Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is NextDoor Full of Unhinged People Where You Live?

I moved to an affluent suburb that is right outside a major metropolitan area in 2021. I joined NextDoor, mainly looking for recommendations for local services, like handymen and whatnot. At the time, about 90% of the posts were some variation of, "OMG, we are so lucky to live here!" It is a place of great natural beauty, coastal features, a mountain, hiking trails, you name it.

In the last year the discourse has devolved into people going off on each other. There are numerous complaints about entitled teens on e-bikes terrorizing seniors, the same teens stealing from the local Safeway and ruining the trails. Then there are endless threads about irresponsible dog walkers losing control of their dogs who then go on to attack small dogs.

I never fucking post on NextDoor because these people all seem insane to me. What is ND like where you live?

by Anonymousreply 157April 16, 2024 12:30 AM

Yes. It’s the thinly veiled racism or overt racism, neighborhood busy bodies who basically stalk people by posting pictures of people just ringing their doorbells, and unhinged people who are home all day because they’re mentally and/or physically disabled.

And don’t forget the Trump worship.

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2023 7:02 AM

I uninstalled the app because it had disintegrated into being nothing but people threatening one another, grifters and conspiracy theorists.

I had no idea there were so many crazy people in the vicinity but, holy fuck.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2023 7:10 AM

Yes, it has become another crazed app where people with too much time on their hands feel they need to monitor the f’ing neighborhood.

Tonight someone posted that there was a fruit stand on the corner. The man needed to know if they were really selling fruit or possibly “drugs” in disguise. What has our world turned in to?

So many more ridiculous stories I could share but you get it.

I’m thinking this is insane.

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2023 7:32 AM

Weird (or my neighbors aren’t) as here it’s in no particular order topics like missing cats, missing birds, the potential for the missing cats to be eating the missing birds, catalytic converter thefts, gyms and yoga, housecleaning services offered, house painting services offered, “bicyclists are assholes,” “drivers are assholes,” and people, newcomers one supposes, looking for referrals for everything from nail salons to affinity groups to Orthopedic surgeons. We get the ring photos of people stealing bicycles, too, and occasionally some off the wall thoughts from a WooWoo therapist who signs her own name and prompts acidic responses from former clients/patients. Far less infighting than here on DL which is why I only skim NextDoor: it offers nothing much of importance.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2023 7:40 AM

My local Nextdoor is filled with old post-Facebook boomers. Donald Trump is the common thread and pitbulls are the other. Nextdoor is basically localized Craigslist where I am where it can go from "old man yells at clouds" to people bitching about our electric company sucking the big one. Also the overpricing of utility bills.

It's kind of like the flipside version of DL.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2023 8:00 AM

Gurl I live in metropolitan Baltimore. You are 100% right the majority of the posters on Next door tend to be seniors and or stay at home house fraus. Many posts regarding "did anybody hear that gunshot at 122 a.m. Tuesday". Or. " My ring doorbell caught a suspicious blue Hyundai driving up and down the street three times Saturday night at 7:03 p.m.".

Keep in mind the neighborhoods they're referring to are far removed from Urban Baltimore where all the real crime is happening.

They do post on stuff we do need to know about such as car break-ins happening on a certain Street, and burglaries that have happened. There are a lot of what I refer to as"go fund me" posts requesting donations.

I I turned my notifications off for the app was tired of getting pings for inconsequential stuff throughout the day.

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2023 12:45 PM

Yeah crazy but not as crazy as the actual local news. The real is crazier than the imagined.

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2023 1:28 PM

It's racism and fantasyland for retirees.

"2062 - I called the police while you were at work. I saw A BLACK ringing your doorbell. He was wearing purple and carrying a white package, so I just KNOW he was casing the joint. I wondered if maybe it was another of your daughter's boyfriends (I know she loves the cocoa!), but I haven't seen her with this one before, so I called it in. You're welcome!"

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2023 1:46 PM

I drive for various delivery services, I wonder how many times I've been put up on there as a potential criminal menace

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2023 2:09 PM

For a while I would browser the notifications because the hysteria and ludicrous requests were funny - but then it really got alarmingly depressing - so much weird racism, MAGAT shit, and just very unstable commentary to the point it was not at all funny anymore.

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2023 2:11 PM

Oy vey! Or should I say “MARY!” just reading some examples of ND. Which is funny because I just returned from visiting my father who was complaining all of his racist bullshit, which he calls humor, gets censored.

“There’s no such thing as free speech anymore!” he will shout. And then also lament that what DOES stay posted, his trolling of dumb dog owners, generates negative backlash.

I hope he doesn’t figure out these sly ways y’all are talking about how racist bullshit gets onto ND.

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2023 2:11 PM

Lots and lots and lots of trolls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2023 2:14 PM

No more so than DL

Sometimes it's a lot tamer on NextDoor than it is here.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2023 2:20 PM

Yeah things are just great everywhere, better than ever in fact. Only gonna get better, too.

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2023 2:22 PM

OMG! I just saw a poc wearing a hoodie! Oh, and does anyone want my 15 year old dog? Too much trouble to take care of.

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2023 2:26 PM

I live near Palm Springs and it's a lot of fucking OLD people. Seems to be the same handful of posts all the time. Kinda like the DL 😁

(1) My package got stolen

(2) The check I put in my mailbox got stolen and cashed for another amount

(3) Why is the meal at my favorite restaurant not $5.99 like it was in the 60s?

(4) Various confusion/complaints about spam email, calls or texts

(5) I opened the door, my cat/dog ran out and now they're missing! A post that usually happens in conjunction with......

(6) I saw a coyote/bobcat in our neighborhood!

And my favorite.....

(7) Someone rang our doorbell last night at 1 am! (This is often some dude going to a late night booty call and getting the wrong address. One time the "prowler" was wearing assless chaps and a leather cap.)

There are some deplorable types but I just mute/block them. There's also a LOT of these old posters who either have terrible knowledge of grammar OR are trying to post on their phones and have no idea how, so their posts are usually an unreadable mess.

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2023 2:33 PM

I've been on NextDoor for about a decade. I joined because the neighbors where I lived then wanted a community-wide platform to discuss neighborhood issues; it lasted about a week before it descended into racism and xenophobia. I had to limit the alerted posts to just my block, but I have to admit the trailer park "community" on the other side of town was an entertaining hate-read.

Then I moved (about 4 years ago). I changed my registration to my new neighborhood which put me closer to several senior communities, and hoo boy, are they nuts. The primary complaint is electric bills (I live in an area in which air conditioning is required for about 6 months a year), followed closely by complaints about petty theft that goes unpunished. They prattle on for hundreds of words and attach photos of people just walking or driving down the street, regaling us with stories about how "in my day, we'd string 'em up in the nearest tree!" I'll bet you can guess the ethnicity of the alleged perps. On NextDoor, you don't have to guess; the racism has been plain to see especially since Trump lost 2020.

And of course the racists just bitch endlessly about how they're persecuted and have had their First Amendment rights stripped away by NextDoor, and when you explain to them that ND is a private company with their own policies, and it's not even ND but the community "leads" that are removing their racist rants and eventually blocking them, it just inflames them further. They can't seem to understand that their friends and neighbors don't want to hear them screeching about the darkies and how it's all the governor's fault because we "don't punish crime anymore!" excepting when [italic]they[/italic] do something illegal, then the complaint is that the governor has it out for them and sends his goons out to ticket them for speeding or littering or whatever other nonsense they've made up to feel persecuted.

