Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Civil War - New A24 movie trailer starring Kirsten Dunst, depicting a civil war in modern America catching a huge buzz

I found it very disturbing considering the state of America today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187April 20, 2024 3:06 AM

Will they have a part 2? What should they call it?

by Anonymousreply 1December 14, 2023 1:05 AM

Looks like the sequel to Leave the World Behind.

by Anonymousreply 2December 14, 2023 1:08 AM

If we face another round of the Orange Turd, I'll be joining the California forces.

by Anonymousreply 3December 14, 2023 1:22 AM

This movie trailer is very disturbing. WTF are they thinking. We do not need this right now. We really do not.

by Anonymousreply 4December 14, 2023 1:25 AM

I like to scare myself so I will watch it (just like Contagion during the early days of Covid)

by Anonymousreply 5December 14, 2023 1:28 AM

R4 I disagree. With a presidential election coming up in November and Trump running again, we absolutely need to see a movie like this before election day. If stern warnings from half of Trump's former cabinet members and Liz Cheney won't convince people the upcoming election could have serious consequences, maybe a movie like this will.

by Anonymousreply 6December 14, 2023 1:42 AM

☝️☝️

by Anonymousreply 7December 14, 2023 1:43 AM

I trust Kirsten Dunst

by Anonymousreply 8December 14, 2023 1:48 AM

R8 = Fatt Damon aka Jesse Plemmons

by Anonymousreply 9December 14, 2023 1:51 AM

I think this movie is exactly what America needs to see this spring.

Alright MAGA chodes, you want a civil war? *this* is what it looks like. Spoiler alert, a fuckton of people die, and not just squishy liberal types.

by Anonymousreply 10December 14, 2023 2:25 AM

r10 they'll think "awesome, i can't wait". they don't think like you.

by Anonymousreply 11December 14, 2023 2:27 AM

[quote][R10] they'll think "awesome, i can't wait". they don't think like you.

Hey, if they wanna be cannon fodder for the US military I won't complain.

by Anonymousreply 12December 14, 2023 2:31 AM

This looks excellent and is based on an entirely believable premise that seems more and more likely given the way things are going in the US.

by Anonymousreply 13December 14, 2023 2:37 AM

R12 you're assuming the "good guys" will be in control of the U.S. military. But it looks like the military will be divided too. And right now in real life, we MAGAts, Oathkeepers, militias, Proud Boys, and every other bullshit group out here armed to the teeth with IEDs, rocket and grenade launchers and automatic weapons. We even have militarized our local police forces with all kinds of weapons of war and vehicles. The problem is that the bad guys are not only well armed, they can get easy access to heavy artillery just by taking it locally. Lut military hardware is more accessible now than it has ever been. And the Extremists on the Right have been arming in the expectation of a civil war for a good while. This movie is avery bad idea. The Right will see it as confirmation and propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 14December 14, 2023 2:40 AM

"And right now, in real life, we HAVE MAGAts, ...etc" the "have" was missing.

by Anonymousreply 15December 14, 2023 2:42 AM

It looks awful. But will get critical acclaim if presents only the semblance of a clever metaphor and decent 🎭 performances.

by Anonymousreply 16December 14, 2023 2:43 AM

It’s interesting but it’s not believable because MAGA are all talk. Even the insurrection was embarrassing. A bunch of fat old white trash acting like teenagers who broke into their high school and tried to vandalize it.

A scarier story would be mentally ill radical left Gen Z non-binaries being brainwashed into Islam and becoming suicide bombing domestic terrorists.

by Anonymousreply 17December 14, 2023 2:51 AM

R17 I don't think that would be the case if there was in fact a Civil War. There are people with military backgrounds who train regularly who have weapons stockpiled and if there were an actual civil war they'd be "ready.". The old fat guys would be cheering them on.

by Anonymousreply 18December 14, 2023 2:53 AM

R14 my grandfather, who died nearly a decade ago in his eighties, once said that if there ever was another Civil War between Republicans and Democrats that the former would easily win because:

1) Republicans have stockpiled big guns and they know how to use them and have been training for decades, whereas Democrats have demonized guns and in protest have refused to own them or even take shooting lessons

2) masculine men normally identify as conservative and tend to be in the military and police force, which would give Republicans a huge advantage

by Anonymousreply 19December 14, 2023 3:07 AM

That could very well be, R19.

I also remember all of the fat, out of breath bubbas storming the Capitol.

by Anonymousreply 20December 14, 2023 3:19 AM

R4 Do you think it serves as a cathartic release that people can substitute for the real thing? Like if there was just a movie about storming the Capitol maybe people would have felt some sort of release to not actually set out to do it?

Or maybe it opens a floodgate and ups people thinking it's a good idea. I'm hoping people will see it and be like ok, none of that please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 14, 2023 3:23 AM

I like Kirsten Dunst as an actor. She's under appreciated. So will see this if only because she's in it.

by Anonymousreply 22December 14, 2023 3:26 AM

r22, me too

by Anonymousreply 23December 14, 2023 3:27 AM

Oh dear fucking god, enough with the "Republicans win a civil war because super-duper masculinity" horseshit.

A civil war in this country would be beyond ugly, but based on the performance I've seen from Meal Team Six so far I have my doubts they're prepared to successfully defeat the US government.

by Anonymousreply 24December 14, 2023 3:41 AM

[quote]I also remember all of the fat, out of breath bubbas storming the Capitol.

