Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Beatrice Arthur Special January 1980

No Dorothy - yet.

TOTALLY Maude on this special.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 30, 2024 2:36 AM

And Rock looking incredibly different.....much older than he had.

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2024 4:25 AM

Rock Hudson singing?? WTF???

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2024 5:02 AM

Costumes by Ret Turner.

by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2024 8:48 AM

because we wouldn't pay for Bob Mackie.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2024 8:52 AM

Wow, Bea not only wearing heels but also showing her legs!

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2024 11:58 AM

Edie and Judd's Second Honeymoon, a dramedy sketch in which a burnt-out couple (Arthur and Hudson) celebrates their 30th anniversary.

Beatrice and Rock Hudson playing a married couple is the height of camp.

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2024 12:27 PM

Rock should have done a bit with Wayland Flowers and Madame.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2024 2:29 AM

Bea singing reminds me of Anne Bancroft's attempts at singing. These women had voices that were unexceptional yet they acted liked this was their hidden and unappreciated talent.

by Anonymousreply 8January 25, 2024 8:01 AM

Such a bizarre collection of songs and arrangements. Bea could be really effective as a singer with just piano and a pretty song instead of the overproduced soup from that special .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 25, 2024 12:07 PM

R8 Well, Anne Bancroft didn't win a Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a Musical (Mame) or appear in The Three Penny Opera or Fiddler On The Roof.

by Anonymousreply 10January 25, 2024 12:41 PM

I really wanted the Beatrice Straight TV special.

by Anonymousreply 11January 25, 2024 2:09 PM

R11, Beatrice Straight did have a TV special, however it was only 5 minutes long...

by Anonymousreply 12January 25, 2024 11:29 PM

I think Miss Arthur had some of the most successful body-reimagining ever accomplished in the history of television actors.

by Anonymousreply 13January 25, 2024 11:54 PM

R13 I'm always surprised how little it's talked about - she looked SO different on GG from the way she looked on Maude. And she sounded different too.

by Anonymousreply 14January 26, 2024 3:54 PM

R9 one of her nicest moments. Such a pretty song, and it pissed off Blanche.

by Anonymousreply 15January 26, 2024 3:58 PM

Rock Hudson singing isn’t that unusual, he starred in the touring company of On he Twentieth Century, and he also appeared in Camelot, and I Do, I Do.

by Anonymousreply 16January 26, 2024 6:06 PM

*On The Twentieth Century

by Anonymousreply 17January 26, 2024 6:07 PM

Rock/Oscar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 26, 2024 6:10 PM

[quote]I'm always surprised how little it's talked about - she looked SO different on GG from the way she looked on Maude. And she sounded different too.

Bea lost a lot of weight and had an excellent facelift between Maude and GG. She looked much better on GG than she did on Maude, and she was a decade older!

by Anonymousreply 19January 26, 2024 7:33 PM

Bea sings Hard Hearted Hannah on Maude. She was great here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 26, 2024 7:35 PM

Except I always loved Maude and felt that Bea was more *real* in that state, looked more real, felt more real. Maybe it's just me.

by Anonymousreply 21January 26, 2024 7:39 PM

She looked different but I think she always sounded the same.

by Anonymousreply 22January 26, 2024 7:45 PM

While Arthur did look older, the harsh lighting and makeup on “Maude” also contributed to it. Same for Rue McClanahan. And those 70s fashions…

Look at the 1971 “All in the Family” episode that introduces the character of Maude. When there is a tight closeup of Arthur’s face when she says, “You’re fat!” To Archie, you can see her mustache very clearly.

by Anonymousreply 23January 26, 2024 8:30 PM

I thought Dorothy was a much kinder, gentler, thoughtful character than Maude.

by Anonymousreply 24January 26, 2024 10:21 PM

She was, r24.

by Anonymousreply 25January 26, 2024 10:24 PM

Costume designer Judy Evans created distinctive looks for each of the four actresses to suit their characters' personalities and to reflect the Florida setting. According to Evans, "I wanted a sexy, soft, and flowing look for Rue, a tailored, pulled-together look for Bea, a down-home look for Betty, and comfort for Estelle."[60] Anna Wyckoff of the Costume Designers Guild wrote, "Evans took the direction from the producers to create a vibrant look for the four mature leads, and ran with it...redefining what 'dressing your age' looked like."[61] Many of the characters' outfits were designed by Evans and made especially, but seven to ten costume changes per episode were made between the four actresses, which entailed a great deal of off-the-rack shopping.[62] Evans generally dressed the actresses in expensive pieces and high-quality fabrics, despite the recurring theme that the four characters were struggling with money, because, "The main idea was to make them look good. We didn't want the show to be about four dowdy ladies."[62]

