Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I just made myself the most delicious Bloody Mary!

Jealous, bitches?

It is so delicious, if I do say so myself.

Better than many bars.

It's sweet, and savory, and spicy.

Tomato juice, horseradish, black pepper, tabasco, worcestershire, and good vodka over ice. Topped with a green olive and pimento.

Omg, it's sooooo good! I just had to share.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 20, 2024 5:19 PM

I love Bloody Mary's.. Great for a hangover.

by Anonymousreply 1December 15, 2023 10:53 PM

No celery or celery salt? Lemon?

by Anonymousreply 2December 15, 2023 10:56 PM

I thought about buying celery yesterday R2, but it seemed like such a waste.

The celery is just a garnish for me, and mainly for visual appeal. So I decided against the celery. I would just end up tossing it, afterwards.

I've never heard of adding celery salt. I'll try that next time.

And I forgot the lemon.

I'll remember that next time. But it's still very delicious, as is.

by Anonymousreply 3December 15, 2023 10:58 PM

What exactly is “good” vodka?

by Anonymousreply 4December 15, 2023 11:01 PM

You included three condiments from the “Worst Condiments” thread, and posted it?

by Anonymousreply 5December 15, 2023 11:01 PM

Yes, I am jealous. It sounds good, and I've never had one before. I have most of the ingredients you listed, so I may make one tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 6December 15, 2023 11:02 PM

I prefer Tito's, but there are a lot of good brands out there now.

Stolichnaya, Grey Goose, etc.

But surprisingly, the NYT also claims that Smirnoff, Kirkland, and Pinnacle vodka are in the top 5.

Interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 15, 2023 11:04 PM

R6, make sure you taste your mix and that it's to your liking.

You don't have to over-do the spices and seasonings.

I prefer to make my mix first, and then add it to the ice and vodka later.

I used about 5 dashes of Worcestershire, 5 dashes of tabasco, half a teaspoon of horseradish, two shakes of black pepper, and then poured in a tiny can of tomato juice.

Then stirred. Taste it to make sure it's to your liking. You can add salt and lemon juice (as someone upthread mentioned), to give it more flavor.

Once your mix suits your taste, fill a glass with ice and pour in your desired amount of vodka.

Then just top it off with your Bloody Mary mix and garnish (celery, green olive, etc.).

Personally, I prefer my drink to have a lot of Bloody Mary flavor, so that it's almost a savory alcoholic drink.

Some people make their drink very light, with lots of alcohol. But I'm not a fan of that.

To me, what makes the best Bloody Mary is a good balance of alcohol and Bloody Mary mix.

Have fun experimenting!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 15, 2023 11:16 PM

I like blue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 15, 2023 11:18 PM

Oh r6, a well prepared homemade Bloody Mary is so much better than most you can get in a bar or restaurant. So many use a prepared Bloody Mary mix which is usually too salty and not spicy enough. Find a good recipe that includes OP’s ingredients plus a little celery salt, a squirt of lemon juice and a celery stalk. The celery is garnish but a refreshingly cooling bite to balance out the spicy bite of the horseradish. Delicious.

by Anonymousreply 10December 15, 2023 11:19 PM

That's pretty much how I make my Blood Mary:

V8 juice

Lemon or lime juice

Worcestershire sauce

Tabasco sauce

Horseradish

Celery stalk with the leafy part

Optional: green olives w/pimiento on a skewer

Vodka: I think Smirnoff would be OK. All the other ingredients are going to blow out your taste buds, so I don't think you need to get something expensive.

Footnote: I've gotten sick from Tito's maybe twice. Never got sick from Absolut.

by Anonymousreply 11December 15, 2023 11:22 PM

A good Bloody Mary mix is a source of pride for many bars.

They actually have contests, to see who makes the best drink.

The fun part is that you can create your own recipe, according to your taste. Although with the same basic recipe ingredients.

R11 I passed by the V8 in the juice aisle, but then decided to go with Campbell's tomato juice.

I noticed that V8 is actually called a "vegetable juice," whereas the Campbell's brand was pure tomato juice.

Having tried them both, I think that pure tomato juice has a better flavor than V8 vegetable juice. It's sweeter.

Also, buying the little cans of tomato juice keeps it fresher. If you buy a large bottle, it becomes less fresh as it gets older. Cans preserve the juice relatively well.

I know these are minor details, but it makes a difference in overall taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 15, 2023 11:30 PM

How does it not hurt your stomach with all those acidic things? I’m a lightweight and tend to drink white wine mixed with coconut water haha

by Anonymousreply 13December 15, 2023 11:32 PM

R13 you usually have only one with a fatty meal, like a cheese omelet. The fat neutralizes the acid.

I like to use Knudsen low sodium vegetable juice as a base.

by Anonymousreply 14December 15, 2023 11:35 PM

When alcoholic drinks start tasting too much like food, I tend to over-drink.

E.g., "dirty" martinis with all that savory olive juice plus the actual olives.

by Anonymousreply 15December 15, 2023 11:57 PM

Perfect as it is. A+

by Anonymousreply 16December 16, 2023 12:07 AM

Thanks R10.

by Anonymousreply 17December 17, 2023 10:37 PM

Why are Bloody Marys only for the morning?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 31, 2023 5:39 AM

Bloody MARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 31, 2023 3:54 PM

Has Juanita Hall commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 20December 31, 2023 4:22 PM

Has Richard Rodgers expressed dissatisfaction yet?

by Anonymousreply 21December 31, 2023 4:23 PM

a dash of 'liquid smoke' is a great addition to a bloody mary

by Anonymousreply 22December 31, 2023 4:51 PM

We make Caesars up here.

by Anonymousreply 23December 31, 2023 8:13 PM

Is tito's vodka better than absolute vodka?

by Anonymousreply 24April 20, 2024 5:02 PM

Clamato Juice (in the little cans is getting hard to find) and makes a great Bloody Mary.

by Anonymousreply 25April 20, 2024 5:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!