Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Incomparable Walton Goggins

I have only seen him in two Danny McBride vehicles - Vice Principal Lee Russell in "Vice Principals" and the unforgettable snake oil salesman and revival tent preacher "Baby Billy" in The Righteous Gemstones. But OMG he is an amazing actor! Incredible timing, so fucking funny, bold and brave, and also brings a lot of heart and empathy to even the weirdest and most obnoxious of characters. I'm OBSESSED. And he's scorching hot, once you get used to his whole deal! He's sexy as hell.

I intend to make a list of things he's worked on, and binge it all. I know he's on Justified and Sons of Anarchy as well as I'm sure lots of other shows.

Anyone else a fan of Walton Goggons?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193April 19, 2024 4:07 AM

Love him. He has a killer smile. I think he was just supposed to be the villain for the first season of [italic]Justified[/italic], but he was so good, and his chemistry with Olyphant was great, so they kept him on for the full run. He also has a small part in [italic]the Bourne Identity[/italic]. He plays the CIA guy who explains Marie's family situation.

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2023 1:54 AM

He's beautiful in spite of the poorly-done veneers. He was awesome on Justified.

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2023 1:57 AM

I saw him back in the early 2000s on the TV series THE SHIELD - he has a Jack Nicholson type vibe and is a very good actor to boot.

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2023 2:00 AM

Yooo, I just binged Vice Principals yesterday and today for some reason. Probably because I like The Righteous Gemstones but I completely missed VP when it aired. I love this guy! He’s so batshit insane on that show, it’s hilarious. Seems like he’s willing to do or say anything as an actor. I was fully expecting his character to hook up with a guy at some point, but that didn’t happen. Oh well.

He’s great in everything. He’s got a weird face and crazy teeth, eyes, and hair but it all works together to make a good looking guy.

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2023 2:06 AM

He was on a show called The Unicorn for two or three seasons. I think it was on CBS. That may have been the only normal character I’ve ever seen him play. A window with some kids who is ready to date. I’m not sure if it’s streaming anywhere.

He was a trip as Venus Van Dam on Sons of Anarchy. That was something else.

Check out the 2010 movie Predators. He’s in that. And House of 1,000 Corpses if you’re looking for nasty horror by Rob Zombie.

And he has a smallish part in Django Unchained or a larger part in The Hateful Eight. He’s very prolific.

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2023 2:13 AM

Ditto everything you just wrote, R4. I too just finished binging Vice Principals because of Gemstones (and I had already binged Eastbound and Down). It's not as strong or consistent of a show as Gemstones but OMG LEE RUSSELL is about the most incredible, batshit, complicated, addictive character ever. And yeah, the guy should not be as hot as he is considering the various parts and pieces are all a bit off. But put together, with his personality, the guy is sex on wheels.

I thought the big reveal was going to be that he was a closet gay who ends up falling in love with Gamby. But no, he's just twee. I loved his whole deal.

That ending though, in the mall food court...made me wonder if he was a mirage, or what. What do you think?

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2023 2:15 AM

OP ^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2023 2:15 AM

Thanks, R5! Yeah I had no idea how many things he's been in until I started googling him. Thank you for all of the tips.

by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2023 2:16 AM

OP!! This is so weird! I just laid in bed with the husbear after we watched the 7th episode of the first season of Vice Principles wondering if this show had ever been talked about on DL! It’s a scream and I love Goggins. We discovered the show on Sunday night after recently watching the Genstones due to the chatter on DL. How funny to open up the browser and find your thread at the top of the page .

by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2023 2:18 AM

Hell yes I'm a fan of Walton Goggins! Despite playing some really deplorably racist characters throughout his career, he's the complete opposite in his personal life and is a staunch progressive.

I've always found him oddly sexy. (Then I'm a sucker for a redneck.) I think he did some of his best work as an actor on Justified. Tarantino was smart to pair him alongside Samuel L. Jackson in The Hateful Eight, as I always viewed as the White Samuel L. Jackson (His character in Justified had a lot of similarities with the characters Jackson played in Tarantino's movies.)

by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2023 2:19 AM

That's crazy, R9. I was hoping I wasn't creating a thread that had already been created. Yes, he's insane and amazing! Glad we could have this cosmic moment. It must be in the air right now.

by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2023 2:21 AM

thanks OP for this thread

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2023 2:22 AM

Alright, I think I'll watch Hateful Eight next since its a movie and not a series, I can manage that soon. Thank you for the tip! He's so fucking good.

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2023 2:22 AM

R4 here. I was watching some YouTube videos of him yesterday and the Gemstones cast agree that WG is the one who breaks character the most. Probably because Uncle Baby Billy has some ridiculous lines. Hard to keep a straight face I bet.

And he met Danny McBride when he auditioned for season three of Eastbound and Down (Jason Sudekis ended up getting the role) and that put WG on McBride’s radar. They met in New Orleans while both filming other stuff and eventually that led to the vice principals casting. He was a great choice for Lee Russell and the perfect one for Baby Billy.

(I also thought the Judy Gemstone actress was fantastic in Vice Principals. No doubt why she got the gemstone role!)

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2023 2:23 AM

R5 There’s nothing normal about playing a window.

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2023 2:23 AM

R14 Yes Edi Patterson plays unhinged really well. I about did a spit take when I saw her turn up in VPs since I watched Gemstones first and she makes a HUGE impression on that show. She's very talented. Her arc on VPs is mind-scrambling. So stressful lol.

by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2023 2:27 AM

Honestly, R14, Jason Sudekis was perfect in Eastbound, I can't imagine anyone else playing that role. But I'm glad it got Goggins in the mix subsequently. I imagine he's on permanent retainer now for all future Danny McBride vehicles.

