Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Leave the World Behind (2023, Netflix)

Just finished watching this movie. Very curious to hear your thoughts, oh Critics of The Datalounge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357March 28, 2024 4:50 AM

OP I was just considering watching it, is it worth it?

by Anonymousreply 1December 8, 2023 11:17 PM

The novel was well-written. I wonder how true to it the movie is.

by Anonymousreply 2December 8, 2023 11:20 PM

Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 3December 8, 2023 11:20 PM

The white daughter was ugly and annoying AS FUCK.

by Anonymousreply 4December 9, 2023 1:54 AM

Don't spoil it, but is it worth watching?

... For the plot, not Ethan Hawke, you Ethan Hawke obsessives

If you exist

by Anonymousreply 5December 9, 2023 1:58 AM

NYT: ...leaves little room for imagination....

the movie plays like a bulleted list of everything wrong with America — fair enough — but hurled so relentlessly at the audience that you can only assume the goal is for anyone watching the movie to find something they agree with. In the onslaught, the narrative tension dulls into passivity, both for us and for the characters. Really, no one is in control, as one person says. No one is pulling the strings. And “the best even the most powerful people can hope for is a heads up.”

A more skillfully crafted movie might have been able to turn that sentiment into something more horror adjacent, or at least a little more discomfiting. But there’s a lot of over-signaling dialogue here.

Camerawork choices seem to suggest a third party is watching them — lots of showy overhead spiraling shots, repeated punch-outs to the earth floating in space — but have no narrative payoff. And though the main cast are accomplished, beautiful and intermittently interesting, they feel out of place in a movie that ought to have been a lot more scary, or a lot more subdued. Here, they feel stranded.

by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2023 3:09 AM

7/10 Wasn't crazy about the ending. The Friends obssesed daughter was annoying. Would generation alpha even like that show. Would've been far better if it was the Game of Thrones final season the daughter was missing. The movie wasn't as bad as that m night Shyamalan movie with Dave Bautista. Jonathan Groff and Ron weasely.

by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2023 4:27 AM

All 'kids' under 30 in movies these days are portrayed as petulant, whiny, humorless brats. Becuz, like, they're young!

by Anonymousreply 8December 9, 2023 4:45 AM

R1 it builds up for two hours, only to fizzle out in the last 5 minutes. Talk about an anti-climax.

by Anonymousreply 9December 9, 2023 8:15 AM

It was ok but I hated how abruptly the movie ended with the character I didn’t give a crap about.

by Anonymousreply 10December 9, 2023 8:52 AM

She sho wuz UGLY!

by Anonymousreply 11December 9, 2023 11:29 AM

Ehhh this trope has been too much.

by Anonymousreply 12December 9, 2023 2:45 PM

Despite the star-studded cast and Executive Producers Barack and Michelle Obama, this film had a low budget feel to it.

by Anonymousreply 13December 9, 2023 2:49 PM

The belligerent deer made no sense and added nothing to the storyline.

by Anonymousreply 14December 9, 2023 2:50 PM

That's what bothered me the most, R14: All this constant hinting at something supernatural, but in the end it was all just about an invasion.

by Anonymousreply 15December 9, 2023 3:28 PM

Every movie has to have supernatural undertones to it now. Audiences demand it.

by Anonymousreply 16December 9, 2023 3:32 PM

There was no ending, or end to the trite which wore thin over 2.5 hours of life I shall never get back. I got fucked over by the very same director after watching Mr Robot, he clearly thinks he's being all arty, in a Sixth Form College Media and Film course student way: "When you do a film, especially a mystery thriller, it sort of still ends on a question mark that you risk polarizing the audience. We shouldn't pull punches here because, like in life, we have to face ambiguities all the time. That was essential to the book and central to what I wanted to do in the film - there are no easy answers and solutions and we have to face that and go on regardless."

Fucking cunt.

by Anonymousreply 17December 9, 2023 4:16 PM

R8 Some of the kids are over 30, like the "16" year old son played by 33 year old Charlie Evans, which seems peak Hollywood (he's got a good skin care routine mind you).

by Anonymousreply 18December 9, 2023 4:19 PM

Julia was paid $25 million for this television movie. Think about that.

by Anonymousreply 19December 9, 2023 4:59 PM

Good find, R18. I did think he could pass for a bratty 16-18 y/o.

by Anonymousreply 20December 9, 2023 5:42 PM

The white daughter looks like a 43-year-old Jewish woman from Rye, NY.

by Anonymousreply 21December 9, 2023 5:44 PM

R7 would Julia Roberts’ character allow her 13 year old daughter to watch GOT? Doubtful. It’s a graphic series. Some of you clearly have no boundaries with children.

by Anonymousreply 22December 9, 2023 5:53 PM

R19 it’s a STREAMING movie. On Netflix. Not on television

by Anonymousreply 23December 9, 2023 5:54 PM

Oh brother. Do you really think NetFlix is above regular television?

by Anonymousreply 24December 9, 2023 5:58 PM

R24 whether they’re above tv or not means nothing. You said television. Netflix isn’t a television network.

by Anonymousreply 25December 9, 2023 6:02 PM

Crap is crap.

by Anonymousreply 26December 9, 2023 6:04 PM

R26 your comment wasn’t about the quality of the film. Your comment was about how much Roberts was paid for a “tv” movie. She was paid by NETFLIX for a streaming movie on their streaming platform.

by Anonymousreply 27December 9, 2023 6:12 PM

You mean overpaid right?

by Anonymousreply 28December 9, 2023 6:14 PM

R28 you can’t stay on topic, huh? Time to go to school. I know 13 year olds who are smarter than you. It’s embarrassing to interact with you.

by Anonymousreply 29December 9, 2023 6:17 PM

Then shut the fuck up, Nancy Pedantic. It’s still a shitty movie and she was grossly overpaid.

by Anonymousreply 30December 9, 2023 6:23 PM

R30 I didn’t know her pay affected your bank account so much.

by Anonymousreply 31December 9, 2023 6:26 PM

R22 R23 R24 R25 R27 R29

(Probably all the same person)

by Anonymousreply 32December 9, 2023 6:48 PM

R24 should not have been included in that line-up.

by Anonymousreply 33December 9, 2023 6:48 PM

Julia Roberts can't act and she and Hawke had zero chemistry. The direction was over the top and distracting. Not great by any stretch.

by Anonymousreply 34December 9, 2023 7:25 PM

R34 I can't think of anyone Ethan Hawke has "chemistry" with...of either sex. Having said that I found the character of Julia Roberts' daughter so annoying I wanted to slap her. I nearly fell off the sofa when Julia told the young Black woman she was 13 years old!!! If she had said she was 9 or 10 I'd have believed her. But 13? Horrible mothering and horrible child. The deer scared me but then nothing. And the ending? Holy shit I was pissed off. totally. Atrocious movie. Kevin Bacon, Mahershala Ali, Julia Roberts and Ethan Hawke went for a pay day, because all of them are fine actors, but this was a shitmess. Barack and Michelle do not impress me.

by Anonymousreply 35December 9, 2023 9:51 PM

Could Julia be any more of a cunt?

by Anonymousreply 36December 9, 2023 10:42 PM

It was so annoying that her character kept pleading for her husband to "do something." Like bitch, what the fuck do you expect him to do??

Also, it was supposed to be in some remote location in Long Island, yet they were close enough to Manhattan to be able to see helicopters?

by Anonymousreply 37December 9, 2023 10:47 PM

One takeaway is to always observe animals. They always know when some shit is going down.

by Anonymousreply 38December 9, 2023 11:17 PM

R34: No wonder she campaigned her ass off for this movie.

by Anonymousreply 39December 9, 2023 11:21 PM

R37 they never said Long Island. They just said a house right outside of NYC. They could be in NJ.

I thought all of the actors did a great job, especially Hawke and Ali. Julia Roberts was great and she works well as shrill, cold characters.

by Anonymousreply 40December 9, 2023 11:47 PM

R39 that’s a part of an actors job. You know nothing about films or contracts.

by Anonymousreply 41December 9, 2023 11:48 PM

They most definitely said Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 42December 9, 2023 11:56 PM

Does the kid have radiation poisoning? Is so, why no one else?

by Anonymousreply 43December 10, 2023 12:09 AM

Because not everyone’s body reacts exactly the same to radiation. That doesn’t mean the rest won’t have issues or get sick but his body couldn’t take the radiation much.

by Anonymousreply 44December 10, 2023 12:21 AM

I watched this last night. I enjoyed it. I'm still not entirely sure what happened or what was going to happen next. Some of the story was a bit implausible like the house owners letting the guests continue to stay in their bedrooms etc. Given the abrupt ending - do we think there's going to be a sequel? Did the annoying daughter have "the Rachel" hairdo? She looked terrible.

It was definitely Long Island R40. Julia Roberts referenced it at one point.

by Anonymousreply 45December 10, 2023 12:26 AM

Long Island surrounds NYC. There are some towns right outside of the city and Queens.

R45 What happened was there was a cyber attack, something that could easily actually happen in real life.

