing scat. She might as well have been a fucking housewife.

by Anonymousreply 87January 31, 2024 5:11 AM

The bigger problem was they were running out of reasonable plot lines . Once they brought in Quinn Cummings the show was definitely over . She was freaking annoying. We used to think she killed her parents or they killed themselves just to get away from her

by Anonymousreply 88January 31, 2024 5:17 AM

R88- Buddy was no longer a kid so they had to find another KID to replace her hence Annie.

by Anonymousreply 89January 31, 2024 5:21 AM

And Annie was the only one on the show with an Oscar nomination so suck on that...

by Anonymousreply 90January 31, 2024 5:46 AM

All the women were gay

by Anonymousreply 91January 31, 2024 5:56 AM

Quinn later said that after the ratings really started to nosedive, Sada stormed into her trailer and told her, "You were hired to make cute and get us into the top 10. If you don't start earning your paycheck, you'll be the fucking goodbye girl ... AND NEVER WORK IN THIS TOWN AGAIN!"

by Anonymousreply 92January 31, 2024 6:02 AM

Yikes at R92 if true.

by Anonymousreply 93January 31, 2024 2:08 PM

R92 clearly isn't true.

by Anonymousreply 94January 31, 2024 2:16 PM

Adding young kids to a show late in its run almost never works.

by Anonymousreply 95January 31, 2024 2:24 PM

Note: Quinn Cummings is a funny writer and blogger - I followed her on Twitter before I scurried away once Musk took over. She has a few funny books.

Never really talks about her time as a child actress, though. Though she did write an article some years back about gross predator types that prey on young performers. (I think she remained safe as her mother was keeping an eye on her, but many others were not so lucky).

Wait: I found the article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96January 31, 2024 3:59 PM

PS: I suspect the show where Quinn appeared and the director told her mother never to leave her alone with the star was "Baretta."

by Anonymousreply 97January 31, 2024 4:03 PM

People here keep making things up about Sada Thompson.

by Anonymousreply 98January 31, 2024 4:20 PM

Back then people had normal-size refrigerators.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99January 31, 2024 4:28 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 31, 2024 4:31 PM

And look at this, in the "Capote vs. the Swans" review, none other than "Family" gets a shout out and is apparently even featured in a scene in the FX show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 31, 2024 4:34 PM

The main theme was composed by John Rubinstein (son of pianist Arthur Rubinstein) who played Jeff Maitland. He also composed some other themes, and was credited as composer for the original miniseries. Otherwise for the first few seasons the music was credited to Pete Rugulo (famous big band arranger, later a film/TV composer). Then in later seasons, someone else.

by Anonymousreply 102January 31, 2024 4:36 PM

R102 RUGOLO.

John Rubinstein played the title role in the original Broadway production of "Pippin."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 31, 2024 4:40 PM

John Rubenstein was kinda hot.

by Anonymousreply 104January 31, 2024 5:03 PM

R88 that's MEAN!!!

But funny.

Annie WAS a bit precious.

She was like a 40 year old comedienne trapping in a 10 year old body. She used zingers to hide hr pain; what was little (orphaned) Annie like before?

by Anonymousreply 105January 31, 2024 6:16 PM

Quinn used to post regularly on Twitter; did she get off it after Elon?

by Anonymousreply 106January 31, 2024 6:18 PM

By the late 1970s, America demanded tits, ass and lots of jiggle.

No way would a show like Family beat tasteful tv such as Playboys Pajama Skating Party. By that time everything was so sexualized that a show with substance couldn't make it anymore

by Anonymousreply 107January 31, 2024 6:21 PM

I submitted an idea for a story for the show, but they rejected it. And recommended that I go to a shrink.

by Anonymousreply 108January 31, 2024 6:23 PM

I saw an old Dragnet where John Rubinstein played a nerdy teenager. Jan-Michael Vincent was also in the episode as another teen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109January 31, 2024 6:25 PM

I'm guessing JMV's teen was not 'nerdy.'

God, that man was beautiful. Danger Island helped me realize I was gay.

by Anonymousreply 110January 31, 2024 7:56 PM

R110- He looked GOOD naked too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111January 31, 2024 8:20 PM

That nasty review at r101 is impressively cunty.

by Anonymousreply 112January 31, 2024 8:36 PM

R108 tell us the idea!

Last night on Feud they had Truman Capote watching Family, and commenting on how well written it was!

by Anonymousreply 113February 1, 2024 7:57 PM

Goodness!

Our Lady of Pasadena Sada Thompson, along with Blair Brown (!) and Rue McClanahan (!!) in a TV broadcast of a production of The Skin of Our Teeth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114February 1, 2024 8:07 PM

R110 He played a kid who had been on a date (to see Doctor Zhivago!) and had had acid thrown on him by another kid. As a result, JMV was shirtless in the first part of the ep. Rubinstein played the friend of the perp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115February 1, 2024 8:23 PM

More Jan-Michael

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116February 1, 2024 8:25 PM

Sada Thompson and James Broderick co-starred in a famous flop, on Broadway, Johnny No-Trump, in 1967. It ran for one performance. It wasn’t panned, many critics loved a lot about the play, but Pat Hingle (the other star) thought the producers panicked. "We did capacity business in previews... If you go back and check, you’ll discover that Johnny No-Trump got much better reviews than The Price. But this time we had Arthur Miller's name. Nobody panicked, and The Price ran for more than a year. When I think back on the whole Johnny No-Trump experience, it’s one of the saddest things that ever happened to a play.”

Bernadette Peters was in it, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117February 2, 2024 3:59 AM

Sada and Jim Broderick also toured together in On Golden Pond in the summer of '81.