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2023 2:29 AM

You got me r15! I meant to type widow. Then I realized I really meant widower. Must be time for bed!

by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2023 2:34 AM

R5 It gave me a good laugh!

by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2023 2:36 AM

I Love his delivery of this line:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 16, 2023 2:39 AM

Venus Van Dam in SOA. Adrienne Barbeau played his sadistic mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 16, 2023 2:40 AM

R6 I thought there was no way Russell wasn’t gay. The dick-first-pigeon-toed-exaggerated walk he does in addition to everything else about him made me think he’s into men. He did mention being part of orgies or gang bangs if I remember correctly, so I have to believe he at least hooked up with dudes before. I did think he might end up being in love with Gamby. It best friend love is fine.

I’m not sure about the end. I don’t know if I like him as a regional manager of Apricot Lane and having to work in a mall. But he seemed to still be the head bitch in charge and made some friends to eat lunch with. It was weird how he kind of disappeared from the lunch table. But I do think he was there.

I just want him and gamby to still be friends! Their weird little friendship made me happy. One of my favorite parts of the show was when the four of them were changing the answers on the students’ tests. That was sweet. And then it wouldn’t be Vice Principals if they didn’t do something weird like take a blood oath.

by Anonymousreply 22August 16, 2023 2:52 AM

R21 that must’ve been so strange getting the fake boobs and everything on. Walton’s got a good figure for the outfit, but the face is a little rough. Looks much better as a man!

by Anonymousreply 23August 16, 2023 3:03 AM

"I am a man who knows he's a woman." Nowadays they'd be canceled over this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 16, 2023 3:14 AM

Oh wow, R24. He's so so good. In everything.

by Anonymousreply 25August 16, 2023 4:46 AM

Love the man. He has great energy and he pulls my eyes to his characters. He and Olyphant should not have gone to the mule vet to get their choppers done, however. I actually thought Goggins teeth were a running gag in Vice Principals.

by Anonymousreply 26August 16, 2023 5:07 AM

He was in a subtle gay-themed film that was good, long forgotten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 16, 2023 5:21 AM

Adore him. Was so good in Sons of Anarchy. I can see him being nominated for an Oscar in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 28August 16, 2023 5:58 AM

Loved him since the shield. Hot body too. Didn't he win an Oscar for writing?

by Anonymousreply 29August 16, 2023 11:55 AM

No, his production company partner, Ray McKinnon, and Ray’s wife won the Oscar for best short film writing for The Accountant back in 2001 or 2002. I don’t think Walton got an Oscar. But I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 30August 16, 2023 1:18 PM

I want him to get that Emmy for Righteous Gemstones season three, though! Best Supporting Actor in a comedy.

by Anonymousreply 31August 16, 2023 1:19 PM

RG has so many funny Baby Billy scenes. but one of my favorites is when he's spending Christmas with the family & he's badmouthing his wife (that he just left at the mall) and tells the kids "she was was judging you all - especially you, Kelvin. She said you had the most boring hair she'd ever seen!" This grown man fighting with these kids is so funny.

I'll have to check out VP, especially if Judy Gemstone is on that show

by Anonymousreply 32August 20, 2023 11:40 PM

He was electrifying in some of his preaching scenes in the early years of Justified. If he preached on Tv as a real pastor, he’d have more money than Joel Osteen.

by Anonymousreply 33August 21, 2023 3:22 AM

He makes a hot Chef Boyardee!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 21, 2023 3:28 AM

He's charismatic as an absolute motherfucker in general, and as Baby Billy specifically. Just leaps out of the TV. I've never seen anything like it. He sizzles. I love the whole Gemstones cast, but I cannot fathom that show being as satisfying and addictive as it was without his character in the mix.

I do love Kelvin with all my heart though. Honestly, he might actually be the one that steals the show. His and Keefe's whole thang, that arc, is just the best. OMG. I love Kelvin so much.

by Anonymousreply 35August 21, 2023 3:31 AM

That was hilarious, R34! Like, everything they do is kind of perfect and amazing. They make a great team.

Walton is sex on wheels in that video, too. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 36August 21, 2023 3:35 AM

I saw him for the first time in The Apostle, Robert Duvall's epic. Never saw him before and sought him out ever after. Loved him in The Shield.

by Anonymousreply 37August 21, 2023 4:50 AM

Count me among his fans. Has such a unique look and presence that always leaves an indelible impression. Is equally comfortable in drama and comedy, and his work on “Invincible” shows he’s got voice-acting chops as well.

May he work long and prosper.

by Anonymousreply 38August 21, 2023 6:52 AM

As Venus Van Dam he bears a passing resemblance to middle aged Brooke Shields.

by Anonymousreply 39August 21, 2023 9:37 PM

He had great chemistry with Timothy Olyphant in Justified.

by Anonymousreply 40August 23, 2023 3:31 AM

Walton was only supposed to be in the first season of Justified but he was so good they made him a regular.

by Anonymousreply 41August 23, 2023 8:02 PM

That's awesome, R41. I haven't watched Justified but obviously that's the next on the list.

by Anonymousreply 42August 23, 2023 11:19 PM

Not just the first season- Boyd was supposed to die in the pilot episode. Test audiences and the show’s creator liked him so much they made him a reoccurring character in season one and a regular from season two on.

by Anonymousreply 43August 23, 2023 11:32 PM

Boyd and Raylan should have hate fucked.

by Anonymousreply 44August 24, 2023 1:59 AM

He shows full frontal as Uncle Baby Billy.

by Anonymousreply 45August 24, 2023 3:15 AM

Big or small? Cut or uncut? We need details!

by Anonymousreply 46August 24, 2023 3:27 AM

r46 Are you into 80-year-old dick?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 24, 2023 4:18 AM

He should’ve shown dick this last season in episode 9 in the flashback scene where he was Y2K partying with Dusty Daniels in Monaco. That drug fueled orgy should’ve at least given us youngish Uncle Baby Billy ass and/or dick. Dusty Daniels also could’ve joined the show.

