Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sci-fi series '3 Body Problem'

From Amanda Peet's husband David Benioff, D.B. Weiss and Alexander Woo. Based on the book trilogy [italic]The Three-Body Problem.[/italic]

[quote]A young woman’s fateful decision in 1960s China reverberates across space and time to a group of brilliant scientists in the present day. As the laws of nature unravel before their eyes five former colleagues reunite to confront the greatest threat in humanity’s history.

Out March 21st.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 14, 2024 11:38 PM

Can't wait to see this!

by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2024 11:14 PM

I have a three person in one body problem.

by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2024 11:19 PM

This has been a long time in the making and I guarantee it is going to suck donkey balls.

by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2024 11:19 PM

I found the book really underwhelming. Given what a big deal it was being the first Chinese book to really hit big in the US, I was surprised it seemed so Western in its narrative.

by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2024 11:27 PM

Final trailer.

Looks more exciting than the first one, although the Z-list acting lineup doesn't inspire much confidence. We'll see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 7, 2024 2:46 PM

Eiza Gonzalez is the kiss of death for any project.

by Anonymousreply 6March 7, 2024 4:26 PM

It doesn't appear to have that much to do with the books, but I'm in.

by Anonymousreply 7March 7, 2024 4:33 PM

Has anyone watched? Reviews by critics have been mixed.

by Anonymousreply 8March 22, 2024 5:22 AM

I stopped fifteen minutes into the premiere and switched to a different show. Dialogue was so painfully cliched, it hurts my soul to go from watching Shogun to this. I will give it another chance when I clear my backlog, however.

by Anonymousreply 9March 22, 2024 5:36 AM

The first book was great. After the giant turd sandwich they fed everyone during the final 3 seasons of Game of Thrones, I have zero confidence that anything Benioff & Weiss do will be any good. Their post-episode videos on HBO for GoT made it clear what mediocrities they really are: literal-minded and obvious.

by Anonymousreply 10March 22, 2024 6:34 AM

I can’t get past my association with the GOT actors especially Sam Tarly. It’s like watching Jan Brady play a prostitute in ‘Dawn, Portrait of a Teennage Runaway’. It’s just not working. The story threads set in China are enjoyable because GOT isn’t casting a shadow,

by Anonymousreply 11March 22, 2024 7:37 AM

Omg it's a DEI fest. I didn't realize London based physicists are all models and racially diverse mostly female hotties.

The historic scenes set in China are excellent and really match the book. I've only watched episode 1, and I'm not sure I'm going to continue. It's also weird seeing the Game of Thrones cast populating the thing

by Anonymousreply 12March 22, 2024 9:02 AM

I've watched the first two episodes so far. I think it is pretty remarkable.

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2024 11:37 AM

I agree, R10. I really liked the first book. I started the second, but I lost interest partway through. It had a different translator, and a librarian friend of mine said that can make a difference. I never bothered with the third book and just read the summary on Wikipedia.

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2024 12:43 PM

In episode three it starts getting very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2024 11:39 PM

It’s getting a bit boring, the pace is too slow.

by Anonymousreply 16April 9, 2024 10:12 AM

I didn't find it boring for one single moment.

by Anonymousreply 17April 9, 2024 10:17 AM

I started watching and only love the Chinese actors. The rest is such a diverse cliché, it's painful. What R12 said.

by Anonymousreply 18April 9, 2024 12:07 PM

I never watched GoT, so at least I didn't have that discrepancy to overcome. But I really liked this series, even though there were times the "hard science" (as opposed to "social science") parts slowed down the actual story. But to me, the smokin' hot Eiza Gonzalez and Marlo Kelly gave the series the eye candy it needed to keep me interested.

I'm trying to watch the Chinese series now. You can find it on Peacock (or in the other usual places). I haven't even managed to get through the first episode yet, and there are thirty of them! I'm too busy trying to weed out the parts of the story that are typical of modern Chinese culture from the parts that are simply intrinsic to the book (which I haven't read). That makes it a harder slog than the U.S. version.

Hopefully, more of you will give the Chinese version a try and we can discuss it here. DLers usually have great insights into aspects of movies/TV that go right by me, so I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions.

by Anonymousreply 19April 9, 2024 12:16 PM

It was a big groaner when they just happened to need a dying physicist. It was so obvious that it was coming.

by Anonymousreply 20April 10, 2024 1:28 AM

Episode 7 was so slow. Booooring and predictable . It is really not that great.

by Anonymousreply 21April 10, 2024 1:31 AM

The Chinese version is even slower, if you can imagine. Especially since I know what's going to happen.

