Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ed Zwick on Glory

This is a fun thread; in the Musk era we don’t see many posts like this on Twitter anymore.

Edward Zwick talks about his career, and here, more specifically about Matthew Broderick:

[quote]8 . MATTHEW He distrusted me from the beginning; I was 'a TV director' trying to direct an epic. He threatened to quit, sent my script to Horton Foote and Bo Goldman to rewrite (both refused) then brought in his mother to question every line. Then gave a magnificent performance

… he called his mama? Explains a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2024 1:29 PM

His mother is Beth Broderick, right?

by Anonymousreply 1December 17, 2023 10:45 PM

What a prick Matthew is.

by Anonymousreply 2December 17, 2023 11:43 PM

Patricia Broderick was a Playwright. .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 17, 2023 11:55 PM

It would be kind of embarrassing if she did accept Mathew’s demand and hightailed it to Ed Zwick’s trailer with an annotated screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 4December 18, 2023 12:12 AM

Ferris Bueller is a diva.

by Anonymousreply 5December 18, 2023 12:26 AM

He should’ve offered Matty a twink…

by Anonymousreply 6December 18, 2023 12:29 AM

I always thought he was a sniveling little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 7December 18, 2023 12:32 AM

I always thought he was miscast in the movie. I believe he had his car crash not too long before filming started, it may have been delayed so he could heal.

by Anonymousreply 8December 18, 2023 3:31 AM

"Patricia was a truth-teller, truth bombs: 'You know your dad's a fag.'" - Jennifer Grey

I'm sure she was a joy to collaborate with.

by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2023 3:46 AM

[quote]I always thought he was miscast in the movie

I don’t rate Broderick as an actor, he’s strictly Michael J. Fox sitcom level.

by Anonymousreply 10December 21, 2023 6:21 AM

I would have fired him and I don’t understand why that didn’t happen. The rest of the cast was so strong Broderick’s part could have been recast without hurting the movie.

by Anonymousreply 11December 21, 2023 10:47 AM

How is it that Zwick gets the release date wrong for his own film in a post celebrating what he cites as its 35th anniversary? GLORY was released December 1989.

by Anonymousreply 12December 21, 2023 12:33 PM

terrible movie. matthew broderick looks like a gay fourteen year old and is not believable as a military officer.

by Anonymousreply 13December 21, 2023 12:40 PM

[quote]"Patricia was a truth-teller, truth bombs: 'You know your dad's a fag.'" - Jennifer Grey

OMG I love her already!

by Anonymousreply 14December 21, 2023 12:42 PM

It’s not a terrible movie, there are some strong performances. Broderick’s is not one of them.

by Anonymousreply 15December 21, 2023 2:02 PM

I loved that movie. I cried and cried.

Andre Braughers role broke my heart.

The role was a good fit for Ferris; a young, somewhat naive person given a big role and him not having ANY idea of what the fuck he was supposed to do. It was all new to him.

I cried when I saw the frieze of the 54th Regiment at the National Gallery of Art in DC.

by Anonymousreply 16December 21, 2023 2:16 PM

Ed Zwick on My So-Called Life

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 24, 2023 12:36 AM

I just finished Zwick's memoir ("Hits, Flops, and Other Illusions"), which serves up a full platter of dish re Broderick and his inglorious mother. Also, lots of juicy Julia Roberts casting drama on "Shakespeare in Love." He's a pretty good writer, and it's an easy, mostly entertaining read, although I have never been the biggest fan of Zwick's work... He's an avid cheerleader for Denzel, Anne with an E, Jake Gyllenhaal, Laura Dern, Evan Rachel Wood, DiCaprio, and Cruise, although with even with most of them he finds a way to inject a bit of pointless bitchery.

by Anonymousreply 18March 5, 2024 1:53 AM

Patricia Broderick wrote a film after Glory, but her obit only mentions that some her plays were produced. Perhaps, she was a better editor than writer.

by Anonymousreply 19March 5, 2024 2:06 AM

I just added my name to the waitlist at the library for Zwick’s memoir. They only have one e-copy, and I’m 15th in line!

by Anonymousreply 20March 5, 2024 3:47 AM

[quote] I always thought he was miscast in the movie.

Matthew was well cast in the film. Especially in the Volunteer regiments there were many surprisingly young officers, Of course the actual Colonel Shaw benefited from his family's wealth and political connections, plus the 54th United States Colored Troops being an experimental unit most veteran senior officers would have rejected the assignment.

by Anonymousreply 21March 5, 2024 3:57 AM

Zwick worked with James Broderick on "Family," and makes a point of saying how THAT Broderick was "a wonderful actor and amiable pro."

by Anonymousreply 22March 5, 2024 4:49 AM

[quote] He's an avid cheerleader for … although with even with most of them he finds a way to inject a bit of pointless bitchery.

I love this man.

by Anonymousreply 23March 5, 2024 5:30 AM

I've been reading his book and got to the chapter on GLORY last night. According to Zwick, the movie was greenlit thanks to Broderick being attached to it, and he also says in the year since Matthew apologized for his antics and Zwick says all is forgiven. The Shakespeare in Love chapter is tonight!!

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2024 6:19 PM

I read the book last month and enjoyed it although I grew tired of his advice/helpful hints for producers and directors that began every chapter. We got it Ed, you're really good at handling neurotic actors. It was interesting to read about a time when big budget epics were the norm instead of the truly wretched Marvel universe we have now. I never thought I'd be nostalgic for movies I didn't think much of in the first place. Blood Diamond was excellent though.

by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2024 7:03 PM

Glory was a bore, and Broderick was miscast.

by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2024 1:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!