We did get *a* dick, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 48August 24, 2023 6:16 PM

^I thought that was a funny way to end the season, since the whole premise of the family feud was the Y2K scam. The others are hunkering down and preparing for disaster while Baby Billy is partying his ass off (and his 2nd bankruptcy)

by Anonymousreply 49August 24, 2023 6:22 PM

King Ding-a-Ling!

I like how his ass looks in these pants. I think we only saw them twice. Should’ve worn them more often.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 24, 2023 6:24 PM

His first wife killed herself? What happened?

by Anonymousreply 51August 24, 2023 7:20 PM

Yes, he was by turns cocky and violent and utterly heartbreaking in [italic]The Shield.[/italic] My God, what a performance he gives in the final two episodes of the series; "Family Meeting" is one of the best episodes of any series in television history (no, I am NOT exaggerating).

He was also fantastic (and again, heartbreaking) in the [italic]Criminal Minds[/italic] episode "Demonology." His chemistry with Paget Brewster's character was incredible.

And he is a brilliant comedic actor, as well.

Great topic, OP!

by Anonymousreply 52August 24, 2023 7:33 PM

R51 she jumped off the 17th floor of a building in LA in 2004. She had chronic depression. She didn’t die on impact. A few days before she did it, she gave WG divorce papers.

She was from Canada and was a professional dog walker. Moving to LA and having her husband be away for months at a time added to her depression. Sad situation.

by Anonymousreply 53August 24, 2023 8:06 PM

Love him, and I actually haven't watched him in a lot of these highly loved shows. I now him mainly from The Shield, which I thought was an excellent show. And he was great on it.

by Anonymousreply 54August 24, 2023 8:17 PM

I thought it was implied that Raylan and Boyd were more than friends before Raylan left Kentucky.

by Anonymousreply 55August 24, 2023 9:25 PM

Sorry, "know," not "now."

by Anonymousreply 56August 24, 2023 9:36 PM

Skinny guys usually have big cocks.

by Anonymousreply 57August 24, 2023 11:34 PM

I think they were classmates, but one got away from his crazy father, and the other one wasn’t able to do so; and there was definitely resentment from Boyd. It’s been a decade or so since I watched the series, maybe it’s time for a binge.

by Anonymousreply 58August 25, 2023 12:06 AM

We dug coal together.

by Anonymousreply 59August 25, 2023 12:07 AM

Is that a euphemism?

by Anonymousreply 60August 25, 2023 1:06 AM

Why couldn't his wife go on location with him? They didn't have kids. She could have set up an apartment wherever he was shooting, and walked dogs during the day while he was on set.

Can you fucking imagine one minute you're processing that your wife is divorcing you, and the next minute she's not even alive anymore for you to even be angry at or hurt by? She's just deleted herself from existence? Wow.

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 61August 25, 2023 1:08 AM

It happens.

by Anonymousreply 62August 25, 2023 1:20 AM

Everytime someone asks Raylan how he knows Boyd he gives the same answer. There is obviously a lot more to it

by Anonymousreply 63August 25, 2023 1:42 AM

There could have been many reasons why his wife was depressed. Maybe he's a cheater who didn't want her hanging around set.

by Anonymousreply 64August 25, 2023 2:33 AM

NOT MY GOGGINS, R64!

Sounds like she may have suffered depression in life. But then it intensified when she relocated from her home country of Canada to LA to be his wife. (THey met in Canada when he was filming there.). He was gone working a lot, and she had no friends or support system.

I mean, yeah, maybe he cheated, but we have zero proof. Any everyone says he's a really good guy. So I choose not to believe that theory.

by Anonymousreply 65August 25, 2023 3:09 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 66August 25, 2023 2:47 PM

Well there is this blind item-

A B list actress from a popular movie adaptation has been sleeping with the boyfriend of her best friend since April. She found out she was pregnant a few weeks ago and aborted the baby. Last week, her best friend became engaged to her lover….. more as this story develops. B list actress: Kate Bosworth popular movie adaptation: Superman best friend: Nadia Connors lover: Walton Goggins

by Anonymousreply 67August 25, 2023 3:24 PM

^I don’t know if I believe that. Is Nadia Connors an actress? Never heard of her.

by Anonymousreply 68August 25, 2023 5:13 PM

She's a writer/producer and Walton's second wife.

by Anonymousreply 69August 25, 2023 5:17 PM

Great interview with some unfortunate remarks about Harvey Weinstein!😬

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 25, 2023 8:07 PM

Can you post the interview? I’ve reached my monthly vulture article limit. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 71August 25, 2023 8:11 PM

“Can you believe I have a fucking pool?”

Walton Goggins is showing me the lush backyard of his 1922 French Tudor home in the Hollywood Hills on a hot June afternoon in Los Angeles. Even after living in the house for five years, he still can’t believe he actually lives here. “I mean, this pool was carved into the mountain,” says Goggins, whose lingering Georgia accent infuses every declaration with the earnestness of a Southern preacher. “I’ve been gone a lot lately, so anytime we’re all together as a family, we’re out here. It’s our own little paradise, you know?”

As Goggins takes our tour inside, we are greeted by his cherubic 5-year-old son, Augustus, and wife, writer-director Nadia Conners, who kisses Goggins newly bearded face — a makeover due to his upcoming role in History Channel’s Navy Seal drama Six, filming in North Carolina — before she rushes off to a meeting. “I wake up every morning with one of the smartest people I have ever met,” he gushes about Conners. “I have unfettered access to her brain; a very specific, all-encompassing worldview every single day. I’m truly the luckiest son of a bitch in Hollywood.”