Cancer got Broderick quickly – he died in November 1982.

by Anonymousreply 118February 2, 2024 4:07 AM

R117 its because MEE-SAW-DAW wouldn’t stop reciting her lines from Our Town.

by Anonymousreply 119February 2, 2024 4:08 AM

Sada’s Associated Press obit has her 81 at her death, her birth year as 1929. Wikipedia has her as 83 and her birth year as 1927.

by Anonymousreply 120February 2, 2024 5:33 AM

r120, you have to remember that Sada Thompson would claim to be any age that would get her the best roles.

She was basically the Catherine Zeta-Jones of her day (only chronically constipated).

by Anonymousreply 121February 2, 2024 5:42 AM

I have no idea what Catherine Zeta-Jones does.

by Anonymousreply 122February 2, 2024 5:46 AM

Remember when the cute Cocoon guy tried to sabotage Kate's teaching career?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123February 2, 2024 7:23 PM

He was only around 21 (playing a high school student) but looked about 27.

by Anonymousreply 124February 2, 2024 7:26 PM

Steve Guttenberg should have left the classroom alone and gone to the mens' room to stroke one out.

by Anonymousreply 125February 3, 2024 12:25 AM

I appreciated it when the show was cancelled

by Anonymousreply 126February 3, 2024 12:32 AM

R126 = Maggie Calder, the cunt

by Anonymousreply 127February 3, 2024 1:29 AM

R125 What makes you think he didn't?

by Anonymousreply 128February 3, 2024 2:37 AM

[quote]Quinn used to post regularly on Twitter; did she get off it after Elon?

She went to one of the alternatives, Post. I didn't follow her there.

She's very bright and Gen X sarcastic. Admits she pretty much hates people but she can find the gay man in a roomful of strangers in under five minutes. And, yes, she only brings up her acting career if it's relevant to a discussion.

by Anonymousreply 129February 3, 2024 3:12 AM

She has.a Patreon and yes, I subscribe. She's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 130February 3, 2024 3:32 AM

Does she still lisp?

by Anonymousreply 131February 3, 2024 4:09 AM

um, no. She's like 50something now.

by Anonymousreply 132February 3, 2024 4:13 AM

The scene where Willie and his dad discuss Willie's friend being gay, and then both Willie and Doug talk about having a crush on a guy, is really remarkable, even today, for its sensitivity.

by Anonymousreply 133February 3, 2024 4:14 AM

R133, that was a great scene. gave me 'hope' that my feelings would pass, which had pros and cons.

Given that I could have married a woman who would have divorced me, taken my kids and half my money makes me realize I dodged a bullet.

by Anonymousreply 134February 3, 2024 11:41 PM

I actually didn't like the scene, which seemed to equate being gay with having a straight crush as an adolescent, two totally different things.

by Anonymousreply 135February 3, 2024 11:56 PM

Imagine had they done that scene with Nancy and Buddy instead.

Oh the irony!

by Anonymousreply 136February 4, 2024 12:05 AM

The show hardly ever featured a working class character, or let's say a regular middle class or lower middle class, non-professional person, and when it did, they were invariably presented in a less than flattering light. The various maids, for examples, who Kate was usually at odds with, or a plumber who charged too much, a fat mechanic, etc.

by Anonymousreply 137February 4, 2024 3:47 AM

Tradespeople should know their place. As should the help.

by Anonymousreply 138February 4, 2024 3:56 AM

Just saw the episode where Rachel Roberts played Kate's actress friend who sees Buddy in a high school production of Shaw’s Saint Joan (!) and wants to take her away to appear in a play with her. Shades of (or copied directly from) The Turning Point. The two old friends fight over Buddy while each realizes she’s jealous of what the other one has.

I also watched the episode where Louise Latham (“Marnie”) inexplicably replaced Patricia Morrill as Kate’s friend, Elaine Hogan. Elaine has become a shoplifter, though the g-dropping, make-yourself-at-home maid admonishes Kate that Mrs. Hogan is a better friend than the phony with whom Kate has replaced her (maid is right).

by Anonymousreply 139February 4, 2024 4:12 PM

R137- It's 1977. It's not the early 21st century where a show must meet strict standards for diversity and inclusion.

by Anonymousreply 140February 4, 2024 10:42 PM

Just watched the episode of “Mary Tyler Moore” when Mary dates the younger guy. When Mary and Rhoda are at the funky boutique, the salesgirl is played by Elayne Heilveil, pre-Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 141February 5, 2024 4:18 PM

The first Nancy was such a bore. Dullsville. Whoever recast her knew what they were doing.

by Anonymousreply 142February 5, 2024 4:21 PM

It was anti-semitism, I tell ya. I was JUST as good as that shiksa!

by Anonymousreply 143February 5, 2024 4:52 PM

Word on the street R141 is that Meredith Baxter-Lesbian unsuccessfully tried to get the MTM producers to re-shoot that scene with Baxter-Lesbian playing the salesgirl.

by Anonymousreply 144February 5, 2024 5:20 PM

I like the episode when Nancy lets some chick she barely knows use her apartment as a fuck nest with her married beau.

by Anonymousreply 145February 5, 2024 7:28 PM

Nancy was a very confused person. She never knew what she wanted, what her values were, who she was in love with, how she felt about anything. Buddy was more emotionally mature than Nancy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146February 6, 2024 1:41 AM

How I used to hate Quinn Cummings when I was a kid. She was the Robbie Rist of TV dramas. And she was so obnoxious on the talk show circuit too.

by Anonymousreply 147February 6, 2024 1:50 AM

I like the episode when Nancy lets Kate use her apartment as a fuck nest with her married plumber.

by Anonymousreply 148February 6, 2024 1:51 AM

R140 I think you’re missing the point. I wasn’t saying the show should have been forced to be inclusive in some arbitrary way to meet some kind of standard. I was remarking on how biased the writers seemed to be against people who weren’t as well off as the Lawrences. They were usually depicted as lazy and stupid. Besides, not everyone in Pasadena is upper middle class, though you would think so from the show.

by Anonymousreply 149February 6, 2024 2:17 AM

Kate was a study farmgirl passing herself off as a bougie queen.

