Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New York City - What is it like in 2023

Post Pandemic comparisons. Rent, entertainment, tourists?

by Anonymousreply 482April 24, 2024 5:00 PM

Rent - high. Landlords warehousing apartments to keep the prices up. Entertainment - back to what it used to be in quality/quantity. Not as lucrative because boomers are staying home. Tourists are coming back but not from China and that does hurt the economy somewhat.

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2023 2:16 PM

Heroin users are being encouraged

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2023 4:51 PM

Back to the Future

Box office for most Broadway shows last week wilted a bit as June’s Tony glow gave way to plain old New York summer heat, though a couple newcomers were among the handful bucking the downward trend, one very impressively so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2023 4:55 PM

Racist mayor.

by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2023 8:17 PM

Saturday nights are filled with excitement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2023 7:34 PM

Knives Out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2023 7:53 PM

Knives Out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2023 7:56 PM

A walk in the park 2023

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2023 7:57 PM

Plenty of available office space available but not enough shelters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 25, 2023 9:48 PM

The wild, wild west

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 26, 2023 4:55 PM

The tourism is basically back to pre-pandemic levels. However many companies still have their office workers either working remotely or doing a hybrid of 2-3 days a week from the office. This significant drop of in-person office workers has had a big impact on many of the local business who for decades relied on the business crowd as their steady customers.

by Anonymousreply 11July 26, 2023 5:34 PM

-Many streets and neighborhoods feel MT and not just due to people being away for the summer.

-The restaurants along 7th Avenue south are empty as is 8th Ave in Chelsea.

- Many businesses are boarded up as there isn't enough foot traffic.

-Douglas Elliman for lease signs are everywhere.

-Times Square seems to be busy with tourists

by Anonymousreply 12July 26, 2023 7:18 PM

Overrun with RATS

by Anonymousreply 13July 26, 2023 7:25 PM

The cranes are flying. What goes up must come down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 28, 2023 3:46 AM

So the East Side Sauna made it through the pandemic (NYC's only remaining gay bathhouse?) The West Side Sauna did shutter for good a couple years ago?

Are those Turkish, or is it Russian, steam baths still open? Some had gay action?

by Anonymousreply 15July 28, 2023 6:45 AM

It's hard to make a living especially for small business owners, MTA workers and cabbies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 28, 2023 5:16 PM

Crime victims are youger than ever

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 28, 2023 5:18 PM

Rich Park Slopers love this stuff, R17. Likely the mother of those girls is reassuring them that they asked for it by being privileged, and that they should hope the attacker is not caught, because that would just compound the systemic injustice that they are all guilty of.

by Anonymousreply 18July 28, 2023 5:44 PM

They deserved it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 28, 2023 5:47 PM

They're all pretty much dead and were even before the pandemic. Dick's in the EV is apparently still a thing though.

by Anonymousreply 20July 28, 2023 6:43 PM

There seem to be more pigeons on the Upper West Side and they’re even more stupid now than they’ve ever been. I saw a bunch get mowed down by a car last night because some wouldn’t fly out of the way fast enough. I wonder if the ones who consistently fed them are dying off. I would think the wildfire smoke from Canada is affecting them and a lot will end up dead from ingesting it over time.

by Anonymousreply 21July 28, 2023 6:51 PM

[Quote] So the East Side Sauna made it through the pandemic (NYC's only remaining gay bathhouse?) The West Side Sauna did shutter for good a couple years ago? Are those Turkish, or is it Russian, steam baths still open? Some had gay action?

They're all pretty much dead R15 and were even before the pandemic. Dick's in the EV is apparently still a thing though.

by Anonymousreply 22July 28, 2023 7:29 PM

All of the storefronts that were empty during Covid are now smoke shops.

by Anonymousreply 23July 28, 2023 7:56 PM

So many restaurants and chains are leaving/closing

"Three years after New York’s first indoor dining shutdown, restaurants continue to close due to the lasting financial impacts of the pandemic. At least 4,500 food businesses have shuttered since March 2020. Since it’s difficult to track closings in real-time, experts say that number is likely much higher — and could take years to fully assess."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 29, 2023 3:23 AM

Can anyone compare its safety compared to Chicago? I’ve heard by some measures it’s safer in NYC, but that stuff gets skewed depending on who’s pushing the argument.

by Anonymousreply 25July 29, 2023 3:28 AM

Not possible R25 as both cities like Philly have become so violent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 29, 2023 1:09 PM

Just doing my job

"An NYPD traffic agent was pummeled in Hell's Kitchen on Thursday afternoon by an attacker who remained at large Friday, police said. The traffic agent was on duty near W. 47th Street and 11th Avenue at 3:20 p.m. when someone walked up and punched him repeatedly, according to police."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 29, 2023 1:41 PM

Tourists: Who needs 'em?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 31, 2023 12:36 AM

I'm glad the city was able to arrange to use the Roosevelt Hotel which was shuttered in 2021 after almost 100 years.

by Anonymousreply 29July 31, 2023 1:29 AM

Some businesses are booming

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 31, 2023 1:54 AM

Lots of crazy people walking the streets

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 31, 2023 4:17 PM

Lots of people sleeping on the sidewalk

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 31, 2023 4:19 PM

Violence is more random and pervasive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 31, 2023 5:42 PM

It has its UPS and downs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 31, 2023 6:21 PM

it's becoming more and more like Jules Feiffer's Little Murders

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 31, 2023 8:26 PM

'NY is the safest big city in America'-Eric Adams 7-31-23

comforting to know that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 31, 2023 10:21 PM

Bad things happen in 'good' neighborhoods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 2, 2023 4:58 AM

On the bright side, I've seen some of the hottest young cops on the streets. The thick New York accents makes them even hotter.

by Anonymousreply 38August 2, 2023 6:19 AM

^ hawt

by Anonymousreply 39August 2, 2023 6:23 AM

Chaotic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2023 8:36 PM

R37, Midtown is a "good neighborhood"? Oh, dear...

by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2023 8:42 PM

WAS!

by Anonymousreply 42August 4, 2023 9:09 PM

Wait! I thought Chicago was worse!

🙄

There has always been crime and there always will be. Get over yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 43August 4, 2023 9:15 PM

[Quote]There has always been crime and there always will be.

Now there's an original thought.

by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2023 9:25 PM

Thank you DLers for filling me in on local news broadcasts, which, like most educated sane people, I would never watch

by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2023 9:39 PM

it's national news, hon!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2023 10:01 PM

It’s fine OP. The rents are horribly high, but beyond that - whatever. Some dumb kids crowded Union square today for free PlayStations and the NYPD broke it up and no one was injured. I’m on the subway now to go down there to see a movie. Everything is running normally and everyone is quiet and on their phones.

I’ve lived here for 21 years. Including during the pandemic. I’ll never understand the posters anywho love to shit on NYC and pretend like it’s some post apocalyptic war zone 🙄

by Anonymousreply 47August 4, 2023 10:01 PM

Totally fine here. There's 9 million people here so there's going to be bad shit that happens (not to minimize it for the prime affected) but I've been here all my life and this city is NOT a dangerous place. At least no more dangerous than any other major city as long as you don't act like an idiot, stumble around drunk, or start problems yourself.

by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2023 10:15 PM

[Quote] s you don't act like an idiot, stumble around drunk, or start problems yourself.

ever hear of random, unprovoked attacks R48?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2023 10:25 PM

R40 R46 That would explain why all the subway lines had significant disruptions and delays for this evenings rush all attributed to police activity at Union Square.

by Anonymousreply 50August 4, 2023 11:47 PM

it's not the first time R50

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 5, 2023 2:00 AM

[quote]I’ve lived here for 21 years. Including during the pandemic. I’ll never understand the posters anywho love to shit on NYC and pretend like it’s some post apocalyptic war zone 🙄

It's the same thing re London, where I live - the rest of the country seem to think it's like living in Armageddon.

by Anonymousreply 52August 5, 2023 2:02 AM

It's really rather de rigueur R50

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 5, 2023 2:08 AM

[Quote] I’ve lived here for 21 years. Including during the pandemic. I’ll never understand the posters anywho love to shit on NYC and pretend like it’s some post apocalyptic war zone 🙄

more like a third world country I'd say

by Anonymousreply 54August 5, 2023 2:19 AM

[Quote] I’ve lived here for 21 years. Including during the pandemic.

looking back the pandemic was a halcyon period for NYC. The streets were quiet, clean and uncrowded. There was so little vehicular traffic you could bike ride on 14th Street like it was Central Park. Parking was no problem and crime was practically non existent and the subways were finally cleaned.

by Anonymousreply 55August 5, 2023 4:06 AM

R55 You are omitting the fact that during the pandemic lockdown more people became homeless and a lot of them were tasking over the public spaces and subways.

by Anonymousreply 56August 5, 2023 4:30 PM

They gave away free stuff at Union Square.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 5, 2023 5:26 PM

[quote] looking back the pandemic was a halcyon period for NYC. The streets were quiet, clean and uncrowded. There was so little vehicular traffic you could bike ride on 14th Street like it was Central Park. Parking was no problem and crime was practically non existent and the subways were finally cleaned.

Just don't pay attention to all those pesky corpses piling up in the morgues!

by Anonymousreply 58August 5, 2023 5:36 PM

R58 I felt safer on the street then than now. It was indoors and on subways and elevators where Covid was most likely to spread. And for a period the subways were closed at midnight and no one including the homeless were' tasking' over the subways R56

by Anonymousreply 59August 5, 2023 6:04 PM

and don't forget how the Emmy-winning "COVID Governor" mishandled resources

by Anonymousreply 60August 5, 2023 6:06 PM

(^.^)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 5, 2023 6:10 PM

[Quote] You are omitting the fact that during the pandemic lockdown more people became homeless and a lot of them were tasking over the public spaces and subways

I think your forgetting something R56

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 5, 2023 6:47 PM

and don't forget The Lucerne one of several hotels used as homeless shelters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 5, 2023 7:12 PM

[quote]and don't forget The Lucerne one of several hotels used as homeless shelters

Are you kidding? Us gurls had plenty to say about it.

by Anonymousreply 64August 5, 2023 7:26 PM

the gurls on the UWS and Hell's Kitchen certainly had a lot to say

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 5, 2023 8:04 PM

[Quote] as long as you don't act like an idiot, stumble around drunk, or start problems yourself.

and as long as your not Asian

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 5, 2023 9:25 PM

(^.^) you're not Asian

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 5, 2023 9:28 PM

OP Posting from Mee Maw's basement in Mound La. yet again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 5, 2023 11:22 PM

“New York City is definitely deteriorating, the quality of life and the quality of services,” said Paulson, who’s still a city resident. "

When the wealthy have had it with NYC . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 8, 2023 2:47 AM

[quote]“I talked to 22-23 people that moved to Florida,” said Howard Lorber, chairman of Douglas Elliman Realty. “Every one of them had a big apartment or a townhouse in New York — and not one of them sold. So I have a view that New York City is going to become the number one second-home market to the world.”