To call him lucky in Hollywood would be to skip past the 25 years he’s spent playing That Guy. He logged countless supporting roles in indie films (The Apostle), studio movies (Cowboys & Aliens), and cable dramas (The Shield, Justified) before finding a crazy fan in Quentin Tarantino. The director shifted Goggins’s career into overdrive by casting him in 2012’s Django Unchained and in last year’s The Hateful Eight, telling Vulture last fall, “Watching him for six years [on Justified] do faux-Quentin dialogue let me know that he’s got the right kind of tongue.”

by Anonymousreply 72August 25, 2023 8:13 PM

This week, Goggins, 45, returns to TV for his biggest (and most ridiculous) role yet in HBO’s latest entry from Eastbound & Down creators Danny McBride and Jody Hill, Vice Principals — an 18-episode, two-season comedy about two Southern high-school administrators, Lee and Neal (Goggins and McBride, respectively), who channel their loathing for each other into taking down the school principal. Goggins spoke with Vulture about how growing up poor and as an only child in the South led him to acting, how he fought his way into Hollywood, and why he “loves” Harvey Weinstein.

What appealed to you about HBO’s Vice Principals? I truly think Danny McBride is Woody Allen for fly-over America. But Vice Principals isn’t as adolescent as Eastbound & Bound. But then again, remember the end of Eastbound’s first season when Kenny Powers leaves his girlfriend at the convenience store? Shit! Kenny is a fucking flawed human being. That’s why it all works. And Danny and Jody are always walking that line. I really believe what they do is sublime. Vice Principals also gets fucking dark. Dark and deep.

It’s also arguably the most over-the-top comedic material you’ve ever done. Is it a different exercise for you playing a part like this? I actually feel like I’ve been doing comedy forever. The Shield was actually one of the funniest shows on television. Justified was another level of comedic intelligence. It was Elmore Leonard–sophisticated humor.

Elmore wrote the way we wish people really spoke. Yeah, exactly. And Quentin does the same thing. His sense of humor feels like it can take place inside a bar or at the Met Museum. Similarly, Danny’s sense of humor is as adolescent as you can get, but when you look behind the curtain, there’s a lot going on. It’s extremely sophisticated.

by Anonymousreply 73August 25, 2023 8:14 PM

How does it feel, after 25 years in Hollywood, to no longer be struggling or be seen only as “that Southern guy with the spiky hair?” I mean, you’re on Quentin Tarantino’s actor roster now. It’s incredible, but mostly a total fucking relief not having to work so hard just to get a seat at the table. Playing Boyd Crowder [in Justified] was actually a real cross to bear for me personally; he was a real mantle I was carrying for a long time, and in order to rise above the stereotypical portrayal of Southern people as …

Rednecks and white trash. Yeah. I’m proud of Boyd because I feel like I was able to educate people in urban areas about the struggles that people have in rural America. And then to have moments, like I did at Comic-Con for Django, where I’m sitting on the dais with Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Samuel L. Jackson, and just like, How the fuck did I get here? What is happening right now? I’ve had a lot of those in my career: “moments of manifestation,” I call them. Doing Shanghai Noon with Owen Wilson was one of those. Bottle Rocket was one of my favorite movies, and as soon as I saw it I thought, “I’m just gonna focus on this dude. I want to work with this guy.” And I did.

So Bottle Rocket comes out in 1996 while you’re in L.A. still looking for your big break as an actor. How did you pay the bills? Well, first I refused to work in a restaurant. [Laughs.] Nothing against waiters and waitresses, but I couldn’t do it. I didn’t want to be that actor in L.A. having conversations with other actors about acting. I usually run away from those things. I generally don’t hang out with actors in between takes. I’m an only child, so I’ve always been off in a corner somewhere. I think it’s actually taken some learning to know how to be around other people. But the one thing I never had a problem with was listening. My mother was a great listener. And so I never had to compete for her attention because I was an only child.

by Anonymousreply 74August 25, 2023 8:15 PM

What did your parents do for work when you were growing up? My mother made $12,000 a year working for the State of Georgia in Workers Comp. My father sold insurance. But my parents divorced when I was 3. He and I had an on-off relationship for most of my life. So growing up it was me, my mom, and father’s father, oddly enough. He was the one consistent male figure in my life. I was the apple of his eye. I was mostly raised by extraordinary, highly dysfunctional, crazy Southern women. My mother’s mother was an actress in New Orleans in the 1930s. She met my grandfather and moved to Warm Springs, Georgia, and he was good friends with Franklin Delano Roosevelt. He had a thousand acres growing peaches and pulpwood. They had this beautiful life, and my mother and her three sisters were born into it. My mother remembers Roosevelt stopping in the yard saying, “Hiya, neighbor!” Then they went from this incredible cultured bucolic life to my grandfather dying from diabetes in my mother’s arms when she was 14. Then the house burned down, my grandmother went insane. She was a nurse and got addicted to amphetamines because of the grief of losing her husband and raising four girls ages 4 to 17. It’s a passel of amazing fucking stories. I had a front row seat to the real Steel Magnolias. But we were all fucking black sheep.