Meal Team Six!

by Anonymousreply 25December 14, 2023 3:44 AM

R19 They’re not actually masculine though! Their idea of masculinity is what 8 year old boys playing GI Joe think is masculinity.

by Anonymousreply 26December 14, 2023 3:58 AM

And to add to the response of R19.

The Insurrection was what the conservatives can do.

The George Floyd summer is what liberals can do.

Angry Libs would scorch the earth before Republicans could pull any triggers lol.

by Anonymousreply 27December 14, 2023 4:04 AM

[quote] lol

LoL! :)

by Anonymousreply 28December 14, 2023 4:08 AM

Republicans are as stupid as cheese. It would not be possible for them to mount a fighting force.

by Anonymousreply 29December 14, 2023 4:42 AM

OP thanks for posting….scary as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 30December 14, 2023 4:47 AM

My only concern is that a two hours movie might not be enough to showcase a modern civil war . It should be a mini series

by Anonymousreply 31December 14, 2023 4:50 AM

The trailer makes it generic civil war, not MAGA vs sane people, by saying Texas and California join up. Since that’s not happening in this lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 32December 14, 2023 12:10 PM

The visual of the president (I assume) getting dragged out from underneath his table in the Oval Office is quite harrowing. As much as I would have enjoyed the schadenfreude of seeing that happen to Trump on Biden's inauguration day, it's perhaps for the best for the country that it did not. There are some Rubicons that just can't be crossed, otherwise you end up with what's in this movie.

The premise intrigues me though, because this doesn't seem like a simple rehash of the deplorable states seceding. There's apparently the Western Forces who have seceded as well, in addition to the Florida Alliance. Now that's peculiar.

by Anonymousreply 33December 14, 2023 12:25 PM

I worry about anything that might legitimize the extremists who are trying to destroy our country. Trump has made no secret of the purges he intends to conduct and the hate towards various groups he incites and supports.

by Anonymousreply 34December 14, 2023 12:29 PM

R34 here. What I mean is there's a huge difference between the video of a mob storming our capitol under Trump's direction, which clearly horrified most people. It was real. A movie is a different thing altogether.

by Anonymousreply 35December 14, 2023 12:31 PM

We do not need shit like this

by Anonymousreply 36December 14, 2023 12:33 PM

Comment from a props dept guy on Reddit.

[quote]We shot this during 2022 and kept saying on set that we expected it to come out around the election. Some scenes felt a little too real in a horrifying way, despite seeing all the cameras and smoke machines and stunt guys. For some reason, it felt more real than anything I've ever worked on.

by Anonymousreply 37December 14, 2023 12:38 PM

I doubt that MAGAs and other right wingers will see this film. They might complain about it on social but that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 38December 14, 2023 12:39 PM

Apparently Offerman is on his third term in this movie, and California and Texas are allies. So hopefully that'll put some distance between the movie and our reality.

by Anonymousreply 39December 14, 2023 12:41 PM

Wrong R38, they'll watch it because it legitimizes them. Even if they're on the losing side. They are not well acquainted with reality.

by Anonymousreply 40December 14, 2023 12:41 PM

These are the four factions fighting against each other. So, completely fictitious. I doubt the MAGAs will be able to cream themselves over this one when they see the nonbinary forces of California with painted nails and green hair take over the White House.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 14, 2023 12:45 PM

What’s so Civil about War anyways?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 14, 2023 1:04 PM

r40 it's worth nothing that reactionaries love american history x - they see it as a movie about a hypermasculine hero who gets cucked by the government and jews leading to his younger brother getting killed by a subhuman. they don't see subtext or care about the messaging, they just get excited about the aesthetics of power and violence.

by Anonymousreply 43December 14, 2023 1:33 PM

I worry about people who think movies will fix problems.

by Anonymousreply 44December 14, 2023 1:48 PM

r43 Same for that V for Vendetta movie, QAnoners love that shit for all the wrong reasons.

by Anonymousreply 45December 14, 2023 2:00 PM

The thing about MAGAts is they spent the equivalent to a house payment on guns, ammo and accessories. They are dying to use them somewhere other than the shooting range, where the only thing they're getting is embarrassed by their shitty marksmanship and a case of lead poisoning. They armed themselves to the teeth to fight a fantasy of a Big Black Home Invader who never comes. They've upped the fantasy to being a Good Guy with a Gun in a mass shooting and they're never lucky enough to be a bystander.

What's the point of having an arsenal if you never get to kill anything? They are absolutely itching to do it. Couple that with the absolute batshit beliefs and things that have no basis in reality that gets spoonfed to them by conspiracy youtubes and it's shocking they don't go off more often

by Anonymousreply 46December 14, 2023 2:01 PM

I'm not worried about this movie inspiring the magat morons to take back the country. BUT what they absolutely WILL do is point to this movie and tell their idiot base that this is what will happen if we let the communist dems continue to win elections. And that will be the cue for them to arm up

by Anonymousreply 47December 14, 2023 2:11 PM

Ah a Xmas movie!

by Anonymousreply 48December 14, 2023 2:14 PM

We need movies like Babbit, skeevy evangelicals having affairs, abortions, being pedophiles. Dramatic versions of current real life stories.

by Anonymousreply 49December 14, 2023 2:14 PM

This is written and directed by Alex Garland. For that alone, I'm interested.

by Anonymousreply 50December 14, 2023 2:17 PM

Movies like this inspire extremists they don't deter them.

by Anonymousreply 51December 14, 2023 3:03 PM

It's positively terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 52December 14, 2023 3:12 PM

I have two comments.