“ Some of the story was a bit implausible like the house owners letting the guests continue to stay in their bedrooms”

What was implausible about this? The reasoning is laid out bare.

by Anonymousreply 46December 10, 2023 12:32 AM

My mother is a conspiracy theorist and in 2021 had a landline put back in her place in case there is ever a cyber attack. She also has tons of bins etc. filled with canned foods for if something like this ever happened! Not joking. She’s always telling me to get a landline because WHEN a cyber attack eventually happens one day (she sees that as an inevitable attack one day) I won’t be able to contact anyone with a cell phone. I tell her she needs to turn off the news channels lol.

by Anonymousreply 47December 10, 2023 12:35 AM

Excellent adaptation of an excellent novel. I thought Esmail did a great job with the sense of menace throughout the film. And who knew Julia would be so convincing as a racist cunt? I’m a little freaked out that the 16-year-old was played by a 33-year-old. That’s some serious Stockard Channing/Gabrielle Carteris role playing.

by Anonymousreply 48December 10, 2023 12:38 AM

I never would have known he is 33. He is very youthful looking. The 13 year old was played by a 17/18 year old.

by Anonymousreply 49December 10, 2023 12:40 AM

I mean, was she racist r48? I don’t think she’s racist for being skeptical of them showing up at the house they rented for the weekend out of nowhere in the middle of the night. He also didn’t have his ID or anything.

by Anonymousreply 50December 10, 2023 12:42 AM

R50, the screenplay made it pretty clear that their race was a large factor in her initial skepticism (although that dissipated as she got to know them). She even suggested to her husband that they were the handyman and the maid.

by Anonymousreply 51December 10, 2023 12:46 AM

I haven’t read the novel as of yet but do plan to give it a read now that I’ve watched the film and enjoyed it. I found it captivating. I was never bored and invested in what was happening from start to end.

Someone upthread said Julia Roberts was terrible and I couldn’t disagree more. She was great in this, in my opinion. She plays colder shrewd characters well now that she’s older. She has a cold presence to her in real life so it just works. She’s not a warm person like Sandra, and it translates to her performances at times.

I loved Ethan Hawke (he reminded me of my father, honestly) and Mahershala Ali has a massive screen presence. He’s a terrific actor and very natural.

Anyone who doesn’t think a cyber attack is possible is fooling themselves. Everything going digital and electronic will be the downfall of us one day.

by Anonymousreply 52December 10, 2023 12:51 AM

[quote][R45] What happened was there was a cyber attack, something that could easily actually happen in real life.

Yes I got that bit thanks R46 - a massive cyberattack, collapse of communications, no-one in charge, everything crumbling etc. I meant who did it (possibly several bad actors like Russia, North Korea, Iran), was it just the US, why was NY was being bombed and what was going to happen next. Those sort of things. There was a lot of unexplained stuff and that was why I wondered if there would be a sequel.

I would never have known the son was 33 either. He looked like a teen. I thought Roberts character was very racist R50 - it wasn't just the lack of ID - she was incredulous that black people could own such a lovely house and be that wealthy and she treated them as a danger. She later apologized for her behavior but she had already done it. I thought Kevin Bacon was wasted. His role could have been much bigger. The daughter could have been completely omitted from the whole thing and wouldn't have been missed.

by Anonymousreply 53December 10, 2023 12:51 AM

R51 she was the one more skeptical. Not them. Ethan Hawke was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. She wasn’t. And I don’t think their race was the reason but I think they felt that was the reason.

by Anonymousreply 54December 10, 2023 12:53 AM

Also - does anyone speak Spanish and knows what the screaming Spanish woman on the side of the road was saying? Why was she so worked up?

by Anonymousreply 55December 10, 2023 12:53 AM

Would a ham radio still work in this type of situation? I've thought about getting one.

by Anonymousreply 56December 10, 2023 12:53 AM

There was nothing to send the signal R56. Nothing was working.

by Anonymousreply 57December 10, 2023 12:55 AM

I thought ham radios could connect to other survivalist types?

by Anonymousreply 58December 10, 2023 12:56 AM

R53 his character was there for that one purpose. He wasn’t needed otherwise so no he wasn’t wasted.

by Anonymousreply 59December 10, 2023 12:57 AM

R55 ummmm possibly because people were dying, radiation was happening, all electronics and communications were down and she was by herself in the middle of nowhere…

by Anonymousreply 60December 10, 2023 12:58 AM

Stop being a cunt R60/R59 etc.

by Anonymousreply 61December 10, 2023 1:01 AM

Barack and Michelle continue to disappoint. They have no show business experience and this marginal film proves that. Their hobnobbing and ass kissing to Hollywood is a terrible look for the Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 62December 10, 2023 1:06 AM

The story doesn’t tell you who is behind the attack because in real life most people wouldn’t know either. Was it China? Was it Russia? Was it Korea? Was it all of them working together to finally take down the USA? Was it an inside job and the US Government was actually behind it all? Who knows the truth? In real life there would be these same questions and everyone would have their own opinions

by Anonymousreply 63December 10, 2023 1:07 AM

Ham radios require a repeater to work R58. There was nothing to relay the signals so they wouldn't have worked properly or at all. Ham radios may have worked over a flat, short distance with no obstructions only - neighbor to neighbor maybe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 10, 2023 1:07 AM

[quote]R47: My mother is a conspiracy theorist and in 2021 had a landline put back in her place in case there is ever a cyber attack. She also has tons of bins etc. filled with canned foods for if something like this ever happened! Not joking. She’s always telling me to get a landline because WHEN a cyber attack eventually happens one day (she sees that as an inevitable attack one day) I won’t be able to contact anyone with a cell phone.

The POTS system ('Plain Old Telephone Service', powered independently) is mostly gone. Loss of power, loss of phone service to her "landline." It's also susceptible to a 'cyber attack.'

by Anonymousreply 65December 10, 2023 1:10 AM

The moral of the story: keep those DVDs.

by Anonymousreply 66December 10, 2023 1:11 AM

R65 POTS still exists in parts of the country, especially smaller towns in the Midwest and out West. But yes, it’s mostly gone. I told her this but it still makes her feel better so there is that.

by Anonymousreply 67December 10, 2023 1:13 AM

In a recent interview Julia Roberts was telling her costar who played Mahershala’s daughter to get a landline and that she’s never gotten rid of hers.

by Anonymousreply 68December 10, 2023 1:14 AM

So the little twat just stays in the well equipped bunker and her family can go fuck themselves?

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 69December 10, 2023 1:17 AM

Julia is the last real movie star and she certainly doesn’t have to work ever again. However, does she really want the autumn of her career to be trashy commercial films like this and Ticket to Paradise?

by Anonymousreply 70December 10, 2023 1:18 AM

They said the power generation infrastructure had stopped working so there would have been no electricity to power the landlines.

by Anonymousreply 71December 10, 2023 1:19 AM

R70 speaks like her contemporary Sandra isn’t still living or like Angelina Jolie or J Lawrence never existed.

by Anonymousreply 72December 10, 2023 1:25 AM

Shit show

by Anonymousreply 73December 10, 2023 1:28 AM

The movie reads as a warning. Seriously. It feels like a warning of what’s to come

by Anonymousreply 74December 10, 2023 1:29 AM

I liked that colored man's house!

by Anonymousreply 75December 10, 2023 1:35 AM

[quote]Barack and Michelle continue to disappoint. They have no show business experience and this marginal film proves that. Their hobnobbing and ass kissing to Hollywood is a terrible look for the Democrats.

You're a complete fucking idiot.

It's extremely important that you know that. And it's equally important that you know that everyone else knows it.

Get some friends. Get a life. Do something.

by Anonymousreply 76December 10, 2023 1:50 AM

I actually loved this.

by Anonymousreply 77December 10, 2023 1:51 AM

R76 I have the troll you are responding to blocked. Figures it's fixating on Obama being a producer.

The movie is fine. The ending is ambiguous but it's based on a novel that I will read shortly.

by Anonymousreply 78December 10, 2023 1:55 AM

I could easily imagine DJT pulling a stunt like this should he, God forbid, resume his miserable seat in power.

by Anonymousreply 79December 10, 2023 2:03 AM

I actually wasn’t confused by the ending…maybe I missed something?

What I saw and heard from the character dialogue was that it was a coup by a rogue group of “Americans” to overthrow the government and devolve America into Civil War (basically a big plot from the Handmaids Tale)

Which is why we see NY being bombed at the end.

by Anonymousreply 80December 10, 2023 2:13 AM

Actually this is plausible. The cyber attacks, the disabling satellites, the chaos that a prolonged power outage would cause and even militias shooting at one another. I can also see it as an opportunity to impose martial law and stage a coup. Now all the movie talk about an invasion seemed a little far fetched, but when the characters talked about how our enemies would manipulate a situation for us to do it to ourselves, that really struck a chord.

by Anonymousreply 81December 10, 2023 3:02 AM

I’m 15 minutes into it and the thing I can’t get past is that Julia Roberts is old enough to be the grandmother of the kids in this.

by Anonymousreply 82December 10, 2023 3:36 AM

She is also old enough to be the mother of a 17 year old and 13 year old. She would have had her son in her late 30s and daughter at 43. Not safe to get pregnant that late but it happens.

by Anonymousreply 83December 10, 2023 3:41 AM

The point about the ending is that the daughter finds the shelter that will save everyone.

by Anonymousreply 84December 10, 2023 3:57 AM

Does this qualify for a Razzie? Because Julia is terrible in it.

by Anonymousreply 85December 10, 2023 4:12 AM

Denzel Washington was originally attached to this project. What happened? I suspect the role wasn’t good enough?

by Anonymousreply 86December 10, 2023 4:17 AM

If The Shining taught us anything it is never trust a location that you are seen to get to with a helicopter shot.

by Anonymousreply 87December 10, 2023 4:19 AM

I actually liked the first 45 minutes or so — just the premise of a Vrbo homeowner and his daughter showing back up at his house in the middle of the night and needing to stay with the mistrustful renters on some pretext. That could have made a very tense, suspenseful plot in itself (with, of course, some Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? histrionics in the third act).

The rest of the movie was overwritten and some of it was ridiculous (the annoying 12-year-old watches The West Wing, "but only the Aaron Sorkin seasons" — oh, please). And the "Friends" metaphor was womp-womp obvious enough to get someone a C in freshman comp.