Who first introduced to you to the arts and performing? Another aunt of mine wound up being a publicist for B.B. King, Phyllis Diller, and Wolfman Jack. But because my mom had me when she was 23, after they had lost everything, all we really had arts-wise was a lot of storytelling. Our family time was never about TV or cinema. And a whole bunch of her friends were always stopping by. There was a dude named Rabbit who was a locksmith and a small-time pot dealer who’d park his van in our yard, open our windows, and use our electricity to make his keys. Another dude named Be-Bop was also always there. He gave me my first job —selling hope chests for young girls who wanted to get married. [Laughs.]

by Anonymousreply 75August 25, 2023 8:15 PM

Did you act at all in high school? No, but I grew up watching another aunt perform on stage from the time I was 6. I stayed with her while she was doing dinner theater, and I’d see these beautiful women changing backstage, the whole life, the bohemian lifestyle, the reaction from the audience and thought, “I want to do that. It’s very powerful.” So I went to this casting director’s office in Atlanta, a woman named Chez Griffin — I didn’t have an appointment, so my mother drove me down there, I was only 14 — and I knocked on her door and said, “I want to talk to Chez. My name is Walton Sanders Goggins Jr. I don’t need an appointment. Just tell her.” And she came out and said, “Okay, who is this kid?” I told her, “I don’t know how to do this, but I know that I’ve had an interesting life, and I know that I feel things deeply. With some guidance and help, I can do this.” And she said okay. Then I started working in Georgia, and did a movie in 1990 called Murder in Mississippi. Did you consider college at all? I went to Georgia Southern for one year. I had good grades and probably would have gone into philosophy or political science. I was also really good at math. I had a good memory if nothing else. I think it helped that growing up I was given a lot of responsibility. I was a latchkey kid. I’d get home after school when I was 7 and be left alone until my mother got home. That was life in 1970s, man. She’d call me, “Did you make it home? Are you still alive? What are you gonna have to eat? Okay, I’ll be home at six.”

Can you imagine doing that with your kid now?

No. I was only two fucking years older than my son is now!

So you leave college and move to L.A. at age 19 by yourself. That must have been very difficult and isolating. Yeah, it was. But I actually got my first job after being here for one week — a role opposite Billy Crystal in Mr. Saturday Night. I was the Nervous Kid in a flashback sequence. It didn’t make the movie, but it made the DVD. [Laughs.] That was a really big deal. I actually ran into Billy about three years ago. I wasn’t gonna say anything, but he looked at me and said, “You’re not so nervous anymore!” But even getting a role to play a role like “Guard at the Gate” was a struggle. I worked a lot at night, too. I had a valet parking business. I had six restaurants and three parking garages as clients in the Valley — places like the Moonlight Tango Café, the Great Greek, and Cha Cha Cha. I also sold cowboy boots. Around that time I got a part in The Next Karate Kid with Hilary Swank. I was twenty-fucking-one years old and the main bad-guy part was down to me and a guy named Michael Cavalieri. So I went in first, and nailed it. It was like, Wow, my life’s about to change! I’m the bad guy in Karate Kid! Everyone’s gonna know who I am. This is real work! And then he got the part.

by Anonymousreply 76August 25, 2023 8:16 PM

That knocked you down a peg. Yeah. I told myself, “Don’t cry in front of these people. Hold it together, walk off this lot right now.” And on my way out, I walked passed Warren Beatty. I had tears in my eyes and he looked right at me; I’m sure he could tell what was happening. He nodded kindly and kept walking. It was like he knew, you know? So I go back to my boot-selling job on Pico. I’m helping somebody find a size 10 and I’m like, “You know what, man? Fuck this!” I pick up the phone and call Warner Brothers and say, “I need [late producer] Jerry Weintraub’s office.” The director Chris Cain picks up the phone and I tell him, “I understand why I didn’t get the part. But the character has a best friend. I’m calling to see if I could audition for that part. I just want to learn from you.” He says, “Hold on a second. Jerry!” He comes back and says, “Okay, the job’s yours.” And I was with Hillary in Boston for four months and made $21,000 — more money than my mother made in two fucking years. And I continued to work pretty steadily until I got The Apostle three years later and was able to quit all my other jobs.

Your most significant creative relationship has been with fellow Southerner and creator of Rectify, Ray McKinnon, an actor-writer-director with whom you’ve made numerous films and won an Oscar for the short film The Accountant. When did you first meet? On Murder in Mississippi. He played my father, even though we are only 15 years apart [laughs]. I remember walking into the table read and sitting right next to him, which made sense because he was playing my father. And the first thing he says is, “Don’t sit near me. You need to sit somewhere else.” He told me later, “I don’t look old enough to play your father and if you sat next to me, they’d see that I wasn’t old enough to play your father and they’d fire me.” But actually 15 isn’t far stretch from where I come from to have kids. I’ve got a couple of buddies at home who had kids at that age! Years later, we decided to be partners. And we became very close. I love him like a brother. The short film and movies we’ve made I’m as proud of as anything I’ve ever done. We are now 26 years into our friendship. He’s the first person I call in a crisis.

by Anonymousreply 77August 25, 2023 8:16 PM

Did you see an immediate boost in acting opportunities after working alongside Billy Bob Thornton and Robert Duvall in The Apostle in 1998? Yes and no. I remember being at the Toronto Film Festival and people whispering in my ear, “Man, this movie is going to change your life. This is it!” And then after it came out, everybody thought that I was just a local hire from Louisiana, so it didn’t do shit. [Laughs.] But when I was 29, The Shield comes along. And even then I was almost vomiting thinking, “I don’t want to get fired, please don’t let me get fired.” And the execs did want to fucking fire me after they watched the pilot! They were like, “This guy’s just fucking annoying.” I only had four words in the pilot! [Laughs.] But [creator] Shawn Ryan, unbeknownst to me, told them, “Give me one more episode with this guy.” And episode two was all Shane, my character, and Vic [Michael Chiklis]. Then they said, “Okay, never mind. He’s the guy.”

Since 2012, you’ve appeared in two Tarantino movies, Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight. What have you learned from him about storytelling? He’s an analog storyteller. His approach to the work is a confirmation to me that, no matter what, the story is king. And you are in the service of story regardless of how fucking difficult it is. Quentin enjoys the entire process. He brings you into the history of film and contextualizes your place in it. We are not singular in this expression, but we’re a part of one of the greatest inventions of human history.

And he is becoming increasingly more singular in his approach to making movies. Yeah, it’s him, Paul Thomas Anderson, and a few others.