by Anonymousreply 150February 7, 2024 4:16 PM

*sturdy

by Anonymousreply 151February 7, 2024 4:16 PM

There's a new book by Ed Zwick out where he writes about his career. He and Marshall Herskovitz got their start in TV, including a stint on - yes- FAMILY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152February 7, 2024 7:58 PM

Yes, Zwick worked on the latter half of the seasons.

by Anonymousreply 153February 7, 2024 8:07 PM

Stupid bitch

by Anonymousreply 154February 7, 2024 8:09 PM

I actually found Family quite realistic at times and willing to push the envelope, though the show was more subtle about it and not raw and in your face like say a Hill Street Blues. I distinctly remember an episode, where Kate was going into her bedroom from her ensuite bathroom as Doug was passing her going in to the bathroom and she turned to him and said, "I'd wait a bit before going in there if I were you."

by Anonymousreply 155February 7, 2024 8:15 PM

[quote] Stupid bitch

Yes, yes you are, R154.

Now, wash your hands and set the table. Or go eat at Maggie Calder's hovel.

by Anonymousreply 156February 7, 2024 8:25 PM

Been watching the show a lot lately. I don't think any wholesome TV mom and dad ever drank as many cocktails as Kate and Doug.

by Anonymousreply 157February 7, 2024 8:30 PM

Willie is a dumb name for anyone over 12.

by Anonymousreply 158February 7, 2024 8:31 PM

It matched his fucking fat FACE, R158.

Fucking fat facer.

by Anonymousreply 159February 7, 2024 8:42 PM

A girl named Buddy

by Anonymousreply 160February 7, 2024 8:57 PM

Beats a son named Beaver.

by Anonymousreply 161February 7, 2024 9:08 PM

Wasn’t Willie short for William? I’ve seen every episode in syndication a long time ago but I don’t remember.

by Anonymousreply 162February 7, 2024 9:18 PM

It’s a show for losers

by Anonymousreply 163February 7, 2024 9:36 PM

R155 thats surprising to read, but I bet when you see it, it wouldn't even really register. They were so naturalistic, and that's something an intimate, years long married couple might say.

I love how this now obscure show has thousands of posts on DL over the years.

by Anonymousreply 164February 8, 2024 12:20 AM

"I don't know what you've got but I'm carrying a bagful of heartache and dirt. "

Doug to Kate at Timmy's grave site. She was angry because she thought Doug was forgetting about Timmy. She had been cold to him leading up to the gruesome anniversary. Then he pulled out his little bag of dirt from Timmy's grave that he had been carrying for years.

by Anonymousreply 165February 8, 2024 2:32 AM

Here's something for you to wear on Saturday. It's called a dress.

by Anonymousreply 166February 8, 2024 2:44 AM

R162 Yes, but I don’t like the nickname, Willie.

by Anonymousreply 167February 8, 2024 2:47 AM

Nancy, Timmy, Willie and Buddy.

by Anonymousreply 168February 8, 2024 2:49 AM

[quote] Yes, but I don’t like the nickname, Willie

Well someone did, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 169February 8, 2024 4:09 AM

Okay I apologize for making a negative comment about the name Willie. I may change my name to Willie. Willie is a very cool name.

by Anonymousreply 170February 8, 2024 2:35 PM

[quote] Fucking fat facer.

Is that you, Agnes Carpenter?

by Anonymousreply 171February 8, 2024 2:56 PM

Just realized something that’s probably not coincidence: the “Family” reference by Capote in the second season of “Feud,” where he watches the show and speaks of the brilliance of the writing. “Family” was created by Jay Presson Allen, who also wrote the play “Tru,” which won a Tony for Robert Morse.

by Anonymousreply 172February 8, 2024 7:57 PM

An ad for Johnny No-Trump , that I mentioned above. You could see a preview of a Broadway show for $2 to $5. That's equivalent to $18.64 to $46.60 today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173February 9, 2024 1:08 AM

Wait......Sada and James worked together before?

by Anonymousreply 174February 9, 2024 3:08 AM

Yes, Sada and James played parents in a Broadway play called Johnny No-Trump, which opened and closed on a single night in 1967.

After Family, they toured together in On Golden Pond in the summer of '81. James died slightly more than a year later.

by Anonymousreply 175February 9, 2024 3:11 AM

This may be Closer, but nicely in depth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176February 9, 2024 3:15 AM

From that article:

In the 1970s, television made a pretty strong shift towards more realism, capturing human beings rather than caricatures when it came to sitcoms (think All in the Family, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, MASH) and dramas that were more rooted in reality rather than just empty-headed action.

There were a lot of dramas rooted in reality before the 70s. A lot of 60s shows like Mr. Novak, Ben Casey, Route 66. In the 50s, all those live and filmed anthology series.

by Anonymousreply 177February 9, 2024 3:22 AM

None of the articles about James Broderick mention that he was in the movie Alice's Restaurant. This article has a photo from it but doesn't identify it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178February 9, 2024 3:34 AM

R56 Total whore bed.

by Anonymousreply 179February 9, 2024 3:35 AM

R69 I think in some instances the doctor is such a close family friend that he/she pops by on the way home from work.

by Anonymousreply 180February 9, 2024 3:39 AM

It's believable that the Lawrences might have had a house call or two - Dpug was a lawyer and he probably did the same for some of his friends/neighbors/clients.

by Anonymousreply 181February 9, 2024 3:50 AM

They had at least two doctors who made house calls, one was a man, one was a woman. But at least once Kate went to a doctor's office (breast cancer scare).

Btw I think Sada Thompson, who was a heavy smoker, died of lung cancer.

by Anonymousreply 182February 9, 2024 4:13 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183February 9, 2024 4:14 AM

I was at the WGA Awards one year; Ed and Marshall got an award. I THINK I recall this; one or both of them wrote a scene in which Buddy tells Kate and Ooug to more or less fuck off and a note on the script came back that read simply "N.O.B."