Last, the overarching story was done on the original Twilight Zone better in "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street" in less than a quarter of the time.

by Anonymousreply 88December 10, 2023 4:23 AM

One of the leads consistently makes shit films.

This is also shit.

What is with the teeth? Doesn't align with the ending.

by Anonymousreply 89December 10, 2023 4:32 AM

How can G.H. Scott be driving a car without any ID? Cops always ask for drivers license and registration.

by Anonymousreply 90December 10, 2023 5:05 AM

They spent $25 mil on Julia Roberts and $1 mil on the actual movie. All they do is stay inside a house. What a fucking dumb movie with a fucking dumb ending.

by Anonymousreply 91December 10, 2023 5:28 AM

The ending is so lame. Was it an invasion from within or from the outside? And why would animals act strangely? Complete waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 92December 10, 2023 5:31 AM

Netflix should have left the novel behind. I want my two hours back.

by Anonymousreply 93December 10, 2023 5:34 AM

I would imagine the big budget went to special effects and getting the rights to Friends. I was so disappointed that the deers didn't attack Ruth. She was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 94December 10, 2023 7:51 AM

Oy - too many social messages in here and no answers. Me Too, Karens, Climate Change, Gun control, racism, scary AI, big tech scariness, Elon? anti Semtisim, Nationalism, Autism (that little had to be autistic right?), animal activism etc.

by Anonymousreply 95December 10, 2023 7:59 AM

I didn’t like the ending. I wanted it to keep going. Does the book also end this way?

by Anonymousreply 96December 10, 2023 8:01 AM

I thought it was about 2/3 of a good movie. Good setup, great escalation of weird events and tension, but like so many movies it was let down by its third act.

Was there anyone who did not know that the girl would be able to watch the final episode of Friends before the film petered out?

by Anonymousreply 97December 10, 2023 8:27 AM

I thought it was good.

by Anonymousreply 98December 10, 2023 8:49 AM

Next up: Sasha Obama stars in "In The Beginning"- a biopic of the teenaged Aretha Franklin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99December 10, 2023 8:57 AM

Nepobaby!!!!

by Anonymousreply 100December 10, 2023 12:32 PM

I thought it was entertaining enough. Definitely kept me watching to see what would happen next.

Is Defuckto still around? Thought it had fucked off way back. I blocked it but I haven't heard anyone mention it in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 101December 10, 2023 1:09 PM

[quote]All they do is stay inside a house

During an invasion/black out event that's what people do. I thought the Tesla scene when they did leave was great. The movie wasn't about the actual invasion but people caught up in it. I do wish the deer thing was explained and Bacon had a bigger part.

by Anonymousreply 102December 10, 2023 1:15 PM

R92 it wasn’t an invasion at all. It was a coup de tat from within where an anti-government militia overthrew the American government. It was the setup for The Handmaids Tale (there is even a section in the book where they talk about parts of New York that were not habitable due to nuclear waste, like in this movie where the next to last scene is New York being bombed)

It was Americans overthrowing democracy.

And yes….it was all totally plausible and exactly how it would happen.

by Anonymousreply 103December 10, 2023 1:17 PM

Could the movie BE anymore lame?

by Anonymousreply 104December 10, 2023 1:18 PM

We sat there wondering - a cyberattack on the world, but they don’t shut down the power grid?

by Anonymousreply 105December 10, 2023 1:22 PM

R103 the fact that such things are possible and that we aren't paying enough attention to cybercrimes and cyber terrorism, sometimes I feel like we're actually setting the table for"something" to happen. We've had blackouts where power grids failed. I remember reading about a big one in NEw York years ago.

My elderly cousin advised me several years ago, to buy myself a battery operated radio. She said in a weather related power outage they were a life saver.

I don't think the average American is even conscious of what satellites do. But if something or someone took them out we'd find out in a hurry.

by Anonymousreply 106December 10, 2023 1:25 PM

NYC would probably be bombed if a far-right fascist regime staged a coup. They would have no problem slaughtering millions of liberals.

by Anonymousreply 107December 10, 2023 1:51 PM

R107 is fapping

by Anonymousreply 108December 10, 2023 1:56 PM

There's a supernatural element included that doesn't align with the coup plot.

by Anonymousreply 109December 10, 2023 1:59 PM

I enjoyed the movie. I liked the ending.

From what I understood, the internal coup and civil war (stage 3) were the result of the chaos that was instigated from outside the US.

by Anonymousreply 110December 10, 2023 2:12 PM

When you think about it, this movie was cheap to shoot. The deer were CGI, the bombing of the city,the plane crash, the huge oil tanker running aground on the beach, was all special effects, animation, etc. There were three or four houses at most, and the road, and the self driving cars, but again that was probably CGI too.

Early on they mentioned that the outages were disrupting the migratory patterns of animals, birds, etc. But IMO, the flamingos in the swimming pool, the deer herd, all loose ends they could have done more with. The ending was very unnerving for me. I wanted to slap that kid and shout at her, (like Julia Roberts Character ) because she seemed so disconnected to what was happening, maybe a result of being infantilized and sheltered by her crazy mother. But she just wanted things to be normal, and once she found her DVD of Friends she just sort of blocked out everything else.

by Anonymousreply 111December 10, 2023 2:13 PM

The youngest kid was having a response to the trauma of the situation. Her family consisted of two assholes (mom and rotting mouth brother) and dad who seemed like he'd be an absent parent, physically and emotionally. Didn't make her any less annoying, though.

by Anonymousreply 112December 10, 2023 2:20 PM

A lot of tonal changes from the book.

I didn’t mind the cute ending but in the book the Friends thing was just a quick reference, and Rose finds the house and collects goods to bring home.

The book didn’t have George being omniscient like that. It was in the narration, occasionally interspersed. The whole point of the book was that people were in the middle of a catastrophe and didn’t know what was happening and couldn’t find out because the “information highway” was suddenly gone.

What you got in the book was more a sense that people had already seen so many crises, so many pots about to boil over, that they were basically expecting disaster. They speculate about what the cause was and why it wasn’t being addressed (remember this was written and published when the idiot Trump was pretending to be President).

The movie seems to focus more on the way people fall apart in a crisis which was certainly in the book too. Really the ultimate expression of this is the way Rose bares her soul to her brother and he just betrays her completely. He’s just not there for her, because he’s suffering himself and that’s all he’s thinking about.

But because this was made for Netflix, and so millions of dimwits would be watching, they put way too fine a point on it, and Julia Roberts gives a little speech that’s way too on the nose. And George asks Clay to pledge that they’ll work together, really just further underlining the centrifugal force that a crisis has on human society.

The book is much better than the movie, but the movie is much better and it is actually quite creepy, although some of that comes from the relentless use of portentous music. I thought Mahershala Ali was especially good in this, although all of the performances were excellent.

by Anonymousreply 113December 10, 2023 2:43 PM

I don't get the fascination with Friends. I watched maybe 3-4 episodes over the years, and there was nothing of any substance to it. It wasn't even funny. Interesting that a regressive 13 yr old was so into the show.

by Anonymousreply 114December 10, 2023 2:43 PM

^^^

“ The book is much better than the movie, but the movie is fine”

Ha ha I had contradicted myself there, sorry

by Anonymousreply 115December 10, 2023 2:45 PM

The book is much better than the movie, but the movie is much better.

Sounds ghastly!

by Anonymousreply 116December 10, 2023 2:46 PM

Does the book address the deer situation more R115? That part of the movie seemed quite of of place. Migrating birds make sense but the deer do not.

I wish I knew what the Spanish woman was shrieking about. I'm going to guess that she was possibly a housekeeper at a house with absent owners.

by Anonymousreply 117December 10, 2023 2:54 PM

R116, bad form to ridicule someone for an error he’s already corrected. DL has no edit feature. A bit snivelly on your part.

by Anonymousreply 118December 10, 2023 2:58 PM

R117, the book wants to put you in the shoes of the people having all these strange events occur and you don’t know why.

But now and then there will be a curt reference in the narrative to something that’s occurring at that very moment which the characters couldn’t possibly know about. That’s done to really underline how in the dark they are.

by Anonymousreply 119December 10, 2023 3:01 PM

R118 bad form to be so clueless to not see that I was typing my joke at the same Bootsy’s post was appearing …so that I would not have seen it until I refreshed the thread.