Sadly, women directors are never credited with having the same impact on the craft. Yeah, and that’s fucking crazy. One of my directors on Six is Lesli Linka Glatter. She’s a baller, man. She’s on par with the best directors I’ve ever worked with. Also on the show was Kimberly Peirce. She is an artist. She’s intense. I also want to throw Gwyneth Horder Payton’s name in there. She was first AD on The Shield for six years and is now running her own shows.

From an acting perspective, what are the distinct differences you see in having a woman director? Having been raised by women, I understand them. Unless I’m in a relationship with them, and then I don’t have a clue, man. [Laughs.] But the biggest difference is their ability to process stress. They are usually more even-tempered. They are as aggressive as men when they need to be, but generally more accessible. And the ego doesn’t seem to be as prevalent. It’s a really nice energy to be around. There is just this fucking evenness to the day when a woman is at the helm, like Buddhist directors. I’ve worked with some of those, too!

by Anonymousreply 78August 25, 2023 8:17 PM

Six is an ambitious project for History. What made you say yes? Well, Harvey and Bob Weinstein are producing it. I love Harvey.

What do you love about him? We’ve all heard Harvey stories, you know? [Laughs.] I got to know him well over the course making Django, but was still extremely intimidated by him. He walks in a room and sucks the air out because he’s fucking Harvey Weinstein. And thank God a person like him still exists in the world. An authentic, larger-than-life personality, which are slowly being weeded out of Hollywood. We’re all so fucking marginalized now. But I told them, I’m not going be used as a propaganda for the American military. I have my own views, which are very level-headed. I’m not anti-military. I am in a place in my life where I am not really anti-anything.

Are you anti-Trump? [Pauses.] Yes, I am. I am fucking anti–Donald Trump 100 percent. So I said if I do the series, I want to be sure both sides are equally represented. You honor the person that is asked to fight and then talk about what that does to them spiritually and psychologically and emotionally. That’s why I got involved. And they have lived up to my expectations. I’m excited because I think it’s gonna poke people with a sharp stick on both sides of the conversation.

How would you describe your relationship with fame? Are you able to enjoy it? [Laughs.] Well, I’ve gotten to a place in the last four or five years where people actually know I’m Walton Goggins.

And not Walter Goggins as you’ve been called many times. No, not Walter. Except at Starbucks [laughs]. Come on people, it’s very easy, Walton. Walton. But if people see me on street, and they care, they think, “Yep, I’m talking to that guy. Hey, man, love your stuff. I want to talk to you about shit!” Unless I’m with my kid, I’m like, “Let’s do it!” I like that I’m a dude people want to talk to. There will be a time and when the acting part of my life over. I’ll live in another country and do something completely different, whatever that is. But for now I am having the time of my life. And there’s no pressure, because I don’t need to be Brad Pitt!

And Brad doesn’t even need to be Brad Pitt anymore. He probably just wants to get fat and lazy and lay around the house. [Laughs.] Exactly. I just want to just tell good stories, aggregate all the fucking cool friends that I’ve made along the way, drink some wine, work really, really hard and be a great father and a good husband — at least 60

by Anonymousreply 79August 25, 2023 8:17 PM

Hillbilly vibes. Not a flattering hairdo with a receding hairline. Forehead too high for close set beady eyes.

by Anonymousreply 80August 25, 2023 8:23 PM

I prefer him with a beard. In the video at R34 he's smokin' hot!

by Anonymousreply 81August 25, 2023 8:27 PM

Thanks r70. Except for the Weinstein love, I liked the interview. Love the anti-Trump quote. He seems like he’d be a talker in real life. I’d listen to his stories!

by Anonymousreply 82August 25, 2023 8:59 PM

I get the feeling he's a fantastic fuck.

by Anonymousreply 83August 25, 2023 11:26 PM

God, me too, R83. Like, just enthusiastic and FUN. Uninhibited.

by Anonymousreply 84August 26, 2023 12:08 AM

About his teeth, they were knocked out when he was a kid and he's always had implants.

by Anonymousreply 85August 26, 2023 7:31 AM

They were knocked out two times. First time getting hit by a baseball (dentist shoved them back in) second time smashed on the bottom of a pool (couldn’t fix it). Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 86August 26, 2023 12:27 PM

I've seen him in person. Petite.

by Anonymousreply 87August 26, 2023 12:37 PM

I've always considered him hot as well. But he should stop combing his hair backward like that. That's a much older man's hairstyle.

by Anonymousreply 88August 26, 2023 2:14 PM

I love his wiry physique.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 26, 2023 2:16 PM

[quote] They were knocked out two times. First time getting hit by a baseball (dentist shoved them back in) second time smashed on the bottom of a pool (couldn’t fix it). Ouch.

r86 He sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

by Anonymousreply 90August 26, 2023 6:09 PM

Straight boys play rough. They do stupid shit like that all the time.

by Anonymousreply 91August 26, 2023 7:33 PM

I don't get any gay vibes from him at all.

by Anonymousreply 92August 26, 2023 11:22 PM

He did however make a very convincing trans woman.

by Anonymousreply 93August 27, 2023 1:25 AM

[quote] Straight boys play rough. They do stupid shit like that all the time.

r91 Nah, diving into a pool and crashing your face into the bottom is not usual activity for anybody, straight or gay. He's none too bright.

by Anonymousreply 94August 27, 2023 3:10 AM

Has he done nudity onscreen?

by Anonymousreply 95August 27, 2023 5:41 AM

Did he hook up with guys on Sons of Anarchy he played a woman? Charlie Hunnam perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 96August 27, 2023 8:56 AM

He and Timothy Olyphant would be a hot pair.

by Anonymousreply 97August 27, 2023 6:37 PM

He has the most perfect nose.

by Anonymousreply 98August 27, 2023 7:03 PM

I read an interview with him years ago and he explained that he lived his life travelling the world and taking photographs - only coming back to the US periodically to work and earn money to continue travelling.