1) I rode with a veterans' MC motorcycle club (as opposed to RC "riding club" -- big difference) for about a year before I got tired of their bullying and left. Those guys (and many like them) really do have entire arsenals in their homes. One guy was even bragging to me that he owned live hand grenades and often carried one in his pocket. I'm taking about guys who have hundreds of guns and enough ammo to last for years. I just met a nice guy, (a well-educated retired military contractor who's the husband of an acquaintance), who was an NRA competitive shooter who even re-loads his own brass to make bullets. In theory, as long as he has metal and gunpowder, he'll never have to buy ammo again. So indeed, there are guys just salivating to use these weapons on real/perceived enemies -- otherwise, why did they spend all that $?

2) I live five miles from a free outdoor firing range. The guys akin to those I described above (and worse) go there to practice. Even my neighbors (who are pretty tough guys and also own plenty of guns) are afraid to go there because of the even MORE creepy guys who shoot there. That's why my neighbors practice shooting in their backyards out over the swamp not knowing (or caring) who or what might be in the woods on the other side of the water.

Living here for the last seven years (and counting) has been a true educational experience. I have written here before that few of you gentlemen would survive for long in my neighborhood. OTOH, why would you want to?

My point is, there are more MAGAts and other crazies out there who are fully locked and loaded and are dying (no pun intended) to kill people. Ignore or scoff at them them at your peril.

by Anonymousreply 53December 14, 2023 3:32 PM

I agree, R53, and now with social media, conspiracy websites and just the internet in general, it is much easier for scattered pockets of nut jobs to find one another and put together something resembling a flash mob.

by Anonymousreply 54December 14, 2023 3:46 PM

Alex Garland makes great, interesting movies. So I'll be seeing this. California and Texas joining forces, though, sounds a little implausible.

by Anonymousreply 55December 14, 2023 4:17 PM

The Exarchate of Austin teaming up with California, now that I'd buy. With the rest of Texas, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 56December 14, 2023 4:21 PM

Texas and California are on the same side?

How could that happen?

by Anonymousreply 57December 14, 2023 5:01 PM

Wolverines!

by Anonymousreply 58December 14, 2023 5:02 PM

r57 I suspect the two richest states might have teamed up to take on the third-party (possibly libertarian) president Offerman who has exceeded his term limits. The Florida Alliance is obviously where most of the deplorables are. The alliance stretching across the country from New England to Arizona is most unusual however, as is the PNW teaming up with the Dakotas and the like.

I think this was all purposefully and carefully done to not make it come across as simply the libs versus the cons. Garland knows what happened to that movie with Betty Gilpin where they were hunting deplorables – it was denounced by both the left and the right. I enjoyed it, personally.

by Anonymousreply 59December 14, 2023 5:14 PM

R57? The other thing I thought of is that so many Californians move to Texas that the populations have merged. That's happening (CA -> TX) as we speak, you know.

by Anonymousreply 60December 14, 2023 5:29 PM

I'm guessing an accurate synopsis is: All southern states = racist and "bad", New York and California = noble and "good". The president is Republican and evil and the progressive forces of righteousness will save the union!

Yeah. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 61December 14, 2023 5:30 PM

As horrible as Trump is, and I pray he gets nowhere near the White House againg, the media is whipping the country up into such a frenzy that if he DOES get elected, there will be a civil war based solely on the paranoia the media has created among us all.

by Anonymousreply 62December 14, 2023 5:31 PM

r61 How on earth did you get that from the trailer or the speculation in this thread OR the map of the alliances at r41 which is featured in the movie? No offence, but use your brain for five fucking minutes instead of immediately acting outraged.

by Anonymousreply 63December 14, 2023 5:35 PM

r62, I totally agree

by Anonymousreply 64December 14, 2023 5:44 PM

In reality it isn't just Southern states, it is the "heartland" too. It's places like Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri. Lots of crazy people out there.

by Anonymousreply 65December 14, 2023 5:46 PM

R62 they said the same thing in 1933 too in Germany. I live in rural Indiana and I can assure you that there are lots of people who are ready for this to happen. It’s frightening and amazing at the same time that people on the coasts have no idea what is coming.

by Anonymousreply 66December 14, 2023 5:54 PM

Sooo where do we go to evade the crazy trigger happy foolios?

by Anonymousreply 67December 14, 2023 5:59 PM

There are towns, even houses, that straddle the US /Canadian border. Might want to invest in some northern real estate.

by Anonymousreply 68December 14, 2023 7:52 PM

Yeah but the Canucks in those rural border towns are often quasi-Trump-adjacent too

by Anonymousreply 69December 14, 2023 8:03 PM

R67

There will be no where for you to hide no where for you to run. We are coming after you. You are fucked.

by Anonymousreply 70December 14, 2023 8:10 PM

[quote]In reality it isn't just Southern states, it is the "heartland" too. It's places like Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri. Lots of crazy people out there.

The South is purple and gerrymandered to vote red.

The Midwest is solid red.

by Anonymousreply 71December 14, 2023 8:22 PM

[quote]A civil war in this country would be beyond ugly, but based on the performance I've seen from Meal Team Six so far I have my doubts they're prepared to successfully defeat the US government.

You're assuming the U.S. government unites. And that armed forces remain loyal. Sure about that?

by Anonymousreply 72December 14, 2023 8:44 PM

Why would we need a civil war? I think both sides would be happy to kiss each other goodbye. Later, they can trade with each other. What's the big deal?

by Anonymousreply 73December 14, 2023 8:50 PM

If you listen to magats, they're amped up for a race war. I don't think black people will go as quietly as they did in Tulsa, New York City, Milwaukee or Forsyth County.

by Anonymousreply 74December 14, 2023 9:26 PM

It's a propaganda film with the purpose of demonizing white men.