Duh—you type in a ghastly manner, just ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 120December 10, 2023 3:08 PM

^^^

Snivelly creepiness confirmed

by Anonymousreply 121December 10, 2023 3:37 PM

You think it’s plausible that deer would act that way and a teenager’s teeth would fall out? Okay then.

by Anonymousreply 122December 10, 2023 3:40 PM

Well at least we got to see Julia do her hyena laugh. But that dancing.

by Anonymousreply 123December 10, 2023 3:45 PM

She was awful. The dancing and yelling at the deer were both cringe.

by Anonymousreply 124December 10, 2023 3:48 PM

R122 it's a work of fiction. Anything is possible and plausible.

by Anonymousreply 125December 10, 2023 3:54 PM

My version jumped at the scene where Ruth told Amanda she was afraid the kids would pee in the pool. Amanda says her children wouldn't do that but I never heard what Ruth said back. Also I never saw the moment where Archie supposedly got bit by a bug.

by Anonymousreply 126December 10, 2023 3:55 PM

The bug thing was weird and fleeting and it didn't look like a bug to me. More like a metallic something. I may rewatch it to catch things I didn't really pay attention to.

by Anonymousreply 127December 10, 2023 4:03 PM

I have to say, the only characters I "cared" about were the Black characters. I loved the exchange when Ruth asked Amanda what she did professionally, and Amanda said, "I'm a relationship manager" and Ruth responded, "I never would have guessed t hat!" Amanda was SO annoying. Interesting that her husband never makes it to town. He drives and drives, then comes back. And the teenaged boy who lost his teeth was just a cifer. A stereotypical horny teenager, but nothing to him. I wish he had exhibited more curiosity.

by Anonymousreply 128December 10, 2023 4:09 PM

It would have been more menacing if they had just settled on the teen son having radiation sickness or Havana Syndrome, instead of trying to play coy with the tick bite. I thought that was stupid. At the point of realization that he was dying of either of those things (quickly) , the others would have to deal with watching him suffer and die while knowing it was most likely their fate as well, as they had all been exposed too.

by Anonymousreply 129December 10, 2023 4:11 PM

Interesting to me that their survivalist neighbor talked about the HAvana syndrome and its effects. I haven't researched/confirmed it yet, but I wondered if that part was true?

by Anonymousreply 130December 10, 2023 4:18 PM

“All they do is stay inside the house”

And what do you think happens during a blackout and invasion? You’re going to the movies or gym? No. What an idiotic comment.

by Anonymousreply 131December 10, 2023 5:10 PM

R105 did you watch? It wasn’t a cyber attack on THE WORLD. It was a cyber attack on the USA. Something like this wouldn’t be global.

by Anonymousreply 132December 10, 2023 5:12 PM

R132 if the satellites were disrupted it would have a global impact.

by Anonymousreply 133December 10, 2023 5:18 PM

R132 - and? So cyber attackers wouldn’t shut down the power grid in the US? Way to miss the point.

by Anonymousreply 134December 10, 2023 5:23 PM

GH's client, re: do you guys see him as a Donald Rumsfeld type or more an Eric Prince? Or, even a Steve Bannon guy?

I enjoyed the way Ali recounted the entirety of the conversation with his "client" and the way he divulged the last part of the message from him was quite chilling. Excellent delivery.

by Anonymousreply 135December 10, 2023 5:26 PM

“The book is much better than the movie“

Isn’t that the case 99% of the time. And the reasoning is that usually they can’t show everything that’s in a book in a film for time and pacing reasons. They have to edit and choose what to show.

Also, some things don’t translate from paper to page well (Dune is the perfect example of this).

by Anonymousreply 136December 10, 2023 5:28 PM

R122 the teeth thing is plausible, yes. If you’re in high radiation your body could easily start falling apart, with teeth falling out or hair falling out. And not everyone’s body will take to the radiation the same

by Anonymousreply 137December 10, 2023 5:29 PM

But the kid was bitten by a bug and that seemed relevant to his teeth falling out.

by Anonymousreply 138December 10, 2023 5:32 PM

I think the who Global vs. National, and the cyber attacks and the satellites fucking up everything is a plot hole.

by Anonymousreply 139December 10, 2023 5:33 PM

R134 full of nonsense. There is no single American grid. There are three grids in the contiguous 48 states. The Northeast US is also tied to Canadian hydro power.

by Anonymousreply 140December 10, 2023 5:34 PM

Oh, fuck off R140

by Anonymousreply 141December 10, 2023 5:36 PM

R140 is trying to be rational and factual so of course he should fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 142December 10, 2023 5:39 PM

R141 no. R140 has it right.

by Anonymousreply 143December 10, 2023 5:43 PM

Yes, R142, as should anyone who thinks this move was rational and factual.

by Anonymousreply 144December 10, 2023 5:44 PM

It's not a documentary, geez.

by Anonymousreply 145December 10, 2023 5:47 PM

R141 I didn’t mention the grid in the first instance. You or another idiot did. I just drove by to correct the moronic thought. But do take care—please, and soon.

by Anonymousreply 146December 10, 2023 5:48 PM

Today’s SAT practice word is plausible. Do you know the meaning of plausible?

Say it with me:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147December 10, 2023 5:51 PM

I wonder if this will be the last time anyone pays Julia $25 million.

by Anonymousreply 148December 10, 2023 5:52 PM

The film has people talking and watching and it’s viral all over tiktok. It’s a success.

by Anonymousreply 149December 10, 2023 5:53 PM

R146 - still, fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 150December 10, 2023 5:56 PM

The audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is 42%. People know it’s a dud.

by Anonymousreply 151December 10, 2023 6:05 PM

I'm sure it's a huge hit with the homesteader crowd...who spend all day on TikTok.

by Anonymousreply 152December 10, 2023 6:08 PM

It’s a hit because people are watching. The film itself is polarizing because of its ending.

by Anonymousreply 153December 10, 2023 6:12 PM

I had a chuckle when all the deers were staring at Julia and wouldn't move away. It's JULIA ROBERTS! But since the house belonged to the Scotts, you would think that Ruth would have seen deers before, no? Just maybe not so many.

by Anonymousreply 154December 10, 2023 9:38 PM

Deers?

by Anonymousreply 155December 10, 2023 9:43 PM

It’s interesting to see so many viewers wanting to make this a genre movie when it’s adapted from a book that absolutely is not genre fiction but literary fiction. People are even fighting over the details (sell this IS the DL after all), when the details are kept vague for a reason.

The deer for instance are moving in very large numbers and moving toward people rather than shying away for no other reason than they’re not supposed to be acting this way. There’s something clearly wrong and you’re supposed to feel that, and you do in both the book and the movie, but what the exact cause is isn’t really central to it.

The key elements of the strange deer phenomenon is the way people react. Rose rightly sees it as a sign that something is world-changingly wrong. And it’s the event that leads Amanda to step in and risk herself to defend a stranger, a huge step for her.

by Anonymousreply 156December 10, 2023 9:55 PM

The novel is not the picture.

by Anonymousreply 157December 10, 2023 9:56 PM

^^^ well, not sell

I desperately need an edit feature on DL. I’d happily pay ten dollars a month for it! I’m just not the kind of writer who notices typos until the first draft appears. 🤷🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 158December 10, 2023 9:57 PM

R157, it’s based on the novel and it’s definitely not a genre movie.

by Anonymousreply 159December 10, 2023 9:57 PM

Another movie that's full of red herrings that go nowhere, and after sitting through over two hours of all of it, the film just abruptly ends, resolving nothing.

by Anonymousreply 160December 10, 2023 9:57 PM

R160 because not everything is solvable.

by Anonymousreply 161December 10, 2023 9:58 PM

Thank you, Bootsy.

I purchased the Kindle version for my IPad based on these discussions.

It will be a while before I get to it as I am currently reading the complete Wheel of Time and still have 12 books to go.

by Anonymousreply 162December 10, 2023 9:59 PM

🤦🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 163December 10, 2023 9:59 PM

R161 Or because it's just a movie with lazy writing.

by Anonymousreply 164December 10, 2023 10:00 PM

I didn't find the ending abrupt at all. EVERYONE keeps talking about getting back to normal. For a brief moment, the girl manages to do just that.

Tomorrow, however, is another day.

by Anonymousreply 165December 10, 2023 10:01 PM

Bootsy—it’s Netflix! Genre, by the very definition.

Just ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 166December 10, 2023 10:02 PM

If it was real, they'd be burying her brother within the week.

by Anonymousreply 167December 10, 2023 10:03 PM

R164 it’s an adaptation. Something you clearly don’t understand. I imagine you’ve never actually read a book.

by Anonymousreply 168December 10, 2023 10:05 PM

R166 seems intent on shoehorning the movie into her pedestrian mindset, and is otherwise on some sort of mentally ill vendetta with the constant use of “ghastly.”

My guess is r166 is a big fan of mass murder.

by Anonymousreply 169December 10, 2023 10:06 PM

No—just someone who understands the worst instincts of commercialized filmmakers. Duh

by Anonymousreply 170December 10, 2023 10:09 PM

R169 he’s a jobless loser. He compares movies like Barbie to small indies. He’s so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 171December 10, 2023 10:10 PM

Most of my friends on social media hated this film because of the ending and are telling people not to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 172December 10, 2023 10:15 PM

R172 lmao

by Anonymousreply 173December 10, 2023 10:21 PM

[quote]Most of my friends on social media

There is no such thing as a friend on social media.

by Anonymousreply 174December 10, 2023 10:23 PM

What the fuck, THAT’S the end? I just finished it and I couldn’t believe when the credits started rolling.

by Anonymousreply 175December 10, 2023 11:01 PM

For those dissatisfied with the ending: are you unhappy you didn't get to watch all of the characters die in various, horrible ways or were you hoping for a Disney-ish ending where they all joined "the good guys" and helped "take America back"?

More seriously, what kind of ending were you really expecting with the way the movie was set up? Isn't it more worrisome, stressful, and a true cautionary tale, if you're left to wonder?

by Anonymousreply 176December 10, 2023 11:09 PM

As they dissolved that last scene they panned the house where the little girl ended up. They had everything. Food water, access to technology, and electricity. The others figured she probably went to that house so we knew eventually they'd find her. It was a close to resolution as we were going to get. They would survive...at least for a while.

by Anonymousreply 177December 10, 2023 11:10 PM

[QUOTE] For those dissatisfied with the ending: are you unhappy you didn't get to watch all of the characters die in various, horrible ways

Yes, that one.

by Anonymousreply 178December 10, 2023 11:10 PM

R177 they didn’t have access to technology. They did have electricity though.

by Anonymousreply 179December 10, 2023 11:18 PM

They had access to enough technology to get updates from the screen showing the White House was under attack and other horrible happenings, R179. It was updating in real time, with the actual situation in "America".

by Anonymousreply 180December 10, 2023 11:21 PM

R180 and then it cut off and they had no more access… did you watch the film?

by Anonymousreply 181December 10, 2023 11:27 PM

If that little girl had been brought up right she would have gone back and told the others about finding the shelter BEFORE she sat down to watch the Friends finale. Maybe she did pee in the pool.

by Anonymousreply 182December 11, 2023 12:26 AM

R182 that was her way to deal with the trauma. Everyone copes differently. She desperately sought out Friends as an escape from reality. She also stuffed her face with junk and juice before watching. She probably knows they’re all dying and this is how she wants to go out.

by Anonymousreply 183December 11, 2023 12:30 AM

I would've LOVED the ending if the last DVD in the Friends slipcase was missing and that horrible child committed suicide at the agony of it.

by Anonymousreply 184December 11, 2023 1:07 AM

Julia Roberts guest starred in an episode of Friends. Does the actress Julia Roberts exist in their world?

by Anonymousreply 185December 11, 2023 1:10 AM

Or she could have joined the rebellion, and murdered her family, if only they showed her learning that Chandler was dead!

by Anonymousreply 186December 11, 2023 1:16 AM

You don’t just “join”.