So that's the problem with Florida. Too many fucking New York transplants!

by Anonymousreply 70August 8, 2023 1:30 PM

New Yorkers are still pushy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 8, 2023 3:23 PM

Right now, up to an estimated 1,000 migrants arrive in New York City every day. Officials say the shelter system is becoming overwhelmed and resources are running thin.

Alone in a new country with young children and no access to work, migrant mothers told CBS News they're worried about the food available for their families in the New York City shelters. CBS News

on its way to becoming a third world country. A small population of extreme wealth along with . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 18, 2023 9:42 PM

I live in NYC and it's a fucking shithole. Born and raised here and can't wait to leave. It happened so fast too. It was tolerable before Covid but not anymore. Sat away.

by Anonymousreply 73August 19, 2023 12:09 AM

No permits or background checks needed to carry knives

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 19, 2023 5:54 PM

seems like there's no time between crimes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 26, 2023 4:31 AM

Flyover queen thread.

by Anonymousreply 76August 26, 2023 1:10 PM

One of the most extraordinary places to live on earth. Remains one of the hotbeds of human talent, creativity, and vital human behavior. It’s not for the weak minded or timid hearted. It’s a ways changing and evolving. In general it’s pretty tolerant and open- live and let live. I think I am lucky as hell to live in NYC- never take it for granted. It’s also a tough place to live economically- it’s biggest limitation.

by Anonymousreply 77August 27, 2023 1:53 AM

[Quote] Remains one of the hotbeds of human talent, creativity, and vital human behavior.

Was I'm afraid.

Where today in NY is the equivalent of Warhol, Spike Lee, Basquiat, Lichtenstein, Donna Karan, Fran Lebowitz, Tommy Hilfiger, Candace Bushnell, Mapplethorpe, John Patrick Shanley, Scorsese, Neil Simon, Woody Allen, Mel Brooks, Vera Wang, Keith Haring . . .

by Anonymousreply 78August 27, 2023 5:28 AM

Few artists exist in Manhattan today. The primary reason for all the past creativity was that people from all over the US would come to NYC; writers, artists, musicians, designers, etc.; all reside in neighborhoods where they could afford and congregate amongst themselves organically. All of that was basically eliminated because of the undue money and corporate influence of the mayors Giuliani and Bloomberg which changed the zoning and brought in venture capitalists that made almost every neighborhood unaffordable at a breakneck pace. Gentrification always existed in NYC but the changes were natural, today they are by unmatchable corporate forces, causing hyper gentrification.

by Anonymousreply 79August 27, 2023 12:58 PM

[quote]Flyover queen thread.

Seems like most of the responses are coming from New Yorkers.

by Anonymousreply 80August 27, 2023 1:23 PM

[quote]It’s also a tough place to live economically- it’s biggest limitation.

After the challenges of grammar.

by Anonymousreply 81August 27, 2023 1:24 PM

[quote]Flyover queen thread.

[quote]Seems like most of the responses are coming from New Yorkers.—truth hurts?

You're both incorrect, r80 and r76. If you ignoredar r78, you'll find that almost 50 posts, well over half of this thread, come from the same poster, red-lined troll brandonjoseph, who also used to proudly sign as FormerNewYorker. He claims to live in Weehawken.

He almost always shows up in NYC related threads, posting the most gruesome NY Post articles that he can find. Occasionally he will post about his youth in the East Village. He's also fond of childish insults, some of which will surely follow this post.

by Anonymousreply 82August 27, 2023 3:30 PM

Where else have you lived R77?

by Anonymousreply 83August 27, 2023 5:02 PM

Bwahahaha!

Beware, r77. R83 is also FormerNewYorker. Know that before you go down that rabbit hole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 27, 2023 5:37 PM

Agree with r77. Very happy to live here. Wish the rent wasn’t so high, but apparently that’s an issue all over the country.

Will never understand the DL fascination with hating on NYC.

by Anonymousreply 85August 27, 2023 5:45 PM

R85 people hate what NY has become

by Anonymousreply 86August 27, 2023 5:48 PM

R86 is FormerNewYorker again, r85.

He has now formally posted at least 50 out of 86 posts on this thread. If we all stop responding to him, he will probably revert to posting back to back crime posts to himself, as is his wont.

It's a beautiful day in NYC. I'm off to enjoy it. I hope you all have a great Labor day!

by Anonymousreply 87August 27, 2023 6:11 PM

R86. Just because you have no money? No job skills ? (Doubt you have a career. So job) it isn’t violence that flung you out. Drugs over rent? Do tell.

by Anonymousreply 88August 27, 2023 7:14 PM

[quote]Will never understand the DL fascination with hating on NYC.

There isn't, r85, only trolls here to bash big cities in blue states.

by Anonymousreply 89August 27, 2023 7:17 PM

R88 You are onto something regarding drugs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90August 27, 2023 7:24 PM

and the violence

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91August 27, 2023 7:27 PM

R88 why aren't you out enjoying the beautiful day in NY? What keeps you inside?

by Anonymousreply 92August 27, 2023 7:29 PM

Perhaps it's the rats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 27, 2023 7:41 PM

R88 Perhaps it's a preference for a cleaner, greener, safer, less crowded, quieter, friendlier environment without homeless and mentally ill people wandering around

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 27, 2023 8:27 PM

share more DJI ‎+0.73%‎ INX ‎+0.67%‎ COMP ‎+0.94%‎

CNBC Young, rich workers are fleeing New York and California—here's where they're going Story by Jennifer Liu •

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 27, 2023 8:50 PM

New Yorkers have had more than enough

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 27, 2023 11:51 PM

This recently uploaded video, 'The Truth About NYC That Nobody Talks About' , from a NYC native who goes by the moniker Joey the Gypsy and who now lives in Clearwater Fl, discusses a lot about what's wrong with the city now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97August 28, 2023 12:18 AM

All of the assholes reared in NYC eventually move to Florida.

by Anonymousreply 98August 28, 2023 12:56 AM

Concentrate on people!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99August 28, 2023 1:27 AM

I was invited by a (MAGA) neighbor to an anti-immigrant protest this coming Thursday. They're setting up some housing near here at Floyd Bennett field for them. It's a huge former airfield which is now federal parkland. I doubt the migrants are going to like it since it's in the middle of nowhere and I don't think there's any buses running in or out. No, I'm not going to the protest.

by Anonymousreply 100August 28, 2023 1:43 AM

The rat problem in NYC is due to the failure of the sanitation dept to pick up the trash in a timely manner during the pandemic. Sometimes they would skip pick-up date altogether and all the trash on the block would have to wait for the next pickup 4 days later.

by Anonymousreply 101August 28, 2023 1:54 AM

New Yorkers — including huge majorities of Democrats, Republicans, independents, upstaters and downstaters — overwhelmingly say that the recent influx of migrants to New York is a serious problem for the state,” said Siena College pollster Steven Greenberg.

“However,” he said, “that’s where partisan agreement ends. A plurality of Democrats says that migrants resettling in New York over the last two decades has been a benefit. But a majority of independents and two-thirds of Republicans say that migrant resettlement has been a burden to the state.”

In a recent survey, 82% of New York voters said the migrant influx was serious and 54% called it very serious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 28, 2023 1:58 AM

Tensions are rising between the New York City mayor’s office and the state and federal governments over how to handle more than 58,000 asylum-seekers now in the city’s care, as the Biden administration resists a quick fix proposed by the state and city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 28, 2023 2:05 AM

Now we know why they don't talk about it R97

by Anonymousreply 104August 28, 2023 2:13 AM

I am coming back to NYC in October after a short visit in July. Going to the ballet, opera, and Broadway, and visiting French Consulate.

by Anonymousreply 105August 28, 2023 3:01 AM

[quote]New Yorkers have had more than enough

Oh honey. Racist LI guidos organized by batshit-crazy Curtis Sliwa aren't New Yorkers.

by Anonymousreply 106August 28, 2023 3:07 AM

Says you honey!

by Anonymousreply 107August 28, 2023 4:25 AM

Someone finally listened

The Upper West Side of Manhattan is getting its first two noise cameras following tens of thousands of noise complaints just this year, alone. The cameras will target car and truck noise specifically and hefty fines will be the consequence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108August 28, 2023 7:52 AM

Was going to visit this Fall. No thanks. I'll go to the Blue Ridge Mountains instead.

by Anonymousreply 109August 28, 2023 12:49 PM

(^.^) and miss an opportunity to see Shucked!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110August 28, 2023 5:12 PM

R110, Shucked was funny not not that great. The second half dragged.

Some Like It Hotnwasnthenbest I've seen this year.

Not R109.

by Anonymousreply 111August 29, 2023 8:10 AM

New York City - It's like 2022 again, but different.

by Anonymousreply 112August 29, 2023 1:24 PM

Nice to see there are still some hot guys in NYC but . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 29, 2023 7:54 PM

[Quote] New York City - It's like 2022 again, but different.

Yeah, it's a year older

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 29, 2023 11:25 PM

A 120 year old water main pipe. Isn't anything built to last anymore?!

by Anonymousreply 115August 30, 2023 1:33 AM

[Quote] Isn't anything built to last anymore?!