What a smart thing for the "progressives" to do.

by Anonymousreply 75December 14, 2023 9:39 PM

[quote]It's a propaganda film with the purpose of demonizing white men.

When did you see it, r75?

by Anonymousreply 76December 14, 2023 9:44 PM

R76 Watch the trailer. Anyone with half a brain can see.

by Anonymousreply 77December 14, 2023 9:47 PM

[quote]Anyone with half a brain can see

I see r77...you have half a brain.

by Anonymousreply 78December 14, 2023 9:50 PM

All of the bad guys in the trailer are white. There will be no evil blacks. Hollywood won't go there. And of course, as you see the only good civilians the trailer focuses on are two men of color. It's a propaganda film with the purpose of demonizing white men.

by Anonymousreply 79December 14, 2023 10:03 PM

There is a myth that liberals don't have guns. I have a relative who is center leaning, sane Democrat who also has a stockpile of guns and ammo.

by Anonymousreply 80December 14, 2023 10:47 PM

[quote]The Midwest is solid red.

Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 81December 14, 2023 10:50 PM

This looks like one of those shitty movies you would see on FOX Streaming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 14, 2023 11:10 PM

Texas and California seceding together is not plausible. They're deeply at odds. Nor is it likely that violence would erupt along state lines. The American two-party system isn't particularly divided in terms of states. All of it would occur in patches, in the streets, almost house-to-house, community-to-community, like Star Trek's 'Red Hour.' Most of the vulnerable - children, the poor, the elderly, the disabled, and unfortunately, the simply unprepared, would become casualties almost immediately.

There's two plausible scenarios under which this kind of violence would break out.

𝐎𝐧𝐞: Democrats win in 2024, and MAGAts all over the country start staging terrorist attacks on government offices, taking perceived liberals (members of the media, politicians, state officials) hostage, and/or killing them. It would not be quickly put down, but would continue to rage in random spurts for years.

𝐓𝐰𝐨: Trump gets into office in 2024, and immediately declares martial law, and begins using the cooperating members of forces of the federal government to hunt down and arrest his 'enemies' - members of the media, politicians, state officials, and anyone who resists following his orders. A lot of Democrats would disappear. It's probable that Trump would invite a military presence from Russia - whatever they have left that they can spare - to enter the US in order to assist in 'pacifying' the civilian populace, and in putting down whatever civilian police or military members who would not cooperate with his complete takeover into dictatorship. The Constitution would be abolished, and Trump would impose oaths of loyalty upon American citizens. Worldwide, Trump would begin issuing ultimatums and dropping nukes on cities and countries who do not accept his terms.

Either one of these scenarios would be a complete shitstorm from which the US would never recover.

I don't think this film will be helpful, because it will help encourage in the public mind the inevitability of this kind of conflict, and will offer distorted ideas about what such a conflict would entail, and what the issues really are - especially the notion that the conflict is necessary, and winnable. It's not.

by Anonymousreply 83December 14, 2023 11:48 PM

R83 The Rich Americans would also flee the United States for countries like Sweden and Norway.

by Anonymousreply 84December 15, 2023 1:37 AM

No doubt, R84.

by Anonymousreply 85December 15, 2023 5:30 AM

If the war ever starts to unfold the USA military will step in and takeover. And yes most, not all, of the AD military will follow their officers. Because they will believe in them and stability more than the fringe right or left that are in the streets fighting. Stability will be the goal.

Some ad military will of course take to the streets on one side or the other.

If the right wins the next election I’d see a more right wing long term sorta kinda democracy in that there will still be voting of some sort. But it will be very controlled,

But let’s face it no one here wants a democracy. Because at the foundation of democracy is the fact that you will lose elections. The left and the right today would rather see massive deaths to the other side than the prospect of losing the next election. And both sides see their side as having the truth and the other side full of anti American traitors who should die.

It is what it is

by Anonymousreply 86December 15, 2023 11:03 AM

The movie looks good.

by Anonymousreply 87December 15, 2023 11:18 AM

People aren’t going to start killing each other about Donald Trump. The President is still limited by other branches of government. The army supports the Constitution. I wouldn’t lose sleep over this.

by Anonymousreply 88December 15, 2023 11:23 AM

[quote] The army supports the Constitution

We can fix that.

by Anonymousreply 89December 15, 2023 12:10 PM

I told my siblings to get ready to go. They agree. 2024 will tell the tale. We are all eligible for dual citizenship in Europe, and one of us already lives in country for their job. Next year may be the year for us to leave. If the Extremists take over, we are out of here. I have no problem living in a colder climate. Personally I think we ought to convince the Extremists to flee to Hungary.

by Anonymousreply 90December 15, 2023 1:05 PM

California and Texas would never be allies. Total bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 91December 15, 2023 10:16 PM

They probably explain the California and Texas alliance.

Right now, it sounds completely implausible, but who knows, maybe in the movie it makes sense

by Anonymousreply 92December 15, 2023 11:30 PM

I didn't realize there were so many people keen to showcase their limited imaginations by herp derping over the (unknown) politics of two states in a fictional film. But nothing should surprise.

by Anonymousreply 93December 16, 2023 12:37 AM

[Quote] herp derping

Going in the lexicon

by Anonymousreply 94December 16, 2023 1:28 AM

Wow. I avoided this thread and that trailer until now.