I just saw a video of a guy saying that he’s bought his favorite tv shows and movies on dvd over the last few years because he always had a fear something like a cyber attack could happen one day and he wants to have his favorites for if we lost the internet etc. After watching this movie he felt validated in having those feelings and thoughts over the past few years.

by Anonymousreply 187December 11, 2023 1:22 AM

[quote]I just saw a video of a guy saying that he’s bought his favorite tv shows and movies on dvd over the last few years because he always had a fear something like a cyber attack could happen one day and he wants to have his favorites for if we lost the internet etc. After watching this movie he felt validated in having those feelings and thoughts over the past few years.

Yes, if the country is under a life-threatening cyberattack it will be VITAL to have the Blu-Ray of "Star Trek VII."

by Anonymousreply 188December 11, 2023 1:24 AM

Fast & Furious 10 is far more on point👽

by Anonymousreply 189December 11, 2023 1:25 AM

He said he bought Schitts Creek, Parks and Rec, The Office, etc. for if this happens.

by Anonymousreply 190December 11, 2023 1:28 AM

Were those normal bombs being dropped on New York or were they nuclear bombs? The bomb clouds looked like mushroom clouds. There were 2 dropped while we watched but I couldn't figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 191December 11, 2023 1:33 AM

R168 Adaptations have scripts.

Clearly, this is something with which you're completely unfamiliar.

by Anonymousreply 192December 11, 2023 1:42 AM

[quote]The point about the ending is that the daughter finds the shelter that will save everyone.

Exactly, Mahershala Ali clearly tells Ethan Hawke where they are going sitting in Kevin Bacon's driveway. Julia Roberts sees where the daughter is. They will go there. Why you have to actually see it?

I liked it, with no monster, it still had a "Bird Box"vibe to it. Had no idea the son wasn't a kid.

by Anonymousreply 193December 11, 2023 1:58 AM

Not exactly. Replying to yourself saying exactly about something nonsensical just shows how retarded you are.

by Anonymousreply 194December 11, 2023 2:15 AM

Why should a cyberattack impact the migration of birds? The only bird sighting I remember was the flamingos in the pool.

by Anonymousreply 195December 11, 2023 4:03 AM

R195, hunny, we know that what ever happened, it affected the migratory patterns of birds and other animals. We know this because the people in the story said so. They didn't tell us why.

by Anonymousreply 196December 11, 2023 4:15 AM

DVDs are not perfect. They can refuse to play at all or freeze so you can't totally rely on them either.

by Anonymousreply 197December 11, 2023 4:31 AM

I was thinking about all those millions of people who already live off the grid. THink about all the people who live in SUVs, or vans or WTF ever. They get a gym membership at some national chain and that's where they shit and shower and they just manage.

by Anonymousreply 198December 11, 2023 4:35 AM

SPOILER ALERT SERIOUSLY DONT READ THIS IF YOU'RE PLANNING TO WATCH AND DONT WANT CLUES.

All the characters made it clear they were headed for the same place. Kevin Bacon told the three men where he believed the bunker was. Julia and the teenage daughter were heading for "the grey house" because Julia said "I'll be that's where (the bratty daughter)went" once the deer got out of the way. To me the ending meant all of them would end up in that gloriously stocked bunker together with thousands of Friends DVDs along with every movie ever made.

by Anonymousreply 199December 11, 2023 5:33 AM

How old is Ruth supposed to be? I don't recall it being said but Amanda calls her an adult. To me she behaved like a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 200December 11, 2023 6:03 AM

Variety review says she is in her 20s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201December 11, 2023 6:26 AM

The point about the ending is that they are going to live in a nice, well-stocked bunker for quite a while because society has collapsed. Why is that so hard for people to understand? It's in the title.

by Anonymousreply 202December 11, 2023 7:26 AM

What a waste of time this movie was.

by Anonymousreply 203December 11, 2023 8:17 AM

It wasn't THAT bad R203. I had a few questions but I enjoyed it. I would 100% watch a sequel.

by Anonymousreply 204December 11, 2023 8:53 AM

But who do they fuck? To procreate?

by Anonymousreply 205December 11, 2023 8:59 AM

For R205.

Answer 1: They didn't get that far. It was still beginning and happening when it finished.

Answer 2: The deer and flamingos.

by Anonymousreply 206December 11, 2023 9:07 AM

R202 because that wasn’t “the point”. You seem truly stupid. I don’t get why you’re on here. You aren’t educated in the slightest and constantly in business that is out of your pay grade.

by Anonymousreply 207December 11, 2023 9:14 AM

[quote]I wish I knew what the Spanish woman was shrieking about.

"Please! Sir! I need help, please! Please, sir!"

"Thank God I found someone! I’m trying to get back to my home! I’m lost! I’ve been walking for a while! I need to use your phone! You’re the first person I’ve seen all day! We have to get out of here!"

"I just saw a plane that was spraying red gas in the vicinity. I saw some deer, more than 50. They were coming out of the woods. Please! I need to go home, sir. A military plane appeared and fled. There’s no one around! Is it a chemical attack?"

by Anonymousreply 208December 11, 2023 9:26 AM

Except it is the point, r207, as proven by the fact you're incapable of suggesting any other point.

by Anonymousreply 209December 11, 2023 9:30 AM

Thank you, R208

by Anonymousreply 210December 11, 2023 9:43 AM

Rumaan Alam, the author of the novel, is a gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211December 11, 2023 9:56 AM

Variety has the answers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212December 11, 2023 11:05 AM

Indeed, r212. The only answer we know, that the author and director know and which is specifically stated in the book is that they all go into the bunker. What comes after that is up to each person's imagination. But, there's no deep political message, as some people seem to be wanting.

by Anonymousreply 213December 11, 2023 11:13 AM

Lots of unanswered questions which is perhaps what the author intended. Who was sleeping in the shack in the woods? A refugee fleeing, a random homeless person or a connoitering soldier? Where did the people in the house go that George visits? What caused all the damage?

The guys should have been scouting for weapons. I can't believe they never went into town.

by Anonymousreply 214December 11, 2023 11:43 AM

All the pontificating dialogue among the characters drags the film. And the endless trying of characters to connect and communicate with each other is exhausting. I also thought they were all unlikeable- snarky- remote and manipulative. In a situation remotely like this one- I don’t believe this is how people would behave. The owner daughter and Robert’s character were truly unlikeable.

by Anonymousreply 215December 11, 2023 11:43 AM

Some interesting factoids I picked up in another conversation. The town they are in is called Point Comfort. The radio station in the car while Dad is trying to get into town is 1619. The ship that runs aground is called the White Lion. In 1619 the first slave ship called White Lion arrived in Point Comfort, VA.

by Anonymousreply 216December 11, 2023 11:52 AM

R214 I completely forgot about the shack.

And what about the bike tracks?

by Anonymousreply 217December 11, 2023 12:36 PM

Wow. Thank you, R216.

by Anonymousreply 218December 11, 2023 12:48 PM

Short answer - Hated it.

Didn't like the abrupt ending. When the credits appeared, my first thought was WTF???

by Anonymousreply 219December 11, 2023 12:50 PM

R217 I think the bike tracks were from the daughter. They led to the house with the bunker.

by Anonymousreply 220December 11, 2023 1:40 PM

I thought the actress who played the rich guy's daughter was awful. I wanted to punch her in the face.

by Anonymousreply 221December 11, 2023 1:41 PM

R220 Ohh? I completely missed any mentioning or view of a bicycle.

When Julia said “bike” I thought of a motorbike..

by Anonymousreply 222December 11, 2023 1:46 PM

The Kevin Bacon character was unnecessary. How did just one kid get radiation poisoning? WTF was up with the animals they never explained it. The little girl who was scared of everything sudden just wanders off to someone else's house, breaks in, eats their food and suddenly discovers a million dollar prepper bunker packed with supplies for the 20 years and all she can do is watch Friends.

by Anonymousreply 223December 11, 2023 1:52 PM

R222 There was a brief glimpse of something or something whizzing by in the forest. There was no motor noise, so I assume it was a regular bicycle, and since the tracks led to the bunker house, I just assumed it was the daughter riding there. I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 224December 11, 2023 1:52 PM

R221, she's one of those people who's supposedly known by just one name: Myha'la.

by Anonymousreply 225December 11, 2023 1:57 PM

R225 She's a terrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 226December 11, 2023 1:59 PM

I enjoyed it for what it was. It was good that they put you in the shoes of the family - ie guessing at what might be happening, rather than showing it, because it keeps you guessing and what you can't see is often worse than what they show.

The 'scary' parts weren't even conventionally scary - like when the son's teeth started to fall out. But that's maybe more personal to me, as that's one my fears!

