Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netflix Original Series Dead Boy Detectives

Apparently, this was shunted from Max to Netflix earlier this year. It's technically a spinoff of Doom Patrol, although the leads were recast. The comic it's based on is a Sandman spinoff, and Neil Gaiman has said one of the Endless (I assume Kirby Howell-Baptiste's Death, although he was vague) will show up.

Jayden Revri who plays Rowland (who was played by DL Icon Sebastian Croft on Doom Patrol) gives some baby gay vibes, and DL Icon Lukas Gage has a recurring role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67April 30, 2024 10:43 PM

VotN, glad to see you! Hope all is well.

I never saw the Doom Patrol episode with Bash and the Tennent Targaryen twink, but heard it was pretty good and there was nice gay tension. I've enjoyed some of those Netflix occult shows like Hemlock Grove, Lockwood & Co, Locke & Key, The Bastard Son, Cabinet of Curiosities, & CAOS. I really enjoyed Sandman as well, so I'll definitely check this out when it comes out. It looks like the new actor Reveri might lay it on a little thick, but I'll save my judgements for the show. It also looks like the breathtakingly beautiful twink Charlie Besso might be in here (around 0:30), so that's certainly a reason to watch. Netflix is pissing me off with the constant price increases, but I'm a whore for shows with pretty twinks and/or occult stuff, also fresh anime like Castlevania: Nocturne. So, I guess I'll pay up.

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2023 4:21 PM

I thought the Doom Patrol episode with this team was awesome and was pissed when I heard they recast the roles. Feels like it's been ages since that aired and now this spinoff is finally here, seemingly out of nowhere. I'll give it a shot, the two boys in the thumbnail look handsome af.

Crazy to think that Sebastian Croft maybe got too famous for this gig in just two short years, how small the world seems sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2023 4:28 PM

[quote]Crazy to think that Sebastian Croft maybe got too famous for this gig in just two short years, how small the world seems sometimes.

He didn't. His newest gig is a bit part in a BBC series.

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2023 3:52 PM

Apparently I am not the target audience because it's way too dark and blurry for my 60 year old eyes.

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2023 4:10 PM

Who is the lady with the instantly iconic delivery at 0:55?

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2023 5:04 PM

Official trailer. Out April 25th.

The boys are both so faggy, I love it. Wish they made them into a couple, though. I'm actually more intrigued by this than I am by the next season of Sandman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 3, 2024 8:00 PM

It's been ages since I read the original Sandman comics, but didn't this series spin off from a certain storyline (which I won't spoil) that hasn't happened on the show yet? If they've already appeared on Doom Patrol I guess it doesn't matter. But they must have a different origin than the one I know.

by Anonymousreply 7April 4, 2024 7:36 AM

R7 Thought the same thing. So not tortured to death anymore?

by Anonymousreply 8April 4, 2024 7:59 AM

I need to see and Charles kith before the season is over.

by Anonymousreply 9April 4, 2024 10:24 AM

* and Charles

by Anonymousreply 10April 4, 2024 10:24 AM

You thought that helped, r10?

by Anonymousreply 11April 4, 2024 10:25 AM

r11 Oh dear, oh dear. I meant and Charles!

I clearly need to stop posting right after I wake up from a nap.

by Anonymousreply 12April 4, 2024 10:33 AM

* and Charles!

by Anonymousreply 13April 4, 2024 10:33 AM

Oh, okay, I see what's happening now: DL is censoring the name E...n, because his stalker wouldn't leave him alone through the years and he threatened legal action. It wasn't me being a damn idiot after all!

by Anonymousreply 14April 4, 2024 10:34 AM

All is forgiven.

by Anonymousreply 15April 4, 2024 11:01 AM

Looks fun. The characters are younger in the comics, yes?

by Anonymousreply 16April 4, 2024 11:47 AM

They certainly were younger when they popped in for a cameo on Doom Patrol.

by Anonymousreply 17April 4, 2024 11:51 AM

I guess the question is how gay for each other Rowland and Payne are able to be. Clearly, they’re setting up Rowland as one of the things DL hates (either “pan-“ or “queer”), but are they just going to queerbait with Payne or nah.