I am a pussy because I got tears in my eyes by the last 30 seconds of that trailer.

This film is going to be something else-

I am very glad that Kirsten is in it, as it gives some level of comfort, because I just love that girl.

by Anonymousreply 95December 16, 2023 7:01 PM

California and Texas are the two states with a large population of citizens who would prefer to break off from the US and form their own countries, governed by their own legislatures and judiciaries. They also, along with Florida and New York, could survive just fine as sovereign nations. I could see them ganging up if it meant helping to kill the union so that they can achieve independence. Then the alliance would probably break down afterward.

by Anonymousreply 96December 16, 2023 7:41 PM

CA and TX? Not seeing it.

TX and inland CA? Abso-fucking-lutely.

by Anonymousreply 97December 16, 2023 7:50 PM

Politics and war make strange bedfellows.

by Anonymousreply 98December 16, 2023 9:00 PM

Hawaii will return to being its own Kingdom.

by Anonymousreply 99December 17, 2023 4:41 AM

I always wonder why Magats think libs are triggered or afraid of them. They are far ugly morons who would get creamed if a war ever broke out. Liberals don’t know how to hack? Or own guns? Or are afraid of some fat white fuck with a swastika? Gtfoh.

Anecdotal evidence: I was in a line w a bunch of magats who were trying to smile and engage with me. I stared them down and didn’t say one sentence to them and said to my husbear, “fucking fatass dirtbags” - they said nothing

Another white bloated retard on the street said something racist to me. (I’m mixed) and I yelled back “eat a dick you fat Nazi fuck.” He looked scared, looked at his feet and ran off.

Cab driver who said he loves Dump. (Fucking dumpers are like evangelicals they have to tell you they love him). I said “I hope he fucking dues. If I could kill him right now I would”. He said nothing.

TLDR: these people are weird, loser cowards and they would get their asses kicked into the next universe if they started any shit.

by Anonymousreply 100December 19, 2023 6:44 AM

R100

A star in his own self written, self acted, self directed , very fictional movie.

Kind of like supergirl or Stallone at their best.

by Anonymousreply 101December 19, 2023 10:53 AM

[quote] Florida...could survive just fine as [a] sovereign nation...

Ha!

by Anonymousreply 102December 19, 2023 2:53 PM

It’s all true. R101. They don’t say one peep if you look them straight in the eye and let them know liberals are not cowards and are ready to beat their fat asses into the dirt. Remember how scared that family of magats were when they wore their red klan hats in Chicago on the subway? They pissed themselves because everyone screamed at them. These fucks are dumb dirtbags and nobody should be afraid of them.

They get especially upset when you call them redneck or dirtbag when they’re driving a $60k truck.

by Anonymousreply 103December 21, 2023 5:01 AM

Unlike the first Civil War, in a second civil war everyone wants to be in the United States. They just want the problem causers to secede. If the Pacific coastal areas, Minnesota, Chicago, NYC and New England were to voluntarily secede, there would be long term peace on the continent.

by Anonymousreply 104December 21, 2023 5:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105January 9, 2024 9:18 PM

A zombie apocalypse is more likely than an alliance between CA and TX.

by Anonymousreply 106January 9, 2024 9:50 PM

[quote] [R10] they'll think "awesome, i can't wait". they don't think like you.

Indeed, so much of MAGA America is undermedicated and lost. They're nihilists who want to drag the rest of us into the grave with them.

by Anonymousreply 107January 9, 2024 9:54 PM

[quote]Remember how scared that family of magats were when they wore their red klan hats in Chicago on the subway?

Details please.

by Anonymousreply 108January 9, 2024 9:55 PM

I read comments online from them. They really think that liberals don't own guns. I think they'll be surprised at how many armed liberal households there are.

by Anonymousreply 109January 9, 2024 9:59 PM

[quote] I'm guessing an accurate synopsis is: All southern states = racist and "bad", New York and California = noble and "good". The president is Republican and evil and the progressive forces of righteousness will save the union!

Well, that is more or less how it went down last time so there is some precedent.

by Anonymousreply 110January 9, 2024 9:59 PM

There will never be another Civil war in this country. The only reason there was one to begin with was because it was between the North and the South and chances were, if you lived in either of those parts of the country, everyone around you believed as you did.

Today the county is more of a melting pot where you might be MAGA but your sister or brother or mom or dad are liberal. Your neighbors to either side of you might think differently than you or the same. You want to sign up to kill members of your family or the guy who lives next to you? Good luck with that. It's not ever going to happen. There is no way to have a Civil war today with how much we are all intertwined. We might have skirmishes from time to time between certain beliefs but war on a grand scale won't happen.

In my family, everyone is MAGA except my sister and I. I highly doubt that my two brothers would be willing to shoot us...first of all they are fat and can barely walk let alone run and even though they have guns and I don't, they wouldn't be able to kill me because they care about me and I care about them.

It's not black and white anymore and geographically, it isn't feasible. But this movie looks interesting.

by Anonymousreply 111January 9, 2024 10:27 PM

Spoiler alert: Portland, SF and Seattle secede from the Union, but "ironically".

by Anonymousreply 112January 9, 2024 10:50 PM

[quote]If the Pacific coastal areas, Minnesota, Chicago, NYC and New England were to voluntarily secede, there would be long term peace on the continent.