I think the people who founded NextDoor did it as a play to get acquired by facebook. It's hard to decide which is worse (although NextDoor didn't aid and abet Trump and the MAGAts/Putin and the Russians in trying to destroy democracy, so there is that).

by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2023 2:34 PM

Our neighborhood ND is PC and no MAGATs. They used to post amusing Ring camera footage of young drunk white women stealing potted hydrangeas but it’s now considered “shaming” and not allowed.

by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2023 2:35 PM

r12 I just DIED. Thank you for posting that! 😂😂

by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2023 2:38 PM

[quote] The primary complaint is electric bills (I live in an area in which air conditioning is required for about 6 months a year)

We have a lot of this too, but to be fair, I don't blame the residents. SCE (our provider) sucks rank donkey balls, and they're not very helpful about information. We have solar but they have so many byzantine rules, regulations and rate charts that you'd need a degree in Bullshitology to understand them all.

(These old farts complain about a lot of dumb shit but I give them slack on this piece.)

by Anonymousreply 20September 18, 2023 2:38 PM

The Best Of Nextdoor is hilarious

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2023 2:38 PM

The GoFundMe grifters have started to drown out the bored retirees in my neighborhood. There are also many "enterprising young entrepreneurs" who either self-promote or have their girlfriends do it for them. They present themselves as contractors, handymen or landscapers, but they're mostly deadbeats or fraudsters.

by Anonymousreply 22September 18, 2023 2:49 PM

The NextDoor I belong to doesn't allow political discussion unless you start your own private subgroup so I rarely see political posts, but some posters do come close to the line. But when they do, there is always pushback from other posters so nothing breaks out into the open and then fizzles out.

What people mainly fight about is DOG POOP. People walking their dogs and not picking up their poop. People acting like they should have the right let their dogs poop wherever they want. Other people disagreeing (which you'd think would be the sane position) and getting jumped on.

It is just bizarre.

NextDoor should just change its name to DogPoop.

by Anonymousreply 23September 18, 2023 2:50 PM

I only lasted one day on ND. Deleted the app, never looked back. My neighborhood association has an excellent private FB group that is helpful, supportive, and community-focused. The only reason I'm on FB these days is for various private groups spanning a variety of specific interests that keep out the crazy. The Pre-Code Hollywood: Sin on Celluoid group is one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2023 3:14 PM

OP, it's notorious for being full of racist Karens and Chads.

by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2023 3:14 PM

Celluloid. Before my coffee spelling typo.

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2023 3:15 PM

We currently have a thread where a Vietnam vet is very upset because he was asked to take his Vietnam ballcap off before being let inside of a private club.

It's always that sort of thing......sure, I see why he should do what he wants, but it's never just that, it's blown up to be THE WORST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED IN THE HISTORY OF ALL HUMANITY. That's all of the thread's subtexts....."something is different than it was 20/30/40/50/60 years ago and it's ABSOLUTELY THE WORST THING E V E R!!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2023 3:17 PM

Yeah, my local Next Door is mostly insane right wingers shitposting about politics or all the non-white people in the area or spreading baseless conspiracy theories.

It's all incoherent drivel since most of them seem really old and unable to type correctly or come up with a fully formed thought.

I lasted five minutes before I left. I used a throwaway email address for membership and whenever I look at that email, I see some of the messages posted on Next Door and cringe.

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2023 3:20 PM

A lot of wackos on Nextdoor. I posted about finding an (obviously) stray dog nearly get hit by a car at at traffic intersection. I took the dog home and posted 'found dog' info on multiple social websites. I took the dog to our local animal shelter the next day. My logic? At least the dog was no longer in danger of being hit by a car and would be safe and secure until owner could be located or adopted out. I was roasted by 2 demented lunatics for "sentencing the dog to death" . Some people are too fucking stupid to live and should die in grease fires.

by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2023 3:33 PM

R29 The animal shelter loons are definitely crazy. Ignore them.

by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2023 5:34 PM

"Citizen" is another app to avoid if you're trying your best to respect your neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2023 7:24 PM

I like Patch better.

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2023 7:49 PM

I like Patch better.

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2023 7:49 PM

I used to be on it, but there were too many people bashing liberals or just posting weird shit...like bad poetry they wrote. I once saw a post where a woman was asking if there were any people in my area "willing to cook her son a home cooked meal because he was here in college and she knew it would cheer him up." So fucking embarrassing to even read. If you haven't taught your kids how to cook, you've failed as a parent. I was equally repulsed by how many idiots said they "Understood" and would be willing to do it.

by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2023 10:32 PM

The old people on ND are notoriously cheap.

One went on for six posts about how angry she was that she had to pay more than 10 dollars for chicken wings.

by Anonymousreply 35September 19, 2023 12:28 AM

Where I live next-door is a continuous thread of "ain't it awful"

by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2023 12:31 AM

Yes, R23. So many posts about dog owners who walk their dogs and don't pick up their giant shits. Or posts about dog owners putting bagged dog shit in someone else's garbage cans instead of disposing of it in their own. I came to the conclusion there were about two decent dog owners in my neighborhood who cleaned up after their giant shit takers and the rest of them were just leaving it at varying, other places and stages for others to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2023 1:04 AM

The anger for dog owners who don't pick up is one thing but the ones who complain that someone puts it in their trash can are just loony cunts.

They all want to have dog poo receptacles every 10 fucking feet. But they'd complain about that too

by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2023 1:09 AM

If I had a dog, I would make sure I took it's (bagged) shits back to my own garbage can and not use others private property as my own, to be honest. But, I don't like touching other people's stuff in general.

by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2023 1:27 AM

I was kicked off for not using my full name. Rude.

by Anonymousreply 40September 19, 2023 1:37 AM

R38 = throws giant dog poops in neighbors' trash cans.

by Anonymousreply 41September 19, 2023 2:08 AM

R41 I don't have a dog. But I'd rather someone throw a bag into a trash can than leave it on the ground or the road. Which is what dumb cunts often do around here.

by Anonymousreply 42September 19, 2023 2:41 AM

My NextDoor:

"Someone broke a window at Target"

SEE WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU ELECT DEMOCRAPS! THANKS, DEMOCRAPS!

VOTE FOR JOE BIDEN AND SEE WHAT IT GETS YOU!!!! SAME WITH GAVIN NEWSOM!!!!!

UNTIL WE JAIL EVERY SINGLE CRIMINAL THIS CITY WILL NEVER BE SAFE!!!!!

Etc.

by Anonymousreply 43September 19, 2023 3:12 AM

R43 Literally my Nextdoor. Somebody just posted a pic of two teens on bikes wearing pajama pants and crocs tearing up newly laid grass in a park that has clearly delineated trails bicyclists can ride on. Right wing nut job posts “Elections have consequences.” Local mom posts, “when did we vote on wearing crocs and pjs?”

by Anonymousreply 44September 19, 2023 5:19 AM

I'd rather have a lobotomy than engage on 'NextDoor.'

by Anonymousreply 45September 19, 2023 5:23 AM

There’s a lot of complaining about teens and fuzzy footage of them captioned “is this your teen?!” Last week someone posted an old lady stealing some kind of flowering vine using her cane to scrape it off a porch.

by Anonymousreply 46September 19, 2023 9:47 AM

I moved to a new city and thought it would be useful. I got rid of a mountain of moving boxes and a couple odd things, and found a plumber who was knowledgeable with historic houses. It wasn't long, though before it became annoying, with dozens of messages every few hours, many of them people asking for things...with considerable specificity: a ride to a very local concert hours away, someone to build a brick wall in return for nothing, someone to clean rain gutters with their own 60' ladder for free. Did someone not have an extra unused queen sized Tempurpedic mattress they wanted rid of, and we're willing to deliver?