Don’t know if that’s still the case, but that’s an awesome way to live.

by Anonymousreply 99August 27, 2023 7:07 PM

In the interview posted it said he had bought a house in LA. Possibly he traveled more before he had the second wife and his son.

by Anonymousreply 100August 27, 2023 7:54 PM

I think he did a nude scene in Red Dirt.

by Anonymousreply 101August 27, 2023 11:06 PM

He showed his ass in Red Dirt and in an episode of Vice Principals.

by Anonymousreply 102August 28, 2023 2:52 AM

Has anyone watched his new show I’m A Virgo?

I haven’t, but this scene is a little Buffalo Bill-esque. Seems bizarre! I like the wolf underwear.

Check out the first video- under I’m A Virgo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 28, 2023 2:58 AM

Cute ass!

by Anonymousreply 104August 28, 2023 3:53 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 105August 28, 2023 7:01 AM

That's not him in the Righteous Gemstones screencaps.

by Anonymousreply 106August 28, 2023 4:11 PM

Yeah, they should take that down. It’s an 80 year old guy.

by Anonymousreply 107August 28, 2023 4:26 PM

It's insulting because I'm sure Walton has a better looking dick!

by Anonymousreply 108August 28, 2023 4:32 PM

I'm guessing cut, 6 inches, medium girth.

by Anonymousreply 109August 28, 2023 10:33 PM

I nominate him for a DL fave!

by Anonymousreply 110August 29, 2023 7:39 PM

The goggins, they do nothing

by Anonymousreply 111August 29, 2023 7:41 PM

Boyd makes a shocking return in Justified: City Primeval!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 30, 2023 3:51 AM

He looks better in motion.

by Anonymousreply 113August 31, 2023 9:39 PM

The veneers are crazy, but there has always been something very sexy about him regardless of that. Lean, hot body; handsome face. Definitely not conventionally hot, but the type who is fucking smoking for anyone with a little left-of-center taste. I would fuck the shit out of him.

by Anonymousreply 114August 31, 2023 10:06 PM

Sexy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 31, 2023 10:27 PM

He should just take those shorts all the way off

by Anonymousreply 116August 31, 2023 10:43 PM

OMG I love him R115. He's adorable.

by Anonymousreply 117August 31, 2023 11:55 PM

Fuck R112, he glowed up for the finale! He's a smoke show in the second pic

by Anonymousreply 118August 31, 2023 11:56 PM

This thread is making me think he is my number one celeb "wish I could fuck and suck"

by Anonymousreply 119August 31, 2023 11:57 PM

R118 yeah, he looked pretty normal in the episode. Less crazy eyes and crazy hair than regular Boyd!

He looked really good in the black and white outfit he changed in to.

by Anonymousreply 120September 1, 2023 12:51 AM

Young Walton was dreamy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121September 1, 2023 5:21 AM

He's aging like fine wine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122September 1, 2023 4:25 PM

Very hot!

by Anonymousreply 123September 1, 2023 4:40 PM

The first thing I ever saw him in was Django Unchained and he was so creepy and scary in it. When Django is hung upside down by him a think and the camera is upside down and you see WW pigeon toed swish walk out of frame, it's haunting. That is why I was surprised as hell to discover him as a comedic actor on VPs and then on the Righteous Gemstones. Even playing a racist sociopath, I found him sex. I think it is that confident swish.

by Anonymousreply 124September 1, 2023 5:13 PM

He's one of those people who get better looking with age.

by Anonymousreply 125September 2, 2023 12:41 AM

Very interesting post from Walton!👀

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126September 2, 2023 5:03 AM

I'd like to eat his hole and sit on his pole

by Anonymousreply 127September 2, 2023 8:03 AM

I'd like to see Walton and Timothy roleplay US Marshall and big bad outlaw.

by Anonymousreply 128September 2, 2023 8:53 PM

So he did a stunt cameo on Justified recently?

by Anonymousreply 129September 2, 2023 11:14 PM

Raylan and Boyd can't quit each other.

by Anonymousreply 130September 3, 2023 2:50 AM

If they ever resolve this writers' strike, SNL should totally get Walton Goggins to host.

by Anonymousreply 131September 3, 2023 2:57 AM

Cocktails with Walton!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 4, 2023 3:55 PM

by Anonymousreply 133September 5, 2023 12:48 PM

I like him with the beard and glasses in r132s link. The first hat is good as well.

Seems like a fun dude to hang with.

by Anonymousreply 134September 5, 2023 8:10 PM

R129

It was a set up for the next season if there is a next season.

Boyd on the run once again

by Anonymousreply 135September 5, 2023 8:18 PM

He looks like Elisha Cook Jr. Will he take a gunsel role?

by Anonymousreply 136September 5, 2023 8:33 PM

The veneers are way distracting…never thought I’d say that about any celebrity teeth.

by Anonymousreply 137September 5, 2023 10:21 PM

He broke his teeth out when he was a kid so the implants are necessary.

by Anonymousreply 138September 5, 2023 10:59 PM

But do they have to be so…big?