Apparently not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 30, 2023 1:53 AM

Citizens resort to smoking pot in public and interfering with major events. It must be the only way they can cope with living in the city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 30, 2023 1:00 PM

Walk along 8th Avenue in midtown between 14th and 32nd street and while many businesses are shuttered weed shops are popping up on every block. The governor promises to crack down on illegal shops, but the city has more serious problems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118August 30, 2023 5:01 PM

Not everyone is using a pipe for smoking

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 30, 2023 5:07 PM

New Yorkers helped Biden get elected

The New York mayor and governor have asked for increased federal support to handle migrants in the state. Now in the first response, Biden administration officials are putting the responsibility back on the city and state. CBS News immigration reporter Camilo Montoya-Galvez explains the proposed solutions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120August 30, 2023 6:19 PM

It's where people come to die

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121September 2, 2023 7:52 PM

Was the Vessel at Hudson Yards closed?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122September 2, 2023 8:02 PM

Do look up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123September 2, 2023 8:15 PM

Leaping from tall buildings has become a trend

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 2, 2023 8:22 PM

The new normal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125September 6, 2023 5:51 PM

(^.^) and this is why it has become so common

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126September 6, 2023 5:53 PM

Pushing strangers onto the subway tracks has become an unfortunate trend

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 12, 2023 6:09 PM

Between assaults, the homeless and migrants it seems to be headed for a derailment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128September 13, 2023 4:33 PM

Urban decay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129September 13, 2023 4:36 PM

I left NYC for two years but nothing has changed me now I’ve been back for a year. I take the subway to and from work everyday and don’t feel unsafe. I’ve seen some good theater. Joined a papering service and seen some great stuff for $4.50 / ticket. I’ve seen BTTF: The Musical twice by lottery and love it. And my dog loves it here. We have a very dog friendly neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 130September 13, 2023 5:26 PM

changed FOR me

by Anonymousreply 131September 13, 2023 5:26 PM

The NYPD abandoned the subway system even before the pandemic lockdown. They only make their occasional cameo appearances when there is a major incident like a death. I ride the subway every day. I can count the fingers on my one hand of how many times I have seen an actual police officer on a train in the last 3 years.

by Anonymousreply 132September 13, 2023 5:51 PM

My colleagues who travel to work by subway are concerned and say they feel unsafe which is understandable since random unprovoked attacks have become so common. When I lived in NY (88-2006] I would take the subway at night to Brooklyn to see my friends or go to BAM but I wouldn't do that now. There also seems to be an increase in vehicular accidents involving pedestrians and there are so many more Citi bikes, E-bikes and scooters on the streets that never yield to pedestrians.

by Anonymousreply 133September 13, 2023 8:47 PM

Having more cyclists in NYC was a good idea, but the electric scooters and mopeds are a clear danger to pedestrians because they are not regulated and the drivers are reckless. I still ride the subway almost daily and never had a real issue.

by Anonymousreply 134September 13, 2023 9:07 PM

I commute to work by subway daily. I see police on the platforms very often (this is in Manhattan below 125th street though). I feel safe commuting by subway. I wouldn’t take the subway after 10pm though.

by Anonymousreply 135September 14, 2023 12:19 AM

There’s been a marked increase of Citi Bike and e-scooter collisions since 2006 when, incidentally, Citi Bikes and e-scooters didn’t exist.

by Anonymousreply 136September 14, 2023 12:37 AM

I watched a thing recently on Instagram where an ICU nurse was saying that those scooters are so fucking dangerous and landing so many people in the hospital with extremely serious injuries. She said young people are coming to the ICU with spinal cord injuries and traumatic brain injuries because of scooter accidents. A ton of nurses commented on the post saying they are seeing the exact same thing and the scooters should be outlawed.

They are terrible. And none of these fools have helmets on when they are flying around on them.

by Anonymousreply 137September 14, 2023 12:42 AM

I used to live in New York City

Everything there was dark and dirty

Outside my window was a steeple

With a clock that always said twelve-thirty

by Anonymousreply 138September 14, 2023 1:50 AM

R130 you may be in the same sea but you're not in the same boat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139September 14, 2023 6:00 AM

[Quote] There’s been a marked increase of Citi Bike and e-scooter collisions since 2006 when, incidentally, Citi Bikes and e-scooters didn’t exist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140September 14, 2023 8:10 PM

Police marveled at the brazenness - the outright disregard for humanity at the center of a beef between members of rival gangs in broad daylight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141September 15, 2023 3:46 AM

Assaults on cops are not really a big deal anymore. Body cam shows the man break the POs nose

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142September 15, 2023 4:06 AM

R142 It's shit like this that emboldens criminals to act with impunity.

by Anonymousreply 143September 15, 2023 1:10 PM

Good for the environment but at what cost? I notice that cyclists very often don't use the bike lanes and when they do, they often ignore the directional arrows in the lane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144September 15, 2023 3:35 PM

Too many various vehicles on the road and too little regulation. For one thing cyclists should be required to have lights on their bikes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145September 16, 2023 4:07 AM

PS according to ABC 7 the bike driver was going in the wrong direction not unlike NYC

by Anonymousreply 146September 16, 2023 4:40 AM

Though it's still one of the safest large cities the assaults are so hit or miss and senseless and occur in all Manhattan neighborhoods

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147September 18, 2023 7:42 PM

No city for old men

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148September 18, 2023 8:02 PM

This is what the once touted Greatest City in the World has become

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149September 27, 2023 5:04 PM

The streets are more dangerous than I ever remember

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150September 27, 2023 8:09 PM

about time. Pedestrians and drivers hate bike riders. They never stop, ride in all directions, are unregulated and not held accountable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151September 28, 2023 4:05 AM

I love NYC and I’ve forever known it’s not the cleanest city in the world, and that’s just part of living here. However, I’ve noticed most recently, as I’m fostering a dog new to the city, that the amount of trash left on the street is more horrifying than in the last ten years. I am hyper vigilant walking the dog, not on my phone, keeping a short leash, and I’ve still had to pry THREE chicken wing bones from his mouth in the last 24 hrs. Because of this additional hyper awareness now that a dog is in my care - chicken wing bones, cigarette butts and joints galore, used drug needles, dirty clothes, garbage and more garbage, remnants of food everywhere. What’s worse is I actually am talking about an area LINED with garbage cans. I am sorry if I’m ranting but this is disgusting and poses such a danger to pets and children, and really people in general. There are people with mental illness and addiction problems vomiting and bleeding and overdosing on a daily basis right in front of my apartment - on the one hand, it is so much worse than I have seen it in the past ten years as a safety and sanitation issue, but on the other hand, who is helping these people running up and down the streets in bare feet with open wounds barely conscious of their own safety??? Are we really doing anything to make things better around here? Sorry, I am so frustrated. My parents are both city kids so I’m no stranger to this. But you’d think we’d have figured something out by now. Do we keep sitting around saying that’s the way it is or do we actually somewhere start doing something? And I don’t want to hear some snarky comment like, keep voting democrat. Politics are a joke, I don’t care who you support. We need to stop supporting corrupt politicians at some point who don’t care about anything except getting in and staying in office and come together as a community and take matters into our own hands, because politicians don’t live the lives we live and see what we see. Find me a politician who travels without security and takes the subway everyday and sees what we see and I’ll give ‘em my vote.

by Anonymousreply 152September 29, 2023 2:51 AM

unhinged people are everywhere

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 6, 2023 5:02 PM

everything has become weaponized.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154October 14, 2023 8:54 PM

Don't worry. These assailants will be out the next day.

by Anonymousreply 155October 15, 2023 3:39 PM

NYers seem more easily provoked than ever

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156October 16, 2023 6:18 PM

NYers are dropping like flies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157October 17, 2023 6:01 PM

The subways seem cursed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158October 17, 2023 6:03 PM

It's still one of the safest big cities in the US

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159October 20, 2023 8:16 PM

R2 Is that a Subway ad, or a subway ad?

by Anonymousreply 160October 20, 2023 8:37 PM

This is a subway. Enter at your own peril.

CBS New York Police seek woman accused of kicking subway rider in face, hurling racial slurs in Queens

by Anonymousreply 161October 22, 2023 10:24 PM

It's quickly losing its edge. So much vacant office space that will probably be turned into apartments for migrants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162October 30, 2023 5:13 PM

City of hate and bigotry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163October 31, 2023 11:25 PM

So much for blue states

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164October 31, 2023 11:26 PM

It's been going on for years

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165October 31, 2023 11:28 PM

No neighborhood seems 'safe' anymore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166November 1, 2023 5:04 PM

NYC is an equal opportunity town, with a genuine concern with diversity - which group do we hate this month?

by Anonymousreply 167November 1, 2023 7:13 PM

Chicago is a better “big city” with hotter gay men.

by Anonymousreply 168November 1, 2023 9:00 PM

Trick or Treat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169November 1, 2023 11:51 PM

East Side West Side assaults are all around town

MANHATTAN, N.Y. (PIX11) — A woman briefly blacked out after being strangled from behind on a Manhattan street, according to the NYPD.

The victim, 29, was walking near Houston Street and Avenue D in the East Village when a man came up from behind and strangled her at around 4:10 a.m. on Oct. 22, police said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170November 2, 2023 3:56 AM

Walking around at 4 AM on Avenue D?

I recall us locals had the following thoughts on where you are in Alphabet City on the Lower East Side:

Avenue A, you're Okay Avenue B, you're Brave Avenue C, you're Crazy Avenue D, you're Dead.

by Anonymousreply 171November 2, 2023 11:09 AM

The city is filled with tens of thousands of extra tourists right now—family groups, here to enjoy the sites ahead of their family member(s) running in Sunday’s marathon. It’s a great vibe.

by Anonymousreply 172November 2, 2023 11:46 AM

During the pandemic the empty Midtown Manhattan streets were eerie and sad. But this year tourism appears to be back to pre-pandemic numbers. The last two weeks it's a nuisance trying to walk around with so many tourist around, and this is before the holiday spike, which is from Thanksgiving week to New Years week.

by Anonymousreply 173November 2, 2023 11:52 AM

So, R173, do what New Yorkers do to display welcome - stab them.

by Anonymousreply 174November 2, 2023 1:31 PM

Wow —that’s flyover quality humor. How about something actually funny, is that too much to ask?