I thought I had closed out my account but when I moved again the posts started again for my new geo location. Welcome to the neighborhood! I was sure finally I was fully purged of ND but when I moved to another country, the fucking thing started up with pleas to renew my active status.

It's the jilted lover that will never take no for an answer, that never acknowledges that it really is over.

by Anonymousreply 47September 19, 2023 12:00 PM

An app where people post and complain day in, day out just to vent? Where did I see that already? Oh.

by Anonymousreply 48September 19, 2023 12:35 PM

Yes! We had a recent one where a woman seriously asked if there was a city ordinance against men doing yard work without a shirt on, because she found it offensive. Luckily we don’t get to many right wing commentators around here, and they get thumped if they try to pull that crap. There is the low key racist “I saw a black man in our cul de sac who may have been up to no good” stuff. And a few religious loons who post prayers in replies to everything. However , it’s good to know about people who’ve had their car stolen out of their driveway, coyote sightings, and posts about what new developments are being built.

by Anonymousreply 49September 19, 2023 1:25 PM

I'm fucked with some ppl who have pulled that shit, R49.

"A black man? Right out in the open?" A few of us on our ND make the racists and old boomers say what they really want to say, and then humiliate their stupidity and racist bullshit.

Your post reminds me of another common thing in my area - car break-ins or petty burglaries. All because people don't lock their doors. Who in 20fucking23 isn't locking their fucking car door?

by Anonymousreply 50September 19, 2023 1:46 PM

[quote] I moved to an affluent suburb that is right outside a major metropolitan area...

[quote] It is a place of great natural beauty, coastal features, a mountain, hiking trails, you name it.

As a San Franciscan, this description sounds like it could be only one place: Marin County. Mount Tamalpais, Muir Woods, Sausalito, Stinson Beach, Point Reyes, far too many hiking trails to name, e-bikes, Safeway as the main grocery chain in the region...Marin checks all the boxes. I'm placing my bet that's where OP lives and is referring to here.

According to this recent study, Marin is the fourth wealthiest county in the US, ranked just behind San Francisco and the Silicon Valley counties of San Mateo and Santa Clara. Incidentally, with Alameda County at # 9, the Bay Area makes up 50% of this top 10 list.

Given the general erosion of civil discourse pretty much everywhere, it wouldn't surprise me that Marin residents on Nextdoor are behaving this way. I can almost picture the various complaints about other people and their dogs, that's for sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 19, 2023 2:51 PM

It's gotta be exhausting seeing some of this shit as a black person

by Anonymousreply 52September 19, 2023 2:58 PM

Oh I wouldn't worry about it, R52. I am sure Blacks feel great because all the racists put everybody at ease by prefacing their post with "I don't want to sound racist but..."

by Anonymousreply 53September 19, 2023 3:50 PM

Every fucking time you go on Next Door someone is bitching about how long it took the cops to respond, or video's of someone wandering around a back yard at 3 AM, or some otherbullshit designed to make people afraid of their own shadow. I'm a member, but I just scan it to find out about restaurants, or business referrals. I found a good contractor for my home renovations on Next Door.

by Anonymousreply 54September 19, 2023 3:55 PM

I think the major problem with Nextdoor is not primarily hosting racists. It is a big problem, but not the major problem imo. The major problem is that people use it as a dumping ground for their negativity in general. They post negative shit to "alert the neighborhood" without offering any way out of the negativity. You can post an alert. But if you really want to help the neighborhood you should also offer help to avoid or remediate the problem. People usually don't get there. They stop short and just point out the stuff that bothers them and don't do anything about it. And Nextdoor fosters that behavior.

by Anonymousreply 55September 19, 2023 3:56 PM

[quote] our electric company sucking the big one

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 56September 19, 2023 4:00 PM

Every time someone posts a complaint about any petty thing, all the NDers pile on to say “call the police!”. The police must get a million calls a day from clowns with dented mailboxes and missing marigolds.

by Anonymousreply 57September 19, 2023 4:02 PM

Lots of scammers go on ND to tell some sob story to get money. Lot of that going on.

by Anonymousreply 58September 19, 2023 4:04 PM

The ones in Melbourne Florida are nuts and like here they will fight over just about everything..oh and they are paranoid over everything now. Their Ring cameras have made them insane

by Anonymousreply 59September 19, 2023 4:08 PM

People with full on delusions about perceived slights usually in the form of assumed or even full on fabricated racist attacks against them (even though brown people and Muslims are the vast majority where I live).

It certainly provides a good warning to the rest of us to not engage with neighbours in any way, shape or form, lest you be accused of same. Consequently, nobody talks to anyone unless it's behind the cloak of anonymity.

We live in a mentally and spirituality sick society. Next door is a mirror to that sickness.

by Anonymousreply 60September 19, 2023 5:54 PM

[quote]Is NextDoor Full of Unhinged People Where You Live?

I don't know because I was attacked my first day of posting and never went back.

R60 inadvertently but forcefully gives a taste of it, although not in the way she seems to imagine.

by Anonymousreply 61September 19, 2023 5:57 PM

I was on ND for a while a couple of years ago, but it was just mostly stupid crap that I had no interest in, so I just ignored it. Now, about every 10-14 days, I get an email saying that there are 20+ new posts, so (out of curiosity) I get the one-time code and check it out. Good lord. Out here in the NW Philly suburbs, it's mostly lost animals, unwelcome solicitors, and the ever present bad roads, terrible traffic, and no parking. Well, no parking right in front of the business, so they whine about having to walk a few feet. Even if there was a post that I *might* be interested in, I am not willing to sort through all the crap to find it.

by Anonymousreply 62September 19, 2023 6:10 PM

It was originally useful. Some people keep close track of road work and crime. Someone could ask why were there a bunch of police cars at someplace at lunch and get an explanation. Discussions about city services or traffic were worth reading. Now it's mostly reports of petty crime. I've moved to a new neighborhood but still check in to read the craziness.

by Anonymousreply 63September 19, 2023 6:35 PM

My all-time favorite Nextdoor reply came earlier this year in a thread started by someone complaining about loud music playing outside of their apartment on the UWS of Manhattan. A "local" man sets up speakers during the day and on weekends (possibly believing he is doing the neighborhood a favor by providing free entertainment) and proceeds to blast Latin/Spanish music at a volume louder than one might experience in the front row of a concert at Madison Square Garden. I knew exactly what the person complaining was talking about because I have witnessed the person in question doing it, and live a few blocks north of it. The person complaining about it described the loud music as shaking their apartment walls and inhibiting remote work which, having seen the actual source of the problem with my own eyes, I have no doubts about.