Before they gave away what that stood for, I knew -- Not. Our. Buddy.

by Anonymousreply 184February 19, 2024 4:15 AM

Was "Empty Nest" the show Kristy couldn't stick with due to mental problems?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185February 19, 2024 5:01 AM

R184 Did they talk about that in their speech?

by Anonymousreply 186February 19, 2024 12:43 PM

Ooug.

by Anonymousreply 187February 19, 2024 2:14 PM

R186, no, I had wandered back to the press room; that's where I heard it.

by Anonymousreply 188February 19, 2024 5:56 PM

On a site called "The Locher Room" - whaaaaat?

Special Announcement: 'Family' Cast Reunion Live! 🌟

We're thrilled to invite you to a unique reunion with 'Family' cast members, Emmy Award-winner Gary Frank and award-winning actor John Rubinstein, in The Locher Room. Dive into nostalgia as we reminisce about the beloved series that aired on ABC-TV from March 1976 through June 1980.

📅 Join us on Wednesday, March 13th at 3 p.m. EST / 12 p.m. PST for an unforgettable journey back to the heartwarming moments of 'Family'. This is your chance to hear behind-the-scenes stories and celebrate the legacy of the show with Gary Frank and John Rubinstein.

Don't miss out on this rare opportunity to reconnect with 'Family'. Mark your calendars and be part of the magic! 📺✨

by Anonymousreply 189March 6, 2024 1:18 PM

R189 beat me to it, but here’s the link. I haven’t yet watched.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190March 13, 2024 11:50 PM

Would Mrs. Kate Lawrence of Pasadena, California, and Mrs. Beth Jarrett of Lake Forest, Illinois, have been friends?

I suspect Beth would not approve of Buddy and Kate would think Beth "put on airs."

by Anonymousreply 191March 14, 2024 12:05 AM

Beth would certainly not approve of Nancy, the slut

by Anonymousreply 192March 14, 2024 12:07 AM

R191, we both know what its like to grieve a child and not particularly care for the surviving children...

by Anonymousreply 193March 14, 2024 12:08 AM

Buck would never have become a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 194March 14, 2024 12:20 AM

R185: Watching Empty Next would give people mental problems, just imagine being on the show.

by Anonymousreply 195March 14, 2024 12:54 AM

[quote]R37 The mother had to be the coldest bitch this side of the arctic. ...she had zero warmth.

Are there any Hollywood people here who worked on Charlie’s Angels the ill fated week Sada Thompson tried to fill the departing Shelley Hack’s shoes, as Angel Laraine?

What went wrong? Aaron Spelling loved her! And I know Sada was thrilled to immediately pick up another series.

by Anonymousreply 196March 14, 2024 1:16 AM

Someone on the Locher Room chat thingy said the show is coming back to Tubi at the end of the month

by Anonymousreply 197March 14, 2024 11:15 PM

The opening song alone moves me. It captures the essence of the show so well.

by Anonymousreply 198March 15, 2024 4:28 AM

I think the people calling the mother cold or a cold bitch haven’t watched the show a whole lot. I actually used to think that based on seeing scenes here and there. If anything, she’s too caring and sensitive. She puts up a front.

by Anonymousreply 199March 15, 2024 4:58 AM

I recently re-watched the two-parter where Willy marries the dying girl. (Already mentioned this the first time I watched it but why did they get married in the front yard of the house? Who does that? The Lawrences had a back yard.) Anyway poor G. Frank was really in over his head acting-wise. The scene where he goes to the beach and cries and emotes was embarrassing. I don’t think he was that kind of actor. I was actually surprised they put it on the air without re-taking it.

by Anonymousreply 200March 16, 2024 1:08 PM

This full episode was just posted on youtube

Family- Home Movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201March 16, 2024 1:22 PM

Only the first 2 seasons were ever released on dvd.

by Anonymousreply 202March 16, 2024 1:41 PM

R201 It says the episode is Home Movie but then the episode Rites Of Friendship comes on.

by Anonymousreply 203March 16, 2024 1:46 PM

R203- The episode has been mislabeled but how could it be more appropriate for the datalounge. I didn't know it was the GAY episode when I posted it.

by Anonymousreply 204March 16, 2024 1:49 PM

R204 Good quality! (Even if it’s cropped for wide screen.) Watching it on my TV right now. This is probably the 1st really good quality print I’ve seen of a Family episode since in originally aired.

Co-written by actress-writer Bethel Leslie.

by Anonymousreply 205March 16, 2024 2:00 PM

Season Hubley (who played Selena McGee)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206March 16, 2024 4:20 PM

Season...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207March 16, 2024 4:23 PM

R207 - What a dumb name

by Anonymousreply 208March 16, 2024 4:34 PM

Her real name was the less dumb but more dull Susan Hubley.

by Anonymousreply 209March 16, 2024 4:38 PM

Very ‘70s name.

by Anonymousreply 210March 16, 2024 4:39 PM

Every time I see James Broderick I wonder who Matthew Broderick's real father is. There is no resemblance physically, or in voice or mannerisms. I have always watched for a glimmer, somewhere, of a similarity between them.

by Anonymousreply 211March 16, 2024 4:57 PM

R211- James Broderick was a hetero while his son Matthew was/is a HOMO.

by Anonymousreply 212March 16, 2024 6:18 PM

Matthew doesn’t look like his mother, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213March 16, 2024 11:51 PM

R211 Same here.

