Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fallout - Amazon Prime's new big budget video game adaptation, trailer released today. Can it succeed like "The Last Of Us"?

The original Fallout games which came out in the late 90s had excellent storytelling, but the modern entries have left much to be desired. That being said, the setting and world itself has always been compelling in the games. The universe of Fallout is an alternate timeline of Earth's history. It's a retrofuturist world with a 1950s sci-fi aesthetic. i asked chat gpt to summarize the setting to make it easier.

'In the Fallout universe, an alternate history unfolds where the world diverged from ours after World War II, adopting a retrofuturistic aesthetic centered around atomic technology. The United States and China become embroiled in a resource war, escalating into a devastating conflict. The Great War of 2077 culminates in a nuclear apocalypse, transforming the world into a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Vault-Tec, a pre-war corporation, constructs underground vaults to shelter select citizens from the devastation.'

vault-tec is a company that built nuclear survival shelters all across the usa, but most of them are actually designed to be cruel social experiments with human guinea pigs. Most of the games have you leaving a vault to explore and interact with the outside post-apocalyptic world - with humans trying to rebuild society amongst mutants and monsters created by radiation. The games are highly acclaimed and Fallout is considered to be one of the greatest franchises in gaming history. fallout 1, 2, and new vegas are particularly known for good writing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99April 27, 2024 11:01 AM

How did I not know about this?! I love Fallout: the storylines, the aesthetics, everything. I’m so excited!!

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2023 9:58 PM

r1 i was pretty surprised to see kyle maclachlan, i hope he has a major role.

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2023 10:01 PM

r1 which ones in the series did you play?

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2023 10:41 PM

Just 3, 4, and New Vegas, R3, but I still go back to them and play again just to be in that world.

Which do you like best?

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2023 11:27 PM

[quote]The games are highly acclaimed and Fallout is considered to be one of the greatest franchises in gaming history. fallout 1, 2, and new vegas are particularly known for good writing.

True, which is why "Fallout" being on Amazon is so CONCERNING. Like most HBO shows, "The Last of Us" is astoundingly well-written and well-acted. Amazon Prime, in contrast, spent a completely and utterly BATSHIT amount of money on its craven play for nerd attention in the craptastic "Rings of Power," which at $700 million-plus for a SINGLE SEASON is hands-down the most expensive TV show ever made. "Citadel," a spy drama with zero excuse for an obscene budget given its C+ list cast, cost $50M PER EPISODE.

Amazon has conclusively prove that it *is*, in fact, possible to spend far too much and get next to zilch in return, and most of its original shows make even Marvel's worst look decent in contrast.

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2023 11:38 PM

r5 they're bringing in the people who did westworld, but i've never seen it.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2023 2:04 AM

[quote][R5] they're bringing in the people who did westworld, but i've never seen it.

Not r5, but Westworld lasted only 4 seasons and the last two were not well-received, so that's not a ringing endorsement.

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2023 2:25 AM

This looks great! I had no knowledge of it before seeing this thread. Thanks OP - I'll be watching. I googled and it's being released on April 12, 2024 so still a while to go yet.

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2023 2:31 AM

r4 2 and new vegas for sure. 4 was pretty fun with mods but that game put too much effort into the half baked settlement system, the world as a whole feels dull and unfinished.

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2023 2:30 PM

FO 2 and New Vegas were by far the best. I bought 4 because of them, but was a bit disappointed. Still a good game, but nearly as good as the others.

The show takes place in LA, but the Brotherhood of Steel is there and no NCR in sight? Hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2023 2:45 PM

Also, it's not Fallout without the Inkspots in the trailer.

Nat King Cole is fine, but the Inkspots make Fallout.

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2023 2:52 PM

I’ve only played 4 and 76; are 2 and New Vegas still worth playing now?

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2023 4:59 PM

r12 2 is really outdated as far as the ui and graphics but if you can get past that it's the best game in the series. it's a top down isometric crpg, like baldurs gate or wasteland rather than a first person action game. New Vegas is similar to 4 and 76 with gameplay but has much better writing/setting, since it was made by the original developers (Obsidian) rather than Bethesda who bought the license previously. It has aged fine, not spectacularly, I would recommend playing it with mods maybe looking for something like a vanilla plus modlist that you could just batch install with vortex or something

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2023 5:06 PM

Fallout 2 is not if you're seeking a modern gameplaying experience.