Anyway, as usual with people in NYC who complain of noise, you get the usual chorus of assholes on Nextdoor chiming in with replies like (I'm paraphrasing):

"This is how the city has always been! Lively streets and weekends!"

"Move to the country if you don't like city noise!"

"It's culture!"

...and that type of thing. But one reply to this post, which I will quote verbatim, was the following.

"Have you tried enjoying it?"

The rage I experienced reading that response/question was immeasurable. Had I been the OP, I would have been very tempted to reply back with:

"No, CUNT, I haven't, nor will I ever."

The idea that someone might want to enjoy some peace in their private living space, or work, during the daytime, without salsa music rattling their teeth due to the volume it is being played at, non-stop, outside of their building, should be an easy concept to grasp. Granted, nobody in NYC is guaranteed silence in their apartment at any time, and has to accept that there will always be some level of street noise. But then you have the parade of Karens shaming the OP as if the complaint is somehow ludicrous, despite the circumstances described in detail.

The "have you tried enjoying it?" commenter should, frankly, be beaten publicly for such stupidity. I guarantee this person is one of the people that readily complains about dog shit on the sidewalk and thinks nothing of doing so, but meanwhile deputizes him/herself to admonish others at the drop of a hat.

"Have you tried enjoying it?"

Hammer. Smashed. Face. CUNT!

This is Nextdoor.

by Anonymousreply 64September 19, 2023 9:46 PM

[quote] It was originally useful.

It can still be occasionally useful. But only occasionally.

by Anonymousreply 65September 19, 2023 10:01 PM

I'm on ND to look for hanymen, plumbers and other services and have had some success in that area. The saddwst posts are of missing cats. There are a few right wing grumps, but not many. There is reporting of crime in a nearby city along with problems caused by the homeless population. I'm in Washington state near Seattle which has the 3rd largest homeless population in the US. There is some bitching, but also a lot of discussion on what steps are needed to clear homeless encampments and where these people can go for shelter, A few fires have started in encampments that burned nearby woods. Lately I've seen an increase in gofundee requests.

by Anonymousreply 66September 19, 2023 10:09 PM

R51 Bingo.

by Anonymousreply 67September 19, 2023 11:42 PM

R64, I believe all these people complaining about MAGAs, etc, but in my white, wealthy Brooklyn neighborhood it's the opposite, more as you describe.

Any complaint at all about quality of life, no matter how insane the situation, is greeted with fury, as you said. I've been told to "move back to Pennsyltucky" (I was born and raised in Manhattan), been told X was "here first" (no they were not, I've been in this same spot for over 30 years), etc.

Any photo of someone stealing something or doing anything wrong is greeted with laments and tsk-tsking, unless, of course, it's a black person, and then George Floyd and Emmett Till are invoked and the poster is accused of trying to get black people killed.

Worst of all are innocent posts about cars. "Does anyone know a reliable mechanic?" "Did they change the alternate-side parking rules on X street?" etc. They immediately invoke a tsunami of rageful posts about how no one should have a car, ever. There are always a few who anemically interject something like, "I have to take my disabled mother to appointments 3x a week" or "I work on Staten Island" or something, but no excuse holds any water. Own a car = worse than Hitler, and that's that.

So yes, Nextdoor is full of unhinged people. I can't call them "progressive"; they are simply insane, and their political bent is irrelevant.

I have made it marginally useful again by very liberally blocking posters and threads. And I know not to look at threads about quality-of-life issues or cars or any of the many topics that trigger the spittle-flecked homebound loons.

by Anonymousreply 68September 20, 2023 12:13 AM

Not directly next door but down the hall. I live in an apartment and there are some psychos. There’s this weird old hag who’s always sitting on her balcony screaming at people about things like where they park or if they’re doing something she doesn’t approve of. She’s always hanging out in the lobby at ungodly hours.

by Anonymousreply 69September 20, 2023 12:17 AM

I signed up, like many above posters, when I moved to Reno 4 years ago, as a neighborhood guide for plumbers, etc. It's basically a right wing cesspool of bitchery. Some is entertaining, but a lot of the complaints here are "Californians moving here are ruining everything" or "We don't want your California values here". Basically its an extension of the culture war garbage on Fox, Newsmax, etc. One right wing asshole who I had tangled with in the comments section of our local newspaper (which has since disabled comments) moved over to ND and started posting crap like this. I said "I moved here from the Midwest, do I have the right values you'd approve of?" and it kicked off a whole fight.

More traffic and population in Reno? Blame California. More people of color/LGBTQ people in Reno? Blame California. Maybe you right wing dipshits should thank all of these new people moving to Reno and increasing your property values by 40%.

I don't really engage with these fools anymore, they're all nuts and not worth spending the time fighting.

by Anonymousreply 70September 20, 2023 12:39 AM

Today on NextDoor a "neighbor" asked if anyone knew why there was a helicopter flyover yesterday, and was informed that it was spreading the next round of COVID in order for the Democrats to win the election.

I was shocked at how many people agreed.

by Anonymousreply 71September 20, 2023 1:29 AM

It's a Baby Boomer and Gen X app

by Anonymousreply 72September 20, 2023 1:33 AM

Have your ND freaks started bitching about Biden controlling the weather yet as the puppeteer of the global "climate change hoax"? That's really taking off on my local ND. My Qanonner uncle posts a lot in those discussions.

Then, there are the regular Red Cross blood drives. Those are fun for local comments. Did you know that the government is taking donated blood and mutating it, then injecting it into patients in the hospital for tracking purposes and to give unsuspecting patients the vaxx against theur will? WELL NOW YOU DO! So, true patriots and those who #dotheirownresearch bleed out when in need of transfusions.

Additionally: free or low cost rabies clinics for dogs and cats: a big NO as per the anti-vaxx crowd. Because vaccines for their pets (their "doggos" especially!) can cause their pooch to become autistic. Lots of arguments between people about vaccination of pets and if dogs can be autistic. Really riveting stuff.

by Anonymousreply 73September 20, 2023 1:44 AM

[quote]was informed that it was spreading the next round of COVID in order for the Democrats to win the election.

People like this are a boil on the ass of society.

by Anonymousreply 74September 20, 2023 1:45 AM

My friend the other night said that the reason there is a new strain of Covid is because Pfizers stock fell.

On another note, I saw a post on ND once where a man was saying that there was a homeless man on the off ramp of the local freeway. He said the man asked him for money and he gave him a few bucks and then the guy got aggressive demanding more. One of the comments was, "You should have given him more. People are suffering!" Had to be someone in their early twenties.

by Anonymousreply 75September 20, 2023 2:40 AM

Filled with loud, whiny fraus constantly posting about lost/found dogs and cats, or complaining if there are police sirens going off or helicopters flying overhead. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 76September 20, 2023 2:46 AM

Millennials don't do NextDoor.

by Anonymousreply 77September 20, 2023 7:19 AM

R77 I mean they totally do. Not sure what you mean by this.

by Anonymousreply 78September 20, 2023 7:29 AM

They do, R77. They're the ones talking endlessly about their "doggos" on my ND.

"I'm against getting my doggos vaccinated because the research I've seen leads me to believe that it causes doggie autism."

"Hello All! We're looking for local farm to table eateries that also welcome our two doggos. Gluten free options would be a bonus. Suggestions?"