There were obviously several things that didn't make sense, though. When they were stocking up on groceries and at the beach there were plenty of people around, yet they all magically vanished the second the attack happened. Were we expected to believe they all made it back home across the bridge before it got blocked? That seemed unlikely. I know they wanted to ramp up the tension by having the place be deserted, but it didn't ring very true to me. It was a sunny weekend, surely Long Island would be busier than that?

by Anonymousreply 227December 11, 2023 1:59 PM

R227 Yeah, I didn't get why Long Island was completely deserted, either. If anything, you'd expect more people to flee the city and head out to the countryside if things were falling apart in the Big Apple.

by Anonymousreply 228December 11, 2023 2:02 PM

I too found the lack of any other townspeople driving by on the road to be odd. There would surely be stragglers walking or driving by.

I thought the kid's teeth were falling out from the Havana Syndrome that Bacon mentioned or is that regular radiation. He did say it affected people differently.

by Anonymousreply 229December 11, 2023 2:11 PM

I also didn't understand why the kid kept yanking his teeth out.

Leave 'em alone!

by Anonymousreply 230December 11, 2023 2:15 PM

[quote] And the endless trying of characters to connect and communicate with each other is exhausting.

That’s what the movie is about. The unspecified catastrophe is a macguffin.

by Anonymousreply 231December 11, 2023 2:23 PM

Better than White Noise. I couldn't even finish that one.

by Anonymousreply 232December 11, 2023 3:02 PM

R228 The more I think about it, even though they say it's Long Island, it seems to almost be fictional version of it. I'm not familiar with the area myself, but the end showed they were near enough to Manhattan to see it easily, but looking at Google Maps, anywhere that near to Manhattan is very built up. It was filmed in Old Westbury, NY which is at least a 50 minute drive from Manhattan, so the geography doesn't make sense.

R230 I thought that, too! But I guess if your teeth were that loose you might as well pull them out because it's not like you could eat with them.

by Anonymousreply 233December 11, 2023 3:49 PM

They would had to have found me some narcos as well as the (useless) antibiotics, if my teeth started falling out. Not just for the pain but because of the extreme emotional distress.

All that brushing and flossing -- for this??? Mary!

by Anonymousreply 234December 11, 2023 4:17 PM

Will Ruth still let him clap her cheeks? Or is him having five teeth too much of a turn off? There’s only two dicks for her to choose from in that bunker.

by Anonymousreply 235December 11, 2023 4:23 PM

She is flat-chested so no great prize herself, And she sleeps with a bandana on her head. Please.

by Anonymousreply 236December 11, 2023 6:51 PM

Yes the teeth thing made them all say we need a doctor when I was thinking - you need a dentist!

by Anonymousreply 237December 11, 2023 6:52 PM

[QUOTE]She is flat-chested so no great prize herself, And she sleeps with a bandana on her head. Please.

The boy was already rubbing it out to her pictures, and that was before the apocalypse. He’s probably an ass man so tits don’t even matter when you’ve got cake. You sound a bit perturbed that Ruth is in all likelihood going to give him his first trip down sugar wall alley.

by Anonymousreply 238December 11, 2023 7:35 PM

[quote]I thought the actress who played the rich guy's daughter was awful. I wanted to punch her in the face.

Then she was good because the character was obnoxious, you were supposed to want to punch her in the face.

[quote] When they were looking around the house for her the owner's daughter came back from the garage and said a bike was missing.

by Anonymousreply 239December 11, 2023 7:59 PM

R239 No, I wanted to punch her in the face because she did a terrible job of acting like an obnoxious girl.

by Anonymousreply 240December 11, 2023 8:01 PM

She’s CMU…be careful there

by Anonymousreply 241December 11, 2023 8:10 PM

R239 good reminder, they did say that about the bike. It all makes sense now.

by Anonymousreply 242December 11, 2023 8:18 PM

Strongly disagree, R240. I love me some Mya'hala Herrold. That character had exactly zero fucks left to give, and she played it with aplomb.

I thought Julia "$25 million in unmarked bills" Roberts was chewing far more scenery with her psycho Karen performance.

And the daughter's motivation seems pretty straightforward - the world is collapsing and she doesn't trust white people. (even if mom is/was probably white)

by Anonymousreply 243December 11, 2023 8:36 PM

Am I the only one who found the ending hilarious?

Ultimately the movie is about a young girl's all-consuming desire to finish watching the "Friends' finale, thwarted by dead wifi, crazy adults and nuclear war.

That's commitment.

by Anonymousreply 244December 11, 2023 8:45 PM

The book seriously irritated me, it is an overwriten collection of tropes that stay for the most part unexplained. I preferred the movie, the changes are in several senses more explicit and over your face. The owners are a middle aged husband and wife, and there is much less confrontation. Racism is obviously an isse but more understated.

I don’t think the book offers any clear explanation of what is going on. Also, the end is more dire in the book. There are no hugs or holding hands.

I realize from the above it appears the book is more interesting and it is not. It is certainly less facile but it is, ultimately, meaningless. It also feels like the writer is writing for the screen, with the deed, and the flamingos, and the white noise and the teeth.

I found the movie very enjoyable and the actors were all good, with Julia Roberts being the highlight. This is almost Bette Davis camp territory. Even the 45 years old looking daughter added to the creepy.

Finally, i think there were parts the directors was very obviously channeling The Birds. The attacks/strange things occurs periodically, and usually where the characters are having a meaningful conversation (absent in the book, by the way). But while The Birds is a masterpiece this is just enjoyable dreck.

by Anonymousreply 245December 11, 2023 9:53 PM

About ten years ago we had a really bad power outage in the early Spring from an Ice storm. They told us we'd be without power for at least 2-3 days. The local supermarket started selling their inventory, food, produce, etc. at a huge discount. You'd have thought it was the end of the world as we know it. The parking lot was full, there was a traffic jam up the street and people were buying stuff as it there were no tomorrow. Now, the absence of other people, especially at the shopping places was IMO a major flaw. The movie was made on the cheap. Julia Roberts' salary could have paid for a lot of extras.

by Anonymousreply 246December 11, 2023 10:10 PM

R246, that happens in the book as well. The Ethan Hawke character get in the car and gets lots without seeing anyone except for the Spanish speaking woman. It is supposed to add to the creepiness and isolation, for all its flaws they are not trying for a realistic scenario.

by Anonymousreply 247December 11, 2023 10:59 PM

20 minutes of Julia overacting as a suburban frau bigot—couldn’t take it beyond that point. The dialogue was ridiculous in that bedroom scene about ¿should they stay or should they go? Is there a grease fire at the end? I hope so.

by Anonymousreply 248December 12, 2023 1:30 AM

What the hell was that noise/sound supposed to be? That made no sense. They weren't close to any speakers, and they never answered what that was. Or even what it could have been.

by Anonymousreply 249December 12, 2023 2:53 AM

My favorite part of the entire movie was they hacked Teslas to clog all the streets so nobody could go anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 250December 12, 2023 3:01 AM

"so the geography doesn't make sense."

You're right. It didn't make any sense.

But neither did anything with the Deer.

by Anonymousreply 251December 12, 2023 3:02 AM

The survivalist neighbor explained the noise.

by Anonymousreply 252December 12, 2023 3:03 AM

Did he tho? He also said it was the Koreans. Or the Chinese. One of 'em.

by Anonymousreply 253December 12, 2023 3:08 AM

He was throwing out theories. The ending transmission in the bunker pointed to an internal coup from rogue military forces in our own ranks. You know, magats. The flyers were to sow confusion and chaos.

by Anonymousreply 254December 12, 2023 3:14 AM

It's like a second rate M. Night Shyamalan movie.

by Anonymousreply 255December 12, 2023 3:34 AM

I didn't get that from the ending transmission in the bunker... huh.

And those were really small mushroom clouds in the end too... like smaller tactical nukes maybe.

The "why" of the noise was stated, but not the HOW.

by Anonymousreply 256December 12, 2023 3:36 AM

Assuming the Flamingos came from the Zoo.... aren't their wings pinned so they can't fly?

by Anonymousreply 257December 12, 2023 3:37 AM

I just watched a more satisfying Doomsday film - Take Shelter (2011).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258December 12, 2023 4:09 AM

The ending in the bunker didn't point to anyone specific behind the coup, r254, and the coup was simply a result of chaos brought about by external actors (i.e. from outside of the US).

by Anonymousreply 259December 12, 2023 5:53 AM

R259 it wasn’t external. It was an internal coup. That was why Marshala’s important friend moved his money and warned him….he knew what was coming because he probably had a hand in what was happening.

by Anonymousreply 260December 12, 2023 1:45 PM

Boy that movie was a stinker.

by Anonymousreply 261December 12, 2023 1:46 PM

A friend of mine played a dead body in it.

by Anonymousreply 262December 12, 2023 1:51 PM

I thought it was external.

GH's speech towards the end made it sound like the US's external enemies had colluded together to take the US down. However, because a direct assault would be unwise/impossible, they wanted to bring the country down from within by causing a civil war (the third stage he mentioned).