From you I’d say yes.

by Anonymousreply 175November 2, 2023 1:52 PM

I've lived in NYC for 28 years. I love it. I live on a rather nice block in midtown and have not noticed any uptick in crime. No one's throwing up in front of my building. I also have a dog and she loves it here. She knows where she lives. Twice, while walking her, she has slipped out of her leash blocks away from home but there was nothing to worry about. She ran right home and waited for the doorman. No joke. No problems with aforementioned chicken wing bones. I also take the subway to and from work everyday and haven't witnessed any crime.

by Anonymousreply 176November 2, 2023 4:51 PM

I'd be more scared working as a teacher in Omaha or Little Rock.

by Anonymousreply 177November 2, 2023 4:53 PM

Oh I forgot to mention the marathon. It's a fun week in town. I've run it twice and will be cheering on a friend this year. It's a blast.

by Anonymousreply 178November 2, 2023 5:04 PM

and I don't know anyone who died from COVID and I never got sick, but I was still concerned, aware and cautious. R176

by Anonymousreply 179November 2, 2023 5:40 PM

R175. I guess truth hurts, but not as much as getting sucker-punched, stabbed, or shot.

by Anonymousreply 180November 2, 2023 5:47 PM

a sign of the times

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181November 2, 2023 5:57 PM

Getting ready for the 2023 marathon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182November 2, 2023 6:18 PM

much ado about nothing. it's saint louis, Memphis and Peoria that are rotting from the inside out

no one needs to worry about NYC

by Anonymousreply 183November 2, 2023 6:19 PM

[Quote] I'd be more scared working as a teacher in Omaha or Little Rock.

or being a high school student in NY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184November 2, 2023 6:22 PM

The Blackboard Jungle 2023

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185November 2, 2023 6:24 PM

Straphanger Shoved onto Tracks in Random NYC Subway Attack, Police Say

This is why my coworkers who take the subway to midtown feel unsafe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186November 2, 2023 6:27 PM

R176 is probably not an MTA worker

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187November 2, 2023 6:32 PM

Do you post this shit everywhere 24-7? Maybe YOU are the crime source.

by Anonymousreply 188November 2, 2023 7:31 PM

Not me R188 I swear!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189November 2, 2023 9:58 PM

Wasn't anywhere near Brooklyn. I have witnesses R188

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190November 2, 2023 10:00 PM

I work at 28th and Madison but no it's not me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191November 2, 2023 10:02 PM

Wasn't in NY on Sunday R188

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192November 2, 2023 10:04 PM

Zzzz zzzz

Get some rest, or help.

by Anonymousreply 193November 2, 2023 10:25 PM

Get 8 hours sleep R193 Thanks. You sound easily triggered. You must be a New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 194November 2, 2023 10:33 PM

I noticed the last two weeks that the tourist crowd numbers are what one normally sees during the holiday season. Can anyone help explain this phenomena?

by Anonymousreply 195November 3, 2023 12:11 AM

[quote]Do you post this shit everywhere 24-7? Maybe YOU are the crime source.

[quote]Get some rest, or help.

It's a poster known as FormerNewYorker, r188 and r193. Yes, he posts a LOT, mostly about crime in NYC. Lives in Weehawken, yearns for his youth in the East Village in the 80s-90s. Since he can't have that, he vilifies the NYC of today.

In some older threads, he has been known to post up to 40 posts back to back. Repetitive, full of childish insults. "Meth, methinks" is a common phrase. "You sound easily triggered. You must be a New Yorker" is another

No one ever posts NYC threads anymore, because he will rush to infest it. I haven't bothered, but if you ignoredar him, I'd bet that 50 to 30% of this thread is his. Possibly more. It's an obsession.

He used to be authenticated as brandonjoseph before he got redlined as a troll.

by Anonymousreply 196November 3, 2023 1:30 AM

Yep. Just checked.

Former New Yorker aka FNY aka Brandonjoseph has posted 114 times in this thread - well over half of it - and that isn't counting any other devices that he might be using.

It's an illness. Too bad. I'd love to post about goings on in NYC, but he makes it impossible.

He posts so often that blocking him slows scrolling down to a crawl - and I don't block posters anyway - so I just avoid NYC threads.

by Anonymousreply 197November 3, 2023 1:40 AM

[Quote] I noticed the last two weeks that the tourist crowd numbers are what one normally sees during the holiday season. Can anyone help explain this phenomena?

Maybe they were migrants, protestors people here for the marathon or commuters . . . How did you know they were tourists?

by Anonymousreply 198November 3, 2023 6:45 AM

Trust me, as a New Yorker, I know who is a tourist on sight 90% of the times.

by Anonymousreply 199November 3, 2023 11:48 AM

Sorry I don't trust New Yorkers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200November 3, 2023 4:28 PM

Another pedestrian killed by 2 vehicles. WTF!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201November 3, 2023 4:33 PM

I wonder how the creep knew they were lesbians?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202November 3, 2023 4:44 PM

City of hate!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203November 3, 2023 4:53 PM

r203 = loser

by Anonymousreply 204November 3, 2023 4:56 PM

(^.^) that term could apply to New Yorkers as the city is in decline and doesn't take care of its own

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205November 3, 2023 5:05 PM

New Yorkers here's the real problem. Consider yourself warned.

[Quote] He almost always shows up in NYC related threads, posting the most gruesome NY Post articles that he can find. Occasionally he will post about his youth in the East Village. He's also fond of childish insults, some of which will surely follow this post.

[Quote] Beware, r77. R83 is also FormerNewYorker. Know that before you go down that rabbit hole.

[Quote] He has now formally posted at least 50 out of 86 posts on this thread. If we all stop responding to him, he will probably revert to posting back to back crime posts to himself, as is his wont.

[Quote] It's a poster known as FormerNewYorker, r188 and r193. Yes, he posts a LOT, mostly about crime in NYC. Lives in Weehawken, yearns for his youth in the East Village in the 80s-90s. Since he can't have that, he vilifies the NYC of today.

[Quote] In some older threads, he has been known to post up to 40 posts back to back. Repetitive, full of childish insults. "Meth, methinks" is a common phrase. "You sound easily triggered. You must be a New Yorker" is another

[Quote] No one ever posts NYC threads anymore, because he will rush to infest it. I haven't bothered, but if you ignoredar him, I'd bet that 50 to 30% of this thread is his. Possibly more. It's an obsession.

[Quote] Former New Yorker aka FNY aka Brandonjoseph has posted 114 times in this thread - well over half of it - and that isn't counting any other devices that he might be using.

by Anonymousreply 206November 3, 2023 8:26 PM

Areas of the city still feel empty post Covid. Businesses that relied on commuters are hurting.

A researcher for the study suggested the societal shift to remote office work has caused a dramatic drop in foot traffic in Gotham’s business districts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207November 5, 2023 6:55 PM

The rise of vicious unprovoked attacks may also factor into the decrease of foot traffic in NY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208November 5, 2023 10:13 PM

All of the mentally ill need to be shipped to a deserted island. Survival of the craziest.

by Anonymousreply 209November 5, 2023 10:42 PM

(^.^) sounds like a good premise for a reality TV show.

by Anonymousreply 210November 5, 2023 11:18 PM

[quote]All of the mentally ill need to be shipped to a deserted island.

If that were done, how many people would be left in the city?

by Anonymousreply 211November 6, 2023 1:20 AM

Good news. They don't share the road or follow the rules of the road.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212November 6, 2023 10:21 PM

Death Wish 2023

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213November 8, 2023 5:07 PM

Good for bystander. Too bad he missed

by Anonymousreply 214November 9, 2023 3:45 AM

R179- First of all, two of my close friends died of COVID and I got COVID as well. The death per capita by COVID is a lot higher than death per capita in NYC which is very low.

R184- That was one kid slashing one other kid. The teacher wasn't harmed. There has never been a mass shooting at a school in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 215November 10, 2023 3:15 PM

I meant crime per capita in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 216November 10, 2023 3:16 PM

Quote] That was one kid slashing one other kid. The teacher wasn't harmed. There has never been a mass shooting at a school in NYC.

The man was randomly stabbed with the tool twice – in the head and face – while seated on a southbound 1 train around 9:40 p.m. at the 59th Street-Columbus Circle subway station, authorities said.

stay in school and avoid he subways, I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217November 10, 2023 4:23 PM

[Quote] First of all, two of my close friends died of COVID and I got COVID as well. The death per capita by COVID is a lot higher than death per capita in NYC which is very low.

Nonetheless take caution when walking as hit and runs abound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218November 10, 2023 4:29 PM

I ride from and to the 59th Street-Columbus station every single day and haven't even witnessed anything like this. Not scared to ride the subway at all.

by Anonymousreply 219November 10, 2023 4:32 PM

[Quote] That was one kid slashing one other kid. The teacher wasn't harmed. There has never been a mass shooting at a school in NYC.

In a New York minute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220November 10, 2023 4:33 PM

My theory is that you have to act crazier than the crazies, and then they'll leave you alone.

by Anonymousreply 221November 10, 2023 4:34 PM

[Quote] I ride from and to the 59th Street-Columbus station every single day and haven't even witnessed anything like this. Not scared to ride the subway at all.

and I never got Covid but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. What's your point? It only happens to others?

by Anonymousreply 222November 10, 2023 4:36 PM

Maybe I do, r221.

by Anonymousreply 223November 10, 2023 4:36 PM

r218- Do they? How many people out of the 8-10 million people in NYC at any given time get hit? Seems VERY rare to me.

by Anonymousreply 224November 10, 2023 4:38 PM

The vigilante arrested for opening fire during a robbery attempt in a Manhattan subway station yelled “Get away from her!” at the would-be mugger — just before he pulled a pistol from his backpack and sent a couple rounds flying down the platform, sources said Thursday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225November 10, 2023 4:41 PM

[Quote] Seems VERY rare to me.

Define 'very rare'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226November 10, 2023 4:45 PM

You're talking to the obsessed FormerNewYorker, r224. Posting crime stats is most of what he does. He has posted 130 times in this thread.

Well over half of the thread.

You won't get any reasonable conversation out of him.

by Anonymousreply 227November 10, 2023 4:49 PM

[Quote] First of all, two of my close friends died of COVID and I got COVID as well.

I don't know anyone who died from Covid so I guess it's rare.

by Anonymousreply 228November 10, 2023 4:50 PM

Another vehicular fatality in Manhattan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229November 10, 2023 8:55 PM

The electric scooters and mopeds in NY have grown out of control these last 5 or so years. I don't know if the accident was the SUV's fault of the teen's fault, but they have become a serious hazard. When I walk on the sidewalk or cross the street my biggest concern for my safety isn't cars, it's scooters and mopeds.

by Anonymousreply 230November 10, 2023 9:19 PM

(^.^) See R212 What are the rules of the road for scooters, mopeds and bikes? It's not at all clear.

by Anonymousreply 231November 10, 2023 9:57 PM

Welcome to Manhattan's newest neighborhood Manhattan West.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232November 11, 2023 5:00 AM

R232 I find that location totally soul sucking.

by Anonymousreply 233November 11, 2023 1:32 PM

it's actually a good location situated between 9th and 10th Avenue one block west of Penn Station and Madison Square Garden and just north of Chelsea. It's much more conveniently located than Hudson Yards which is further west and not near anything.

by Anonymousreply 234November 11, 2023 5:16 PM

Manhattan's first beech:

Gansevoort Peninsula, a 5.5-acre park between Gansevoort Street and Little West 12th Street in the Meatpacking District, opened last month. It's a public beach, sports field, an ecological salt marsh, a dog run, a boardwalk, manicured lawns and a beachfront landing for non-motorized boats. The project took about two years and cost $73 million.