Kind of like Lucie Arnaz looking nothing like Lucille Ball (and really nothing like Desi Arnaz, either).

by Anonymousreply 214March 17, 2024 3:58 AM

I adored this show. Kate reminded me of my best friends' mom, who unlike mine, DIDN'T drink and sleep for days and who's father WASN'T a rage-a-holic. I so envied their stability. It was like wearing a comfy sweater, have a nice hot cup of tea and relaxing after taking a valium.

by Anonymousreply 215March 17, 2024 4:18 AM

Mid-1970s to early 1980s. Had to watch the show ‘live’. Had to be home that night. Couldn’t miss anything or you’re lost. Couldn’t record it, or rewind it. (Unless you had one of those new Betamaxes.) And it was only on once a week.

by Anonymousreply 216March 17, 2024 4:50 PM

R205, thanks for the Bethel Leslie shoutout. I didn’t know she’d written for Family. She should be DL royalty for her performances as Maggie Powers on The Doctors.

by Anonymousreply 217March 17, 2024 6:26 PM

R217 You’re welcome. I really don’t know much about her, just that her name seemed familiar so I looked her up.

by Anonymousreply 218March 17, 2024 6:33 PM

A bunch of bitches!

by Anonymousreply 219March 17, 2024 6:39 PM

The show is back on Tubi, bitches!

You'd better pay me some attention.

by Anonymousreply 220April 7, 2024 12:57 AM

R220- The picture/video quality is so good on Tubi. I watched a couple of episodes and there were commercial interruptions- which I don't like but the most two recent episodes there were no commercial interruptions - curious.

by Anonymousreply 221April 7, 2024 2:37 PM

I think I've watched most of the first three seasons, so now it's time to wade into season 4 with that little whippersnapper Annie.

by Anonymousreply 222April 7, 2024 2:48 PM

I have to thank DL for reminding me this show exists and putting the suggestion in my mind to take a look at it.

I had not seen it since it aired (and not a lot, then). Like all TV shows it has annoying things, but it's a very absorbing show and somehow it's a feel-good show (for me, anyway) - which is funny because it's all about people not feeling all that good.

by Anonymousreply 223April 7, 2024 6:59 PM

There was one where for Halloween Buddy dressed as Sally Bowles and Willy dressed as the emcee. They did Money Makes the World Go Round. I'm guessing its cut out due to rights issues.

by Anonymousreply 224April 8, 2024 6:15 AM

The missing FAMILY episode is when Doug went cruising behind the courthouse......oh, daddy!

by Anonymousreply 225April 9, 2024 1:22 AM

The recasting with Meredith was brilliant. Until she started having too much input on the character. Then she left them high and dry. Her first episodes though were great. She added a bit of spice.

by Anonymousreply 226April 9, 2024 2:11 AM

Nancy being pretty made the dynamic of the family make more sense as she was clearly a princess and a daddy's girl and while a plain girl can be both; being pretty makes more sense for that type of character visually.

by Anonymousreply 227April 9, 2024 4:15 AM

Compare the two. First, Meredith's Nancy. Mesmerizing scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228April 9, 2024 4:18 AM

Original Nancy.

Umm...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229April 9, 2024 4:19 AM

It may sound silly, but MBB brought a natural quality and even gravitas to Nancy, which Elayne Heilveil didn't have. Jane Actman probably didn't have them either, but no footage of her attempt at Nancy exists.

Imagine Nancy being played by one of the show's featherweight-and-wooden typical '70s guest stars like Season Hubley. Actman was in that category. The whole show would have been off balance.

MBB wrote in her autobiography that she wasn't sure Sada Thompson respected her, but IMO Meredith always held her own in scenes with accomplished thespians Sada and James Broderick.

by Anonymousreply 230April 9, 2024 4:32 AM

Elayne Heilveil's casting never made a bit of sense. Nancy was Daddy's princess and incredibly pretty (which is how she attracted her husband), and Elayne resembled the schlubby wife who Charles Grodin left on their honeymoon in The Heartbreak Kid. It's as if they'd cast Cybill in that role and Elaine May's daughter in Cybill's role.

by Anonymousreply 231April 9, 2024 2:38 PM

I think about the characters from Family even when I take my walks in the morning. I insert myself into their household ca. 1977.

I have a vivid imagination. I tell Doug and Kate- I'm their child in this fantasy- that they ought to get rid of their crappy Ford economy cars and buy something nice like an Oldsmobile Cutlass.

by Anonymousreply 232April 9, 2024 2:41 PM

You may fantasize about me being your mother, R232, but fortunately for me that is not the case as my plate is full enough with my daughter Nancy; disappointment doesn't even begin to describe my feelings about her.

by Anonymousreply 233April 9, 2024 2:47 PM

MBB also shaded Sada about gaining weight between seasons, complaining to the costume designers that "MY DRESSES! They've SHRUNK!"

by Anonymousreply 234April 9, 2024 3:00 PM

Stevie Nicks should have stopped by that house, just to kick Kate in the cunt bone.

by Anonymousreply 235April 9, 2024 3:36 PM

Kate would have twisted Stevie like a pretzel. "I kick to the cuntbone? That all you got? I eat more than that for breakfast. Now I'm gonna melt you down to butter my biscuits. Come get your ass kicking you gypsy whore."

by Anonymousreply 236April 9, 2024 5:12 PM

Years back there was a black DLer who was fascinated by Family and approached it like Margaret Mead might have approached a strange unknown tribe with its own peculiar customs.

I liked him.

by Anonymousreply 237April 9, 2024 6:50 PM

R228, that Sada Thompson/Meredith scene is one of the finest in its five seasons. There’s also a great Sada/Gary Frank scene where he needs to borrow $5,000 to buy drugs for Rubinstein’s band (called “Hard Candy,” with a lead singer played by DL favorite Ilene Kristen) that is equally wonderful. Sada goes from droll to truly concerned to suspicious, then erecting that Pasadena facade again, all in about six lines.

by Anonymousreply 238April 9, 2024 11:18 PM

Jesus. MBB really was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 239April 10, 2024 2:10 AM

High riding bitch!

by Anonymousreply 240April 10, 2024 4:09 AM

One of my favorite segments of the show is Kate describing all her kids to a friend. It wasn't meant to be humorous and it was so touching. The look in Sada's eyes was acting enough. She said, and I'm sure I'm getting it close to exact: "Every time I look at Nancy I'm amazed someone that beautiful came out of me."