New Vegas still holds up fairly well, but is from 2010, so visuals and game mechanics will reflect PS3 limitations, but is still good. Obviously, if you're playing on PC, modern gaming computers should easily be able to handle it.

Fallout 3 is good (released before New Vegas), but not as good as New Vegas.

Many people have noted a big shift in the game that started with FO3, but became really apparent in FO4.

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2023 5:09 PM

todd howard, head of bethesda (the company that took ownership of fallout after fallout 2) speaking on the tv show. he's highly involved apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2023 12:20 AM

How long after the bombs dropped did people start leaving the vaults?

by Anonymousreply 16February 3, 2024 2:51 AM

R16 In the canon I think 25 years later is the earliest known depiction of vault dwellers coming back to the surface.

by Anonymousreply 17February 3, 2024 12:49 PM

Official trailer.

Out April 11.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 7, 2024 1:32 PM

I guess they're going to incorporate different installments of the game into the show because the only one that shows the world before everyone goes into the vault is Fallout 4, if I recall correctly. And it looks like Dogmeat (the dog) is in this who is also from Fallout 4, so if they're mainly basing it off of 4, I'm definitely watching. 4 had one of the best beginnings of all the games, imo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 7, 2024 1:50 PM

I have to say… this looks pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 20March 7, 2024 2:21 PM

so is the ghoul implied to be the same vault tec salesman as the guy from 4?

by Anonymousreply 21March 8, 2024 10:26 AM

I can't recall that I ever saw an Amazon Prime mini/series that impressed me. Fleabag is an exception, I think, though it was a co-production as I think were the scant few Amazon productions that I thought respectable or at least not bad.

I'm always puzzled that they sink huge sums into the series they do.

by Anonymousreply 22March 8, 2024 11:29 AM

All eight episodes out April 10th, a day early.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 10, 2024 3:38 AM

I liked Fallout 4. I found the climax very emotional.

by Anonymousreply 24April 10, 2024 6:03 AM

[quote] todd howard, head of bethesda (the company that took ownership of fallout after fallout 2) speaking on the tv show. he's highly involved apparently.

Am I the only dupe STILL wanting this guy to hurry along with Elder Scrolls 6?

by Anonymousreply 25April 10, 2024 6:19 AM

R25 there's no way it'll be out before 2030 or 2032ish

by Anonymousreply 26April 10, 2024 6:56 AM

r24 Shhhh. Don't tell them about Shaun. That might be a spoiler for the series.

by Anonymousreply 27April 10, 2024 7:01 AM

[quote]Am I the only dupe STILL wanting this guy to hurry along with Elder Scrolls 6?

Bethesda still can't figure out how to stop object wall clipping. One crisis at a time, r25.

by Anonymousreply 28April 10, 2024 7:03 AM

Also in Fallout 4, Danse was as hot as hell. No spoilers there either. The voice actor looks nothing like him, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 29April 10, 2024 11:21 AM

Noseless Walton Goggins?

by Anonymousreply 30April 10, 2024 11:25 AM

Is the Last of Us ever returning?

by Anonymousreply 31April 10, 2024 11:28 AM

Ooooh the first episode has lots of shirtless and ass shots of Cameron Cowperthwaite. You can even see his penis in a reflection of a sliding glass door.

by Anonymousreply 32April 11, 2024 9:48 AM

10 years of cousin stuff before Lucy tried the real thing! Chet’s tongue must have callouses.

by Anonymousreply 33April 11, 2024 12:49 PM

I'm liking it so far. Getting confused with one of the cast tho: the skinny (guy?). Looks like a dude but has a girl's voice. A trans?

by Anonymousreply 34April 11, 2024 1:30 PM

I am about to start watching and do not plan to hold back on the viciousness, should it be merited. Basic conceit sounds a bit like Silo, doesn't it? But which came first, this video game or that book?

by Anonymousreply 35April 11, 2024 1:38 PM

The scenes with Ellen Purnell (Lucy), Kyle Maclachan, and Walton Goggins are great but any scene with Aaron Moten (Maximum) drag on and seem like they’re part of a separate show.

by Anonymousreply 36April 11, 2024 1:42 PM

If only there were a website, r35, into which one could input questions and receive responsive URLs.