"Upset doggo dad, here. Our favorite doggie day care has raised its rates to an extravagant degree! Where do other doggo parents take theirs for overnights/weekends when you just need a break from 'the kids', want to know they're safe and cared for, but not pay an arm and leg?"

by Anonymousreply 79September 20, 2023 10:45 AM

I live on Maui, and fireworks (usually and thankfully) are set off over the ocean.

But I appreciate that ND posts usually mention upcoming fireworks displays so my friends with dogs can medicate them or make whatever arrangements they need to minimize the impact on their furry friends.

by Anonymousreply 80September 20, 2023 11:30 AM

I first heard of NextDoor about 10 years ago and vowed to never have anything to do with it. This thread is highly entertaining, though. There is nothing worse than the neighborhood stool pigeon who makes shit up about people while watching them all day then goes around telling anyone who will listen. This was my late father in law. The poster above who mentioned the fruit stand being a cover for a drug operation is exactly something he would have said.

by Anonymousreply 81September 20, 2023 12:39 PM

The last time I opened ND some woman was "shocked and appalled" after placing an order for pick up at a local restaurant that included a side of ranch.. upon returning home she was "horrified" to learn that she was charged $2 for the side of ranch.. she then proclaimed that no one should EVER frequent this restaurant as they are "rip-off artists.

Multiple commenters suggested she should dispute the charge with her credit card company. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 82September 20, 2023 1:38 PM

I just checked in to my ND and was reminded of another favorite post.....

The post where some user will say "PLEASE REMOVE ME FROM NEXTDOOR"

These dumb old cunts are barely literate and not computer savvy at all, and don't understand how to delete their account. I always respond "find a teenager or college student, they'll help you." They never like that.

by Anonymousreply 83September 20, 2023 2:29 PM

Today's post:

"The 99 cent store is charging more than 99 cents. THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGEL AND BIDEN MUST BE BEHIND THIS!!!1111!!!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 84September 20, 2023 2:48 PM

If Nextdoor were a person, it would be Gladys Kravitz from Bewitched. Apart from the rare times it can actually be useful, its primary purpose seems to be nosy people with small lives, complaining about mundane non-issues to an echo chamber audience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 20, 2023 3:15 PM

We have "Neighborhood FB Group" in my town and it's the same. The moderators are rightwing douchebags with axes to grind. And the very worst comedians trying to make jokes for likes. Most recently about a bunch of police/ambulance/car wreck activity when it was clear it was a fatality situation. They finally shut it down, but just the stupidest shit and people who have grudges against businesses for the most innocuous things. Like complaining 8 times a year for 10 years about the time a restaurant forgot spring rolls or a groomer cut a toenail too short or they had to close due a hot water heater explosion and didn't put it on their google listing. It's insanity. Who holds grudges like that? 40% of the nutcases in my town

by Anonymousreply 86September 20, 2023 3:46 PM

I have used local entrepreneurs from time to time with mixed results.I think it's horrible when people on ND condemn a contractor or small local business on petty bullshit. My policy with local business people/contractors is that if they make an honest effort they will get at least a 3 from me. If I have a problem with them, I will deal directly with them and talk it out. I will never go after them in public. Most of them are just trying to make a living. Now on an individual basis, if a friend calls me and asks me if I know of a good contractor, I will tell them, I used someone who didn't work out and I won't be using them again. I was having a home renovation done by a contractor I found on ND. I didn't take the recommendation at face value, I did my research to develop more information. Once I was satisfied, I hired them and in general I think they did a fantastic job. They messed up a couple of times, and when I pointed it out the problem was immediately corrected. I gave them an excellent rating which they deserved, and the business owner was surprised. They thought I would publicly criticize them. on ND! I told them everyone messes up, but they were very efficient in correcting the mistake and that is all I can ask.

by Anonymousreply 87September 20, 2023 3:56 PM

Does anyone watch neighborhood wars on a&e?

by Anonymousreply 88September 20, 2023 4:20 PM

[quote]If Nextdoor were a person, it would be Gladys Kravitz from Bewitched.

Check out The Best Of NextDoor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 20, 2023 6:39 PM

cuckoo

by Anonymousreply 90September 20, 2023 7:38 PM

Is Datalounge AI powered? After commenting about ND upthread, I received an email today from ND saying they were no longer sending me notifications because it went to my spam box. The timing was pretty weird.

But it's no great loss. Fewer emails to immediately delete.

by Anonymousreply 91September 20, 2023 11:58 PM

I took one look at it when I moved in and decided I really didn’t want to know.

by Anonymousreply 92September 21, 2023 12:49 AM

R92 Datalounge doesn't seem to be taking advantage of technology from even 2006 let alone AI

by Anonymousreply 93September 21, 2023 3:45 AM

Thank you OP for this thread. I was late to Facebook, I joined during lockdown, and I find that to be mostly full of nutters. This Next Door thing seems to be even worse, I am tempted to give it a go. Are you totally anonymous or do you have to give your full address? Can you have a laugh with it, as in gently take the piss, or are they straight onto that?

by Anonymousreply 94September 21, 2023 7:15 AM

I joined a Facebook group for the affluent mountain/beach town where I work. It’s full of randomness, pettiness, bitching and fighting but at least racism isn’t tolerated and there are no Trumpers/conspiracy theorists. So it sounds marginally better than ND.

by Anonymousreply 95September 21, 2023 12:32 PM

NextDoor doesn't enforce their rules when it comes to national politics (which don't belong in a hyperlocal group anyway). That's a real annoyance when there are Federal elections coming up and the group gets cluttered with posts about the Presidential race or Senate races from faraway states. There are plenty of places to discuss these topics, but I guess the locals just can't help themselves.

Worst of all is the current plague of GoFundMe sob stories. There are at least 3 or 4 going at all times. Anyone who points out obvious evidence of a scam gets effectively shouted down. The scammers know what pulls the heartstrings of the local shut-ins, and they lay it on thick.

by Anonymousreply 96September 21, 2023 5:05 PM

Another favorite:

"I need [some kind of home or garden maintenance work] done!" Which would cost $250 or more to hire someone to do.

"Can't someone come over and do it for me? Any teenagers who can do this for $20? I'm on a fixed income, how dare anyone ask me for more!"

by Anonymousreply 97September 24, 2023 8:59 PM

I never heard of it. But I’m not from an affluent suburb.

by Anonymousreply 98September 24, 2023 9:04 PM

Oh, ffs, R93, you arrogant infant. I wrote my first webpage in raw HTML when I was still using a dialup modem to access the www, all hail Tim Berners Lee. And I’m as well equipped as are my wretched juniors to discern the difference between the functionality of an application and its content.

Do, please, try not to be so ready to condescend to people whose capacities you have no way to judge. You embarrass yourself and you don’t even know it.

by Anonymousreply 99September 25, 2023 11:05 AM

In my current neighborhood, I only log in to check on things like car wrecks, police situations, etc. I don’t need that daily drama.

In my last neighborhood, I joined thinking it would help me become part of the community…yikes, no. So many lost pets..stolen packages…and then I had some guys over to work on the electrical in my garage ( alley access).. and someone posted that while walking their dog, they saw “a suspicious van” and two guys in the alley. I replied “sorry I didn’t put out a warning that there would be black men in the neighborhood today”…I wasn’t very popular after that!

by Anonymousreply 100September 25, 2023 1:26 PM

My ND is like, “There were about 2 dozen police cars on Harbor Drive, I saw police with dogs wearing armor vests plus a SWAT team on a property. Anyone know what happened?”