Obviously, Death will cameo in the finale to set up a cliffhanger in whether or not Payne goes back to Hell.

by Anonymousreply 18April 4, 2024 11:54 AM

Oh, so Kirby is actually playing Death in this as well? I thought they just cast her here because Gaiman was already familiar with her. That's wonderful, I loved that character.

by Anonymousreply 19April 4, 2024 11:58 AM

[quote] Oh, so Kirby is actually playing Death in this as well? I thought they just cast her here because Gaiman was already familiar with her. That's wonderful, I loved that character.

He said at the beginning that one of the Endless would be showing up. In the split-second shot of her in the trailer, she’s wearing her same costume from Sandman, ankh and all.

by Anonymousreply 20April 4, 2024 12:30 PM

So will we get the origin story for these guys in Sandman season 2, and will they use the same actors?

by Anonymousreply 21April 4, 2024 12:35 PM

Too similar to Lockwood and Co which Netflix canceled.

by Anonymousreply 22April 4, 2024 6:57 PM

These characters first appeared in The Sandman back in 1991 and got their own comic book in 1993. Lockwood & Co. is based on a book series first published in 2013. They might be similar, but we know for certain which came first.

I hope it's good and people watch it. I've had enough of shows like this getting cancelled because no one watches them. Deadly Class, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 23April 4, 2024 7:20 PM

[quote]These characters first appeared in The Sandman back in 1991 and got their own comic book in 1993. Lockwood & Co. is based on a book series first published in 2013. They might be similar, but we know for certain which came first.

They've been seen more recently. After Sandman: Overture, DC (with Gaiman's blessing, or at least a healthy payout for same) started publishing related titles under the banner Sandman Universe. Primarily limited series, but a few ongoings (that ran for about two years each). For the most part, they've been queer as hell. There were new volumes of Hellblazer and Lucifer (each with a bi lead), the volume of The Dreaming had a running plot where the Corinthian was banished to Earth to live as a mortal and got a human boyfriend, James Tynion wrote two limited series Nightmare Country and Nightmare Country: The Glass House that were about the Corinthian as well. And there was a Dead Boy Detectives mini as well, which ended with realizing he was in love with Charles.

Looking at the trailer, I'm wondering if the snippet of Charles telling "You are my best mate, I wouldn't want to be dead with anyone else" comes on the heels of Charles confessing his feelings.

I doubt they'd have the balls to have it be mutual.

Still, that's a brutally affective trailer. The combo of the subject matter with the My Chemical Romance song goes down smooth.

by Anonymousreply 24April 5, 2024 12:47 AM

[quote]Looking at the trailer, I'm wondering if the snippet of Charles telling "You are my best mate, I wouldn't want to be dead with anyone else" comes on the heels of Charles confessing his feelings.

confessing his feelings.

by Anonymousreply 25April 5, 2024 12:52 AM

E***n confessing his feelings.

Oh, let's just call him Paine, since we're going to be censored.

by Anonymousreply 26April 5, 2024 12:53 AM

You had to mention "Deadly Class" dammit... I watched that and LOVED it and was SO depressed when it was canceled.

by Anonymousreply 27April 5, 2024 2:06 PM

Yeah, that show was awesome, even if the constant and overlong narration wasn't that successfully translated from the comic book in my view. Great visuals, ever-present homoerotic ambience, and of course drop-dead gorgeous guys. God damn it.

by Anonymousreply 28April 5, 2024 2:30 PM

The two leads are so friggin' charismatic even in these short clips, I can't wait to binge this come Thursday. I bitched when they announced the recasting of the boys from the Doom Patrol cameo, but they made a good call – these two are really good actors and have an insane chemistry together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2024 4:49 PM

Just watched the first episode. I would give it a 6.5-7/10. The witch is deliciously campy.

by Anonymousreply 30April 25, 2024 9:14 AM

OK so all i know of these boys is from Seasons of the Mist in the sandman stories. What is this Doom patrol thing you talk of?

In the comics, they are young boys who are tortured to death in a Private school, as Hell has closed and the dead are back on Earth. Death chooses not to take them, and they go off adventuring from there.