I suspect the reason it's left vague is because you're meant to be as confused as the people would be if it really happened to them. But also if the author was too detailed about the plan, it would no doubt be full of plot holes. I mean, we've managed to find several plot holes with the little information we were given...

by Anonymousreply 263December 12, 2023 2:08 PM

I am still furious about that sloppy ending. Julia Roberts is no longer a pretty woman!!

by Anonymousreply 264December 12, 2023 4:02 PM

R264 I noticed she's got old lady hands now. That makes me feel better, because I have old man hands.

by Anonymousreply 265December 12, 2023 4:13 PM

Will Julia appear in person to accept her Razzie?

by Anonymousreply 266December 12, 2023 4:34 PM

Myha'la is really good in INDUSTRY

Very underrated HBO show.

by Anonymousreply 267December 12, 2023 4:37 PM

It's kind of like the most extreme version of what's happening to us right now. Trump and key members of Congress and various Cabinet level departments have been bought off by Russia. We also have some people who spy for China. The Extreme Right in this country doesn't act spontaneously. It's deliberate. It's like a symphony orchestra with Putin as the conductor. We can see the push towards authoritarianism on the Extreme Right all over the world. You have Italy, Hungary, Turkey, India, Argentina, with Extreme Right leaders getting elected. Other countries see the Extremists gaining ground. Immigrants and refugees have become rallying points for Extremists. This is a global strategy initiated by Putin and a cabal of oligarchs who want to control energy and mineral rights world wide. Russia and China appear to be allies but they are competitors. The Middle East has been contested for centuries for it's strategic location and resources. Russia 's "client" states are Iran and Syria, but it has tentacles in Yemen and Lebanon too. The Russians desperately need a win in the war in Ukraine. They bankrolled Iran, indirectly financing the Hamas attacks. Israel knew a year ago. Netanyahu is in Putin's pocket the same way Trump and others are. Here, the Russians have bought off a lot of American politicians.

by Anonymousreply 268December 12, 2023 4:38 PM

R260, the anticipated coup and civil war were internal but they were the result of chaos in the United States caused by external actors. Who the actors are isn't specified. That's not the point of the movie.

Scott's client had nothing to do with what happened, he simply noticed that there was strange chatter on the markets globally - same with Danny who was a survivalist and had stocked up because he'd heard strange chatter on the survivalists' networks. Same with the Thornes, who got Danny to install the underground bunker.

People are trying to twist this movie into some kind of political commentary that fits in with their own political views. It's not a political movie in that way. It's a thriller. All it sets out to do is get the audience to contemplate how we'd react if the world about us started collapsing, regardless of the cause.

by Anonymousreply 269December 12, 2023 5:09 PM

I hope there’s condoms in the bunker because you know Clay is going to get to fucking Ruth and the last thing anyone needs is a screaming, stinky baby around.

by Anonymousreply 270December 12, 2023 5:13 PM

R92 The best "animals acting strangely" scene is in The Omen unless someone has a better example.

by Anonymousreply 271December 12, 2023 6:09 PM

R270 Yeah they foreshadowed that! Though she looked older than the average student. I looked her up and she's 27 in real life, plus she looks it, which is why she was chosen for Industry I guess.

by Anonymousreply 272December 12, 2023 6:38 PM

R271, ITA!! Scared the crap out of me.

by Anonymousreply 273December 12, 2023 6:43 PM

R270, she said he wasn't that type.

by Anonymousreply 274December 12, 2023 8:23 PM

We’ll see when they’re locked in a bunker for a few years avoiding the radiation outside.

The wife will certainly hook up with G.H., especially if there’s some 90’s hip hop records lying around. How about some Ginuwine’s Pony or Silk’s Freak Me? After that, Clay can bang Ruth.

Or if he won’t, maybe toothless can get some action.

by Anonymousreply 275December 12, 2023 8:30 PM

R272 I figured the 96 tattoo on her shoulder was her birth year. When they first came to the door, I thought she was the wife, not the daughter. She does look/act her real age. But she was supposed to be 22-23.

Conversely , I was shocked the boy is 33. He actually could pass as 17. Maybe he has the same slow puberty thing Ralph Macchio has.

by Anonymousreply 276December 12, 2023 8:34 PM

The son lost his teeth, and then lost his plot. It was clearly just a weird excuse to go over to the Survivalist neighbor. But there's literally nothing that causes teeth to fall out that fast (one day!) or that weird black bile vomit. It would have been a lot more sinister if it were a lot more believable. I mean, given what we saw, is there ANY indication that anything like antibiotics would actually help? Nope. And of course the moment he got the pills, he had no more scenes and served no more purpose. Really bad writing, imho.

by Anonymousreply 277December 12, 2023 8:34 PM

I was expecting that when he got bit by the tick(?) it had infected blood from an infected deer (that’s why they were acting so weird) that got into his bloodstream. And the teeth falling out and black barf was him turning into some infected monster. I thought this was heading into more of a sci-fi area. (Actually, that sounds a lot like that terrible Dreamcatcher movie from around 2003).

But…he got sick from radiation and sirens I guess.

by Anonymousreply 278December 12, 2023 8:51 PM

...and the way nobody else was worried about "catching" whatever he had was also .... dumb.

by Anonymousreply 279December 12, 2023 11:42 PM

[quote] Coffee ground vomitus is vomit that looks like coffee grounds due to the presence of old blood. Possible causes include gastric ulcers, esophageal varices, gastritis, and more.

by Anonymousreply 280December 14, 2023 5:17 AM

[quote]belligerent deer

Would be a good band name.

by Anonymousreply 281December 14, 2023 5:19 AM

How do some of you not under stand the animals? There were audio attacks, do you think they didn't hear it? They were like WTF? Look on YouTube there are plenty of videos where animals, even in the wild ask humans for help.

by Anonymousreply 282December 14, 2023 4:22 PM

Overall, I liked it except for that ending.

by Anonymousreply 283December 14, 2023 4:28 PM

R282 The first deer showed up before the audio attacks began, though.

by Anonymousreply 284December 14, 2023 4:28 PM

Completely off topic of the discussion, but I caught in the credits that the music was by Mac Quayle.

If you were in the club scene in the mid 90's to early 2000's, you'd have heard many remixes he did on his own and with Hex Hector as HQ2.

by Anonymousreply 285December 14, 2023 4:30 PM

Animals can hear noises humans can't and they probably heard shit before we did.

by Anonymousreply 286December 14, 2023 5:04 PM

Too many unanswered questions.

by Anonymousreply 287December 14, 2023 6:17 PM

Which is exactly the whole fucking point, r287.

by Anonymousreply 288December 14, 2023 6:19 PM

R287 There's a difference between leaving certain aspects of the story open to interpretation and plain ol' lazy writing.

This movie looked like something written by Ryan Murphy - ridiculous plots that go nowhere, red herrings that are meaningless, lots of glitz, but little substance.

by Anonymousreply 289December 14, 2023 6:32 PM

I just watched it and it kept me occupied. I didn't love it nor hate it.

by Anonymousreply 290December 14, 2023 6:49 PM

The fact that there is literally no POSSIBLE physical explanation for the loud sounds... at least the way they were presented. The sound had to be coming from SOMEWHERE. SOMETHING had to produce it. It's not that they were vague or whatever, it's that what they showed onscreen is literally impossible.

by Anonymousreply 291December 14, 2023 11:42 PM

It took me three days to finish this movie because I kept falling asleep.

by Anonymousreply 292December 15, 2023 12:50 AM

I finished it but I was angry. I felt manipulated.

by Anonymousreply 293December 15, 2023 2:04 PM

Again, that is the point to all art and entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 294December 15, 2023 2:08 PM

[quote]Too many unanswered questions.

If you were isolated with no internet, TV or radio and there was a major occurrence would you have all the answers?

by Anonymousreply 295December 15, 2023 3:34 PM

[QUOTE] The son lost his teeth, and then lost his plot. It was clearly just a weird excuse to go over to the Survivalist neighbor. And of course the moment he got the pills, he had no more scenes and served no more purpose.

Because he stopped being hot when he lost his teeth. He was useless.

by Anonymousreply 296December 15, 2023 3:56 PM

Just saw a thing pop up on a neswfeed from some guy who watched several times to see missed things from his first viewing. There is a woman still strapped in her airline seat on the beach with the plane wreckage who is alive and her head follows George running. I didn't notice it but it is creepy.

by Anonymousreply 297December 15, 2023 8:55 PM

Continuity error. ;)

by Anonymousreply 298December 15, 2023 9:43 PM

A24 already beat Netflix to the sequel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299December 15, 2023 11:30 PM

[quote]there are plenty of videos where animals, even in the wild ask humans for help

This happened to me back in the 80s while hitch-hiking through Yellowstone. Four of us were in a car and we spotted a limping wolf on the road. We stopped the car and it came over to my backseat window and looked right at me. It was non-threatening and made us feel terrible because we didn’t know how to help it.

by Anonymousreply 300December 15, 2023 11:31 PM

Got 41 million views in 3 days. In line to be one of Netflix biggest first week number

by Anonymousreply 301December 16, 2023 3:52 AM

It took me all afternoon to watch this garbage, mainly because: this thread! I kept stopping it to take care of my animals and look things up. The microwave they were hit with was not real. You can't hear it; radar uses microwave focuesed signals and reads their echoes. Microwave in an intense focused form boils the water in food. You can't hear it. But you would need a transmission device and it would be impossible to broadcast it over a wide area like that neighborhood. That's just one thing. This Esmail, or the original author, had a tremendous dislike for women; every woman on there was whiny, snarky or just plain ridiculously dumb, like the friends addict daughter played by the latest nepo baby out of Hollywood. Sorry, not sorry I hated it. Neither good social commentary, intelligent science, or reasonable plotline. A total waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 302December 16, 2023 6:05 AM

Couldn’t finish this dreck.

by Anonymousreply 303December 16, 2023 6:29 AM

What friend's addict daughter? I must have missed her.

by Anonymousreply 304December 16, 2023 1:33 PM

^^Friends addict, I tried to say. Very late/early in the AM. The show, Friends, to which frog-face nepo baby was addicted.

by Anonymousreply 305December 16, 2023 6:43 PM

And Mac Quayle's doom descending music, same subsonic boom over and over, was very effective at first and then exhausting. You can't get audiences fearful anticipation up over and over like that and never pay off. He might as well have gone with misterioso pizzicato at some point and given the show a campy turn. But no, let's finish with that damn Rembrandts "Friends" theme and frog-face smiling like an idiot at the screen. She's seeing The Last One! As the nukes (which never flashed in unmoored Manhattan, (which had already floated in an unexplained tectonic shift across from Connecticut) make my subwoofers grumble like unfed stoats.

by Anonymousreply 306December 16, 2023 6:57 PM

They had the title screens that foreshadowed what was going to happen in each segment of the movie, then they had "The Floods," but there were no floods, just a rainstorm.