by Anonymousreply 241April 10, 2024 4:19 AM

I still have to watch the "Locher Room" chat with Gary Frank and John Rubenstein....despite being a recurring character at best John sort of monopolized what I did see of that chat, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 242April 10, 2024 2:18 PM

Jeff was always unbearable to be around for any length of time, it was easy to see why he and Nancy hit it off...

by Anonymousreply 243April 11, 2024 12:21 AM

R224 I've seen it so I guess it's not cut.

by Anonymousreply 244April 11, 2024 4:39 AM

[quote] Elayne Heilveil's casting never made a bit of sense. Nancy was Daddy's princess and incredibly pretty (which is how she attracted her husband)

R231 I'm going to disagree with this because I don't see why E. H. couldn't have been Daddy's princess. Any girl can be Daddy's princess in any family. And Jeff was (to me, anyway) no big deal (though he was rich). He wasn't handsome and he was a serial cheater. He's lucky he got Elayne, never mind Meredith.

by Anonymousreply 245April 11, 2024 4:45 AM

But it wasn't that she was just daddy's little princess. She was a princess anywhere she went. Lets face it, because of the way she looked. Ninety percent of her character was meant for us to love/hate her because she had no problem using her looks in everything she did. Especially with men. She was self-centered but yet still somehow likeable.

by Anonymousreply 246April 11, 2024 4:50 AM

R246 Oh, yeah, I agree. Having said all that, that I much prefer Meredith.

And the storylines with all those men falling for Nancy at first sight because of her stunning looks never would have worked with Heilveil.

I never really thought MBB was a total knockout, but she's pretty, blond, and super attractive, and it's easy to see why any guy would be into her. And - I doubt she'd get away with it today, but she had lopsided front teeth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247April 11, 2024 4:52 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248April 11, 2024 4:52 AM

Her mother was Whitney Blake. An absolutely stunning woman. They looked very much alike except for the teeth you mentioned. I always dug MBB's teeth. It gave her that slight imperfection that made her somehow prettier. If I wasn't a big mo she would be the type I would fall for.

by Anonymousreply 249April 11, 2024 4:54 AM

I think Nancy was likeable because Meredith is likeable. She would do things like leave a list of things for Kate to do while she (Nancy) was at class. "Pick up my dry cleaning," etc. Then she took the car. But I couldn't hate her for it. Can't explain why. I guess everyone just had a crush on Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 250April 11, 2024 5:00 AM

R249 I actually don't see that much resemblance.

by Anonymousreply 251April 11, 2024 5:00 AM

Meredith is somewhat "plain Jane" while Whitney had that old-movie-star glamour.

by Anonymousreply 252April 11, 2024 5:03 AM

You're right R250. Nancy would be home reading a book while having Kate babysit LOL. It was just the charm of MBB. You just couldn't hate her. Another thing great about MBB's Nancy was the only person who saw right through her was her mother. Yet she was still wrapped around Nancy's finger. It was like Nancy was Kate's Krypotnite. Sorry for the in depth analysis of Nancy but god I love this show and have always loved MBB.

by Anonymousreply 253April 11, 2024 5:04 AM

I remember watching an episode of Hazel. Whitney Blake walked into the scene as they were getting ready to go to some formal event. They had Whitney dressed in complete shimmering navy blue. Hat, dress, gloves, shoes. All one color. I actually gasped at how beautiful she looked. So yeah MBB is the better actress and Whitney a bit more beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 254April 11, 2024 5:08 AM

I think I already said this (if so, sorry) but I'm a latecomer to the show and also to liking MBB. I'm surprised I like her so much on Family because I never cared for her much before, mainly because I thought she was untalented. Whatever I saw her in in the past (Little Women, Family Ties) I wasn't impressed. But she's great on Family. As well as having a lot of charm.

by Anonymousreply 255April 11, 2024 5:11 AM

PS Nancy/Meredith was a very mid/late '70s sort of attractive. The long hair, conservative outfits in earth tones, soft sweaters, somewhat boyish figure.

by Anonymousreply 256April 11, 2024 5:14 AM

Plus Nancy's involvement with Buddy ranged from cruelty to dismissive. It was refreshing. Nancy just laughed at Buddy when Buddy thought it was that Jameson Parker was interested in.

by Anonymousreply 257April 11, 2024 5:22 AM

If I was a straight guy in 1977 I would love to have arm candy like her.

by Anonymousreply 258April 11, 2024 2:12 PM

I thought young John Rubenstein/Jeff was hot. But he was 70s hot....if that makes sense.

Nancy got a lot of decent dick during the run of the show, if I remember correctly. A young Tommy Lee Jones was one of them.

by Anonymousreply 259April 11, 2024 2:15 PM

[quote]R78 ABC decided it was expendable and shortened the season, and then decided to pull the plug.

it was an abortion. An ABORTION, Michael!

by Anonymousreply 260April 11, 2024 6:46 PM

I agree with those commenting on Whitney Blake. I caught part of an episode of “Hazel” once and remember thinking how she was extremely pretty, almost too pretty for the show.

by Anonymousreply 261April 11, 2024 7:04 PM

Family was a much better showcase for MBB's talents than Family Ties was, obviously. MBB just isn't very funny and doesn't have particularly good timing or delivery. Add to that she had to play a responsible mother as opposed to a self-absorbed princess who happened to have a child who she made her parents look after all the time. Nancy was a good fit for MBB, Elyse Keaton not so much...

by Anonymousreply 262April 11, 2024 11:54 PM

Family Ties really just became the MJ Fox show. I know Meredith and Michael Gross weren’t exactly thrilled, but grinned, bared it and cash their big checks. I definitely remember MBBs work more on Family than FT. And she wasn’t even in every episode.

by Anonymousreply 263April 12, 2024 12:39 AM

R262- That's because Family was a far better show than Family Ties.