Gansevoort Peninsula in the Meatpacking District of Manhattan has been transformed from a landfill into a 5.5-acre park, complete with a sports field, a salt marsh, a dog run, a boardwalk, manicured lawns, and Manhattan's first public beach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235November 28, 2023 9:35 PM

beach (^.^)

by Anonymousreply 236November 28, 2023 9:36 PM

It’s not a new neighborhood numnut. It’s just a different developer—i.e., not Related. It is contiguous to Hudson Yards. You people believe anything from some dumb PR story.

by Anonymousreply 237November 28, 2023 9:46 PM

of course, it's not a new neighborhood; it's a new development situated behind the post office. I remember when it was largely a parking lot at 33rd and 9th Who said it was a new neighborhood R237

by Anonymousreply 238November 29, 2023 3:08 AM

Why so angry R237?

by Anonymousreply 239November 29, 2023 3:12 AM

Nothing new about subway violence

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240November 29, 2023 3:27 AM

R238 see R232 👀

by Anonymousreply 241November 29, 2023 3:35 AM

[Quote] There’s been a marked increase of Citi Bike and e-scooter collisions since 2006 when, incidentally, Citi Bikes and e-scooters didn’t exist.

R136 you didn't read my post correctly. I used 2006 as a timeline of when I lived in NY not as a timeline for the increase in collisions.

[Quote] My colleagues who travel to work by subway are concerned and say they feel unsafe which is understandable since random unprovoked attacks have become so common. When I lived in NY (88-2006] I would take the subway at night to Brooklyn to see my friends or go to BAM but I wouldn't do that now. There also seems to be an increase in vehicular accidents involving pedestrians and there are so many more Citi bikes, E-bikes and scooters on the streets that never yield to pedestrians.

by Anonymousreply 242December 3, 2023 10:48 PM

What a pussy R242 the sud way? At night! I might die—

by Anonymousreply 243December 3, 2023 11:05 PM

Not just at night

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244December 3, 2023 11:19 PM

those bikes will get you one way or another

As of Nov. 20, the city Fire Department had recorded 243 fires, 124 injuries and 17 deaths so far this year related to the highly flammable lithium-ion batteries, the Daily News previously reported.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245December 4, 2023 5:24 AM

Ban all bicycles. Bicyclists are assholes.

by Anonymousreply 246December 4, 2023 7:34 AM

Teens are frequently victims

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247December 17, 2023 3:22 AM

- A 14-year-old boy was stabbed in the neck on a busy Bronx street corner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248December 17, 2023 3:24 AM

13-year-old dragged by car

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249December 17, 2023 3:26 AM

Two teen boys were hurt in stabbings in the Big Apple Friday — with one attacked during a violent Staten Island robbery and the other knifed twice in Queens, authorities said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250December 17, 2023 3:29 AM

A teenager was shot multiple times in a broad-daylight Bronx attack Monday – one of at least three bursts of gun violence in the span of 15 hours in the Big Apple, authorities said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251December 17, 2023 3:35 AM

Deliberately caused fires in the subway system, some reports claim this was by pro-H demonstrators. Happened on Christmas Eve in Brooklyn.

E bike batteries are very flammable, throwing them on the 3rd rail is something I hope does not become a thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252December 25, 2023 9:29 PM

Defacto is proving he knows how to google. Meanwhile NYC continues to be the safest large city in the country.

And meanwhile Defacto’s own hometown Pittsburgh still has a crime rate comparable to Chicago — the rates between the two are almost identical — see ranking below.

But Defacto, perma-lying rightwinger (and indeed is there any other kind?) is posting links to suggest otherwise. But the facts don’t lie. New York is barely even on the list, ranked 96 out of 100. Pittsburgh? 62. 😱

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253December 25, 2023 9:41 PM

but is it safe, safe?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254December 26, 2023 6:36 PM

Those nutjobs on the trains could be just like him.

by Anonymousreply 255December 27, 2023 1:42 AM

The suspect is known to both MTA police and NYPD as an emotionally disturbed person with 17 prior arrests.

Hutcherson was arrested twice in the last six months. The latest arrest came just last month after Hutcherson threatened someone with a knife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256December 27, 2023 3:12 AM

[Quote] Those nutjobs on the trains could be just like him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257December 27, 2023 6:42 PM

[Quote] Those nutjobs on the trains could be just like him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258December 27, 2023 6:48 PM

Gives new meaning to 'drive by'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259December 27, 2023 7:01 PM

The demographics are changing rapidly

More than 7,000 asylum seekers have arrived in New York City in last 2 weeks, mayor's office says

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260December 28, 2023 8:10 AM

2024 gets off to an inauspicious start

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261January 2, 2024 2:50 PM

2024 same old same old

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262January 2, 2024 2:53 PM

after the ball drops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263January 2, 2024 2:55 PM

more bad news for The Color Purple

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264January 2, 2024 2:57 PM

not such a Happy New Year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265January 2, 2024 2:58 PM

Rent!?! Are we children?

by Anonymousreply 266January 2, 2024 4:16 PM

Shaky start to the New Year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267January 2, 2024 8:47 PM

1.7 is close to nothing as far as earthquakes go.

by Anonymousreply 268January 2, 2024 11:44 PM

but on Roosevelt Island where the buildings are not built to seismic or earthquake code it was strongly felt and as the saying goes "Earthquakes don't kill people-buildings do" Residents said it felt like a series of small explosions and was felt from Astoria to Roosevelt Island. 911 calls flooded dispatchers with reports of a boom and buildings rocking. A resident of Roosevelt Island said it was so strong that her husband fell out of bed.

by Anonymousreply 269January 3, 2024 12:13 AM

Police say a 29-year-old man was stabbed in the neck on a subway platform in the Bronx on New Year's Day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270January 3, 2024 12:39 AM

This is wild

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271January 10, 2024 1:08 AM

[quote] Post Pandemic comparisons. Rent, entertainment, tourists?

Lived in NYC for twenty years now. I've been in a rent- stabilized decent apartment in a multi-unit building in Astoria for the last ten years, so my rent has not increased much more than a few percentage points the last few years. That said every day I see another building being demolished. They're mostly older decrepit standalone houses and are being replaced by these awful ugly monstrosities that look like Soviet prisons. They are all luxury housing but no one seems to be moving in. They are insanely expensive and cheaply built. If I left my current apartment I think I would have a very hard time finding something comparable.

Entertainment... some gay bars have kinda come back, but a lot of people got used to not going out so much during the pandemic and the scenes have changed A LOT. When I first moved to NYC if it was a weekend you HAD to go to some club in Manhattan, but nowadays all of those Manhattan megaclubs are gone and the scene has moved more to the boroughs. Other entertainment... every theater die-hard that I knew (including myself) goes less. It's a combination of pricing and a general shittieness of the offerings.

Tourists, they're still here I guess. I don't know why they come, they could green screen their social media posts from the comfort of their living room.

It's not as much of a danger zone as the media would like you to believe, but there's less people going into offices and going out and the homeless are more aggressive and less hidden. Also independent of NYC it does seem like everyone went a little insane during the pandemic.

There's A LOT empty storefronts and it seems very lazy of our supposedly progressive politicians to keep colluding with the real estate industry to pretend that these storefronts (and office towers) are ever going to come back. In my midtown office building only two lunch spots survived the pandemic. The rest are entirely empty though there are about a dozen food trucks that line up on 6th avenue. It seems insane to me that all these storefronts are empty and someone would rather make fish and chips in a truck but they can't afford the rent and the real estate lobby has made it more profitable to have empty stock than to be reasonable.

There's a ton of chain stores which is something that I fucking hate. NYC used to be all about one-of-a-kind stores and experiences but now blocks look like the food court at a suburban mall.

by Anonymousreply 272January 10, 2024 1:36 AM

…the real estate lobby has made it more profitable to have empty stock than to be reasonable.

^^ that part is just incorrect—woefully inadequate explanation.

by Anonymousreply 273January 10, 2024 2:00 AM

If you say so, without any explanation, than it has to be true R273.

by Anonymousreply 274January 10, 2024 2:09 AM

The other week someone asked me for money in the subway station. Not a homeless person, just a younger guy (late teens maybe?). When I told him that I don't carry cash, he asked if I had CashApp on my phone to send him something that way. First time that's happened to me.

by Anonymousreply 275January 10, 2024 2:15 AM

R274 lame projection. You made the initial assertion without any reference or citation whatsoever. What did these lobbyists do to keep storefronts empty? Where’s your beef?

by Anonymousreply 276January 10, 2024 2:41 AM

RATS!

"Some people say it takes a decade in New York City to become a real New Yorker, but I think it takes accidentally kicking a rat while going about your daily business. Please clap — I have done this twice."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277January 10, 2024 4:54 AM

and more rats!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278January 10, 2024 4:58 AM

ANy cruising in the various parks like Central, Fort Tryon and Prospect? I dropped so much cum in those places...

by Anonymousreply 279January 10, 2024 5:02 AM

R272 Astoria Queens is basically a Plan B version of Williamsburg Brooklyn. Yuppies who have trouble affording Manhattan find it convenient and trendy. The only real sustainable business are the restaurants. Hipsters go there for all the eateries. Most of the construction is by real estate investment LLCs who buy 1-3 family homes, demolish them, replace it with ugly inferior built 6-12 unit multi level buildings. Rents for single bedroom begin at $2,500. Long term residents don't recognize their own neighborhood.

R273 NY State laws allow real estate owners to but vacant stores and a offices down as a loss to unrealized profits and get tax deductions for it. There is a proposed bill still kicking around in the state senate that will impose a commercial vacancy tax for empty units in populated locations, which would effectively negate the tax deduction.

by Anonymousreply 280January 10, 2024 11:39 AM

Still more rats!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281January 10, 2024 5:40 PM

R280 there is no tax benefit derived from vacant commercial space, other than reduced income results in lower taxes. You can try to get a property tax assessment lowered based on diminution of value, but that won’t offset the economic loss.

Note that, unless the lease has expired or the tenant has filed bankruptcy and rejected the lease, rent is still due and owing even if the space is not open for business.