Which I just did. Fallout is vastly older than the Silo series. 14 years to be exact.

by Anonymousreply 37April 11, 2024 1:45 PM

I said I was watching the show, I can't be googling stuff at the same time. Or do you wish for me to miss important information in the show itself, causing me to ask superfluous questions?

by Anonymousreply 38April 11, 2024 1:50 PM

R34 yes, that was my assumption.

by Anonymousreply 39April 11, 2024 1:54 PM

Opening of the first episode was INCREDIBLE. I made sure to have a good look at Walton's cute perky nose because judging from the trailer, I won't be seeing it anymore.

I enjoy Ella Purnell in Yellowjackets and have just found out she was voicing of the leads in Star Trek: Prodigy as well, a show I love dearly. Had no idea she was British, her American accent is flawless.

by Anonymousreply 40April 11, 2024 2:02 PM

Show is exec produced by Lynda Carter's cute son, James Altman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 11, 2024 2:10 PM

Maximus actor looks like a cross between Jonathan Majors and Denzel. My brain keeps switching between the two, his face is like a Magic Eye picture.

by Anonymousreply 42April 11, 2024 2:57 PM

R42 it’s funny you should say that because I thought it was a de-aged Denzel in the first scene.

by Anonymousreply 43April 11, 2024 3:02 PM

I thought he looks like Jordan Peele in some angles.

by Anonymousreply 44April 11, 2024 3:20 PM

Some reviews…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 11, 2024 6:23 PM

It's wildly entertaining, I hate that I'm two episodes down and only have six more left.

by Anonymousreply 46April 11, 2024 6:25 PM

I'm mixed on it, I don't love it but I'm not sure what's off. It's got a lot of cowbell, a lot of juice, but the writing is pretty meh and the humor is mid. Great visuals

by Anonymousreply 47April 11, 2024 6:26 PM

The humour seems very French to me, in that nothing anyone says or does is outright hilarious, but the whole setup and each scenario people find themselves in are chuckleworthy. I'm constantly amused and bemused instead of laughing out loud, and I'm kinda loving that vibe.

I do admit I'm kinda bothered that characters keep bumping into each other. What are the odds of that happening on the American continent?

by Anonymousreply 48April 11, 2024 6:35 PM

I'm sure most of America is uninhabitable. Does this take place in what used to be Los Angeles?

by Anonymousreply 49April 11, 2024 7:32 PM

Please R49. Los Angeles is uninhabitable now.

by Anonymousreply 50April 11, 2024 8:12 PM

I loved the first episode and look forward to the rest. Watched it last night. Ella Purnell is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 51April 11, 2024 8:16 PM

So many character actors! Walton Goggins, Michael Emerson, Dale Dickey...

by Anonymousreply 52April 11, 2024 8:28 PM

The detail of the human fingers inside the gulper's mouth was actually pretty sweet. Quite eager to see what they'll do with the deathclaw. I'm hoping they don't disappoint with not only its introduction, but its design and portrayal, either.

by Anonymousreply 53April 12, 2024 1:20 PM

Ooh, they should do an introduction like this. Once Bethesda removed the feature where the rest of the world would "freeze" during dialogue scenes, it left the opportunity for incredibly funny shit like this to happen.