So, comic wise, what have I missed since then? And how they exsist before Sandman has adapted Seasons of the Miist.

by Anonymousreply 31April 25, 2024 10:05 AM

How the fuck have you never heard of Doom Patrol?

by Anonymousreply 32April 25, 2024 2:35 PM

R32 Heard of it, never watched it.

by Anonymousreply 33April 26, 2024 12:47 AM

Back to the show, people. Back to the show.

by Anonymousreply 34April 26, 2024 3:36 AM

I've downloaded it, shall watch tonight. Just see no connection with Sandman.

by Anonymousreply 35April 26, 2024 3:52 AM

[quote]because his stalker wouldn't leave him alone through the years and he threatened legal action

He was the stalker.

by Anonymousreply 36April 26, 2024 4:31 AM

One thing I hate about this show is the constant editing of different camera angles every 3 seconds? Can’t we just have a static shot for about 15-20 seconds?

by Anonymousreply 37April 26, 2024 5:49 AM

Esther the witch is pure DL camp....she would be so welcome here!

I want Monty as my own pocket gayling

by Anonymousreply 38April 26, 2024 9:15 AM

R38 so far she’s my favorite part and I wouldn’t continue to watch without her.

by Anonymousreply 39April 26, 2024 12:28 PM

The witch was divine. The actress who played her made some really fun choices with her line delivery. I’m in love!

She showed up just in time too, the episode was starting to sag with that cheap made-in-soggy-Vancouver blandness that usually kills my interest in shows like this.

The two leads are awesome. I love these two characters from the comics so I had high hopes, and the boys are really quite fantastic. I quite like that they are now from different centuries, that’s a fun update.

I’m less charmed by the shouty angst psychic in the hideous wig. She’s not particularly convincing as a grump. I warmed to her when she softened up near the end of the episode, hopefully they’ll continue on with that path with the character.

by Anonymousreply 40April 26, 2024 2:24 PM

This is the only project I actually adored Lukas Gage in.

The recasting was a bit of genius. I was disappointed to hear that Ty Tennant and Sebastian Croft were not to be this version of The Dead Boy Detectives (especially considering they kept Ruth Connell as Night Nurse), but George Rexstrew and Jayden Revri are terrific.

by Anonymousreply 41April 26, 2024 9:08 PM

I honestly wasn’t expecting it to be this good. They knocked it out of the park.

I’ve only had a chance to watch the first episode, but for my money, I’m just going to repeat the same thing I said in the Sandman thread about the casting: Kirby Howell-Baptiste is Death in every way that actually matters.

by Anonymousreply 42April 27, 2024 11:15 AM

They are, at least, more attractive than Ty Tennant and Sebastian Croft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 27, 2024 4:42 PM

Jesus, Paine, a sexy cat guy wants in your pants.

That’s NOT a punishment.

by Anonymousreply 44April 27, 2024 8:05 PM

I get being a prissy repressed ghost, but he needs to let the Cat King lick his cream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 27, 2024 9:57 PM

I mean, I get it, he was programmed by Edwardian buggery laws, but he's also been out of hell for over 30 years at this point. He should have relaxed a little.

by Anonymousreply 46April 27, 2024 10:15 PM

Watched ep. 1 and deleted it from My List. Not my cup of tea. I had no idea it was based on a comic, but I suppose if you were a fan, you might like it. IMO, it doesn’t cover any unexploited territory thematically or visually. 🤷🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 47April 27, 2024 10:32 PM

Beautiful credits.

by Anonymousreply 48April 28, 2024 12:37 AM

(just rolling eyes at R47, who obviously never gives things time to breathe or establish themselves, but just snap-judges everything based on the most shallow of criteria)

by Anonymousreply 49April 28, 2024 2:07 AM

Just finished it, what a blast! Had so much fun, I just want to go on an adventure with these kids. Well, I say kids...

The two leads are insanely good at this, it's like they've been playing these roles for years. More acting chops and facial expressions in just the premiere than Ackles or Padalecki managed in however many seasons of that damn show. Ed is femmy in all the best ways, he is so precious to me.

Which reminds me, this show is like a funner, campier, faggier version of Supernatural. I've always wondered how much Kripke cribbed from Gaiman, and I've also always had a suspicion that American Gods would've killed it had Supernatural not come along sooner.

Niko felt like a cartoon at first, but she developed into a lovable character later on.

Never found Lukas Gage all that attractive, but he looks smoking hot with those cat eyes. Is that weird?

Actress playing Esther was something else – like Cruella de Vil if played by Jennifer Tilly, her line delivery was delicious. Is it just me or was the older version of her at the very end just a man in a wig?