That was really stupid.

by Anonymousreply 307December 16, 2023 7:06 PM

The special effects and CGI in this movie were really cheesy and cheap looking.

When the father comes to the door with his daughter in the beginning, it's obvious they're standing in front of a green screen. And the plane crashing on the beach looked especially ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 308December 16, 2023 7:10 PM

That's another thing... what are the chances that two planes crash into the same beach in the same way within a day of each other? Seriously, that was really weird. Either find a crashed plane, or witness a plane crashing, but both?

by Anonymousreply 309December 16, 2023 7:13 PM

I thought the same, R308. It was especially obvious when that vessel beached.

by Anonymousreply 310December 16, 2023 7:14 PM

Because they didn’t buy a real tanker and ground it on the north shore of Lawnguyland? That’s what disappointed you?

by Anonymousreply 311December 16, 2023 7:36 PM

R311 No, sweetie. But perhaps if they had a larger budget, they could have made the scene look more realistic.

Do you think James Cameron sunk an actual replica of the Titanic?

by Anonymousreply 312December 16, 2023 7:41 PM

How would you make such a ridiculous scene, fake in its conceit, “realistic?” —asking you Bubble.

by Anonymousreply 313December 16, 2023 8:35 PM

R313 Well, sweetie, plane crashes are real, so one would try and make them look...you know...real.

by Anonymousreply 314December 16, 2023 8:52 PM

More for you assholes to complain about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315December 16, 2023 9:02 PM

It was just CGI done on the cheap, R311.

by Anonymousreply 316December 16, 2023 9:10 PM

I know…so how is that somehow disappointing to you or to those complaining posters above? It’s an everyday thing on Netflix. It’s to be expected. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 317December 16, 2023 11:58 PM

R300 wolves are territorial so maybe the one you saw came to you to silently to tell you to get off my lawn.

by Anonymousreply 318December 17, 2023 12:12 AM

The one funny line was when the son was pulling out his teeth and Julia tells him, Stop doing that!

by Anonymousreply 319December 17, 2023 12:13 AM

It's a genre film where strange things are occurring that the characters don't understand. What the fuck are some of you wanting exactly? It was ok for what it was. This is the kind of movie that would've opened in the summer in years past. It's not trying to be high art. Just entertaining with some ideas. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. Julia was actually quite good but Ali's daughter who I'd never seen before stole the show for me. She has a career coming. She's got it.

by Anonymousreply 320December 17, 2023 1:56 AM

Let other people have an opinion, R320, R317

by Anonymousreply 321December 17, 2023 9:20 AM

Did you shake your fist when you posted R321?

by Anonymousreply 322December 17, 2023 10:48 AM

He yells at clouds in his spare time.

by Anonymousreply 323December 17, 2023 11:50 AM

Who doesn't?

by Anonymousreply 324December 17, 2023 11:53 AM

Yet another one of those "Ending Explained!" articles that doesn't actually explain much.... but still:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325December 17, 2023 7:22 PM

Jesus, clueless people are going on the internet to figure out the ending of a movie where people have no internet and actually don't have a clue what's going. We are doomed.

by Anonymousreply 326December 17, 2023 10:04 PM

There was nothing to understand. It was a nothing ball so no “explanation” is actually required.

by Anonymousreply 327December 18, 2023 12:44 AM

The special effects looked fine but the movie was shit.

by Anonymousreply 328December 18, 2023 12:50 AM

Unsatisfying

by Anonymousreply 329December 18, 2023 2:31 AM

Bird Box + Knock at the Cabin + It Comes at Night + Red Dawn + Old + A Quiet Place = this movie

by Anonymousreply 330December 25, 2023 10:52 PM

Why does such an old couple have such young kids?

by Anonymousreply 331December 25, 2023 10:59 PM

R330 What about Mother and Us?

by Anonymousreply 332December 25, 2023 11:00 PM

I really enjoyed the movie, although I didn't like Julia's character. There were some things I didn't understand: why did the son's teeth fall out and nobody else's? How the hell did the daughter know to go to that particular house, and why didn't she go find her family when she found out it was a cyber/terrorist attack? Instead she just started watching Friends.

by Anonymousreply 333December 25, 2023 11:03 PM

SHE didn't find out it was a terrorist attack or anything.

She was a spoiled little self-absorbed kid. She saw "Friends" and that was the ONLY thing on her mind. Not that her parents might be worried sick wondering where she went.

by Anonymousreply 334December 25, 2023 11:28 PM

R331 That was also my reaction, but then she talked about the kids and I realized she was infantilizing the daughter for sure, and her son was a big baby too. Sheltered and protected by a crazy, misogynistic asshole mother.

by Anonymousreply 335December 26, 2023 12:51 AM

Unless I missed it, it seems like Netflix is not doing any bragging about how many people watched this POS.

by Anonymousreply 336December 26, 2023 4:35 AM

[quote]Why does such an old couple have such young kids?

What are you talking about, the son is 28.

by Anonymousreply 337December 26, 2023 10:39 AM

R337 the actor is (or older) but the character is a teen

by Anonymousreply 338December 26, 2023 11:03 AM

Don't know if it's come up yet but there's some 1619 Project allusions.

The race situation is a little more clever in the book. And the uncertainty of the situation is a main focus. It has little more room for the imagination than the movie I'd say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339December 26, 2023 2:00 PM

Parents in New York skew older. That was one of the more believable aspects.

What was amazing is that they start out on the South Shore of pre-Hamptons EasternSuffolk County (exit 74, that lovely ocean beach!), then they are apparently *maybe* by the Nassau/Suffolk county line in one of the Jones Beach communities-ish if there were more land in those communities (the one way off plot) then they are in Northern Nassau (the first view of the city) and they are in Northern Queens by the final view of the bombing of Manhattan.

And Long Island is densely populated- all of it; from the Gold Coast mansion areas to the farms of the North Fork to shelter island; none of it looks like wherever this movie was.

by Anonymousreply 340December 26, 2023 9:56 PM

How likely is it for a near 60 year old to have a 13 year old though, R340. Parents are older these days, but most are still under 40-45 when their kids are born.

by Anonymousreply 341December 26, 2023 9:58 PM

For upper middle class and above women in New York, pretty common. They freeze their eggs, do IVF, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342December 26, 2023 10:07 PM

Who do you think was 60 years old in this movie?!?

by Anonymousreply 343December 26, 2023 10:36 PM

Julia Roberts is 56 in real life. It is not unreasonable to think she could have had a child at 43

by Anonymousreply 344December 26, 2023 11:49 PM

I think Hollywood is still passing Julia as mid to late 40s because she's Julia Roberts. Like Meryl did many times.

by Anonymousreply 345December 29, 2023 4:07 AM

She will always be America's Hollywood Blvd hooker with a heart of gold!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346December 29, 2023 12:50 PM

I know I’m nitpicking, but I’m pretty sure that before I notice a watch apparently just laying on the beach, I would probably be too distracted by the carnage of a crashed jet surrounding it.

But that’s just me.

by Anonymousreply 347December 31, 2023 3:42 AM

Also, what was the story of the shack and the impression on the ground left by someone sleeping. As with nearly everything in the movie, it meant nothing.

by Anonymousreply 348December 31, 2023 3:44 AM

[quote] I was so disappointed that the deers didn't attack Ruth. —R94

Oh, deer.

by Anonymousreply 349December 31, 2023 4:14 AM

R262, is your friend’s initials PF? Brcause he’s damn obnoxious when we’ve worked together on sets.

by Anonymousreply 350December 31, 2023 4:31 PM

R350 Do tell!

by Anonymousreply 351December 31, 2023 8:52 PM

What a piece of shit.

Julia looked like hell and her hair looked like a pelt.

by Anonymousreply 352January 1, 2024 7:37 AM

So many holes in this piece of shit you could drive a self driving Tesla through them, or, uh, it could drive itself! So, a couple of things I haven't seen on here: When Ethan Hawke drives to town, suddenly the town has disappeared and all there is is a long stretch of road going endlessly away towards nowhere. And then a woman shows up. She obviously works in this ritzy area, but she can't speak a word of English, not even, "por favor, phone, please! Me call!" The reason, it seems, that the "boy" gets sick and noone else does is that he says he should have put his hands over his ears sooner when the noise happens. Yeah, that's why his teeth fall out. (or would have had he not pulled them out himself!) I'm glad they sort of addressed why the family who lived there didn't immediately move back upstairs when the other family left. But it still was pretty stupid. You could see someone question this when they were filming and someone said, "Let's have her question her dad why they are still in the basement." And of course, you immediately hate the mother from the first scene. Horrible and the ending was the least of it.

by Anonymousreply 353January 1, 2024 3:23 PM

Nothing to see here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354March 28, 2024 3:33 AM

They literally have to tell you what they are going to escape karmic ties. If you say nothing it is considered consent.

by Anonymousreply 355March 28, 2024 3:37 AM

R355, did that make sense in your head?

by Anonymousreply 356March 28, 2024 3:56 AM

Charlie Evans is NOT 32.

by Anonymousreply 357March 28, 2024 4:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!