The federal tax regs for depreciation of assets, including real estate, are a separate issue altogether.

by Anonymousreply 282January 10, 2024 5:51 PM

Off on the wrong track for 2024

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283January 11, 2024 5:58 PM

Sinking Ship?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284January 15, 2024 3:54 AM

Believe it or not the weight of all the massive buildings in concentrated areas are a contributing factor.

by Anonymousreply 285January 15, 2024 11:34 AM

The numbers the trolls want to ignore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286January 15, 2024 12:40 PM

There are other crimes other than murders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287January 15, 2024 1:05 PM

Defacto doubling down when schooled shows what children rightwingers are. (It’s not “the trolls,” by the way, it’s one balloon-snouted specimen with a Breitbart agenda.)

Despite his becoming the police blotter for nyc, the numbers at r253 don’t lie. All the most dangerous cities in America are flyover cities like his native Pittsburgh. NYC is 96 out of 100, barely on the list at all.

by Anonymousreply 288January 15, 2024 1:28 PM

That's comforting R288

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289January 15, 2024 7:07 PM

There are other crimes other than murders.

and so many vehicular homicides, and hit and runs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290January 15, 2024 7:11 PM

Lol, r289, it's really too bad that you couldn't make it in the big city, but do get over it.

by Anonymousreply 291January 15, 2024 7:13 PM

So many vehicular mishaps. The streets are so dangerous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292January 15, 2024 7:15 PM

Oooh, scary, r292...you best stay away.

by Anonymousreply 293January 15, 2024 7:18 PM

Wrong-way driver injures 7 pedestrians, 1 officer in New York City

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294January 15, 2024 7:20 PM

R293 as so many are!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295January 15, 2024 7:24 PM

[Quote] There are other crimes other than murders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296January 15, 2024 7:33 PM

Seek professional help, r296. Better yet, do something productive with your life.

by Anonymousreply 297January 15, 2024 7:39 PM

R297 why so triggered Pete Repete? What are you doing here that's so productive? You'll be missed . . .

by Anonymousreply 298January 15, 2024 7:49 PM

[quote]Pete Repete?

*That's* rich coming from you.

by Anonymousreply 299January 15, 2024 7:52 PM

This thread is beyond stupid. The crime in NYC comes and goes in various waves and levels for over 200 years. You can go back year after year, decade after decade, and see comparable incidents on an almost daily basis. This is life in the big city.

by Anonymousreply 300January 15, 2024 8:42 PM

I don't remember a decade or so ago there being as many incidents on a 'daily basis'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301January 15, 2024 9:28 PM

[quote]I don't remember a decade or so ago there being as many incidents on a 'daily basis'

That's because you weren't trolling and spastically linking on DL, r301.

by Anonymousreply 302January 15, 2024 11:30 PM

^^

by Anonymousreply 303January 15, 2024 11:32 PM

Make mine a double!

Witnesses say a yellow SUV, possibly a taxi, hit one person pushing a stroller - and then sped away and hit another person, also hitting that stroller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304January 16, 2024 2:06 AM

Real New Yorkers know not to get involved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305January 16, 2024 12:19 PM

Shootings may be down, but knives are the preferred weapon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306January 16, 2024 4:15 PM

Random, unprovoked violent assaults are up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307January 16, 2024 4:32 PM

police officers are leaving in droves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308January 16, 2024 9:01 PM

The police are targeted

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309January 16, 2024 9:03 PM

The bad cops in the NYPD are very much a minority, however, the good cops are turning a blind eye and/or are silent, giving all of law enforcement a very bad image.

by Anonymousreply 310January 16, 2024 9:19 PM

Many are leaving for better pay in safer surroundings

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311January 16, 2024 10:04 PM

[Quote] it's really too bad that you couldn't make it in the big city, but do get over it.

does that apply to the police as well

by Anonymousreply 312January 16, 2024 10:23 PM

Knives out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313January 17, 2024 5:21 PM

Shootings may be down . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314January 17, 2024 5:22 PM

Any wonder why police officers are leaving the NYPD!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315January 18, 2024 2:35 AM

Even the rats are leaving!

Rat sighting complaints in the city’s “rat mitigation zones” last year decreased by 20%, according to Adams’ office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316January 18, 2024 6:16 AM

[quote]Rat sighting complaints in the city’s “rat mitigation zones” last year decreased by 20%, according to Adams’ office.

Where did they go? The rat choir explains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317January 18, 2024 9:31 PM

In a NY minute

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318January 19, 2024 1:50 AM

Immigration is an issue that everyone feels deeply, no matter which side of the political spectrum you fall on. The mainstream media reports on the border crisis constantly, and the newest story on overflowing immigration only makes it more clear exactly how dire the situation really is.

Communities are becoming outraged.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319January 19, 2024 2:00 AM

the attitude of some people!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320January 20, 2024 12:05 AM

Run over a regular citizen, you get off with a warning. Run over a police officer, you are going to get time.

by Anonymousreply 321January 20, 2024 1:29 AM

she'd get more than a warning; she was driving the wrong way for starters

by Anonymousreply 322January 20, 2024 8:04 AM

Unfortunately most NYPD cops go out of the way to avoid paperwork.

by Anonymousreply 323January 20, 2024 3:42 PM

Perhaps because of revolving door justice with the perps right back on the street.

The man has been arrested at least a dozen times before, the latest being in November for criminal possession of a weapon for carrying a knife, according to a law enforcement source.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324January 20, 2024 6:24 PM

The big crapple!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325January 20, 2024 8:03 PM

If they don't have an available place to pee and poop, where are they going to go? They should place a few port-a-potties there.

by Anonymousreply 326January 21, 2024 1:18 PM

Don't piss people off

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327January 22, 2024 7:56 PM

The mayor, during a press conference with Police Commissioner Edward Caban, railed against the “How Many Stops Act,” claiming again that it will mire cops in extra paperwork and drive up overtime.

[Quote] Unfortunately most NYPD cops go out of the way to avoid paperwork.

they're going to need stenographers R323

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328January 22, 2024 8:02 PM

Another officer attacked responding to 911 call.

NYPD officers responded to a 911 call of an emotionally disturbed person inside an apartment located at 1151 New York Ave. in Flatbush just before 3:30 p.m. When officers were inside the apartment speaking with family, a sergeant was slashed to the right side of the head with a machete.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329January 22, 2024 11:35 PM

Slashing seems to be a new pastime in New York.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330January 23, 2024 6:59 PM

New Yorkers are screwed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331January 25, 2024 2:39 AM

R331 Nicotine is a hell of a drug.

by Anonymousreply 332January 25, 2024 11:50 AM

NY and national candidates need to run on bringing back mental institutions. They will create jobs. They’ll serve the underserved. They’ll house the unhoused. They’ll provide job training. They’ll be funded by BIG PHARMA!

by Anonymousreply 333January 25, 2024 1:24 PM

[quote]NY and national candidates need to run on bringing back mental institutions. They will create jobs. They’ll serve the underserved. They’ll house the unhoused. They’ll provide job training. They’ll be funded by BIG PHARMA!

And they will provide housing for politicians.

by Anonymousreply 334January 25, 2024 1:30 PM

R332 should switch to vapes. No one bums vapes, do they?

by Anonymousreply 335January 25, 2024 5:09 PM

The US went from being overly dependent on mental institutions, and often committing people improperly, to the other extreme of not institutionalizing those who desperately need it.

by Anonymousreply 336January 25, 2024 6:23 PM

It's a shit hole that gets worse by the day. Stay away. Spend your vacation money elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 337January 25, 2024 11:36 PM

R337 = NYC Director of Tourism

by Anonymousreply 338January 26, 2024 1:11 AM

NYC Director of Tourism=Director of migrant busses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339January 26, 2024 1:36 AM

I just found out that two former co workers and a friend I lost touch with a few years ago all moved far away from NYC. I'm just adding them to the list. The very long list.

by Anonymousreply 340January 26, 2024 2:15 AM

The hotel business is booming

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341February 3, 2024 1:59 AM

NYC inks another set of emergency hotel contracts to house migrants — at $137M price tag

Good for business but not necessarily tourism

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342February 3, 2024 2:11 AM

[quote] New York City - What is it like in 2023

It’s a whole lot better than that shit show on the west coast - San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 343February 3, 2024 2:49 AM

but essentially, it's becoming San Fran East

by Anonymousreply 344February 3, 2024 3:11 AM

Crime wave: here are the top U.S. cities where shoplifting has jumped

Biggest increases in shoplifting (from midyear 2019 to midyear 2023):

New York: increase in incidents by 64% Los Angeles: increase in incidents by 61% Virginia Beach, Va.: increase in incidents by 44% Dallas: increase in incidents by 20%

by Anonymousreply 345February 3, 2024 5:37 AM

NYC spent almost $2.5B providing welfare checks to over 720K residents – the most it’s paid out in over a decade

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346February 3, 2024 7:31 PM

The inmates and the migrants have taken over in 2024

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347February 5, 2024 11:21 PM

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free/the wretched refuse of your teeming shore

Let's strike that last part

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348February 11, 2024 6:03 AM

Subway violence is at a 25 year high.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349February 19, 2024 11:46 PM

[quote]r12 Many streets and neighborhoods feel MT

#MeToo ?

by Anonymousreply 350February 19, 2024 11:56 PM

This made me sick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351February 20, 2024 12:14 AM

The daily news

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352February 20, 2024 5:48 PM

An increase in robberies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353February 20, 2024 5:52 PM

Are all criminals in NYC black/brown, or just the ones in the Post?

by Anonymousreply 354February 20, 2024 6:03 PM

the answer is as easy as ABC R354

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355February 20, 2024 11:12 PM

The 'D' train

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356February 23, 2024 6:27 PM

Back to the 70s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357February 24, 2024 5:14 AM

we will look back on 2023 as one of the golden years in NYC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358March 3, 2024 1:58 AM

A sign of the times

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359March 5, 2024 9:39 PM

Police presence in the actual subway system will make a big difference. Even before the pandemic began the NYPD or transit police all but abandoned the subway, making it a free for all for criminal element, homeless people and the mentally unstable. The only place I would see police at times was at the entrances of major hubs. How about being on the platforms or even on trains?

by Anonymousreply 360March 6, 2024 1:36 AM

Hochul's calling in the troops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361March 6, 2024 6:33 PM