Family Ties was just a mediocre sitcom- mediocre at best.

by Anonymousreply 264April 12, 2024 2:17 AM

I don’t appreciate slop

by Anonymousreply 265April 12, 2024 2:22 AM

As a child, I never paid much attention to Nancy or Willie when i watched the show, or to Doug for that matter. I only was interested in Kate (because I recognized even then what a fine actress Sada Thompson was, and I was fascinated by the character's imperfections) and Buddy (because she was close to my age).

by Anonymousreply 266April 12, 2024 2:32 AM

R266- She is the centerpiece of the show.

By far THE most important character.

by Anonymousreply 267April 12, 2024 3:15 AM

MBB seemed to be an actress who reflected those she worked with. If she worked with a great partner then she was great. Thus her work with Sada was some of her best. If you haven't seen MBB in A Woman Scorned, I believe it's on YouTube, you should watch it. If it was a theatrical release she would have at least been nominated for an Oscar. Sounds corny but she was truly magnificent. Other actresses would have hammed that story up but MBB was so low key in her crazy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268April 12, 2024 3:47 AM

R268 What about an Emmy?

by Anonymousreply 269April 12, 2024 3:27 PM

MBB worked very well with Michael Gross on “Family Ties.” They had great chemistry and were both born the same day and year.

by Anonymousreply 270April 12, 2024 4:08 PM

r267, I referred to three women in my post. Whom do you mean by "she"?

by Anonymousreply 271April 12, 2024 4:21 PM

Our Sada- of course.

by Anonymousreply 272April 12, 2024 4:24 PM

MBB sort of became cliched later on as one of those women in peril actresses for Lifetime movies.

A shame as she was always capable of more.

by Anonymousreply 273April 12, 2024 4:45 PM

Meredith talks about working with Michael in this clip (which I think is new). Click on the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274April 12, 2024 8:28 PM

I forget what they call the clause but MBB had it in Family Ties. It was in her contract that she always was to be the top paid actor on the show. So when MJG got the huge bump in his salary; MBB got a bigger one.

by Anonymousreply 275April 12, 2024 8:46 PM

The picture in OP’s original post just screams “DYSFUNCTION”. It’s daylight outside, but the kid is already in his pajamas with a dinner that he’s obviously had to pull together himself because his parents are chronic alcoholics with zombie-like expressions on their faces.

by Anonymousreply 276April 12, 2024 8:54 PM

I was reading that Sada interview, as I was born the year this show ended. The last season was not even a real season- It was shortened mid season replacement season of specials and then 8 or so episodes ...

I wonder why the writers did not give it an ending... The last episode is clearly a final episode, but they probably should have done a better job.

This is the most boring post I have ever written about a show that I barely know about.

by Anonymousreply 277April 12, 2024 8:57 PM

R276, that’s a girl.

by Anonymousreply 278April 12, 2024 9:47 PM

R276 Tell us you've never seen the show without telling us you've never seen the show.

In the episode, if I recall correctly (not sure), Buddy wasn't feeling well after school so her mother told her to go up to bed. Then she was feeling well enough to eat. Or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 279April 12, 2024 10:22 PM

MBB was on Oprah talking about her memoir and Michael Gross came on as a surprise guest; she got so emotional. I thought she was pretty wackadoodles and Oprah asked her why she was with an abusive husband and MBB said something -- which made sense -- you see someone bad for you and you say THIS feels familiar.

So you go to what's familiar.

by Anonymousreply 280April 13, 2024 5:28 AM

Doug: I thought you were sick. What's with the snack?

Buddy: Nancy ordered a cucumber and watercress sandwich.

Kate: I hope you used low-fat mayo.

Buddy: I think my fever is spiking. Is there more aspirin?

Doug: Quit playing Camille, and take the sandwich to your sister, then come back and freshen up these fucking drinks. We told you to make them stiff.

Kate: And make me a cucumber and watercress sandwich too.

Buddy: With EXTRA low-fat mayo?

Kate: You little bitch!

by Anonymousreply 281April 13, 2024 6:58 AM

Continue with the script please....along the lines of Nancy berating Buddy about how shitty her sandwich was.

by Anonymousreply 282April 13, 2024 4:18 PM

Meredith said she and Michael Gross became close - not sure if it was during or after the show - that he was very supportive and that they stayed friends.

by Anonymousreply 283April 13, 2024 5:20 PM

R281 Nice. But I don't even remember if we had low-fat mayo in the 70s, never mind extra low fat.

by Anonymousreply 284April 13, 2024 5:21 PM

Nancy: Buddy can't you see that the cucumber/watercress ratio is way off? Take it away. I've lost my appetite. You will never find a man.

by Anonymousreply 285April 13, 2024 5:33 PM

Watching the show with the perspective of now, I can see Meredith's slightly dykey tendencies. She doesn't ever show much femininity, especially for the time period of the mid-to-late '70s. Sada actually is more fem than Meredith. And as for Kristy, well, that was pretty obv.

by Anonymousreply 286April 13, 2024 5:38 PM

Linda Lavin was the best guest actress they ever had.

by Anonymousreply 287April 13, 2024 5:41 PM

^^Haha

by Anonymousreply 288April 13, 2024 5:43 PM

Doug's dad was played more than once by John Beal - who played the title role in the Katharine Hepburn film, The Little Minister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289April 13, 2024 5:45 PM

He looked like this on the show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290April 13, 2024 5:48 PM

Genie Francis was great as Buddy's arch nemesis. Genie got to pop Leif's cherry.

by Anonymousreply 291April 13, 2024 5:48 PM

David Wayne also played the dad, as did Henry Fonda.

