Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Call The Midwife Season 13

Another year with the penguins!

PLEASE: UK DL'ers, please remember the US gets the show about three months later than you do. If you post something here, please don't give away any huge plot points.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 23, 2024 5:05 PM

The holiday special seemed to be something familiar - Monica Joan depressed again?

But the story of the mothers for this was kinda interesting and different.

And what they did for Monica Joan for Christmas seemed silly as they were describing it.....but I was in tears at the end when she saw it. MARY!

Also, speaking of MARY!.......Trixie's gay brother is back! Serving Charles Nelson Reilly realness.

by Anonymousreply 1December 26, 2023 2:38 AM

Are there any gossipy, trashy fan sites or boards for this show? I'm bored of the storylines, but I still want the dirt.

by Anonymousreply 2December 26, 2023 5:02 AM

R2 Might be some UK based ones?

The main gossip seems to be that Olly Rix is fucking Helen now.

But I bet there's been a few conflicts behind the scenes. I always wanted to know why Miranda Hart said she'd come back and then didn't. And some of the actresses left without a peep.

by Anonymousreply 3December 26, 2023 2:20 PM

I watched the first two episodes (I'm in America) and all I can say is - did they get new writers ? Boy the first two eps were horrible.

by Anonymousreply 4January 30, 2024 8:05 PM

This show and every kind of story of how a woman can give birth, has been beaten into the ground. Also - wouldn't Monica Joan be dead by now? She's like 100!

by Anonymousreply 5January 30, 2024 8:09 PM

Oh, hunny. There were only so many times I would bear to watch a woman squirting out a silicone baby.

Those actors need to get tips from Jack Mackenroth!

by Anonymousreply 6January 30, 2024 11:33 PM

Watched episode 3, as I catch up on them. It's gotten ridiculous - they're just repeating story ideas with different characters.

by Anonymousreply 7February 2, 2024 7:39 PM

I watch it for the opening and closing speeches, honestly- they’re so beautifully written and they got me through Covid and the aftermath of the Capitol riots.

(The Blessed Virgin) Mary!

by Anonymousreply 8February 8, 2024 2:29 AM

There's a theory that a Vanessa Redgrave soundalike is now providing the narrations

by Anonymousreply 9February 8, 2024 2:31 AM

She does a good job! It feels pretty seamless.

BTW, am I the only one annoyed by Dr Turner and his overarching earnestness?

by Anonymousreply 10February 8, 2024 2:37 AM

[quote] BTW, am I the only one annoyed by Dr Turner and his overarching earnestness?

His wife is a producer of the show, so he’s going nowhere.

And I hate his ex-nun wife. All she does is look sadly exasperated and say, “Oh, Patrick.” The recent Christmas episode with the present for May was the stupidest writing. It’s fraus thinking they can correct every conflict in the world.

by Anonymousreply 11February 8, 2024 11:52 AM

The Turners are the worst, narrowly followed by the Buckles.

by Anonymousreply 12February 8, 2024 9:07 PM

Just finished Season 13 (I'm in America, was able to watch it anyhow). I think this was one of the most disappointing seasons they've had so far. It's like they're just treading water now. Well, they are contracted for two more seasons...

by Anonymousreply 13March 12, 2024 10:34 PM

This show is running on fumes. Even the great Judy Parfitt is now just phoning it in.

The two new nurses are the worst. The black "sassy" girl straight out of an American sitcom and the "boring as watching paint dry" white girl.

Finally, they give Miss Higgins a really great story line, but confine it to *one* episode. They should have cut the Turner family drama and stretched Miss Higgins out for a few episodes.

But I do have a serious question for Brits and those who know British history.

Season 13 takes place in 1969. The midwives and some of the residents are still having to run to the corner to make a phone call from the phone box. I was a kid in the US in 1969. Everyone we knew had a phone in their home (some had party lines to lower the cost, but everyone had a phone). Was there still that much economic disparity between the US and the UK as late as 1969?

by Anonymousreply 14March 15, 2024 9:24 PM

They did seem to shake things up a bit for 11 and 12 but I do get the sense there is little else to do or say. It does seem to be running on fumes a bit.

I pretty much live for Miss Higgins. When she brought the records for Doreen in and said "Do NOT! touch them!" I was in heaven. She's so extra and I love it.

The two student midwifes seem like copies of something we've already seen.