The hard truth is that "stop and frisk" was a huge benefit to the city, at the expense of the pride of black and latino citizens.

by Anonymousreply 362March 6, 2024 7:46 PM

There is a world of difference from eliminating the stop and frisk policy and actually arresting, booking, and prosecuting those who actually break laws, especially those who are repeat offenders.

by Anonymousreply 363March 6, 2024 9:55 PM

more cops and the National Guard needed right away!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364March 6, 2024 11:54 PM

Will the National Guard be confiscating bottles?

by Anonymousreply 365March 8, 2024 1:20 AM

New York government and, the attorney generals and law enforcement have been ignoring crime, the homeless and the mentally ill in the subway system for years now, and they feel the bets way to address it is to bring in outside assistant to try to put a band-aid on the void they created. There is zero presence in the subways and the perps know it's basically a free for all down there.

by Anonymousreply 366March 8, 2024 1:25 AM

Still dangerous for Asians

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367March 8, 2024 11:59 PM

Despite the National Guard the subways are still dangerous and perhaps especially for those who work for the MTA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368March 17, 2024 12:03 AM

This used to be my playground

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369March 17, 2024 12:12 AM

I was in The Ramble the other night and there were *two* straight couples. I have never seen women in The Ramble after dark. Is someone advertising that straight people can watch gays have sex?

by Anonymousreply 370March 17, 2024 12:19 AM

were they women, women R370?

by Anonymousreply 371March 17, 2024 12:20 AM

R371, yes! They seemed to be there only to watch which I can’t figure out. And they seemed to know the areas where the guys would be playing.

by Anonymousreply 372March 17, 2024 12:28 AM

R372 Maybe along with The Vessel, the High Line and Little Island Park it's become a tourist attraction. Women wanting to watch man-man sex is nothing new btw. Women visited the Anvil and sometimes attempted to get into male sex parties/clubs. And the Ramble is an open public space so they can't be thrown out or denied admission

by Anonymousreply 373March 17, 2024 12:53 AM

I regularly see gangs of teens hanging out with drinking alcohol and smoking. Cops are never around. A police presence would be a deterrent to the loitering groups of teens, but I guess donut runs are more important.

by Anonymousreply 374March 17, 2024 1:25 AM

Or, perhaps R374, there are not enough................

[quote]The NYPD’s force will be reduced to just 29,000 cops by the end of fiscal year 2025 — the lowest level since the mid-90s — amid a slew of city-wide budget cuts revealed by Mayor Eric Adams Thursday as the Big Apple grapples with its multi-billion-dollar migrant crisis.

[quote]Under City Hall’s newly unveiled updated 2024 financial plan, the next five police academy classes will be axed — essentially decimating an already strained department as roughly 4,500 officers are expected to leave their ranks within the next 18 months.

by Anonymousreply 375March 17, 2024 2:17 AM

Why stay in NY when you can go to safer places with higher pay and probably more respect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376March 17, 2024 2:36 AM

Brooklyn's district attorney will not pursue charges against man in fatal New York City subway shooting, citing self-defense

The incident occurred during rush hour on a northbound A train in Brooklyn, where two men engaged in a physical altercation that escalated to one man pulling out a gun.

Passengers on the subway witnessed the violent confrontation, with some attempting to intervene and others shouting warnings as the situation unfolded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377March 17, 2024 3:51 AM

Knives out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378March 17, 2024 6:58 PM

The good news: shootings are down

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379March 17, 2024 7:01 PM

It's still the safest big city in the United States

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380March 19, 2024 5:36 AM

[Quote] I commute to work by subway daily. I see police on the platforms very often (this is in Manhattan below 125th street though). I feel safe commuting by subway. I wouldn’t take the subway after 10pm though.

yet I can't remember the last time cops were on the scene to arrest the perp

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381March 19, 2024 6:36 AM

It's still the safest big city in America

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382March 19, 2024 6:46 AM

(^.^) she's not alone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383March 19, 2024 11:12 PM

[quote]Only half of New Yorkers plan to stay in the city, according to the survey of more than 6,600 New York City households conducted in the second half of 2023 by the nonpartisan Citizens Budget Commission

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384March 20, 2024 12:26 AM

R184. Yes— 1/2 the City— 4,400,000 city dwellers are forming a mass brigade to march south to the Carolinas, Georgia and Fla.

by Anonymousreply 385March 20, 2024 12:38 AM

For^ R384

by Anonymousreply 386March 20, 2024 12:39 AM

R383 I won't even justify clicking on that link. The New York Post became a rag of yellow journalism since the Murdochs bought it around 40 years ago. It has just devolved further each year into lowest common denominator garbage and prints blatant hit pieces on anybody or anything that doesn't fit comfortably with the right wing propaganda you see on Fox.

by Anonymousreply 387March 20, 2024 1:28 AM

R184 Just half of all New Yorkers plan to stay in the city over the next five years, and anger over quality of life has skyrocketed since the pandemic — with just 30% saying they’re happy here, according to a damning poll from the The Citizens Budget Commission.

[Quote] —There just like migrants coming thru Mexico

Not exactly. They are most likely citizens who may be retiring or have jobs and can work remotely while living in an environment that is quieter, safer, cleaner, less crowded and more economical.

by Anonymousreply 388March 20, 2024 1:32 AM

^^^ was responding to R385

by Anonymousreply 389March 20, 2024 1:34 AM

People are understandably afraid, and the Governor has called in the National Guard!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390March 20, 2024 1:40 AM

I will be visiting NYC for a long week (about 9 days in April). First time visiting the city. I'm from the UK. I'm a little apprehensive about the crime stories, but more interested in discovering places to eat, cool live music venues, best places for lesbian watching. Any tips?

by Anonymousreply 391March 20, 2024 1:46 AM

R387 Same basic report different messenger

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392March 20, 2024 1:47 AM

R391 Google is your friend!

by Anonymousreply 393March 20, 2024 1:52 AM

The NYPD and the Transit Police had totally abandoned the subway system even before the pandemic hit, creating a vacuum, and allowing for the homeless, the mentally ill, and the criminal element to basically run amok with impunity. I see whatever policy they adopted as a dereliction of duty. Calling in the National Guard to do the job they won't do.

by Anonymousreply 394March 20, 2024 1:54 AM

Not the same as talking to locals, r393.

by Anonymousreply 395March 20, 2024 1:55 AM

you could be more specific R395 What do you plan to do in NY? What are your interests and what is your budget? Many sites provide up to the minute information and often have reviews from consumers on clubs, theater, hotels, restaurants, museums . . .

by Anonymousreply 396March 20, 2024 2:11 AM

Staying for around 9 days in Midtown Manhattan, with girlfriend. We'll be doing the general touristy things, so sticking to that central area, but we've never been before and so I can't really get a picture of anything in my mind.

Budget is maybe $200 a day each, it can stretch to a bit more if necessary. I'd like to find out about some reasonably priced places to eat. Everything I've come across so far seems to be either a diner-type pizzeria or a 2-star Michelin restaurant.

I've looked at sites for live music, but it gets a bit overwhelming when you're not familiar with the city or the places. Jazz or rock.

I would like to visit Ellis Island but can't quite work out the ferry company website. I guess I could ask at the hotel.

by Anonymousreply 397March 20, 2024 2:28 AM

Also, good places to shop for clothes.

by Anonymousreply 398March 20, 2024 2:30 AM

R398 Barney's, Macy's and Bloomingdale's flagship stores. Vintage clothing in the East Village and of course exclusive stores on Madison Avenue and chains such as Urban Outfitters. Too many to list but again the internet has all the latest.

by Anonymousreply 399March 20, 2024 2:43 AM

Barneys closed shop years ago.

by Anonymousreply 400March 20, 2024 3:12 AM

and I suspect many others will be closing shop

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401March 20, 2024 1:57 PM

Thanks, r399!

by Anonymousreply 402March 20, 2024 2:18 PM

City on Fire!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403March 20, 2024 8:08 PM

R402 Clueless Brit if you are going to be in NY for 9 days in Midtown besides the Broadway theaters there are plenty of restaurants in Midtown West (Times Square/Hell's Kitchen). Walk around 8th, 9th and 10th Avenues in the 40s.

by Anonymousreply 404March 20, 2024 8:22 PM

R398, Century 21 is a decent place for marked down brand name clothing.

A fun thing to do might be to take the ferry from Pier 11 to Rockaway, Queens and visit the beach. Lots of great restaurants out there. The ferry is the same price as the subway.

by Anonymousreply 405March 20, 2024 8:33 PM

R397 offers tips and suggestions most locals don't know about

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406March 20, 2024 9:22 PM

Thanks r404, I've just been discovering some great-looking, reasonably priced restaurants in Hells Kitchen/Times Square on one of the apps mentioned in the video r406 linked to! The zip code tip on the metro is also very useful.

That does sound fun, r405, and gives us an opportunity to see another part of the city.

Thanks guys, I'm starting to get very excited!

by Anonymousreply 407March 20, 2024 10:58 PM

R407 you might like Coney Island. It's more accessible and has more to do than Rockaway Beach. You can get there on the D F N Q subway lines from midtown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408March 20, 2024 11:44 PM

R399 copied that text from his old Fodor’s guide.