Please make another season of this!

by Anonymousreply 50April 28, 2024 5:37 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention the most important thing of all: Monty's hairy arms are a marvel! What a cute little twink.

by Anonymousreply 51April 28, 2024 5:40 PM

I didn't like it at all. It wasn't very gay. Missed opportunity to not make Charles gay imo. This show would have been much more interesting if Charles and were both gay.

by Anonymousreply 52April 29, 2024 5:59 PM

If Charles and were both gay*

by Anonymousreply 53April 29, 2024 6:06 PM

E**** is censored? Lol. Why?

by Anonymousreply 54April 29, 2024 6:06 PM

I loved it. I had no idea what it was, going in, but I found it disarming. Wonderful cast, get chemistry, and I was glad Charles was not gay or at least not yet, since it leaves the door open for possibilities in future seasons.

by Anonymousreply 55April 29, 2024 6:20 PM

Is that Lukas Gage as the Cat King?

by Anonymousreply 56April 29, 2024 7:07 PM

Yes, Gage is the Cat King.

[quote]E**** is censored? Lol. Why?

Shares the name with long-standing DL troll so the name is verboten around these parts.

by Anonymousreply 57April 29, 2024 8:31 PM

Obviously Charles should be gay.

E.d.w.i.n. could go either way, but I'd rather he be straight.

by Anonymousreply 58April 30, 2024 2:35 AM

R56 Yes! The cat king was one of the best things about this show. He wasn't pure evil, but he wasn't entirely good either. I've seen some people say they hated the character, he was "creepy" with the way he came onto E****. I'm like... are we watching the same show? The cat king obviously knew E**** was gay. He knew E**** was secretly into it. There was nothing creepy about it imo. E**** kissing the cat king on the cheek in one of the last episodes clearly showed he wasn't sexually abused, like the fraus think.

by Anonymousreply 59April 30, 2024 5:33 AM

[quotet]ere was nothing creepy about it imo

I don't find it creepy, either. It was seductive. But even the male showrunner says Cat King is a predator and he was coercing E**** and he's an antagonist.

I see it differently because while his first interaction was a hinted at sexual proposition in exchange for E****'s freedom, clearly E. is just as intrigued by Cat King: it's in the way he reacts to his nearness, it's how he wouldn't tell Charles what Cat King told him and how kisses Cat King - albeit on the cheek.

by Anonymousreply 60April 30, 2024 6:01 AM

I read that, in the comics, Charles is bi, so there's still hope for them getting together. I think they set up the 'best friends to lovers' trope pretty well too.

by Anonymousreply 61April 30, 2024 6:05 AM

I finished it, but I didn’t love it. It’s the same old crappy adaptation that Netflix churns out by the dozen. The two actors that played the ghost detectives were great, however.

A shame, because The Sandman was one the greatest works of literature in the past few decades and those two ghost boy characters I remember fondly.

by Anonymousreply 62April 30, 2024 6:27 AM

R62 Same. Such a tormented start.

by Anonymousreply 63April 30, 2024 7:01 AM

Couple more thoughts...

I could always clock a fabulous diva from a mile away, check my reply at r5 for proof of that.

There was some pushback from fat activists when The Sandman show came out because Despair was portrayed by a fat whore. Glad they stuck to their guns. Could have used some CG shimmer or something so she wouldn't look so human, though.

The hell scene with that boy who was tearing out the pages hit strangely close to home for me. I also was falling for those Ed-type artsy femmy homos at college and uni, but they always looked down on me because I dressed like a lumberjack and was too poor to look as stylish as they did. I didn't bully them like the guy on the show, though. Dare I say I was triggered by that scene?

People on Reddit are saying that Lockwood & Co. show was even better than this one, which I doubt, but I'll check it out regardless.

by Anonymousreply 64April 30, 2024 5:02 PM

I’m not liking the character of Niko. She’s just kind of there and takes time away from the other characters.

by Anonymousreply 65April 30, 2024 7:13 PM

The stalker drama with the butcher lady was so timely, what with the current Baby Reindeer craze. I honestly didn't see it coming, but glad it was handled the way it was. As someone who has been stalked and has stalked others, it's high time we talk more openly about this subject matter.

Caitlin Reilly's YouTube impressions are so good, I wish her dandelion sprite put-downs were wittier. Have been familiar with Max Jenkins since Special and later Dead To Me, I quite like him as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 30, 2024 7:40 PM

R64, Lockwood & Co. was great, I loved it, and I was so pissed off Netflix canceled it after just one season.

by Anonymousreply 67April 30, 2024 10:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!