And the idea that Hot Daddy Matthew is gone is too much to bear.

by Anonymousreply 15March 24, 2024 12:44 AM

PS I'm not talking about story as I haven't seen anything but episode 1 of this new season (am in the US) but various UK rags were saying Olly Rix was fired from Midwife.

by Anonymousreply 16March 24, 2024 12:46 AM

[quote]various UK rags were saying Olly Rix was fired from Midwife.

Helen George who plays Trixie met her partner Jack Ashton on the set of Call The Midwife. He played the minister who married boring Barbara. He was eventually written off the show when Charlotte Riley left. Helen and Jack have since split.

Olly Rix has recently split with his girlfriend.

Sources say that Olly was fired because he and Helen were starting to get close and the producers didn’t want a lot of backstage drama with two actors on the show being in a relationship.

You’ll notice that when midwife Lucille left the show, they kept Cyril. That’s because there were no messy relationships with those two.

by Anonymousreply 17March 24, 2024 1:41 AM

^^ Charlotte Riley left.

Ooops, I meant Charlotte Ritchie.

by Anonymousreply 18March 24, 2024 1:43 AM

She bored on Midwife but is hilarious on Ghosts.

I dunno, this might be my last season of Midwife.

by Anonymousreply 19March 24, 2024 3:44 AM

Goodness, tonight was a SLOG.

And a BUCKLE centered episode.....one's worst nightmare!

by Anonymousreply 20April 1, 2024 4:09 AM

[quote]Goodness, tonight was a SLOG. And a BUCKLE centered episode.....one's worst nightmare!

The Buckle episodes will seem like Death of a Salesman when you get to the later Turner episodes.

I hope next season May gets kidnapped by the Russians and is sent to live behind the Iron Curtain.

by Anonymousreply 21April 1, 2024 10:45 PM

I don't usually look at myself in the mirror but I caught a glimpse of myself today and realized I look an awful lot like Fred Buckle.

by Anonymousreply 22April 3, 2024 1:21 AM

It was so good early on.

by Anonymousreply 23April 3, 2024 1:34 AM

I was always hoping we'd get the Timothy cottaging episode, but no such luck.

by Anonymousreply 24April 3, 2024 1:51 AM

Timothy seems more like a pass-around bottom.

by Anonymousreply 25April 3, 2024 2:00 AM

[quote]Timothy seems more like a pass-around bottom.

There’s a reason Lucille went back to Jamaica. She walked in on Cyril teaching Timothy how to “pray.”

Time on your hands should be time on your knees, indeed!

by Anonymousreply 26April 3, 2024 2:13 AM

Timothy getting railed by some BBC would be divine.

But I'd also be fine with him and Matthew rolling around together.

by Anonymousreply 27April 8, 2024 3:21 AM

Miss Higgins and Phyllis are lapping on each other's ladyhams and I won't hear a word otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 28April 8, 2024 3:21 AM

Damn it.....Mae lived.

But the chav dad was kinda hot in this episode.

by Anonymousreply 29April 15, 2024 3:41 AM

This had to be the dullest season so far.

How many times can the grim reaper spin the roulette wheel on the cast members ?

by Anonymousreply 30April 15, 2024 4:27 AM

The last two episodes have managed to make formerly hot Matthew look like a constipated asshole.

by Anonymousreply 31April 15, 2024 2:44 PM

Aside from the towheaded soccer twink, another boring Matthew episode.

Did someone say there's a Miss Higgins episode this season?

by Anonymousreply 32April 23, 2024 3:33 AM

[quote]Did someone say there's a Miss Higgins episode this season?

The last episode, #8. It’s a very well done storyline, the problem is that it’s shoved into one episode and comes completely out of the blue. It’s a case where they should have developed her storyline over three or four episodes. But we had to sit through another shitty Patrick/Sheila/adopted May story arc. Those two young Turner kids are reduced to having no character traits or storylines at all. They should slit May’s throat in the night to make the Turner arc more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 33April 23, 2024 3:49 AM

I thought for sure Sheilagh was getting those two abandoned kids.

by Anonymousreply 34April 23, 2024 12:59 PM

The way the tabloids made it sound Olly Rix was leaving forever and being killed off.....but his departure sounds more temporary. Or at least not permanent.

by Anonymousreply 35April 23, 2024 5:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!