Too late to change them now, but those are some significant teeth.

by Anonymousreply 139September 6, 2023 12:19 AM

Southern boys are so 🔥!

by Anonymousreply 140September 6, 2023 2:29 AM

As Venus, he reminds me of Amy Landecker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141September 6, 2023 3:58 AM

His teeth are huge, but he somehow manages to own the look.

by Anonymousreply 142September 6, 2023 5:53 PM

by Anonymousreply 143September 8, 2023 5:36 PM

From his Instagram it appears he drinks a lot. But he does own a distillery so maybe it's just advertising.🤔 There's a nice close up of his ass with a bottle of gin in his back pocket.

by Anonymousreply 144September 9, 2023 1:04 AM

R8 he is a drinker and a smoker I believe—in good Southern fashion. Still hot though.

by Anonymousreply 145September 9, 2023 9:25 AM

Great pic with silver fox Timothy Olyphant!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146September 9, 2023 3:33 PM

He deserved an Emmy for Sons of Anarchy

by Anonymousreply 147September 10, 2023 5:07 AM

Walton has lived in LA since he was18. His does he still have a Georgia accent?

by Anonymousreply 148September 11, 2023 4:00 AM

R148 he is an actor. It takes A LOT of work to get rid of an accent, you have to work on it. If it's how he makes his money being cast as a Southern actor, why would he lose it?

by Anonymousreply 149September 11, 2023 8:40 AM

He's a dreamboat. His personality and humor, his dress sense, his confidence and lust for life. Really attractive!

by Anonymousreply 150September 11, 2023 8:47 AM

Walton's son doesn't look a thing like him. He takes after the wife.

by Anonymousreply 151September 12, 2023 8:01 PM

by Anonymousreply 152September 14, 2023 3:59 AM

The kid looks a lot like the wife.

by Anonymousreply 153September 14, 2023 4:03 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154September 15, 2023 6:49 PM

And he bakes! This man is a keeper!😍

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155September 16, 2023 1:13 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 156September 17, 2023 11:24 PM

I would just assume anyone with the last name Goggins would have huge teeth. Much like Smuckers, with a name like Goggins, the teeth gotta be big.

by Anonymousreply 157September 18, 2023 9:00 AM

I hope the dick is big!

by Anonymousreply 158September 19, 2023 7:37 PM

His teeth are nightmarish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159September 19, 2023 7:42 PM

Like he's going to blow you!

by Anonymousreply 160September 19, 2023 8:51 PM

by Anonymousreply 161September 22, 2023 8:58 PM

He's on my list of men who aren't typically handsome but exude sexuality and charisma.

by Anonymousreply 162October 17, 2023 5:45 PM

Walton naked on a motorcycle!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163October 30, 2023 9:02 PM

I'm still hoping that Boyd and Raylan will hook up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164November 3, 2023 7:51 PM

I desperately want to eat his ass

by Anonymousreply 165November 4, 2023 2:29 AM

He has a damn hot body. What self-respecting gay man wouldn't want that bouncing up and down on their cock?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166November 4, 2023 2:36 AM

Even with the huge, fake teeth, he's still hot

by Anonymousreply 167November 4, 2023 2:38 AM

Yeah, the teeth are inconsequential R167. Everything else is an A+ for me, so I can live with the crazy veneers.

by Anonymousreply 168November 4, 2023 2:43 AM

Signed on for White Lotus - I am very excited.

by Anonymousreply 169January 22, 2024 4:09 PM

Every time I see those teeth, I'm reminded to go home and spray Brite on my kitchen tile.

by Anonymousreply 170January 22, 2024 4:16 PM

[quote] Why couldn't his wife go on location with him? They didn't have kids. She could have set up an apartment wherever he was shooting, and walked dogs during the day while he was on set.

you would think someone who jumped off a 17-story building would be rational about such things!

by Anonymousreply 171January 22, 2024 4:50 PM

Such a good actor. I’ll watch him in anything.

by Anonymousreply 172January 27, 2024 3:32 AM

He's in the new Fallout series on Prime.

by Anonymousreply 173April 11, 2024 12:49 PM

He's sexy even as a noseless ghoul.

by Anonymousreply 174April 11, 2024 8:29 PM

Saw him last week in an episode of In The Heat of the Night. He played a teen drug dealer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175April 11, 2024 8:43 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176April 13, 2024 12:10 AM

I am going to watch this weekend. Love Walter.

by Anonymousreply 177April 13, 2024 5:49 AM

Has anybody been watching Fallout? I’m thinking about watching it this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 178April 13, 2024 9:49 PM

Oh yes! I love him. He's sexy and funny, and I like whatever he's in. Great actor.

by Anonymousreply 179April 13, 2024 9:55 PM

There's a Fallout thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180April 13, 2024 10:12 PM

The Walton’s

Ma shit on dirt

by Anonymousreply 181April 13, 2024 10:18 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182April 14, 2024 3:51 AM

"Maybe I'm a lot to get your mouth around."😳

by Anonymousreply 183April 14, 2024 3:52 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 184April 15, 2024 6:17 AM

He has great chemistry with Fallout costar Ella Purnell.

by Anonymousreply 185April 15, 2024 7:34 PM

He played a MTF trans prostitute in about 6 episodes of the later seasons of Sons of Anarchy named Vanus Van Dam. He got the job thru his friendship with Kurt Sutter, the creator of Sons of Anarchy, who also EP/wrote/directed The Shield

The character helped out the motorcycle club on occasion and in return they helped her out. She eventually became romanic with one of the biker crew - You can see him in this scene being enamoured with her.

This clip is her first appearance and they're using her to blackmail some fat guy they've drugged

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186April 16, 2024 8:34 AM

Which Don was he on the Walton?

by Anonymousreply 187April 16, 2024 11:22 AM

He's no longer DL 's best kept secret.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188April 18, 2024 10:01 PM

Dick pic leak yet?

by Anonymousreply 189April 18, 2024 10:20 PM

Dick pix here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190April 18, 2024 10:28 PM

I’m in an AA Admiral’s club and the Wi-Fi says no. :(

by Anonymousreply 191April 18, 2024 10:36 PM

That's not his dick in The Righteous Gemstones. They used a body double because his character is elderly.

by Anonymousreply 192April 19, 2024 3:40 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193April 19, 2024 4:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!