If any of those areas would secede, there would be chaos around the country. Those are the areas with most of the brain power, scientific know-how and technical capability (tech/biotech/pharma).

by Anonymousreply 113January 9, 2024 11:52 PM

R113, but they’re also the areas that cause all the strife and division in the country. All the technical ability they control won’t vanish. It will just be on the other side of the border and trade between countries will continue to provide everything that people have today.

by Anonymousreply 114January 10, 2024 3:15 AM

The south still hasn't come to terms with losing. So fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 115January 10, 2024 3:23 AM

R115 hmmm who does that sound like...

by Anonymousreply 116January 10, 2024 11:14 AM

I'm really looking forward to this.

by Anonymousreply 117January 10, 2024 11:16 AM

I couldn't sit through the vocal fry.

by Anonymousreply 118January 10, 2024 5:18 PM

The South’s problem is not refusing to recognize they lost. It’s that they don’t acknowledge what they fought for.

by Anonymousreply 119January 10, 2024 5:21 PM

Are you kidding r114? Please tell me you are. The states that contribute the most chaos by far are the far-right leaning states. Those that have put such wonderful upstanding citizens such as Lauren "I can't stay out of a wild barfight" Boebert and the ever-pleasant and kind Marjorie Taylor Green. Never mind all of those pacifist, peaceful "tourists" who were just grazing through our Capitol on Jan 6th a few years ago, looking at statuary and oil paintings. Where did they mostly come from? Not from NY-Boston-San Fran or LA.

And yes, a lot of the technical capability in the country would vanish overnight if those areas seceded. Not all of it, but a lot of it. What country is going to send the remaining US their technology lol? For what huge price.

by Anonymousreply 120January 10, 2024 8:40 PM

R118, vocal fry?

by Anonymousreply 121January 10, 2024 10:03 PM

It hasn't even been released R118.

by Anonymousreply 122January 10, 2024 10:07 PM

Watch the trailer to hear the vocal fry.

by Anonymousreply 123January 10, 2024 10:14 PM

Your only posts, r104/r114 ?

by Anonymousreply 124January 10, 2024 10:20 PM

New trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125February 20, 2024 3:52 PM

Too close to reality!

I can't even watch the films NETWORK and BRAZIL, because our reality is too closely aligned with these outrageous parodies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126February 20, 2024 3:59 PM

Whoever rallies the fentanyl zombie masses to their side will win

by Anonymousreply 127February 20, 2024 4:05 PM

I like Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons as an acting couple. Hope they both survive the war but their filmography suggests otherwise

by Anonymousreply 128February 20, 2024 4:12 PM

Had a friend who worked on this, and she said it was the hardest job that she worked on, mentally and physically. I like Alex's films (more than Ari's), so I will be watching this.

And for those who don't know, outside of L.A. and S.F. (and San Diego is turning purple), the rest of California is red. We're #16 out of 50 in hate crimes.

by Anonymousreply 129February 20, 2024 5:03 PM

I think they get aggressive when there are several bunched together. They need the pack. But alone? Hey, go for it.

by Anonymousreply 130February 20, 2024 5:06 PM

[quote][R14] my grandfather, who died nearly a decade ago in his eighties, once said that if there ever was another Civil War between Republicans and Democrats that the former would easily win

R19 Again!

by Anonymousreply 131February 20, 2024 6:28 PM

[QUOTE] Had a friend who worked on this

Nice humblebrag.

by Anonymousreply 132February 20, 2024 7:20 PM

That's not a humblebrag, r132. It's LA. Everyone knows someone who works in film. Hell, I work in film.

by Anonymousreply 133February 20, 2024 7:50 PM

YOu know there are several movies out here older movies and not so old movies, that talk about a "take over"" or an invasion of America by Russia or whatever. They are poorly made with a cast that probably needed work. But this one has Kristen Dunst and Jesse Plemons who are pretty well known working actors. And it seems so totally unnecessary given what is going on. I know I will not watch it.it hits too close to home.

by Anonymousreply 134February 20, 2024 8:28 PM

Dunst and Claire Danes suck the oxygen out of every project they’re in.

by Anonymousreply 135February 20, 2024 9:05 PM

I think it looks good. Probably a wake up call watch before the election.

by Anonymousreply 136February 20, 2024 9:33 PM

r132, yes as r133 said, I work in film, mostly as a Department Head. So it's natural that I know other Department Heads. It's not a secret society or anything.

by Anonymousreply 137February 20, 2024 9:53 PM

The Handmaid's Tale did it better.

by Anonymousreply 138February 20, 2024 10:32 PM

You haven’t seen it yet, R138.

by Anonymousreply 139February 22, 2024 3:55 PM

Do you just assume when you see a fat person, that they’re a Trumper?

I’m overweight (not obese if that distinction even matters), I live in the south and I have never tried tell the world how special I am via hair dye and piercings; and I have gone toe to toe with Trumpers, too.

But it seems like a those on the coasts and maybe even more, those liberals in the rural states who wannabe sophisticated Coasters, think they can tell a Trumper by looking at them, even without their paraphernalia.

by Anonymousreply 140February 22, 2024 4:28 PM

Now that I've seen the second trailer, it looks stupid. I'll pass.

There will never be a more realistic war movie than Platoon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141February 22, 2024 4:36 PM

[quote] I’m overweight (not obese if that distinction even matters)

Is your distinction that overweight people can at least still walk to the refrigerator?

by Anonymousreply 142February 22, 2024 5:11 PM

R141

Lots of first hand experience? Platoon got lots right and was well done. And well it was a movie about an actual civil war

But the most realistic treatment of ground combat IME is The Pacific. The most realistic treatment of air combat is IMO Masters of the Air

by Anonymousreply 143February 22, 2024 5:30 PM

r141, I think Full Metal Jacket is better than Platoon. Platoon was great but Full Metal Jacket showed what it took to make those soldiers into people who could kill other people.

by Anonymousreply 144February 22, 2024 8:04 PM

R140 WTF? Put down the fork while you are typing.

by Anonymousreply 145February 22, 2024 8:30 PM

R144

I am not disagreeing with you but it may sound that way.