“Yes, that’s the home of (young female celebrity) and someone was squatting in her guest house. It’s ok, she’s on tour/making a film in Croatia. Nobody was hurt.”

We just had one a week ago where some people saw someone on their laptop via the ring cam on their house. But they didn’t see the person leave. So they went combing the net to find their neighbor’s phone number (they’d never met) and asked if they’d take a peek inside their house. The neighbor did and saw a woman inside with plastic bags full of stuff. The owners called police, jumped into their car and rushed to the house from somewhere ….I forget where…. Police did a whole block-off-the-neighborhood, put cops in the woods with search dogs in case she escaped, SWAT team to break down the door. They arrested the woman.

Squatters are a problem in a summer home area. If they manage to stay in your house for 30 days they’re now considered tenants, whether you allowed them in your house or not. Once labeled tenants, you have to go through the rigamarole of eviction proceedings which can take 6 months or more.

One time, a fireman was found living in the guest house of a famous female celebrity and he had a registered firearm in the house. It was locked up and he wasn’t threatening to use it, but ever since then police have treated squatters/stalkers like an invading army of zombie serial killers. “We don’t want no John Lennon stuff here.”

It’s a lot more exciting than racism.

by Anonymousreply 101September 25, 2023 4:39 PM

You must live in LA or NYC, r101.

by Anonymousreply 102September 25, 2023 4:41 PM

[quote] I saw police with dogs wearing armor vests

Oh dear myself. Dogs wearing armor vests. What a sight.

by Anonymousreply 103September 25, 2023 10:05 PM

R101 sounds more likely from the Hamptons or Martha's Vineyard. Only the hoi polloi summer in the city.

by Anonymousreply 104September 26, 2023 4:13 PM

I walked away from the app the second day when all it turned out to be was, "I Saw a Black man, Once!""

by Anonymousreply 105September 26, 2023 4:27 PM

I grudgingly joined two neighbourhood Facebook groups for handyman and restaurant recommendations and they’re actually not bad. I avoided ND because I don’t want to share my phone number.

by Anonymousreply 106September 26, 2023 4:57 PM

R99 Is there a locker to stuff you in

by Anonymousreply 107September 26, 2023 5:16 PM

Well I live on 40 acres in the forest and the dam Deer eat all my roses.

by Anonymousreply 108September 26, 2023 5:30 PM

There's a Facebook group for my town, and I check in every once in a while. JFC. What a shitshow. This is an affluent town in the NYC Metro area and these people do nothing but bitch and complain and snipe at each other. You would think they'd be pretty damn happy with their lives.

by Anonymousreply 109September 26, 2023 5:30 PM

ugh

by Anonymousreply 110September 26, 2023 7:12 PM

I see a lot of “Don’t use Joe Schmoe landscaping they cut down all my trees!” Or “Had dinner at the new place XYZ last night. It was okay, a little pricey. The service could be better. They’ll have to up their game. I understand they’re new, so we’ll try again in a few weeks.”

Someone last week posted, “It’s supposed to rain next week but I need it to clear up from 3-7 pm Saturday because I’m having a wedding in my backyard.”

And everyone was like, “I’ll see what I can do,” or “Call the weather guy at channel 11, he’s a nice guy. Ask him to clear you for the wedding.”

There’s a rightwing wiseass who thinks he’s funny. He has a few fans whom”spit my coffee all over the screen!!!” But most people ignore him.

Some people get berserk about speeders and post license plate numbers of cars. Had a real to-do a few weeks back between a speeder and someone he sped past at an intersection. Hoo boy, there was name calling. Living around so many entitled rich people is funny

by Anonymousreply 111September 26, 2023 7:49 PM

Oh yeah HUGE number of people complaining in summer about helicopters, private jets and leafblowers. And always somebody doesn’t pick up after their dog. Lots of lost pets (people ar stupid, such an easy solution - don’t open your fucking door and just let the pet out, especially when this is your summer house and your pet has no fucking idea how to get back to the house you’re renting).

Lots of “find forever home” for rescue animals which makes me cringe because it’s in the middle of 400 notices about lost pets.

Wives of cops and firemen give detailed descriptions of car accidents. “Three people injured, one medivac to university hospital, one dead, one with non life threatening injury, released from hospital after observation. Blood tests pending!”

by Anonymousreply 112September 26, 2023 7:59 PM

We have a few women on our NextDoor that post seventeen times a fucking day in all caps about the dogs they've decided to champion at whatever rescue. I appreciate their work but at a certain point it just becomes tiresome.

Also, these dogs are ALWAYS pit bulls or other big dogs that are hard to adopt out, and most of the people in our area are old people who want a dog that looks like a stuffed animal and barks, so it's a losing game.

by Anonymousreply 113September 26, 2023 8:18 PM

[quote]There's a Facebook group for my town, and I check in every once in a while. JFC. What a shitshow. This is an affluent town in the NYC Metro area and these people do nothing but bitch and complain and snipe at each other. You would think they'd be pretty damn happy with their lives.

Same here. It's the same thing every day. Someone will post a picture of a homeless person alongside the freeway and there are dozens of these responses:

THANKS, BIDEN! THANKS, PELOSI! THANKS, NEWSOM! KEEP VOTING FOR "DEMOCRAPS" AND NOTHING WILL CHANGE! I CAN'T WAIT TO MOVE OUT OF THIS SOCIALIST STATE!

The other regular thing is people who repost stuff from local police departments. "Melonville Police Officer Bill Schmill seen here helping a citizen change a tire ... "

GOD BLESS OUR FIRST RESPONDERS! LET THE POLICE KNOW THEY ARE LOVED AND NEEDED!

by Anonymousreply 114September 26, 2023 9:24 PM

Today's post of note:

[quote] I am so tired of businesses ripping off the public without an ounce of hesitation. Bought a half BMT Subway sandwich at (a specific) location and it was SO SMALL, I could not believe they had the nerve to sell it! It was the size of a hotdog bun. I took out a spoon to measure the length against -same size. The width was half the size of a spoon. What ticks me off is all of these commercials (with HIGH paid celebs) that consistently boosts of the primary Subway feature -- the sandwich SIZE! Then they unabashedly sell you bull----!

by Anonymousreply 115September 26, 2023 9:47 PM

I don’t understand the folks who use it like Facebook…photos of how cute their (non-missing) pets are…sharing “funny” memes…life updates. I haven’t been on ND in a few of months, but I went on today and some poor old guy was reporting that his wife has been diagnosed with cancer. Is this what ND is for??

by Anonymousreply 116September 26, 2023 10:01 PM

Losers or liars or addicts trying to get free money:

"Hi my name is Danielle I’m a single mother of 2 boys, I’m crying even asking for help cause Ik people think I’m strong but I’ve been so strong I’ve lost everything, started when my house was shot up 16bullets my son lost his pinky toe, we became homeless cause we wasn’t comfortable to stay in the home. Itry to start a clothing online business, it’s was hard trying to keep up with working paying bills and getting inventory out my own pockets. I reached out for help from different empowerment on more education for business I had to pay for membership to not receive a call or one on one. My funds was getting low on the business side cause my bills first. I got fired from DISCOVER on the last day of black history month still don’t no why!! I’m behind on my rent because the landlord wants to add fee onto my account that I refuse to pay because it’s not right! I went to court judge told me it was dismissed but I still try to explain to the judge about what’s not correct, it’s like OWELL so I try to go to agency for help the online management team don’t reply in time so my case be close, it’s so hard to get in these agencies. It’s to the point management locked me out my account to pay my rent, my rent is 1,350. I lost my car due Covid-19 lost my job Kemba worker was moving my money from my business acct and my personal without my permission. The kemba worker laughed in my ear made a promise my car will be removed from me and he just that and froze my acct. I have no money it hurts me.. so bad my kids asks mom what happen to the money, electric was off gas was off. Please can someone please help me I’m trying to build myself up!! Please I have no car I’m going have to give up my job cause it doesn’t go by bus line, I don’t have Uber etc money. I’m sorry for my life story, I cried getting it out cause ik people going judge me, I’m a single mother reaching out for help! I’m scared if I loose my job my kids won’t have Christmas not a gift not roof not a spoon. Thanks anything will help me get back on track!!"

by Anonymousreply 117November 15, 2023 12:17 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 118November 15, 2023 12:27 AM

Yes, SO much grifting and so obvious -- the same grift from the same people month after month, year after year, a slightly updated sob story every time. I don't know why ND never cancels their account.

And then the angry lashing out from assorted fraus if anyone dares to doubt the grifter's tale of woe.

by Anonymousreply 119November 15, 2023 12:54 AM

Plenty of unhinged people on my Facebook community.

by Anonymousreply 120November 15, 2023 1:02 AM

Here in the Castro in SF, there is a lonely dyke who rails on and on about cats. It's disturbing.

The only good thing about Next Door is that people help find each other's lost pets. It's heartwarming to see this happen, whether the post starts with "I lost my cat" or "I found someone's cat, is this yours?"

But mega dyke can't help herself each time. In her mind, all cats should be free, outdoors, and are never actually lost, even if they escape from their homes. I found a cat once, shared a post with a photo (Is this anyone's cat? I found them here), and she went off on me, telling me that the cat deserves to be left alone to be outside where it's meant to be....totally derailing my post, and likely keeping the attention on herself instead of the cat. Sure, the cat may be a stray, or someone's outdoor cat, and everything might just be fine. But this is a city, so I have to wonder if some cats simply escaped from home and the owner would appreciate someone trying to help.

by Anonymousreply 121November 15, 2023 1:27 AM

Old and isolated seems to be the main population according to this thread. If this is true, it makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 122November 15, 2023 2:07 AM

Thank God I live in the Hamptons. It’s mostly lost dogs, “I have a house for rent October-May.” Complaints about city people, requests for “affordable priced” handymen (no such thing here).

by Anonymousreply 123November 15, 2023 2:58 AM

My NextDoor is 90 percent olds and none of them can't understand why people aren't tripping over themselves to come do some complicated project for them for $20.

by Anonymousreply 124November 15, 2023 3:01 AM

R119 Yes on the grifting. There's a guy on my ND who has been posting a GoFundMe link for two years now, claiming that his car was "just totaled." Another able-bodied guy who looks to be about 30 and lives in SF posts a GFM multiple times a day (for several months now) about how he can't find a job.

by Anonymousreply 125November 15, 2023 3:15 AM

I have a neighbor who posts on Facebook every person who goes missing locally.

Her husband has a used tire shop and their grown children work for him, but she never leaves the house herself. I picture her combing the news all day searching for Amber Alerts, etc. I wonder if she has agoraphobia or something?

by Anonymousreply 126November 15, 2023 4:53 AM

In my centrally located flyoverstan metro, I live on the right side town and it’s frau central on there.

by Anonymousreply 127November 15, 2023 5:23 AM

I'm near a lot of crazy old people, but the bitch who insisted that the New World Order and elder abuse was to blame for her spoiled purchase from Whole Foods was pretty fucking unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 128February 23, 2024 3:48 AM

Mainly neighborhood Glady Kravitz types hysterically posting about a strange black car going down their street and lost pets on mine. There was one batshit crazy woman who posted about hearing a woman screaming outside her house but none of the neighbors heard it and the police didn't believer her. She would post every day and they got weirder and weirder. She was insisting a drone was spying on her through her windows and it escalated to her seeing red lights in her vents, convinced that someone had planted recording devices in her house. She mentioned having small children and I really think a neighbor called for a welfare check because the posts suddenly stopped. The posts were crazy but it was interesting seeing someone spiral into complete batshittery.

by Anonymousreply 129February 23, 2024 4:07 AM

I used to live in an affluent suburb where it was just fox sightings, elegantly photographed birds worthy of The National Geographic, and noise complaints about helicopters. ( As if the helicopters should put mufflers on their blades or something) But since moving into the city, ND is full of poorly written pleas for donations such as the one posted by [117] . You hear every woe of man in the city, and see overwhelming evidence that our school district is very very bad. It’s disturbing to see how much of our citizenry hasn’t come within a mile of mastering the mother tongue, having spent their time procuring hillbilly heroin and going to and getting out of various incarcerations.

by Anonymousreply 130February 23, 2024 3:56 PM

Hello, my name is Diego Sumna and I am looking for any kind of hard work!

Hello, I’m a very responsible 21 year old college student looking for a nanny job this summer! I’m timely, dependable, experienced and can provide reference!!! (It’s obviously posted by her mother)

My husband and I were at XXYZ restaurant last night. The food was wonderful and so were the cocktails. Our waitress Shana was very warm and personable and she served us quickly. The owner Jamison came over and said hello to us. We recommend it to everyone !!!

Beware everyone! My doorbell cam caught this guy trying to open the door of my car last night!!! Keep your cars locked!!! (Posts pic of humanoid mass wearing a hoodie and having white reflector eyes)

People going door to door trying to sell pest services!! Is this happening to everyone else???

by Anonymousreply 131February 23, 2024 6:53 PM

Our power is out. Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 132February 23, 2024 7:50 PM

I QUICKLY exited when it turned out to be a bunch of over-privileged, self-entitlted snot moms organizing afternoon (and morning) wine-guzzling sessions so they could get together talk about the hubs and the crotch fruit. Ugh. It was awful.

by Anonymousreply 133February 23, 2024 8:21 PM

^ Someone also posted that they saw a Mexican guy riding a bicycle through the neighborhood one summer afternoon. The AUDACITY OF HIM! DIOS SANTO!!!!

by Anonymousreply 134February 23, 2024 8:27 PM

If there is anything in life that I do not want, it is to know how people around here think. I bought a place here because it’s what I could afford. I’d sell my soul to go back home.

by Anonymousreply 135February 23, 2024 8:43 PM

Today's frau furor:

[quote]Crazy right !? I come into the bank on (street) to access their ATM & the door is wide open . No one inside . I pushed it to try to close it but felt broken . Called the cops and let them know but yeah very bad idea to leave that door open.

The horror!

[quote]You’re a good man and citizen (it's a woman)

[quote]Creepy!!!