Note: This clip isn't part of the game script. It's just something that happened during this particular player's gameplay because "life" continued to happen in Fallout 4 even during dialogue with quest characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 12, 2024 1:29 PM

R48 the game has that kind of humour as well. They captured it pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 55April 12, 2024 2:03 PM

Ella Purnell looks like a young Susan Sarandon.

by Anonymousreply 56April 12, 2024 4:59 PM

Nudity!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 12, 2024 5:22 PM

[quote]Fallout Show Reviews Are Nearly Unanimous

Funny. I've seen two reviews from the usual fanboy outlets that say that the show nails the look and feel, but the first 4 episodes are a slog because the characters aren't all that engaging.

by Anonymousreply 58April 12, 2024 5:37 PM

Was that father and son Erik Estrada and Sebastian Croft 's ex? Such random cameos.

by Anonymousreply 59April 12, 2024 7:34 PM

How did Moldaver survive without being in a vault?

by Anonymousreply 60April 13, 2024 1:16 PM

I think it's implied she got herself frozen somehow somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 61April 13, 2024 3:48 PM

Just finished the last episode. Binged the shit out of it, just couldn't stop. So entertaining, I want a new season NOW! Some random thoughts...

Not a moment of shitty CG, which I found really surprising. Is it possible we're at that point technologically where this won't be an issue anymore? About time, too.

I love the slightly faggy way Goggins walks in, I noticed it in Justified originally. Olyphant has that same walk and it's always made me giggle a little.

Why have I never heard of the Maximus actor before? He's really good! Got homo vibes from certain neck mannerisms of his, I'm really good at clocking those.

My favourite bit was the insane height difference between Lucy's brother and that pip boy. Such a cute duo, shame they've gone separate ways now.

Chris Parnell makes me feel like a kid again. I adore that man.

by Anonymousreply 62April 13, 2024 7:44 PM

On the old TV Without Pity board Olyphant's nickname was Clench.

by Anonymousreply 63April 13, 2024 8:51 PM

Did anyone else notice that annoying guy Bud was the talking brain in the last episode?

by Anonymousreply 64April 13, 2024 9:05 PM

I’m loving it. One of the best shows I’ve seen in awhile. Walter Goggins is one of my favorite actors.

by Anonymousreply 65April 14, 2024 10:36 PM

I’m kinda enjoying this more than the last of us.

by Anonymousreply 66April 14, 2024 10:38 PM

CX-404 is a GOOD doggie!

But I am beginning to think that it is possible to have to much Ink Spots.

by Anonymousreply 67April 14, 2024 10:45 PM

Walton, not Walter.

by Anonymousreply 68April 15, 2024 10:18 AM

I am liking it a lot so far (3rd episode) but the constant use of oldies music is extremely anoying.

by Anonymousreply 69April 15, 2024 11:13 PM

You've never played Fallout have you?

by Anonymousreply 70April 15, 2024 11:14 PM

Is that all we’re getting for this first season is eight episodes?

by Anonymousreply 71April 15, 2024 11:56 PM

Actor playing Maximus has really nice veneers, but I also noticed some amalgam filings in the back. So, best of both worlds. He's a working actor, very relatable.

by Anonymousreply 72April 16, 2024 4:34 AM

*fillings

by Anonymousreply 73April 16, 2024 4:34 AM

I know nothing of this Fallout. I saw an annoying countdown for it on Amazon and my Amazon Fresh grocery order was delivered today in blue bags with the Fallout logo.

In today's world a grocery bag ad = masterpiece.

No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 74April 16, 2024 4:40 AM

I'm picturing you peering at the logo through your monocle and turning away with a dismissive sniff.

by Anonymousreply 75April 16, 2024 5:27 AM

Why thank you, R75.

You know the bags have a weird finish. They're paper but I was actually wondering if they were recyclable.

by Anonymousreply 76April 16, 2024 5:32 AM

I'm seeing more and more mutterings like r66's, i.e. that it's better than The Last of Us. Which is lowkey embarrassing for HBO's parade horse, they really need to step it up next season. Make it tauter and more action-packed.

I was taken by Moisés Arias' huge schnoz and assumed it was Semitic in nature. But apparently his parents are both Colombian. Is he a Colombian Jew or what? In any case, it's a marvel and I'm sad he avoids taking profile shots on his Insta, he's clearly self-conscious about it. Anyway, here's his tooshie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 16, 2024 4:41 PM

First episode was thrilling; maybe there's an advantage to knowing zero about the game or perhaps its more exciting to fans. I just liked the premise, watched it with no preconceived ideas..i didnt even know it was recently released or the next big thing...and loved it. The female lead, Lucy, is bloody brilliant.; she should be a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 78April 16, 2024 4:51 PM

Walton Goggins is finally getting his due. I can see him winning an Oscar in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 79April 16, 2024 4:56 PM

[quote]The female lead, Lucy, is bloody brilliant.; she should be a movie star.