The Marines are the only military service not having a massive recruiting problem. And that is because there is a certain type of person that leans Corps vs USAF technical person or vs Navy (non seal) . And those people are flocking to the Marine recruiter.

The Marines are not turning those youngsters into killers they are giving those future killers the training to be good killers. They show up at the USMC wanting Dress Blues and a CAR and a confirmed kill.

Something who is really adverse to killing would make a piss poor Marine and a really poor infantry

Both quality movies but the Pacifism is still the best tv or movie look at ground combat ever

by Anonymousreply 146February 23, 2024 12:38 PM

I hate insulting people with silly corrections that they don’t need but in this case

The Pacific not Pacifism

by Anonymousreply 147February 23, 2024 12:41 PM

There's a ton of Trumpista gymbros out there, R140.

by Anonymousreply 148February 23, 2024 1:23 PM

Do we have someone from the film’s PR department spamming us?

by Anonymousreply 149April 7, 2024 11:45 PM

Is it about me? I bet it's about me!

by Anonymousreply 150April 7, 2024 11:54 PM

r146, the men in FMJ were not volunteers, they were drafted into the Marines. The film was based on the book, "Dispatches" by Michael Herr which is an outstanding book.

I haven't seen The Pacific but I'll check it out! Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 151April 8, 2024 8:31 PM

Just watched the cam version. I found the framing device of journos travelling through the country beyond tedious, I thought this would be more of an action movie. Casting is pretty iffy across the board, even Dunst bugged me. And can she please stop working together with her husband, it's not cute anymore.

All in all, a huge talky disappointment. I can see why Garland is butthurt, saying this might be his final film. He really thought this slow nonsense was something profound when all most people wanted to see were just some cool battles between libs and deplorables. Boo.

by Anonymousreply 152April 10, 2024 5:01 AM

Thanks, R152. I'll wait for it to stream; I was tempted. But I've usually been disappointed by Garland's films

by Anonymousreply 153April 10, 2024 5:11 AM

R153 Same here

by Anonymousreply 154April 10, 2024 1:30 PM

Kirstin Dunst & Jesse Plemons: Box Office Poison

by Anonymousreply 155April 10, 2024 2:51 PM

screw this - I still want World War Z Part 2...

by Anonymousreply 156April 10, 2024 5:28 PM

Notorious transphobe Helen Lewis and stochastic terrorist Andy Ngo get thanked in the credits to 'Civil War', in case you were thinking about seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 157April 10, 2024 6:24 PM

I gave this a B-. Interesting concept, but a near miss- partly because try to avoid politics. Why did the country divide? There's some good special effects. But having the two female photographers just angling around for a good shot of the carnage gets old real fast. If the writers had made them 3-dimensional characters- perhaps greedy and/or career driven- instead of just Virtuous, it might have been more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 158April 12, 2024 5:53 PM

I have zero desire to see this.

by Anonymousreply 159April 12, 2024 7:06 PM

Expected to be the most successful A24 film with a #1 opening.

by Anonymousreply 160April 12, 2024 9:54 PM

[quote] stochastic terrorist Andy Ngo

🙄 We know that you sit down to pee.

by Anonymousreply 161April 12, 2024 9:54 PM

[quote] Kirstin Dunst & Jesse Plemons: Box Office Poison

‘CIVIL WAR’ is tracking to be A24’s first ever film to be #1 domestically on an opening weekend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162April 12, 2024 9:55 PM

I’m glad America is catching a huge buzz — it needs to chill.

by Anonymousreply 163April 12, 2024 10:04 PM

Plemons' brief role was the best thing about the movie. His racist redneck character was a chillingly accurate Deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 164April 12, 2024 11:41 PM

We went to see it tonight. It made me uncomfortable in the same way The Zone of Interest did. I have to hand it to A24 - they know how to make movies that make you feel uncomfortable about mankind.

by Anonymousreply 165April 13, 2024 1:45 AM

A24 makes movies that are interesting, but you'd never want to watch them more than once.

Is it really a good movie if you'd never want to watch it again?

by Anonymousreply 166April 13, 2024 1:54 AM

The film features a sniper with trans flag colors on the side of their hair and trans color fingernails. Some are asking what exactly is this supposed to mean?

The Hollywood Reporter describes the scene this way:

[quote] Why ‘Civil War’ Is Making (Liberal) Audiences So Uncomfortable: Alex Garland's latest feature is difficult to watch because it does not give people clearly defined sides to root for (or against).

[quote] ....So, then the question becomes, is Civil War liberal enough? And it’s that question that I find most interesting because such designators of liberal or conservative are jumbled to the point where not even the soldiers in the film know who they’re fighting. A scene in which two marksmen are pinned to the ground by a sniper hiding in a manor highlights this.

[quote] The soldiers on the ground, one with dyed hair, and the other with painted blue and pink fingernails, immediately conjuring images of the trans flag, are asked who they’re shooting at. They tell Joel they don’t know; they’re shooting back because they were shot at. Joel asks them if they know the shooter is on the opposite side, and suggests that it might be an ally. And one soldier responds again that he doesn’t know. The shooter fired and now they’re firing back. And the audiences doesn’t know either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167April 13, 2024 2:15 AM

The link for the Hollywood Reporter article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168April 13, 2024 2:16 AM

[quote]The film features a sniper with trans flag colors on the side of their hair and trans color fingernails. Some are asking what exactly is this supposed to mean?