Last night I watched Alice's Restaurant (1969), with Arlo Guthrie - mainly because whenever I look up photos of James Broderick, it comes up. I had seen it years ago, in the '70s, at a showing at college. It was really kind of boring, this time around. JB was the best actor in it, I'd say. He almost single-handedly held it together when Arlo was not onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 292April 13, 2024 5:52 PM

R291 Did realize that was her. Leif was so seriocomic in his "A guy has needs" speeches. He looked 13.

by Anonymousreply 293April 13, 2024 5:53 PM

(Didn't)

by Anonymousreply 294April 13, 2024 5:53 PM

Just watched the Joseph Bottoms/Alice Ghostley episode. Jesus Christ, he was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 295April 13, 2024 6:06 PM

Sorry. Lisa Welchel got Leif's cherry. Genie got Willies cherry. Here's Genie cunting on Buddy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296April 13, 2024 6:08 PM

Buddy is attempting to do some of the Zephyr team moves.

by Anonymousreply 297April 13, 2024 6:14 PM

There's an episode where Buddy is in a skateboarding contest and Kristy McNichol's dykeitude can be seen from outer space.

by Anonymousreply 298April 13, 2024 7:46 PM

The 1977 Primetime EMMY AWARD for Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series.

The nominees are:

Sada Thompson for Family

Michael Learned for The Waltons

Angie Dickinson for Police Woman

Kate Jackson for Charlie’s Angels

Lindsay Wagner for The Bionic Woman

And the winner is…

Lindsay Wagner for The Bionic Womam!

by Anonymousreply 299April 13, 2024 8:36 PM

I thought Genie was only on an early episode. It wasn't much longer after that episode that she joined General Hospital.

by Anonymousreply 300April 14, 2024 1:43 AM

Wow, Thompson aside, r299 contains about the tackiest list of nominees ever!

Why not throw in Lauren Tewes, as well?

by Anonymousreply 301April 14, 2024 1:54 AM

R301 Michael Learned in The Waltons - good actress - no real difference between her job and Sada's.

Anyway - in general, acting is hard. You think Angie Dickinson just had to stand around and collect a check?

by Anonymousreply 302April 14, 2024 2:01 AM

Me and Angie split the pretty vote. That's why that bag of bones Wagner won.

by Anonymousreply 303April 14, 2024 3:39 AM

We voted for Lindsay: unlike some of the other nominees, she was cool AND hot!!

by Anonymousreply 304April 14, 2024 3:42 AM

An open letter to Tubi:

We will NOT tolerate Family being removed from your service again.

We will rise up and destroy you!

Listen up, and listen good!!

by Anonymousreply 305April 14, 2024 5:06 AM

by Anonymousreply 306April 14, 2024 2:17 PM

R303 Wagner was just as hot as them. Lindsay submitted a twins episode, which is always catnip to the voters.

by Anonymousreply 307April 14, 2024 2:27 PM

R296. Alice could be the doppelgänger of the hot girl in my 8th grade class: Patti Hale. Was there a single girl in Southern California who didn’t part her long hair in the middle back then?

P.S. that’s some weak skateboard skills showing in that scene, by everyone.

P.P.S. I had that same long sleeve shirt as Willie Ames wore —rugby shirts were big then 🤷🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 308April 14, 2024 2:38 PM

The kids aren't good but skateboarding only had a major resurgence around 1974-75 when urethane wheels were introduced. Many kids in the '70s weren't good skateboarders. I skated but was no better than the kids shown in the episode.

by Anonymousreply 309April 14, 2024 2:45 PM

(Well, maybe a little better.)

by Anonymousreply 310April 14, 2024 3:05 PM

R399 I know —I was there. They were terrible skateboarders in that episode.

by Anonymousreply 311April 14, 2024 3:07 PM

R311 When did I say they weren't?

by Anonymousreply 312April 14, 2024 3:14 PM

🙄

by Anonymousreply 313April 14, 2024 3:15 PM

They were actors. Not athletes.

I'm guessing Kristy was into skateboarding so they wrote some episodes for her about it. I don't think she learned it for the episodes, but who knows?

by Anonymousreply 314April 14, 2024 3:20 PM

Kristy was very athletic. I think she did all of the battle of the network stars. And skateboarding was big in the late 70s, so she probably already knew.

by Anonymousreply 315April 14, 2024 3:30 PM

Extremely athletic. She'll never get a man to do all the heavy lifting for her. Poor, poor Buddy. Now excuse me. I've got a bad brief to write but I'll bring it to daddy and he'll rewrite it for me. I've got a date. Toodles.

by Anonymousreply 316April 14, 2024 5:05 PM

Emmy Award winning actress Kristy McNichol guest stars on a ‘Carrie/The Exorcist’ styled episode of the ABC series The Bionic Woman starring Emmy Award winning actress Lindsay Wagner. Here is an excerpt from the 1976 episode for consideration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317April 14, 2024 6:05 PM

[quote]. Add the opening theme, the instrumentation,

I love the opening theme!

by Anonymousreply 318April 14, 2024 6:26 PM

I remember Kate telling Annie to do something and then saying, "Now, march!" It reminded me of my mom.

by Anonymousreply 319April 14, 2024 6:50 PM

Jaime Sommers knew how to slalom on a skateboard!

by Anonymousreply 320April 14, 2024 7:14 PM

and crush a tennis ball. Don't forget that.

by Anonymousreply 321April 14, 2024 9:39 PM

The natural maternal warmth and comfort Jamie displayed with tearful and frightened young Kristy is something that was sorely lacking in Kate "Suck It Up, Sunshine" Lawrence of Pasadena.

by Anonymousreply 322April 14, 2024 10:30 PM

Joyce, you wouldn't say that if you ever tried to get Buddy to scrub your toilet with her toothbrush. She can be very insolent. Poor, poor Buddy.

by Anonymousreply 323April 14, 2024 10:32 PM

R287=Linda Lavin

by Anonymousreply 324April 15, 2024 1:26 PM

R324 That's why it's signed, "Linda Lavin."

by Anonymousreply 325April 15, 2024 1:52 PM

Put your glasses on Kate.

by Anonymousreply 326April 15, 2024 1:57 PM

I bended in half and now I’m staring up.at my taint

by Anonymousreply 327April 15, 2024 9:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!