I was just thinking earlier today I'd like someone like her to get cast in the new Jurassic Park movies. She'd be great opposite Jonathan Bailey. Instead, we're getting tired ol' ScarJo.

by Anonymousreply 80April 16, 2024 5:01 PM

Count me in with those who thought this is better than the The Last of Us. I like the humor in this as well as a more likable cast.

by Anonymousreply 81April 16, 2024 5:33 PM

So will Lucy and The Ghoul end up together with Maximus as a villain?

by Anonymousreply 82April 17, 2024 12:24 AM

I had no idea that Ella Purnell is British.

by Anonymousreply 83April 17, 2024 4:48 AM

She really should be teaching the American accent to certain other British actors who are less talented in that department.

by Anonymousreply 84April 17, 2024 4:52 AM

I stopped gaming a few decades ago but have always been intrigued by what I’ve seen of Fallout in the press. I adore the apocalyptic 50’s vibe, and I’m so happy to finally be able to engage with this world.

2 episodes in and I’m really enjoying it. I loved the actress that told our main character to fuck off, but then ended up sending her on a quest. Such intense eyes! She was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 85April 17, 2024 5:43 AM

That's Dale Dickey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 17, 2024 6:20 AM

Just finished the last episode. Wildly entertaining, but all the Easter eggs went right over my head, since I don’t shit about Fallout lore. Every actor was excellent, but that HUGE eyed girl who is the protagonist is a STAR.

Looking forward to season 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 18, 2024 6:35 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88April 19, 2024 4:27 PM

This thread has convinced me to give it a shot. I didn't like the video game series, but this looks promising.

by Anonymousreply 89April 19, 2024 4:30 PM

The Brotherhood storyline is the weak link. The show drags every time it goes back to Maximus.

by Anonymousreply 90April 20, 2024 3:07 AM

I have never played Fall Out so have no preconceptions about the series. I found it visually stunning and well paced very happy to see Season 2 is happening.

by Anonymousreply 91April 20, 2024 4:24 AM

Just binged all eight episodes. Great show! I agree that Maximus was the weak part. The actor didn’t quite engage me. At all. Thaddeus’ mangled foot was gnarly. I loved that part.

Kyle Maclachlan, Walton Goggins, Ella Purcell, tiny little Moises Arias- all great. I didn’t expect Goggins to have such a big role in the show, but I’m glad he did. I enjoy him as an actor. Every time I see him I think of him saying ‘you dusty old queef’ from Vice Principals and I laugh.

I hope we don’t have to wait too long for season two. I bet New Vegas with all those rich people is going to be wild. And I want to know what happened to Cooper’s family right after the bombs fell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 20, 2024 3:40 PM

Loved it. I binged it too. Very well done and good actors. Not into video games either. Of the best shows I’ve seen in a while.

by Anonymousreply 93April 20, 2024 9:49 PM

[quote]I didn’t expect Goggins to have such a big role in the show, but I’m glad he did

Some of the best side quests in Fallout involve some pretty entertaining ghouls. They're some of the best NPCs in the game.

by Anonymousreply 94April 20, 2024 9:55 PM

New Vegas is definitely the best of the modern Fallouts story/setting wise. That’ll be awesome for Season 2. Looks like they are setting up a Mr.House based plot but I really hope Yes Man will be a character, I think it would be pretty easy to write in.

by Anonymousreply 95April 22, 2024 9:50 PM

Glad they are getting Emmy attention for this show. Well Deserved.

by Anonymousreply 96April 23, 2024 2:42 AM

Interesting breakdown of the timeline of the Fallout universe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 27, 2024 4:58 AM

I watched all of Fallout and it was excellent. Really well done.

by Anonymousreply 98April 27, 2024 5:16 AM

Thanks r97!

by Anonymousreply 99April 27, 2024 11:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!