Bea Arthur had a preference for wearing loose-fitting clothing, like slacks and long sweaters, along with sandals, because she hated wearing shoes. She had established this signature look while playing Maude, and Evans honored it in her designs for Dorothy.[63] Much of Arthur's wardrobe was custom-made because at the time, finding off-the-rack clothing that was flattering for a taller woman was difficult.

by Anonymousreply 26January 26, 2024 11:02 PM

According to Rita Riggs...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 26, 2024 11:11 PM

she should have gotten Melissa Gilbert for the show.

by Anonymousreply 28January 27, 2024 12:15 PM

Rita Riggs should be prosecuted for fashion hate crimes for those hideous Maude outfits.

by Anonymousreply 29January 27, 2024 12:19 PM

A Bea Arthur special in 1980. Gee, must’ve swept the Nielsens that week.

by Anonymousreply 30January 29, 2024 2:01 AM

Bea was very attractive in that special. She said in an interview in 2001 with the Television Academy Foundation that she wanted Angela Lansbury as the guest star but the network thought Angela wasn't popular enough (that was before Murder She Wrote) so they gave her Roch Hudson instead.

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2024 6:37 PM

^^Rock Hudson^^

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2024 6:38 PM

R21 - But to hear Bea tell it, she was nothing like her TV characters (Maude or Dorothy). She was neurotic, reclusive and generally quiet. The irony is that Bea was probably more old-fashioned than her counterpart Jean Stapleton as Edith. Jean was full-on women's libber while Bea was, shall we say, demure.

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2024 6:43 PM

R33- She wasn't old fashioned when it came to SCISSORING

by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2024 8:00 PM

"No Dorothy - yet. TOTALLY Maude on this special."

You're being kind. Regardless of the show, Bea Arthur only played one character - Bea Arthur. Loud, withering glare, double takes, and moving across the stage as if she didn't think she'd make it to the bathroom in time.

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2024 8:05 PM

R30- Just like 14 months earlier when Bea starred in the Star ⭐️ Wars Holiday Special.

by Anonymousreply 36March 27, 2024 12:40 AM

Bea was ugly during the first season of Maude because of bad hair, no makeup and shitty clothes. In season 2, they went crazy with the makeup and she looked like a drag queen. However, she did look great in seasons 3, 4 and 5. In season 6, her hair and makeup were horrible again but she looked good in the very last episode.

On Golden Girls, she looked her best in the last 2 seasons. The hair, makeup and the classy way Judy Evans dressed her was perfection. Her hair was too short in the earlier seasons and she had lost too much weight. She regained a bit of the weight in the later seasons and looked much better.

by Anonymousreply 37March 28, 2024 12:07 PM

[quote] Bea was ugly during the first season of Maude because of bad hair, no makeup and shitty clothes. In season 2, they went crazy with the makeup and she looked like a drag queen.

What's funny is that in the earlier season, for some reason, there are multiple times that Arthur (or even another actor) refers to Maude as gorgeous and stunningly beautiful. Arthur is what we used to call a handsome woman, but hardly a beauty queen. I always wondered if these lines were meant to be ironic (which would presumably be offensive to Arthur, well known for her insecurities), or if they were just humoring Arthur which frankly isn't much better.

by Anonymousreply 38March 28, 2024 12:21 PM

R38, I think that was in season 2 when Maude had a facelift. In reality, it was just makeup and a new hairstyle. Bea said during an interview that she didn't have a facelift at that time because he doctor didn't think she was ready. She's also called an attractive woman by the black father of her second black maid in the 4th or 5th season. I do think Bea believed at some point that she was very attractive.

by Anonymousreply 39March 28, 2024 1:53 PM

Bea and Madam talking about sex symbol Rock Hudson "he would never take advantage of a woman." Five years before he died of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 40March 28, 2024 2:17 PM

Her final hairstyle on GG has not aged well. Combine the hair with that wedding dress and Yeesh.

by Anonymousreply 41March 28, 2024 2:18 PM

I liked that hairstyle R41. Much better than her super short hair in the first season.

by Anonymousreply 42March 28, 2024 5:33 PM

Just watched this on Youtube. Very cringey and Melba is the only one who comes across as a truly gifted singer/entertainer. My jaw just about dropped open at what was a blatant gay joke and then listening to Rock and Bea sing about amyl nitrate, poppers, and coke. Good Lord! Looks like CBS buried it on a Saturday night hoping no one would ever actually see it.

by Anonymousreply 43March 30, 2024 2:29 AM

A Mother's Kisses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 30, 2024 2:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!