It made me laugh….

by Anonymousreply 409March 21, 2024 1:27 AM

^ I loved the "...and of course exclusive stores on Madison Avenue" directed to someone with a budget of $200 a day.

by Anonymousreply 410March 21, 2024 1:38 AM

Avoid Bodegas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411March 21, 2024 1:44 AM

and the Bronx

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412March 21, 2024 2:12 AM

Thanks r408, Coney island sounds easy to get too. It's all gonna be fun!

by Anonymousreply 413March 21, 2024 6:02 PM

R408 Luna Park in Coney Island opens this month. A couple of the subway lines have Coney Island as their final stop. Weekdays are best as it is less crowded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414March 21, 2024 7:04 PM

R413 ⬆️⬆️⬆️ Sounds like you may already have a hotel if not this moderately-priced Hotel has a great location near Times Square, the theater district, the subway and lots of restaurants. It's relatively new and I used to pass it when I worked in Midtown. So much is right there and it's new!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415March 21, 2024 8:22 PM

Yes, we have a hotel but that one looks fun too and with a great view!

by Anonymousreply 416March 22, 2024 12:00 AM

This is our hotel. Looks lesbian-friendly from the promotional video - two women hooking up at the hotel, one leaves after a hot sesh, turns and gives a wry smile as the other gazes dreamily out over the city?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417March 22, 2024 12:16 AM

R417 Nice You'll be near Grand Central Station, Bryant Park and The NY Library. Relatively quiet area particularly at night. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 418March 22, 2024 1:20 AM

Thanks r418, I'm glad to know it's a little quieter!

by Anonymousreply 419March 22, 2024 11:14 AM

I wonder when if the presence of the National Guard will make a difference?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420March 26, 2024 3:10 AM

when and if ^^^

by Anonymousreply 421March 26, 2024 3:11 AM

[quote]"This is 800 cops - 800 cops being surged into this system over the next five days

799 which are deployed to Times Square to take pictures with the tourists.

by Anonymousreply 422March 26, 2024 3:22 AM

Cops basically stand at the entrance of some of the major hub stations. They are rarely on the platforms or on the actual trains.

by Anonymousreply 423March 26, 2024 12:45 PM

I live in Manhattan and I’ve yet to see any national guard.

by Anonymousreply 424March 26, 2024 2:48 PM

Person gets pushed onto subway tracks and is killed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425March 26, 2024 6:29 PM

'It's the safest big city in America"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426March 27, 2024 12:11 AM

The suspect

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427March 27, 2024 12:17 AM

R426 I do not understand NYC AG's irresponsibility in not prosecuting repeat criminals. How is that making communities safer and protecting police officers? Who wins here?

by Anonymousreply 428March 27, 2024 12:17 AM

[quote]I do not understand NYC AG's irresponsibility in not prosecuting repeat criminals.

Think harder...

by Anonymousreply 429March 27, 2024 12:19 AM

R429

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430March 27, 2024 12:21 AM

New York City women warn each other to stay alert after multiple people report getting ‘punched in the face

On Tuesday 19 March at around 8pm, comedian Sarah Suzuki Harvard was walking alone on Delancey Street in lower Manhattan when she was attacked by a man from behind. He punched her in the back of her skull, but when she turned around, the assailant had already begun running away.

Since then, the 30-year-old Lower East Side resident has experienced headaches, nausea, dizziness, blurred vision, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress. While she didn’t initially file a police report after the attack, Harvard said that seeing viral videos from multiple women detailing similar assaults has now inspired her to report the incident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431March 27, 2024 12:35 AM

[quote]On Tuesday 19 March at around 8pm, comedian Sarah Suzuki Harvard was walking alone on Delancey Street in lower Manhattan when she was attacked by a man from behind.

That man was sent by Sally Sweet, the Queen of Delancey Street. She doesn’t put up with anyone on her patch trying to attract the attention of Cuban Pete.

If I were one Sarah S. Harvard, I’d get out of town while the gettin’s good.

by Anonymousreply 432March 27, 2024 2:09 AM

Weapon of choice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433March 27, 2024 9:17 PM

knives out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434March 27, 2024 9:18 PM

is gun control really the answer?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435March 27, 2024 9:20 PM

It's the safest big city in America

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436March 27, 2024 9:23 PM

Man arrested after multiple women say they were punched in face while walking on NYC streets.

Police on Wednesday arrested a man on an assault charge following a recent string of unprovoked attacks reported by women across New York City in which they said a stranger approached them and punched them in the head or face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437March 28, 2024 7:59 AM

It's the safest big city in America

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438March 28, 2024 9:55 PM

This city is not out of control

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439March 29, 2024 8:51 AM

It's probably just one guy punching women. And he was arrested, see R437.

by Anonymousreply 440March 29, 2024 12:28 PM

It's the " He-Man Woman Haters Club" R440.

by Anonymousreply 441March 29, 2024 2:23 PM

OP and wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442March 29, 2024 3:07 PM

Is this the best place to ask how much cash a first-time visitor to NYC should carry on her?

by Anonymousreply 443March 29, 2024 4:23 PM

R440 isn't it symptomatic of all the crazy people wandering around the city attacking people at random and the catch and release policy and the reason the subways have become so dangerous that the governor has called in the National Guard. The man arrested had previously been arrested 3 times in the past 6 months for similar crimes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444March 29, 2024 5:33 PM

[Quote] It's probably just one guy punching women. And he was arrested

but then again . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445March 29, 2024 5:38 PM

[quote]In the US, if you don’t take pay for cable how many free channels do you have, and are they worth watching?

I'll get flamed for this, but liberals in NYC still haven't made the connection between voting and safe streets. I bet every one of these people who got punched in the face voted for Adams because he is black and they could pat themselves on the back because they're not racist.

This stuff will stop happening when we stop the BLM justice system and return to putting people in jail and holding them there.

by Anonymousreply 446March 29, 2024 8:40 PM

R446 Adams ran on being the law and order candidate.

Police say the man charged with shooting Diller had at least 21 prior arrests.

Will officer Diller be memorialized in a statue like George Floyd or have a town square named after him!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447March 29, 2024 11:29 PM

[quote]the man charged with shooting Diller had at least 21 prior arrests.

21 prior arrests.

In any civilized country this guy would be seen as a menace to society and would have been put away in jail for a long time.

[quote] Adams ran on being the law and order candidate.

He's a Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 448March 29, 2024 11:53 PM

[quote]Adams ran on being the law and order candidate.

And stupid people voted for him believing he had the power to lock up criminals. Unfortunately, until the law is changed, he does not have that power.

Bring back bail!

by Anonymousreply 449March 30, 2024 12:07 AM

Mayor Adams launching a gun scanner initiative.

I swear, in five years, boarding the subway will be like getting on an airplane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450March 30, 2024 12:41 AM

The National Guard,

Now gun scanners.

Tell us again how crime has gone down.

by Anonymousreply 451March 30, 2024 1:33 AM

More news from 'the safest big city in America'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452March 31, 2024 1:59 AM

Easter Sunday in the safest big city in America

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453April 2, 2024 6:41 AM

If you can make it there . . .you can make it anywhere

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454April 2, 2024 6:43 AM

Easter Eggs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455April 2, 2024 6:46 AM

Sunday in the park

Woman assaulted with hammer in Central Park—hours after man attacked with rock

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456April 2, 2024 6:49 AM

[Quote] Is this the best place to ask how much cash a first-time visitor to NYC should carry on her?

a few dollars as robbers don't like it when you only have credit cards

by Anonymousreply 457April 2, 2024 6:59 AM

Crimes like this have been going on for decades in NYC. And they have been going on in other major cities as well. Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Houston, etc.

by Anonymousreply 458April 2, 2024 4:21 PM

Should that make us feels safer?

by Anonymousreply 459April 2, 2024 6:29 PM

[Quote]Crimes like this have been going on for decades in NYC

R458 Don't remember so many random, unprovoked assaults not the National Guard deployed to restore law and order in the subway

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460April 3, 2024 6:27 PM

A decade or so ago there was the' knockout game' now randomly punching women seems to be trending and it's happening in all neighborhoods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461April 3, 2024 6:32 PM

Make the violators pay their fare share!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462April 7, 2024 12:02 AM

The Old Gal's slipping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463April 7, 2024 8:30 AM

Something a bit more entertaining to break through the gloom and doom. Brit reacts to video about two other Brits trying bagels in NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464April 13, 2024 2:32 AM

Thanks r164, but I'm a Brit about to visit York to eat maybe bagels and definitely Korean food, but I find that Korean Englishman to be so boring. My non-Brit, bagel-loving girlfriend is a big fan of his and of the Jolly videos, though.

by Anonymousreply 465April 13, 2024 3:18 AM

This reactor is anything but boring.

by Anonymousreply 466April 13, 2024 10:33 AM

Best pizza in NYC?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467April 13, 2024 11:10 AM

Foreigners discovering the art NYC's best pizza is always entertaining. Even Italians don't expect NY pizza to be that good. But they had many decades perfecting it.

by Anonymousreply 468April 13, 2024 4:48 PM

If only NY's criminal justice system was on a par with its pizza and bagels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 469April 13, 2024 10:31 PM

After being closed for 3 years, The Vessel will reopen with some modifications

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470April 16, 2024 4:40 AM

Teresa Vasilopoulos, 64, who works in social services in Toronto, wondered if a suicide hotline phone might help, in addition to the netting. “It’s such a shame not to have it,” she said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471April 16, 2024 5:01 AM

I had some pizza at Scarrs yesterday, r468. It was very good, but not better than good Italian pizza.

by Anonymousreply 472April 16, 2024 10:21 AM

This is why people in my NY office want to work remotely more than just Mondays and Fridays

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473April 22, 2024 8:05 PM

random attacks are a daily occurrence

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474April 22, 2024 8:10 PM

A few weeks ago I was walking fast to catch a train at Penn Station. The Rangers game had just gotten out and there were lots of young male fans in the area. I'm in my 60s and I look it. I passed by a 40ish looking black man who decided to slam into me hard with his shoulder. He grunted as he slammed me but did not knock me down. I turned and looked at him and he was clearly deranged so I just kept walking. Thoughts after the incident: 1. He had his choice of young white men but picked me, 2. I'm grateful he didn't stab me, and 3. I'm going to be much more aware of my surroundings in the future. Especially in crowds.

by Anonymousreply 475April 22, 2024 8:21 PM

R474 "random attacks are a daily occurrence "

No shit Sherlock. Random attacks have been happening in big cities across the US forever and for different reasons.

by Anonymousreply 476April 22, 2024 8:38 PM

R476 lived in the NY metro area all my life, and this exceeds anything I remember, and my friends and coworkers feel the same way.

BTW Why so angry?

by Anonymousreply 477April 22, 2024 9:00 PM

Public transportation is so dangerous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478April 22, 2024 9:10 PM

R477 The only notable changes I see is that there are perhaps more people with mental issues in public, and that much of the crimes are being done by repeat offenders who are not being being charged or prosecuted. In general crime is due mostly by those in poverty and because of a bad economy.

by Anonymousreply 479April 22, 2024 9:30 PM

Look harder R479 Never remember the National Guard being deployed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480April 22, 2024 9:33 PM

That's because the NYPD and Transit police have abandoned the subway system for years, causing a vacuum that was filled by the homeless and mentally disturbed. All my life there was police presence on subway platform and on trains, and they even had plainclothes cops. Since the 1970s taking the train to my high school, college, and all the different jobs, and even coming home late at night. That stopped a few years ago. The only place you see any police today are at entrances of major hub stations.

by Anonymousreply 481April 22, 2024 10:04 PM

Mentally ill, homeless, migrants, protestors . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482April 24, 2024 5:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!