[quote]How frightening! What is happening in our world?

by Anonymousreply 136February 24, 2024 11:18 PM

So sorry to hear about tbe out of control apartment building fire that raged most of last night. I'm crying and praying that all the fur babies got out in time.

by Anonymousreply 137February 25, 2024 1:53 AM

A man with dark hair, a hat, a dark jacket, and jeans exposed himself to my daughter on Saturday Feb 24 around 12:40 PM on 56th Street near 40th Ave. If you live on 56th St, could you please check your Ring cameras for any footage you may have some we can provide it to the police? Thanks in advance!

by Anonymousreply 138February 25, 2024 4:29 AM

Omfg…talk about unhinged neighbors…it’s 28 degrees outside and someone is having a party with loud music. Loud music with fuck, fuckin and mitterfuckin’ as major lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 139February 25, 2024 11:23 PM

"Hello everyone, I am being accused of lying about my gofundme account honestly by one person in particular. I have included them in the messages on my initial post so that they can see the link that I left is well but I wanted to post on here as well because he is stating that I was lying because I just created an account with next door. When fortunately he must have never had to ask for assistance through that particular website, So he doesn't have a clue that they advise you to create an account if you don't have one with all the places that are social. They say this helps get your post out and make it successful. I also wanted to mention that my house caught initial fire at 2314 Homestead but caught my neighbors at 2308 sideing on fire. So, in the midst of me and my 3 kids homelessness and every other issue we have going on, I wanted to take the time out of my day because I do not want people to think that I am trying to scam. I am a woman of God. I do not play those types of games. Nor do I have time to play games when we are living in the end times."

by Anonymousreply 140March 1, 2024 5:58 AM

Fuck, yes! We decided not to communicate much with our neighbors after reading the posts where we live.

by Anonymousreply 141March 1, 2024 6:08 AM

I go to push buttons now. They take the bait so easily

by Anonymousreply 142March 2, 2024 5:12 PM

This is good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143March 2, 2024 5:31 PM

I took this photo of this dog and you can see the dog is looking away from the person with the leash. My intuition tells me the dog does not want to be there and is stolen. How should I proceed?

by Anonymousreply 144March 2, 2024 7:06 PM

"i need a young college student specialising in computer and hookups"

by Anonymousreply 145March 2, 2024 7:11 PM

"Hey guys there is a white gentlemen waking the streets of x with no shoes and a pancho he is not dangerous but going through psychosis and wandering the streets of x if he also has a Bernie if found please don’t let him go he’s a nice guy"

x=a LA neighborhood

by Anonymousreply 146March 2, 2024 7:23 PM

The man pushing his snack cart through neighborhoods is a child predator searching for his next victim to be abducted and trafficked. DO NOT let your children near him!

by Anonymousreply 147March 2, 2024 8:28 PM

The ice cream truck is selling Fentanyl to kids. Report the truck if you see it!

by Anonymousreply 148March 2, 2024 8:29 PM

As everyone knows, there is a crime fad nowadays of teenagers opening people’s cars and stealing stuff. Or trying to open cars to steal stuff. And there’s breaking a car window to see if there’s anything inside the car.

On Next Door and local reddit, this has caused a complete breakdown of western civilization. People are taking this like a personal knife attack.

“How DARE they? I want to kill them. I’m gonna get a shotgun and blow them away. I’m gonna wire the door handles and electrocute them. Why aren’t the police DOING anything about it? When we call police they’re very matter-of-fact and say there’s really nothing they can do.

WHAT?

Why aren’t police having a complete mental breakdown, like I am? This is outrageous! I’m going to have to put barbed wire around my property because liberals think this is ok! This is turning into San Francisco! The police need to STOP THIS IMMEDIATELY!

I have ring camera video! I showed it to police and asked them to go to all the houses on the block and ask to see their door videos in order to get an ID on these suspects and track them down! Wtf is going on in this country?”

Of course when someone says, “Why don’t just leave your car doors unlocked and don’t keep anything important in your car?” they accuse them of treason. “This is AMERICA! I am not going to let the bad guys win! What if they pee or poop in my car? OMG! The thought of someone entering my car - I can’t!”

Well, if you lock your doors they’re going break your window, Einstein.

I lived in NYC during the crack epidemic and nobody who parked on the street locked their car door unless they had an expensive car stereo. Those of us with plain old AM/FM radios were like, “I don’t care if they fucking sleep in it as long as I don’t have to pay for another car window

by Anonymousreply 149March 2, 2024 8:38 PM

I can't believe how truly dumb the people in my area are.....most of them have only the most basic understanding of how to use their computers/phones and are constantly confused by even the most basic tasks.

There's also a constant stream of scam victims because these people are so damn dumb.

by Anonymousreply 150March 2, 2024 9:14 PM

" . . there's a dog running up 'So-and-So' Street. He would not come to me." Jesus Christ on a CRACKER!

by Anonymousreply 151March 3, 2024 6:02 PM

The only time I found NextDoor useful - a woman had taken her beagle, Lulu, to the local PetCo for grooming. Lulu managed to run out the front door when they were putting the store lash on her and taking off her regular leash. This dog was missing for two weeks, running a couple of miles around the area where the PetCo was. People posted Lulu sightings several times a day, but she was terrified and wouldn’t let anyone get close to her.

This was during lockdown and I was riveted. Finally, after chasing the sightings of her and looking constantly on their own, the owners found her. They posted a photo of her, dirty and exhausted, but safe and healthy, in their car when they were taking her home. It was like a happy ending in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 152March 4, 2024 1:26 PM

Most of the replies on this thread sound like the same person who’s clearly addicted to being on NextDoor.

by Anonymousreply 153March 4, 2024 7:48 PM

R113, yes, my NextDoor is just inundated with shelter pit bulls that someone is championing. Most likely bred to fight and then abandoned. I feel bad for the dogs, but they ain't never getting adopted unless some kooky "I [heart] my Pibble" frau takes them in.

"Cuddles is housebroken and loves to give kisses. Because Cuddles has been in the shelter system for so long, he has some food-guarding issues and will do best in a house with no children. Cuddles has a history of abandonment and can show a little jealousy, so it's best if he goes to a home with no other pets." Etc.

by Anonymousreply 154March 4, 2024 8:21 PM

"Whichever neighbor is making false reports to the leasing office about our dogs will now have to give date and time stamps as we will be recording everytime our dogs go outside along with a security camera in each window. Building 16 back side as mentioned before in a post yall aren't cleaning up after your dogs and making us your scape goat. My dogs aren't aggressive so you wanna make up fake stories we will have proof. Why are you like this? Is it because we are a queer couple? We just moved in a month ago and barely have interacted with my neighbors. I will also be putting letters on your doors as well so you are notified of this as a courtesy as we are stopping in the leasing office today as well."

by Anonymousreply 155April 11, 2024 7:43 PM

Send this to 10 of your friends:

"PLEASE neighbors I'm a 50 yr old disabled widow trying to find a safe place to live at no more than $850. I'm being kicked out early (by 1st person to have relationship after husband's death 6-22-2013). I can only afford $850/mth. Please pray, let me know of a safe rental with vacancy that takes under 55 yrs old. I'm retired investigator & ombudsman for TX Attorney General's Office which means I can pass any background check. Please pray God reveals where he wants me to live. May everyone who sees this have a drama free week with love & respect as a human/creation of God"

by Anonymousreply 156April 15, 2024 11:53 PM

My neighbor begs and begs me to sign up. She knows how snarky I am, no-nonsense and security conscious I am.

by Anonymousreply 157April 16, 2024 12:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!