I don't think it meant anything. If the were to be signifiers of "wokeness" one would not have called Wagner Moura's character retarded. I could see them being Antifa types.

by Anonymousreply 169April 13, 2024 4:38 AM

R167 - within that scene, you’re also reminded of the supposed “war on Christmas”. There was a lot of that in the movie - the war on journalism, China, etc. I think thematically it was about all these wars being fought where it all really does start to blur - just a lot of manufactured anger and rage, propagated by extremists.

by Anonymousreply 170April 13, 2024 12:52 PM

How long before it’s available on streaming? One week or two?

by Anonymousreply 171April 13, 2024 4:30 PM

R171 by the summer, it will be on HBO

by Anonymousreply 172April 13, 2024 10:00 PM

Doubtful, r172.

by Anonymousreply 173April 14, 2024 1:02 AM

This looks great! I'll be watching it. I saw Kirsten Dunst and other cast members being interviewed about it this morning.

by Anonymousreply 174April 15, 2024 2:29 AM

R167 wokies have no problem with stereotypes and negative portrayals of ALL white straight or even gay males but the precious minorities have to all be heroes in every movie now.

by Anonymousreply 175April 15, 2024 4:44 AM

R175 = racist moron making up shit to be mad about in his head

by Anonymousreply 176April 15, 2024 5:04 AM

R176 if you’re blind to the Nazi-esque seeds currently being planted about “ytpipo”, then you’re biased and probably benefiting and incentivized to push the agenda.

by Anonymousreply 177April 15, 2024 5:21 AM

I saw this film this weekend, and it was absolutely chilling. The storytelling is a bit all over the place, with no real plot beyond a road trip, but the world it builds is really vivid and convincing.

It doesn’t really present good versus evil, left versus right. It’s more complicated. It’s insinuated that one side has turned the US armed forces against the population, and the other side is depicted as shooting unarmed people who are trying to surrender.

The sight of DC being stormed seemed scarily real, in a way that even the storming of the Capitol did not. In this film, it’s a clear military assault on a crumbling regime. There’s a sense that if an army is that close to the Supreme Court and the White House, the battle is already over.

It’s hard to work out what the film is trying to say exactly, but it left me feeling that the fragmentation it presents is precisely what it is warning us (as members of democratic societies) to avoid. In our democracies (I’m in the UK), it’s easy to demonise and be at each other's throats, but we need to at least commit to solving our battles through politics and strive to fight fairly. Otherwise, people lose faith and turn to the extremes.

by Anonymousreply 178April 15, 2024 5:40 AM

I like Alex Garland, but judging by the trailer, this looks shit

by Anonymousreply 179April 15, 2024 5:43 AM

I'm not R176 but you sound like a QAnon tard R177. Everything you say is instantly dismissible.

by Anonymousreply 180April 15, 2024 10:54 AM

In a real civil war bet on the side who is the most heavily armed and has the most training to use those arms.

Or as heard on DL——the right is full of disgusting haters, they all need to die.

The hate for a civil war is there but so far left and right are content to say nasty things about each other. May those days continue.

by Anonymousreply 181April 15, 2024 11:14 AM

It's gotten pretty solid reviews on RT - 82% critics from 292 reviews and 76% audience from 500+ verified ratings. So that's not too shabby.

I saw Alex Garland interviewed on PBS the other day and he says he deliberately designed the storyline so that the audience has to fill in the blanks and come to their own conclusions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182April 18, 2024 5:26 AM

I saw Civil War today and thought it was very good. The last 20 or so minutes - the Battle of Washington DC - is thrilling and horrifying at the same time. Excellent action-movie making.

The non-partisan nature of the plot is appealing. It was great to see a movie that wasn't trying to score points for one side or the othr but just portraying how awful a civil war in America really would be.

From the shallow end of the pool: I've never seen Wagner Moura before, but he was sexy as hell in this.

by Anonymousreply 183April 19, 2024 9:51 PM

I don't find the "non-partisan plot" to be appealing... I find it to be ludicrous and dangerous. ONE SIDE wants a replay of the civil war in order to drag this country backwards and destroy it. The two sides are NOT the same, and do NOT deserve "balanced coverage". This fake balance is why we're here, why we're on the precipice of disaster, and why we're losing rights, decency, and our democracy.

Fuck this false equivalency shit.

by Anonymousreply 184April 19, 2024 11:35 PM

You really don't understand the difference between entertainment and politics, do you, R184?

Civil War is not providing "balanced coverage" or advocating "false equivalency". It is portraying an America torn by a civil war that is, as far as the plot presents, divorced from the current polarized political situation.

If you are unable to put politics aside long enough to enjoy a movie or TV without needing to have it take sides, then I feel sorry for you.

by Anonymousreply 185April 19, 2024 11:41 PM

You really don't understand the fact that entertainment can shape ideas and narratives, do you? You really don't understand how entertainment has been used as propaganda throughout history, do you?

This movie does not exist in a vacuum.

I feel sorry for YOU, actually... being so fucking naive and oblivious.

by Anonymousreply 186April 20, 2024 3:00 AM

I found it interesting, boring, confounding and ultimately disappointing... but I will say that my dreams that night were filled with scenes from the film.

So something in it deeply disturbed and or resonated with me.

by Anonymousreply 187April 20, 2024 3:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!