I wonder if I'll make it through the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 22April 10, 2024 1:46 AM

Interesting article from the NYT. No firewall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 10, 2024 3:28 AM

[quote] The rest is such a diverse cliché, it's painful. Only white peoples deserve to be cast, ever. Anything else is phony.

by Anonymousreply 24April 10, 2024 3:32 AM

I got sick of Eiza Gonzalez's plastic surgery by the end of S1.

by Anonymousreply 25April 10, 2024 3:59 AM

The first comment in the NYT article compares the violence of the Cultural Revolution to DEI training, which is...a choice.

by Anonymousreply 26April 10, 2024 4:40 AM

I binged the entire thing in one weekend. I thought it was fantastic. I loved that it didn't drag out answers to the mysteries and questions. I also loved that after the kick-ass episode 5 (with two full "HOLY FUCKING SHIT" moments in it... at the midpoint and at the end), that it slowed down for a somber reflective episode 6 and 7. And then finished on a really high point, making me want season 2 RIGHT NOW.

I thought it was really amazingly good.

by Anonymousreply 27April 10, 2024 6:03 AM

Any word on if we'll get season 2? Why is Netflix dragging its feet with the renewal?!?

by Anonymousreply 28April 11, 2024 6:18 AM

THIS is the most interesting thing about The Three Body Problem series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 11, 2024 6:37 AM

I persevered because some DLers said it was good. It was fine, really picks up after the fifth episode. Most of the dialogue is pretty woeful and I found the human drama outside of the main alien plot beyond tedious. I liked the video game aspect the most and thought we'd get one level per episode, but nope.

Casting is pretty iffy, it was such a relief when that quippy fat dude got killed, can't stand that actor.

by Anonymousreply 30April 11, 2024 1:18 PM

I've forgotten most of it 2 weeks after having watched.

by Anonymousreply 31April 11, 2024 1:32 PM

I don't see it mentioned above, but the 30 episode Chinese version is available on Prime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 12, 2024 4:50 PM

I talked about it at R19, R32. Perhaps you have me blocked...and in that case, I guess there's no point in posting this.

OTOH, I will say that I'm up to Episode 13 in the Chinese version, and if you're going to watch that version, do yourself a favor and watch it before you watch the US version. It drags out every little thing for so fucking long I don't know why I'm still watching it. Just stubborn, I guess.

The US version is much, much better.

by Anonymousreply 33April 12, 2024 5:47 PM

Thanks, r33. I saw your post at r19, but that was for Peacock which is just about as niche as you can get, so I thought I would add that it's available on Prime.

I appreciate your advice about the dragging on, but credit your stubbornness.

Are the special effects special?

by Anonymousreply 34April 12, 2024 6:06 PM

Sorry, R34, I didn't notice. Thanks for the update.

Special effects? Not as good as the US version. And it skips around chronologically in a way the US version doesn't. It's like the plot just doesn't [italic]flow[/italic].

But I'm hangin' in there. I guess I just want to see if there are things the US version left out -- but so far, no.

by Anonymousreply 35April 12, 2024 8:50 PM

Wait, so the Chinese version one drags on and is boring? No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 36April 12, 2024 10:37 PM

OK, I quit. I just read the Wikipedia of the book's plot and it's much more complex than either of these series. Fuck it.

I gave it the ol' college try, though.

by Anonymousreply 37April 12, 2024 11:58 PM

Doesn't the Chinese series (30 episode) cover all three books?

Or is it 30 episodes for just the first book?

Still no word on whether we'll get book 2 and book 3 from Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 38April 13, 2024 12:00 AM

Just wanted to mention that there is a Chinese version nobody talks about. It's on Prime.

by Anonymousreply 39April 13, 2024 12:01 AM

Last episode was good.

by Anonymousreply 40April 14, 2024 8:30 PM

I fast forward the Chinese version, even skipping episodes. And I can confirm the 30 episodes is just about book 1, just like the US version. So don't bother watching both.

by Anonymousreply 41April 14, 2024 8:39 PM

Yikes, R41. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 42April 14, 2024 11:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!